InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Brick Wall ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Well, it's coming to an end… my story has about two to three chapters left. I'm growing excited. Oh, yeah… I don't own Inuyasha. ~
 
 
 
 
Walk of Destiny
By angelwings1
Edited By Kelli G
 
 
Chapter 16 ~ Brick Wall
 
The summer morning was the hottest yet that year, and Sango knew it the moment she felt the sunlight graze her face. Her pale cheeks were soon rosy under the bright light, and she quickly tried to escape the heat by turning her back to it. A few heartbeats later the sun had risen fully, and the sunlight was now across her shoulders, making her clothes suddenly itchy and moist. Half awake now, the huntress slurred a few curses at the person who forgot to close the window shade. Fighting with the twisted sheets, Sango rolled off her mat and crawled the two feet between herself and the window to pull the shade into place.
Once the cool darkness swallowed her and she had flopped back onto her bed, Sango vainly tried to drift off to sleep again. Hours of preparing beds in the small kitchen and the extra bedroom had completely drained her. By now, the wolves probably needed help preparing some breakfast, but all she could care about was her head hitting the pillow again.
With that resolved, the slayer pressed her face back into her mat, mumbling another curse too low for the other sleepers to hear. Sighing, Sango pushed her nose deeper into the bedding.
She would have easily fallen asleep if it hadn't been for the tiny flutter of panic in her heart. There was something wrong…
She groaned angrily at her mind's buzzing. What was it?
Shippo and Kilala were back on their feet. They didn't need to be tended to.
Rin was still asleep a few mats away from her.
Miroku was probably tending to the barrier by now.
Kagome—
Sango snapped awake and jerked to her knees. Her heart skipped at the thought of her friend. The hallway appeared well-lit behind the curtain; Kagome was probably up and preparing breakfast. The silence, however, made her stomach twist tighter.
`Stop getting excited over nothing! She's probably being quiet so she won't wake us.'
Yet she pulled to her feet and quietly padded her way to the kitchen. `There's nothing wrong.'
Careful not to wake the others, Sango gripped the door tightly and pushed it open. For half a breath, she thought she saw Kagome hunched over the pit fire, tending to the kettle. But it was just a desperate hope. In reality, there was nothing there except a dozen lonely mats and cold ash.
Her heart sank, and her eyes snapped to the second bedroom, wishing Kagome would come stumbling in, half-asleep, as she always did at daybreak. After several long minutes, standing motionless in the center of the kitchen, Sango finally stepped towards the door.
Heart fluttering, Sango yanked back the curtain and faced her mounting horror. She could barely hear the paper blinds crinkling in her feverish grip. `Don't worry. She's out. That's all. She went to help Miroku.'
After fully convincing her nerves to settle down, Sango suddenly heard Miroku's shout as he approached the front of the house. “KAGOME!”
She turned around as he burst inside. Her heart was pounding in her chest by the time he saw her.
`Tell me you've seen her. Tell me she's okay.'
“Have you seen her?” he gasped.
 
[88888]
 
Even though the priestess had exchanged odd, stiff blue pants and strange shoes for her robes and sandals, this was definitely the woman he had been waiting for.
Smiling, Rashu quickly straightened. “Lady Kagome. Thank you for coming.”
Kagome quietly strode into his makeshift throne room, keeping her eyes solely on him. She wasn't here because he had sent for her.
Suddenly, Rashu noticed the red haori that swallowed her large frame. After spotting the worn sheath at her side, Rashu realized it was the hanyou's property she now wore like trophies.
“I see you finally got rid of him,” he sneered, his contempt plain. “I didn't think it would take so long, but I understand demons are experts at manipulation. Even Midoriko had problems with their dealings.”
“I didn't come here because I think what you're doing is right,” she said coldly, crossing her arms.
Rashu contemplated her from across the room. Maybe he had underestimated her yet again.
“You may think I came here to help you,” she began, rubbing Tessiaga's hilt with her thumb, “but I have other reasons.”
Heaving a deep, irritated sigh, the priest turned his back to her. He should have known it wouldn't be so easy. Grinding his teeth, he sank into his throne. “So you came to bargain, did you? For what, exactly?”
“I've already told you to stay out of my village,” she replied curtly. “I meant that. My village is not your war zone. Once this is over, you will escort your little army out of my fields, and you will not look back.”
He leaned forward menacingly. “You think I'm just going to overlook the demons there?" he growled. "I heard you're now housing nearly three hundred wolves, a small army of your own lying in wait to attack us!”
“Leave them alone!” she snapped. “If you don't, I'll--”
“You'll what?!” he interrupted, leaping from his seat. Kagome drew back slightly, surprised at his agression. “What will you do?” he pressed. “Keep your village locked behind that barrier forever?”
“I'll never join your war,” she replied hastily. “You won't be able—to...”
“What were you thinking by coming here?” he laughed, narrowing his sight on her like a predator would on prey. “Are you really so arrogant as to think I could never defeat their army without your help?”
Kagome's mouth snapped shut, her heart wavering under his intense gaze. His endless scrutiny unnerved her, and her mouth was suddenly dry. How had the tables turned so easily?
“I don't need you,” she heard him say. “You may have taken down the greatest demon alive, but I have killed a great demon also, Lady Aki of the East.”
Rashu grinned brilliantly, putting her in mind of the cat that had swallowed the canary. “So you see, my dear lady, your presence is hardly required.”
Playing with the hem of her shirt sleeve from nervous habit, the miko studied him. “Then why did you send for me in the first place?”
The priest didn't falter. “Your alliance is favorable, Lady Kagome, not necessary.”
"But if I sided with the demons, then my presence would become important, wouldn't it, Rashu?”
His smile slipped away in seconds, and Kagome was suddenly exhilarated. `Game point.'
“You would never do that,” he replied, his voice careful, measuring.
“Why not?” A defiant gleam in her brown eyes. “I would fight right beside Inuyasha then, as I always have.”
By now, he could sense her closing in, the finally blow high and ready. He frantically sought his brain for some way to stop her, some way to counter her control over the conversation.
“You need me. Admit it.”
 
 
[888888]
 
“You bedded a human?!” Shiro screeched, his fangs snapping angrily. “You disgrace our whole race!”
“You've ripped apart the honor of our house!” Sakura roared, surprisingly louder than the gigantic serpent. “Tell me, is that why you could not kill the miko? Because she was the mother of your child?!”
Sesshoumaru stared at his mother, then glanced at the hundreds of demons rallying behind her, and remained silent. The crowd's rage bubbled dangerously, flying through their veins and whetting their appetites.
Stamping her feet, Sakura threw back her head and spat at the ground. “You bastard! I should kill you!”
“Don't act as if you are surprised, Sakura!” Shiro shouted, wheeling on her as quickly as he had on her son. “Your house is rank with human blood!”
Sakura faced off with the dragon lord. “May I remind you, Shiro, that I killed my mate for his crime, and for the shame he brought upon our houses? I shall take responsibility once more, and kill the object of my disgrace!”
“Nay!” the dragon interrupted with a dark smile. “By law, the head of the house takes responsibility for the actions of the children by way of suffering punishment.”
“I'd like to see how an old snake like you could possibly strike such young prey,” she snapped, even as she moved out of his range.
It was a bluff. Even if he was the oldest demon around, he was not in the least bit slow, and neither were the twin cats.
Shiro eagerly crawled forward, his dark tongue running across his smooth fangs as Sakura lowered her own body defensively. They lunged for one another, but in a flicker of movement, Inuyasha appeared and clamped down on the dragon's neck. Using his weight for leverage, the gigantic demon dog threw himself forward, ramming Shiro's snout into the ground.
The demons parted instantly. Inuyasha stood in the center, growling, with Shiro rearing up from the attack, eyes red with fury. The old demon slowly eased backwards, his sight on the hanyou. “It will take more than your dog to stop me from killing you, Sakura.”
Protected by her mutt, Sakura grinned darkly and reached out to run her long nails through his fur. Her grin grew even more devilish as she admired her pale fingers against his white coat. `The perfect soldier... driven completely by instinct to protect the pack.'
Then it hit her. It was stupidly simple, but it was enough to keep her alive.
Looking to the dragon, Sakura carefully edged around Inuyasha. “I just realized something, Shiro.”
His eyes darted to her as the crowd stood, deathly silent.
“My death would be your biggest mistake yet,” she declared loudly, making sure every beast in the field heard.
The dragon's growl bounced off the trees, vibrating like thunder. "And why is that?”
She chuckled. “Kill me, and you kill your chances to win this war.”
 
[88888]
 
Sango plowed after Miroku, the orange sunrise beating down on their flushed faces. Several of the villagers called to them, but they waved them off.
With the mud slick from the morning dew, their boots slid precariously, but they didn't slow as they rounded the last house. Throwing out their arms to keep their balance, the pair finally arrived at their destination, breathing hard.
Sango stared at the edge of the barrier, mouth open in silent shock. There were at least a hundred demons of every size and shape outside, voices crying out and meshing together into wild, incoherent noise.
“What do they want?” she asked, covering her ears to block out the crowd's sudden uproar. Obviously, they'd been seen.
Miroku shook his head, panting heavily. “You won't believe it.”
Sango looked to him, eyebrows raised. “What?”
His eyes twinkled brightly as a grin crept onto his weary face. “They all want sanctuary.”
Her astonished gaze snapped back to the crowd as his words sunk in. “Just like Kouga and the wolves!” Sango stared at the demons, her mind whirring. `Kagome, where are you?'
 
[88888]
 
Kagome's harsh breath burned in her chest, and her eyes stung, but she wasn't really paying attention to that. She had been up for nearly thirty-six hours straight; it was only natural that her body had started to protest. Her muscles wanted rest, not to be standing at the top of a hill at sunrise. But she didn't move.
She was waiting for the battle to begin.
Rashu planned to attack as soon as his army was rallied. Soon the horn would blare, and the soldiers would file out towards the forest, where scouts had found the demons organized.
`It's like some bad movie…'
Her eyes watered up, but she wasn't sure if it was from exhaustion or her own inner turmoil. Soon there were two tear tracks making their way through the dust on her skin, mingling with her sweat.
`I'm scared.'
Sweeping her hands up her arms, Kagome hugged herself. Feeling Inuyasha's shirt between her fingers was slightly comforting. It had been so complicated before. Now all of the lines were crossing each other, tangling into a fearful mess.
`What am I doing?'
She thought she knew. She had spent the last two nights planning, going over every possible option. It had led her here.
It was completely illogical and irrational, but there was nothing else she could do.
To stay wouldn't help. If the demons won, they would attack the village next and come for her. Sakura was afraid of her, but once she had proven her army worthy by killing a hundred powerful mikos and monks, she would be eager to challenge her. And if the humans, won they would come for the demons in the village, even Shippo and Kilala, all in the name of holy duty.
`I have no other choice.'
Hanging her head, Kagome laughed bitterly. “Choice… what a joke…”
The wind played softly with her hair, seeming to plead with her, but she shoved aside the reassurance. “You said destiny involved choices. You said we don't live out our lives through fate alone!”
Her eyes darted back and forth over the field as her voice grew louder. “You said I had a choice! But there isn't one! There never was!”
The minutes ticked by slowly, and Kagome grew tired of the silence. Her chest heaved painfully as she pressed her palms hard into her cheeks, clawing away the tracks her tears had made.
“You always knew, didn't you?”
Kagome's heart raced at the sound of the child's voice.
“You knew your destiny would never be a happy one.”
Kagome's gaze found the child immediately. In that same breath, Destiny walked out from between the stalks of corn that covered the field, her long white kimono strikingly beautiful against the deep green of the leaves. She seemed no older than the last time Kagome had seen her, but she was certain the child's eyes appeared wiser. `Didn't she say I would not see her again?'
Destiny strolled casually up the hill, her eyes never breaking from the miko's. “You tried to fight it, but you always knew that you would have to bear it when the time came.”
Kagome's heart squeezed at her words, a resounding `yes' echoing in her mind.
Destiny smiled slightly, a sad smile. “You doubted, or more so, hoped you were wrong. But the day you realized Inuyasha would never leave Kikyo, you knew your destiny would never end in 'happily ever after.' ”
It was true. It was all true, and the pain of reliving that moment, the moment she had known she could never be with him, struck her right to the heart. She didn't bother to try and hold back the tears. Destiny had seen her cry before.
The small child watched the woman silently, acting as if she was waiting for Kagome to explain herself. But how could she explain something so irrational?
When she had given up the jewel's wish to Inuyasha, she had been prepared to leave her life in the Feudal Era behind. But when the well was sealed, she was surprised to find herself still in the past, and Kikyo dead and buried once more. She hadn't wanted to get her hopes up. She didn't want to get hurt again...but why else would he have wished for her to stay in his time, unless he truly cared for her?
`Who wouldn't have thought that?'
The child's intense eyes clouded her mind, and Kagome had to turn away to escape the suffocating gaze. Her body felt heavy as she turned to face the white tents below the opposite side of the hill. Her eyelids drooped weakly as she tried to find the strength to stop crying.
Destiny's feet crunched softly in the dry grass as she stood directly alongside the miko. She watched the miko carefully from the corner of her eye, silently watching as Kagome wiped away the tears.
Destiny glanced downward suddenly, and when she spoke again, her voice was quieter. “You don't know who you are anymore. That's why you no longer wear the robes of a priestess.”
Her words were hard to listen to. She knew it was true, but she didn't want to think about that right now. Kagome decided not to answer, afraid a new wave of tears would break her. The young girl kept quiet for a few moments before accepting the silence as an affirmative response.
“You thought for a moment that becoming a priestess would bring you closer to him,” Destiny murmured, though less assured of herself this time. “At first you thought it would make him see you more as Kikyo, but then you thought it might actually make you see you better. Now, you've found out just how wrong you were.”
“I wasn't wrong,” Kagome hissed beneath her breath, suddenly angry. “He doesn't see me as Kikyo.”
Destiny ignored her. “You knew you were Kikyo's reincarnation. You could never deny it, not since the day that witch used part of your soul to bring Kikyo back to life. Besides, there were far too many similarities between the two of you, and not just your physical appearances. The jewel came to be your responsibility, as it was hers, and you have the same powers with which to protect it. You're even reliving her life, to a certain extent; Onigumo lusts after you, the dark priestess, Tsubaki, still sought to kill you--”
“I'm not Kikyo!” Kagome cried louder, her fists shaking at her sides. Destiny didn't stop. She had to hear it.
“Now you're facing the same problem she did. You have to face him as an enemy.”
“No!” Kagome shouted. “I'm not going to kill him! I'm going to save him!”
“How?!” Destiny snapped, surprising the young miko with the harshness of her voice. “You don't know what you're doing!”
Chin quivering, Kagome hung her head in shame, her eyes hidden by the shadow of her bangs. `What else am I supposed to do?'
“The demons will strike the moment the sun sets, since humans can barely see in the dark. You may think you'll be able to save him and your village, but even Kikyo couldn't stop an army. Stop trying to be something you're not!”
“What's that?” Kagome whispered, feeling defeated. Destiny looked her over, studying her rough jeans and the fire-rat tunic, and finally looking into the glistening eyes of the time traveler.
Taking a deep breath, the small child hit on the one, true fact Kagome had never voiced to herself: “You're trying to be better than her.”
The sound of a thousand drums filled Kagome's ears as she stared intently at the ground, her mind swimming. Destiny whirled her back to the miko and marched back towards the corn field, her ears fully aware of the gasp that broke from the woman.
Surely that was not the reason why she was doing this! She wasn't risking her life and her village over something so petty. `I have to do this to save him.'
But still, there was a deep gnawing at her heart that kept her from resolving her sorrow.
Becoming a priestess, telling Inuyasha to stay a hanyou, standing on this hill… had it all been because she wanted to prove to him that she was better than his choice?
Or maybe it was to show herself she was better than what he took her for?
 
[88888]
 
“How could word have gotten out that we took in Kouga and the wolves?” Sango grumbled as she pushed pass a crowd of bat youkai. “It's barely been a day, and already a hundred more demons are begging to be let in!”
Miroku nodded beside her, his eyebrow twitching as a second cry blared from the cat tribe. Sango pushed the door aside angrily and strode into the center of the kitchen. Crossing her arms, the demon exterminator cried, “It's one thing to take in a few, but at this rate, the entire village will be overrun! If the youkai were to suddenly attack, we wouldn't have a chance. All would take is one group of angry demons, and we'd be in serious trouble.”
“I know, Sango,” Miroku answered, his teeth grinding tighter with the growing pressure in his skull. “But Kagome would never have sent them away, especially not when several of these clans have helped us in the last few years. No matter how loud and irritating they are, we can't just turn our backs on them.”
Sango's shoulders dropped as she sighed. “You're right, Miroku. I just wish I knew where Kagome was. We've searched the village high and low for her, and with everything going on inside and outside the barrier, no one can go out to look for her.”
The room faded from them, each of them battling the desperate need to go to her. They were a team, and had been for years now. During the course of their travels, each had struck off on their own, determined to keep their friends well away from their troubles. Yet the others had always arrived, willing to take on their burden, even if it meant death. To simply stand there instead of racing towards the battle was like betraying Kagome and Inuyasha.
Seeing his love's distressed gaze on the window, Miroku carefully came up behind the demon exterminator and wrapped his arms around her petite form. Sango trembled in his grip, nearly sobbing as he pressed her into his chest. Although his warmth was comforting, it didn't cover the fear in her heart.
This was so much bigger than Naraku. Kagome was fighting the world, plus her love. She needed someone at her side, willing to shoulder her burden.
Sango's eyes stayed on the setting sun, feeling Miroku press his lips close to her ear.
“Surely there's something we can do, Miroku,” she insisted weakly, even though she knew there was nothing.
His arms pulled her tighter against him, relishing the way she spooned into him. “We can pray for an opportunity to present itself, or hope that Kagome can do this alone.”
Outside, Rin leaned against the doorframe, her eyes filled with tears. Her hands curled together before her eyes, and she silently kissed the intertwined fingers. She prayed dearly for her friend, hoping she would once again see the kind miko's smile before she returned to her lord. Thus, she quietly asked the supreme being she praised to protect the woman.
“Please, Lord Sesshoumaru, watch over Lady Kagome.”
 
[88888]
 
Inflamed with a deep rose hue, the weary sun finally kissed the western peak that stabbed the orange sky. Below the vibrant dance of fire, two forces marched to opposing positions with the fields as their dividing wall. Dressed in brilliant white robes, and bearing torches against the approaching night, the humans appeared as heaven's angels, ready for the war against Hell. The sun continued lowering slowly, and shadows stretched dangerously across the land. With each inch the shadows gained, the demons grew bolder, stepping further out into the reddish light to stand proudly against the violet sky.
Kagome was at the center of the crowd, her hand waiting patiently to draw out Tessiaga the second the horns were blown. It was hard to miss her against the wall of people, but the moment they surged forward into the fields of green stalks, she would instantly disappear into the masses.
Heart pounding in her ears, Kagome anxiously went over every fighting move Sango had ever taught her. She knew there would be no one to back her up this time. Even if Sango or Miroku arrived, it would be too difficult to find her in the coming darkness. She prayed her twenty arrows and Inuyasha's sword would keep her alive long enough to free him from Sakura.
Once she found him… she would figure out what to do.
`Go in, find Inuyasha, free him, and get out.'
Nodding to no one in particular, Kagome bit her bottom lip in determination. She would save him, no matter what the cost. Her heart ached to think she might be doing it simply to prove herself worthy of him, but she could not waste her concentration in doubt. His safety alone mattered.
Beside her, Rashu clutched the Hasu Ly blade across his chest, shouting a blessing over his army. Already a hundred dark silhouettes had slinked out of the forest, drawing eagerly towards the night.
Ignoring the cheers that sprung up around her, Kagome pulled her bow off of her shoulder and prayed one last prayer. `God…if you're really there…help me save him.'
Roars abruptly flew up to the sky, and her eyes burst open. All around her a thousand voices rose to meet the demons' cries. Kagome wished the earth would swallow her. `This is it.'
Pushing forward, Kagome struck down the hill, her mouth clamped shut in grim determination. Rashu was only a half a step behind her, and only two steps separated him from his army. Atop the opposing ridge, the black shapes bulged and lurched towards them. Kagome could not tell which figure was Inuyasha.
Her legs grew heavier with each step. Once she entered the shadowy stalks, she realized she had forgotten her heart back on the hill. `Don't be scared.'
The sun hadn't completely disappeared yet, but the corn stalks kept out most of the light, making the long leaves look like golden daggers waving in the dark. She could sense the crowd surging ahead of her, striking out into different rows and knocking through the brush.
Kagome kept her eyes set before her. She didn't even bother to turn her head as the leaves scratched her face. She knew the sun would set at any second, and when that happened, the demons would strike. Even with their torches, the sudden loss of sunlight would disorient them for a few minutes. It would be a moment ripe for attack. Her first concern, however, was not the darkness; it was who she would face while in it.
 
[88888]
 
“This is your last chance,” Sakura growled, her nails digging deep into his arm. Sesshoumaru met her glare silently, knowing full well what this meant. Her eyes flashed a dangerous red, and she turned her face towards the fields. The thousands of torches wavered within the stalks.
The humans were moving.
The miko was with them; Sakura could sense it. Secretly, a part of the dark mistress trembled at the thought of the human hiding out in the darkness. She snapped her eyes back towards her son, her fangs slipping out. “By the time it's all over, your wench had better be dead. Otherwise, I will kill her, your daughter, and you before the next sunset.”
Her words caused a chill to run up Sesshoumaru's spine, though he would never admit to his fear.
“Whatever you say...Mother,” he replied grimly, turning away from her before she could smell his anxiety.
She stared stonily at his profile, irritated by the way he brushed her off. She actually began to hope he wouldn't kill the witch, just so she could have the pleasure of punishing him.
Turning to her other side, the dark mistress raised her hand to the giant dog a few steps behind her. Yanking hard on his ear, the woman brought his red eyes down to her level, earning an angry growl from him.
“Find the priestess and kill her,” she ordered, shoving him in the direction of the oncoming torches. Propelled by her strength, the hanyou launched after the demons that were marching forward to meet the humans. Sakura grinned wickedly as she watched her white hound race into the shadows.
“I thought you wanted me to kill her,” Sesshoumaru stated quietly, not showing a bit of surprise.
Sakura's eyes twinkled in the waning sunlight. “Just a little added catalyst. If you truly care for the woman, you won't hesitate to protect her.”
Sesshoumaru's eyebrows came down in irritation. “You're a fool.”
She chuckled lightly as she whipped back her long, pearly ponytail. “Shall we find out?”
 
 
[8888888]
 
 
The screams rang out at the same moment the sunlight raced away from the field. Kagome froze at the agonizing cries that surrounded her on all sides. Breathing hard, she yanked her bow upwards, pointing it towards every inch of darkness. Licking her dry lips, she desperately tried to slow her breathing. `Calm down. If you panic, then they'll pick you off just as easily.'
Her eyes scrutinized the darkness, being careful not to blink and force her eyes to adjust all over again. `You don't have long. They went for the others first because they stood out. You're not holding a torch or wearing bright clothes, but they'll sense you soon.'
Her anxiety spiked as she heard the growl some yards behind her. She whirled around, her arrowhead dancing back and forth. She couldn't see the demon, though she was positive what direction it was in. Still, Kagome feared to release the arrow. There was a small chance she would hit one of Rashu's men.
Her foot slowly dragged backwards, putting distance between herself and the unknown monster. `More importantly, it could be Inuyasha.'
Another growl suddenly joined the first, this one louder, fiercer, and just a few yards to her left. That automatically earned a gasp from the miko. “Crap!”
She didn't dare step further backwards. There was a good chance they were trying to herd her like a pack of wolves would do. A pair of hungry jaws might be waiting nearby, anticipating her retreat.
The hair on the back of her neck stood on its ends, and Kagome felt as if a thousand eyes were on her. She needed to locate them somehow. Maybe if she tried to sense their demonic auras...
Shifting her weight cautiously, Kagome concentrated on the shadows ahead. It was easy to feel out the demonic auras once she calmed down and focused. There were at least a dozen of them just ahead, but that was all she could make out. The demons were very close together, flowing in between the dozen or so human auras nearby.
This wasn't much help.
Glancing towards her right, Kagome noticed torches dancing nearby. With barely a second thought, Kagome raced towards the firelight, hearing several pairs of feet hurrying after her.
`They're keeping to the shadows. If I can just get closer to the others, I stand a chance.'
Of course, she didn't count on the demons circling ahead to cut her off, bringing her to a screeching halt. As Kagome slid to a stop, she leveled her aim once more. She wasn't quite close enough to see her pursuers, but she could discern a difference in the darkness surrounding her. She guessed she had at least twenty feet before they were on her--hardly anything.
“Come on!” she shouted defiantly. "You want me? Then come and get me!"
A twig snapped close by, and Kagome nearly screamed. Sweat rolled down her brow as she waited for the silence to explode. `Think! Think! Think!'
One of the shadows suddenly shifted, and Kagome grinned happily. Sadly, her grin fell as she reminded herself the shadow could be Inuyasha. “Darn it!”
A row of teeth flashed in the firelight, and she sucked in a deep breath of air. It wouldn't be long before one of them attacked.
`Do you hear the flower?'
Kagome jerked. It was as if Kaede had spoken right beside her. “What?”
`As a priestess, you will find your senses growing more acute. We are attuned to the powers of the spirit. The entire realm beyond the physical is a dream we can almost touch. If you concentrate, you can hear the spirits speak.'
`The spirit realm is endless, but invisible to our weak eyes. A priestess wields the power of her spirit, thus recognizing the world beyond mortal vision.'
Peace suddenly bloomed in the young miko's heart. `See the world beyond mortal vision, huh?'
Kagome obediently closed her eyes, and all her senses became like live wire. She listened to the crackle of leaves, and actually caught the sound of a foot shifting somewhere on her left. Her eyebrows pinched together as she struggled to concentrate further. It was hard to focus when you knew there were at least three or four big demons watching nearby.
Kagome swallowed nervously as she felt the ground quake beneath her. Was it the force of footsteps moving the earth, or was it the spiritual realm she sensed? The wind blew into her face, and for a mere heartbeat, Kagome could have sworn she witnessed a hot ripple crossing before her closed eyes.
`Is that it?'
Another roar broke through her focus, and on reflex, her eyes snapped open. They widened in horror as she noticed the huge, black mass charging her, and without thought, her arrow flew. For half a second, her surroundings were bathed in the glowing pink light of her powers, revealing the handful of demons circling her. Luckily, her fingers were swift at reloading her bow, because the black demon's charge appeared to be a signal for his companions to attack. By then, the darkness had swallowed her world again, and her eyes needed time to readjust. Barely able to see the shadowy forms of the demons, Kagome nearly missed the crucial movement of her next challenger. Crying out in surprise, her new arrow flew straight into the demon's breast, and another flash of rose rolled through the field. Before the darkness swam back into place, Kagome saw the others leap forward.
`God in Heaven!'
There was no time to pull a dozen arrows. Her fingers dropped the bow, and both palms were instinctively flung up into a protective arch. Closing her eyes, she yanked hard on her miko powers. Somewhere in the darkest corner of her mind, a spark flared into a wildfire, and her pink shield engulfed her.
Her heart heaved hard against her chest as her knees struck the ground, suddenly weak from the sheer power she had summoned so quickly, and the monsters crashed into the shimmering wall. If she had delayed even a second longer, the demons would have been upon her. The demons screeched as their limbs twitched in pain. She counted at least five on the ground, their bodies writhing in agony as they desperately tried to rise to their feet and resume their attack.
`How long can I hold this?