Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Fall ❯ Even Flow ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“We can only learn to love by loving.” ~ by Iris Murdoch ~
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Chapter Five:
Even Flow

Purest sapphire gave way to darkening gray as clouds obscured the heavenly skies of Radiant Garden. Rain began to pattering noisily against roofs and the like, it’s icy touch prickling the ground. The air began to chill as steam rose from the chimneys of the houses. The date on the calendar read, December 3.

The odor of preserving fluids once again plagued the air in Ansem’s lab as the six apprentices were dissecting felines. Raine sat upon a stool, reading a book. Supposedly she was reading, but every so often she would glance up and whimper at the sight of the apprentices examining the innards of the cats.

Eventually someone had to grow tired of her bodily noises and Xehanort was the chosen victim. He placed his scalpel calmly beside the creature upon the table and his eyes rose in exasperation to glare humorously at the girl.

“Could you please stop making those noises? They’re throwing off my concentration.” He was still staring down at the cat, but she could hear the smirk in his voice. Did he find her discomfort amusing?

Raine frowned at his words, but nodded, “Sorry…I’m not fond of dissection.”

“Well, if you do not like it you may leave.” Xehanort gestured at the door off to the side.

Raine shook her head, “No, I’ll be quiet. Sorry.” Her head fell and she began to read, trying her best to ignore the dissection taking place.

“Why do you hate dissection?” Ienzo’s voice suddenly cut through the silence that had settled.

Raine looked up, “Well, actually it’s just the thought of cutting on things that were once living. I can handle it, it’s just a little creepy.” He snorted, “That all?”

Raine glared at him in indignation, “Yes, that’s all. You tell me how you’d feel if you were to dissect a cat and you discovered that it was your very own house pet that died a week prior?”

“That happen to you?” Braig’s eye was wide as he asked this question. His other one was now concealed under a dark eye patch.

Raine shook her head, “No, but it could!”

At that Even could no longer remain silent. He began to chuckle, halting his probing of the feline’s heart. His eyes rose to meet Raine’s which leered at him with such hate.

“You know, you have a very interesting imagination. You’ve really thought this through. Are you blind to what dissection has brought us?” He asked.

He was just attempting to aggravate her once again, and just as she had done the many times before she fell right into the trap. She crossed her arms and sniffed angrily.

“I am not ignorant. I know very well what advances dissection has provided us with. Forgive me, for hating to scar a dead body. I am not irked that you do this, I just personally wouldn’t.”

“So what you’re implying is that you believe this is disrespect,” Aeleus inquired.

“Yes and no…I feel bad for the specimens, but I am comforted in knowing that because of their sacrifice to us we heighten our knowledge…The comfort however is outweighed by the pity. I have no answer as to why.” She stated unemotionally.

The subject was left well alone after that. The lab fell into silence, well as silent as a lab could be. The occasional mutterings were present as was the constant scratching sound of pen on paper. Raine, however discontinued her noises of disapproval. She did not dare raise her eyes from their place in the book.

The calm musings came to an end rather abruptly when there was a sudden horrified shriek from Ienzo. What followed next was him going into a panic and lashing his arms out wildly knocking the dissection tray along with the feline specimen off the table with a deafening clatter.

“IENZO!”

Raine had been the only one not to yell the youngest apprentice’s name. She merely jumped and regarded the boy in confusion. His dark azure eyes were wide in revulsion and fright. His mouth hung open and panting breaths ensued to leave his lungs quickly.

“Did you…did you…see that?” His frantic gaze alighted on Xehanort as tears began to form in his eyes.

Xehanort shook his head as all eyes left the now sobbing boy to stare at the dead cat upon the floor. It’s intestines were spilled upon the cold ground along with the fallopian tubes which were enlarged with five sacs formed within them. The five apprentices’ eyes seem to gain some understanding and Dilan made to open his mouth to speak. Ienzo beat him to it, however.

“It’s pregnant! It’s pregnant!” His distressing declaration grew louder as he continued to back away from the table.

In hurried motions Ienzo ripped off his gloves, pulled his lab coat from his body, and quickly washed his hands before backing away into the rear of the room. He buried his head in his hands and, slumped against a table, his body shook with agony-stricken cries.

Xehanort gave a sigh of vexation before calmly proceeding to the front of his lab table. He picked up the dissection tray followed by the pregnant cat. Raine stared at the sacs that had the cat lived would have produced five healthy kittens, best case scenario. They were still in the early phases of development, being probably not more than fetuses.

No one seemed to notice Raine stand up and place her book upon the stool she had previously occupied. Within moments she was standing beside Ienzo.

“Are you going to be alright?” Her voice startled him as did her hand when it came to fall on his right shoulder. His cheeks were flushed and his eyes bloodshot as a result from his crying. He nodded slowly and took a deep breath, scrubbing at his eyes urgently as if he had just realized his tears and was embarrassed by them.

“I’ll be fine…” He said, slowly feeling silly for his little out burst.

“Why did you suddenly lose it,” Raine asked after a moment of observing him, “Ienzo, perhaps it isn’t the best question to ask at this particular moment, but I am curious. Were you not just minutes ago mocking my dislike of dissection? And now you freak out because the cat you happen to be assigned is pregnant? Don’t you think that a little hypocritical?” She regretted the words a little but she meant it. If only she could have made her voice sound a little less pretentious.

The sorrow in the young man’s eyes suddenly flashed with fire and he stood up, causing Raine to back away. His mouth pulled into a deep frown and his sapphire eyes became ignited in fury.

“How dare you say that! You don’t know my reasons!” He growled.

All eyes in the room turned at the sudden display of aversion between the two.

“Perhaps I could, but all I did was ask a question. Sorry it hit a nerve, but it couldn’t be avoided.” Raine replied a bit louder than necessary.

Ienzo turned away from her and scoffed. He crossed his arms. “I have a cat, okay? And it’s…pregnant. It’s like your situation almost. I can dissect an animal, but I cannot stand to find one with child. I think surely these people must know before they kill these animals that there is life within them.”

Raine was silent, but she nodded. Ienzo kept his back to her. “Perhaps I was being a little hypocritical…I’m kinda shaky about dissecting felines myself because I have one, but I shrug it off for the purpose of science.”

Raine nodded, “I understand.” She smiled sympathetically before verging slightly off topic in order to ward away the tension. The others in the room certainly weren’t going to. “Ienzo, how far along is your cat?” He chuckled softly, “She’ll be giving birth in about a week. Want a kitten?” Raine flushed and nodded, “ Sure, if it’s not too much trouble.”

“None at all. I’ll even call you when she’s giving birth. You should meet her first. After today’s dissection I’ll take you to see her. Her name’s Dusk.”

Raine smiled and nodded, “I’ll be back shortly then. I want to put my book in my room so I don’t have to worry about it later.”

Ienzo smiled lightly as he reapplied his gloves and shrugged his lab coat back on after Raine departed. “Sorry about my outburst.” He apologized quickly, but he knew he was forgiven. He smiled and began to write the notes again as Xehanort proceeded to analyze the cat again.

After a few more notes his voice once again broke through the silence, “Even.”

The oldest apprentice rose his head, “Yes?”

“Your girlfriend is very forward. She speaks her opinions without a regard for the reaction, not afraid to speak her mind. She’s a rare one, keep a hold on her.” Even’s face reddened and his eyes widened before they narrowed on the youngest member. “Ienzo,” his voice was a threatening waiver, “she is not my girlfriend.”

This set Dilan, Aeleus, and Ienzo into boisterous laughter. Xehanort just regarded Even with a small smirk; even he couldn’t help but show amusement.

“She’s not is she?” Xehanort clapped Even on the back, “well, then I suppose you wouldn’t mind me trying to court her, eh?”

A coherent thought did not reach Even in time before he made a crucial mistake. He turned on his heel and glared at the man; he had to raise his head slightly as Xehanort was slightly taller. His face was plainly emitting warning. When he realized his fault he turned away and clenched his fists at his side. “You may do as you wish. It is her choice if she wishes to be fond of any of us in such a way.” His voice spoke lowly. The damage had been done, however, and Dilan started to chuckle lowly which set off the other four back into loud laughter.

“Even,” Braig stated still laughing in mirth, “man if you like her so much why not just tell her?”

Even shook his head and began to clear his area of mess; the dissection was now over. After he had cleaned the area and himself he left. The others didn’t need Ienzo to tell them that they had brought him into a sour mood.

“Perhaps he’s nervous about telling her. They’ve known each other for only a short period of time… what, two weeks?” Ienzo suddenly said, his eyes shining in guilt.

“So?” Dilan posed and once again the apprentices fell into hysterics and that’s how Raine found them when she reentered the room minutes later, and upon her arrival the laughter did not stop. If anything, it got louder.

“What,” Raine, asked thoroughly confused.

“Ev-” Braig had started to reveal the truth, but Xehanort quickly covered his mouth with a hand and shook his head, still smiling.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

The door to Ienzo’s room creaked softly. Raine entered first, her eyes scanning the place, trying to familiarize herself to it.

His dark, oak desk rested beside his king-sized bed to the right. A pale-blue comforter hugged it decorated with darker pillows of blue hue. Books were scattered haphazardly around the room on the tables, shelves, the dresser, and even the desk.

As Ienzo pushed his way around Raine gently the girl smiled softly, at the scholar’s face. It was etched with both affection and worry.“I have to Dusk in a cage now-a-days. An unexpected birth is never unlikely,” He smiled slightly pushing open a door, that must have lead to his bathroom.

Raine took a step to follow him, but there was a gasp from within the room and Ienzo’s head appeared. His mouth was pulled into a frown and his brows were creased in anxiety.“I need towels,” he announced before his cranium retreated back into the bathroom. “Dusk has started giving birth.”

He was rather calm given the circumstances, but that did not quell the energy and worry borne into Raine as she nodded her head and ran out into the hall. It was only then that she realized she had no idea where to commandeer towels from.

“Damn,” she muttered under her breath, trying to calm her mind now to think straight. ‘Towels…Towels…’ She repeated this in her head like a mantra as her feet took flight down the halls.

Coming to a flight of stairs, Raine swiftly ascended them and turned to the first door on her left.

Upon opening the door, she witnessed Even, sitting atop his bed his fingers splayed outward and moving as if playing an invisible piano. A record player sat on his bedside table, emitting classical music.His actions stopped when he happened to turn his head an instant later, noticing Raine. His hands fell to his sides and he maneuvered to the record player and shut it off.

“What do you need?” His voice was harsh, displaying the fact that he was in bad spirits. To just leave him after already interrupting would not make his mood any brighter. Raine took a deep breath, ignoring his harsh tone and pleaded her case calmly.

“Even, do you have any towels?”

His face fell, the lines softening just a bit as surprise gripped him. “Yes, why?”

Raine shifted slightly, “Ienzo’s cat is giving birth and-”

“No, I am not giving my clean towels for his cat. He has his own.” There it was again. Raine knew she was getting on his nerves, or what was left of them anyway. Whatever had put him in a poor temper had already shortened them substantially.

“I know, but he was busy and besides, when that thought finally hit me I was already half-way down the hall and I wasn’t going back into that room. I would have been humiliated.”

Even scoffed and turned his gaze to his window, “Wouldn’t be the first time.”

Raine turned away from him, determined not to let him see that those words spoken so nonchalantly had actually upset her.

“Sorry I bothered you, Even. Thanks for nothing.” Raine spoke in the most casual manner possible. Her demeanor tipped off Even to the fact that he had, indeed, affected her with his words. Her voice was flat and void of all emotions. Raine’s voice always carried some sort of emotion.

‘Paying her a lot of attention, aren’t you,’ his mind stated snidely. He bit back at his thoughts bitterly. ‘Now is not the time.’ His stomach churned guiltily for most likely hurting her with his comment. When he turned his head to apologize, Raine was gone, leaving the door open in her departure.

Even grumbled under his breath and fell back into his bed. He knew he needed to apologize to her; he felt bad for offending her. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

‘She should not have been the brunt of my anger,’ he told himself. He placed a hand on his temple as if trying to ward off an on-coming headache. He continued to breath deeply, trying to concentrate on that instead of his anger towards his five fellow apprentices.

He expected his fondness of Raine to be apparent, but only to those he spoke of the matter to, which was only Braig, and that was inadvertently. He knew the man had taken no action to repeat this bit of news, though. He was slightly wounded that his affection of the girl was apparent to everyone but her. Perhaps she knew and was not acting upon it for the same reasons he was? Then again it was normally men that took the lead in courting. The man was the one who admitted his feelings first.

That fact alone scared Even. He was horrified of rejection. Yet watching Raine, she gave him no reason to doubt her acceptance of him. That, however, did not stop the fear from gnawing at his guts. He should not feel so strongly towards her in only two weeks, yet, it strangely felt appropriate and improper at the same time.

Even turned over on his stomach and continued to dissect the reasons for his sour mood.

Xehanort was another agent that had caused his quick temper to swiftly ignite and bite at whoever decided to prod him slightly. Unfortunately for him, he mused, that person happened to Raine. Even wanted to laugh at the fact Xehanort was joking about taking Raine, but something was chilling about that. Even couldn’t put his finger on why, but it was there, poking his mind dully. He should not be jealous, but he was. Xehanort had every right to pursue Raine, but it drove him mad to picture Raine with the man. He knew why and that simply made him feel worse.

Even wanted her. He wanted to hear her whisper his name laden with the emotion of devotion and love. He wanted to kiss her lips and hold her as if it were the last day he ever would. It disgusted him because he wanted to rationalize that it was inappropriate to feel such a way after having made her acquaintance only a couple of weeks ago. Yet, the thought of her hugging him and whispering her very affection into his ear; the thought of holding her whether to comfort or just to do so caused new blood to pump within his heart and grace his cheeks in a healthy flush. The notion that someone as perfectly imperfect as she could love someone such as him with his flaring temperament and logic was uplifting. He knew it was selfish, but he wanted her for himself and no one else.

It was settled then, he would at least go down to her, perhaps even apologize. First, he walked to his closet and grabbed a towel. ‘Wonder if they even still need one…’

Even turned his head to the door only to squeeze his eyes shut at the sight before him. Xehanort leaned against the doorframe, peering at him innocently, or as innocently as possible. Even could see the mischief in his eyes and posture. He was planning something and the flame in his gaze was uncanny. It was like seeing him observe an experiment, only there was none in sight.

The oldest apprentice prayed his gaze had not been noticed, but Xehanort’s footsteps entered his room quietly.

“She seemed rather upset,” his deep voice commented as he came to stand before Even, who groaned inwardly. Apparently, Xehanort had caught his and Raine’s earlier conversation. Even turned his eyes to glare into the man’s amber ones. Within his turquoise orbs swirled annoyance and questioning. Xehanort didn’t allow him a word before he continued.

“Raine and Braig just walked by a few minutes ago with an arm of towels each. Ienzo’s cat appears has started giving birth…She didn’t seem too happy when she glared in here at your form on the bed. Are you still mad at us, Even? That was no reason to take the your temper out on the poor girl.”

His voice was a playful lilt seeped in venom. Even wrinkled his nose and threw the towel back in the closet before turning swiftly back in Xehanort’s direction. The man almost fell backward to his satisfaction, but he caught himself. Even wanted that smile off of Xehanort’s lips, but it replaced itself on its own after he fixed his stature.

“Upset over a girl, Even? I must say, this is a change for you. Normally you’re nothing but research and charts, now that Raine has come along, I see you’ve found a new test subject. Tell me, does she intrigue you as much she intrigues me? Hmmm?”

Even’s eyes narrowed on the newest apprentice. He bit his tongue to hold back the frigid words he wished to spew from his lips. The other’s voice was too smug and his eyes held challenge towards Even and a burning malice. This new persona Xehanort adopted was strange, but what chilled him was he wasn’t surprised by the abrupt alteration. Even had seen this change in the man coming, but he had hoped he was just being paranoid. He wasn’t, and that was a disturbing satisfaction, he took great pleasure when he was correct after all.

Xehanort laughed softly as he backed away towards the door, “Even, I will be honest with you, I like Raine. In fact, I like her a whole lot. Whether you care or not I will move in on her. You will not stop me from courting her. I see her and I want her. I intend to have her. You better make your move, Even.” There was a pregnant pause where Xehanort turned away and every intelligent word left Even’s mind. If felt as if ice water had just been dumped over his head. Xehanort had not been joking in the lab.

He turned his stare back on Even,” The clock is ticking, Even. If I were you, I’d quicken my pace. You do want the girl right? Then do not dawdle…I’m already making my move.” During his speech he had raised his right hand and moved the index finger as if marking off seconds.

Even growled in his throat and finally his enraged gaze found Xehanort, “She is not a prize to be won!” The man’s smirk grew, “Really now?” His voice was sickeningly sweet, mocking virtue. “But, Even, she is such an excellent prize.”

Even’s mind was on it’s feet in mere seconds. He cocked his head in warning. Xehanort chuckled again. “I enjoy a challenge, as do you. And such a fantastic challenge you’ve offered me.” With that he left the room and a fuming apprentice.

Even only stayed where he stood long enough to settle his anger before his feet were moving. They traipsed down the hall, descended the stairs, and continued to lead him until he reached an open door. A group was situation around a central point in the room, Ienzo’s room.

He later came to find out that Dilan had come in for soap to find Dusk giving birth. Raine had dragged Braig with her and Aeleus had been informed by the youngest apprentice himself. Aeleus’ cat, Charlemagne, who having been the sire of the kittens, was acting as every good father did and was present in the man’s arms for the birth.

Xehanort had of course come because Raine was there and as Even peered into the room a quiver of rage snaked through his veins as he noticed where the man of his broodings stood.

Xehanort stood beside Raine to the furthest left. Her hands were wrapped around the bicep of his right arm and every now and then she would squeeze it. He would nod at her reassuringly and mutter something to the girl. She looked not distressed, but excited. At the sight of her eyes wide in excitement and bright in joy Even’s anger dwindled slightly.

“Even, you decide to check out the birth too?” Ienzo’s voice cut across the commotion of the birth, halting Braig as he was giving a commentary on the events, cheering the cat on, and giving his opinions about the process.

Every set of eyes rose from the cat, or what Even supposed was the cat by all the clues, to stare at him, but two sets of eyes caught his attention the most.

Raine’s eyes dulled at the sound of his name being called and regret instantly swam once again through his stomach. He hated to see her eyes lose their fire and it was especially disheartening considering it was his fault as she stared back in bored acknowledgement.

Xehanort’s mouth twisted into a small grin that set Even’s brain ablaze in rage as his eyes smugly glanced between Raine and the man. It was also a small gesture as if to quip to the oldest apprentice, “Look at what I have. Jealous?” Even held back the urge to purse his lips and glare at the man in distain. He needed to mend his feud with Raine first and foremost. It was further disappointing for Even to realize he was the only witness to Xehanort’s actions and gestures. The man could feign confusion should Even confront him now.

Even nodded to Ienzo, “Normally I view this process as necessary in human life, but otherwise disgusting…yet I have nothing better to do so why not?”

The youth seemed to lighten up at the words of the eldest and he moved through the small gathering to bring him beside Raine. Even looked at the man and Ienzo’s gaze met his. “Even, I need to voice to a concern I have rather quickly…about Dusk and as you are the oldest perhaps you can quell my fears.”

“Of course, Ienzo, I will do my best.” Even offered, confused because Ienzo’s gaze held not confusion but importance. He leaned down as the youngest gestured him to do so.

“Even, I do not know what has transpired between Raine and yourself, but I would fix it as soon as possible. The look deep within Xehanort’s eyes when he looks at her is not comforting.” His voice was barely audible, but Even caught every word. He satisfied the curiosity elicited by their secretive conversation by replying, “Do not worry, Ienzo, that is quite normal just make sure the after birth follows and all will go smoothly.”

Ienzo nodded silently and took to pacing behind Dusk’s box as the cat continued in its labor to bear its kittens. Even placed a hand on Raine’s shoulders startling her slightly. He couldn’t help smile at the action.

“Having fun,” he asked. Raine turned her stare to him and narrowed her eyes. She was angry with him and he frowned and sighed. His grip on her shoulder became softer and without using words he conveyed remorse for his earlier treatment towards her. She merely nodded and before he could react she had his left bicep in her grip. Now she held both him and Xehanort, but Even noticed smugly she was leaning closer to him.

He glanced out of the corner of his eyes to observe the frown the other cast on him. His lips curved upward and he noticed Ienzo’s small smile at him as well.

As the birth continued on, Even found himself more enthralled watching Raine’s expressions as the births progressed; the way her eyes would widen or squint at certain happenings. He was even entranced by the sound of her breathing. Her face was so innocent and child-like there was no denying how cute he believed her to be.

He watched her as she at one point turned to him and smiled, relaying an excited exclamation to him before repeating it to Xehanort. Even had heard it, but he thought and not for the last time how those beautiful coral colored lips would feel against his own. And, for the moment, he accepted this musing without guilt.

Regrettably, Xehanort was right, he was going to have make his move and fast. He would not allow this woman to slip through his fingers without a fight.