InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Bet ❯ Saturday Night Fever ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

[Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or the rest of the chars. Still.]

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

********

"I'm so going to kill you, Inu…" If my head doesn't kill me first.

Lying in bed, Saturday morning, she was trying to decide whether to kill Inuyasha or just torture him a bit - preferably with as much blood and spilled guts she could get out of him. The rest of the night before - after Sesshoumaru in the kitchen - was rather hazy, and she didn't really remember anything else.

'Kagome, you're 22 years old, for fuck's sake! You're supposed to have learned the thing with drinking too much and hangovers!'

"No, not you again! Go away, I'm trying to die here!"

"Huh?" Her brother passing in the doorway watched her as she tried to bang her head against the side of the bed, hoping to break her neck in the process.

"Mom! Kagome's got a hangover again!" Snarling at the sound, she made a face at him. He hadn't discovered alcohol yet, mostly because Kagome's constant whining about death after she had been at a party had worked very well to keep him from it.

"Shut up, you little idiot, or I'll tear your fucking head from your shoulders and let the guys play soccer with it!" Grabbing her own head with her hands, she heard him laugh at her, only adding to her anger.

"And she's threatening me again!" He left then, yelling something else that made her whine, trying to cover her ears. She didn't feel like she would vomit, but her head was trying to kill her through slow torture. That's it! Death through slow torture, that's what I'm going to put him through, as soon as I can stand again!

The phone rung suddenly, but she didn't even bother to rise her head. She didn't care who it was, Hojo or Inu, or even Sesshoumaru. They can all go to hell!

"Kagome! It's for you! It's Inu!" She reached for her own phone, missing it the first time she tried to grab it, but managing the second.

"What the hell do you want, you son of a dehydrated bitch?" Dehydrated? Oh well, might as well try…

Laughter met her, and she scowled.

"Good morning, dear! I've missed you too!" I'm not up for his sarcasm today…

"What do you want? And while you're at it, give me one reason why I'm not going to kill you when I get my hands on you!"

"Dad phoned this morning, he won't be home for another month yet. Mom will stay with him too." Snarling, she tried to find the words to tell him what he could do with himself.

"You called me just to say that? Fuck off, Inu!"

"Feh! Not just that! Sesshoumaru is acting quite strange this morning, what the hell did you do to him?" Curiousity shone through the phone, and she smiled.

"None of your business! Afraid of loosing Tetsusaiga?" She thought she heard him laugh, but she wasn't sure.

"It's eight days left, you know. Keh! He won't give in that easily."

"Just leave that to me, would you? And now, if you'll excuse me, I will continue dying. See you later, sweetheart!"

"You're not up for going to the mall today?" She could hear the evil grin he without doubt would be displaying on his side of the phone, and she scowled.

"Go fuck yourself, Inu!"

"Yeah yeah… Whatever, honey!" With that, the phone clicked, the connection broken and she hung her own back again before falling down on her pillows, trying to get herself together.

*****

Inuyasha grinned as he watched his older brother reading the morning paper. He had been methodically working his way to the financial section, the only thing he really bothered to read. Blind as a bat for the truck that's going to hit him…

"Stop grinning like an idiot. What do you want?" He didn't even bother to look up from his paper as he reached for his orange juice.

"What happened between you and Kagome last night?" If he hadn't been waiting for the reaction, he would have missed it as his brother twitched his eyebrows, remaining otherwise motionless. Ha! Got him! Whatever she did to him, he's way off balance now!

"Whatever 'happened' is between her and me. You have no part in it." He didn't look up from the papers, but continued reading it as Inuyasha stared at him.

"Well, whatever, she sounded a bit upset this morning. Or it could just be that she has a hangover from hell to deal with."

"Probably the latter." With that, he rose, throwing the paper down on the table and left the kitchen. Inuyasha stared after him for a moment before folding the paper and putting it neatly into the pile with the others. Something was decidedly odd with Sesshoumaru today, and that something was spelled Kagome Higurashi, or his soul would be damned.

Watching his brother walk out in the garden on his usual Saturday morning-round he smiled. He would have given almost anything to know what had happened between them last night, but neither of them would tell him. Perhaps Kagome, after the bet was over, but he wouldn't get a word out of his brother.

*****

Sesshoumaru walked slowly through the garden, enjoying the crisp air and tried to sort out his feelings. The way he had reacted yesterday had been strange, to say the least. He knew that she had been drunk, but not drunk enough to not know what she was doing. And that was the disturbing part. She had known all along what she had been up to, leading him along like a sheep bound for slaughter. And he had just followed along, without a care in the world or a working braincell since all his blood had been somewhere else… A scowl deepened on his usually stoic face, and he sat down on a bench, a forgotten drink still standing there. He poured it out, watching the ground soak up the liquid in a moment, very much like she had done with him last night. Kagome… No, if you're calling her by name, then it means that you've accepted thinking about her!

Chuckling, he thought about the way she had explained about her inner voice, arguing with it. He didn't really understand what she had meant, but it had been interesting to listen to her. To say the least…

Without really knowing what he was doing, he grabbed his cellphone and tried to remember her number. He had often enough called her earlier to get Inuyasha home, but now, it was gone from his head. Perhaps as well…

But still, there was something in him that wanted to call her, to make sure that she was all right, despite what his brother said. Frowning, he tried the number showing up in his head, not quite sure what he was doing.

"Higurashi residence," a young male voice answered, the one he recognized as her younger brother.

"I wish to speak with Kagome, if you please." He tried to make his voice curt, and winced as the other one chuckled.

"She's in bed and not feeling so well. Do you want me to try anyway?" To try, or not to? To his own amazement, he heard himself answer.

"If she's well enough to talk, I would very much like to. Just tell her it's Inu, and she'll get to the phone." Once again, the chuckling sound.

"Sure. You don't sound like him though, but you don't sound like Hojo either…" Hojo? Who the hell is Hojo?

The phone clattered to the ground, and the boy was screaming on the top of his lungs.

"Kagome, phone for you again! It's Inu, again!" The reciever clattered down, and another one was brought up. Before he had the chance to say anything, her sweet voice reached his ears.

"Inu? I'm going to kill you, beginning with cutting off your fucking balls and fry them for your dinner! Then, I'm going to drag you naked through town, through all the fucking thornbushes I can find! What do you want this time, you stupid son of a bitch?" Slightly taken aback by her harangue, he was silent for a moment before regaining his composure.

"It's not Inu." Silence greeted him, and he could almost hear those little wheels spinning in her head again. She was probably talking to the little voice again. He supressed a smile at the thought.

"If it's not Inu, then who is it? And if it is you, I'm going to double your torture for this!"

"It's Sesshoumaru." His dry voice had the desired effect as it shut her up.

"Oh." Stunned, are we?

"You might say that, yes."

"Well, Sesshoumaru, what do you want?" Ahh, the Ice Queen is back, apparently…

"I just wanted to make sure that you were all right… The last time I saw you last night, someone had tucked you in on the couch."

"Yeah, probably Inu. He brought me home too."

Silence greeted the two of them before he sighed. He hadn't known why he had called her, but he could make something out of it yet.

"…" He could hear how she was trying to find something to say, and for the first time in a very long time, he was without something to say himself.

"About last night…" A beginning as good as any other, he guessed.

"Yes?" came her wary reply.

"Do you remember what you were doing?" The safe way of talking about it.

"You mean… In the kitchen?" Pause.

"Yes." Another pause, longer this time.

"Yes, I do. Why?" Defensive… This was getting more and more strange. He hadn't expected her to admit that she remembered anything, and definitely not asking him why.

"I just wondered. How much had you really had to drink?" A feeling that he slightly recognized as embarrassment was trying to get his attention, not that he ever would admit to it.

"Enough to do what I did, but not enough to forget, apparently."

"I see."

"I thought you would." The spicy sarcasm that had been her trademark for as long as he had known her was back in her voice, and he smiled. She was back to her old self again, without leaving anything for him to worry about.

"I will let you sleep now. Inu told me you had a 'hangover from hell' to deal with." He heard her chuckle for a moment before answering.

"Yeah, you might say that."

"If you wouldn't be drinking so much, you wouldn't have to worry about it." Great, now you're sounding like her father or something! Way to go!

"Well… I'm a slow learner, apparently." Her voice had a definite tinge of amusement to it now, and he smiled.

"Apparently."

"Sesshoumaru?"

"Yes?"

"You're a damn good kisser, you know that?" The reciever clicked into place again before he had the chance of responding, leaving him dumbfounded. What?

Suddenly, the vague outline of their behavior came to mind, and he froze. It couldn't be that way, could it? But on the other hand, they were both crazy enough to try something like that, he knew that much. But still…

Sitting down on the bench again, he set his mind to work. First, the way she had behaved in the kitchen, finding just the right places to knead his sore back, and then yesterday… Scowling, he found the conclusion. Something had made those two mark him as their target in some stupid game they were playing. But if two can play it, then three can as well…

Smiling, he rose, going back into the house to check on some details with his brother.

*****

Saturday evening was coming along rapidly as he sat in the library, working through some reports. The company was doing well, but for some reason, money was missing. He didn't like that, to think that someone was trying to steal from them. It will be better when Dad gets home, then we can go through this again.

Resting his head in his hands, he relaxed for a moment, letting his thoughts wander on their own. And found them centering on Kagome Higurashi for some reason. No, I'm not going to go there!

Sighing, he loosened his tie a bit, opening the top button on his grey shirt and removed his reading glasses. It was after two in the morning, the house quiet and empty by now. He knew that Inuyasha was out somewhere with Kikyo and the rest of his friends, probably with Kagome too. Stop thinking about her!

Rising, he went over to the window to watch the garden outside. It was colder today than it had been yesterday and autumn was coming along quickly. Frost was already gathering on the grass, and the small pond had a thin layer of ice that would be gone tomorrow again. His mother had planned that garden, planted it and nursed it till the other woman had come into their lives, Inuyasha's mother, and forced her out of her home. The wench had already been pregnant with his halfbrother when his father dropped the bomb, divorcing his mother within the year. She had moved to the other side of the country, and he hadn't seen her in long time. He thought of perhaps visiting her soon, or even call her, but he didn't want to upset the new life she without doubt would have created there.

The sound of a car brought his attention to the garage, and he watched as Inuyasha and friends laughing hurried into the house.

The door slammed open behind him, revealing Inuyasha and Kikyo in the front row, Kagome, Miroku and Sango in the second. He watched them expressionless for a moment before turning his head back to the reports, seating himself with his back to them, wondering what they were doing here.

"Aww, poor Sesshou, you can't sit here all night alone!" Kagome's taunting voice made him tense for a moment before forcing himself to relax again. He didn't even bother to turn around to look at her, but the sudden silence in the room told him that the other ones were expecting an answer.

"I've got reports to see to. If you don't have anything better to say, I suggest that you leave me alone now." He cast a glance over his shoulder to see her stand there, her head cocked slightly to the side, an impish grin on her lips.

"But I have something better to say, Sess-chan." The way she shortened his name had him jerking his head around even before he knew he had done it.

"It's Sesshoumaru. Learn it and use it." The icy gold of his eyes didn't seem to have any effect on her, and he watched her as she turned to the rest.

"It's Sesshoumaru. You've better learn it and use it, or he won't answer." She imitated his voice and the giggle coming from her had the others smiling, but he ignored them and concentrated on her again. Playing games, are we?

"Are you drunk again? Little girls can just take so much…" The words had the desired effect as she stiffened from anger, and he laughed silently inside as she turned around again, meeting his eyes. It was petty, he knew that, but he was letting irritation taking the better of him, the usual reaction with her around.

"And little boys even less." For some reason, that had the rest of them in a laughing fit, and he watched them for a moment before gathering the papers and prepare to leave the room.

"Good night." He could feel her stare as he walked past her, brushing up against her bare arm for a moment before he was out the door, heading for his office. I should have stayed there from the beginning, and she wouldn't have dared disturbed me!

Almost growling with anger, he slammed the door shut behind him to force out the sound of their laughter. He wasn't hurt; he didn't care much about them, but he was annoyed to have been interrupted like that.

He picked up the phone, knowing that Jaken would be awake by this time.

"Hello?" The voice of his underling was slightly muffled, and he scowled.

"Wake up, Jaken." The squeak coming from the other side of the phone was most satisfactory.

"Sesshoumaru-sama! What brings me the honor…?"

"There's money missing from the company. Find whoever did it. I'll fax the papers over right now."

"H-Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama!"

"And Jaken?"

"Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"You've better work fast." With that, he hung up the reciever and settled down in his large armchair, staring out into the darkness in the room. Lighting the lamp on his desk, he began going over the figures again. Somewhere, there was someone who was sitting on a lot of money. His money.

*****

Kagome watched him brush past her, felt the way their arms connected momentarily, and shivered. His eyes when they had regarded her a moment before sent shivers down her spine, a strange combination between lust and… fear? No, I'm NOT afraid of him! However, what had happened last night had had more effect on her than she would care to admit to anyone - least of all Inu who was watching her silently, without doubt knowing what she was thinking.

"Let's get down to the kitchen and grab something!" Miroku was hungry as always, and the rest followed him out of the room, leaving her alone for a moment. She looked over to the table where he had been seated and noticed his glasses lying there, forgotten. What the hell… Might as well give it a try…

She picked them up, studying them for a moment before hurrying out and down the dark corridor. The one thing she didn't like about the Onishi mansion was that it was so… dark, so… intimidating… Horror show, kind of.

She knew where his office was, and didn't even bother knocking as she barged in. He glanced up from his papers, the lamp on his desk the only source of light in the otherwise dark room.

"You forgot your glasses." She walked over to him and dumped them on the desk, watching him reach for them.

"Thank you." He put them on, and she smiled. Glancing up at her again, he wondered if there would be more insults or if she would just leave.

"You're welcome." She didn't make any sign of leaving, and he continued studying his papers in hope that she would get the message.

Kagome watched as he became more and more aware of her still standing there, and smiled.

"Okay, what do you want this time?" He looked up again, meeting her eyes, trying to intimidate her. He wasn't in the mood for her games, he had more important things to take care of. He thought he had figured out what she and his useless brother was up to, but tonight he didn't want to play along. Hoping that she would get it without him having to spell it out, he continued meeting her eyes. Apparently, she didn't. Instead, she shrugged and seated herself on the edge of his desk, leaning slightly forward. He got a nice view of her cleavage when she did, but he knew also that she knew, which took away some of the… interest… No games tonight...

"What do you think I want?" Smiling, she watched him as he leaned back into the chair, momentarily shading his face.

"How would I know? Go away and play with someone else." He reached for the papers again, only to find that she had placed a hand on them, hindering him.

"But I don't want to play with someone else… They're boring…" Almost whispering, she watched how he evaluated the situation, knowing that he wouldn't give in so easily.

"Too bad then. I've got work to see to, so get out." Rising, he grabbed her arm and dragged her off his desk, ignoring her startled yelp.

"Hey!" Going back to basics as he tried to shove her out through the door; meaning jerking herself loose, straightening her clothes and crossing her arms under her breasts, she glared at him.

"Get. Out." His quiet voice was more threatening than anything she had heard in a long time, and she took a step backwards. This was not going the way it should!

"I know when I'm not wanted. You don't have to spell it out. Good night, Sesshoumaru." Slamming the door behind her, she left.

Leaning against the door once she had got out of the room, she tried to calm her racing heart. She had very seldom seen him angry - he was always in control of his emotions - but just now, those eyes had been the scariest thing she had ever seen. What have I gotten myself into?

Walking down the corridor, she shied away from the shadows. Stupid Inu! Stupid Sesshoumaru! And stupid, stupid, stupid me!

'Yeah, you really screwed this one up!'

You again? Go away!

'No, you're going to listen to me now!'

I'm not! You're just the voice in my head, the source of all this! You think I'm going to listen to you? Well, you might want to reconsider that!

'Whatever, sooner or later, you'll listen…'

Scowling, she came into the kitchen, watching her friends sitting around the table, eating a… salad? Blushing furiously, she grabbed a chair and seated herself next to Kikyo and Inu, trying not to let them notice the color of her face. Great, now the bloody idiot have me blushing without even being close! What's WRONG with me?

"Where did you go?" Sango's curious voice brought her back, and she gulped guiltily.

"I… I was just…" Mumbling something incoherent, she rose, leaving them again. She felt Inuyasha's gaze on her back as she more or less threw herself out of the kitchen door, back to safer grounds.

Her heart was pounding in her chest and she went out to the garden, hoping that the cool night air would calm her down. She wasn't that drunk, whatever he had thought her to be, but it still… hurt? No, not the right word, but… annoyed me, to have him thinking that I was only doing it because I had had a little too much to drink.

'No, what were you going to say? That it's just a stupid bet to get Inu to shut up for once?'

No! Of course not! And why am I even listening to you? You landed me in this in the first place, remember?

'I did not! It was your own stupid pride that did it!'

And you're a part of me, apparently, so it was a part of YOUR pride as well! Either you help me out here, or you get lost!

'I'm not going to fix something I didn't even start!'

Then get lost! And don't come back until you have something better to say!

"Talking to your little voice again?" She jumped, turning around to find him staring at her, amused. His bad temper from earlier seemed to have vanished, and she blushed.

"Yeah, it's annoying me again." Trying not to fiddle with her hair, she met his eyes.

"Why don't you tell it to shut up then?" She barked a laugh at that, startling him.

"I've tried, but very much like Inu, it just ignores me and keeps on commenting." Great, now he'll think I'm nuts as well!

'Instead of just drunk?'

Go away, traitor!

"Yes, my brother can be that way, sometimes." She snorted at that, and he smiled slightly. Standing there with him felt a little strange, but not frightening. The way he seemed to be at peace with himself now was so different from earlier that she couldn't help but stare. He still had his glasses on, giving him a more sophisticated look, instead of just being gorgeous. Hold it! Where did that come from?

'From you, of course!'

Go away, I'm not going to let you ruin this!

He tilted his head slightly to the side, studying her for a moment. She was suddenly very self-conscious, and nervous. What's wrong with me this time? I'm acting like I'm in love!

The thought brought a cynical smile to her lips. Love, yes. No. Never in love again. At least not with someone that wasn't Inu. She had never really gotten over him, and she sometimes thought that he might still be in love with her too. Sometimes, but not when doing things like landing her in this bet.

"What are you smiling at this time? Did it shut up, or are you still trying to defeat it?" Curiousity and amusement made an odd mix in his voice, she decided as she shrugged again.

"It did shut up. For now, at least. It'll probably be back in a moment or so." He laughed softly then, watching her puzzled face. She smiled hesitantly and he took a step closer. At once, her smile disappeared, replaced by something else. He could see lust in that mix, as well as longing and loneliness. But she wasn't the only one who could play games…

Reaching out, he brushed back a strand of her hair away from her face and behind her ear before tilting her small face upwards to him. She was much shorter, in her high heels, she just reached above his shoulder. And now, without nothing more than a pair of sneakers, she was a long way down. Waiting.

He leaned in, kissing her softly, and immediately felt her step closer, pressing her body to his. Her hands reached into his long hair, entwining themselves with it even as his arms encircled her. He could even feel her pulse beat, the steady rythm changing to something else, rushing faster. He felt his own echoing it too, urged on by the way she was pressed to him.

Slightly out of breath, he broke away from her and let her lean her head on his chest for a moment before turning her face upwards again, meeting her eyes. Stepping in for the kill…

"This is your game, isn't it? Your's and Inu's?" To say that she was astonished was an understatement as she blinked and blushed. She tried to break free from his arms, but he held onto her.

"I have no idea what you're talking about! You're paranoid, you know that?" He laughed at her then, watching her squirm and fueled her anger even more as he leaned in, mindful of her teeth - he wouldn't put it past her to try to bite him - as he brushed his lips against hers, earning a sharp intake of air.

"How much do you have to do? Kiss me? Get me into bed? And what's the price?" She was frozen in his arms, her mind working overtime. And not coming up with a single thing to say. Fuck!

"Let go. Of me. Now." It was the only thing that she could come up with, and she met the silent laughter in his eyes with her own fury.

"As you wish." With that, he let her go, leaving her behind as he went inside again, feeling her furious scowl following him the whole way. Got you now…

Kagome was still standing there, a strange feeling of loss inside her, and she clutched her stomach. Fuck, it hurts! There was no use in denying it this time, the pain was there too strongly for her to ignore it. Why? Because he suspects that it's nothing more than a bet? Or because it feels… wrong… to do this? It's not like I haven't slept with that many, but it still feels wrong, like betrayal…

Shaking her head to clear it from her thoughts, she decided to call it a night. He had just flipped the tables too much for her to do anything about it now. Tomorrow, I'm going to get him back for what he did…

Tomorrow

********

End Part III