InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Six Feet Under ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: As we all know I don't own Inuyasha, but I do own Walk of Destiny & Choice of Destiny---the reason I always write this is to be stupid, I guess.

Walk of Destiny

By angelwings1

Chapter 4 ~ Six Feet Under

`Why?!'

It was the most insane, irrational question, a sinister echo pressing against her skull, `Why darn it?'

She wanted to scream, tear out hair, anything before she exploded. A painful winding was tightening in her chest ready to break her in the vulnerable second she would stop running.

So her feet keep forward. Her eyes slid close as she threw her head back. The trees fell behind her, separating her from the village.

`This can't be it!'

Every ounce of blood spewed fire, igniting her. It was too hot, but she couldn't stop now. If she stopped it would catch up with her. It would overpower her, and force her to see the truth.

`I was destined to be a miko.'

She let out the hoarse screech, toppling to the ground. When her knees hit she immediately buried her face into the grass, `I can't believe it! I won't!'

Tucking her legs beneath her, she cried in the soft grass. The tears escaped with confusing ease as she laid there in a fetal position, like a five-year-old. The ground felt strangely solid as the world spun. Trembling sobs raked her body as her arm dragged over her face to block the stabbing sunlight.

`Why am I crying?'

`What's wrong with being a Miko?'

`I'm replacing her.'

`You can never replace Kaede.'

`I'm replacing Kikyo. I'm continuing where she left off.'

`You are different. Sharing the same soul, does not make you her.'

`I was reincarnated from Kikyo's soul. She died, and when a soul is not worthy to enter heaven it is reborn on earth to get another chance to prove itself. I am Kikyo's second chance.'

`You are not Kikyo.'

`Am I sure? We do have the same soul.'

`But you are a new creation. Upon rebirth, the spirit is given a new chance at life, a clean slate to be whoever it wants to be. Yes, your life is parallel to Kikyo, but you have the will of Kagome, not Kikyo.'

`No.'

`You both love Inuyasha, but she loved him only if he became human. You love him because of who he is.'

`He won't see that.'

`Give him time.'

`He will see her if I take Kaede's offer. He will never see me. It will just show he will never have room in his heart for me.'

`He will see. He already does.'

`You're wrong.'

`Are you sure? If you do this, you will finally distinguish yourself from her. Once he sees you in the robes of a priestess, and your personality erupts, he will not see her face any longer in you.'

`What if he still sees her?'

`At least you'll know he can never see you as anything other than Kikyo's reincarnation.'

Her eyes snapped open and noticed the pair of small feet laying in her view. She blinked several times as she followed the feet up the colorful orange kimono to the young face of a twelve year old girl.

`Black hair, green eyes, cute face.'

"Destiny?" the woman gasped, quickly rising, "Destiny, is that you? You look quite older even though it has only been a few short weeks since I last saw you."

Sweeping a soft hand over her yellow bandanna, the child nodded, "It is I. My appearance is due to my abilities."

`That's right. This isn't her actually form. She's some sort of immortal. Stupid Kagome, how could you forget something like that?'

Immediately the girl covered her giggle with both hands, `Don't worry it's a normal reaction.'

The time traveler blinked repeatedly, "You spoke into my mind. That was you I was arguing with?"

Destiny grinned, "Who else did you think it was?"

Kagome blushed sheepishly. She wasn't really sure who she thought had answer. S had automatically replied to the voice because she was too upset to notice. Darn emotions.

"So what shall you do now?" Destiny questioned, her eyes staring curiously at the destined miko.

"I don't know" Kagome feebly whispered.

They stood apart, silent. Both of their minds were running wild.

"I thought I would never see you again" Destiny spoke evenly. It was unexpected. Their eyes connected, "I'm not supposed to be here."

Her stomach decided to drop even farther, "What?"

The wind picked up, flowing against their rich, black hair and soft clothes. Destiny's eyes were hard, "Your destiny was set. I could see you living a life of happiness, no regrets."

Kagome bit her lip.

The small child shook her head, tears filling her eyes, "Sadly, consequences always follow a choice, and you must walk through fire."

The priestess trembled under the frightened gaze of the girl, her earlier panic forgotten and replaced with new mounting fear, "I'm not sure I understand."

"KAGOME!"

The yell rang over the treetops snapping the wall between them. Destiny lazily glanced in the direction of the village, where his voice had bellowed. The earlier fear was absent when Kagome saw her eyes again. Now there was only calm focus.

"Tread carefully, Higurashi" Destiny whispered her tone urgent, "This is not the time to be slipping."

And she was gone.

Kagome was locked in her stance, eyes blinking at the empty spot.

"Kagome!"

She immediately whirled around and faced the hanyou just as he crashed into the clearing. His face was wild, searching her frantically, "Are you alright?"

Her eyes accidentally glanced behind her, lingering on the empty spot Destiny had once occupied. Assuming she was avoiding his eyes, Inuyasha crossed the distance between them, "You're upset."

`Great observation, Einstein.'

Her view stared at the ground separating him, "Why did you come after me?"

It was definitely a hint to leave her alone. She wasn't in the mood to talk, or in the mood to fight.

His feet shifted weight, "You were crying."

`Smelt my tears, my fear.'

She couldn't avoid the trembling in her chin, "I'm fine."

What a lie.

"Kagome?" his tone was soft, worried, "What happened?"

Eyes caught, and she knew she was cornered. He could read her so well.

Within the awkward wait, one could easily tell she was fighting for decision. She didn't want to explain. She didn't want to pull out the skeleton of their relationship.

But, he wanted to help her.

She could see it in his eyes, in his posture. He would not turn away from her when she was upset. He was here to lend whatever help he could.

He was being a friend.

"I . . ."

"I'm replacing Kikyo."

Immediately her lips pressed shut. She wouldn't tell him that.

He frowned, worried.

"I . . ."

`What do you say?'

"I . . ."

`Kaede offered me her position as Head Priestess of the village. She wants me to continue her lineage, but I don't want to. I don't want to take the spot Kikyo once had. I don't want you to ever see me again as Kikyo. I'm Kagome! Kagome!'

The young time traveler flinched when Inuyasha leaned forward, "Why are you still crying?"

She quickly rubbed her cheeks; feeling the new tears, "Just let it go, Inuyasha. It's nothing you can help with."

Automatically his expression jerked and his ambers became glassy.

She froze. She had hurt him.

"Why can't you trust me?" he viciously accused. His face was set in a fiery glower.

Kagome blinked, "Trust you? Trust has nothing to do with it, Inuyasha."

"Yes it does" he shouted, scaring the birds into flight. Wings flapped in their ears, and the dimming sunlight danced over them. He took a step forward shoving his angry snarl into her personal space, "You trust someone when you are able to talk to them. You've been closing yourself off for the last week. Something been bothering you, but you act as if nothing's wrong."

Ok, maybe it was a weak excuse to shout at her and she understood he was hurt by what she said, but he had no right to get pissed off at her.

"Look who's talking!" she screeched, "This is coming from the guy who won't even acknowledge his old girlfriend is dead and can't go on with his life."

It was like a bomb had exploded.

The echo swallowed the scene, stilling all sound except for her racing heart.

Her chin trembled, "Inuyasha, I-"

"Shut up!"

Her brain went numb. All she could see was the betrayal in his foggy eyes.

He stumbled backwards, "Just shut up!"

`I did this.'

He scrambled back as her fingers touched his sleeve, "Don't touch me!"

"Inuyasha, I-"

"Just go back!"

Something snapped inside her chest, collapsing.

She watched as his gaze turned to stone, piercing through her bosom.

"Go back to where you belong!" his eyes pinched shut, disgusted.

_______________________________________________

His ancient eyes surveyed the passageway. Obviously his sight was not phased by the years he had accumulated. Shiro lowered his massive head as he passed under a particular low stone arch.

"I must say she will not be pleased with your presence" his guide grumbled, "I doubt she will be civil."

Shiro gave a lazy smirk, "I would expect no less."

A gold eye glanced backwards, "Yet you still insist on seeing her. You must be retiring."

The elder decided not to respond.

Kurso scowled, his eyes narrowing on the noble with growing suspension. His usual silly face matured, stretching into grim angles, "One small toe out of line, Shiro, and I won't even wait for my Lady's permission."

He didn't need to hear anymore of an explanation. If Kurso believed Shiro was here for alterative motives, he would lay down his life for his lady. Should Kurso attack, Shiro knew he would be at a fatal disadvantage. He would have few options once Lady Sakura transformed. He knew her chambers were too small for him to effectively evade attacks. She and Kurso would make easy pickings of his worn flesh. He doubted he could escape such a situation.

That was the only reason why Kurso was bringing him to see her. Shiro had to play by their rules.

Kurso froze the moment he stepped under the doorway, his gold eyes darting over the shadowy chamber. It was too dark to see her, but she could feel her presence lingering near the back.

`Now to see what you will do.'

He pulled back his shoulders and lifted his voice, "My lady, I, your loyal guard and servant, has come to you with a request."

His words swelled throughout the granite walls, vibrating their limbs. Shiro stood just outside the chamber. This room would be his undoing.

For several moments they stood, not daring to move. Yet there came no answer.

The smaller demon respectfully bowed his head, "Lord Shiro of the South requests to speak with you."

Silence repeated. Still shadows watched the two demons with growing tension.

Gold eyes locked on stillness. Heat bulged throughout his blood.

She was there.

"Why should I speak to you?"

Direct, to the point, and not given proper acknowledgement to his title, yep, that was her.

Shiro slid a heavy foot into the room, placing himself in immediate danger.

His lengthy neck rolled upwards, his muscles tightening for anything, "Naraku is dead."

"All know that!" her roar shoved the air against him, his long mane flapping wildly, "His death sparks the end of our race. If he had not been so greedy, we might have had another century."

Muffled howls broke from behind the walls just as a sudden burst of wind whirled through the room. Dust crept over the cold floor, running between their claws. Frightened by his master's anger, Kurso backed towards the doorway, using the elder's gigantic body as a wall to hide behind.

Warmth flooded the stale room as small flames mounted oiled wicks. In half a breath, a hundred candles, contained inside scattered crevices along the wall, were lit. Six square pillars, smudged with symbols written in blood, carried the low ceiling. Assorted and various weapons hung from the stone walls, their metal haunting in the flickering candlelight.

In the very center of the empty floor, she sat, her golden eyes pointed on the dragon demon intruding her private chamber. The symbol of her house glared in red from her ebony chest plate, the immediate focus. Her long white hair, pulled into a traditional samurai band except for lengthy bangs splitting at her brow, spilt over her back contrasting with her armor. Her kimono was a heavenly white (slightly dimmer than her hair) covered in purple bands. Reddish-pink floral whirled elegantly over the fabric.

Shiro sucked in a deep breath when he saw her beauty had never aged. He had seen her centuries ago, yet there was not even a wrinkle. Her purple-striped face was gracefully angled, emphasizing her high cheek bones and slanted eyes. Her pointed ears were a gift from her father, a jackal demon, but the circle on her forehead came from her mother, a dog demon.

Sakura arched her back, fingertips spread against the floor, "Naraku was drawing their attention. Given enough time they would have pursued him, but they would have lost half their clan to him. We would have been able to overtake them after that. Now, however, they have grouped together and started a new crusade."

His blood froze, "Crusade? They're starting a holy war?"

"It's perfect timing" she hissed angrily while staring at the floor, "With Naraku gone they need only worry about the four lords. Take out the supports and the roof will cave in."

He watched her hands curled into fists, knuckles turning white. Pent up rage began to tremble from her shoulders. Gradually she began to lean forward, her toothy snarl reflecting in the marble.

Shiro flinched at the unthinkable; her eyes held fear.

Never in his knowledge of her did he recall a moment of fear. She was a rock.

Her nose crinkled in a sickened snarl, "Kala is dead. Her son, Aki, has taken her role as Lord of East."

"Impossible" he barked, furiously shaking his head, "Lady Kala is the strongest one in her house."

"Was" she quietly corrected, glaring at her guest, "They killed her short of dawn two morns past. They used the Ritual of the Hasu Ly (the Pure Blade)."

All ability to speak fled him as he watched her push the floor.

"Aki came to me this eve" she looked into his eyes, "They're heading west, but they have already left quite a slaughter in his inherited land. He's concerned, as should we be. They are not just out to kill a few of us, but all of us."

______________________________________________________________

Covered in the tear soaked dirt, Kagome was curled on the floor of the Bone Eater's well. The echo of her broken sobs covered her ears. A spot of ground was turned up, her red hand stroking the small crater.

"Momma . . ."

"Souta . . . Grandpa . . ."

She drew her hand back to her chest, "I want to go home. Please, I want to go home!"

If she had ever crumbled, it was nothing compared at that moment laying meters deep in the world. Her body clenched in convulsions, "They should shovel dirt over me and make this a landfill."

`Go back to where you belong!'

Her face cowered in the dirt, `I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, Inuyasha! I didn't mean it! I take it back!'

She couldn't get the face he made out of her mind.

Betrayal . . .

The potent look he gave revealed how vulnerable he had been for the last few days. She shouldn't have lashed out at him. He was having as much, if not more, trouble dealing with the change.

`I was selfish. I should have been worried why he was avoiding me, not thinking I knew.'

A relationship was two people. She couldn't be only worried about herself.

Not that it mattered anymore.

Any chance for them to be together was shot and buried.

`I'm sick of everything. I just want to go home, to never have passed through this well!'

________________________________________________________

Her strides were slow and calculated as she approached the larger demon. Shiro kept his eye on her, but he was not concerned about being attacked.

"We must take action" she commanded, "The sooner before our numbers grow too small."

He glared, "You act as if you are in charge."

She snorted, "At this point, Shiro, I don't care who's in charge as long as action is taken. I will not watch us be exterminated because we were too slow."

Jaws clenched, the dragon gave her a look that spoke warnings of defiance if she tried to control him. He lowered his broad head to her level. Even though his head alone was the size of her full body he was wary, "So what do you suggest?"

The mistress smiled evenly, "If they want to take out the strongest of us first, than we'll do the same."

"You want to hit them head on?" he asked, unsure.

Her smile slid into a smirk, "Not exactly on the same lines your thinking. I want to take out the biggest threat there is, not just in their clan."

His lips pulled upwards, his fangs revealed, "You want to hunt the miko that killed Naraku."

Her eyebrows jumped suggestively, "I already have the Lord of the West, my son, handling it. He has dealt with her on several occasions. As long as he can catch her when she is not in the company of his half-brother, he should be able to do the job."