InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Protector ❯ Close Call ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Close Call
A gunshot rang through the streets, startling him from his thoughts. Snapping his head around, his eyes widened in shock and fear. The girl was missing. Darting his eyes around, he quickly scanned the area for the one he was called to protect.
The smell of blood hit him hard, causing his gag reflex to act up, but the scent that clenched his heart painfully was the faint smell that came with it. Looking at the crowd ahead, he hoped it wasn't true… prayed he hadn't failed.
Slowly, for the first time, he left his comfort of darkness and walked towards the people. As he pushed his way through, ice crept into him and froze him to his very soul. There in front of him, bleeding and unconscious, was the girl he had sworn to protect.
Training allowed his mind to quickly analyze the situation and realize that the bullet had lodged itself into her shoulder and that she was okay… for the time being. Disregarding the people around him, he picked up the young female and ran out of the lights, only to reenter his world of darkness.

Cursing himself for the umpteenth time, he turned to look at the slumbering figure on the bed. He could still feel the rapid beating of his heart at the thought of losing her due to his carelessness. Taking deep breaths, he turned his head away to stare at the setting sun over the horizon her steady breathing the only thing keeping him sane at the moment. Looking down, he stared at his hand…more specifically, he stared at the blood staining them.
He had sprinted the few blocks to his apartment, an apartment owned by his family for those who had been called upon. Placing her prone body on the sofa, he had rampaged the entire living quarter in search for the medical supplies. With trembling hands, her shirt was slashed and ripped off in his haste to dress the wound. The bullet wound, luckily, hadn't been as bad as he had originally thought, making a clean cut from its entry to its exit hole. But the bleeding had caused him to worry, for it flowed out of her in a thick, steady stream.
Quick fingers stitched up the holes, all the while his eyes had darted back and forth to her eyes to watch for movements. Hearing her moan, he had paused in his work, breathing ceasing completely in his fear of her waking to feel the needle sinking into her soft skin over and over again. As she settled once more, he began his work once more.
And now, nearly an hour after the whole terrifying incident, she still slept undisturbed, and him… he stood guard, watching over her, holding onto her every breath. It was too close. Somebody wants her dead. But who?

A.N.: Well, here's the chapter. Sorry if it's not exactly up to your expectations. This chapter hadn't peaked my interest as much… I was working on the last three chapters to this story… even though I hadn't thought up the beginning or middle sections. Lol. Until next time!