InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Potato Pie ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A friend of mine thought it'd be wise to do a disclaimer every few chapters, and I said, `What's the point it's not like anyone reads them anyway.' Whatever, I guess I'll do one just in case.
Player Hatin' Lawyer: Knock-knock.
Me: Oh, great you're a comedian now.
Lawyer: Yup. Knock- knock.
Me: Go away.
Lawyer: No. Knock-knock.
Me: You aren't gonna leave me alone until I answer are you?
Lawyer: Nope. Knock-knock.
Me: Fine! Who's there?
Lawyer: Orange.
Me: Orange who? *insert eye-roll*
Lawyer: Orange you gonna say you don't own Inuyasha, or Kirk Franklin?
Me: Has anyone ever told you you're really cheesy?
Lawyer: My mom says that once a day, and? So, don't you have a disclaimer to make?
Me: Oh, sure, mock my misery.
Lawyer: Wallow in your self-pity some other time, I'm on the clock here.
Me: Fine! I don't own Inuyasha, or Kirk Franklin! Happy?
Lawyer: Very.
Me: Good, now leave so I can wallow in self-pity.
Lawyer: You still have to write the next chapter.
Me: *Chucks frying pan at Lawyer* OUT!
Lawyer: Running I don't get paid enough for this.
Chapter 9
Inuyasha pulled up to Kagome's church a little before 11. His father was sitting next to him, and his mother was in the back seat.
“Oh, I'm so excited! I get to meet my future daughter-in-law!” Sakura gushed.
“Mom! You haven't even met her yet!”
“Sakura, don't embarrass the boy,” Inuyasha's father said. “So, do we need to have a talk son?”
At this time, Inuyasha was banging his head against the steering wheel and wishing he were somewhere else. Then his life got even worse. Sesshomaru pulled up behind him and started honking at him.
“You're blocking traffic Grandpa!” he shouted jokingly.
“Shut up, Fluffy!”
“Just for that I'm telling your girlfriend about Mr.Biggles. He was a pink bunny rabbit, wasn't he?”
“I-I don't remember, he might've been a tiger or a lion!”
“Nope, he was a pink bunny rabbit, and Biggles was his name-o!” (I made Sesshomaru waaay OOC ).
“Inuyasha over here!” Kagome called. She stepped out of her car while Souta helped their grandfather out of the car. “Are Sango and Miroku here yet?”
“I don't know we just got here,” Inuyasha replied.
“We?” Kagome asked.
“You must excuse Inuyasha here, he isn't the most polite Takahasi in the family. I'm his brother Sesshomaru. This is my wife, Kagura, and our daughter, Rin.”
“She's pretty Uncle Inu,” Rin said.
“I'm Sakura, Inuyasha's mother, and this is my husband Tomaru.”
“It's nice to meet you all,” Kagome said. “This is my Grandfather, and my brother, Souta. Why doesn't everybody find a seat, and after service we can get to know each other better.”
“Oh where will you be sitting, dear?” Sakura asked.
“On the choir stand.”
“My granddaughter is quite an accomplished singer,” Granpa said. “Been singing since she heard this lady sing on Sesame Street.”
“Granpa!”
“What I can't be proud of my granddaughter?”
“Kagome! There you are. Come on, we still have to put on our tee-shirts,” Sango said as she ran up to Kagome. “Hi Inuyasha. Mr. Higurashi, it's nice to see you again! Miroku is already inside, so you guys can sit with him.” Sango dragged Kagome around the corner and started giggling. “So you got to meet the parents. How did that go?”
“Not bad actually. I'm worried about what Granpa's going to say to them.”
“Yeah, remember the time he told Hojo about your bed wetting problem?”
“I was four! I didn't know any better!”
“I know, I know. Now come on, you have that big solo today.”
“I forgot all about that! I'm so nervous!”
“Why? Kagome, you know that song by heart.”
“That's not what I'm worried about. Remember my soccer games.”
“When your grandpa would yell `That's my granddaughter!' and hit people with his foam finger when they laughed at you for missing a goal?”
“What if he tries that now?”
“Miroku will distract him if he tries, besides he doesn't have a big foam finger now. Come on the music is starting, we have to go.”
Kagome and Sango ran to get to the rest of the choir and took their places in the front of the choir stand. The director motioned them to stand up, and told Kagome to step to the mike.
Kagome:
“You have the power to make the seasons change,
The river flows for You, the wind whispers your name,
For me You left Your throne and traded crown for thorns instead,
I'm saved within not by your skin, but because Your blood was red.
Some say You're black, You're white, they question if your real.
We treat You like we treat ourselves, I wonder how You feel, to see Your
Children fight in spite the tears for us You shed.
Doesn't matter what color you are, as long as your blood was red.”
Choir:
For it's strong enough, to wash away my sins,
And it's pure enough to cleanse me deep within,
And it's real enough to find me when I'm lost,
And it's great enough to die upon the cross.
It doesn't matter what color You are, as long as Your blood was red.”
Kagome:
“We may be different, but, the God we serve's the same
Yet every Sunday we separate and bring the Father pain
Your name is (Choir: higher than any other)
Yet You took my place instead,
Now all my sins are washed away, because your blood was red.
Choir:
“For it's strong enough to wash away my sins
And it's pure enough to cleanse me deep within
And it's real enough to find me when I'm lost
And it's great enough to die upon the cross.
It doesn't matter what color You are,
As long as Your blood was red.
Oh, precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow,
No other fount' I know.”
Kagome:
“It doesn't matter what color You are, as long as your blood was red.”
“She is quite a catch son, well done,” Tomaru said.
“Dad! The sermon's starting,” Inuyasha said, turning beet red.
“That was, beautiful, Kagome,” Kagura complimented after service.
“Your voice is absolutely wonderful,” Sakura added. `If Inuyasha doesn't marry her, I'll kill him.' (No, not Inuyasha!)
“Didn't I tell you my granddaughter was good?” Granpa bragged, putting his arms around his grandchildren.
“Thanks,” Kagome said modestly. “If everyone wants to, they can come to my house for dinner. It won't be much, just some fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn.”
“I'll make a peach cobbler (yummy),” Sango offered
“That sounds wonderful, dears,” Sakura eagerly accepted. “What time should we be there?”
“Um, well, it's 2:30 right now, so how's 4: 30 sound?” Kagome asked.
“We'll be there,” Tomaru said.
“Alright see you then,” Kagome said waving good-bye.
“Wait, Kagome,” Sango said. “Miroku has to go to his house to get his cell phone. Can I get a ride with you?”
“Of course. You'll have to get in back with Souta.”
“Thankies, roomie!”
“Granpa, I know you want to help, but you need to get out of the kitchen. Set the table or watch TV with Souta and Miroku,” Kagome said exasperated. Inuyasha and his family were coming in an hour and she had to let Sango in to bake her peach cobbler. Her grandfather had been trying to help in the kitchen since he got there, and well, let's just say he doesn't really know his way around the kitchen.
“Come now, Kagome. No need to be impatient with and old man. I just wanted to help,” Granpa protested.
“I know, Granpa, but you aren't the world's best cook.”
“Nonsense! I was chief cook on the S.S. Staten when I was a Navy lad.”
“And I am so proud of you, but now I need you to let me finish dinner so Sango can make her cobbler.”
“Oh, fine! Let me waste away in front of the TV with Souta and your best friend's boyfriend.”
“Thanks, love ya lots!” Kagome said with a teasing smile.
“Are you sassing your Granpa? You're not too old for me to ground you.”
“Oh, Granpa, you are such a spaz.”
“Don't patronize an old man.” Granpa left the kitchen and Kagome laughing over a bowl of chicken ready to be fried. She put the chicken in the frying pan and let Sango take over.
`This is going to be on crazy night,' she thought. (Hmmm, could beïCŠ)
An hour later, Kagome's first guest arrived.
“Hi Inuyasha,” she said, pecking him on the cheek. “Where's the rest of the Takashai clan?”
“They're on their way, my dad said they should be here in about ten minuets,” Inuyasha answered.
“O.k. Why don't you join the rest of the guys in the living room so Sango and I can finish in the kitchen?”
“Are you don't want anymore help?” (Awww! How sweet!)
“Positive, the less people in the kitchen the less work we have to do. Besides, you're the guest. We won't let you lift a finger until it's time to do the dishes.”
“Alright then. I think there's a basketball game on anyway.” Just as Inyasha turned to go to the living room, the doorbell rang.
“Could someone get that?” Kagome called from the kitchen.
“Inuyasha, you're already up, you get it,” Souta said from his spot on the couch. (Typical guy.)
“Oh, fine!” Inuyasha huffed. He opened the door and was mauled by his niece.
“Uncle Inu! You beat us,” Rin said hopping up and down.
“Sheesh, Sessh, what did you feed this kid, a pound of sugar?”
“No, it was Kool-Aid. Where's your girlfriend?”
“She's in the kitchen finishing up.”
“No, I'm right here.” Kagome came out of the kitchen drying her hands. “Hi Sesshomaru, you all can join the guys in the living room.”
“Oh, are they watching basketball?” Kagura asked, with obvious distaste.
“They probably are,” Sango commented. “Don't worry though, dinner's ready.”
“Thank goodness,” Sakura and her husband walked in and hung up their coats. “I haven't had fried chicken in ages!”
“Well then, you're in for a treat, Mr. and Mrs. Takahashi, Kagome is an awesome cook,” Miroku said.
“Thanks, Miroku, but I'm still not making you an extra batch,” Kagome said, guiding everyone to the dining room (again, her house is crappy, not small). The food was set out on the table with two pitchers of soda (not to be confused with her little brother, Souta).
“Ms. Kagome,” Rin said as they sat down. “Can I be in the choir, too?”
“Now, sweet hart, the choir is for bigger people. Maybe you can ask her when you're a little older,” Kagura said.
“Well, actually, there is a Sunbeams choir. Rin can join if she likes,” Kagome said smiling.
“I don't know, Kagome, I'd have to meet the director first,” Kagura, answered, considering it.
“Directors and they're sitting in front of you,” Sango spoke up.
“Really? That's wonderful!” Sakura exclaimed. “Our church doesn't have a choir for the younger kids.”
“Well, the Sunbeams a great,” Kagome said. “Its gets the kids more involved in the church.
“What about transportation?” Kagura asked.
“One of us could drive her home,” Sango volunteered.
“Yeah, it's no problem,” Kagome chimed.
“Well, if you're sure, I have no objections,” Kagura said. “Sesshomaru?”
“I am perfectly fine with it. Anything that gets Rin involved with church is worth a try,” Sesshomaru answered.
“So I get to sing?” Rin asked.
“Yes, you do, sweetie,” Tomaru answered.
“Yay!”
“Dinner was wonderful, dear,” Sakura said as she and her family got ready to leave. “We really must return the favor.”
“That sounds great,” Kagome said. “We'll see you on Wednesday, Rin!”
“OK. `Bye Ms. Kagome, `bye Ms. Sango!” Rin called from her seat in the back of her parents' car.
“That was great, Kag,” Inuyasha said kissing her on the cheek.
“Her food is always good my friend,” Miroku commented clapping Inuyasha on the back. Then he turned to Sango. “See you later babes.”
“Don't talk to me!” Sango replied indignantly.
“What'd I do?” asked Miroku, startled.
“Oh, so you sayin' you can't tell your girlfriend if you liked her cobbler or not?”
“Ohhh, Miroku's in trouble!” Kagome taunted.
“I'm sorry baby,” Miroku tried.
“Uh huh, just don't let it happen again,” Sango said, planting a kiss on his lips. “Night babes.”
“Night sweetie.” Miroku and Inuyasha left, followed by Granpa. Souta was spending the night with Kagome and Sango.
“That was fun,” Kagome said as they washed the cleaned the kitchen.
“Why do I have to help you two clean?” Souta complained. “I'm the guest.”
“You're not really a guest, you're my brother,” Kagome retorted.
“But, I'm a guy!”
“What does that have to do with the soil content in France?” Sango asked incredulously.
“Well, cleaning is girls work.” Sango and Kagome exchanged disturbed glances over young Souta's head, who could have given him such chauvinistic ideas?
“What are guys supposed to do?” Sango asked.
“Well, we're supposed do all the hard stuff, like bringing the money home.”
“And what we do are just hobbies?” Kagome asked. “Who put that junk in your head?”
“Some guy at school said that's how his father brought him up.”
“Well that is absolute nonsense!”
“OK! I get it!”
“Good, now get ready for bed. You're still going to school tomorrow.” Kagome kissed Souta on the forehead, and Sango gave him a hug. As Souta turned to leave, the girls smacked him on the head.
“Ow!”
“That was for any other girl you might have said that to,” Kagome said grinning.
“Girl Power!” declared Sango.
“Fine, sheesh! Y'all are heavy handed. Later.”