InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Youkai to Tajiya ❯ Proplogue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Youkai to Taji-ya

Prologue

A strong wind blew through the forest, melding with the sound of cawing crows. A young man with shoulder length hair black hair, most in a messy ponytail but some hanging over his face sat on a low tree branch, watching as the birds picked at the corpse of a dead wild pig. One of them flew up to the branch before him, its orange eyes staring at him.

He gave the bird a slight look, his golden eyes narrowing. As if the young man was his master, it hopped over, perching itself on his finger. Smirking a little, the young man ran a thin finger of its shiny black head. He set the bird back down, and a moment later, it flew back to the carcass for more half-rotted meat.

The young man leaned his head back against the tree, shutting his eyes. He sighed, and after a few moments opened his eyes again. He reached into one of the pockets of his black clothing and armor that looked almost like a taji-ya's clothing and pulled out a small leather pouch. He undid the string, and pulled out two glowing shards of the Sacred Shikon no Tama.

"So far from being complete," he sighed, slipping them away. He had been seeking the jewel ever since he had learned of its discovery, and a short time later, he had found a single shard. However, the small sliver of power was not enough to accomplish what he wanted. His goal was to break a seal formed two centuries earlier by many powerful priests and priestesses to seal away a most powerful taji-ya.

She was a woman who had been a most talented slayer who had a most tragic tale, but met an even more tragic end. She had been assigned to slay a very powerful but young dog demon, but instead of killing him, had fallen in love. And she had bore him a son. But when it was discovered that the young unwed mother's child was indeed a hanyou, the woman was sealed away to keep the 'devil's soul' that they believed she owned at bay, and the child was hidden and never known to humans again.

Most thought it was simply a wives' tale to scare the young girls out of their wits about mingling with demons, that if you gave yourself to them or give them a child willingly, you would not die, but be sealed away so that your soul mingled in a type of limbo until the body was destroyed. This had always made the young man laugh, for he knew that this was not just a tale.

This young man, named Nobuharu was indeed the hanyou son of the taji-ya and the youkai. He had lived the past two centuries, trying to cling to the few memories he had of his mother while trying to find a way to free her from the imprisonment she suffered. The only reason that he had not been killed was because her mother's loving sister, his Aunt Kasumi, had taken him into hiding, and when he was old enough, she explained what had happened to his parents, and had even taken him to see his mother's lifeless form.

And thus, he had two goals. To find his father, and to revive his mother. He simply wanted to know them. And the reason he was seeking the Shikon no Tama was that he had heard tales that it could grant any wish, and he would free his mother with it. As the crows cawed and flew away with most of the carcass gone, he stood on the tree branch, smirking. He sniffed the air, and amazingly, picked up a scent quite familiar to his. "My, my," he whispered to himself, "Now what is this?"