InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Night ❯ One Night ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha or "She Only Smokes When She Drinks"

AN: So I'm sitting in this nice little outdoor café in The Village with a couple of friends, when all of a sudden, the lights go out. All the shops around us are out along with the streetlights; you know the walk/don't walk signs? Anyway, we pay our bill and I have to walk back to the apartment I'm staying at, cuz the subways are down too! My apartment's in Manhattan! Turns out, lightening struck this power plant in Niagara Falls and almost all of the east coast is out of power. I'm typing on my battery powered laptop with a wireless Internet connection that I only just figured out how to use yesterday! (Thank God for small mercies!) Anyhoo, onto my sappy little songfic

Kagome sat at the bar, staring into her full glass of beer. She had hardly taken a sip in the half hour she had been there. The events of the day flew through her mind. It had been a tough day. Her boyfriend had been a bastard, as always. This time, she didn't take his crap. She had dumped his ass. Another successful relationship in the life of Kagome Higurashi. She sighed. On top of that, her boss had been giving her a hard time. The old creep had tried to hit on her again. She rested her head on her hand and swirled the contents of the glass. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a pack of Marlboro Lights. She stuck one in her mouth and fumbled with her lighter. Dammit! Even inanimate objects had decided to flip her off.

"Here." A silver lighter appeared in front of her, held by a large male hand. Great, just what she needed, another chauvinistic, pig-headed male trying to get into her pants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So you lit her cigarette

You're feelin' pretty good

You think you've got a shot

Most girls you probably would

Yeah this is that kind of place

But she ain't that kind of girl

You're readin' it all wrong

Let me tell you about her

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks" Oh well, might as well give him a chance. You never know, Prince Charming might be waiting around the corner. She mentally snorted. Yeah right, the only Prince you're ever gonna know is some crack head singing about purple rain. She turned to look at the man seated beside her. He stared straight ahead into the mirror behind the bar. Long silvery hair flowed down his back. It was punctuated by two large dog ears atop his head. Great, not only was it a guy, it was a demon as well. He held a Sam Adams in his other clawed hand. The reflection in the bar mirror was purely male. He was good looking, that was for sure, but Kagome had had her fill of good looking assholes. So far, things weren't going in his favor. She handed his lighter back to him and he smiled at her. Fangs peeked out over his lower lip. She wondered what it might feel like to run her tongue over those fangs. Whoa Kagome!!! Down girl! You don't even know the guy's name; he might turn out to be a bastard like Kouga.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She only smokes when she drinks

She only drinks now and then

Now and then when she's tired

Of bein' let down by men

You can give her a light

But it's not what you think

Everybody knows she only drinks alone

And she only smokes when she drinks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The band was tuning up in the corner and Kagome got a nasty suspicion he might ask her to dance. It's not that he wasn't handsome, most girls would kill for a guy with a body like that, she just didn't feel like getting let down again.

"My name's Inu Yasha."

"Kagome."

"Nice to meet you Kagome. What brings you to this part of town?" She lifted her glass, "Beer! What else? You?" Okay, so truth be told, she had had a few drinks before coming here and was slightly tipsy. He smiled sadly.

"Old memories. They're hard to wash away, you know?"

"Yeah." Boy did she ever. She was starting to warm up to the guy.

"Hey, Kagome?" Uh-oh, here it comes. "Would you like to dance?" She shook her head slowly, a soft smile on her face. Men were so predictable.

"No thanks, tonights about me and an old memory. You know how they are."

"Yeah."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you ask her dance?

Let me guess, she told you no

Got to take her someplace quiet

And see how far that goes

Oh, don't take it all that hard

When she smiles and turns you down

For a complicated girl

She ain't that hard to figure out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes passed and both stared into their glasses. Neither spoke. Finally, Inu Yasha broke the silence. "Do you want to go somewhere with me?" Kagome's immediate reaction was to shake her head again. But she stopped herself. This guy was really sweet. He seemed to have the same sort of problems she was having. Maybe she'd give him this one chance. She smiled slowly.

"Where would you take me?" He looked surprised, as if he had not expected her to accept. Good, not too cocky. Clearing his throat, he bravely soldiered on.

"There's this nice jazz club my friend plays at." Shrugging, what the hell, Kagome agreed.

Three hours later, they exited the club. Both were smiling crazily. The music had been great, the atmosphere sexy. Caught up in the mood, Inu Yasha leaned down to kiss her. Suddenly, Kagome was gripped by the cold hand of fear. What if he had only asked her out so he could have a one night stand? Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. She waited for the bruising, violent kiss. And waited. Finally, she felt the faint brush of his lips against hers as he planted a chaste kiss lightly on the corner of her mouth.

"Can I have your number?" he asked huskily. What? No sleazy pickup line? He wasn't going to ask her to come back to his place? Maybe, just maybe, this guy was different.

"Sure." She wrote her number on an old CVS receipt. "There." she murmured as she pressed it into his hand.

He helped her into a taxi and watched it drive away, his hand clenched on the thin piece of paper. He would defiantly be calling soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She only smokes when she drinks

She only drinks now and then

Now and then when she's tired

Of bein' let down by men

You can give her a light

But it's not what you think

Everybody knows she only drinks alone

And she only smokes when she drinks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inside the cab, Kagome hugged herself, basking in that giddy childish feeling. Inu Yasha, even the name gave her shivers. Perhaps she had found her Prince Charming after all.