InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ Brooding Brother ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Brooding Brother

Ah the night…

Within it's grasp held captive were unfathomable secrets. The cloaking darkness was a comforting home to so many, instances and beings that could not be exposed to the cleansing light of day. There was something about it, really. It held an unrecognizable magic, host to a time when the most extraordinary creatures were active. Within the night, many ethereal beings prowled the shadows and stalked the darkness, be it in search of food or solace.

And on this particular night, a certain inu-hanyou settled into the darkness, perching upon his favorite branch in the God Tree…

Inuyasha was brooding. Of course this was not an unusual occurrence, but it was for reasons different than those usually settled his troubled mind.

Earlier that day, he'd silently watched the exchange between Kagome and his brother. At first, he'd been highly amused by the encounter. He just couldn't believe that Kagome had intimidated Sesshoumaru so easily! And it was damn funny, too. He could practically see his half-brother's eye twitching when Kagome got right in his face. He almost died trying to keep from bursting with laughter when she just dismissed him as if the bastard hadn't even been there.

However, when he thought back on the encounter later expecting the immediate amusement that followed, what he got was realization and depression. This, of course, eventually led to his brooding.

Inuyasha hadn't realized it before, but when it hit him, he was more than a little shocked.

Sesshoumaru and Kagome had actually been flirting with one another. It some twisted, sardonic, totally unreal way, they had been flirting. And it pissed him off to no end…

Kagome was supposed to be his damnit! Mind you… it wasn't exactly official until she excepted his claim, but damn it, it was inevitable!

He was seriously getting sick of Sesshoumaru showing his ugly mug around their usual dwelling, like he owned the damn place (which, technically he did). But by the bloody seven levels of hell, he was going to drive that bastard off if it was the last thing he did. Kouga couldn't have Kagome, and neither could Sesshoumaru.

Inuyasha would see to that….

****

Not much farther away, the demonness in question was sitting comfortably back on her haunches, watching with a fond smile as Shippou and Kirara pounced one another. The fire in front of her blazed merrily in the darkness, casting a glow upon her features, illuminating the night and the icy blue depths of her eyes.

The night was peaceful for once, and she thought to enjoy it while she could since they would be resuming their search for the remaining shards the next day. Most likely, they would head West, towards Sesshoumaru's borders.

And speak of the devil…

The ivory lord, who had not shown himself the entire day, was now coming down the path and heading straight for Kagome. She groaned inwardly, predicting some sort "I demand respect, woman!" speech from 'his majesty.' Sometimes she wondered if maybe she should at least pretend to be intimidated by him, then maybe they wouldn't have confrontation so often. Or, perhaps he would grow up and realize that there was no need for him to be so anal-retentive all the time… not likely.

Kagome sighed and decided to make herself more comfortable by actually sitting, crossing her legs in front of her. She neither said nor did anything to acknowledge his presence when he sat next to her, keeping her eyes on the children. She would let him start the conversation, since she wasn't exactly sure where she stood in his opinion at the moment.

Kagome smirked; she did, after all, insult him however subtle it might have been. And she was quite sure he was perceptive enough to see it. He wasn't used to being treated as an equal, so she knew it irked him. It wasn't as if she cared, one way or the other. He needed to be put in his place, and damn if that wasn't what she'd done.

After several seconds had passed, she realized that he had begun staring at her… open, outright staring. Outwardly, her calm had not wavered, but from within she was quite annoyed that he was practically leering at her, and didn't seem to give a flip.

Then suddenly, she snapped her gaze up to hold his own in that instant and was rewarded by his almost imperceptible start of surprise. 'Heh… like a kid with his hand caught in the cookie jar.'

"Yes, Sesshoumaru, can I help you with something?" She smiled as sickeningly sweet as possible.

From the looks of things, he seemed to be struggling to say something. She could tell by the tense line of his jaw and his pursed lips that whatever it was had to be really difficult to get out.

"I… I wanted to apologize… for my behavior earlier," he said so quietly that she almost didn't hear, though she could tell he meant it as he was looking straight into her eyes. (A/n: Quite OOC, duncha think?)

The sound of Kagome's jaw hitting the dirt was most definitely audible.

"You… you what?"

Sesshoumaru suddenly switched moods faster than she could blink. "You heard me, woman. This Sesshoumaru will not repeat himself for the likes of you," he said in a huff, looking away from her as if she had offended him.

Kagome bit her lower lip to stifle the laughter that was threateningly bubbling up. She had to admit, he looked so cute like that, like some pup who was pouting because he'd just been denied his favorite chew-toy.


When she felt she could finally trust her voice, she took a deep breath and made an attempt to speak. "You're right, I'm sorry, Sesshoumaru. This Kagome accepts your apology…" That was about all she got out before she dissolved into helpless fits of laughter, rolling about on the ground as she clutched her stomach. She was having trouble breathing at this point, and tears were rolling down her now-flushed cheeks.

"I am glad you find this so amusing," came the rather annoyed response, though he might as well have been speaking to a tree for all the receptiveness he got from she who was trying to control her fit of giggles. The corner of his lips twitched at the sight, a small amused smile gracing his expression. He should have been extremely livid at this point, but, surprisingly enough, he wasn't.

After a few more moments, Kagome composed herself, settling back into a sitting position as she took deep breaths to further calm down. Turning to her silent companion, she smiled apologetically and placed a gentle, clawed hand on his arm.

"I'm really sorry about that, Sesshoumaru, but you should have seen your face just then. I had to laugh, it was so funny. Forgive me?"

He stared at her for a moment, then looked away, though not without nodding his consent.

And so they sat like that the rest of the night, even when everyone had gone to sleep and Shippou had made his nest in his mother's arms.

Sesshoumaru couldn't help but feel that this was what it was like to have a family. He wanted this for himself, and… he admitted to himself that he wanted that with Kagome.

Now all that was left was to get her to want it, too…