InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Invention of the Dictionary ❯ The invention of the Dictionary ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: The invention of a dictonary
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Rating: Teen
 
Summary: Barking dogs are bound to annoy. Or so says the dictionary. And the dictionary's always right, right?
 
Etc: Inuyasha Kagome. . . wow. . . I haven't written one of these in a long time. . . I'm usually all for the unconvential things like a Miroku Kagome, or a Kouga, or Hojo, or Naraku, or Sesshoumaru Kagome. But the classical Inuyasha Kagome? Ha! I neverwrite them! But this story. . . well, it's fun. Please read and review. And try to trail a word. I actually did this in class one day! I trailed the word annoy and it led back to love. (Mind you, it took a lot more definitions than the ones I show in this story, but still, I gave you enough to give you a general idea of how a trail works.)
 
Read and review!
 
(For the love of all that is puppies, please read and review!)
 
 
 
 
 
The Invention of the Dictionary
 
Annony /e noy/ (-nnoyed, -nnoy:ing, -nnoys) v.
vt. Irritate somebody to make someone feel impatient or angry.
vt. Harrass somebody to harrass or bother somebody repeatedly
vi. Be irratating to be the source of irratation.
Barking dogs are bound to annoy.
 
 
Oh yes, Kagome would have to agree as she sent a single glare towards Inuyasha. Barking dogs certainly did annoy. How horrible accurate the dictionary was! She supposed though, she thought as she slammed her Encarta world dictionary shut with a flash of said annoyance, that after how ever many years the human race had been in existance, someone had to have come up for a better word for how vexed she felt right now.
 
Kagome reopened her dictionary and scanned the pages, glancing at the tops as she flipped through them until she came across the word she was looking for.
 
Vex /veks/ (vexed, vex-ing, vex-es) vt.
Annoy somebody to make somebody annoyed or upset
Agitate to cause somebody anxiety or distress.
Confound to confuse or puzzle somebody.
(Also see annoy)
 
Kagome glowered down at her book. Surely there had to be something better than that!
 
“Aren't you finished with your homework yet Kagome?” Inuyasha complained as he peeked over her shoulder.
 
Oh, I'm finished with something. . . Kagoem thought as she shot him the evilest look she could manage. And considering all the homework she had piled around her, waiting to be done, well, she could manage an evil look.
 
“Go . . . away. . . Inuyasha!” She wailed as she chucked her math book at him. He side stepped it, and it landed in the fire, where it burned merrily. Kagome sighed. oh well, she thought, it deserved to burn anyways. . .
 
Agitate /ajji tayt/ (-tated, -tat:ing, -tates) v.
arouse public interest to attempt to arouse public interest, feeling, or support for or against a a cause
move something violently to cause something to move violently or vigorously
somebody anxious to make somebody feel anxious or unable to relax, including in an excited matter
 
Kagome blinked at her dictionary. Anxious? But. . . Inuyasha didn't make her anxious. . . did he? Well, sometimes, though Kagome would never admit it out loud, she had far too much pride for that, when he looked at her, if the angle was right, she would feel her heart speed up and she would be unable to relax for a while, her thoughts always trailing back to the expression on his face.
 
Quickly, Kagome flipped to the definition of anxious.
 
Anxious /anggk sessh/ adj.
feeling nervous worried or afraid, especially about something that is going to happen or might happen or may be hoped may happen
Eager to want very, very much, e.i. in a desperate or nervous way, to do or receive something.
Producing anxiety producing feelings of fear, eagerness, uncertainty or nervouness.
comes from the latin word anxios, meaning literally to strangle.
 
Well, Kagome thought with a smirk, she could definitely relate to the wanting to strangle part. She wanted to do so to Inuyasha on many occassions! But the eager. . . that word made her nervous. . .
 
Eager /eeger/ adj.
enthusiastic and excited about something or doing something. Impaitently waiting to do or have something.
Full of enthusiasim and impaitence. Expressing enthusastic interest in a specfic subject, object, or expection; an impatient desire for something or to do something.
 
Kagome stared in horror at her dictionary before flipping to desire. Yeah, maybe a desire to strangle him, but other than that, the dictionary has to be wrong!
 
Desire /diz ire/ vt.
wish for to want something very strongly
find sexually attractive to want to have sexual relations with somebody
craving and or longing something sought after, coveted, and longed for
something wished for something that someone has wished for
sexual craving to crave or long for in a sexual manner
comes from the latin desiderare, possibly meaning to wish upon a star.
 
 
Kagome froze in her mind. to. . . crave. . . SEXUALLY?!?! She felt the urge to have her dictionary join her math book in the fire! But, as it had cost her fifty bucks and her interest had been piked, she continued through the book, waiting to see what it would say about longing.
 
Long /lawng/ (-ing, -ed, -s) vt.
To have a strong desire or yearning for someone or something, especially someone or something that may be or seem unattainable or within immediate reach.
 
Well, Inuyasha wasn't within immediate reach. . . he was in love with Kikyo. . . But that didn't mean that she longed for him! It only meant that she had far too much time on her hands, looking through the dictionary to find all the words she could use to describe her feelings towards Inuyasha. How they had come to longing, she had no idea, and though the pile of homework around her only seemed to grow as the moments passed, she flipped to yearning.
 
Yearning /yurning/ n.
To have a stong desire or strong feelings for someone or something, often tinged with sadness.
 
Well, Kagome had to admit that if she did covet Inuyasha, which she didn't, her life would be tinged with sadness. Looking at him, she couldn't help but think about everything that he'd been through. It would seem, from his point of view, everything and everyone that came in contact with him suffered because of him in some way. Sadness seemed to follow wherever he led, and Kagome knew that eventually it would come to her as well.
 
She shook her head. Not today! Today, she thought, today she was going to find the actual meaning of the word fellings.
 
Feel /feel/ v. (felt, feel-ing, feels) vt.
To touch something to perceive something using the sense of touch
Touch somebody sexually to touch somebody or a part of somebody's body for the purpose of sexual gratifications.
Examine something to percieve something by the sense of touch
Advance hestitantly to make your way forward slowly, guided only by your sense of touch.
Use touch in searching to use the sense of touch to try and find something
Have a sensation in a body part to have a physical sensation in any given body part
Experience something to experience a physical or emotional sensation
Seem to yourself to seem to yourself to be in a specifc or emotional state
Cause a specified sensation to cause a specfied sensation or emotion
Be aware of something to be instinctively aware of something, usually something unseeable, like and emotion
Be affected by something to b edeeply and emotionally affected by something, usually pain or love
Feel for to have an emotion for someone else, e.i. love, sympathy, etc.
 
 
Love? Kagome's eyes froze on the word. Love?! How in the world had annoy gotten to love!??! Feverantly, almost in a daze, Kagome flipped to the word. Surely the dictionary was faulty! Surely it was. . .
 
And though the list ran on longer than that of the one for feelings, the first line struck a cord.
 
Love /luv/ n.
An intense feeling of caring and compassion; unconditional emotion in which you long to give pleasure to the other person, thing.
 
Slowly, as if it were a fragile thing, Kagome closed her dictionary and stood. By the fire, Inuyasha tweaked one ear before turning her way.
 
“Oh, are you done already?” Inuyasha said as he eyed the paperwork that remained strewn around her. “I would have thought that it would have taken you longer to figure it all out.”
 
Kagome smiled. She knew he meant the home work, but she knew better. She kneeled down beside him, letting the fire warm her chilled hands as she looked at him. “It took me longer than I thought it would. . . but I think I understand some things a little bit better now.”
 
Inuyasha turned back towards the fire. “You don't make any sense. And you'll break your back carrying around so many books! You're just a human girl!” Inuyasha grabbed her dictionary and threw it in the fire. “There. That one was the biggest anyways.”
 
Kagome was sure he was sure he would get sat. But Kagome stood, shook her head, and silently thanked her dictionary. How fitting that it would die after it had taught her her most valuable lesson.
 
“Inuyasha. . .” He flinched visibly, obviously expecting a sit or four.
“What?” He asked after a moment had passed and he wasn't eating dirt.
 
Kagome sighed. “You're so annoying.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed, bt didn't retaliate. Kagome smiled in to her hand and walked away, happy to keep her definition of the word her secret for a little while longer.