InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Random Place ❯ Peace Found Only at Sunrise ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



He turned and gazed out at the valley before him, ignoring the distant cries of his friends. The sun was soon to rise, the horizon painted brilliant shades of orange and pink. Warm spring air skated across his face to dance in his hair, sending it shimmering along his shoulders and back. The newborn light, just barely scaling the horizon, warmed his skin and carresed his face.


It was times like these that he lived for. When he could forget the hell that was his life, forget all the horrible things he'd seen and done. Forget his suffering. It was the times when he could let himself go that he truly felt at peace.


Hand resting on the hilt of his sword, he closed his eyes, letting go of all thought and feeling and concentrating on the wind in his hair and the sun on his face. Soon, he could no longer hear his friends calling out as they searched the woods for him.


They obviously didn't like it when he wandered off alone. Even though for most of his life he had been alone, left to fend for himself in the wilderness.


And still they worried.


This strange yet simple action confused and, well, touched him. That humans could actually care whether he lived or died was a foreign thing, and hard for him to grasp. Yet somehow he was slowly begining to. And as he stood there, thinking of those he'd come to call his friends, he felt for the first time in a long time like everything would work out. For better or for worse, he was ready to take on the world.


A distant sound of footsteps and voices reached his sensitive canine ears, and it took him a moment to relize they'd finnaly found him. Allowing the small smile that was tugging at his lips life, he opened his eyes to gaze out at the sunrise before him.


Soon, he'd be back to his normal routine, but for now, he was content to soak up the last few rays of the peace one could only find at sunrise.