InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Within ❯ To See ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hi Everybody! I'm going away for Easter so I had to get this out to you guys today. I hope that you enjoy it! And I hope that everybody has a great Easter or Passover or whatever you all celebrate at this time of year.
 
**********
 
The Soul Within
Chapter Seven
 
“Hey guys! Rise and Shi - I mean, Rise and…uh…dark!” Kagome said cheerfully.
 
Sango and Miroku sat up and yawned, while Shippo simply rolled over.
 
With a smile in the kitsune's direction, Miroku said, “It usually takes him about half an hour to get up.”
 
Kagome nodded. “I understand,” she said. “So, what are you two going to do?”
 
Sango and Miroku glanced at each other. “Well, we usually take a walk at night, grabbing food if we need it,” Sango informed her.
 
“Do we need it?”
 
“I think we're good for now,” Miroku said smiling. He turned toward Sango. “Sango, my darling, perhaps we can do something tonight that is more fun than simply walking. For example…you can bear my children?”
 
Sango promptly smacked his face with her open palm. “That's ninety-nine. I can't believe that you're being a pervert as soon as I get up! Do you have any decency?”
 
“Oh Sango, your words are cruel and they cut me deeply,” Miroku said mournfully.
 
“Save the innocent routine for someone that doesn't know you,” Sango muttered.
 
“Even if we don't need food, you two should take a walk anyway. It's probably really nice out and you have been cooped up in here all day,” Kagome said, trying to keep her voice light even though she was starting to get anxious.
 
If she was going to break the spell, she needed them out of the castle so that she could snoop around for the jewel without arousing suspicion. The longer that Sango and Miroku argued, the less time that she had to search for the jewel. She didn't even know where it was to begin with!
 
Sango looked at Kagome and smiled at her. “You're right, Kagome. Why don't you come with us? We can acquaint you with the castle grounds.”
 
Uh oh. She couldn't go on a walk with them; she had to find the jewel! Kagome needed an excuse and fast!
 
“…Well…you see…” she began nervously, sweeping her gaze around the room until it landed on Shippo. “I wanted to stay here with Shippo. You know, until he wakes up,” she said.
 
Kami-sama…that sounded so lame!

“Then we'll see you later,” said Miroku pleasantly.
 
Kagome couldn't believe her ears. He had bought it? She had gotten the feeling that he was smarter than that! Only when Miroku turned and grinned lecherously at Sango did Kagome realize what he was doing. He was looking for an excuse to spend time with Sango alone. She rolled her eyes.
 
“See you two later,” Kagome said with a small wave, moving to sit beside Shippo.
 
With a `Help me!' look, Sango reluctantly followed Miroku outside.
 
Kagome shook her head in amusement. Sango wasn't as good as hiding her feelings as she'd like to think. Kagome had seen the way that Sango looked at Miroku and the way that she had blushed after slapping him. Kagome had no doubt in her mind that those two would get together someday.
 
But that was not important right now.
 
Right now, she had to find that jewel, purify it, and eliminate everyone's misery.
 
Kagome stood up and walked toward that door. She took a quick peek outside to make sure that Sango and Miroku were gone and that Inuyasha wasn't coming. She did not want any of them to catch wind of her plan.
 
Satisfied that no one was coming, Kagome stepped out of the room, shutting the door quietly behind her.
 
**********
To say that Kagome was getting frustrated would be putting it mildly. To say that she felt like yelling her head off and pulling her hair out in aggravation would be more accurate.
 
She had been tiptoeing all around the castle for hours and there was no jewel anywhere! She had been so sure that the jewel was in the castle…but she was now pretty sure that it wasn't around.
 
Kagome slammed her good fist against the wall in annoyance. She had expected to make hard contact with the durable wall (and to get a purple bruise as a result)…she hadn't expected the wall to slowly rotate and reveal an archway. She had, somehow, opened a secret room.
 
Feeling a little nervous, Kagome hesitantly walked forward into a room. The walls were wooden and had various swords hanging on them. She swept her gaze around the room. There were big swords, small swords, fancy show swords and swords that looked like they needed to be thrown out. The room was spacious and it looked like some kind of dojo.
 
Her eyes landed on one specific sword. It was small and rusty, but it held her attention for some reason. Looking at the nameplate, she read:
 
The Tetsusaiga
 
She was about to reach out and touch it, when she noticed something beside the sword. On a peg on the wall, there was a necklace. Hanging from it like a charm, there was a shard of dull purple glass.
 
Beneath the peg on the wall that held the necklace, Kagome noticed a small, round table that had a jar on it. Curiously, she pried off the lid and peaked inside.
 
There were shards of black glass.
 
Feeling disappointed, Kagome put the lid back on and looked back at the necklace. She reached for the charm and as she did, two things happened.
 
The first was that the dull purple colour instantly brightened into magenta and the shard sparkled.
 
The second was the angry growl that she heard behind her. “What are you doing here?” said a tight voice.
 
Kagome dropped the necklace and spun around, only to be greeted by the sight of Inuyasha's angry, human face. “What are you doing here?” he grounded out again, looking like he wanted to murder her.
 
“I-I'm sorry,” Kagome stuttered. “I was just - ”
 
“Yes?” Inuyasha said flatly.
 
“I was looking for the…” she paused.
 
An ugly look overcame Inuyasha's face. “What were you looking for?” Inuyasha grabbed the jar that held the black shards. “What were-?” Inuyasha stopped and his eyes rested on the pink shard on the necklace…the shard that was purple just a few hours ago. “What did you do to the Shikon Jewel?” he said in a low, angry voice.
 
“I - ”
 
Inuyasha didn't wait for an answer. He angrily smashed the jar of shards against the floor and pinned Kagome to the wall by her shoulders.
 
“DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE?” he yelled. “Get out of here! I told you to leave this place and never come back! Leave!” He tossed her aside roughly.
 
Kagome fell to the floor, thrusting out her good hand to keep her bad wrist from hitting the floor. With tears in her eyes, she fled from the room. She couldn't think of anytime that she had been more afraid.
 
**********

What was she thinking? That stupid woman…coming into his dojo and trying to take the Shikon no Tama. She was just like the miko that had cursed him; they had both tried to destroy him with that jewel.
 
Inuyasha looked down at the necklace and nearly fell over in shock. The colour of the final shard of the jewel…it was…pink and more pure. He knew that already but only now did he realize what that meant.
 
Inuyasha had more time to break the spell.
 
**********
 
Kagome ran out into the front yard, her tears falling hard and fast. Inuyasha had been so malicious to her. She accepted the fact that she didn't know him but still…their brief conversation the night before had led her to believe that he was a lonely, but kind person.
 
“So much for that theory,” Kagome muttered, walking toward Amaya. The horse lifted her head when she saw her. “Hey girl.” Kagome stroked her back gently. “I wish that we could go home too,” Kagome said softly.
 
“Go home and marry that fool that you were trying to escape from?” said an inquiring voice.
 
Kagome almost had a heart attack. She recognized that voice! Without turning around, Kagome said, “What are you doing here, Kikyo?”
 
“Why don't you turn around and ask me that? It is much more polite.”
 
Kagome bristled, hating the fact that a dead woman was lecturing her on manners. Nevertheless, she turned around. “Why did you bring me here?” the young miko demanded.
 
Kikyo gave her a chilling smile. “Why not?” she answered, enjoying the look on Kagome's face.
 
Kagome tried again. “How did you come back to life?”
 
“How does anything come to life?”
 
“Stop answering my questions with questions!” Kagome said in frustration.
 
“It is so much more fun though,” said Kikyo with a smirk.
 
“That's it, I'm leaving. I should have left the moment that you disappeared…how did you disappear?”
 
“I didn't disappear…I'm always here.”
 
Feeling thoroughly annoyed, Kagome stormed off. Unfortunately, Kikyo was right behind her.
 
“I meant what I said earlier…do you really want to return to your village and marry Naraku?”
 
Kagome turned. “How do you know about him?”
 
Kikyo looked at the moon. “How does the moon stay so pure?”
 
Kagome snorted. “I bet if I ask you what the purest act is, you'd say something like - ”
 
“Pure is impure and impure is pure.”
 
“-That,” Kagome finished, walking away.
 
Kikyo's chilling voice called after her. “If you return to Naraku, you are a greater fool then he is.”
 
“Why you -!” Kagome stopped. Kikyo had disappeared again.
 
“Stupid Kikyo,” Kagome muttered, but she knew the undead miko was right. She couldn't go home. She would stay at the castle until her wrist was better…then she would go to her new village. In the meantime, she would avoid Inuyasha at all costs.