InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shrine Prostitute ❯ Determination ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Shrine Prostitute by FlameTwirler
 
~ ~ ~
 
Chapter 21: Determination
----- The ascertaining of the character of something
----- the quality of being resolute
----- deciding or controlling something's outcome or nature
----- The settling of a question or case by an authoritative decision, especially by a judicial body
 
~ ~ ~
 
Kagome was a nervous bundle of tension as she strode into the court next to Sango, both eagerly anticipating and dreading this appointment. Sango had been working for months to get her case heard by the Middle Court, researching and preparing, making call after call, dealing with transfers and long waits. Now she was finally having her first hearing and had somehow managed to make Kagome her rider, so that Kagome could have her own case heard as well without having to go through all those months of red tape first.
 
Of course, given that she was the secondary party, she wouldn't be given as much time to state her appeal. Still, just the mere fact that she'd been allowed in such a place and that Sango had given her such an opportunity had her in awe - and of course, severe trepidation.
 
Kagome'd had to hastily throw together what she wanted to say to the court, what she thought she could possibly get away with. If she thought there was any possibility that she could march up to them and just say, “Hey, give hanyou equal rights you bigots!” she'd do it without a thought. But not only would she probably be tackled by the guards the moment the word `hanyou' was out of her mouth in a raised voice, she'd probably also be jailed and would only be a detriment to the entire cause. After all, there weren't any other activists as far as she knew, and if she gave the cause a bad name by appearing crazy it would be much less likely to draw supporters.
 
She drew a deep breath as she took her seat on the hard wooden bench in the courtroom, barely noticing when Sango stepped forward to address the eight court members sitting at the high bench. Her friend hadn't been sure she'd be able to finagle in a rider, thus allowing Kagome to speak her bit, so she hadn't informed her of the meeting until the week prior. Kagome had to admire her tact and her wish not to raise her hopes but thought wryly the timing could have been better. With only a week, in which she had little free time to begin with between working at Houjo's clinic and going to classes, she'd had precious few moments to piece together what to argue and still wasn't quite sure what she'd say when actually faced with the moment.
 
Suddenly Sango was moving back to the benches to take her seat, sending a significant glance her way, and Kagome stood with a muffled squeak. She hadn't heard a word her friend had said, didn't know if the court had decided in her favor, or even if they'd made a decision yet. She gulped as Sango motioned her forward and she knew it was time to fight for what she knew was right. It might not be in the most elegant manner but any step forward was better than staying stationary.
 
“Honorable members of the court,” Kagome began, realizing she didn't know who to address. She was sure the council member's names had been announced when they entered but Kagome missed it and, though they each had name plaques in front of them, her eyes wouldn't focus enough to read them. All of a sudden she saw her angle and just prayed it would take her in the right direction.
 
“I wish to ask that my home - the shrine where I work and live - be declared a safe haven.”
 
The court looked perplexed at this and one of the female youkai near the center spoke. “If your home is truly a shrine what need have you to declare it a sanctuary? Tradition dictates that they already are.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath. “Yes, tradition states that, but a good lawyer can get around tradition if it is not explicitly stated in law.”
 
The female youkai, who appeared to be a panther if she guessed right, quirked her brow. “You think you'll have need to defend your home in a court of law?”
 
“I honestly hope I will never have to but it is always smart to be prepared for any circumstances.”
 
“Then you think you are facing some particular circumstances that may require having a sanctuary.” It wasn't a question but a statement, and one that demanded an answer at that.
 
“I wish to open my home to both youkai and humans, plus all who travel with them.” She added the last in her own attempt to include hanyou in any and all decisions made that day.
 
“And why would you do that?”
 
Kagome quirked her own brow at that, attempting with all her effort not to appear overbearing as she asked, “Why would that matter?”
 
The immediate rumbling of the court had her rushing to explain. “I mean, I have no objection to telling you at all, but I'm simply asking for protection for all sentient beings no matter their situation. Whether I have friends over for tea or open an S&M club doesn't change the inherent rights of those participating.”
 
The female youkai glowered at the young woman and, while the other youkai sent the panther speaking glances, they chose not to address her directly. Kagome realized the female must be the mouth of the group, or at least of the youkai half. “You have made your point, though you might want to be more careful how you phrase things in the future. What does that have to do with your situation either way? Unless of course you are planning to open an S&M club, which we might have to object to seeing as you are referring to your home as a shrine.” The youkai cut herself off upon seeing Kagome's flush. “I take it that is not your intention then?” Kagome vigorously shook her head. “Well, what is it then?”
 
“I have made friends with some youkai in the neighboring suburbs.” The court looked surprised at this but not overly so which gave her the courage to plod on. “Some of them have children and we have been giving them some lessons. We had been meeting at one of the youkai's houses but we've outgrown it a bit. Plus the youkai have become concerned for my safety walking through their neighborhood constantly. Given the physical superiority of youkai they felt it would be wiser for all parties and inviting less potential danger if we met in a more neutral territory and since my home is a shrine it seems the perfect fit.”
 
Finally one of the humans spoke and he asked, “How did you first meet the youkai, if you don't mind me asking?”
 
Kagome was startled for a second; she hadn't expected that. “What does that have to do with the case?”
 
He smiled benignly. “It doesn't, I'm merely curious.”
 
“I simply realized how oblivious I had been to the existence of youkai. My suburb even abuts a youkai community and I had never come across one before. I did a little bit of research, found out that each had laws that basically protected them from each other and that there was nothing prohibiting interaction, so I went exploring. It was all rather interesting and I kept going back, and though some youkai were obviously displeased with my presence and ignored me others finally spoke back to me.” It was a slight stretching of the truth but not really.
 
“Very interesting,” he said, sitting back. “You are a very unique young woman, Miss Higurashi. Most people would have been afraid of youkai and here you have befriended them.”
 
She shrugged. “I don't see any reason to be more afraid of them than my own kind. Yes, they're physically stronger, but then again many humans could overpower me or at least harm me with a weapon. If they had the intention then I don't see how a human isn't equally as dangerous as a youkai, if not more so because some are so blinded by prejudice. Nothing I know gives me the impression that a youkai has any more reason to harm me than a human so I don't see why I would be afraid.”
 
“Very intelligent too,” he murmured. “I see no reason we cannot grant this request; it seems simple enough.” He peered around at his fellow council members and was greeting with nods, shrugs, and words of affirmation. He took out the forms in front of him, carefully perused them, and then signed it, passing it to the chairman next to him. The papers passed in that manner until they stopped in the hands of Lady Shunran, the fourth member in line, when the first male spoke again.
 
“One last question though - why is this group giving lessons to the children? Is their schooling in some way deficient?”
 
“Yes,” she answered, and the man's look of indulgent benevolence was replaced by one of shock at the sudden coldness in her voice.
 
“Go on, Miss Higurashi, please tell us.”
 
“They are unable to receive any education on account of the fact that their parents were from two different species.”
 
At that the panther spoke up again. “That shouldn't be. Though it's not very common it's far from unheard of for different species of youkai to mate. If their school districts are displaying undue prejudice…”

Kagome mentally sneered at the use of the term `undue prejudice' - as if any type prejudice was ever truly justified. As steadily as she could she corrected the council's misinterpretation of her words. “I wasn't referring to two different youkai species.”
 
She let the words ruminate in the room for a moment and felt more than heard or saw their collective shock. “You mean…hanyou?” spoke the human, censure ripe in his tone.
 
“Yes, I mean hanyou.” She sighed inwardly. She'd known the subject would have to come up or her whole meeting with the Middle Court would be useless but she also knew she was now facing a very cold, demeaning argument that likely wouldn't get her anywhere.
 
“My dear, you can't be serious.” And there it was - just with the mention of hanyou she'd gone from `Miss Higurashi' to `my dear,' like an errant granddaughter.
 
Fire flickered in her eyes. “I assure you, I am. There is no reason for them to not have the same, equal rights as their parents. Even as your fellow member, Lady Shunran-” she squinted to read the nameplate in front of the panther youkai, figuring that the youkai must keep the antiquated titles they'd held for so long, “- pointed out there is intermarriage between distinct youkai species, which you could argue are separate but equal, yet there is no movement to disallow their children from any advantages normally given to youkai children. I fail to see the difference here.”
 
An odd look passed over Lady Shunran's face. “One of those children is your own then.”
 
“No, but that doesn't mean I won't stand up for them when no one else will.” The youkai sat back in her seat and Kagome could see she had stunned them all - again. Well at least there's something to be said for consistency, she mused.
 
The others in the court felt they had found a weakness though and exploited it. “If you have no direct, legal correlation to any of them then you honestly have no legal standpoint on which to demand any changes to the current laws on their behalf.”
 
Kagome could almost hear their collective sigh of relief that they would not have to be the ones to grapple with that very dangerous topic - at least not that day. She quirked her head to the side and gave a wry smile. “I don't believe I was. I merely came to ask that my shrine be declared a sanctuary. As I mentioned earlier, what I plan to do there doesn't really have any bearing on that fact. I will notify the policemen in the area about what is going on to prevent any misunderstandings. I am sure they will watch us like hawks and wish me to my own health for doing something they'll likely consider stupid and dangerous. However, unless any of us does anything illegal they cannot detain us even if we have our meetings without the extra protection of sanctuary status.”
 
She couldn't help herself and glanced quickly at the paper in Lady Shunran's hands, though the youkai caught the movement. “If any of us so much as jaywalks I'm sure we will be held responsible with no leniency but I'm also sure that if any of the policemen abuse the situation you will be hearing about it immediately.”
 
She shrugged. “I'm not asking for your permission to educate them; I don't need that. I simply ask for a status that will make us feel more protected and all the neighboring inhabitants feel more comfortable. That and I felt it would be the proper thing to do to let you know beforehand what I am planning so that the next time I appear before your court, for whatever reason, you'll be prepared.”
 
“You do also understand though,” spoke a new, younger human male that she hadn't heard yet, “that if you achieve your sanctuary status that it puts you on shaky legal ground. If, for instance, any of the hanyou, youkai, or humans commit an infraction and then attain your home before they are caught by the police that a special squadron would then have to be called in and that, in effect, your entire household will be under house arrest for the duration?”
 
Nodding, Kagome confirmed she understood. “To me that seems safest anyhow. Would you really want a ningen street policeman tangling with a youkai or hanyou? That's why the separate forces exist and that's yet another reason that I'm angling for this status. As I mentioned, it's not only a protection for those involved in the schooling aspect. I love and respect my community and wouldn't want to invite any danger to their front door. To me this seems the best case for all involved.”
 
“And the fact that it gives hanyou a modicum of safety is just an added bonus?”
 
Kagome sucked in her breath, wondering if he was being snide. The younger man's face remained wide and open though and she was curious whether he was truly just making an observation. `Nobunaga,' his nameplate read and she made a mental note to remember him. “Exactly,” she replied, smiling up at him.
 
“Well then, it seems to me this is a pretty straight-forward request. We had all mostly decided to allow the change in status and with everything Miss Higurashi has presented, especially with what she plans regardless of our decision, I see no reason to deny her. Anyone else?”
 
No one spoke. After a moment of silence Lady Shunran spoke again. “Then all who are in favor of changing the status of the,” she glanced down at the brief report the cleric had offered her when Kagome had come up to speak, “the Higurashi Shrine to that of `sanctuary' raise their right hands.”
 
All hands went up, even if some were much slower than others, and Kagome was so thrilled she failed to notice the mutinous look from a few of those on the council. Lady Shunran bent to sign the form herself then passed it along. The rest of the tedium and decorum of the meeting passed quickly, almost a blur to Kagome, and when she was on her way out the doors with Sango by her side she couldn't believe that the sun was setting.
 
When they were finally away from the building she giggled nervously, exclaiming, “I can't believe I did that!”
 
Sango gripped her arm to make her turn and face her. “That certainly was something else. Do you have any idea what you just did?”
 
Shakily she wiped at her forehead. “Yeah. I went off on a tangent about how I was basically declaring war with society - and them - over the state of hanyou rights. What amazed me was that their reaction was so mild. I mean it felt like they were just smiling and saying they'd be waiting!”
 
“You weren't paying very close attention then, were you?”
 
Kagome shot her a sharp glance. “I guess I wasn't. I was too nervous to focus on much of anything but I thought I was doing pretty well by the end there. Why, what did I miss?”
 
Sango sighed at her friend. “You may have gotten neutral faces from the ones who you were speaking with directly but there were definitely some angry faces up there. I doubt you'll find them as placid next time when you start actually pushing them into uncomfortable territory, especially now that you've given them time to prepare their own arguments.”
 
Kagome hung her head, exasperated. “I should have known I'd gotten off entirely too easily.” Standing up straight she shook it off. “Oh well, it went as well as I could have possibly hoped so that's something to be grateful for at least. The first step is done and now all I can do is look forward. Besides, if they get overly upset about it and it becomes a big issue maybe it'll get some press coverage. We'll be bound to get more sympathizers that way, even if there is more opposition as well. Still, nothing truly changes without the tide of public sentiment. Plus, for them to be angry it means they think I have a chance of actually changing things - if I wasn't a threat in any way then it wouldn't bother them in the least.” This last thought cheered her greatly and she smiled, picking up her walk again.
 
Bemused, Sango shook her head at her friend's cheer, nearly plowing straight into her when Kagome stopped again suddenly.
 
“Oh, I'm a jerk,” she moaned. “I'm sorry, Sango, I'm the worst friend. I wasn't paying any attention at all when you were addressing the court. How did it go?”
 
“It wasn't a big deal,” she assured her as she linked arms in order to get her to start forward momentum again. “I told you before we came that this was just a preliminary hearing to outline some of the paperwork that needs to be laid down first. There are no forms that exist for something like this so we had to agree on something I could even create in the first place - which I suppose is something they must need to do on a regular basis since that part went so easily.
 
“They appeared a bit uncomfortable with the idea of cross-cultural civil suits but they seemed interested at the same time, which can only be a good thing. After all this I don't think it will be terribly difficult to achieve, just that it will take years upon years of legal documentation and red tape. It won't be fun but I'll get it done.”
 
Kagome smiled at the determination in her voice. “I know you will. And Sango?”
 
“Hm?” She was distracted already, thinking of a place close by where they could scrounge up some dinner.
 
“Thank you. I know you didn't have to add me as a rider and that it was a lot of extra work for you to figure out how to do it. It means a lot.”
 
Sango smiled at her, one of those true, genuine smiles that she saw so few of but made her friend's face simply glow. “You're my friend, Kagome, why wouldn't I help you in such a situation when I'm the only one who could?”
 
Kagome left unsaid the part where Sango wasn't fully and completely behind the hanyou cause yet. She knew that hadn't been the point, but that Sango was pulling strings for her because she was the only one with the advantage.
 
“I can't wait for you to meet Inuyasha,” she said instead, excitement obvious in her voice. “I know you'll just love him. Well, either that or you'll clash like cats and dogs - no pun intended. He's stubborn, brash, and tough so either you two will become best friends or you'll always rub each other the wrong way.”
 
She laughed at Sango's raised eyebrow, knowing she was questioning how she'd implied her personality was the same as said `brash' hanyou's. “It'll be great. I know we leave the day after tomorrow but I've been packed for a week already!”
 
“A little impatient, are we?”
 
She slapped her lightly on the arm. “You know I am. What about you? Are things all set for meeting Miroku?”
 
“Yeah,” she said, showing her nerves slightly. “I'll meet him first, get whatever information I can out of him, then you can come join us when you're, um, through.”
 
Kagome couldn't help but giggle at Sango's blush and discomfort. “Just remember you don't have to do anything - he has no right to force anything on you or even touch you without your permission so you're safe. You could even choose to be in a public room or the back gardens if you'd feel better that way.”
 
Sango slowly shook her head. “That might be possible but I bet he'd be more likely to share his information if there was less possibility of it being overheard. You never know though, maybe he's an open book and the rest of the Bacana Shrine already knows his history. We'll just have to see.”
 
“Yes,” agreed Kagome, dragging her along, “we'll see. Now come on, I'm hungry! Let's find some place to eat.”
 
“All right.”
 
~ ~ ~
 
Kagome walked with Sango into the entrance of the Bacana Shrine together and, despite her rush to see Inuyasha, she hung back for her friend's sake. She could sense both Sango's awe and hesitancy. It was certainly understandable: not only did the building resemble a palace - seeing as it was the temple to the deity of wealth, love and prosperity - but it was also something of a shock to walk from the normal world into a place that doubled as a bordello.
 
She skimmed the large foyer, trying to see if she could spot the tetsudai they were set to meet. As soon as she and Sango had gotten off the train in town she'd called the reception line to request for Miroku to meet them in the front rooms rather than in his own private quarters. Sango was dubious about the safety of meeting a prostitute, even a religious one, anywhere but in a public setting. Seeing as how it wasn't an odd request given that many newcomers liked to meet their tetsudai first before engaging in any worship, Kagome didn't think anything about it when she made the call…until Kazuma picked up the phone.
 
With a gargled squeak she fumbled the phone before shoving it into Sango's hands, waving her on to take over for her. Sango threw her a curious glance but continued on in what seemed an uneventful conversation, though she did seem to be caught off guard when he asked her age. She answered a hesitant, “23?” which he didn't seem to approve of from the tone of his voice, but Kagome didn't overhear him make any comment aside from his unhappy grumblings. Irritated and thinking back to all her bad experiences with the man, Kagome crossed her arms, assuming he simply must not like it when any tetsudai he didn't like - or maybe anyone other than him at all - had access to any young, pretty clients as worshippers.
 
Rolling her eyes at the petulant way he behaved, Kagome then proceeded to answer all of Sango's questions about her odd behavior with the phone. She'd mentioned Kazuma and what a lousy character he had before, so as soon as Kagome informed her who she'd actually had been talking to, it made sense. She wouldn't have wanted to deal with such a slimeball either.
 
Luckily she'd found out Miroku was free for the first spot of the night so he would be meeting them in the lobby. Sango hadn't wanted to make an appointment since she would have felt guilty taking time away from a genuine worshipper when she'd truly be doing nothing to honor the deity of the Shrine, so she had been hoping to be fit in just whenever he had some spare time. She fervently wished it wouldn't take long anyhow.
 
Now as they walked in Sango spotted the tetsudai and instantly knew it was him, despite all the others milling around the entryway during the Shrine's busy hours. He had an air of careless ease about him, a smile that said he could charm his way out of any situation - or perhaps into any situation might be more accurate as she wasn't sure what crime he could commit that would warrant legalized prostitution as a valid punishment - and he immediately started toward them.
 
Kagome felt Sango stiffen beside her and nudged her forward. “Remember, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do,” she whispered to her in encouragement. “You're the paying customer and can do anything you want - within reason.”
 
Sango glanced toward her friend at the bitter tone in those last words but understood all too well that the situation with her tetsudai was completely different.
 
“Anyhow,” she said, shrugging off the dampening mood, “the point is that this is a business. Granted, it's a religious one, but it's a business all the same and you know they all go by the motto `The customer is always right'. It's no different here, so please relax before you snap something.”
 
Sango forcibly loosened the muscles in her fingers that were beginning to spasm from how tightly she'd been holding her fist. She eyed the tetsudai walking toward them, hoping his carefree manner would work to their advantage and it wouldn't take her long to get the information they needed. The sooner she had it, the sooner she could take her leave of him.
 
“Were you this nervous your first time here?” she chanced to ask Kagome, noting that the tetsudai had been waylaid by an older woman who clutched at his arm and looked like she wouldn't be letting go anytime soon. From the familiar way she handled him, Sango wondered fleetingly if that was his mother and, if so, what she thought of her son working as a religious prostitute.
 
Kagome's chuckling drew her back. “Oh, you have no idea, Sango. I was a nervous wreck. Just remember, as embarrassed and tense as you are right now at least you know you don't have to do anything. I'd been sent here by my family for a full month, so I knew I'd be having to follow through.”
 
Sango conceded the point. Then turning back to the tetsudai still approaching them she cocked her head in puzzlement, causing Kagome to turn as well. The man was almost literally dragging the little old lady as she doggedly hung onto him. As he was almost to them Sango called out hesitantly, “Are you Miroku?”
 
Only when she finally addressed him did the woman finally give up her clutch on the much younger man, though she gave him a look that was a cross between a huffy pout and a leering wink as she took her leave. After doing so she tottered her way to the other side of the room before leaning against the wall and staring at them pointedly.
 
Miroku turned to the two of them and laughed, even if it did seem in both relief and nervousness, and neither woman was quite sure what to make of him. “Ah, you must be the ladies I was sent out here to meet. I wasn't aware there would be two of you - the kamis have declared me a lucky man tonight.” He said it in such a heartfelt manner that Kagome couldn't help but laughing, even after she received a reproving look and slight nudge in the ribs from her friend.
 
“No, no, I'll be seeing my regular tetsudai tonight. You're going to have the pleasure of Sango's company all to yourself.”
 
He turned his full attention to her then and Sango had to work not to fidget under his gaze. “I daresay that won't be any hardship at all now, will it?”
 
Sango, uncomfortable with where his mind had obviously wandered, hurriedly changed the subject. “But what about the lady you were just with - we must be holding you from something important if a woman her age is coming to speak with you this late at night. Who is she, your mother or grandmother or some other relation?”
 
Miroku choked and bent over slightly, leaving his face hidden to her behind his hair. He put one hand to his chest and, though his shoulders shook lightly, he held up his other hand to wave them off. With great effort he pulled himself together and was amused by the two completely different reactions he saw from the two women in front of him. The one going to the other tetsudai was looking highly amused, if not slightly scandalized, and he gathered she knew exactly what was going on.
 
The other though - Sango, he reminded himself - looked worried, as though he'd just had a coughing fit, but also obviously questioned his sanity at his reaction. He'd have wondered at her naivete but her bearing belied such an innocence. Still, he didn't see how the situation could be anything other than blatantly obvious. That said, she intrigued him as much as her staid air amused him.
 
“No, no relation at all, and she has nothing of importance to speak to me about. It will hold for another time and, believe me, there will be another time. So think no more of it. Now, if I recall, my manners have been quite remiss. I need to introduce myself: my name is Miroku, humble tetsudai and servant to the kamis and any pretty ladies who happen upon my way.”
 
He smirked and neither woman had trouble believing he had any difficulties with the latter part of his statement. “I haven't the pleasure of your name yet.” He looked pointedly at the younger of the two, and Sango only shook he head when Kagome seemed even further bemused by his gallantry.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry. My name's Kagome. It's nice to meet you, Miroku.”
 
“And I you.” He then turned slightly to give his full attention to the other. “And you, then, are the lovely Sango. It is especially nice to meet you.” At that he picked up Sango's hand and kissed the inside of her wrist - a very forward, bold move but nothing out of the ordinary for a prostitute, she supposed. Still, Sango turned bright red and stood even more stiffly so that Kagome had to stifle her giggles with her hand.
 
“Well, since you two are getting along so well this seems a good time to take my leave. After all, I have my own reunion waiting.”
 
Sango saw the barely contained excitement and jitters in her friend and, though she wished she could prevail upon Kagome to stay just a moment longer while she got her bearings around this obviously lecherous man, she knew her friend had already given more time than she should have. Sango didn't want to make her wait any longer and with a smile told her, “Go on, then. Oh, but do try to remember to say `hi' to him sometime tonight for me.” She made a little shooing motion with her hands, if for no other excuse than to extract hers from where Miroku was still holding on, and Kagome needed no further encouragement. She all but ran to the entry hallway on the other side of the reception room.
 
With a little sigh to steel her nerves, somehow just knowing the night was going to be trying with this overly-charming tetsudai, she turned back to face him. “So where can we go that we can have a little privacy?”
 
He appeared a bit confused by her question. “All the tetsudai are given private quarters, of course. Is that why you're so nervous? You don't have to worry about any kind of audience or interruptions.”
 
“No,” she said, shaking her head. “I know this must be unconventional,” she pondered the irony of such a statement in a brothel - they probably weren't high on convention there, “but I really just want to talk. No touching, no worship, just information.”
 
Miroku took a step back to assess her. “And what would this be about?”
 
She looked around nervously, not wanting to out him in case his situation wasn't explicitly known around the Shrine, but also not wanting her reasons for needing the information to be overheard. “Couldn't we go somewhere first? Anywhere besides your room?”
 
“I'm afraid that's the only way to get me to talk at all.” He smiled widely and she narrowed her eyes in suspicion, wondering what he had up his sleeve.
 
“I know I won't be taking advantage of your…services, but I am still a paying customer and I was under the impression that what we did during the time I paid for was determined by my preferences. If I choose to talk and to be somewhere other than your room what difference does that make?”
 
“The difference is my willingness. No tetsudai has to do anything he doesn't wish to do, within reason of course.” Sango studied him further, wondering whether in that last sentence he indicated that he didn't know of Inuyasha's existence or just didn't bother to deign him with the dignity of being grouped with the rest of the tetsudai. Or was it just in reference that only those in undignified positions - like Inuyasha as a hanyou or himself as a criminal - had certain restrictions placed on them versus those that were there completely of their own free will? She shook her head; they certainly had a lot of talking to do.
 
Miroku sighed resignedly and turned her to face the old woman across the room who still watched them like a hawk. “Another difference is her. She is one of the nosier old biddies I have to deal with and she will follow us to make sure we go into my room and that I am most decidedly occupied for the evening. If not she will go and complain that I am avoiding her because of her age - which I most decidedly am.”
 
Stunned, Sango turned back to him, appalled comprehension showing across her face. “You can't be serious.”
 
“I most certainly am.” His grimace put all her doubts to rest.
 
“She's one of your customers?” Even to herself she sounded disgusted. “But that's…” She didn't want to say it aloud.
 
“Revolting?” he supplied for her.
 
She blushed. “I certainly didn't want to say so, but yes. She has to be eighty!”
 
“Seventy-one at last count.”
 
“I'd be doing you a rather large favor if I were to seclude myself with you in your room.”
 
“That you would.”
 
“I haven't agreed yet.” She considered that it could be a trick, something to make nervous new customers more comfortable with their tetsudai, but his relief was too palpable for her to believe that. “You'll owe me - you'd be in my debt.”
 
“Yes, yes,” he waved her concerns away. “But you'll come with me?”
 
She sighed heavily, knowing very well she might come to regret her decision. “Yes, I'll come.”
 
“Then,” he said, grabbing her elbow, “let me show you the way.”
 
~ ~ ~
 
Safely ensconced in his room, Miroku immediately spun to face Sango and she backed up against the door. He didn't stand close to her, only held onto her hand, but she felt crowded by his presence.
 
Miroku quirked his head in interest. Normally someone with their back to the wall demonstrated a certain…vulnerability, but that wasn't at all the case with this woman. Her chin was tilted up and the determination in her eyes made him wonder what she was so set against and whether he might be able to breach her mighty fortifications.
 
“Now, now,” he said, gently patting her hand, “you look like you're expecting me to attack you. Whatever would give you cause to fear me?”
 
The suggestion had the desired effect and now her eyes were blazing. “I do not fear you, I'm merely wary of what you might expect and do as a result. I simply want to talk but you might have, er, other ideas.”
 
His face was the epitome of innocence as he asked, “What would make you think I had `other' ideas?”
 
She hesitated a moment, wondering if she'd misjudged him, but then she caught the spark of amusement in his gaze. “Perhaps the fact that I came here with you instead of that old woman - and that you seem entirely too happy with the switch.”
 
“Who wouldn't be?” He shrugged nonchalantly. “Besides, for your saving me from such an unsavory situation wouldn't it do better to be thankful?”
 
“Unless your idea of thanking me would be in sexual favors-”
 
“I hadn't thought of that,” he mused, rubbing his chin. “What a good proposition though.”
 
“-Or,” she continued from where he cut her off, “you might want to take advantage of the situation since it was presented to you.”
 
“And what situation is that?”
 
She sighed, gesturing to herself sharply. “Having me here, someone your own age, as opposed to someone who could be your grandmother.”
 
He tsked. “My, my, what a high opinion you have of yourself,” he ribbed, gratified when she flushed. “To think, you see yourself as this ravishing beauty no man can resist.” He winked at her. “You wouldn't be far off the mark.”
 
Sango spluttered and he was glad to see the chink in her composure. “I never said any such thing and certainly never claimed to be a `ravishing beauty.'”
 
“Ah, but you are,” he said, turning her hand over in his and rubbing his thumb in circles on her palm. “Don't you know?”
 
She stuck her nose in the air and ignored him, moving on. “Why are you stuck with all the older women anyhow? That is part of your punishment, I presume?”
 
He regarded her once again, more curious than ever. She had neatly sidestepped his question, showing no compunction about her own beauty. She hadn't agreed with him, which showed she wasn't vain or flattered. Neither did she disagree with him though, which would have dragged out the topic and either marked her as someone who fished for compliments or someone who couldn't accept them. He wondered if it was that she had no regard for her own vanity at all or that she had no regard for him. The puzzle of the woman before him certainly made him wonder about what he'd find if he prodded just a bit deeper.
 
“The grandmothers?” she prompted, not entirely comfortable with how he'd been looking at her.
 
“Ah, yes, them. Well, that certainly is an interesting tidbit, wouldn't you agree?”
 
She nodded hesitantly. After all, that was what she'd come to the Shrine for.
 
“Then I suggest a trade - I'll give you something you want if you give me something I want.”
 
Immediately her interest damped and her eyes narrowed. “And I suppose there might just be a tacit physical nature in those things you desire?”
 
“Not necessarily,” he chided. If she got this backed up over the mere idea of it he didn't want to risk her running away if he decided to actually act on any perverted impulses. “What's to say I couldn't request information about yourself? I'm hardly likely to force you into anything you don't desire, you being the customer and all.” He threw the last statement to her like a lifeline, giving her some semblance of balance and control over the situation. She grasped onto it gratefully.
 
“If I'm the client then why do we need to do an exchange of any kind?” she asked, thinking about Kagome's experiences with Inuyasha. She knew Inuyasha wasn't under normal treatment but Kagome's stories were all she knew about the workings of the Bacana Shrine. As such she wasn't entirely sure what leverage she had to wield over the man in front of her. He certainly made it appear that he didn't have any over her though, which went a long way toward helping her relax. Besides, if she didn't have to keep her guard up she'd be able to focus more on the questions she had for him.
 
He smiled winningly and she felt herself softening just a shade more. “One, to make it more sporting and a bit more fun. Second, since you seem completely against treating me as a prostitute,” his mouth quirked and she wondered suddenly if he actually appreciated that fact, “then I suggest we might be able to act as friends, or at least as acquaintances getting to know each other.”
 
“I think that could work…,” she said hesitantly, then seeing his smirk she instantly straightened her spine. “Yes, that'll work just fine. I'd like that,” she added, offering her own smile. To her surprise he then proceeded to drop her hand and back away, throwing out his arm in a large sweeping gesture.
 
“Then welcome to my humble abode, dear Sango. Make yourself comfortable wherever you like.”
 
She looked dubiously around the room, taking in the crisp-looking bed, the old armchair in the corner, and a couple of stools and chairs around the room that didn't look all that comfortable. With a shrug she made her way to the armchair. It was honestly large enough to hold them both, which led her to cast a skeptical eye over it regarding its cleanliness, but there was nothing for it so she sat down. She knew at least the bed linens would be clean, but she still didn't completely trust this tetsudai.
 
“So you were saying, about the women?”
 
He pondered that a moment as he grabbed one of the stools and pulled it close to her, taking a seat and leaning an elbow on the arm of her chair. “You guessed it was a punishment. Is it safe to assume then that you know the circumstances that led to my current situation?”
 
Sango fumbled and looked down at her hands. “Well, I know you were convicted of a crime, though I have no idea what for or how long ago.”
 
“Fair enough. This tidbit will likely make this more interesting for you then - I was convicted for sexual harassment.”
 
She stared up at his non-plussed face and began to laugh. “That is just too ironic - that must have been one character of a judge you had to sentence you to something like this. I assume that's where the long talked about grandmothers come in then - it wouldn't be much of a punishment if you were sleeping with young, attractive women for…how long?”
 
He grimaced. “Almost two years.”
 
She was working to control her chuckling now, reigning herself in. “That really must be bad then. I'm sorry,” she choked out, though he was sure he was referring to her behavior and not his punishment, “but I must say that's the most creative, appropriate punishment I've ever heard of. Has it turned you off sex forever?”
 
“With old biddies? Most definitely. But sex itself? Never.”
 
Cocking her head, she asked, “What about when you're an old man yourself then?”
 
“That'll depend on if I have a wife and how attractive she is.” His smile was so unreadable she had trouble deciphering whether or not he was teasing. “Do you always make a point to discuss the sexual habits of your new acquaintances?”
 
Her eyes lit with horror when she realized what she'd been doing and her face turned a brilliant red. “Of course not! I'm sorry, I didn't realize. It's just we were talking about your sentencing and then the conversation just took its natural course-”
 
Miroku broke her train of thought with his own chuckle and she realized he'd been having fun at her expense. Her eyes narrowed and he held up his hands in supplication. “Peace!” he cried and she sat back in the chair, arms crossed, looking for all the world to Miroku like she was sulking.
 
Oh, but what an amusing turn of events.
 
“If you're so uncomfortable here why bother coming? What could you need to know that's so important to you?”
 
Sango shifted in the chair. “Like I said, I just have some questions to ask you - mostly about your treatment by the Shrine and such matters. We already have some idea but figured the more we know the better - and you were especially interesting since I knew your working here was an alternative to prison.”
 
“We?” he queried.
 
“Yes, Kagome and myself.”
 
“And just what might these matters be?”
 
Sango stiffened. “That's for Kagome to say. I'm merely helping her as a friend.”
 
“Ah, but didn't we agree to a method of give and take?”
 
Flustered she fell back on her normal defense and glared at him. “I think I've given you plenty of information already. Besides, it isn't my information to give, nor are they my secrets to share.”
 
Miroku sat back. “Fair enough.” He could feel she was still slightly tense so he stood and walked across to the corner opposite the bed. “Care for a drink?”
 
She craned her neck around, surprised to see he was standing in front of a mini refrigerator. “Uh, sure?”
 
“Water, tea, or something stronger?” He waggled his eyebrows at the last suggestion but Sango didn't notice, taking in the entirety of the room and its details now that she wasn't as worried about the intentions of its occupant.
 
Yes, there was the one bed, but the linens looked expensive. Then there was the multitude of chairs, the appliances - there were more than just the fridge but she wasn't sure she recognized the use of all of them - and a door in the corner opposite herself. “What's through there?” she asked, pointing at the doorway.
 
“That?” He looked at her like she was slightly slow. “That's the bathroom.”
 
She stood quickly and walked over to inspect the room and was amazed at its luxury. There was a massive shower with three shower heads and a tub that could easily fit four people. It was simple in elegance but showed real taste. Backing out of the room she felt her mind reeling.
 
Miroku picked up on the change in her mood, even if he couldn't account for it, and launched into explanation. “Of course this isn't the best room or best bathroom in the Shrine - I am a criminal after all - but it seems to serve quite well. I've gotten very few complaints - none of which were about my performance, I might add.” He waggled his eyebrows again, hoping she might notice this time, but she only gazed at him dumbly.
 
“This is normal?” she whispered, and his heart broke at her anxiety as much as he was confused by it.
 
“What is it?” he asked in complete seriousness, dropping the charm from his manner.
 
“Inuyasha doesn't even have a bathroom, let alone anything comparable to this.” She spread her arms wide to encompass the whole of the room.
 
Miroku took a step back from her. “Your friend, Kagome, she goes to see Inuyasha?”
 
Sango nodded, still staring around the room.
 
“I wouldn't have thought you to be friend with someone like that,” he nearly spit out, and the cold fury in his voice shocked her. “I don't know much about hanyou but I know that absolutely no one deserves to be treated that way.” To his utter amazement and further disgust Sango actually smiled at his statement.
 
Closing the distance between them she clasped her hands around his own where he'd clenched them together and shook them slightly. “You have no idea how happy that makes me to hear.”
 
He couldn't decide between shock or aversion at her words so he stayed silent. “You don't understand yet, but you will,” she reassured him. “Kagome is nothing like any of his other clients - otherwise why do you think I'd be so shocked, upset even, to see how you live - as a criminal no less - in comparison to him?!” She was deciding how much to tell him, figuring it was safer to leave out the little fact that Kagome was in love with the hanyou and working to achieve equality for his race. “She's trying to get him better treatment, or possibly even get him freed.”
 
“Free him? What would that do? Could that even benefit him? How else could a hanyou make his way in the world?”
 
Sango shrugged, unwilling as of yet to give any more information to someone she didn't know very well. “There are always possibilities. But that's why we're trying to find out so much information about the Shrine; we're both law students and we're hoping to find a loophole to help him out in some fashion. From what she says, he's treated absolutely abominably.”
 
Miroku agreed. “He is. I can tell you the few times I've seen him he's usually not in the best shape, and I take it you know what I mean by that. He tends to stay mostly to himself though - not surprising, all things considered - and I've never actually talked to the guy directly.”
 
“Me either. I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow though.”
 
His eyes lit with intelligence and Sango wondered if she'd said too much. “She wants you to meet him, eh? She must really like him then.”
 
She marveled at his ability to see things so clearly, worried that maybe she'd revealed too much, and realized it was too late for worries on that account. “As long as you don't tell Kazuma I see no problem with you knowing that.”
 
Miroku's face darkened. “I don't think there's a single person here who really likes Kazuma. Don't worry, I won't do anything to jeopardize your efforts to make his situation a little more humane.”
 
“'Humane',” she repeated softly. “That's just the problem though, isn't it?”
 
They were both quiet a moment and only when Sango looked down did she realize she still had his hands clasped in her own. “Oh!” she nearly shouted as she dropped his hands, face flaming. “I'm sorry, I didn't realize…”
 
Miroku grinned at her then, a completely predatory look. “You know what I think, Sango?” He took a step forward and she took one back.
 
“Wh-what's that?” she stuttered, suddenly nervous.
 
Another step forward, another back. “I think you should let me kiss you.”
 
“What? Why? Why should I do that?”
 
Forward-retreat, forward-retreat, until Sango was caught up against the bed. “Because I want to.” He applied gentle pressure to one shoulder and her knees gave way, sitting her on the bed. “And because I think you might want to as well.”
 
“Huh? What? No! No, of course I don't,” she protested. She fisted her hands against his chest, pushing at him, but with only part of her strength. “Wait, you can't do anything I don't want, right?”
 
“Oh, but you do,” he murmured, and she tried again.
 
“No, but, wait-” her words died when he placed one soft, gentle kiss on her cheek, trailing his lips across her nose to her other cheek, pushing firmly against the skin before letting her go and standing up straight.
 
“Now,” he smiled down at her, gratified to see he'd silenced her, “that wasn't so bad, was it?”
 
Her hand traced its way across the path he'd made on her face and he was happy to see her fingers were trembling just slightly, just as he made sure to hide his own shaking hands behind his back.
 
“No, I guess that wasn't so bad,” she whispered.
 
Immediately she knew it was the wrong answer to give as a wolfish grin spread across his face. “Then by all means, let's continue where we left off.” He leapt on her and she yelled at him as his arms were wrapped around her, hands planted firmly on her butt, his head lowering toward hers just when the phone rang.
 
Sango pushed him off her easily and reached for her bag, only to realize the ringtone wasn't right. She glanced around the room looking for the phone but was puzzled when the sound seemed to be coming from the wall.
 
“Just my luck,” she thought she heard him mutter as he went to open the panel, and she couldn't help but smile at his manoeuvres being spoiled so effortlessly. To her surprise though he motioned her over before placing the receiver in her hand.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Sango?” came the voice on the other end. “It's Kagome.”
 
~ ~ ~
 
A/N: Thanks to Akihana and PitaBread for the great help.
 
Thanks to all you lovelies as well for continuing to follow the story despite my horrid update schedule. Unfortunately I don't see myself being able to get my act together much better so I'm expecting I'll probably only be getting a chapter out once every other month. My apologies. On the bright side - hey, I'm not giving it up ^_-
 
Cheers and hope you enjoyed!
 
P.S. - I probably should've been saying this all along, but all of the definitions for my titles come from dictionary dot com.
 
Oh yes, and I almost forgot! Lady Shunran is based on one of the four youkai of the neko clan that were out for Sesshoumaru's blood. I never would've recognized their names so thought I'd throw in this little tidbit here for you guys who, like me, otherwise wouldn't have known.