InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen Soul ❯ Belonging ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Hmm. I'm not too sure about this chapter, because not a lot happens. But it's sort of necessary for what comes later. I guess I just tend to focus a lot on the characters and what they're thinking and feeling. Ah well. Onward! There really is a plot happening here, even if it isn't obvious yet.

And, just to set your mind at rest since at least one reviewer seemed concerned, my stories pretty much always contain some angst ... but they pretty much always end happily, too. I mention this because I, personally, prefer not to read stories with tragic endings, and I figure there are other people out there like me. So fear not, fair reader. Things may look pretty dark for Kagome before the tale is done ... but just trust me. :)

Japanese Terms:
ofuda -- folded paper with Shinto (or sometimes Buddhist) prayers written on it, used to ward off evil spirits/demons

Disclaimer: These characters don't belong to me, and I certainly don't own the Beatles song "Here Comes the Sun." This fic, however, is mine. Please don't take it without my permission.


_________________________________________

* * *
Chapter 4
Belonging

* * *




Kagome walked through the forest for two days. It was strange, not needing to eat or sleep, just walking and walking as if she would never stop. Kikyo's body did feel weak, but resting didn't seem to help much. It's probably the souls, Kagome thought to herself. Kikyo's body needs the souls to keep it strong. But Kagome grew only more determined at that thought, because there was no way she was going to trap innocent souls. So I'll just have to tough it out.

During the night, the forest was so dark that Kagome could barely see to walk, but she kept going, because stopping was even worse. I always knew that Inu-Yasha made me feel safe, but I had no idea how much. I've been in the forest with him hundreds of times, and it never really scared me, because I trusted him to protect me. But now ... now I'm so scared! Being all alone in the dark was very different from sitting around a fire with her friends, Shippo curled up in her lap, Inu-Yasha complaining about something or other, Miroku getting slapped for groping Sango, and everyone talking and laughing.

She'd never realized how precious that was until now.

Gods, I miss them so much!

How had Kikyo been able to do it for so long? Kagome had never thought about it before, but she now realized how lonely the other woman's existence must have been. She wondered what Kikyo had been like before she died. Did she have friends? Did she laugh? Did she hug people? Or was she as solitary then as she had been since the witch had revived her into this fake body?

Such thoughts occupied Kagome's mind as she walked, for she could not bear to let her mind rest. When she did not distract herself, she became far more aware of the silence of the forest around her, the sensation of invisible eyes watching her from the darkness, the horrifyingly loud sound of twigs and leaves snapping under her feet, and her own still-disturbing lack of heartbeat.

She even found herself occasionally nervously humming or singing quietly to keep herself company, trying to cheer herself up.

"Here comes the sun
Doo doo doo doo
Here comes the sun
And I say ... it's all right"

Kagome sighed. Who am I kidding? It's not all right. I'm all alone in the dark in a forest in feudal Japan, and I'm dead. Yeah. Right. Everything's just peachy.

At least she had Kikyo's bow and quiver full of arrows. That made her feel a tiny bit better, because she had a way to defend herself if some crazed animal or demon attacked her in the darkness. But the forest was really spooky, and it just seemed to go on forever.

Why the heck is there so much forest? It's not like Japan is all forest in my time, so what's the deal with all the trees? Kagome thought to herself, sullenly kicking a small rock out of her path. Well, I guess maybe they chopped down a lot of the forests when they built all the big cities. I guess that makes sense. What I wouldn't give for some streetlights and sidewalks right now! And maybe a cell phone! Of course, who would I call? My friends here don't want me around anymore, and I doubt I can go through the well in this body. And, anyway, what would I do? Go home and try to explain to Mom that I'm Kagome even though I don't look like it ... oh and, by the way, I'm dead now? Grandpa would probably smack an ofuda on my forehead and shout, "Demon begone!" And, anyway, I don't think they let dead people graduate high school, no matter how hard they study.

It was near noon on the second day of her lonely trek that Kagome heard the noises of a village in the distance: oxen lowing, children playing, carts creaking. She burst into a run and moments later found herself on the edges of a small village. She stood paralyzed at the edge of the forest, her hand pressed to her heart, her long black hair stirring slightly with the suddenness of her stop.

People! I'm not alone! Not wanting to just barge in, afraid that she might be turned away, Kagome hesitated a long moment, but her white blouse and bright red miko trousers were highly visible against the green of the trees, and a small child caught sight of her.

"Look!" he cried, pointing at Kagome, causing several nearby adults to turn in her direction and stare.

It was then that Kagome noticed several men lying wounded and bleeding on straw mats in the open area between the forest and the cluster of huts. There must have been a battle nearby recently, and these men were suffering.

Remembering Kaede's months of patient teachings, Kagome stepped forward out of the trees and said quietly, "I can help."

* * *

Meanwhile, many miles away, Kikyo's addition to Inu-Yasha's traveling group was proving even more awkward than he had expected. Everyone was disconcerted by the fact that she looked like Kagome, but her personality couldn't have been more different.

"I will not wear these obscene clothes," she had insisted on the first day, gesturing to Kagome's school uniform. "Even common prostitutes do not display their wares so brazenly."

"What?" Shippo had screeched. "Kagome's not a prostitute, you big dead jerk!" And he had then transformed into a pink bubble and proceeded to chomp angrily on Kikyo's head, prompting her to raise her hand and casually strike him with a bolt of blue light that sent him crashing to the ground, stunned and smoking.

Miroku and Sango ran to the limp fox-demon to check him for injuries, and Miroku looked up at Kikyo to chide her quietly, "Shippo is only a child, Lady Kikyo. Though he may sometimes speak rashly, he does not deserve such harsh treatment."

"The life of a demon means nothing to me," Kikyo responded coldly, her contemptuous expression distressingly foreign on Kagome's usually gentle face. Miroku and Sango turned immediately to look at Inu-Yasha, who only looked away, his eyes wounded but unsurprised. I'm half-demon, too, Kikyo. Or do you forget?

"Leave the brat alone, Kikyo. He isn't doing any harm." Not wanting anyone to see that he cared, Inu-Yasha snuck a glance at Shippo with guilty concern. Miroku had fetched some bandages from Kagome's backpack and was dressing a burn on the kit's arm. Inu-Yasha sighed and looked away again. This whole situation sucked. He couldn't abandon Kikyo, because he had sworn to protect her. But he couldn't just stand by and watch her abuse his friends, either.

In the interest of keeping the peace, Sango volunteered to loan Kikyo the maroon and white kimono she usually wore over her black armor, as well as her long green apron. Kikyo graciously thanked the other girl and went to change her clothes in privacy. While Kikyo was gone, Sango lifted the bandaged fox demon into her arms and said gently, "I'll carry you, Shippo."

In response, Shippo whimpered, "Why is she so mean? She's not like Kagome at all!"

"We will find Lady Kagome soon, Shippo. Do not worry," replied Miroku, but the monk's face was troubled.

"She must be so scared out there all by herself, without us to protect her!" At the kit's tearful words, Inu-Yasha flinched. The brat's right, for once. Kagome shouldn't be out there alone without me to keep her safe. Fuck! Why didn't the damned bitch stay in her own time? I tried to tell her to stay there, but she just keeps fucking coming back! She would have been safe there! I don't know what I'd do ... I couldn't bear it if ... if something bad ... if she got ... oh FUCK that! She WON'T get hurt. We'll find her and everything will be FINE and then I'll shove her down the fucking well and destroy the damned thing once and for all. I just wish we had some fucking idea of where the hell she is!

"I want to try to cover a lot of ground before tonight," Inu-Yasha said distractedly, and his three companions nodded worriedly.

"Yes, I won't feel comfortable until we have her with us again," Sango admitted. "It just doesn't feel right without her here."

"And having her body here without her is just creepy!" added Shippo, voicing the thought they all were having but were not willing to speak aloud.

At that moment, Kikyo emerged again from behind the trees she had used to cloak her modesty, now dressed in Sango's clothing. "Now she looks like Kagome and Sango!" wailed Shippo before Sango could cover his mouth with her hand. The fox demon rolled his eyes to look at his friend with an expression of hurt betrayal, but Sango whispered urgently into his ear, "Do you want her to burn you again?" Rolling his eyes back to look at Kikyo again, Shippo shuddered and shook his head, huddling closer against Sango's body, able to think little besides I want Kagome!

Miroku cleared his throat in the tense silence. "Ahem. Shall we eat lunch before we move on?"

* * *

After changing into the more suitable clothing, Kikyo found that she felt somewhat more comfortable. The body, however, was as unfamiliar as the clothing had been. This hair is of a thicker texture, and these legs are longer, which makes walking awkward. This body's scent is different, which is unpleasant to me. And this heartbeat! It is so loud in my ears. The feel of blood rushing through this body is strange. Is this what it is to be alive? Perhaps I have forgotten.

It was not only the body which was different, however. Kikyo found herself also noting a strange difference in her soul. It is not only that I now possess the larger portion of the soul. This soul ... it is not only mine. It is ... more. It is ... else. It differs somehow. My power surges through this body, stronger than ever before. With this soul and my training, I shall need little help in defeating Naraku. And paltry Inu-Yasha ... I could crush him in an instant if I so chose.

The others around her spoke amongst themselves, but Kikyo felt no interest in their discussions. She lived for two things only: to retain her grip on the heart of Inu-Yasha, and to wreak her vengeance upon Naraku. She could see the guilt and remorse on Inu-Yasha's face when he looked at her, and the sight sent a thrill of pleasure through her. Yes. Inu-Yasha should regret my untimely death and the role he played in my demise. He should suffer. He deserves nothing but pain, pain such as I have felt.

I had thought that my hatred would be lessened when I left that body of earth and bone, when I discarded that useless sliver of soul that only fueled my pain. But when I died fifty years ago, my heart was frozen in rage, and my heart shall not rest until Inu-Yasha is dead. If he keeps his promises to me and provides me with the human life he once offered, it shall make his eventual death at my hands only that much sweeter.

But now ... now is for Naraku. Inu-Yasha shall stand by my side as we take our vengeance for the wrongs done in the past, and only then my own vengeance upon Inu-Yasha's future shall begin.

For now ... all is Naraku. There is no other goal. There is no other name. All is Naraku.

* * *

"... Kagome."

Kikyo's head lifted, turning toward Inu-Yasha, for she had caught only the unpleasant final word in what he had just said. The other humans and the small demon child were nodding eagerly, and seemed to be preparing to depart.

"What did you say, Inu-Yasha?" Kikyo asked stiffly, not liking the presence of these other travelers listening upon their conversation.

Inu-Yasha turned impatiently and repeated, "I said that's enough time wasted ... it's time we get off our butts and go look for Kagome!"

Smiling slightly, Kikyo insisted, "To do so would be pointless. The girl is lost, her heart by now entirely absorbed by malice and pain. I know well the agony of that lifeless body ... one weak as she will not survive it."

Shippo opened his mouth to speak, as did Inu-Yasha, but Miroku calmly spoke before either of the demons could do more than take an angry breath. "I believe you underestimate the strength of Lady Kagome. Her will is formidable."

Kikyo replied condescendingly, "That may be so, monk, but it does not change our quest, which is to gather the shards of the Shikon jewel and take revenge upon the demon Naraku."

"Hey!" shouted Inu-Yasha. " I'm the one holding the sword, and I say we're finding Kagome first. So let's get going! Kikyo, get on my back so we can travel quickly before nightfall."

"Climb upon your back, Inu-Yasha? I shall do no such thing."

Inu-Yasha's hands raised upward toward his face, his claws bending in frustration as he closed his eyes and roared, " Fuck! Why does this have to be so difficult ?"

Kikyo's voice was iced with a prideful outrage when she replied, "Inu-Yasha, why do you speak so coarsely? You have not treated me so disrespectfully since the days when you first came to attempt to steal the jewel." He seems less human, somehow, and more of a demon, Kikyo thought to herself in distaste.

"Yeah, well, I don't have time to pussyfoot around right now. Kagome's alone out there, and we have to find her. So let's get the fuck out there and do it!"

Seeing an opportunity to rid herself of the unpleasant presence of the others, Kikyo suggested, "Then allow your companions to seek the girl separately. It would be most efficient, permitting you and I to instead direct our attention to the shards and Naraku."

"Fuck the shards! And fuck Naraku! Kagome's in trouble, and that comes first!" Inu-Yasha could feel himself losing control of his anger, and that wasn't going to help Kagome at all. Gritting his teeth, he took several calming breaths while fisting his hands until his claws drew blood from his palms. Okay, he thought as he began to calm down, Kikyo does sort of have a point. It would be good to get her away from the others so that she isn't blasting the brat every time he opens his big mouth, and so that pervert monk doesn't end up groping her butt and getting himself killed. Of course, if anyone had pointed out to Inu-Yasha that he was considering the welfare of his companions, that he was in fact caring for those who he in unguarded moments thought of as "friends," he would have denied it. That didn't change the fact that he was doing it, though.

"Okay. We'll split up into two groups," Inu-Yasha began, quickly adding, " BOTH looking for Kagome. I'll take Kikyo. The rest of you travel on Kirara. We'll meet back here at nightfall to camp and make a plan for tomorrow."

As Kirara transformed into her larger shape, Miroku, Sango, and Shippo all released sighs of relief as they climbed upon the firecat's back. With such a heavy burden, Kirara would not be able to fly at her top speed, but no one wanted to stay behind with Inu-Yasha and Kikyo, and so they bid them good-bye, promised to meet at nightfall, and flew away from the clearing in search of Kagome.


_________________________________________

To Be Continued

Be Kind ... Review :)