InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Respect ❯ One-Shot ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Respect
 
This was meant to be some kind of interaction between InuYasha and Sesshoumaru, but it kind of twisted. It's really fluffy and meant to be cute. I really tried to make Sesshoumaru as in-character as possible. But you can't show emotion with someone so stoic. I hope you like this, even though I wrote in ten minutes.
 
Fear was meant to be his kind of respect.
 
He did not rule with sweet words and favors. He ruled with an iron fist, strong enough to strangle any resistance, any chance to end his tyranny. No one would ever earn the respect that he hides behind that stoic mask. Fear, not respect, is what held his reign together.
 
`Lord Sesshoumaru…why are they all scared?' Rin asked, eyeing with sadness the assembly of demons that all stood at attention. Sesshoumaru could smell the fear that wafted from their scents and the looks of sheer terror on their faces. They knew he was Alpha, because he had made it that clear.
 
`They know to fear me.' He had answered simply, an answer that made Rin know it was better than to push further. She took another step towards a weak tai-inuyoukai and smiled at him, bowing deeply at his presence. He relaxed slightly and moved his lips up a little, a cruel imitation of the 100-watt smile that lit up the girl's face.
 
Fear…fear is something solid, like shackles that keep his subjects bound tightly to him. Rin had never achieved this lesson, preferring instead to smile and bow in her weird way in the face of fear, something that confused him to no end. `Didn't she know when to sit back and take orders?' Of course, he had never tried teaching her such a lesson.
 
He had noticed it again, when facing his brother. Rin had been nearby, and Sesshoumaru had only stopped to comment on InuYasha's seemingly growing stupidity. He hadn't missed the smile and little dip of her head his charge had given the hanyou. Maybe it was the only thing keeping InuYasha from hunting him down and demanding a fight.
 
One day, he had confronted the girl on such things.
 
`Rin, why must you bow to ones that are beneath you?' he pondered. Weak youkai and his idiot brother were certainly underneath this girl, the only one he had dubbed worthy to be kept after. Rin just smiled back at him.
 
`This Rin likes to be nice to others. This Rin's mother had told her me that “if it's nice that you wonder how, then flash a smile, give a bow.” This Rin still believes that. This Rin does not want to hurt any other person with mean things.' She said, laughing at a butterfly that had landed on her nose. Sesshoumaru stood back, as stoic as ever.
 
Maybe Rin had something to this “being nice”. Although his iron fist would remain down, he had thought ways in which to be nicer to Rin. She alone was worth it; the others did not deserve such privileges as his feelings.
 
They had stopped again, only halfway to his castle. Rin had left with Jaken to get some flowers in a field within ear shot. He could hear the faint giggling of the girl and Jaken's petty rants. He turned back at the small pond where they made up camp and frowned at his reflection. He turned to the water and bowed deeply.
 
`I look like an idiot.' He growled to himself, leaning back up. He refused to made himself look like a fool in front of another person like that, so the idea of showing respect to Rin in such a way was out of the question. Besides, it would be extremely awkward and out of character.
 
Rin and Jaken came back a couple of minutes later, Jaken covered head to toe with flower wreaths and Rin wearing one in her hair and clasping one in her hands.. The green youkai seemed to be muttering something darkly in his floral bondage. Rin slipped the flowers onto Sesshoumaru's head.
 
`Rin?'
 
`Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru?'
 
`Why must you bow to Jaken?'
 
`Well…'Rin said, staring up at him from Ah-Un. Jaken was ahead, scouting a place for camp. `Master Jaken has been through so much, and he has to work for you everyday. I feel bad for him, and I think he deserves a little respect...'
 
Respect? The only respect he knew was fear. He doubted whether Rin would take kindly of him showing her his version of respect, he had no intentions of harming the girl at all. While he growled at the notion of having flowers on top of his head, he flexed the most unused muscles of his body and smiled toothily at the girl below him. It was actually kind of painful to strain such things unused, and the smile disappeared as soon as it had come. But Rin still saw the fleeting flash of teeth.
 
She brightened up and smiled brilliantly. Sesshoumaru sighed, his unwillingness to go through with this was only beaten be his confusion as to why he would go through such an act. Facing her and squaring his shoulders tightly, he leaned his torso forward a couple of inches before rising again. Now Rin was eagerly returning the bow, and Sesshoumaru was deeply glad Jaken was trapped in flowers as to not see such an act.
 
“Thank you Rin.” His voice was still as cold-hearted as ever, but Rin felt warmed by it.
 
Sesshoumaru ruled with an iron fist. But maybe there was a chip in that fist, a soft spot that actually let him release some form of his feelings bottled up by the title of Inu no Taisho. And, staring at the raven-haired child before, maybe he had found his soft spot. A human girl that showed how to be…kind.
 
`…This Rin thinks everyone deserves a little respect. And This Rin's mother told her that respect equals love.'
 
Sesshoumaru twitched at the last part. While he will admit that he respected Rin for teaching him kindness, he was still a long way from loving anyone or anything.
 
I must just end up throwing all of the One-Shots I write for inufic_contest into one packet instead of so many 1,000 word pieces.