InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The curse of the dragon ❯ Eyes wide open ( Chapter 77 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~<>~ Curse of the Dragon ~<>~
 
 
~<>~ Chapter 77 ~<>~ Eyes wide open
 
 
 
Kagome knew something bad had happened or was going to happen the minute they got out of the car; it was like having your stomach turn over in your gut, feeling queasy after turning in circles to many times; it was as if someone was had punched her in the gut. She glanced around the outside of the building, barely illuminated in the golden pools of drowsy morning light and tried to discern just why her hair was on end. She glanced behind her and stifled a small smile. It wasn't as if she was alone to walk into the building by herself, she had to keep chanting. Ryen was more awake their either boy; InuYasha was dragging his feet behind them and Sesshoumaru was still unconscious, left alone to spend the night in the car. Yet what dared to bring a smile to her face was that Ryen had his arm slung around InuYasha's shoulders, supporting the boy's weight as if his own. Kagome reached back and tapped Ryen's free wrist and gravely nodded towards the building. Her voice was thin, drawn out from the long day of near traumatic events. “Ryen…”
 
Ryen slowly lifted his eyes, acknowledging the same feelings as the young miko. His hair had been on end from the moment they got out of the car. He nodded once sternly to Kagome and pulled her behind him with a single yank of his other hand. He lifted his arm away from the hanyou and tilted his head towards Kagome to take his place. Kagome ducked under her lover's arm and held him up as best she could.
 
Ryen reached for his gun then paused, his fingers slowly dancing over the handle of the eagle before he cast a long look at Kagome and reached behind him, under his coat. “Keep back, Kagome.” He pulled out the sword, the metal scraping the sheath like nails across a chalkboard. InuYasha was instantly on alert, his weight redistributed off Kagome's shoulders and his arms wrapped securely around his mate with a sneer on his face. All of them could feel the demonic energy surrounding the main room of the precinct, along with the undeniable air of hostility that accompanied it. Ryen tapped the door with the tip of Sou'unga and shoved it open slowly, his amber eyes narrowed to near slits. He paused, his eyes training on figures just out of InuYasha and Kagome's view then he sighed loudly. Pushing the door, the older Youkai strut into his building, the long deadly sword resting against his shoulder. He tapped the blade twice against his trench coat then sighed again. He glanced from the three ningens to the demon and then turned to the door. “It's fine…just got some company…”
 
InuYasha pushed through the door before Kagome and paused, his face twisting into a vicious sneer. “Kagura…” he took a few steps towards the group then paused. It was obvious that the wind sorceress was the cause of the demonic presence…yet the hostile aura belonged to the human who was fighting with her boyfriend, seemingly able at the moment to rip out Kagura's throat. Sango was pulling at Miroku's arms every so often, her chocolate eyes blazing with fury into the ruby red ones of the Youkai. InuYasha slowly folded his arms as he ambled towards the three humans. “What the hell is going on?”
 
Miroku glanced from Sango to Kagura then raised an eyebrow at the hanyou. “We got back from patrolling to find Kagura here…talking with your…” he glanced towards the makeshift cells where Bankotsu was leaning against the bars, his arms hanging loosely through the metal poles, “…prisoner. Sango figured that they were plotting and demanded answers. Kagura thought it funny to piss Sango off more…” he clicked his tongue and shook his head, his eyes shifting to the female Youkai. “Never…and I'm serious…never piss Sango off after midnight, and especially if she has been up all day.” Hearing the short growl from the girl in his arms, Miroku smiled brightly, “the things I've learned while living with my angel.” He kissed her forehead, which ironically only managed to piss Sango off more.
 
Sango turned to glower at InuYasha and Kagome before allowing her eyes to regress to there narrowed state of being and redirecting her gaze towards Kagura. “We got back to hear that Kagura knows Naraku personally…and that she has inside information. I demanded to know what the hell she was planning and what she knew. The bitch just laughed…she fucking laughed at me.”
 
Kagome gasped and jogged to her friend's side to address the gash on the side of Sango's right cheek. It was only upon moving closer that she could notice the swelling of the girl's lip and under one eye. Kagome spun around to gape at Kagura, only to notice similar bruises on the Youkai. Her mouth hung open for a moment before she could find her voice. When she did, it was high pitched and full of incriminating tones. “Did you two fight?”
 
Kagura flipped her loose black hair over her shoulder and turned her condescending gaze towards Kagome. Sarcasm punctuated her sentence and dripped from each word/ “No, you stupid bitch, we both just happened to fall and hit the exact same fucking chair at the same exact time.” she ignored the warning growls from both white haired Youkai's in the room and scoffed.
 
Ryen rubbed the bridge of his nose then glanced at the third party member of the human's task force. “And just who the hell are you?”
 
The short brown haired boy shifted on his feet and barely could meet the intense gaze of the Youkai. “I…I'm here with Sango. She…she's my sister. I w…was…helping searching for Rin.”
 
Ryen studied the boy for a moment then shifted his eyes to get a conformation from Miroku. When the human nodded, Ryen shrugged and slid the sword back into its sheath on his back. “You got a name, kid?”
 
The boy looked up, seemingly shocked. “Kohaku…my name is Kohaku.”
Ryen nodded swiftly then turned his gaze back to the female Youkai. “So what's your excuse for being here, besides for being a pain in our collective ass…and just who the fuck are you?”
 
Kagura looked over the Youkai, her eyes dancing across his defined chest that was pushing against the black wife beater he donned before lifting to his face. “Look…I need to talk to someone I can trust.”
 
Ryen glanced back to InuYasha who was growling at the female Youkai then towards Miroku and Sango who, if looks could kill, would be locked up. “You don't seem to have the greatest popularity here with my friends. Care to tell me why?”
 
Kagura rolled her eyes and looked away towards the exit of the building. “We don't have the most…pristine…relationships; me and those delinquents you call your friends. I have my business that I attend to, and they theirs. We don't cross paths much without a bit of enmity.”
 
Ryen studied the girls face then laughed quietly. “You speak as if business partners, not school mates. I'm really starting to think you guys all take yourselves way to seriously.”
 
InuYasha snapped his head around to glower at Ryen. “Are you really going to say that after the shit that we just went though? Can you honestly think that?”
Ryen took a sidelong glance at InuYasha then scoffed. “None of this bullshit would be happening if you kids were just that; kids. Instead, you got one insane son of a bitch who thinks himself god, another who was to proud to get help, one who is to proud to ask for help, one who can't keep it in their pants, another who can't stay out of them…one bent on asking everyone women in the world to fornicate with him, another bent to keep him in line, one who wants to do enough drugs to make up for the rest of us…” he glanced at Kagura and eyed her over, “so tell me, what's your fuck up? How do you fit into this whole entourage of problems?” Ryen turned back to the others, who were staring at him slack jawed, and shrugged his shoulders, “tell me what the fuck happened to watching Fraggle Rock and the opposite sex having cooties?”
 
Kagura laughed cynically and turned her head from the group. “Didn't you hear, condoms prevent the spread of cooties.”
 
Ryen turned around slowly and raised an eyebrow. The stoic demeanor of the family washed across his face, yet his eyes crackled with annoyance. His mouth moved a couple times, yet he was unable to articulate a smart answer. After a moment, he scoffed and shook his head, “I think you missed my point.”
 
Kagura slid off the table she was sitting on and carefully stepped around the livid Sango to approach Ryen. “I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are Onuni Ryen.”
 
Ryen shrugged off his coat and draped it over a chair. “Close enough…what can I do for you?”
 
Kagura sighed loudly and held out her hand, a gesture of impatience. “Look, are you Ryen or not?”
 
Ryen nodded slowly, “Taisho Soryeenans. What can I do for you?”
 
Kagura scoffed and kicked at the floorboards. “Whatever; I have to talk to you…it's about Naraku.”
 
It was almost as if the entire room suddenly were holding their breath. All talk stopped that was whispered lightly amongst those in the precinct, and all eyes became focused on the sorceress.
 
InuYasha pushed past Ryen and glowered at the girl, “spill your fucking guts, Kagura. What the hell do you know?”
 
Kagura shifted her eyes very slowly from the older Youkai to the hanyou, perturbed at the interruption. “I'm talking to the sergeant, hanyou, not you.”
InuYasha cocked an eyebrow and took a menacing step towards Kagura. “You want to say that to my face, bitch?”
 
Kagura laughed wickedly and held out her hands, “I think I did…but just in case…”
 
A gun suddenly appeared out of nowhere, directly right under Kagura's chin pressing lightly against her jawbone. Kagura gapped and followed the arm up towards the owner. “I…”
 
Ryen shook his head and clicked off the safety. “Look, I'm gonna make this real easy. We've all had long days, we're all exhausted of chasing dead ends, and right now you are looking like a good target for those frustrations. So this is how it's going to work; because so help me god if you deviate one step from what I say, I'll shoot you. First, you are going to tell me what you were talking to Delinquent number two over there about, especially since we all know Delinquent number one is dead.” He lowered his voice and shrugged, “see, associating with those who I know associate with Naraku isn't good…especially right now. He's kind of the bad guy…and I guess you could call us the justice league. Now, you're gonna tell me what you said to shit-brick over there, and then you're going to tell me what you know about Naraku. We'll see if I let you go after that.”
 
Sango whirled around the glowered at Ryen. “You can't be serious! Ryen, you cannot trust that bitch!”
 
Ryen turned and met Sango head on. “Look, honey; I've had a long night, I want to sleep and I want to sleep for a long fucking time. But I can't…cause fire and brimstone is falling from the fucking sky right now. So what I do is going to be my decision. You don't like it, then get the hell out of my police station.”
 
Miroku cleared his throat gently, his hand in a fist in front of his mouth. “Ryen…” he dropped his hand and lifted his eyes. “Lady Sango is right, you know. Kagura has never proved to be that trustworthy. As a matter of fact, she is one of the gang leaders in our high school.”
 
InuYasha moseyed his way around the group and sat down at a desk near Bankotsu's cell and leaned the chair against the bars. Kicking his feet onto the wood, he mused; “look, right now we basically know that Rin is up shit's creek and that we have little to no leads to get her out. We know that Naraku's jail sentence is waning every moment that Rin is incarcerated. We don't know jack shit beyond that. I say listen to the bitch then shoot her.”
 
Kagura turned and flipped the boy off with a loud hiss.
 
InuYasha returned the gesture with both hands and a sarcastic smile.
 
Ryen cleared his throat and pointed a finger at InuYasha, wordless threatening him to keep quiet. He then turned to Kagome and nodded slowly, “why don't you take prince charming over there and get some rest upstairs. I got a couple cots spread out.”
Kagome crossed her arms and shook her head, “I normally wouldn't object, I am tired…but there's to much to do. I'll research Tsubaki's clinic and see what I can find out about getting in there and just where the barrier is coming from?”
 
Ryen studied the girls face for a moment then sighed, “all right, if you feel yourself up to it. I'd rather see you sleep, so your mother won't kill me amongst other things, but if you feel up to it…then you know where the computers are.”
 
Kagome nodded and walked towards Sango, Miroku and Kohaku. “Why don't you three go get some rest? You've been running just as hard as any of us.”
 
Sango's eyes trained onto Kagura's. “I won't leave until this bitch is behind bars.”
 
Kagome sighed and glanced at Kohaku. “Take your sister home, please.”
 
Sango snapped her head around with her jaw nearly hanging to the floor. “K…Kagome…I…”
 
Kagome patted her friend's shoulder and slowly shook her head, “No, Sango, you need to get some rest. If we're all running on empty, whose gonna save Rin?”
 
Tears of frustration welled in the slayer's eyes as she slowly shook her head, “I want to help…”
 
Miroku wrapped his arm around Sango's shoulder and nuzzled her cheek with his nose, “we've done our best, Sango…now it's in the hands of our friends. You have to trust them, Sango, and then be ready to jump in.” he nodded towards Kagome and then began to pull Sango towards the door, “come love, we'll get some sleep and then start fresh.”
 
Sango pulled away from Miroku and threw her arms around Kagome. Hugging her friend with all she could, tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. “Kagome, we have to save Rin! We have to! I don't care if I'm up for a hundred hours straight…we have to…”
 
Kagome nodded slowly, “We will…I promise, we will.” She hugged back her friend and rested her chin on Sango's head. “At least we know she's okay.”
 
Sango shook her head, the river continuing to trail down her face. “But we don't. All you've said is that you found her. Have you seen her? Do you know what she's thinking, if she's even breathing? Is she awake?”
 
Kagome patted Sango's back and hushed her. “I'm sure Rin is okay…she has to be. It's Rin, Sango, she's a survivor!”
 
Sango shook her head slowly, “why her…what the hell did she do to piss of the gods so much? Hasn't she been through enough?”
 
Kagome soothed her again, rubbing circles on the girl's back. “It's okay Sango, we'll make it okay. You know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.”
 
Sango sniffled and pushed her friend away. Wiping her eyes furiously, she sniffed again. “Don't go all fucking metaphorical on me, Kagome. I don't believe a word of that bullshit and you know it, and you don't either. This has not made Rin stronger, it's destroyed her.”
 
Kagome shook her head astutely. “No, you're wrong. I want you to think back a month and a half ago, Sango. Rin wouldn't have ever stood up to even Kouga, now she is going toe to toe against Naraku. She has become so much stronger, and she will get through this. I trust her…I trust her to pull through.”
 
Sango stared at the floor then slowly nodded. “You're right, I guess. Not much else we can do, huh?” she wrapped her arms around her body, shivering from an illusionary wind, a chill that darted up her spine. “By the god's Kagome…I feel so helpless.”
 
InuYasha yawned and nodded from the desk he was sitting on and the nodded sternly. . “I agree with you, Sango. It is a fucking helpless damn feeling but what else can we do? We can throw a fit and piss ourselves or we can try to take a stand against these bastards.”
 
Sango nodded sternly and wiped her eyes then wrapped her arm around Kohaku. “Come on kid, it's past your bedtime.” A small smile graced her face as Miroku slipped his hand into hers.
 
Miroku stole a glance back at his friend and scowled. “You don't look to good yourself, Yash. Maybe you should try to get some sleep.”
 
InuYasha smirked with no emotion behind it. “You know what they say; no rest for the wicked.”
 
Kohaku rolled his eyes and tugged at Sango's sleeve. “Come on, I left Souta at the apartment and I'm fucking tired.” He gave a short wave at the others as he walked from the room with Sango and Miroku in tote.
 
Kagome watched them go then turned around to catch the piercing gaze from Kagura. Folding her arms slowly, Kagome's aura flared. “Look, I just saved your ass. The least you can do is stop staring at me in contempt!”
 
Kagura scoffed and glanced away; her chin tilted higher then normal and seemed to be pouting. She rolled her eyes and mumbled a few choice phrases under her breath.
 
Kagome sighed and slowly shook her head. “Whatever. Look, when Naraku goes down, we'll know whose side your on.”
 
Kagura dragged her eyes back to the human. “I am on no side. I'm free, damnit, to choose what I do and who I trust. I'm free…”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “No one is completely free, Kagura. We're all victims of fate and destiny.”
 
Kagura lifted an eyebrow then nodded towards InuYasha. “you believe the shit your girlfriend is spewing?” looking back at Kagome, she narrowed her eyes. “if you believe that, then you're giving up. Rin's fate has been in the hands of Naraku, and you're saying that it's to be left there.”
 
Kagome nearly snarled back, “I never said that!”
 
A smile grew on Kagura's face. “in so many words, yes you did.”
 
Kagome took a step towards the Youkai then growled and turned away. “we're going to save Rin…I don't care who I need to kill to do it.”
 
Kagura laughed loudly and crossed her slender arms. “that's a joke. The high and mighty Higurashi, kill someone? Never! You don't have what it takes, Higurashi! You could never take a life but thanks for the laugh.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes, malice lacing her tone. “Keep it up and we'll see who I can kill.” Kagome turned on her heels and stormed out of the room towards the computers. “I'm going to start researching this institute. Someone deal with the bitch.”
 
Ryen waited until Kagome was in the computer room and then turned his full attention towards Kagura. “You really shouldn't piss her off right now. I think she could purify you with the touch of a finger if she tried.”
 
Kagura shifted in her seat, her eyes betraying her collected mannerism. “I fear no one.”
 
Ryen raised an eyebrow. “Somehow\, I doubt that. You fear Naraku and his retribution, don't you?”
 
Kagura looked away and sneered, “no…”
 
Ryen studied the girl's face then exchanged looks with InuYasha. When InuYasha nodded, Ryen proceeded. “I know about your sister.”
 
Kagura was honestly shocked by this news, but chose to put on an ambiguous face. “Then you should know why I'm here.”
Ryen shrugged and shoved his hands into his pockets and slowly began to pace the length of the room. “Actually, I don't. I would have understood had your sister been in ikijigoku for only a few days…I would have understood had she been there for a few months.” He paused and burned his amber orbs into the reflective red ones. “But the truth is, she's been lock away for…”
 
“Six years, I know.” Kagura ran a hand through her hair then slowly began to gather it together to put back into her normal neat bun. “I…I know it's been a while, but finding a group who would even attempt to take on Naraku is rare, let alone people I know.”
 
InuYasha scoffed and glanced at Bankotsu, behind the bars, and shook his head. though Bankotsu was trying to play if off that he was paying no attention to the matter, InuYasha knew better. His friend had heard the entire conversation and if anyone was a good judge of character, it was Bankotsu. “Would you trust this bitch?”
 
Bankotsu shrugged and tilted his head to stare at Kagura, “well, she ain't lying about her sister. Her voice hasn't wavered and she isn't fidgeting. When she lies, she tends to look to the ceiling or lift her chin to just the slightest of angles. Her eyes also dilate just the slightest bit. Besides, ain't no normal people willing to take on Naraku, that's for sure. So would I trust her, no…would I trust what she's saying, definitely.”
 
Ryen listened to the boy's conversation, oddly impressed by Bankotsu's assessment. Maybe there was more to this kid then just drugs and arrogance. Ryen returned his attention to the woman in front of him, who was trying to ignore the boy's banter. Ryen nodded very slowly, “so you thought you'd join in the rebellion now…why?”
 
Kagura shifted her weight then dropped back into the chair. “I haven't seen my sister Kanna in five years. She was eight when she was locked away…eight years old. I saw her a year later, before they put up that goddamned barrier. She was…she looked like a ghost. Her face lost all color, her normal wide brown eyes were black…she looked like…I don't know…something out of Chuckie. Tsubaki was using some type of medication on her…some type of hypnotic drug, I think. Whatever it was, it…it destroyed her.” Kagura rolled her eyes to rid them of the welling tears and wrapped her arms around herself. “When I was nine, my parents began to work for Diegosan. It was kind of a do or die situation. So they did and died for it anyway. Diegosan had them shot like dogs.” She scowled and offered an offhanded wince, “no offense.”
 
Ryen and InuYasha growled under their breath but said nothing.
 
Kagura swallowed hard and continued, “the day after they were killed, Naraku gloated about it in school. He was ten fuckin years old but gloated about his `daddy' killing my `bastard parents'. I attacked him on the playground; teachers had to pry me off of him but I got a number of good hits in on him. Well…'daddy' didn't appreciate it at all, so he planted evidence on my sister…my seven-year-old sister of all people, to make it seem as if she was the one to have killed them in their beds. Enter the good psychologist, Yamaoto Tsubaki. She quickly diagnosed Kanna as mentally unstable and threw her into that nut house where she destroyed her piece by piece.”
 
InuYasha shook his head and slowly stood, “you want me to honestly believe that someone was able to convince a court room that a seven year old girl was able to murder her parents. That's insane and honestly, I don't believe it for shit.” He crossed his arms and glanced at Bankotsu, who was less skeptical.
 
Kagura shrugged and stood from her desk and slowly began to pace the room, her hands clasp behind her back. “I understand how ludicrous it sounds, try to understand how I felt when I got the news. I was devastated and this time, I had no one to turn to. When I went to the police, they called my aunt and uncle to come get me; I didn't realize at that time that they were owned, I didn't understand the politics of scum. I would try to tell my aunt that it was his family, and she would tell me I was full of shit and lock me in the closet. No one believed that Kanna was innocent. Finally I decided that if no one would believe me, I'd force them to. I started to pull together demon's who would follow me…work my way through their ranks, so that one day I would be able to have an army to support me when I went after Naraku.”
 
InuYasha groaned and pushed a hand over his face, “are you really that stupid? What demon would take on Naraku?”
 
Bankotsu turned slowly to look at InuYasha then roll his eyes. “You…your brother…your uncle…your father…”he paused and lifted an eyebrow, “maybe it's just your family.”
 
Kagura spit back venomously, ignoring Bankotsu's claim. “Any who served under me, that's who.”
 
InuYasha pushed the chair back and held out his hands, glancing around the large nearly vacant room. “Well, Kagura, where are they? Where's your great army now? I don't see them!” he took a step closer to her, stopping by Ryen's side. “you want to know why they aren't here?”
 
Kagura narrowed her eyes and retorted, “I know…I fucking lost control of them the day your brother waltzed in and tried to take over. They saw me as weak for letting him near and…and I lost the command of the elites.”
 
Ryen shook his head and slammed his hands down on the desk, making all members in the room jump. “I'm having to many questions for this to be true. First off, if Naraku wanted you dead, you would be. There is no way that you would have survived this long. Look, bitch; don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining! If you want my help, tell the fucking truth!”
 
Kagura shook her head, imploring Ryen to listen. “I'm not lying! Check any records! You'll see records of the fight, you'll see right after that Kanna was suddenly convicted when originally the murder was deemed a break in gone wrong.” she ran a hand over her face and sighed, “it's not that Naraku wanted me dead, he wanted me to suffer for humiliating him on the playground.”
 
Ryen pressed on, “You want me to believe he carried a vendetta against you from what…fourth grade? Is that a fucking joke?”
Kagura rolled her eyes. “He had his chance to kill me through middle school if he felt like it, but he pressed on by trying to humiliate me and get back his pride. To bad the coward never had any. And he called himself a man!” her eyes grew into a blaze of anger as she clenched her fists. “Once we hit high school, I was to high in the Elite's for him to touch me.” hearing Bankotsu and InuYasha snicker, she snapped her head around, “look, say what shit you will about the gangs, being in the Elite's has saved my life. If your someone, it's harder to disappear.”
 
Ryen pinched the bridge of his nose and slowly shook his head; “tell that to my brother!” putting his hands on the desk, he sighed again. “Let's just…for kicks…say that this is all true. For kicks, mind you. Now…how do you plan on helping us?”
 
Kagura slowly crossed her arms then reached into the backpack she was carrying. Turning around, she wasn't the least bit surprised to see the guns in both Ryen and InuYasha's hands trained on her forehead. She held out a manila envelope and raised a slim eyebrow. “You might find this…interesting.” She slid it across the desk and sat back.
 
Ryen holstered his gun and took the folder. Glancing through it, his eyes widened some. “Are these…”
 
Kagura nodded, “schematic layouts of the hospital where they have Kanna and Rin. I want to get in and get my sister out, and you want to get Rin out. I'm sure we can come to an understanding.” The smile that donned her face was completely cynical. “Unless you are planning on leaving here there.”
 
Bankotsu was the first one to make a sound…he clapped; the others only gawked. Bankotsu threw his head back and laughed loudly then moved away from the door. “I think I'm gonna get myself a cell mate. Damn bitch, did you really think they would fall for some lame lines like that?” he glanced at Ryen. “If you fall for that really pathetic acting, the I swear I'm going to riot!”
 
Ryen narrowed his eyes. “You, shut your hole,” he glanced back at Kagura, “and you, I need you to understand something. I'm not going to fail Rin…Sesshoumaru is sure as hell not going to fail Rin. So we really don't need you. This structure plans help, but as for your ploy to try to get into us…”
Kagura shook her head, all games dropping from her eyes. She blinked slowly, the thin constraints of a teenage girl bred to be a perfect bitch, breaking. “Please…I need to get my sister out. I'm not in link with Naraku, if that's what your thinking! I want to see him suffer…I want him dead!”
 
Ryen rolled his eyes and looked away from the girl. “I supposed you would. But if we take down ikijigoku, then we will be having those who are already patients transferred to real places. It's not like if you go in there, you're going to get your sister back. You said it yourself how she changed after, what, a year? Imagine six.”
 
Kagura chewed on her lip then pulled out another folder. “The barrier…that purification barrier…is being presented by a new doctor. The man's name is Hakushin. He's apparently an ex Buddhist monk with a vengeance against Youkai. He came from Osaka”
 
Ryen creased his brow. “Then why the hell would he work for Naraku?”
 
InuYasha shrugged and sat back down at his desk. “Maybe…maybe he hasn't met Naraku. Maybe he thinks he works for Tsubaki in keeping us demons out of their sanctuary. If she was able to manipulate Rin, then I'm sure that she successfully has manipulated others.”
 
Bankotsu gawked at the boy, “do you know how hard it is to manipulate a monk? It's nearly impossible, Inu. Sorry, but I can't believe he wouldn't sense Naraku's presence around Tsubaki.”
 
Ryen nodded slowly, “well, if that's true, then at least Rin is safe for the moment. This guy should keep Naraku out…but I don't like it. Tsubaki is to close to her. But I think it's more…maybe…”
 
Kagura stomped her foot and growled, “look, maybe it will rain fucking money from the sky tomorrow. But until we fucking see it, we have to do something!”
 
InuYasha tipped his chair back and crossed his arms. a sudden thought hit him like a load of bricks, and if it was true, he was sure Ryen wasn't going to be able to hold him back. His voice deepened to a threatening tone, his eyes narrowed to slits and he growled. “Oi…Kagura. If you knew about Tsubaki…and you knew Rin was going to her…why didn't you say anything? If you knew she was evil…why not help?”
 
Kagura shifted her weight uneasily; she wanted to retreat from the approaching hanyou. She was nearly sure he would kill her after this. “I tried to warn that son of a bitch Sesshoumaru. I tried…but he wouldn't listen to me! He didn't want my help! I told him it was about…but he…”
 
Ryen stood up and stalked towards the girl, a newly ignited fury burning in his amber eyes. He shoved the girl against the wall and held her by his forearm pressing against her throat. “You…you knew, you knew how fucking dangerous she was and your pride stopped you from saving Rin's life? You mean we could have avoided this entire situation if you had just gotten off your fucking pedestal? Are you fucking kidding me?”
 
Kagura shrunk under the demon's fury and looked away. “I…I didn't think…”
 
Ryen spat back, “well, that's obvious.” He seemed as if he was going to strike her. After a dark growl, he pulled away and walked in a circle.
 
InuYasha stood up and kicked away his chair. “What else do you know bitch, that you aren't saying?”
 
Kagura rubbed her throat and slowly slunk her way back to her seat. “I know that there is no way for a demon to get in there. That Haukshin guy is so powerful that he would incinerate if a pure blooded Youkai tried to push through the barrier.”
 
InuYasha tapped his claws against his arm then sighed. “Well…what if I tried?”
 
All eyes shifted to InuYasha and a moment of unease passed amongst them. Bankotsu was the first to speak, “Err…InuYasha, maybe you didn't hear her. Take the barrier…mix your blood…and it makes InuYasha go puff.”
 
InuYasha reached through the bars and smacked his friend across the back of his head. “Baka! Let's think about this for two minutes, I'm half demon, right?”
 
Ryen sat back on his heels and slowly crossed his arms, as a look of disbelief shot across his face. “You're joking, right? You aren't really considering…”
 
InuYasha shrugged and folded his arms. “Can't try to hurt. I mean…I got human blood in my veins.”
 
Kagura scoffed and shot the hanyou a disgusted smirk but chose to keep her mouth shut.
 
Ryen glanced over his shoulder at the sorceress and cocked an eyebrow, “you got something to say?”
 
Kagura dragged her eyes away from the hanyou to stare at Ryen. She looked him up and down then scoffed again.
 
Ryen tilted his head to his right shoulder and stared at the girl then chuckled dryly. “I suggest you keep your eyes to yourself before I gouge them out with the blunt end of my sword. If you got a problem with my family then you have a problem with me…and I really, really, don't think you want a problem with me? Do you?” he strode across the room and dropped to a crouch in front of the girl. He reached up and cupped Kagura's chin and lifted her face to meet his glower. “I asked you a question.”
 
Kagura stared at the Youkai in disbelief laced with fear. She swallowed hard and looked away.
 
Ryen jerked her chin back to look at him then pointed to InuYasha, turning her head to stare at the smirking hanyou. “Answer my question!”
 
Kagura blinked twice then sighed. In a voice as quiet as she could manage, she ground out, “no…”
 
Ryen lifted her face as she tried to look away with the cluck of his tongue. “Not yet, Kagura. No…what?”
 
Kagura looked as if she were about to unleash an onslaught of curses at the demon before she reconsidered her options. With a defeated sigh, she lowered her eyes. “I don't want any problem; with you…or him.”
 
Ryen reached up, as if to a child, and patted her head. “That-a girl. Now play nice and apologize for being a snide bitch.”
 
Her mouth dropped open as she yanked her head away from the Youkai's hands. With a growl, she pushed her chair back and pointed a long polished nail at the demon. “The hell I will! I am sick of your shit, Ryen! You think yourself high and mighty and expect us all to bend to your whims!!”
 
Ryen reached forward and wrapped his hand around Kagura's throat. Yanking the Youkai forward, he placed his mouth next to her ear. “I think…and maybe this is just me…that you aren't in the position to chose your battles. You will submit to answer my questions and you will treat everyone in this precinct with respect. And on a side note, though InuYasha may be hanyou, he is my nephew and his blood is that of a Taisho. If I hear you bash him or my family name, I will not be held responsible for my actions. Am I understood?”
 
Kagura swallowed hard and nodded stupidly.
 
Ryen tossed her backwards and glanced at his nephew. “Throw her in with your buddy, we got work to do and I'm not wasting my time on this self righteous bitch. After that I want you to start researching this Hakushin guy.”
 
InuYasha smirked sadistically as he stalked towards Kagura. “My pleasure!”
 
Ryen turned from the group and walked back to check on Kagome, knowing full well that no one this night would be getting rest.
 
~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*
 
 
Rin felt as if someone had jabbed her in the chest with a rusted Spork. It was as if all of her nerves were exploding, one by one. She opened her eyes, which blurred under the dull fluorescent light and tried to sit up in her bed. She howled in pain as she nearly ripped the long IV out of her arm with the stretch then quickly recoiled to stare at the tiny needle. Her heart raced as she took in her surrounds and as the days incidents played over and over in her mind. She was on a bed in a stuffy room that had a window in the door and very dull yellow wallpaper on the walls. There was a small off-white couch in the corner of the room and not a single window. She continued glancing around; her eyes came to rest on a tiny pair of opaque white pupils that were staring at her from the dark depths of a corner of the ill lit room. Rin blinked twice then swallowed hard, suddenly finding it hard to get a voice. She judged the distance to the door then sadly recognized the fact that she would need to pull the needle out of her arm to get there. `God's how I hate needles. Damnit…where the hell am I?' Rin blinked again, the world slowly beginning to come into focus. She didn't really fear the person who was in the room with her; it was more of a brimming curiosity that overtook her brain. Then again, she was also pumped full of morphine, she remembered. Deciding against pulling out the needle and running, she chose the alternate route. “Who…whose there?”
 
A small girl in a simple white hospital robe emerged from the shadows, a scalpel in one hand and a blank stare on her face. Rin opened her mouth to scream upon seeing the weapon and the girl smashed fingers over her lips, indicating for Rin not to say a word. The girl slowly put down the tool on a counter and walked towards Rin. It was only when she was under the barely lit bulbs that Rin noticed that for one, she too had white hair, but also that her eyes were nearly obsidian and so…void. It was a feeling of falling that accompanied staring into her eyes for to long, a sense of desperation, of anxiety. It was like staring into a dark abyss, trying to guess just what really went bump in the night. Terrified, Rin looked away.
 
When the girl spoke, it brought Rin back again only to gawk at her. Her voice was monotone, much like Sesshoumaru, but so soft that Rin had to strain to hear it. “You can not let anyone know you are awake.”
Rin glanced wildly around the room before shrugging and holding up one hand, “who will know?”
 
The girl merely looked towards the door. “No matter what they do…you must not be afraid, and you must not move. If they know…they will hook you back up.”
Rin raised an eyebrow then turned slowly to look at the side of her bed. A bag hung just above her on a hook, the words illegible to the confused girl. She followed the tub that she was shocked to find connected into her IV. Two senses swept over her like a hurricane, one was relief and the other a sudden found anxiety for the truth. “What is that?”
 
The girl's face didn't change as she turned to stare at Rin. “I do not know.”
Rin studied the girl for a moment the sighed again. “Where am I?”
 
The girl turned away and picked back up the scalpel. “You are in Tsubaki's hell.”
 
Rin suddenly found herself overwhelmed by the images of everything that had happened: Tsubaki threatening her, threatening Sesshoumaru, Tsubaki injecting her with something and then darkness. It was that darkness, Rin realized with no limit on her amount of horror that she was afraid of. She didn't want to fall back into it again; she couldn't fall back into it. She knew that the next time she saw that dismal void; she would never come back from it. Rin's mouth dropped open as she glanced apprehensively towards the tool in the girl's hand. “What is that for?” she looked up to the bag and pointed at it, “What kind of medicine is in it?” No answer came to her question. Instead, the girl just about melted into the darkness, leaving Rin in the solitude of the prison. Rin glanced back to the IV and followed the line with her eyes. Sure enough, right at the bottom of the line that hung right at the side of her bed, there was a small incision in the tubing, where liquid was very slowly draining into a small cup. Nothing was reaching her veins. With only a few drops released an hour, as Rin came to find out, the amount gathered in the cup was hardly substantial, but she feared what it would have done to her heart if it was reaching it's target.
 
Suddenly, Tsubaki's words washed over her. “So I've come to hook my patients up on morphine drips that keep their muscles numb and once a week, give them their dose of the drug. It keeps them in hibernation, you could say.”
 
`She must have cut the morphine, which was the active ingredient to keeping me asleep. Now, Tsubaki's drugs are ineffective. That's a plus…I think…I hope…' Rin swallowed hard, realizing what the girl was trying to tell her. If the doctors thought her unconscious, then she would be in no danger. Did that mean that if she were awake, she would be? Rin swallowed hard as she lay back onto the pillow. `So…is this it? Am I…am I really in a mental institution? Is this the grand plan…or is this what was bound to happen?' she had to keep telling herself it was Tsubaki and Naraku's plot, not her own doing. She wasn't insane…she wasn't. It was Tsubaki, she made her this way. Still, tears found their way into her eyes.
 
Somewhere inside of her, a voice called out, `you always knew you would end here…why fight it? Accept and embrace your mental demise!'
 
Rin felt the prick of tears stinging the corners of her eyes as she tried to calm herself. `Sesshoumaru will come for me. I…I don't belong here! I don't…I don't belong here!'
 
A voice called out again, this time from the corner of her room, “None of us do…but we are here anyway.”
 
Rin snapped her head to stare into the corner, only to find herself face to face with the girl again. “Jeez! Can you not do that please?”
 
The girl didn't blink…she didn't smile…she just…stared. “What is your name?”
 
Rin looked over the girl, glancing into her hands to see if she was still toting the scalpel. Pleased that she wasn't, Rin nodded slowly, “I...I'm Rin.”
 
The girl slowly nodded. “I am Kanna.”
 
Rin narrowed her eyes and looked to the side, her brain churning through names. Suddenly she gasped and her eyes widened. “You…you're Kagura's sister, ne? I remember…hearing about you…from Naraku.”
 
The girl's eyes widened slightly, if at all possible from the eerie look that donned her pale face, and she shook her head swiftly. “Don't say his name…do not say his name. Speak not of the devil, or he may come. Do not…speak…” the girl seemed to fall into a near trance as she slowly began to sway forward and back. “He's not here…he's…”
 
Rin snapped her fingers twice in front of the girl and she stopped abruptly. Rin felt her eyebrows fuse in absolute confusion but she made a face and brushed it off. “Kanna…how do I get out of here?”
 
The girl lifted her creepy eyes and blinked slowly, “you do not. You are here…with us…”
 
Rin glanced around Kanna and then back at the girl. “With who?”
 
Kanna looked to her hands then to the girl in the bed. “The others.”
 
Rin felt like smacking the child but reframed. “What…others?”
 
Kanna glanced around her again then back at Rin. “Can you not see them?”
 
Rin felt her skin crawl at the look the girl was giving her. Moving herself away from the girl into the corner of her bed, she dared to ask, “See who…and I swear to all that is mighty; if you say you see dead people, I'm going to scream!”
 
Kanna paused, as if to determine if Rin was indeed joking then shook her head slowly. “They are not dead…just…bodiless. Their souls have been set out of their bodies by Tsubaki's spells. They remain immobile…”
 
Rin hit her hand on the metal rail and looked about the room, “Check please! I'm so out of here!” she went to work pulling at the IV in her hand until a smaller hand clamped down on top of hers. Rin slowly looked up to find Kanna not more then two inches from her face.
 
“Do not be afraid. They are calling you.”
 
Rin's eyes widened as she stammered, “uhh…tell them to leave a message and when I die, I'll get back to them!” she shoved off Kanna's hand and moved herself away from the girl. “Look, it's swell, really, talking to someone who isn't a fan of Na…err…his. But…I'm not into the whole ghost psychic thing, nor do I want to be. So…I'm just gonna cash out and get the hell out of…”
 
Kanna turned her head slowly to let her gaze linger at the door, “they come. Do not move.”
 
Rin gaped for a moment and stuttered, “the ghosts?”
 
Kanna turned back to Rin and blinked. “No…the doctors.” Kanna moved two steps back into the dark corners of the room and was once again gone.
 
Rin blinked and then lay backwards, closing her eyes as lightly as she could, and tried to make herself comfortable.
 
The door to her room squeaked open and let in a barrage of light. Two doctors dressed in lab coats entered, and walked to Rin's bed. Rin bit down her whimper as the first doctor jostled her arm then checked her readings. She let out a small puff of air, the closest thing she could to screaming, when she felt something jab her in her arm. Slender, sharp, metallic…definitely a needle.
 
A male voice accompanied the jab from a distance across the room; Rin would be to guess he was at the door. “Dr. Yamaoto…are you sure that is wise to inject her so soon after her first dosage? Could that not cause cardiac arrest?”
 
Tsubaki's voice boomed from next to her, and Rin used every ounce of self-restraint to keep from ripping the whore's tongue from her mouth. “Well…if she dies, she dies. Right now, we have everything we need.”
The male doctor seemed slightly put off by the answer. “And what did we need?”
 
Tsubaki laughed menacingly. “A letter proving Rin to be here, unconscious, in the hospital. She cannot function as a member of society this way, let alone make an accurate claim against Naraku. He'll walk free by tonight, if not sooner.”
 
The man seemed even angrier. “Why are we helping that demon?”
 
Tsubaki wrote him off. “Because that demon is paying our salary.”
 
The man must have blocked the exit to the room, because Tsubaki seemed to grunt as two loud footsteps were heard. “Hakushin, what are you doing? Let me by, I have work to do.”
 
The man, Hakushin, Rin learned his name to be, stood his ground. “I will not aid in a demon's escape from prison. I would rid the world of demons, one by one, if I could, but since I cannot, my barrier stands. I work for no demon! And I will not allow him onto this premises.”
 
Tsubaki must have threatened him with the needle because Rin heard him shout and move quickly. “You fool! You will do as I say! You're godly powers can't stand up to my magic! You will do as I say!”
 
Rin could just about tell how dark the priests face must have turned. The tension in the air suddenly became intense, threatening to snap at any given moment. Rin cringed as the priest shot back, “no demon will pass.”
 
Tsubaki answered just as quickly, “We'll see. If you can keep Taisho out until six o'clock, Naraku will be free…as will you.”
 
Rin's eyes shot open as the serum that Tsubaki had injected her with suddenly overwhelmed her. Glad that Tsubaki's back was turned; Rin dug her nails into her palms, tears digging their way out from her eyes. The pain was excruciating, but this time, there was no sleep afterwards. It was as if someone was trying to push a brick through her veins. `God help me if this is what child birth feels like…cause Sesshoumaru will be hatching children if it is!' Rin closed her eyes, her nails digging deeper as Tsubaki turned back around to examine Rin. She heard the doctor's pen glide a piece of parchment then she turned and walked out of the room, the priest following in suit. As soon as the door was closed, Rin sat up and grabbed the edge of the bed and howled. The pain was horrid and for a moment, she considered actually plugging up the hole in the morphine tube so she could get some type of release from pain. Yet she knew what awaited her in the dark.
 
Rin began to work on some meditative breathing, trying to displace her throbbing. The pain lessened over a few minutes, then dulled to be nothing at all after her blood diluted it. With a deep breath, Rin closed her eyes and gave into the lure of sleep, exhausted from the day and the effects of the drug. There was no successive force of morphine in her blood; she would not stay under long. She needed the rest, she realized as her eyes just short of closed themselves. As she began to doze, her eyes caught sight of the clock. `9am, I wonder what Sesshoumaru is doing,' was Rin's last thought before sleep claimed her.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~
 
 
InuYasha leaned against the doorway of the computer room, a small smile gracing his lips. Kagome was cradling her head in her arms; sound asleep on the desk next to the computer. InuYasha used the doorway as a crutch and pushed himself to his feet. He moved lethargically into the room and then put both hands on the back of Kagome's chair. Looking down at the girl, he felt his mind slowly travel, the smile diminishing as the dark thoughts crossed his mind. `What would I do if it had been Kagome they took? What would I do to get her back? Who wouldn't I kill?' he brushed his knuckles over her cheek and smiled when she moaned his name lightly. `I can't imagine being in Sesshoumaru's position right now. Thank god he's asleep or else I think he'd have killed at least three of us by now.' he sighed and reached down. Wrapping an arm around Kagome's shoulders and the other under her knees, he used his remaining strength to haul her out of the chair and carry her up the stairs to where there was cots set up for the normal exhausted officers. InuYasha laid back then pulled Kagome onto his chest, placing her head in the nook of his neck. He held her tighter, and kissed the top of her head before placing his cheek against it, fighting back tears the entire time. He kissed her head again and shook his head, his lips just above the crown of her forehead. They were fighting a losing battle and victims were starting to be claimed; first Hiten, then Rin…who was to go next? Who would be the one to be burned next? The thought of losing the girl in his arms, the girl who he would be more then willing to rip his heart out of his chest for, sent a tear streaming down his cheek. “What would I do if I lost you, Koi? I…I think I would die.”
 
~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~~*~**~
 
Downstairs, Ryen ran a hand over his face. He stared at the profile InuYasha had found on this Hakushin guy and to say it was discouraging was an understatement. The man was a mystery, and yet a name that still struck fear into demon's hearts. The monk had taken on many demons in his time, purifying all those who got in his way. He took no mercy on a single demon, and there was an actual bounty, Ryen had found out, on this man's head. Yet his holy powers were unmatchable. Humans revered him; demons feared him and Ryen wanted him dead. To the fact that this man dared to call himself holy after slaughtering countless helpless demons pissed him off. Yet if he truly was the one holding the barrier over Naraku's fortress, Ryen was sure that they were fucked. Running his hands over his face again.
 
`We…we have to win this. We can't doubt that we won't…but…' Ryen pounded his fist onto the desk, startling the two cellmates out of their perturbed slumber. He stood up from his desk, pushing his chair back to a point where it tumbled backwards and walked out the main door. Once outside he paced and ran his hands over his face again. With a grunt, he pulled out his cell phone. He hit a speed dial button and waited for a moment. “Hey…” all gruffness that normally filled his voice was gone. In its place was the voice of a worn tired man, seeking the reassurance that he needed to push the others. “No, everything is okay…I guess.” He sighed and shook his head. “Kagome's okay, don't worry. I'm just…what? …No he's fine to. …Yeah, it's Rin. No, I don't want to talk about it. I need…I need to know what to do…I don't know how to lead these kids anymore. It's serious now…really serious. They know what's at stake and it's taking its toll.” He shook his head and sighed. “I just…I needed to hear your voice.” Ryen lowered his head, his silver hair falling over his shoulders as he slowly closed his eyes. “ …Yeah, me too, me too…”
 
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~
 
 
Kagome woke up, her eyes barely adjusting to the dim light before she could take in her position. She was lying on InuYasha's chest, her head buried in a curtain of silver hair. She sighed loudly and lifted her face to look around. The hanyou seemed to be in a deep sleep, his mouth was slightly open and he was snoring. Kagome wondered for a moment how she had managed to sleep through it. Pulling herself from his grasp, she slid from the room. Pausing in the doorway, she studied InuYasha's face and sighed patiently. “I'm sorry baby…but this is something I have to do. It's my fault this has happened…she was protecting me…so it's my turn. I know you won't understand…but…maybe…maybe you will one day.” She turned and ran down the steps and paused at the jail cell. She glanced around then banged on the door. “Wake up!”
 
Bankotsu jumped up, hit his head on the bars above the bottom bunk he was sleeping on and fell off the bed. Glowering up from the floor, he narrowed his eyes. “What do you want, wench? What's with the noise? First that bastard and now you! Can't a man get some damn rest?”
 
Kagome beckoned for him to come closer to her. Grabbing the front of his shirt when he got close enough, Kagome pulled him against the bars. “Tell me right now that you seriously mean to help InuYasha…that you really are his best friend and are willing to risk your life to get back in his good graces. And I'm serious, I want you to look me in the eye and tell me the truth.”
 
All anger and joking washed away from Bankotsu's face as he stared at the girl through the bars. “I honestly want to help. Yash is my only family left. I…I want to make amends, and I swear I will swallow a sword before I betray him.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes. “Good, because you will swallow a sword if you do betray him, and if he doesn't do it, Ryen will. So you better not screw up.”
Bankotsu nodded gravely. “I won't.”
 
Kagome nodded and grabbed the keys from Ryen's desk. She opened the cell and let out Bankotsu before locking it again. Kagura sat up and stared at the pair then huffed, “what about me? I want to help as well…”
 
Kagome met her glare with one that could freeze over hell. “You want to help? You keep your mouth shut, that's how you can help.” she turned and stared at Bankotsu. “We're going to ikijigoku to visit Rin.”
 
Bankotsu paused mid step and glanced wildly at the clock. His eyes widened as he turned back to Kagome. “I…I don't think that's wise. InuYasha and the others…they can't reach you in there. If something goes wrong, we're on our own.”
 
Kagome was already breaking out her cell phone. She glanced at the time and cringed. It was already four thirty pm. ` Did I really sleep that long?' Hearing Bankotsu's question, she turned and raised an eyebrow. “Are you afraid, Bankotsu? Do you fear Naraku?” She had learned that prodding InuYasha, antagonizing his pride, was the best way to get him to work and she was beginning to see it was the same for Bankotsu.
 
Bankotsu clenched his fist as his face darkened. “No, not in the least. I know though that inside, you won't be happy with what you see.”
 
Kagome took a step closer to the human. Her eyes menacing as the power of her soul just about sparked like lightning above her head. “And, pray tell, how do you know? Have you been inside before?”
 
Bankotsu shook his head and dropped his gaze. “I…I had to visit one of my friends, when he was put away in one of those places back in Kyushu. It's horrifying…people screaming, crying…the sound of people hurting themselves…hurting others. I don't think you could stomach it, Princess.”
Kagome reached out and slapped Bankotsu clean across his right cheek. “First off, never call me Princess. Second, I was inside of there before and it was nothing like what you described!”
 
Bankotsu turned his head with the blow and he growled low. “Look, bitch, let's get this straight. I said I would help you to help me get in InuYasha's good graces. But if you think for one fucking minute that means that I'll let you abuse me, you got another thing coming. Unlike my counterpart, I'm not afraid to hit back.”
Kagome gawked for a moment then huffed and stormed past the human. “Come on, we got work to do.”
Bankotsu shook his head and sighed before falling into step behind Kagome. Sneaking past Ryen was easy; the demon was sitting on a bench across the way, his head in his hands and a cell phone cradled against his ear. It seemed as if he were asleep, but Kagome knew better. She slid onto the motorcycle and started the engine. She stared at the bike apprehensively and chewed on her lip before pushing a helmet over her head. “I…I'll get us there…just hold on.”
 
Bankotsu put a hand on her shoulder and grinned when she looked up at him. “Look, honey, I can tell you've never driven a crotch rocket at any point in your life. Move back and let me drive.”
 
Kagome seemed to hesitate, possibilities of pros and cons swimming through her eyes. Eventually she nodded and stood up. “Fine…”
 
Kagome seemed like she wanted to add some type of dominate phrase to the end, something asserting her ownership over the operation. Bankotsu slid on the cycle in front of her and grabbed her hands behind him. Placing them around his waist with an arrogant grin, he mused, “don't worry, bitch, you're still in charge. I'll be your fucking chauffer.”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes before deciding to let it go. She held onto the human's waist, at ill ease with the intimate position that they were pressed together in, and closed her eyes. “Just…get us there in one piece.”
 
Bankotsu nodded sternly. “So…whose our backup?”
 
Kagome stuck out her chin and pointed past Bankotsu. “Just…drive.”
 
By time Ryen and InuYasha registered that both parties weren't in the prescient, an hour had passed. Then hell began to rise.
 
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
 
Kagome pushed through the third set of doors to ikijigoku, her entourage following behind her with equally set looks of determination etched across their faces. The startled receptionist didn't stand a chance. Kagome slammed both hands down on the gray marble desk and leaned over so her face was about a foot from the secretaries. “We're here to see Rin Takisho.”
 
The secretary gulped and looked over all four party members stern faces. With a meek yelp, she shrunk back into her seat under the hostility that radiated from the four. They meant business. She typed in a few lines and then lifted her eyes slowly to meet the burning brown ones. “I'm…I'm sorry…I…it…sa...says…that, that, that…”
 
Bankotsu appeared at Kagome's side and slammed his hand on the marble, “fuck what it says. We're here to see her, damnit! And you really can't stop us!”
 
 
Kagome held out a hand to silence Bankotsu collectively, then turned the heat back to the women behind the desk. “Again, I say, we are here to see Rin Takhiso. What room is she in?”
 
The secretary gulped and reached to hit a button under her desk. “I'm sorry…I can't give out that information.”
 
Bankotsu was by her side before she could move. His hand gently covered hers as he clicked his tongue. “I…wouldn't do that if I were you.”
 
Another human male appeared on the other side and seemed nearly more determined then the other girl and yet somehow he seemed …nicer. The smile on his face though was a mask for the brewing disgust that lingered just below the surface. Miroku smiled sweetly at the girl and put a hand on her shoulder, “you really don't want to alert your bosses about this. Think about how it would look. Because we are going to walk through there, and then if they think you just…let us by…I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated.”
The girl stuttered again, like a baby trying to walk. “I…I really…”
 
Bankotsu looked over her shoulder then glanced up at Kagome and Sango. “Room 253, second level. It says…isolation B.”
 
Kagome turned her attention back to the girl. “What does that mean, isolation B?”
 
The girl swallowed hard and shook her head, “I…”
 
Miroku patted her shoulder slowly; his normally benevolent violet eyes were now hardened to stone. His voice demanded obedience. “Honey, I would really suggest you don't lie right now…”
 
The girl looked between the two boys, as if choosing the worse of two fates then appealed to Miroku. “It…it means that she tried to kill herself.”
Kagome winced as Sango pushed past her and made her presence known. Slamming both hands onto the marble, she sent a crack up the one half of the desk. “That is the biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard! You take it back!”
 
The girl sunk back further from the inquisition and looked as if she was going to cry. “I'm sorry…I'm so sorry…but it's true. And she can't…”
 
Kagome held out a paper and allowed the girl to read it. “It's your visiting policy; I found it online. It's funny the things you can find online, ne?” she raised an eyebrow with no humor then pushed past her. “It states that the family of the patient has all rights to visit…”
 
The secretary held up a hand and stuck out her bottom lip. “I…that is…It can be…”
 
Bankotsu nearly hollered, “All rights to visit, get it bitch. That means we're all going in there and we're going to see Rin.”
The secretary stared at her computer screen and gulped again. “But…the doctor says…”
Miroku reached out and shut off the monitor as Bankotsu ripped out the tower of the computer. “Now it says nothing.”
 
Bankotsu grabbed the keyboard and wrapped the cord around the girl, tying her to the chair. “Now you sit here, like a good little girl…and don't say a word.”
 
The secretary's eyes widened as she opened her mouth to scream. Miroku was one step ahead and shoved a wad of tissues into her mouth that he pulled from the box on the desk. Kagome grabbed Sango's hand and glanced at the boys. “They will be here soon, as soon as they realize we're in here. You two stay together, find this Hakushin guy and get him to shut off the barrier, one way or another. I don't care how…” she looked at Sango then nodded. The girl's then rushed through the doors and through the barrier leaving the males alone.
 
Miroku sighed and glanced at Bankotsu. “Shall we get started?”
 
Bankotsu nodded and the boys walked towards the door and paused. They both seemed slightly perturbed as they touched the doors as if expecting to be electrified. “Err…is it just me…or does this seem…”
 
Miroku hung his head and scratched his neck, “barrier is strong on you two, huh?”
 
Bankotsu shifted his weight on his feet. “It bothering you as well?”
 
Miroku met his stare and they both added in unison, “let's get this guy.”
Pushing through the door, the boys were met by three solid bodies. Guards. The guards were also armed. Miroku grabbed the first gun from the guard, obviously shocking the hell out of him. Miroku jammed the barrel of the gun into the guard's jaw, then flipped the pistol in his hand and smacked him across the face with it. the guard went down and Miroku gave him one swift kick to the head to make sure he stayed that way.
 
Bankotsu had grabbed the first gun from the one guard and shot the other using the guards trigger finger. Bankotsu then pulled the gun from the guard and round-housed him across the face. As the guard flew backwards, Bankotsu unloaded two bullets into the guard's head, ending his life abruptly. Turning to the other guard, which of whom he managed to shoot in his armored chest, he grabbed him by his collar and pulled him close. “Now I know you aren't bleeding from that wound, but you better bet your friend is. You will bleed, though, if I put a bullet between your eyes. So why don't we cut to the chase and you tell me where I can find this Hakushin guy.”
 
The guard's eyes flickered to that of his friend then back at the enraged human. “Bastard…I won't tell you anything!”
 
Bankotsu glanced at Miroku who seemed suddenly uncomfortable staring at the body, then back at the guard. Bankotsu smiled maliciously then rammed the handle of the gun into the man's mouth, cracking his front teeth in half and splitting open his lip. Blood poured from the wound on the solider but he didn't make a sound. Bankotsu stood up from where he was crouching and then kicked the man in the jaw with his steel-toed boot. The man went sprawling backwards with a sickening snapping of bone. Bankotsu casually strolled to his side and shoved his hands into his pockets. With a sheepish grin, he taunted, “opps. Sorry…sometimes…sometimes my body just tends to…lash out...” he kicked the guard again in the stomach, forcing him to roll onto his side. “See…just…there it goes again.”
 
Miroku watched silently from the side. Though he would, on any good day, completely disagree with this form of information gathering but…this was about Rin, and it was her life in the balance. With a grunt, he ran a hand over his neck and grimaced. Seeing the near sadistic glint in Bankotsu's eyes, Miroku had to fight with the urge to cower away from the insane boy. His mouth went dry as Bankotsu continued to pummel the human who had no time to voice his opinion. Miroku finally dragged himself to Bankotsu's side and put a hand carefully on his shoulder. “Bank…”
 
The human turned, his eyes flashing with such a predatorily glint that for a minute, Miroku was sure he was about to get punched in the jaw. Miroku flinched and that snapped Bankotsu back to reality. He blinked twice then stepped to the side.
 
Miroku nodded slowly, never truly taking his eyes off Bankotsu and crouched by the guard's side. “Look, my friend would probably kill you if I let him…probably would enjoy it as well. But…I don't want to see any more life shed at the name of Naraku. I'm asking you once, where do we find Hakushin and will he be armed?”
 
The guard spit a bloody tooth at Miroku and growled, “I'll never talk. Long live Naraku!”
 
Miroku stood up slowly as Bankotsu slowly cracked his knuckles. “Do you realize what you're going to do to yourself?”
 
The guard laughed hollowly, “fuck if I care about myself; do you know what Naraku is going to do to all of you once he is free?”
 
Bankotsu leveled a gun with man's head and shrugged, “to bad you'll never see it.” With the pulling of the trigger, the man's head snapped back, a perfectly symmetrical circle appeared in the man's forehead, right between his eyes.
 
A whimper echoed from behind the two as the man that Miroku had handled came to wake. He glanced at the two bodies of his comrades and nearly pissed himself with fear. Bankotsu grinned like the Cheshire cat and stalked towards the human. The man quickly back peddled across the floor, waving a hand in front of his face.
 
“Bankotsu, wait!”
 
Miroku jogged past the boy and moved in front of the man. Crouching down, he offered the man a small frown. “I know you don't want to end up like your friends. Just tell us where to find Hakushin and we'll let you live.”
 
The man nodded quickly, staring at the shadow cast upon the floor by the tyrannical Bankotsu.
 
~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~
 
Rin opened an eye as she groggily came around. Instantly there was a cup to her lips. “Drink…you are dehydrated.”
 
Rin didn't second-guess the eerie voice and eagerly drank from the cup. Kanna was right, she was very dehydrated, and as the cool water graced her throat, she could just about sigh in happiness. “Thank you…”
 
Kanna nodded then looked around. “Tsubaki upped your dosage, it is why you slept so late. Why?”
 
Rin shrugged then yawned. “I'm guessing that it has to do with Na…err…his release. They said that if I can't testify, he'll be released tonight.” Stealing a glimpse at the clock, Rin frowned. “In about an hour, to be exact, or so they say. I can't see the country letting him go, it just doesn't make sense.”
 
Kanna simply blinked.
 
Rin waited for a moment then sighed, “I guess you don't talk that much, huh?”
 
Again silence.
 
Rin ran a hand through her stringy hair and groaned. “I want a shower…gods I want to take a shower.”
 
Kanna decided to comment. “You cannot…because then they…”
 
Rin rolled her eyes. “I know…I know. I can't because then they'll know I'm awake. I wouldn't do it anyway, I was just saying…”
 
Kanna blinked. “Why?”
 
Rin sighed louder and regarded the girl. “I have a question. Why don't they realize that you are walking around? Why don't they come after you?”
 
Kanna shook her head slowly, “they care not about me. I was one of Tsubaki's original test subjects with the new sleep drug. She didn't continue the doses, or have right amount. They say that I am asleep, in some parts of my mind, but awake in others.”
 
Rin nodded and smirked, “explains your personality.”
 
Kanna blinked.
 
Rin sighed and looked about the room. “Well…I guess now we wait.”
 
Kanna turned to look at Rin, “for what?”
 
Rin shrugged and lay back, “the cavalry, I guess. I just hope they get here…soon.”
 
Kanna blinked then faded into the dark.
 
Rin shivered and closed her eyes. `Creepy little girl…man, I feel bad for her but damn!' she shivered again and stared around the room.
 
The door to the room jostled and Rin fell limp, praying that it wasn't Tsubaki for another injection. Rin was nearly sure that if it were another injection, she wouldn't be able to hold her tongue.
 
The door opened swiftly and two sets of footsteps padded in before the door was closed, rather hard behind them. One raced to her side of the bed while the other lingered in the doorway. Rin felt two fingers be placed against her neck then a sigh. A voice that brought tears to her eyes echoed in the room. “She's alive, Sango!”
 
Sango glanced back at Kagome and smiled warmly. “Good…now how are we gonna get her out of here?”
 
Kagome chewed on her lip as she glanced at Rin then at the door. “Err…I'm not sure.”
 
Sango lowered the set of keys she had in her hand and locked the door before moving to Rin's side. “Is she awake?”
 
Never had the urge to open her eyes and cry seem so appealing. Yet Kanna's warning raged in her head. If Tsubaki found the girl's, she could only guess that they had snuck in, then it would be easier to help them escape if she had the position of surprise. Besides, if she reveled herself to the girls, she would probably have to answer to questions she didn't want to.
 
Sango pulled at Rin's wrist and moved the hospital bracelets and gasped. She thought it to be a sick fantasy made up by someone's decrepit mind. This was Rin…Rin wasn't suicidal. Girls who tried to kill themselves were only crying out for help…they never meant it and their situations were never that bad. They never had to live through what Rin lived through. Rin was a fighter; she would never try to take her life. She would sit down and try to talk about it. With a choked sob, Sango turned to her friend. “Kagome…they…they weren't lying. She…” Sango pointed to the abrasions on Rin's wrists and tears began to stream anew down the slayers face.
 
Inwardly, Rin cringed. There would be no living with them after this. And hell be damned if Sesshoumaru ever found out. Suddenly, every thing seemed in perspective…and it wasn't a pretty picture.
 
Kagome glanced over Sango's shoulder at the wound and grimaced. “I don't believe it…” she joined her friend in silent tears as she realized just what Tsubaki had said held weight. And if that held weight…was it possible that Rin had offered herself as a substitute to save Kagome the pain of having to deal with Naraku. If that were true…god save her soul; Kagome would rip Naraku's beating heart from his body. How dare he use people like that!
 
Sango wrapped her arm around her friend's shoulders as the two girls stared down at their `catatonic' friend.
 
Kagome pulled up a chair and swiped some of the hair from Rin's face away. “Gods, Rin…why didn't you come to me? Why didn't you tell me?” tears began to stream from Kagome's eyes as she slowly remembered the past month and Tsubaki's harsh words. “I never wanted…no… I never wanted this to happen. I would have taken your place in an instinct. Why…why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you ever tell me? Damnit Rin, I would never of asked, never! Damnit Rin!” bowing her head, Kagome rest her forehead against Rin's. “You're like my sister, Rin…and you can't leave me! Please…I need you, Sango needs you…Sesshoumaru needs you! He's destroying himself over this Rin; he can't live without you by his side. He loves you so much! You need to come back to us! Please…please come back, Rin! You must fight whatever Tsubaki has put in your blood…fight whatever demons Naraku burned into your mind! I need you Rin; we all need you!” The reality of the situation ran through Kagome's mind like a sonic wave. Naraku had done all of this just to get to Kagome…he had destroyed countless lives because of her. Kagome had never so much wanted to take her nails to her face before, to destroy the beauty and maybe it would destroy the want. Would he leave them all alone after that? She highly doubted it.
 
Suddenly, putting up with Naraku's bullshit, putting up with the dreams, putting with it all seemed like child's play to holding in the tears that threatened to drip down her face. Rin swallowed hard and kept her tongue pressed against the roof of her mouth and screwed her eyes shut to stop the welling emotion.
 
Sango touched Kagome's shoulder and shook her head swiftly, as if reading her friends thoughts. “We have to do something…make some decision. What are we going to do, Kagome? Do we stay and fight whatever comes in here or do we get her out? Do we wait for Bankotsu and Miroku or do we go now? How do we do this? How do we save her?” she choked on a sob and put a hand to her mouth, as if trying to keep her stomach from rolling over. “How do we save her, Kagome?”
 
Kagome pulled away from Sango and glanced around the room, trying to make a decision. She could hear the frantic tone of her friend's voice, and it was mirrored by her soul. Yes, they had successfully bullied their way into the hospital…and were now officially stuck in it. Kagome realized with no certain amount of dread that separating from the guys was the worst move they could have done and was nearly positive that if InuYasha ever got wind of this…or if she lived to see him again, that he would seriously have it out with her over it. Making fast decisions, Kagome became resolute. “We need to get her out of here. There is no other way. Get that IV out of her and I'll carry her.”
 
The door's lock slowly turned and both girls blanched. A black head of hair slipped through the crack in the door and glanced about the room. The aqua eyes that shined back at the two were like beacons of god. They weren't alone anymore. Bankotsu narrowed his eyes then hissed, “Come on, we got the priest and we're outside. Miroku is watching him. Everyone is in place, we just got to get this bastard to drop the spell, and then we're home free.”
 
Kagome glanced at Sango then nodded. Another decision. “Go…I'll get Rin ready to go.”
 
Sango hesitated and chewed on her lip. “I…I don't want to leave you alone.”
 
Bankotsu nodded slowly, “I think the bitch has a point. You shouldn't be alone in here.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath then looked back at Rin's body. “No…I'll be okay. Miroku is going to need help. I'll get her ready, and as soon as the spell is dropped, get Sesshoumaru in here. He can carry her out.”
 
Sango glanced at Bankotsu, “is Sesshoumaru here?”
 
Bankotsu shrugged, “not that I've seen…at least not yet.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened as his words slammed into her. “Wait…you mean you two just happened to apprehend the guy who was emitting the barrier without any trouble? And Miroku's with him by himself?” By the end of the sentence, she was near hysterical.
 
Bankotsu and Sango looked at each other before the names began. Bankotsu let loose a slew of colorful curses and took to the door, Sango screaming after him.
 
Sango was on his heels in a second, “Baka…I don't believe you men! Idiots, I swear!” She threw a startled glance towards Kagome, one filled on apprehension, fear, concern, dread and utter panic. “Will…I mean…do you…”
 
Kagome nodded, her façade resolute while underneath she was begging not to be left alone. “Go…I'm sure that hentai needs you.”
 
Sango nodded and Bankotsu added, “Don't get yourself killed Kagome…I think InuYasha would castrate me if that happens…and me and my guy are pretty attached.” he flashed her a guanine smile, one that Kagome realized could probably win the heart of any girl, and then they were gone.
 
Kagome grimaced as the door shut then turned to her friend. She walked to the bed and put two fingers over where the IV was inserted in Rin's wrist then closed her eyes. “Rin, if you can hear me, this may sting. I know how much you hate needles so… just…prepare.” And prepare Rin did. With a gentle tug, Kagome pulled the IV from Rin's wrist. She covered the small puncture immediately and applied pressure. “God I hope this doesn't kill you Rin…losing the medicine or whatever they have you hooked up to. But if you stay here, they will. I got to get you back to Sesshoumaru. Then we're getting the hell out of here until Naraku's dead. No more second chances Rin…we got to think this one out! We should have left a month ago…but I'm done. I'm…I am so sorry for never noticing…I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, Rin…but I swear I will never let you live it down. You're the truest friend a girl can ask…so…I'm going to repay it. …Ten fold, I swear it!” she lifted Rin to sit on the bed and glanced her over. It was the middle of November and the poor girl was wearing a near paper dress. Stripping off her down coat, Kagome draped it across Rin's shoulders and across her chest.. “Damnit Rin, I really wish you would wake up. I don't know if I can carry you out of here…but you better believe I'm going to try!”
 
Somewhere down the hallway, around the building…somewhere…there were two loud bangs, as loud as gunshots. Kagome paused, and her eyes widened. It was like glass shattering, and crashing down on her head. If it were one of her friends…if it was another life lost…. Kagome understood as she grew perfectly still; if a life was lost, it was her fault for rushing…for going behind Ryen and InuYasha's backs. “Oh God…” she turned towards the door and chewed on her lip. This couldn't be happening…not now. This was supposed to work, work without flaw. The good guys were supposed to win. In a strange revelation, Kagome realized that even if Bankotsu were shot, she would be highly upset. `I have to know…I have to know if I lost another friend.' With a deep breath, she pushed herself to her feet from the side of the bed and put the blanket back over Rin. Walking slowly to the door, tears filled her eyes, deflating that strong ego she had been fronting throughout the entire mission. Everything had worked well; everything had gone without a hitch, why couldn't this just work? Kagome placed her hand on the handle and paused, her breath caught in her throat. Would she really be able to open that door to see the bodies of her friends down the hall? Did they kill Hakushin? Did Tsubaki kill one of them? Anxiety pulled at her soul as she trembled at the door. `What was I thinking? I should have waiting for InuYasha…I can't…I can't do this on my own!' She fought the urge to sink away into a corner of the room, curling up into a ball and rocking away her troubles. She wanted to cry, she wanted to scream…she wanted to be in InuYasha's arms. She wanted someone to tell her it was going to be okay. As she reached for the handle, she wondered if this is what Rin felt all those nights she had to be alone in her house, never knowing if Naraku would show up, not knowing what would await her in the morning hours.
 
Closing her eyes, Kagome grabbed the doorknob and flung it open. She threw herself into the middle of the sanitary hallway and glared around. The white pristine hallways were empty, the lights flickered on the ceiling, and the gentle buzz of electricity was the only noise. Not a footstep, not a whisper…not an evil crackle or a heinous laugh. Somehow, the silence was more terrifying. She could hear her body responding to the stimulus; the beating of her heart as it slammed against her rib cage echoed in her ears, vibrated against the walls. The sound of her shallow breathing clashed against it, creating an eerie sort of harmony. She swallowed hard as her mind tried to weird her out, seeing figures dancing through the whites of the walls, faces of people she didn't know screaming at her to run. It had to be a mirage…walls don't grow faces. It was soundless but however the much more creepy. Then there was something else. Another sound, however miniscule it was. The sound fell into sync with her breathing; it's patterns less chaotic, it was collected and cool. And whatever it was…it was right behind her. Her entire body went stiff as a board and she held her breath, hoping it was another thought. The images from the walls vanished, the souls of those trying to warn here were gone. A voice boomed inside of her head, probably her self-preservation kicking in, and it sounded like Rin. `Run…run now and don't look back!' Kagome couldn't find her breath again; she couldn't get the proper air into her lungs. Her heart was pounding faster and faster, begging her to run. `I will not…will not…abandon Rin!'
 
With a pure resolute determination, Kagome turned around to see just what her brain was telling her was there with her. To her distress and revulsion, it wasn't a mirage. Her eyes locked onto a chest that was about half a foot from her. Her breath stopped all together as her eyes slowly rose up the purple silk clothed chest, up the muscles that the material clung to, and up the thin neck. Absolute dread ate at her stomach and she felt as if she was going to pass out. Her world blurred in and out of focus, everything she had ever believed in the world died in a burning mess of hellfire. It was truly over…the good guys didn't win; there was no happy ending for anyone. Kagome heard herself whimper and she tried to back up a foot when a hand wrapped around her bicep to stay her in her place. Thousands of emotions shot through her body as the skin touched hers, and her first reaction was to try to pull away from the monster in front of her. Nails dug into her skin and she yelped, the sound bellowing like a scream through the hallway. She opened her mouth a few times, chewing on air mostly, before one word articulated on her tongue and echoed down the hallway. “N…Naraku…”
 
~~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*

- dum, dum, da-dum!!!! Yes, yes, the climax is here (not that kind you hentai!) Want to know who else is a hentai (and a sick fuck?) This mother-fucker next to me on the bus! I just spent fifty minutes with this ass-hat just shy of humping my leg the whole fucking ride. I asked him to move over twice; my face was, no joke, plastered against the goddamned window. What does he do? Spreads his fucking legs wider so he can rub his leg against mine. And he smelt like three-day-old non-washed dick! My god, I feel so fuckin' violated!!! Someone get me an aspirin! X__X