InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter Nine: Discussions ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Nine

A/N: Hello, again! I want to thank all of you who have reviewed my story. While your reviews are not necessary, they are very welcome. (After all, I do have an ego to maintain!) Anyway, I have people who are impatient for another chapter, and I did say that I was feeling creative, so let's get on with it! By the way, I don't own Inuyasha.

While Daremo questioned the wisdom of beginning the search for the demon lord Sesshomaru at dusk, he held his council. He could tell that Inuyasha was in no mood to have his decisions questioned. Daremo also thought that if he gave Inuuyasha some time, he might find out what that spectacle with the Lady Kagome was about. 'Thank the gods that there is a full moon tonight.' he thought. 'At least we can travel without running into anything!' Daremo ducked a tree limb that had appeared in the gloom. 'As long as I pay attention, that is!'

They traveled on in silence, the only noise heard was that of the horse's hoofs and it's breathing.

After about three hours of travel, clouds obscurred the moon. The darkness was total and Daremo could barely make out his horse's head and could only catch glimpses of Inuyasha's white hair. Reluctantly, he called out "Hold, my lord!" as he brought his mount to a halt.

The young hanyou appeared out of the darkness to stand next to Daremo's panting horse. "What's the problem?" he demanded, testily. "I thought that you wanted to deliver that message to my brother."

"Yes, my lord. But the moon has been covered by clouds and I can no longer follow you in safety. Besides, I must rest my horse soon or he could founder." He reached down and patted his tired horse on the neck.

grrrr "Very well. But if the moon comes back out, we will resume our journey. I had just come upon a small clearing when you called me. You and your horse can rest there." He turned on his heel and marched off into the darkness, leaving Daremo to follow him.

"Come on, boy. Just a little farther and I'll give you a rub down and some food and water." His horse bobbed his head and nickered softly. Daremo chuckled lightly. 'I don't care if the moon does come out. My horse needs rest and a few hours won't hurt.' With that thought, he kicked his mount lightly in the ribs with his heels to get him to follow Inuyasha. He soon entered the clearing that Inuyasha had described. He could make out Inuyasha's form in the center of the clearing. The hanyou appeared to be looking at the sky. As he swung down from his horse, he heard Inuyasha say, "Cold camp. I don't want to fool with putting out a fire when the clouds break."

"Yes, my lord." replied Daremo as he began caring for his mount.

sigh "How many times must I tell you.... Oh, just skip it."

After Daremo was finished caring for his horse, he broke out some journey food. "My lord, would you care for something to eat?"

"No." replied Inuyasha, a bit testily. "I'm not hungry."

"I'll bet if it were ramen, he would eat it." Daremo muttered to his horse.

"I probably would, but we left all the ramen with the others."

Startled that Inuyasha had heard him, Daremo quickly apologized. "Forgive me, my lord! I meant no disrespect!"

"Will you cut that out!? I'm not going to kill you for a breach of etiquite! I'm not as hung up on rules of behavior as some are."

"I had noticed." commented Daremo drily. "But when dealing with an unknown noble, it is always better to ere on the side of caution. You keep your head longer that way."

Inuyasha chuckled at that statement. "I've never been treated like a noble, so I don't think of myself as one. You're not a bad guy, Daremo. Just try to think of me as a fellow warrior."

"Very well. Then I would like to ask something, as warrior to warrior."

"Go ahead."

"What happened during your fight with that demon? I was busy with the wolves and then with the other demons of that pack so I didn't see your battle with the wolf demon leader."

Inuyasha stood silent for a moment. "Kagome interfered."

"She interfered? What did she ... oh gods, she didn't!"

The hanyou nodded. "I was about to kill Kouga when she sat me." he said flatly.

"But why? She doesn't love that demon, does she?"

"NO!" Inuyasha shouted. grrr "She just has this bad habit of seeing the good in everybody! She thinks of Kouga as her friend. If she knew what he did, what he said, she would change her mind about him real fast!" Daremo could hear the frustration in Inuyasha's voice.

"Why didn't she hear him? She was within earshot of your battle."

"He spoke in youkai so that she wouldn't understand him. He planned to eat me for supper and then force Kagome to be his mate!"

"So he planned to rape her. If I had known that, I would have killed him, myself!"

Inuyasha looked at Daremo in surprise.

"I will not stand for the abuse of a woman while I can prevent it. I have killed men in my own command for attacking the women of a captured village after a battle is over."

"That is ... rare."

"It is what's right."

Inuyasha nodded in agreement. "Anyway, Kagome sat me and told Kouga to get away. Instead, he decided that it would be the perfect oppurtunity to kill me since I couldn't fight back, the coward!"

"And that is when I saw him and threw my short sword at him."

"Yes. By the way, thanks for saving my life. I know I'm taking you to Sesshomaru as reward, but I still need to say it."

"It is what warriors do for each other. Perhaps you will save my life, someday."

Inuyasha was silent for a moment. "Well, you saw the rest. After it was done, I had to get out of there before I said or did something that I couldn't forgive myself for."

"Forgive yourself?" asked Daremo "Don't you mean that the lady Kagome couldn't forgive you for?"

"No. I don't think that there is anything that Kagome couldn't forgive me for, given time. That's just the way she is."

"And are you still mad at her?"

"Yes. But I love her so much that it will pass, eventually."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Suddenly, Daremo stiffened. "Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha was on his feet instantly, his hand to his weapon. "What is it, Daremo?"

"I just had a thought! You took something from the wolf demon's legs?"

"Yeah, his jewel shards. They made him faster."

"And you did not kill him."

"Yeah. Where is this going, Daremo?" Inuyasha was beginning to feel uneasy.

"What is to prevent him from gathering his pack and coming after those shards, plus the other shards, and the lady Kagome?"

"Oh gods! And I left her! Follow when day breaks, Daremo! I've got to get back!" Inuyasha took of at a dead run. 'Stay safe, Kagome! I'm coming!'

A/N: Hi there. This idea just came to me. I thought that it could be interesting so I decided to write it in. Sesshomaru will be putting in an appearance soon and I will eventually get to Inuyasha's family, so be patient and enjoy the ride.