InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Summon a Mate ❯ November 9: 6:47 AM ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

AN: I'm soooo sorry about the wait. Again. I only have the same excuse as last time, I got overwhelmed with school, and sickness, and insecurity. But I have written out the outline to the rest of TSAM so hopefully, I won't have any more excuses for why I haven't written.
 
Eris of Chaos: Thank you! The pocket guide has to be one of my favorite chapters so I'm really glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks so much for reviewing!
 
Nekotaishou: (Blush) Aww, you flatterer, you! And don't worry, it'll be completely long before you're on your death bed. (Unless you're old. Then I'm doubly sorry about the long wait.) I just finished the outline and started chapter 16, so hopefully updates will start picking up again. But thank you so much for the review!
 
kittypaws182: Thank you! I'm really glad you're enjoying the story so far. Sometime in the next chapter or two you'll start learning more about the trial. Thanks for reviewing!
 
Forsaken Me: Aw, you review twice! Thank you! :) Sorry I didn't update for so long again. Hopefully this chapter will make up for it a bit. Thanks for the reviews and the New Year's Eve wishes!
 
Lady Karma: Thank you! Though to be fair to Inuyasha, it really does suck that for 500 plus years he's been in love with the woman who stuck him into a mirror. So he can have a little hissy fit. But not a huge one. Thanks for the review!
 
InvictusCanisDeus: Thank you! Personally, I don't think the later chapters are as good as the first ones, but I'm glad someone thinks so. Thanks so much for reviewing, as always! :)
 
Lady Wolf: Thank you! And thanks so much for the advice. I wanted to try to the rose bath one, but I wasn't sure if I should drop rose stuff in the water or use actual, real roses. As for everything else, you'll see sooner or later. :) Thanks for reviewing!
 
Unistar: Thank you! And you might find one or two more answers to your questions soon! ...but also more questions. :) Thanks so much for reviewing!
 
Kagome434: Sorry I waited so long then. It wasn't intentional! It just sort of happened...Sorry again.
 
Simple127: Thank you! Sess is definitely at his best in that scene. I'm so glad you liked him to :) Thanks for reviewing!
 
And since I was horrible enough to go this long without an update, Lady Kagura was more then happy to come back and fill you guys in on what happened the last few chapters...
 
Another Recap by Lady Kagura Since Penthesileia Was A Jerk AGAIN And Hasn't Updated Since Christmas
Informing you, courtesy of Lady Kagura
Once again Penthesileia was an ungrateful moron who didn't bother to update, and thus had to look to me to make sure her lovely readers aren't confused. After much begging and bribing, I graciously decided to get you all back up to speed. Not that I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart, but a certain sexy, stubborn, stuck-in-the-past-centuries mate of mine keeps stealing my white-out, Penthesileia is providing me with five crates of it. So unless you would like to pay my fee as well, pay attention.
 
Chapters 1-11: Kagome meets Mate. Mate tries to seduce Kagome. Kagome hits and resists Mate a few dozen times. Kagome is attacked/saved by Demonslayer turned Demon. Kagome finds out she's a Miko. Mate is torn between Kagome and Creepy Bitch. 
 
Chapter 12: Kouga is lucky is eyes weren't gouged out of his skull for looking at my legs while he tells my hubby about Inuyasha/Kagome/Kikyo. Miroku, the stupid idiot, begs for forgiveness from Sango and offers himself up as a punching bag while giving her her Hiraikatsu. Inuyasha finds out about Kikyo's betrayal and throws a hissy fit like the little immature brat he is.
 
Chapter 13: Inuyasha takes stupidity to near artform and remains steadfast in his belief that Kikyo deserves cannonization into sainthood, even after Sango does the math and realizes Kikyo's probably killed over 6,000 children to stay alive for 500 years. Kagome's mother has five seconds of conscientiousness. You're lucky enough to read a version of the Handbook I'm working on while I get sliced up (God damn it, it's always when I'm writing too...) Inuyasha gets a clue and decides to call Kikyo.
 
Chapter 14: Kikyo ends up talking circles around Inuyasha. (She's evil, but a clever bitch.) She manages to get Inuyasha back on track by basically batting her eyelashes and sounding sad, because as well all know, Inuyasha has the intelligence of a brain damadged goldfish. Goldy the "special"fish aka Inuyasha, is still unsure and thick-headed about what to do. My own sexy demon wipes the ground with Inuyasha's ass and just barely resists from doing the world a favor by killing him after Inuyasha informs him the jewel will make Kikyo his official mate. (He also didn't because I'd told him that I wanted both of them over for snacks and embarrassing baby photos.) In a move that surprised even me, Sesshomaru agrees to arrange Inuyasha's trial. But that's probably only because Inuyasha has no clue what he's gotten himself into...
 
Now hurry up, and get to it! Don't forget to leave me...ahem, Penthesileia a nice review yelling at her about her lack of updates.  
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and I am making no money off this fic. 
 
November 9, 6:47 AM
 
Chirp Chirp
 
Chirp Chirpppppppppppp
 
Inuyasha was not going to kill the bird.
 
ChirpChirpChirp
 
It didn't matter how annoying the damn bird got, he wasn't going to touch it. 
 
ChirpChirp Chirp ChirpChirp
 
Nope. He wasn't going to hurt the fucking bird no matter how many times it fucking chirped. 
 
Chir-
 
Inuyasha grabbed a fistful of feathers instead of the damn bird's beak, the bird squawking down at him while it flew away.
 
In disgust, Inuyasha flung the feathers away from him, more annoyed now then when the bird's chirping had kept him from thinking.
 
Sess and Sango were right. He was getting sloppy if he couldn't even snap one little bird's beak off. 
 
At any rate, the distraction was gone and Inuyasha turned his attention back towards the house, its occupations still sleeping peacefully inside. 
 
Gramps was snoring loudly somewhere on the first floor, practically rattling the house's foundations. Without Inuyasha or Kagome around to tell him to go to bed,Souta had played his video games all night long, so he was sprawled out on the floor, his TV still flashing game credits. Ms. Higurashi was as silent and unmoving and miserable as ever. 
 
And Kagome...
 
Inuyasha absently rubbed his chest when his heart lurched. Kagome had had trouble sleeping. He could hear her covers rustling as she tossed and turned, and once he found the faint scent of salt lingering in the air, he immediately started breathing through his mouth. He had sat crouched in front of Kagome's home, panting as Kagome finally fell asleep, more then two hours ago.
 
He was still working up the guts to go back inside. 
 
And he wasn't totally sure he'd be welcome, especially after the way he left yesterday. 
 
Now that the anger was gone, he couldn't believe he had just left Kagome lying there on the floor. What kind of mate was he? He should always be concerned for her welfare. 
 
Even if he was considering betraying her. 
 
He let his head fall back, hitting the tree's trunk hard. The minor ache wasn't nearly enough to distract him from his thoughts. 
 
It wasn't always such a difficult choice. If asked a week ago, Inuyasha would have picked Kikyo easily. Without any of the guilt or doubt he was feeling now. She had been all he wanted for over 500 years. He thought he would want her for the next 500 too.
 
He heard Kagome sigh in her sleep, and his ears drooped. But now it wasn't as simple.
 
So Kikyo or Kagome? Should he trust in his fate, or make his own?
 
Kagome let out a strange little moan, and without conscience thought, Inuyasha was sailing in the air towards her window sill. He caught the edge with one hand, pushing the panes open with the other as he vaulted to land softly on her carpet. Stepping carefully to avoid the planks that creaked, Inuyasha kneeled next to Kagome's bed cautiously.
 
Kagome laid in a tangled heap, sheets twisted around her legs, her black hair a messy halo around her head. His stomach clenched when he saw her pale, drawn face, forehead furrowed together.
 
Reaching his hand out, he gently traced her forehead, trying to smooth the tense lines away. He noticed goosebumps budding on her skin, so he straightened out her sheets and draped a thicker blanket over her. He wondered suddenly if she had eaten her soup for dinner. It would be so like the wench to forget. For fuck's sake, he left for one night and it was like she forgot how to take care of herself...
 
Of course, she would need to learn to if he was going to leave not just for the night, but for Kikyo.
 
Inuyasha sat back, wanting to curse. What the hell was he thinking now? Kag could take care of herself just fine, she had been carrying herself and her entire family long before he ever met her.
 
Growling in frustration, he uncurled her fists, lingering over her hands. Without warning, Kagome's fingers gripped his hand, holding it. 
 
She had no idea, but when she was sleeping she usually ended up holding his hand, even if he was wrapped tight around her. It was like subconsciously she needed that connection, even asleep.
 
No wonder she had such trouble resting.
 
He held her hand more firmly. It was nice to know he wasn't the only one feeling the pull. 
 
He watched her settle down again, her body relaxed while he wondered if he had ever watched Kikyo sleep like this. They had sex, and usually fell asleep in the same bed afterwards, but he couldn't ever remember watching over her like this. He sort of liked it. Kagome laid peacefully on the bed now, her chest rising and falling gently and her hand warm around his. It filled him with...satisfaction. His mate was warm, safe, and resting contently. It felt right.
 
His thumb brushed over her wrist. He felt a lot of things with Kikyo. Lust, love, anger, confusion, happiness. But never had he felt this bone deep peace when he was with her. When he was around Kagome, and if she was healthy and happy, everything was right in the world, no matter what else was going on. He'd never felt anything like it before.
 
And he repaid her by ripping apart her furniture and leaving her lying on a cold, hard floor. Weak and helpless. With no way to protect herself if Sango had decided to kill her after all or if some punks had broken in, or if Kouga had come around again...
 
His ears flattened against his skull. Anything could have happened. Kag could have thrown all the Harlequins she wanted, but it wouldn't have done much without him to watch her back.
 
He needed to man up and decide. This back and forth bullshit was ridiculous. Was it going to be Kikyo or Kagome?
 
Kagome stirred against her pillows, and slowly her eyes opened, looking sleepy. “Inuyasha?”
 
Sliding his fingers between hers, he leaned in closer to her. “Yeah mate?”
 
“You're home?” she nuzzled her face into her pillow, looking like she didn't quite want to get up yet.
 
“Feh. I'm sitting here, right?” She was sort of adorable when she was tired and not making much sense. Like a sleepy kitten he wanted to clutch to his chest and protect.
 
Ah fuck. Sleepy kittens? Whatever this was between them, he had it bad.
 
“So it's really you here and not another dream?” she rubbed her eyes, fighting a yawn.
 
“It's me.” Well this looked promising. She dreamed about him, and she hadn't started screaming her head off the minute she woke up. Maybe her reaction wasn't going to be as bad as he thought it would-
 
“You asshole!” her hand clamped down hard on his, pink running bright underneath her skin.
 
He yelped when her power rose up and started pinching his arm, while she hung on and glared at him. “I can't believe you! You stupid jerk!” 
 
“What the hell is your problem wench?!?” he tried to yank his hand away from hers, Kagome holding on stubbornly.
 
“What's my problem?” she repeated angrily. “My problem is an overgrown, immature, spoiled demon who says he's my mate-thing. A.K.A YOU!”
 
“Me? What the fuck did I do?” 
 
“You left me lying on the floor so weak it took me an hour just to crawl back on the couch!” Kagome snapped, Inuyasha's ears drooping in shame. “I could hardly move Inuyasha! And then I had to convince my family my ribs are still broken and you hadn't stopped playing nursemaid to go out and beg or hustle or something!” 
 
So he guessed her grandfather still thought he was a `hoodlum' whatever that was. “Kag-”
 
He stopped when her eyes started to shine, the words catching in his throat. Oh crap.
 
“You really hurt me Inuyasha. Leaving like that.” she whispered, looking away.
 
Oh fuck, she couldn't cry. She wouldn't, not his tough little miko. But the sheen over her eyes and the scent of salt in the air said otherwise. He felt like whimpering.
 
Luckily, she tilted her head down, her shoulders jerking strangely but when she looked back up, her eyes were fill of determination instead of tears. “Look, I know what I showed you upset you, and this is partly my fault for letting you find out that way, but you can't just storm out like that whenever you're pissed off! We need to find out a way to work this out together if we're ever going to have any kind of a future!”
 
Ears burrowing under his hair, Inuyasha resisted the urge to hunch over in shame. He had left Kagome, but she was still taking responsibility for what she felt was her fault in their fight. And she wasn't just screaming at him, she wanted to help him get through this. 
 
“I understand Kikyo was extremely important to you.” she continued, her tone a bit softer even while her power was still abusing his arm. “And I know this must have really hurt you. God knows I'd go crazy too.” she reluctantly admitted. “And you deserve your chance to mourn and be angry, but...but I'm here now and you need to know I would never do that to you.” she told him fiercely. “I don't know how this whole mate thing is going to work out, but I won't ever betray you Inuyasha.”
 
His heart jumped up into his throat. He was such scum. 
 
Kagome eased off on the power biting at his skin.  “I really have no idea what I'm doing, or if this will turn out right, but I want to give us a real chance. This last week...” she paused, trying to find the words. “I don't know what's happened to me, but something's changed. Before now, I never even would have looked twice at you.” she confessed, ignoring his annoyed look. “Not because you're not gorgeous. But I really shut down after my father's death. I was only concerned with making sure what was left of my family was safe. That's the only thing I've been living for these past months. But in only a week...I've started to care about you Inuyasha. Damn it, this is so fast and I know I'm being foolish...but I feel something for you, though I dunno what that is but it's not entirely horrible...gah, I'm not making any sense!”
 
She closed her eyes, breathing deeply for a moment. “We both entered into this unwillingly, but I want to see if this can't become willing...ly. Do you understand what I'm saying?” 
 
He understood he was a fucking bastard. He understood Kagome and matehood could be the worst thing to ever happen to him...or the best. 
 
“Yeah, I get it. And I want it to.” He heard himself say before he even realized what he was doing. Fucking, fucking bastard. 
 
Though he was doing what Kikyo had asked of him, so why was he feeling so guilty? Kagome was growing to trust him more and more. Soon she would willingly help him get the jewel, and even if he wasn't sure about the mate thing now, he knew the jewel would make Kikyo happy. 
 
So why wasn't that as satisfying as it usually was?
 
“But you have to be honest with me Inuyasha. You edit a lot of your answers, and I want full disclosure. Whether it's about your life, or Kikyo or demonkind.” Kagome added quickly. 
 
Inuyasha nodded, thumb rubbing her wrist. “I can do that.” he lied. 
 
A grin blossomed on Kagome's face. “That's great.” she threw her arms around his neck  happily while Inuyasha felt like crawling under a rock and dying. 
 
Instead of dying, he practically crushed her to his chest. “You're too good Kag.” Especially when it would only lead to her getting hurt. 
 
He felt her grin into his neck, “You're just lucky my mother told me to give you a second glance.” 
 
Inuyasha's chin nearly hit the top of her head. Her mother talked? But Kikyo said-
 
Kagome pulled back abruptly to look up at him, interrupting his thoughts. “She won't always be able to convince me, Inuyasha. So don't screw up like that again. I might not be so good.”
 
...damn it, how could he do this to her?
 
He nodded, his hair brushing over their shoulders. “But you'll always be good mate.” he said, hoping the flirting would distract him from the dangerous thoughts swirling around in his head.
 
She laughed, settling back down on her pillows. “Do you want to go out this afternoon then? Souta will be in school and Gramps will be visiting another temple.” 
 
Inuyasha eased himself down next to her, throwing an arm across her stomach. Even though he was lower then scum, he needed to touch her. Especially now that her ribs were healed and he could stop being so careful. “Actually, my brother and sister-in-law wants us over for a visit.”
 
Her eyes went wide. “You found your brother? Inuyasha, that's great news!”
 
He probably shouldn't mention Sess had found him. “Do you mind? You're feeling better right?”
 
“Of course! I'm good. I can't wait to meet them! When are they coming?” 
 
“He said he would send a car.” Inuyasha eyed her, wondering if she was telling the truth about being fine. She still looked pale. “Go back to sleep mate.” he nestled his head into the crook of her neck, kissing her pulse absently. He'd get her some more soup while he was getting Souta up for school, and after she had slept for awhile longer. He sighed into her skin. He wished there was some kind of guide to taking care of a miko mate. Taking care of her was so nerve-wracking, and he wasn't even sure he was doing it right.
 
He cuddled closer into her side. Inuyasha had held Kikyo like this once. He was surprised by how much more comfortable Kagome's shoulder seemed to be. 
 
Just before she drifted off, Kagome's hand wriggled into Inuyasha's. In between the crevices from where their fingers joined, colored light began to swirl and glitter. 
 
-----------------------------------------
 
Sango stroked downwards on the hard surface, an awed look on her face as she applied more force.
 
“Can you look any more intent?” Miroku asked dryly, briefly glancing over at her. He was really happy she was happy, but he was also starting to feel a bit neglected. 
 
She didn't look up, focusing on the cloth in hand. “I missed doing this.” she admitted, so happy she could hardly feel the ache in her arms. 
 
Almost sighing in pleasure, she smoothed her hand over the freshly polished gleam of her boomerang. She thought she would never have the chance to prepare her Hirakotsu for battle again. “I can't wait to tear Kikyo's head from her body with this edge.”
 
“You don't want to use your sword?” 
 
Sango frowned, absently flicking her finger across the bone's sharp edge. She'd spent enough time with that sword. “I just have to bathe the blade in her blood I think.” Then she would be free. “I have to convince Inuyasha to lead me to her and it'll all be over.”
 
“I know I have no right to say this to you but Sango, I don't want you to do it.” 
 
She didn't look up. “You're right. You have no right whatsoever.” she agreed calmly. 
 
“But I'm saying it anyway. I don't want you to be the one to kill Kikyo.” Miroku continued. 
 
“Too bad.”
 
“Damn it Sango! I'm not ready to lose you yet!” 
 
For the first time, Sango looked up cooly. “We might be under a slight truce but you've never had me. So there's nothing to be lost.”
 
“It's more then a truce!” Miroku snapped, feeling sick to his stomach at the thought of losing her. “I want to be with you Sango, even if it's only as your punching bag. Ask anything of me, just not this.” 
 
A chill settled over the room. Sango considered him for a moment, as if wondering where he came from. “I have been alive 500 years longer then I should have.” she said slowly. “My friends and family have been dead for centuries, and I don't know how to live in this era, or what to live for. I am tired Miroku. My duty is the only reason I've survived so far. Why would I give up my own chance to rest?”
 
Miroku leaned closer to her on their couch, crowding her against the cushion because he was unable to stand the distance she was trying to put between them. “Then let me give you a reason to live.” He breathed against her lips before crushing his mouth over hers.
 
Sango gasped, before curling her fingers over his shoulders and melted into him, clutching at him desperately. 
 
A spark of dark satisfaction shot through Miroku. Even when she was certain she wanted to leave him, she still couldn't deny the pull between them. Maybe he still had a chance, in spite of what she claimed.
 
Still kissing her, he pulled her hair tie loose, growling in approval when her dark strands fell down, filling his hands. Absently, he felt the mark on his palm tingling, but instead of looking he pushed Sango to her back, head cradled by his hands, covering her with his body possessively. 
 
It had never been like this between them. Even when he was being a stupid bastard, he'd always let her lead and dominate their sexplay. But now he wanted to crouch over her and kiss and nibble and suck and lick and bite and take and bind her to him until it was impossible for her to leave. Until all she thought about was his fingers, mouth and cock taking her over and over again. Her taste was making his head buzz, and he wanted her to feel as out of control as he was.
 
“Sango. Meld with me.” he growled, his voice roughened by the way her hips moved restlessly under him. He let her head settle on the couch pillow to cup her neck, his other hand moving down to intertwine with one of hers. For a hardened warrior, she had the softest skin he'd ever felt. He could hold her for hours and never get bored. 
 
Her pulse thudded wildly against his palm. He smirked against her mouth when her fangs brushed his lip, nearly splitting the skin. Miroku pulled away from her kiss, brushing his own over her face. He tasted the demonic marks blooming across her sharp cheekbones, looking up to catch her eyes gone black with want.
 
“Meld with me baby.” he entreated again, the hand on her neck sliding down.
 
She hissed when his big palm cupped her breast, plumping and shaping the mound through her shirt. She arched her back, pushing herself further into him instead of melding like he asked.
 
Miroku frowned slightly at her silent refusal. There was no way she could hide she enjoyed this. If she wouldn't show him this way, he would make her show him in another.
 
She growled at him when he got off her, her fangs bared and gleaming. She went to lunge for him, only to get swept up into his arms. She purred against his neck, cuddling close to him as he strode to his bedroom.
 
He would leave her so satisfied and sated, she wouldn't be able to move, much less walk away from him.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
 
Kagome stood under the hot water and just closed her eyes, never imaging the feel of a shower could be so heavenly. Between getting her ribs broken and taking her little trip into Sango's mind, Kagome hadn't really been able to bathe.
 
And as fun as it was, getting licked by Inuyasha so did not count. 
 
She tilled her head back, letting her hair get good and wet before reaching for the shampoo. Half of it was already gone even though she had opened it only a week ago. She really needed to convince Inuyasha he didn't need to use so much. It wasn't fair that he had nicer hair then hers anyway.
 
She smiled slightly, thinking of Inuyasha. She felt like they were on their way to a real relationship. While she hadn't wanted it at first, now that she was getting use to him, it felt right. Like something worth well. 
 
And there was also her lack of a real choice in the matter. So she might as well make the most of it. And it wasn't like Inuyasha was a horrible beast. Especially now that he hadn't been playing as Super Stud as much-
 
She nearly slipped on the wet tile when the bathroom door slammed open, startling her. “I'm in here you little-”
 
“Of course I know you're in here mate.” Inuyasha interrupted. “No need to pierce my eardrums. And Souta's at school. Because there's no way you'd call me a `little' anything.” 
 
Yanking the shower curtain back enough so she could poke her head out, she glared at Inuyasha while he leaned lazily against the sink. “If you knew that, why are you here?”
 
Shivers crept down her spine when he sent her a long, slow, sexy smirk. “I was hoping you might need help washing your back...or your front.”
 
“Inuyasha-!”
 
He sighed and boosted himself up to sit on the counter. “Chill out mate, I just wanted to talk. And it's not like I can see anything through the curtain anyway.” 
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes and looking down quickly to see if he was telling the truth she drew the curtain back and picked the shampoo bottle back up. “And we need to talk while I'm taking a shower?”
 
“Seemed as good a place as any. Plus I wanted to be here if you lost your balance again-”
 
“That was only because I tripped over your stupid shoes! Not because I'm still weak!”
 
“-and Sess only said `this afternoon' so I have no idea when the bastard actually intends to show up...or when he'll send his car.”
 
“I'll get ready to go as soon as I'm done here then. Was there anything else?”
 
She knew Inuyasha couldn't see her through the screen, but she swore she could still feel his eyes roving over her skin. “Do you remember that promise I made you mate?” Inuyasha purred and her heart immediately sped up.
 
Swallowing, she set the shampoo bottle back down. “The one about not touching the microwave again?” She was still trying to scrap the oatmeal off the ceiling.
 
“Try again.”
 
Nervously, she half heartedly rubbed her hair. “You won't steal the silverware Gramps has locked up?”
 
Inuyasha sighed and she heard the bathroom counter's drawers open and close. “You're being deliberately forgetful, mate.”
 
“I don't know what you're getting at.” she shot back, wondering why his voice sounded so much closer. “You said you just wanted to talk.”
 
“This is talking, isn't it? Exchanging words back and forth?”
 
“You implied a conversation.” Not making her heart pound and goosebumps break out over her skin.
 
...oh crap...She didn't have her broken ribs to hide behind this time.
 
And that's when the room went dark.