InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stealing Shadows ❯ Midnight Visitor ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: Pay attention! I'm just doing this for fun not profit. I have no rights to Inuyasha.

Midnight Visitor

High above them the storm raged on. Pushed in from the sea, the ominous clouds had moved in just as they reached the top of the ridge. Inuyasha had gathered her in his arms and bounded off the beaten path to some caverns. Sheltered from the driving rain, they huddled together in a dry cave. The impression in the rock was barely large enough for the pair, not even large enough to accommodate a cooking fire. Not that it mattered as any firewood was well soaked through by now.

“Kami its nasty out there.” Kagome shivered as she watched lightening arc across the night sky.

“Damn ocean storms. This is why I prefer to live farther inland.” Inuyasha dug through Kagome's satchel for the one sleeping blanket she had packed. Finding it, he unraveled it and spread it over the both of them.

“This will likely stay put for awhile. Guess this is where we camp. No tea tonight. No rabbit either.” Kagome sighed. At least they were dry.

“I'll catch something big for breakfast. You might as well get some sleep Kagome. I'll keep watch.” Inuyasha squeezed her tight. How wonderful it felt to have her in his arms once more.

“Alright. Wake me if you hear anything.” Kagome was already being lulled to sleep by the radiating warmth of her hanyou.

Sleep came fast for her and in her slumber she found herself in a strange dream. Realization dawned on her that it was no regular dream. The presence she had felt before was contacting her in her sleep. She recognized the feeling of its aura. What creature was able to break into her mind so easily?

Swarming around her like a dark shadow it came to her. Shifting and rolling like the mist they had walked through. Kagome could see it before her yet it wasn't tangible. If she had reached out to touch it her hand would have past straight through. A shadow that took no recognizable form, it bubbled around her.

Despite being unable to hear a voice she understood its motive. An ability to sense its thoughts through feelings and intuition. To her it seemed lonely, wanting comfort and companionship. Her compassionate nature was stoked but Kagome had learned that not all that seemed lost were. Sadists and psychopaths often prayed on the caring nature of others. Twisted and cruel they lured in their prey with a sad story and a pretty face.

She had tried to save everyone before and it had been a hard lesson to learn that not everyone could be saved. During her schooling she had picked up psychology courses, the subject appealing to her medical self. Case studies had been a large part of the classes and though they were tailored to a precollege level, they had focused on some of societies' most crazed degenerates. All through history, evil had created the most shocking of headlines. The little she had learned had awakened some self preservation. From Jack the Ripper to Ted Bundy, she learned the dangers of the most sinister of human minds. Her very nature was to see the best in people but now she knew that she had to be careful. To spot the signs before she became another statistic.

To her, this shadow was radiating waves of distress and loneliness, seeking her to approach it. Standing firm she simply watched. The aura she had felt early had been tainted with malice and there was a good possibility that the shadow was cloaking its true nature. To test her theory she reached out her hand and waited for it to approach. When it began to draw near she used her reiki to projected a bright orb in her hand.

The misty black being recoiled, hissing as the orb grew brighter and brighter in her hand. It let out one more blood curdling scream before retreating. With that Kagome awoke. Groggily she rubbed her eyes. She could hear the soft pitter patter of rain outside. The wind had died down and the night was filled with the gentle sounds of a spring shower.

“Inuyasha?” She whispered not wanting to disturb him if he was resting.

“Mmhmm.”

“Do you sense anything close?” Kagome worried her lip.

“No...why?”

“I just had the strangest dream. I was in the dark. Something like... mist surrounded me. It felt so lonely. Almost destitute. Then it called to me without any words. Beckoning me if you will.”

Inuyasha listened, his arms tightening around the miko with every detail she revealed. This was the second attempt the shadow oni had made to get to Kagome. The second time Inuyasha had failed to detect it.

“I wouldn't go to it.”

“Good!” He cut in. The thought of losing Kagome terrified him. Thank Kami she had kept her wits about her.

“It's afraid of light. I projected a light orb in my palm and it was as if it pained the creature. The brighter the light became the louder it screamed at me.” Kagome wondered suddenly why she had not been terrified. A dream like that would have caused anyone to break out in a cold sweat. Likely she had been too focused on figuring out what exactly was trying to communicate with her. As she thought about what she had seen she began shaking. Trembling she tried to laugh it off.

“Kagome?” Inuyasha was concerned when his miko burst into hysterical laughter, trembling and shaking like she had seen a ghost. The shock of what she had just gone through was likely setting in. Leave it to Kagome to not realize just how close to danger she had come until it had already passed.

“It was terrifying. No face, no form! It just floated around me like a transparent curtain. How the hell do we combat something that can creep into my mind!” Kagome's anxiety grew with each passing moment. All the kendo training in the world couldn't help her with this. Her reiki had been the only thing that had saved her hiney. Inuyasha couldn't save her if she became lost to something in her mind.

“Dammit!” Inuyasha finally snapped, throwing a pebble across their rocky shelter. Kagome was right. How could he protect her if he could not see, smell or hear his enemy?

Silently they watched the rain falling outside. Both racking their brains for a solution to their predicament.

“Kami I'm a baka!” Kagome suddenly beamed, turning to face Inuyasha.

“What?” He shot her a confused look.

“Jii-chan and sensei taught me a blocking technique.” Kagome smiled, proud that she had thought her way out of the problem.

Inuyasha merely quirked an eyebrow, not following the direction she was going.

“It's like creating a barrier just like the one that protects the village. Now that I know what it's aura feels like I can set up a mental block.”

“Will it work?” Somewhat speculative he frowned at her.

“Well it's not like we have any other ideas!” Kagome grumbled back. Couldn't the man have a little confidence in her? Jeez, he hadn't even given the idea a chance.

“For your sake this had better work.” He didn't want to believe in miracles but at this point they could use one. If Kagome could manage to keep the fiend out of her head that was one more weapon in their corner.

“I just need to meditate for awhile. You make sure nothing gets in here and disturbs me!” Kagome winked as she scooted off his lap and prepared herself. “Nothing like a squirrel running across my lap while I'm deep in thought.”

“I don't think you have to worry about that.” Inuyasha tried to smile back but the gesture failed him. Nothing would be scurrying into this cave for the simple reason that there was nothing out in the darkness. The forest around them was still unnervingly void of any living creature.

He watched as Kagome fell into a trance like state, her mind and body focused on the task at hand. His keen eyesight picked up the tiniest specks of pink that floated around her. No doubt her reiki at work as the tiny orbs wove around her. His ears continued to scan the area for any sound; a cracking tree branch or the impact of a foot on the wet earth. Nothing.

Kagome was right. How did one fight something that could enter minds, unseen and unheard? Inuyasha was beginning to think that the creature in question was weak. Something unable to combat by normal means. Only weak creatures used sneak attacks. That made sense. Why else would it attack strong men in the middle of the night? Normal youkai didn't care whether they caught their prey during the day or night. If they wanted it, they took it. This creature seemed to plan things, deliberate until it was confident it could gain from the situation. Hence why it hadn't confronted them one on one. Instead it snuck around, poking at the minds of whom it perceived as weak.

Inuyasha grinned thinking that the oni had gotten a rude awakening delving into the depth of Kagome's mind. Kami be thanked that she hadn't tried to save it like so many others before. Quick thinking on her part had saved her. From what fate he was uncertain but he didn't imagine it would have been very nice.

He couldn't wait for dawn. The storm would likely have blown over by then and the sooner they got on their way the better. Darkness wasn't something he feared. From now on though he would be wary of things that went bump in the night. Something about Kiyoshi's story and this late night encounter had him praying for daylight.

The rain had stopped when Kagome finished her meditation. Exhausted she crawled back to Inuyasha, thankful when he opened his arms to her. The night was not yet over so she prepared herself for the first test of her mental barrier. If it worked, she would rest peacefully until morning. If she had failed, she suspected she would have another visitor in her dreams.

“How'd it go?” The rich baritone tickled her ear.

“Good I hope.” She yawned.

With the rain creating a symphonic lullaby, Kagome closed her eyes and willed herself to sleep.

X-X-X-X-X

“This is creepy!” Kagome whispered, huddling close to Inuyasha as they slowly made their way through the deserted village.

The rain had stopped in the early morning but as the sun rose, the clouds continued to bank along the mountains. Thus they had been experiencing the occasional odd shower as they made their way along the coastal path. Villages had come and gone, none baring any evidence of the mysterious shadow oni they searched for. Late afternoon had seen them investigating a narrow travel path that forked from the main road. Two hours later they found the isolated community for which they sought.

Not a living soul came to greet them as they entered. Fish still hung on smoking racks, rotting rather than being preserved. The huts were in great shape and in all the village looked as if everyone was simply gone for the day. The stench was what had first made Kagome uneasy. The scent of death and decay permeated the air.

Pressing herself against Inuyasha, she clung to his arm. One hand reached down to grasp his and she instantly felt better when his larger one held hers tightly. She couldn't understand why the smell was so bad, not a single body could be seen. The odd rotting fish shouldn't have contributed to such an awful odor.

Inuyasha had one hand locked on the hilt of Tetsusaiga, ready for an attack at any time. Badly he wanted the freedom of his other hand to cover his nose but Kagome had it in a death grip. He would put up with the stench if he could make Kagome feel more at ease. She was right. This place was creepy.

“Where the hell is everyone?” He thought out loud as the approached a hut. Using Tetsusaiga he lifted a door flap to take a look inside. Instantly he was hit with the pungent odor of death. Holding his breath he peered inside. No bodies and no blood. Death was everywhere in the village. Where were the bodies?

“Inuyasha, I don't like it here.” Kagome whimpered. Right now she didn't care if she was a miko warrior. She wanted to leave immediately. Only the memory of Kiyoshi kept her planted at Inuyasha's side and not running in the opposite direction.

“Yeah, I hear ya.” Inuyasha dropped the door flap but kept Tetsusaiga unsheathed. He felt better having the sword drawn and ready for an attack.

Kagome was busy looking behind them when she felt the first surge of aura. So powerful, it nearly knocked her to her knees. Had she not been hanging onto Inuyasha she was certain she would have fallen. Radiating from in front of them, the malicious aki was making her nauseas. Inuyasha squeezed her hand reassuringly, obviously sensing her distress.

“You all right Kagome?” Inuyasha focused on the final building at the edge of the village. Large and elegant it would have belonged to the most prosperous of families, likely the village head. The aura seemed to be coming from it. He knew that Kagome was sensitive to the strong aki as it was obviously playing havoc on her.

“Kami I fell sick.” Thankful for his support she leaned into him; breathing deeply to try and calm her body and mind. Regaining her composure somewhat she nodded, signaling for them to continue. Keeping her one hand entwined with Inuyasha's, her other reached out to rest on the hilt of her katana. With every step closer to the final home, the feeling of anxiety rose within her. She felt like the she was in a horror movie and she was the last heroine about to take on the monster. Every fiber inside was singing, telling her to leave at once. Self preservation set aside, she continued on.

“This is it. Stay behind me.” Inuyasha reluctantly dropped her hand and stepped in front. Using himself as a shield he blocked Kagome from the entrance as he pushed the door open.

Behind him he could hear Kagome suck in her breath. No wonder either. What he saw inside the hut was repulsive. Bodies stacked to the ceiling greeted them, their blank eyes staring at them in a silent warning. The stench of flesh rotting and feces was overpowering. A bloody and grotesque display of the creatures abilities. The wounds suggested that their deaths had not been swift. Likely they had been toyed with; tortured until they finally bled out. A few poor souls still hung from bindings secured on the walls and ceilings. Inuyasha wondered if they had been brought here, forced to stay with the dead, knowing what their fate would be.

Taking a cautious step forward, he looked closer at the monstrosity inside. Closer inspection confirmed that all the bodies where men. Not a single female or child was inside. More confusing was the oni was no where to be seen. The aura seemed to cling to the bodies, a remnant perhaps of the excitement the vile being had experienced in his death trap.

Disgusted he turned, sliding the door behind him. Kagome, not far away, had lost the battle with her body and was heaving just outside the door. Sheathing Tetsusaiga Inuyasha went to her side, holding her hair as she continued to empty her stomach.

Kagome was beside herself. She had seen the hardships of war, the death of battles and kami knew how much blood she had seen. Never though, had she seen such calculated torture. The suffering and pain those men had endured had been every bit intentional and premeditated. The building, grand as it appeared on the outside, was a grotesque torture chamber straight out of the most twisted of minds.

For as long as she lived, Kagome knew the sights she had just borne witness to would be engraved in her memory. The men, hung from the ceiling, gutted and speared like a hunter's woodland catch. The vivid contrast of their cold eyes against the light that shown through the door. Worse yet was the feeling of that malevolent aura, thick and heavy in the air long after its creator had left. What sadist did they seek?

Struggling to straighten herself on shaking limbs, she reached out for the comfort of Inuyasha. Instantly he had her in his arms, cradling her as she clung to him. Her eyes were still wide with shock as she stared in abhorrence at the door that led to her nightmares.

“Come on Kagome, I want to get you out of here before night falls.” Inuyasha urged, his eyes trailing to the distant horizon. They had missed their prey but he wasn't going to hang around and wait for it to return. Not with the Kiyoshi's warning ringing in his ears. The boy was adamant that they stay out of the shadows in the village. Night was full of shadows and he refused to let Kagome sleep anywhere close to this place of death.

Kagome nodded, trembling she tried to walk but her feet refused to move. Still in shock she was having a hard time leaving where her feet had become rooted.

“Here, get on.” Inuyasha turned and crouched in front of her. When Kagome still did not move he pushed back causing her to collapse on top of him. Her hands came to wrap around his neck, her face hid against his back. He grabbed the satchel, swinging it over his shoulder before securing Kagome by her thighs and taking off. With incredible speed he fled, his precious bundle safe on his back.

For what seemed like hours he raced and Kagome still shivered on his back, traumatized by the perversion she had seen. The rhythmic sounds of Inuyasha's footfalls and the rush of the wind against her were slowly helping to calm her. Darkness was beginning to settle in around them and the salty sea breeze tickled her nostrils. When Inuyasha slowed his pace, she finally peeked out from beneath his silvery mane.

“This looks good.” He spoke as he came to a stop. He had cleared the forest and headed straight for the open coast. Far from the threats of the ghost village, he had located a well sheltered lava tube. Perfect for spending the evening in. They were high and far enough from the water that he wouldn't have to worry about the rising tide or an ocean storm. What mattered most was that they where nowhere near that damn sadistic oni.

Letting Kagome down, he turned and inspected her. Her skin was still pale and her eyes looked sore and swollen. The good thing was that she had stopped trembling. He brought a hand up to feel her forehead, dropping it to gently caress her cheek.

“You alright?”

Kagome tried to smile at the concerned amber orbs that inspected her. It was too difficult, so she simply nodded her head. With a deep breath she settled herself on a big rock inside the large cavern. She watched as Inuyasha walked around the surrounding area, picking up pieces of dried driftwood and some broken branches from the odd tree on the shoreline. His eyes often darted to her and she knew that his ears and nose where trained on her as well. The knowledge that he was keeping close tabs on her was reassuring.

He returned to her and quickly had a fire flickering in the cavern. The walls became light and the shadows receded. Again he left her, wadding into the calm shallows of a seaside pool to catch a few fish. Kagome left her rocky perch to dig into her leather satchel. Withdrawing the blanket, she wrapped herself snuggly in it and sat close to the fire.

“Do you think you can eat?” Inuyasha had asked. He had been thinking of her mind frame as he fished; cleaning his catch outside. The sight of the entrails and blood could have triggered a relapse. He even removed the heads, thinking the dead eyes looked too much like those of the men. With the fish fillets skewered and cooking he turned his focus back on his distressed miko.

Kagome stared into the flames, wondering what she had gotten herself into. The sinister oni of shadows had thrown a punch she hadn't expected. It had come to her, feigning hurt and pain when in reality it had tortured and gained some sick form of gratification from its victims. What would have happened if she had been tricked by it pleas for salvation?

“Kagome?” Inuyasha asked again after he had received no response from Kagome.

“Sorry, what did you ask?” Kagome snapped out of her trance. The aromatic scent of roast fish floated in the air. Her stomach felt empty and she eyed the meat speculatively.

“Can you handle some food?” He asked again, poking the cooking fish with a sharp stick.

“I'll try too. I still feel a little queasy.” Graciously she accepted the roasted fish when he offered it to her. Easily enough she stomached it and it seemed to take some of the ache away from her raw insides.

“Has it tried contacting you again?” Inuyasha worried that the beast would scent their presence at the village. The bigger question was would it follow them?

“No. The mental block is working great.” Kagome praised her mentor for teaching her such a useful weapon against evil.

“Good. I'm going to get some more wood. I want it nice and bright in here tonight.” Inuyasha reached over and squeezed Kagome's shoulder. When she looked up and smiled he felt a huge burden removed from his shoulders. Thank Kami that smile was genuine and back on her face. He had worried that it would take days for it to return and that when it did it would be tainted with the darkness she had seen.

Kagome remained exactly where she was until Inuyasha returned with another huge bundle of wood in his arms. When he settled in, she crawled to him like a timid child. When he shifted and opened his arms, she clambered into his lap. She didn't care if the whole world was watching her anymore. This was where she felt the safest and be damned if she was going to spend another night anywhere else. From this point on she knew the only person who could chase away her nightmares would be her hanyou.

Unabashedly she wrapped her arms around his neck, burrowing her face into his neck. His arms wrapped tightly around her, nose nestled into her hair. She needed to be held, to be assured that the world was still good and that that good would prevail. So shook by today, she wanted him to know everything. One tiny misstep in this world and she could be gone forever. He needed to know her true feelings.

“Inuyasha?” Her voice was muffled in his throat.

"Hmmm?”
Pushing away from his neck she stared up at his face. Lips trembling and misty eyed she bared her soul to him.

“I love you.”

Inuyasha watched in awe as those rose colored lips spoke her words of endearment. Bittersweet tears rolled down her cheeks. Crystal tokens of her undying affection. No doubt the brush with death had spurred her but he was ecstatic to have heard them.

“Kobito,” the word was whispered as a padded thumb brushed the salty trail from her face, “my heart belongs to you.”

“And I belong to you.” Her hushed tone was barely audible as she leaned forward and placed a tender kiss on his lips.

The favor was returned as she broke; Inuyasha pulled her back in and urged her to repeat her actions. Tenderly he stroked her hair, clawed fingers gently combing through the silken black mass. This wasn't a heated exchange, far from it. Together they healed, learned and reassured. Slowly acquainting themselves with their kisses and caresses. A gentle swell of emotions mixing to form an even stronger bond than before.

“I don't want to lose you.” Inuyasha confessed as he peppered her face with the sweetest of kisses. That fear had been gnawing away at his insides from the moment the shadow oni had first broke into Kagome's mind.

“I don't want to be lost.” She admitted. It was terrifying to think one slip on her part could have put her in that sadist's hands.

“I swear Kagome, I will keep you safe it means sacrificing my life. You mean more to me than life itself.” Worry sick amber eyes sought out pools of liquid blue. Desperately he held her, crushing her to his hard frame.

Unable to take it any longer Kagome broke. Her heart wrenching sobs echoing in the impending night around them. She had finally found him after three years. How could she cope with losing him? What if he fell into the sinister plot of the mysterious shadow oni? She was finally here in his arms and she wanted to spend the rest of her life this way. The future was too uncertain and she could only hope that they would weather the storm.

“Promise me you'll be with me every morning that I wake.” She cried, worried that she would open her eyes to an empty room.

“I will. Always.” Dipping his head he caught her lips in another demonstration of his devotion to her. Come hell or high water he would stand his ground. “I love you.”

Kagome beamed, laughing through the tears. Her finger trailed down his face, resting in the softness of his silvery mane. What a pair they made. How many years had they dodged the inevitable, finally coming to terms with their love huddled together in a damp cavern, terrified of the trial to come. Nothing was ever simple in her life.

“When we get home I'm going to make you the biggest meal you've ever had. Miroku and Sango will be there with their children. I'll even track down Shippo.” Kagome mussed, trying to think of something other than the beast they had to defeat.

“Sounds nice.” Inuyasha smiled back before tucking the blanket tightly around them and holding her head to his chest.

Darkness found the couple, wrapped together in their solitary blanket, simply enjoying the comfort of one another. The soft and sensual kisses had relaxed to cuddling and intertwining fingers. The fire was stoked high when Kagome finally closed her eyes, the lingering feeling of Inuyasha's lips against hers as she succumbed to sleep.

Dawn came far to soon for the miko, her limbs stiff from the awkward way she had slept. Stretching she sat up only to be pulled back into the chest of her loved one.

“Morning Kobito.” The husky baritone rumbled right through her body. Turning she smiled at the sleepy eyes of her hanyou.

“Good morning.” Blushing she leaned forward and brushed a chaste kiss on his cheek.

“The fire's still burning, do you want some fish for breakfast?” Inuyasha asked as he reluctantly released Kagome. Standing he stretched his own lethargic limbs and then threw another piece of wood on the fire.

“Sounds good.”

“Be right back.” He grinned as he bounded out of their shelter.

X-X-X-X-X

Thinking it was high time they developed a strategy, the pair remained at their coastal hideaway. Throughout the morning they gathered wood, ensuring that their nights would be free from lurking shadows. All the while they tossed around ideas, trying to find a way to lure out their prey without putting either of them in harm's way. The problem was they knew little of what they were up against.

The other daunting question was what had happened to the women? Where they still alive; possibly being held for some unknown reason. Or where their bodies simply dumped at some other location. More importantly was trying to figure out how it lured in its prey. The more they knew about it the better chance they had at succeeding.

Intuition was telling both of them that the oni they sought was going to be difficult to best. A straight forward attack would likely be of little effect. Their opponent seemed to be elusive, hiding both its physical appearance and aura when it felt on the verge of discovery. The ability to mask its aura was unnerving.

Kagome was beginning to think the only way they would be able to lure it out of its territory was for her to lower her mental barrier and let it contact her. The suggestion had been abruptly shot down by her overly possessive companion. What were their options though? How long could they hide out until their opponent moved? They couldn't allow more innocents to be victimized like the others.

The afternoon had crawled by and after eating their evening meal Kagome retreated to the shoreline. Meditating on the smooth rock, she felt the first brush of an aura. Again loneliness radiated from somewhere nearby. Looking across the rocky shoreline she spotted a figure. The tide crashed against the rocks, spraying foam behind the silhouette. Squinting she tried to focus on it. One minute it was there the next the wave sprayed again and the outline was gone.

Checking her surroundings she couldn't find Inuyasha anywhere close. The odd thing was that she was certain he had been right there. Confused at the aura that had filled the space around her she again looked around. Her heart began to race as she noticed that the sun was almost below the horizon. Night was practically upon her and her love was nowhere to be found. Standing she picked up her swords that she had placed beside her. Tucking them in her obi she picked her way to the safety of her cavern. The temperature was beginning to drop and combined with the moisture rich air, a thick fog was beginning to roll in.

Where the hell was Inuyasha?

Unknown to Kagome, her hanyou raced away from the cavern. He had sensed the being when it first arrived. Kagome was safe, meditating on the shore. Now was his chance to dispose of the oni. He scented Kagome as he headed in the direction of the creature. He hoped she made her way to the cavern soon to stoke the fire to keep the shadows at bay. Picking his way silently up the coast his keen eyes scanned the area. He had spotted the silhouette on the rock only seconds before the wave had sent a wall of ocean foam around it. When everything had settled the creature was gone.

Inuyasha cursed upon reaching the location the oni had formerly appeared. No marks, no footprints; no clear evidence that anything had been there. Breathing deep he grinned. The sinister shadow oni could mask its appearance and hid its trail well but it had left something for Inuyasha. The foul scent that could only belong to it lingered in the air. Now Inuyasha had something to track it with.

Standing quietly he closed his eyes letting his senses guide him. Blocking out the sounds of the sea and birds he focused on locating the shadow. Ears twitched and rotated, filtering through the distance around him as he investigated. He caught it off to his left. Snapping his head around he stared into the tree line. Time was working against him. Already the sun had dipped below the horizon, the fading glows of red and orange muted by the fog bank that rolled in. The breeze made the trees sway, casting shadows and movement where normally there would be nothing.

It was out there somewhere, taunting him and watching. His heart began to race when he realized that the fog had obscured his vision of Kagome. No longer could he spot her on the shoreline. Darkness engulfed him and he feared the space that separated them. His ears fixed the location where he thought the oni was. Leaping from rock to rock he circled around, trying to put himself between his precious miko and the malicious shadow that lurked so close to their shelter.

His worst nightmare had come true. From the time he had fled the massacred village he had feared being followed. It had likely waited until dark before beginning its pursuit, the night not allowing it quite enough time to reach them. Kagome had said it feared light. Unfortunately for them the remnants of the sea storm had seen a great deal of cloud cover develop once again late in the afternoon. The thick foliage of the forest combined with the lack of sunlight would have made the forest floors bearable for a dark loving creature.

Tetsusaiga drawn he pressed forward. The fog was heavier now and like a heavy blanket it hung in the air. His clothes felt damp as he slowed his pace; the excessive moisture making the rocks slick. It was disorientating to be in the swirling mist. He wondered if this had been similar to Kagome's dream. Trapped in a world of darkness; a sheer curtain whirling and tumbling around her. Had her dream really been the oni contacting her or was it premonition? The similarities were disturbing.

Again he paused, waiting and searching. The shadow oni made a sudden move, Inuyasha brought his sword up but he was too slow. He felt momentary fear as blood red eyes broke through the foggy veil. A snarling face of grotesque proportions snapped at him as the shadow blew past. Having little time to react, Inuyasha was knocked to the ground as it rushed past.

“Dammit it!” He cursed before struggling to his feet. Then it hit him. The shadow was heading straight for Kagome. It's blinding speed making it impossible for Inuyasha to intercept. Eyesight useless in the soupy fog he breathed deep, searching for Kagome's scent. Frantically he sought her out. Heartsick that he would fail her, he followed the beast.

Reaching the cavern's entrance he was greeted with silence. The fire burned low, most of the wood dampened by the moist air. Kagome was nowhere to be seen. “Kagome!” He called out into the darkness. In a frenzy he looked for her, searching every inch of the cave before heading back into the black haze. It was too much to handle. Kagome was missing and now he couldn't get a single hint as to where the shadow was. Rage boiled inside as he considered the possibility that Kagome had been taken.

The air around him crackled as he howled out a blood thirsty war cry. Youki surging, it pulsed violently within. He could feel the burning on his face as his youkai blood began imprinting its marks. Claws extended and eyes clouded as he released the inner beast that sought destruction to the one who had taken his miko. Every fiber of his being demanded vengeance on the shadow oni. It would suffer the same fate as the sacrificed villagers. A slow and painful demise for touching what was his.

The countless hours of training with Sesshoumaru had given him great control of his other half. Bound together as one now he could rely on the aggressive nature of his inner youkai. Releasing it had increased his senses tenfold. With a maniac smile twitching on his lips, he let out a menacing laugh.

“Ready or not asshole, here I come.”


A/N: Another round of applause for my wonderful beta Kokoronagomu. I'd be lost without you!

Lunabell: You get your first glance at the 'thing'!
Catlover260: Their confession didn't take too long. Enjoy!
Kdec: Thank you sweetie!
Vampirelover2009: Glad you enjoyed.
LadyCash: You were not the only person to think so. I agree. Her speech likely wouldn't be influenced by the past so soon after returning from a 3yr stint in Tokyo. A few quick revisions were made. Enjoy this chapter.
Litte25victory: *Laughs* - Holy villain bat man! To the bat mobile! You're too funny. I'm thrilled you like the story.
Wakikaki: * blushes* Thank you! Hope this installment is enjoyable as the last.
Mayu28: Thank you.
InuHanyouNikkie: As you requested... the next chapter! :p Youkai Inuyasha has made his appearance. Will he have complete control when he confronts the shadow? Stay tuned...
akdreamer: Hope you didn't fall off your seat while you waited. * giggles* More twists to come...