InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Encounter ❯ The Encounter ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Title: The Encounter
Author: InusDemoness
Disclaimer: I do not own the Inuyasha anime, manga, or characters. All rights and property belong to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz.

Summary: How Izayoi first met InuTaishou.


(Inner thoughts)




“It’s not much further now, Izayoi-sama.”

She sighed as the sedan chair swayed, bumped, and rocked with the inconsistent steps of her carriers. The journey was uncomfortable to say the very least, but she knew every effort was being made to ease her travel. Her father had overseen the construction of the hooded chair himself. It was painted a bright red with gold moldings, and he’d even seen that it was widened to give her more comfort. Her caravan was instructed to take the safest route without jarring her. Still, she felt sick. The few times her father had allowed her to travel to see her mother’s family all ended the same way; stopping the caravan so she could vomit and disgrace herself.

All these years later, she had hoped it wouldn’t happen again, but she was already covering her mouth with her left kimono sleeve. She would have to stop soon and allow her maids to take her into the woods. She could, at least, spare herself some embarrassment. She had been riding since dawn with the curtains drawn to keep the sun off of her skin and pulling them back blinded her.

“My lady, please close the curtains! You should not expose yourself to this harsh light.” Takanaka was a squat man and one of her father’s most trusted servants. He usually worse an eboshi to hide his bald spot but today all the servants wore straw sugegasa as they walked out in the sun. The returning vassals of her future husband were also being carried in palanquins. Unlike her, they showed little concern for the trouble their attendants went to so that they could ride in comfort. It was the least she could do to give them water from the drum every time the procession stopped.

“I desire to stretch my legs, Takanaka-san.”

“I’m afraid that would be unwise, Izayoi-sama. We have been forced to halt too many times. We must get you to the Kai province before we draw the attention of spies from the Date Clan.”

“I understand the danger but I feel a sickness coming over me. Stop the procession. I will take full responsibility.”

Takanaka called for the halt and she bolted through the curtain and out of the sedan chair almost before the carriers came to a full stop. Her four maids rushed after her, holding the edges of her kimono so it wouldn’t drag on the ground. She did not make it far beyond the brush before she lurched over and vomited. Between her own gasping and the clench of her stomach muscles, she was only vaguely aware of her maids grabbing her hair to hold it out of the way. She steadied herself on a nearby tree as they mopped her brow and fussed over her.

“Akiko, tell Takanaka to treat the attendants to water while I compose myself.”

“Yes, Izayoi-sama,” the young girl bowed low and ran off back to the convoy

Her stomach heaved again and she gripped the tree with both hands. She could hear the whinnies from the horses of her father’s samurai and the shouts of men below. She had to return soon or they would come looking for her. She did not want tales of her sickness reaching the vassals --and by consequence-- her betrothed. Being labeled as sickly would call her ability to bare children into question. She took deep breaths and stood up straight.

“I must return.” Her maids dabbed her face and bowed as she walked forward. She felt hot under the layers of her kimono and she would need water to wash the taste of bile from her mouth. She could not walk fast for fear of causing another wave of sickness. Her balance on her geta was already unsteady enough. She listened to the leaves and twigs crunch under her steps. The woods smelled like moss and earth, there were no flowers, not even wild ones and she found herself missing the gardens of her family castle. Hopefully, her new home would have gardens just as splendid. She could not remember seeing any gardens in the Takeda castle when she was younger. Would her future lord allow her to plant her own?

She was Izayoi of the Imagawa clan and it was her duty to marry her cousin and help strengthen their family ties. Date Masamune, the One-Eyed Dragon, was currently conquering his own kin and taking over their lands. What would happen after he was done slaying his own cousins and uncles? If he turned his bloodlust toward either the Imagawa or her mother’s family, the Takeda, there had to be enough stability between the two clans to join forces. She took a deep breath and kept walking. Her father was counting on her.

When she broke through the line of trees she saw some tension leave Takanaka’s shoulders. The poor old man was too nervous over this journey. Akiko was overseeing the water distribution and her father’s samurai were keeping a strict watch. He’d given her his five finest warriors to escort her to the Kai province. Five was all he could spare. He needed his forces ready as a precaution against attack. She remembered her mother’s fury that her uncle had not sent samurai to escort his son’s future bride to safety. So, her father and his adviser’s planned and mapped the safest possible route for her. There was less chance of being seen and attacked on the forest paths.

The samurai never relaxed or removed their armor. If some of the servants were close to death from exhaustion, she could not imagine what the samurai were feeling. She had often seen them walking as a way of resting their horses, though they refused to remove the animals’ barding. She knew that one of the samurai was sent to scout ahead and that he communicated with his comrades by the use of a hawk, but she had not seen him or the bird for hours.

Everyone bowed as she came back to the group and Takanaka rushed over to her with his sugesaga in his hands. He tried to lift it over her head to shield her from the sun but he was too short for that. She had to stifle a laugh at seeing him stretch too hard. Finally his efforts gave way to frustration and he swatted one of her maids with the hat.

“Come now, girl! Can’t you see the damage the sun will cause our mistress’s beautiful skin? Use this to cover her!”

“Do not worry for me so, Takanaka-san. We can be on our way as soon as everyone is refreshed,” she said with a smile.

“Izayoi-sama, the sun is so hot and your skin is so fair,” said Etsu.

“Izayoi-sama, are you well?” Asked Takanaka.

“Yes, I am well enough to continue.”

“I am very glad to hear it.” He pulled back the curtain of her sedan chair and ushered her inside.

Back to this horrible prison.

Akiko fetched her some water and a small fan to help her ease the heat. Everyone mounted their horses and took their places and she gave a quiet groan as the sedan chair was lifted from the ground again.

She heard the hawk first but thought nothing of it until the shouting started. Her sedan chair stopped suddenly and when she pulled the side curtain back the samurai were riding up and down the procession. One of them stopped at her window.

“Izayoi-sama, we must stop. Our scout has reported strangers in the woods up ahead. He does not know if they are the One-Eyed Dragon’s men or Ronin. Neither is good for us and it would put you in grave danger to continue,” he spoke quickly as he tried to keep his horse under control. She felt panic building up in the pit of her stomach.

“Then we will stop, and see that my uncle’s vassals are informed of the situation.” She spoke with strength she did not feel.

“Do not fear, Izayoi-sama, we will protect you with our lives.” He nodded and rode on to carry the message. She closed the curtain and said a silent prayer to the kami that this danger would pass. She could hear the sound of footsteps and see their shadows as her maids and other attendants gathered around her palanquin.

“We are here for you, Izayoi-sama,” she heard Akiko say from outside.

“Do not step outside, Izayoi-sama. We do not want them to spot you,” said Takanaka.

“I do not fear myself but for all of you. Please find cover.”

“We will not leave you, my lady,” said Etsu.

She heard one of the horses outside again and had to stop herself from pulling the curtain back again, but she was sure her retinue of maids and servants would draw the attention of any person looking for her.

“Izayoi-sama, I will remain here with you until we hear it is safe to move on.”

“I thank you. What is your name?” Her voice came out so shaky that it made her flinch. How could the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto be so scared?

“Gensai Hattori, my lady, and I have been serving your father since before you were born.”

“I feel safe in your care, Gensai Hattori.”

“It is my honor, Izayoi-sama.”

The sun was beginning to set and nightfall meant more cover but also more danger. She wished she had not stopped the procession because of her weakness. They might have been past this stretch of woods and out of this present danger. And she wished her future husband had spared a few guards for her sake. She found herself sharing her mother’s fury over that. More than anything she wished she were back home in the safety of her own castle.

When night fell she ordered her maids and attendants to rest. Nothing had happened and she had been informed by Takanaka that the vassals were getting restless and criticizing the samurai. It is possible that the scout saw nothing but farmers out for a hunt, but she had such a bad feeling in her stomach. Some of their servants were starting cook fires. She could hear the arguments of the samurai. Fires and the smell of cooking food draw danger.

“The scout returns, Izayoi-sama,” said Gensai. This time she did pull the curtain back. The scout was riding toward them fiercely, shouting as he came.

“Youkai! Youkai in the woods! Take Izayoi-sama to safety!”

“Did he say youkai?” Fear and panic pooled in her, creating a feeling worse than any motion sickness. The scout pulled his horse to skidding stop next to Gensai. He looked just as afraid as she was.

“Gensai-dono, I saw them! When I crept closer to determine who they were, I saw them. They had green skin and yellow eyes. They were hunched and devouring a dead man. We must remove Izayoi-sama as fast as possible!” Her maids exchanged looks of horror and gasps of fear. Takanaka shushed them with a wave of his hand.

“Perhaps these devils will pass us by? If we remain quiet here our presence may go unnoticed,” said Gensai.

“I do not think that wise. They spoke as they…as they ate. I heard them say the stink of humans and horses was close. I believe they smelled our party approaching. They will either wait for us or attack us.” A look passed between the two samurai and the discussion was over. The scout dismounted and walked toward her transport.

“Izayoi-sama, I will assist you onto Gensai-dono’s horse so that he may carry you away from this accursed place. Your maids must also mount their horses and follow you back to Suruga.”

“The betrothal!” Takanaka was looking from her to the samurai in desperation. “Who will inform Takeda-sama of why his bride is not coming?”

“Let his vassals do the informing and they may also tell him that we may have defeated these monsters and continued on if he had spared some of his warriors! Izayoi-sama’s safety is our responsibility, keeping Takeda informed is theirs,” roared Gensai-dono.

“I will not argue you where it concerns my lady’s safety.” Takanaka bowed away and began ushering her maids to their horses.

“All of you,” she called before they hurried away. “It would please me for you to allow my palanquin bearers to ride with you back to Suruga.” She would not allow any of her people to left here and slaughtered. She knew she could not save everyone, no matter how badly she wanted, but she could save her people.

“We hear your wish, Izayoi-sama,” Akiko said. Takanaka shooed the bearers away with her maids.

“Izayoi-sama, you must leave now,” said Gensai-dono. She nodded mutely and let the scout help her out of the sedan. Together, they got her on the horse. She held on tight as Gensai turned the animal in the opposite direction and gave his instructions to the scout.

“The vassals have been informed of the danger by the other samurai. Tell them we have done all we can and we must see to Izayoi-sama.”

“Of course,” said the scout. Without another word Gensai kicked his horse into a run.

Back home, but to what end?

Her father would not fault the samurai for saving her from such a situation but Takanaka was right. Her marriage was still necessary and this delay may not go over well with the Takeda clan. The sky was cloudy, hiding the stars. Only the light from the moon cut through. The woods rushed past her and she could only hope that her maids were keeping up with their pace. If she survived this, she would be safe at home for a while longer.

Please

Perhaps next time she would be better protected. Somewhere, deep down, she hoped there would not be a next time. She wanted badly for her father to rage against the negligence of the Takeda and break the betrothal. It was an impossible hope, she knew, but she wanted it. The reality was that her father would indeed rage, but he would not break the alliance. He would simply demand more guards and weapons for her escort and for his army.

A shriek went up somewhere behind them. The sound washed over her like cold water and her heart was hammering. She clutched to Gensai tighter and prayed for the horse to keep running. They had been traveling so long and the animals had hardly rested.

I stopped them because I was sick…

The screaming came out of nowhere. She recognized that they were male voices and suddenly felt so guilty for leaving the vassals. She was tempted to look back but couldn’t bear the thought that she might not see her maids.

Gensai’s voice called her back from her thoughts. “A man, my lady!” She raised her head over his shoulder as much as she could and squinted but only saw a dark figure in the distance.

“A man standing in the path!” He yelled again. “I will run him down if he does not move!”

“No, we must warn him!” She could see him now; a tall man in armor and fur. His hair was tied in a ponytail and seemed to shimmer in the moonlight. If he was traveling on this path then he was headed straight for danger.

“Stop, Gensai-dono!”

Their pace slowed until he could pull the horse to a stop. They were only a few feet away from the man. He was turned in the direction they came from with his nose in the air. Was he sniffing? She could scarcely make out his features in the fuzzy moonlight, but she thought she saw jagged marks on his cheeks. Even so, she knew he was handsome. He wore a sword at his side but made no move to reach for it.

“Are you samurai?” The man simply looked at them. She could hear the other horses now, but that didn’t mean as much to her now as it had a moment ago.

His eyes are…golden?

“Are you Ronin?” The man still did not deign to answer Gensai. Izayoi could not look away from his eyes. She did not feel fear anymore, on the contrary, she felt calm. His eyes were so strong. It was as if he could see into her soul.

“Whoever you are, the path ahead of you is beset by youkai. For the sake of your own life, turn and run with us.”

“What is your name?” She asked. Gensai looked back at her in curiosity, but quickly directed his attention back to the stranger in front of them.

“My lady asked you question!” He showed no sign of even hearing their words. He just continued to hold her gaze.

“We dare not waste any more time on this ungrateful retch, Izayoi-sama. We must continue.”

“Can we not wait for the others to join us?”

To stay and look upon him…

“I must see to your safety first, Izayoi-sama. The others must look after themselves.”

“You should listen to your protector.” At first, she was so entranced with his eyes that she was not sure he spoke at all.

“Your companions are close but so are the human eaters.” If thunder could be soothing, that would be his voice. It was like steel wrapped in silk.

“How do you know this?” Gensai asked.

“I smell their stink.”

“How could you poss-“

“Do not question me.” The command was soft but Gensai did not speak again.

“Go,” he said, “You will not have more trouble beyond this point. Take the fair maiden to safety.”

The man turned back to sniffing the air as if they were dismissed. Gensai did not argue, he simply spurred the horse on again. Izayoi looked back at the man until the strain on her neck became too much. She wished he had answered her question and told her his name.

><
Note: There seem to be some maintenance issues on this site, especially pertaining to Word document formatting. I’ve tried to bring it to the attention of the administration but the powers that be seem to have abandoned their posts. If you want to continue reading the story, then look for it on FF.net (InuDemi) or Archive of Our Own.