Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Fall ❯ If Tomorrow Never Comes (Final Chapter) ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.”
--Holocaust Museum, Washington D.C.--
---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

Chapter Twelve:
If Tomorrow Never Comes

“Have I done something to upset you?”

Xehanort folded his hands in his lap and shook his head, refusing to meet his teacher’s gaze.

“Of course not, Master Ansem.” He felt the stern glare centered on him, but his lips maliciously grinned, amber eyes eerie in madness. It was against Ansem’s luck that he saw not the expression on Xehanort’s face. The contours of his apprentice’s face were hidden behind his hair.

“If I have done nothing, then why do you insist upon insulting me during your free time? I just don’t understand why-” Xehanort rolled his eyes and drowned the man out as he lectured. How long ago had darkness began to manifest in his system? How long ago had he been granted powers beyond any normal human scope? He removed one hand from his lap and he laid it palm up on his thigh. His lips parted making visible the tips of his canines. It had been months ago. Such a short time, but during it his power had increased ten-fold, especially recently.

He closed his eyes, reveling in the heady feeling the power gave him. He could feel it coursing through his body, heavily accumulating at his fingertips. Perhaps it was time to test the extent of his powers. He concealed his laughter at the thought. He raised his head, observing as Ansem continued to rattle on, “-took you in, taught you all I could, tried to help you obtain your lost memories, and you repay me with insolent behavior?!”

“You have condescended me just as heavily.”

He was delighted to see the surprise his rebuttal had caused Ansem. “Confused,” he chuckled and stood up, “then I suppose I should enlighten you, hm?” He leaned over the desk behind which Ansem sat and stared into his face. It was then the man saw the derangement his student possessed. How foolish he then felt.

“You took away the very experiments that seemed to aid me,” Xehanort started slowly, but the ire in his voice was not hard to differentiate, “and all because of what?! A runt of a king told you that they were causing discord?! You humiliated me, shunned my theories, and you-you told me that the only thing that seemed to be helping me was ‘better left forgotten’! Ansem the Wise, they call you? Hah!” Xehanort threw his head back his throaty enjoyment encompassing the room.

Ansem used this distraction to push away from the desk and stand up. He backed away, putting distance between him and Xehanort. “My lord,” he gasped, “what have I done?” At those words Xehanort stopped his joyous insanity. He stared at Ansem in his new position. An eyebrow rose as his smile morphed into a lecherous grin. “Yes, Master, what have you done?”

He continued to lean over the desk, his eyes locked on Ansem’s figure. “All you did was take away the very power that was fueling my hope, embarrass me before my peers, and disregard my ideas as mere fancy or absurdity. Well, you’re mistaken about stopping those forbidden experiments.”

Ansem felt his throat constrict, “What are you talking about?” He choked. His body further tightened at the light in his apprentice’s eyes.

His fear was palpable as Xehanort spoke his reply. “You tried to stop those experiments, but right under your nose all those people disappeared.”

“You didn’t!”

Xehanort’s satisfaction grew. He crossed his arms, “Not alone, no. I had the help of your other trusted students. How you were so gullible…What kind of king are you to be so naive?” He cackled.

Ansem’s mouth went dry, “Even? Braig?-”

“Yes. And it’s too late to do anything about it. I have power beyond your feeble coherence and as for my lost memories,” he cracked his knuckles, “I don’t need them anymore…With the power darkness has bless me with what need have I of them?”

“You monster,” Ansem flinched, “You must be stopped and-”

Xehanort once again laughed lowly, “What? Are you going to stop me?” His boisterous mirth sent unconscious shivers down Ansem’s spine. Teacher and student made eye-contact. Xehanort had discovered the perfect specimen to test his powers on. “You’ll find trying to obstruct my path is easier said than done.” He snapped his fingers and at his side sprouted a creature the likes of which Ansem had never seen.

It was a heartless, there was no doubt about that, but how had it materialized? Had his apprentices perfected the early synthesizing processing? The creature possessed no feet and in addition to its form its beastly expression gave it the appearance of a ghastly wraith. Xehanort swept his hand in a gaudy gesture and the “guardian” roared. Ansem unconsciously stepped back further and pressed himself against the wall.

“Preparing to run? Master Ansem, look full into face of this creature your pushing then your warnings created.” At that statement the dark creature launched itself at Ansem who bolted to the side. He made it to the panel that opened the wall before the heartless trapped him. It was fast, and Ansem struggled vainly as it forced his arms to his side and squeezed his chest.

“Why…are you…doing this?”

Xehanort shook his head, “You no longer deserve your title, King Ansem. I succeed you by far…gone farther than you ever dared. I think, I am more deserving of your name and title, don’t you think?” He walked forward, “It’s such a pity…I might have allowed you to join me, but your morals are too much a distraction.” He touched Ansem’s shoulder in a mocked manner of comfort.

Ansem glared at his sardonic apprentice. His ego and his pride were being stripped away, not to mention this man was basically promising an end to not only his reign but to this world, or so the king feared. He had to revolt. Using the only movable part of his body, he did strike back. He kicked him hard in the stomach.

Xehanort grunted and stumbled back, his hand placed against the injured area. His face was abrupt in its change from pain and surprise to amusement, however. “Finally, I get a physical response from you, but you hesitated too long. Observe.” He raised a hand and concentrated on an area behind the heartless and his captive. “It’s best you bid this world farewell, Master.”

The creature pivoted and Ansem’s breath stifled. The chasm that floated mere feet from him was an explosion of violet and ebony that drew all attention inward. Being confronted with what appeared a fatal fate, Ansem thrashed violently, refusing to give Xehanort the satisfaction of a scream. Xehanort, conversely, only watched his teacher’s futile fight as the “guardian” easily drew closer to the dark portal. When Ansem finally ceased his struggle, he had state of mind enough to concentrate briefly and behind him he heard the effects of his last ditch effort. Xehanort gave a short yell at the explosion of fire energy beneath his feet. It wasn't enough to stop anything however, and Ansem stared in unhidden horror at his destiny.

“Goodbye, King.” His student managed to call, while busy smothering out embers on his clothes.

In a sobered moment Ansem glared at his doom, “Xehanort, you will pay for this. You will be stopped. Somehow I’ll make sure of it.”

“Well, then, I’ll deal with that situation should ever it arise.” Xehanort’s voice expressed how wasted such a vow was on him. Ansem felt his body being pulled back. He closed his eyes as he felt his body flying upon the creature’s release. Xehanort’s laughter was the only thing that accompanied him as he opened his eyes. Darkness was all he saw and ice was what he felt pierce his skin.

The portal closed behind the King and Xehanort snapped his fingers again to dismiss the heartless. He observed the room in silence, an arrogant grin plastered upon his face. He turned on his heel to witness his raven kitten staring quizzically at him.

“Come, George, dinner is to be served and I need to feed you first.” He pushed open the study door and the cat and he disappeared behind it. A merry tune floated back softly and entered the now empty room. It was the sole sound that broke the morbid silence.
--------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------

Even took a few tentative steps forward. His eyes beheld Ansem’s study door with a vague expression of trepidation. The last time he had entered its walls had been the night he had pursued Raine. His apprehension was covered by a painful expression. He deeply missed her; he wanted nothing more than to feel her warmth in his arms again and see her smiling face. It wouldn’t happen, though, and he knew it. He had to stop thinking about her. She didn’t deserve to be tied down by him. He sighed. But she had his heart and would always be its sole keeper, something told him that.

He raised his gaze from its shamed vantage at the ground. He was still standing before Ansem’s door. The thought of Raine, though still fresh paled when he was reminded why he was down here. He hesitantly maneuvered his hand and pushed the door open.

Ansem had been gone for two weeks and, there was an underlying feeling to that statement that prodded at Even. Something wasn’t right and he had to quell his fears. If he didn’t find Ansem in his study he would begin investigating; surely one of the castle workers knew where he had gone. If he found Ansem, well, he could handle feeling foolish at this moment, perhaps he would even find the strength to tell him the terror that had been happening under his nose. Ansem was too kind to have been deceived, and Even felt the guilt of that realized fact churning his gut. Strict, but understanding, perhaps he could find a way for them to be pardoned slightly. Even wanted to live, he wanted all of them to live, except perhaps Xehanort. He felt no remorse at the thought of the man’s death.

Even fixed his face in a friendly disposition to greet Ansem should he be sitting in there. He pushed open the door further, his face falling as sounds of scratching and scuffling met him instead. What was going on in there? He stopped when the door was on half open.

Even’s body stopped functioning and his blood turned to frost in his veins. He wanted to scream, but did nothing. He needed to stay calm. He closed his eyes, ‘If I can’t see them, maybe they won’t see me.’ Okay, so that thought was childish. His turquoise eyes opened again and he focused on the black creatures that had invaded the study.

About a dozen heartless were ravaging the room, but these were only the lowest species. Shadows filled the floor. The walls had been shredded, papers were askew, and the furniture demolished until it was hardly recognizable as once having been a shapely chair or decoration. A portrait of Xehanort was sitting undisturbed in the room behind the messy desk. But the heartless couldn’t have had mind enough to file through it…Wait-

‘What the hell,’ Even felt control return to his body, ‘Xehanort?!’

Why was there a painting of Xehanort in the room? Even almost growled in ire, but then he remembered the heartless. He brought his gaze down and realized their stares were drawn to him. He grabbed the door and slammed it shut. He bolted down the hallway then.

The heartless, they were suppose to be imprisoned beneath the castle! They couldn’t have gotten out by themselves. Even sifted these thoughts through his mind. The door that lead into the basement of the castle was magically shut, with a spell that only he and the other five apprentices could solve. It took no time to realize who had released the beings into the castle. Panic jolted in him and he quicken his pace through the halls. Those heartless could sense the hearts in the area. They were ravenous…or were they?

‘They didn’t attack me…’ He fell to his knees as the solution to that thought worded itself. ‘The prisoners!’ He closed his eyes and tried to ward off the nausea that gripped him. All those people, they fulfilled their purposes after all. They had been victims for the darkness. Their hearts had been devoured and they had only added to the seemingly infinite army that had laid beneath the castle. Where were the higher ranking creatures? Even gripped his head. It was too much to think about. The castle was going to fall!

No…The whole world was going to fall…

Even shook his head. ‘Get yourself together! You all created these beings…You can destroy them just as easily, right?…Damn right!’ He had to convince himself it could be done. But he knew it wouldn’t be accomplished solely by him. He had to inform the others!

He pulled himself to his feet and reigned in his expression. He had to handle one problem at a time. He didn’t need anyone suspicious of his behavior to begin with. He stared at the hallways he had just come from. Was it just him or could he hear those infernal beings scratching along the floor? Had they gotten out? Were they still hungry for hearts? Was he-Even jumped as a warm hand gripped his shoulder. He then froze. What if it was Xehanort?

“Even, has Ansem returned?”

Even didn’t hide his relief as he sighed and placed a hand over his rapidly beating heart. It was just Aeleus. Aeleus! He whipped around and Aeleus faltered at the terrified expression on his companion’s face.

“What’s wrong?”

“Xehanort,” Even did not waste any time.

“What has he done now?”

Even glanced behind him, “He released the heartless from the sealed room, and…I think they…Ansem the Wise.”

Aeleus had no need to hear him explain the broken sentence. He stared down the darken hallway. “We have to block them. Block this whole level from the main castle. I can put a spell on the doors, but it won’t hold them long.” Aeleus gestured that Even follow him and they made their way further up the hallway.

“Can you hear it?” Even posed his question when they had reached a set of heavy double doors that lead from the main levels of the castle. Aeleus paused for a moment and gave a curt nod, “They’ve gotten out of the study.” Even knew he paled, but he followed Aeleus’ example and took a door. They both closed them. Aeleus locked them as well, but both of them knew it was a useless habit. When the duo stepped back from the doors, the younger raised his hand and the door took on a green glow.

“The moment that door is opened an avalanche of rocks will hinder them. Many will still make it past this small obstacle, unfortunately.” Even raised his hand as well, “Then let’s make it a little harder.” The door frosted over. Aeleus smiled, but Even shook his head, “It still won’t be enough to stop the majority of them. We need to either, one: figure how stop this invasion and Xehanort, or two: find a way to evacuate this castle and then take care of the problems.” Aeleus nodded once again and the two turned on their heels to head back towards the principal level. “We need to speak to the others about this.”

Even didn’t reply. He only stared ahead of them. He knew he agreed, but to say so would only waste time. They had lost the last column of support. Ansem was gone… Even felt the anger, the pity, the guilt, the sorrow all build up. These emotions did not sear his face, however. He had to be calm. Not only for his companions, but for the whole world. This was it; the final hours were ticking down. He clenched his fists at his sides, the only outward sign that something was troubling him. They had been idiots! How could they have not said anything earlier?! Damn them and their self-preservation. They shouldn’t have cared about their pride! And now, because of them Ansem had-had…It was too terrible to even think of!

He couldn’t break down, not yet. Even, though he wanted nothing more than to lean against the hard walls and wail his confession to the heavens, would not descend into mindless grieving. They had to stop Xehanort first…that man, that mislead servant of darkness. What had they done in allowing him reign to pursue his studies?! It was worse than they ever could have feared. What was happening was more comparable to a nightmare.

The man was more unhinged, insane, and obsessive than anyone could have ever fathomed. How had they been so blind to his change?!

Even glanced at Aeleus whose face was just as composed as his. It told him they were partners; they shared the same sentiments, but they knew the folly they’d make revealing their inner thoughts at the moment. That fact gave Even faith and strength. Perhaps they could do this…Xehanort was just one man, after all. Five against one…promising odds.

Heavy footfalls echoed off the walls of an adjacent stairway. Aeleus and Even halted their march. Someone was speeding towards them. Even felt his pulse rocket in fear. Where had all his strength gone? He stared up to greet the intruder, trying his best not to break.

‘Our Father who art in heaven, hallow be thy name. Thy kingdom come-’

A throaty chuckle struck the walls, “Well what do we have here?”
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

“C 217;mon, Chicky…Braig won’t hurt your fledglings none. C’mon momma…”

Braig wondered how infantile he appeared as he tried to coax the magpie to his gloved hands. He cooed encouragingly, but the bird wouldn’t come. He knew he really couldn’t blame the avian...

He let out a breathy sigh, “Oh, come on! Your mate came out just dandily…Chicky, I ain‘t gonna hurt your babies.”

Damn bird still didn’t budge. He knew this wasn’t going to end well. Good thing he was wearing gloves. He climbed in and, crooning softly, he chased the animal to the corner of the cage. Oh, yes, this was going to be a challenge.

His one hazel eye stared at the bird who returned the glare. He flexed his fingers and-

“This is in vain! You cannot hurt me! Even that bloody falcon came out nicely today!” He boasted triumphantly to no one in particular as “Chicky” thrashed wildly in his hands. For such a squat of a bird, she was strong. He felt pity for being so rough with her. ‘She’s frightened for her young. She’d die just to save them. I might not have any children, but I can sympathize with her.’ He smiled softly at the bird as he threw it in the container with her mate. “You’re a good momma. Don’t let your chap tell you any different!” He had to almost screech it as his new captive began to shriek shrilly. He cringed.

He went about cleaning the cage. This was the last cage he had to polish. He hummed happily, trying to drown out the infernal chattering and in knowing the only thing left for him to do was feed the creatures. That task was easy. The birds’ food was kept beneath each individual coop; that had been the first thing Braig had done. Putting their separate feed or other nourishment beneath their pens had made his job as aviary attendant much simpler.

He placed the smaller confining cage into the large pen and opened it. The two birds flew out. The female immediately flew to her chicks; she needed to know they were safe. Braig removed his gloves and wiped his brow. “See, Chicky, I told you that your young’uns would be fine.” His cheery demeanor was not to be broken now. He was too close to finishing his daily tasks. Relaxation dangled so closely before him.

He poured two bowls of seeds and, opening a latch placed them into the cage as well. Feeding the magpies? Done! He waltzed to the next pen and did the same thing.

He had just completed giving the whimbrels their food when a soft scratching made it to his ears. At first he ignored it, thinking it was merely one of the birds. But it continued on and as Braig neared the doorway he discovered the noise was becoming louder. He paused in lifting a live dormouse from it’s container to give to the owl perched atop a coop before him. Why in heaven's name would something be scratching the door? It definitely wasn’t Leo, his calico kitten. There was more than one set of claws grating against the wood. Braig gasped and instinctively the dormouse was dropped from his hand. It fell to the floor and scuttled away.

He listened as the scuffles repeated and got louder. They couldn’t have-he didn’t! Xehanort hadn’t! He had to force himself to turn around and once he did he regretted it; beyond the glass dome of the aviary heartless were massing. It was at that moment he heard ramming and growling. He gulped, but the lump that had filled his throat wasn’t dissipating. He backed up slowly, eyes never leaving the door. Xehanort couldn’t have released the heartless from beneath the castle could he?

What the hell was he thinking?! Of course Xehanort could do it. Braig grunted; what about the others? Had they already fallen? He reached into his pocket and pulled out the only weapon he possessed, a pocket knife he used to open the bags of bird seed. Well, he wasn’t going down without a fight.

He stopped his backward retreat and glared at the door. It had begun to rattle, but he was too angered then to be terrified. “C’mon, ya bastards…you hungry…come get me.”

His free hand twitched in his anticipation. He lowered his head and he heard the door beginning to creak under pressure. Distantly a thought came to his mind; the heartless had to have already disposed of many of the castle attendants on this floor. He came to his conclusion because there was no way a ruckus, especially of the volume that was then being made could not go unnoticed so effortlessly. If his conscious had used this as a warning to flee, then it failed miserably; it only farther solidified Braig’s fervor to obliterate as many of the damn creatures as he could before he went down.

Everything for Braig after that one moment of reverie seemed to occur in quick succession. The door burst open; and it was then Braig cursed himself for being on nearly the top floor. If anyone in the castle was left below then there would be no hearing this. They would absentmindedly hear the struggle and misconceive it as him fighting one of the birds again. Damn it all to hell if he didn’t feel like the little boy who cried wolf, only the story was ever so slightly changed.

He was beset with the hungering yellow eyes of lower heartless, but he felt his heart jump in pure fear when he heard the call of the flying ones. Wyverns; he remembered standing witness to their man-made birth. Hell, he hated falcon-like birds. And these Wyverns were massive, monsters resembling hawks. They were easily four times the superior of his “Bloody Falcon”.

There was a moment, all eyes met and then the heartless jumped. The lowers leaped from the ground and advanced towards him while the avian heartless braced themselves against the wall and surged forward. Braig ducked from the air attack and began kicking and slashing at the ground brigade. He was able to finish off a pair before the airborne group once again attempted to assault him. He with little hesitation jumped up and backed away as the swarm hounded him. He barely missed a massive face injury at one point. He was forced into a corner.

Blood was running from his eyebrow into his no longer working eye. He only felt it’s warmth as his good eye spotted the now missing eye patch lying upon the blood-stained floor. He growled low in his throat. No one had come…So they had at least disposed of the meager forces on his current floor. He had to get away, and luckily he had a plan. The most powerful gravity spell he had mastered would do the trick; and he knew so. His earlier attempts at just slowing some of his muggers down by using some of the weaker ones had performed excellently.

He was acting rashly, but his self-preservation instincts were kicking in. He had to get out! He had to know if his colleagues were still alive. He had to warn the world. Something had gone terribly wrong…Where was Ansem when you needed him?

Braig saved anymore thoughts for a better time. He raised his hand and mustering all the magical energy he had he fused it together and released the spell. His ears were filled with the painful yelps and roars of the heartless. He make a dash for the door, millions of thoughts simultaneously filling his mind.

It’d take a good two minutes for his magic to be restored; that spell had better have worked! If his comrades still had possession of their bodies and hearts where would they be? How long would that gravity spell be affective? And how ironic was it that the one person they had been hiding their true midnight agendas from was the one that Braig felt they now needed desperately?

The enormity of the sins they had committed hit him. It was as if a boulder had been placed upon his shoulders; a burden that was suffocating him.

Braig’s hands grasped the Magpie cage as he pushed it to gain leverage. That spell, though powerful would only hold for at best five seconds. He did not dare glance back, that would be a waste of precious time. He pushed off and he felt his feet skid across the floor. He reached out early so his hand could be used to push off from the door frame which was damaged beyond repair.

He would never make it, however. A solid force collided with his legs and he went sprawling onto the floor. The impact knocked the air from his lungs, but he managed to turn on his back. He blindly, once again, struck with his knife. If he had to, he’d go down, but he’d take some of them to Hell with him. He screamed as he felt claws dig into his clothing, ripping the skin as they lustily sought nourishment. He felt the gashes form on his body. He stared up into the yellow eyes of the weaker heartless before suddenly they were gone from view.

At first he thought that, beyond all fate, he’d been spared, but when the form of a Wyvern came into his vision and descended to a dangerous proximity to him he knew all hope was lost. He was done for. He slammed the knife upward into the creature as it bent its head and did the same to him. Its razor beak penetrated his chest wall right over his heart just as his knife copied the actions into the bird’s breast.

If anyone had been listening they would have heard the curdling shriek of a human blended with the vociferous and sharp screech of a beast. Then all went quiet except for a soft chuckle that winded into the room, so light that it may have just been the wind.

May have been…But was it?
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

Dilan strolled closer to Even and Aeleus. His amusement at meeting them vanished when he saw their faces, however.

“What’s wrong? You-”

“Dilan, you frightened us.”

His brow furrowed at Aeleus. “Well that’s apparent, but why are you so jumpy? You act like you came cross death himself.”

“A very precise analogy for who we thought we were going to be facing,” Even sniffed, removing his hand from his breast, which he'd clutched it again his terror, and taking a deep breath to color his ashen face.

“What has he done?” There was no need to question identities.

Even replied, “Xehanort has released the imprisoned heartless. Ansem the Wise appears a victim and the bastard is still running free and most likely heartily enjoying himself. He’s finally lost it, and he’s taken the King with him.”

“Dilan,” Aeleus voice cut through evenly staring at the man, “calm yourself…We knew he was going to lose it.”

“Damn it! We really fucked up! We should’ve just let Ienzo reveal us when he had the chance. Now, that man, no that-that monster is ripping up everything and everyone precious to us! Who’s next, hm? Me? You, Ael? Even? Ienzo? Or Braig? This is just great! FRICKIN’ MERRY! Ansem’s gone as result of our foolishness, guilt, and hesitation. The injustice that comes from inquisitive minds indeed!…Braig, how correct you are.” Dilan whispered the last part to himself and turned away. He had to close his eyes and concentrate on cooling his anger for now. He needed to be clear-headed.

Even nor Aeleus interrupted his collection. When he had finally simmered down he turned again to his two cohorts. “So we-”

“Do as planned and meet in my room, yes.”

Dilan nodded to Aeleus and stood still until they passed him then he began to follow them up the stairs. “Ienzo’s still in his room. I greeted him just before I came down to see-to see…” Dilan winced at his pause, but pushed on, “To see if Ansem had returned yet…”

Even placed a hand on his shoulder. “We share in this guilt. You not bearing this burden all alone.”

None of them spoke after that. They ascended the stairs until they reached the appropriate floor. Silence embraced them until they found themselves before Ienzo’s room.

Aeleus knocked softly.

“Hold on a minute!” Ienzo’s muffled voice replied from behind the oaken door.

Seconds passed in eerie hush. Seconds that felt like hours. Even after they were staring straight at Ienzo’s momentarily cheerful disposition they seemed to still be taking too long.

“Umm...?,” Ienzo’s dark sapphire eyes scanned each of their faces with the same concern his speech held before his complexion paled. If there was ever a time to pity the boy for his knack of reading people it would have been now. He knew without having to ask why three of the six men he spoke to daily were standing at his door, depression marring their features like a tornado scars the land it devastates.

“Xehanort, what has he done?” Once again the name was placed before anyone clarified.

The three pairs of eyes that stared in pity at the boy then turned downward in shame. “The heartless we’ve captured and the ones we made... have escaped, and we fear they have…”

Aeleus was the first to raise his gaze when Even stopped his explanation. He grabbed Ienzo’s shoulder and shook his head, “King Ansem’s gone, Ienzo.”

A broken gasp and the boy fumbled from his friend’s grip. He backed up and fell onto his bed. He brought his hands up to his face and he began to shiver uncontrollably. Even took it upon himself to walk over to the youth and sit beside him. ‘Let him cry if he starts…Let him express the sorrow we hold back on. He needs it. He’s too young… barely an adult and he’s thrust to join us in damnation. Intelligence truly can be a curse…especially when bonded with his uncanny ability to analyze people.’ He patted Ienzo on the back and allowed Dilan and Aeleus the chance to talk. He’d be filled in later.

“The evacuation of this castle must be done! There is no need to discuss that. This entire world must be abandoned! We can talk all we must about how to stop Xehanort, but first let’s get everyone out of this castle before he can take anymore lives. I’ll go retrieve Braig. He should be done with his duty to the aviary by now. And I’ll tell everyone I see to get out of here-no I’ll yell it. ‘There’s been a chemical leak in the castle! Immediate evacuation is needed!’ That’ll get them out of here, at least. Maybe we can turn this stronghold into a prison.”

“That is a great idea, Dilan, but we should come with you.”

Dilan smiled sadly at Aeleus, “No, you shouldn’t. If something terrible happens to me and Braig, then it’s just us. That’ll still leave at least the three of you to finish this battle. I have faith in you.”

Aeleus opened his mouth to protest, but knew the logic behind Dilan’s reasoning. He conceded. “Fine, hurry back here with Braig and take something to defend yourself with just in case.” The man watched as Dilan removed himself from the doorway and entered a room across the hall. He reemerged, toting a javelin.

With a reassuring smirk he bowed his head to Aeleus and walked down the hallways. Ienzo’s door was closed behind him. Aeleus joined Even in trying to soothe the troubled youth just as Dilan began to yell for all the inhabitants to be evacuated.

“Even,” Ienzo’s raw voice called as he lifted his head, “did you see the heartless take Ansem?”

“No,” Even sighed, “all I saw was Shadows pillaging his ransacked study. If Ansem had survived we would have known by now, Ienzo. I’m sorry.” The boy continued to sniff feebly, but stayed rather composed. He too knew he had passed the time for mourning. He would continue to do so later. “Shadows? That’s all you saw?”

“Yes I-,” Even saw the shock on the youngest’s face, “why?”

“If the whole lot of heartless was released how is it that you saw none of the more powerful ranks?”

“You don’t think,” Aeleus’ eyes widened, “there’s no way for Xehanort to practice control over them is there?”

The trio was on their feet in mere seconds, “If they wish survival when faced with a power more lethal than theirs then they would no doubt ally themselves with whoever is the strongest. They are mere animals. They have no mind; they will carelessly follow whoever is stronger than them.” Aeleus had answered his own question.

Even placed a hand over his gaping mouth, “We may have just made Dilan a martyr. And…He knows it!”

“God bless his soul,” Ienzo whispered, “Godspeed my friend.” Dilan’s call was no longer echoing back to their ears. Their eyes fell to the door. They could hear the heavy footsteps of the escaping castle inhabitants.
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

“Ther e’s been a chemical spill in the labs! Everyone, it is advised that premises be evacuated until it can be taken care of!”

He lost count of the times he had yelled that as he paced down the halls. He ignored the frantic steps of the people as they pushed to escape. He remembered the last time there had been a chemical spill, but he only acknowledged that thought. He walked against the onslaught of people. They shoved him, but he had cared not. Better to be shoved than killed.

His eyes were keen to anyone that resembled either of his two missing partners. He did not wish to meet Xehanort, but if a meeting was inevitable he would handle it. Braig, might well believe his words and be hysterically driving down the hallways as well. Dilan had seen no sign of him, however, by the time he reached the second eldest apprentice’s room. Manners were the last thing on his mind as he opened the door and peered inside.

“Braig!”

There was no answer from within in the room, and none from anywhere around him either. Dilan left the door open as he forced his way back into the retreating crowd and made his way towards the kitchens. If Braig wasn’t in his room he’d be stuffing his face. If he thought there was just a drill going on he would linger as long as possible where he was.

Dilan’s hands tightened on his lance as he came in sight of the kitchen’s entry. He burst into the room, but there was no sign of the man there.

“Braig! Are you here?!”

Nothing. He glanced at the hall which was now dwindling in its capacity. Where the hell was Braig? Dilan felt his chest constrict. Braig wouldn’t go to the library of his own free will. That meant he was still in the aviary. Still there? That thought did not seem comforting. Dilan took a gulp of air and wasted no more time. He shot from the kitchens and sped down the hallway until he reached the nearest staircase. When he entered he was meet with a strange feeling.

Upon stepping within the stairwell he was stripped of all his closure. Was he being watched? He gulped forced his legs to pump. He ran up the stairs.

He felt bile rise in his throat once he crossed the threshold into the high floor corridor. The hall appeared as if a war had been battled. Doors were busted in; but the worst sight laid in that blood spattered some of the walls and floors. Scraps of ripped clothing littered the ground, some utterly stained in the well-known crimson. He could hear the birds in their dome going wild in distress. Dilan felt his hands begin to shake. He slowly and softly walked down the hallway. So the heartless had attacked this floor first?

Dilan’s mind flouted in confusion. Why the top floor? Would it not be easier to work their way up? He was no expert in planning battles, but why attack the top floor-unless they had a target. Dilan’s eyes focused on the doorway that lead to the aviary barely noticing as something dark passed in the way of the sunshine exuding from a window to return to the shadows elsewhere.

The door of the aviary was clawed and dented but surprisingly still on it's hinges. He ran to it and peered in. Claw marks trailed across the floor. The birds were still screeching madly and as his eyes scanned the room, all signs pointed to a battle. Dots of blood splattered the floor and, just as in the hallway strips of ripped clothing joined them. Near the door was a larger puddle of the scarlet fluid. Dilan knew all this belonged to Braig. Tears welled up in his eyes. It couldn’t be, Braig was strong. He survived. He was just-just hiding! Yeah, that was it.

“Braig!” Dilan’s voice was shaky. He stepped across the floor, pushing the disturbed racket of the birds from his mind. “Braig! C’mon buddy, the creatures are gone!” He laughed; a hollow sound. It echoed around the room. He called his friend’s name again. Anxiety was clearly felt in the air as Dilan searched every corner, every cage, every space on the fl-

Something dark caught his eye. Time jumped and then paused. He picked up the dark wad of fabric and he felt the tears in his eyes begin to descend the contours of his face. In his hand he held Braig’s eye patch. He clenched it tightly in his free hand and his other tightened around the lance until it caused his palm to ache.

Braig couldn’t be gone! He wasn’t! But, he was. One question plagued Dilan: Had Braig been a victim of heartless or Xehanort? Did Xehanort truly have the ability to murder in cold blood? Yes.

That answer stung. Xehanort had murdered that woman all those nights ago. He had callously given the word for quite a few to have died. He was more than capable of homicide. Dilan leaned back and placed his javelin against a bird cage. Braig was gone. And that Bastard who had the gall act as if he was an innocent man had killed him, even if was just a loose connection.

“SON OF A BITCH!”

“Now, now, Dilan…I don’t think Braig would wish such foul words upon his grave. Surely you can find more civil talk in remembrance of him.”

Dilan grabbed his lance and turned swiftly to glare at Xehanort, his face ruby from both melancholy and rage. His enemy offered him nothing more than a knowing smirk.

“Yes, Braig is gone. Poor soul…a wyvern was his end. You’ll be comforted to know that the heartless died as well. Never knew that he was so talented with a knife. He always seemed quite a marksman using his pistol, but a knife? I’m-”

“Shut up! SHUT UP! You’re an asshole. You’re not even sad! I’ve had it with your mock innocence, your egotism. You think you’re an idol by just sitting back and laughing your ass off at our follies? You’re a coward! You sent the heartless to finish him.” Dilan laughed as adrenaline pulsed through his capillaries, “what, didn’t have the balls to finish him yourself, Xehanort? Couldn’t dirty your pretty hands with blood? Or you knew you couldn’t take him yourself?”

Xehanort tilted his head, his expression lethal. He, to Dilan’s dissatisfaction, did not become angry. His disposition was quite to the contrary. He became more amused at Dilan’s words. He chuckled softly, “Why stain my hands when I can merely manipulate someone else to do so? Then it cannot be traced to me,” his eyes widened and he placed a hand over his mouth. He mimicked surprise. “Oh no, the heartless did it!”

“BASTARD! You ordered them to take Braig down! You’re sick-no beyond that!”

“Dilan, language, tsk. I don’t know what I’m going to do if you insist on using such degrading words.” He shook his head. “And if I did order Braig’s death?” He glared at Dilan in questioning. “What would you do? What makes you think I couldn’t arrange the same fate for you?”

“You are one deranged son of a bitch. Even if I do have to die you’ll be stopped, I swear it!”

Xehanort dodged the swing of his javelin as Dilan rushed him. He flicked a wrist and grabbed the weapon. “Dilan, acting rashly does nothing. You have to plan. Ever heard the words ‘He who angers you conquers you’? I do believe I have accomplished that.” He twisted the spear and roughly pushed back. Dilan fell to the floor, lance sliding out of reach.

“You-you-What in Heaven’s name are you?!”

Xehanort nimbly pranced over to Dilan and stepped on his right hand. Dilan gritted his teeth against the pain as Xehanort ground his heel into the appendage. “I am…Ansem the Seeker of Darkness.”

“You Mother F-GAH!” Xehanort stomped on his wrist.

“That old man deserves not his name anymore; especially on account he is no longer around to enjoy its gifts. And Dilan, what I have told you about your language?”

“Hey, Xehanort, here's an idea: Go screw yourself with a rusty sword!” He grabbed Xehanort’s foot with his free hand and twisted it painfully. Xehanort fell to the floor as well and with a hiss more fierce than a feline. Dilan stood up and ran to get his javelin. Once he had reached it he picked it up and stood his ground again.

“You should have been rid of me when you had the chance. You’re going to regret every punch you laid me, every spiteful word. Dilan, how dare you and the others decide to grow back bones all of a sudden. What happen to the silly boys I could so easily control? I could have given you power, but you’ll oppose me just because of some ignorant beliefs?!”

Dilan growled, “If anyone is to be called ignorant it’s you. You’ll never be level with Ansem! Never! If you take down everyone of us who has defied or angered you in someway then you’re no better than a common criminal! Forever you’ll be known as the traitor who took down King Ansem of Radiant Garden.”

“And you and you’re other friends will follow in that name. No one knows you’re not as guilty, any of you…I’ll be taking all of you with me. Six traitors…sounds fabulous doesn’t it? And it's more or less true, try as you might to rid your conscience of the thought.”

Dilan stilled, “You’re going to murder all five of us because we revolted? Differing ideas are no warrant for death.” Xehanort raised his hand and tapped his cheek, contemplation spreading across his features.

“True differing ideas is no justifiable reason, but if I allowed you to live what would you do, Dilan? Stop me, right? Well, you see, I just couldn’t let you do that.” He smiled, "Besides, who are you now to speak of what merits death? Would you please stop trying to act innocent?"

Dilan held out his spear in preparation for either defense or attack, “Why don't you shut the fuck up? I’m getting tired of hearing your voice.”

“Confident aren’t we?” Xehanort walked towards Dilan leisurely. He observed as the man flinched with every step he took, but did not move. ‘He’s not totally inept. He’s predicting that I’m wishing to back him into a corner.’ He smiled menacingly. He paused his advance when he was almost in range to touch the weapon if Dilan were to point it. He leaned back, balanced on the balls of his feet. He snapped his fingers, which perplexed Dilan and then launched himself full force at the man.

Dilan crossed the spear to block any assault that Xehanort was attempting. Xehanort hit the weapon, his hands resting inches away from Dilan’s own. They were nose to nose. Xehanort cocked an eyebrow, raised one hand, and a dark orb of energy appeared. Dilan’s face froze. He had been caught. Xehanort brought his hand up and aimed it level with Dilan’s chest and- then Xehanort fell to the ground.

Dilan had kicked his feet out from under him. The man backed away and raised his own hand. Xehanort jumped to his feet, shielding his face with an arm. He leapt to the side, barely escaping the gust of wind that had been thrown at him.

“Not bad, Dilan, you’re quite talented in air-spells.”

Dilan didn’t reply he raised his hand again bent on releasing a more powerful magic, but unexpectedly something latched around his wrist. He couldn’t hold back the yelp of pain that was caused. It felt as if the hand was being wrenched from it’s socket. He relaxed the muscles to relieve some of the pressure and persuade whatever creature had immobilized his arm to slacken it’s vice.

He craned his neck to witness the massive, black hand that felt as if it could break his bone. He seethed and followed the arm up, looking for the bulk of its body. The creature chose that moment to lean forward, his thick breath rolling on Dilan’s neck.

A demon from Hell, one of Lucifer’s most trusted soldiers, seemed to be his captor. He knew it was a heartless, but it was terrifying. It growled lowly with every exhale. “You like my guardian? Call it a gift for casting away all human containment. My body will last a few days at best; a pity it is that we are confined to such a weak shell.”

Dilan whipped his head around and opened his mouth to scream at the man. Xehanort beat him to it. “Don’t waste anymore breath only to shout obscenities at me. Besides I have a question for you.” Dilan knew he wasn’t going to enjoy the question at all, if the way Xehanort’s eyes gleamed in insane pleasure was any indication. “Have you ever wondered what our subjects felt like as we filled their bodies with darkness? Have you ever wondered what the transformation to a heartless felt like?” He knew the bastard knew the answer to that question, he was also aware that there would be no need to reply. “You’ll be experiencing that shortly, but there’s no way for me know your feelings on the subject.”

Dilan watched with narrowed eyes as Xehanort rose a hand. As if given some unseen sign the “guardian” grasp the hand Dilan had been carrying his lance and excruciatingly flicked it. The spear clattered to the floor. His arms were then pulled behind his back. He screamed at the agony that seared his muscles.

“I don’t need the lab anymore. I’ve found a way to produce the same effect without it.” Another dark orb, resembling the one Dilan had stopped him from unleashing previously formed in his hand.

Dilan stilled. “Bastard.”

Xehanort ignored the term and he released the sphere. It connected with Dilan’s chest and burrowed in until it was half in-half out. Dilan froze as the pain enveloped his body. It was just a dull ache, however. Xehanort stretched his fingers and more energy was applied to the embedded orb. It was then that the throbbing intensified. He hissed.

“Still going strong? Then I see no reason not to use my full force.”

Dilan found himself howling after that. His eyes began to glaze over; his heart was going to explode. He was no longer in control of his body; his pain receptors dictated every reaction. He began to thrash wildly, but he would not ask for mercy. His eyes flicked around the room, catching upon a figure in the glass that made up the right wall by the smashed door.

Everything was growing duller. He felt the creature release him and he fell to the ground his agony echoing on the room. The last thing he heard was the sound of glass breaking.

“Ae…le…us…” He sputtered. He was wasn’t conscious when he hit the floor; he couldn’t have known it, but he never reached the floor. His body was gone. It faded away seconds before it would have impacted.

Xehanort turned on his heel and observed as Aeleus stood behind him, transparent glass littering the floor from his impulsive dash. Blood dripped from his face, hands, and any other uncovered patch of skin. Shards of the stuff also glittered in his hair.

“You are aware that there is a perfectly functional door not four steps that way right?” He jerked his thumb to the left.

“Well,” Aeleus gruffly replied, dusting the shards from his hair, “you can’t jump dramatically through wood.” The small joke over, his eyes rose and flashed in a dangerous air.

Xehanort returned his glare, but was caught by astonishment when the floor lurched beneath him. He fumbled and fell to his knees. He mouth pulled into frown.

“That wasn’t proper.” Aeleus was in front of him before he had finished. “Proper?! To hell with battle etiquette!” He smacked him in the side of the face with his foot. “You have no right to speak of fair play!”

Xehanort groaned painfully from the facial attack, but he choked as he found Aeleus’ fist digging into his stomach. He only gurgled coarsely. Amber met unforgiving cobalt. That was the last sight he’d see for a while. It was a look that promised defiance. A look that made a vow Xehanort would be giddy to destroy.

You won’t win…
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

Even and Ienzo sat at the table in the library, each staring not at the other but at their hands as thought after thought crashed upon the shores of their minds. Doubt, terror, rage, regret, every emotion flitted and fizzled and was reborn. They were on edge, neither talking. Was this what going mad felt like? How could one survive it?

A sturdy knock sent them flying from their chairs. Even stood holding his shield-he’d had one in his room- out before him. Ienzo followed suit behind him, clinging to a sword he had taken from a coat of arms.

“Guys, it’s Aeleus let me in.”

His voice was soft and dead. Was Dilan-no more important at the moment- was this a trap? Even took it upon himself to find out.“Aeleus? Prove it!”

They heard grumbling. “There’s no time for this.” His muttered words revealed his spirits, but he sighed. “Ienzo, I’m sorry. It was me that told that girl you liked her last year.”

“Alright, Even, let him in.”

Even hesitant obeyed. Aeleus entered and hung his head. “I-I couldn’t save him. Xehanort has taken three lives now.”

“Braig…Dilan…” Even placed a hand on Ienzo’s shoulder. “They won’t die in vain. I miss them already too.” Aeleus sat down at the table, “The details of Dilan’s death are not something I wish to discuss right now. I’ll inform you later. Right now all you need to know that Xehanort has a servant…A gigantic heartless that does his bidding, his ‘guardian' as he calls it. There’s no doubt in my mind that he also has superiority over the other heartless as well.”

“Do you think he’s one of them at this point?”

Aeleus shut his eyes, “Not something we really have time to contemplate, Ienzo, and it really doesn’t make a difference at the present.”

“How could he be a heartless,” Even posed, “they’re nothing more than mindless beings who act as rabid dogs do.”

“But Xehanort’s different…Always has been.”

“And that’s why we’re in this mess, because we failed to realize how different he was!”

“Ienzo, Even! That is enough! I managed to knock him out, but he’ll awaking soon. We need a concrete plan! Are you both listening?”

The two nodded. It was ironic that Aeleus, though not the youngest, wasn’t the oldest either. He seemed to he the leader, but why not? He did come across as more calm at the moment.

“Aeleus, you said he had a ‘guardian’? If so, where is it? It didn’t follow you?” Aeleus shook his head at Even, “No, it just watched me as I left. It acts only upon directions from Xehanort it seems. Otherwise it is the most mindless heartless I’ve seen.”

A short-lived silence fell between the trio. It was a tense hush as they awaited for someone to say something. Ienzo leaned back against the table. His eyes centered on the barricaded door. “We can’t stay here. This castle is not safe in the least. Xehanort is an ever-looming threat, and to think straight we need to go somewhere where he isn’t. Either we retreat to the outside or we find refuge on another world. The people here are in no immediate danger as of yet. We’re his targets not them, though the heartless would no sooner devour them as well.”

Even shifted, “ I agree with Ienzo.”

Aeleus stood and nodded, “Then it is settled. Let’s go explore the gummi hangar. We need to be sure that there is a functional ship, should the need to escape arises. However, I believe we need to stay here as long as possible before we retreat.” He walked to the door and his hands grabbed an axe hung as decoration upon the wall. “We’ll need to use the outside entrance if we wish to avoid as much confrontation as possible. C’mon we need to hurry.”

He unlocked and pushed open the door. He peered outside into the corridor; with a gesture, they ran from the room and across the floor to the door that would lead to the courtyard. They met little to no resistance. They disposed of a few low level heartless. So Xehanort was controlling the higher ones. That made their quest simpler, or so they were lulled falsely for a good while.

Aeleus in the lead, they entered the gummi hangar and stared across the smooth floor to the place where the stairs to the underground lab laid. A strange, but not unfamiliar sound was what alerted them that something was amiss. They turned their gazes upward and they stiffened.

The hangar was a house for the machines that mechanically produced heartless as well, and the capsules were producing the monsters at an alarming rate. “He’s amassing an army!”

“Very correct, Even. What is a king without his knights?” That voice-

Aeleus had already been facing that direction and had only to turn his vision to the right. Ienzo and Even turned completely and gazed in the direction that Aeleus was. Xehanort stood there about 900 yards away. He took a simple step towards them and gestured upwards.

“A little slow to the party, aren’t you?”

“Taking us down isn’t enough for you?!” Aeleus’ furious shout lanced through all the other noise, “You have to destroy our world as well?!”

Xehanort chuckled, “I call it the greatest experiment ever committed! There’s no shortage of test subjects.” Ienzo clenched the hand that wasn’t toting a sword, “Experiment, you mean mass genocide!” Xehanort smirked, “Call it what you will, it doesn’t bother me, you three won’t be around to see its fruition so any negative comments can be ignored. Oh, and don’t think about trying to escape, any of you. You won’t make it out of this room, let alone this castle.”

He flicked his wrists and a large number of the artificial heartless, Emblems, and the other natural ones surrounded the trio. They even amassed the number necessary to separate the group. Even was cut off from his companions. All of them had no choice but to back away from the creatures that advanced upon them.

Even raised his shield, prepared to block any attacks. He ground his teeth, staring at the heartless who returned the look with one of hunger and bloodlust. ‘Mindless creatures.’ Spikes of ice emerged from the ground, killing some and only impaling others. He had attacked, let the battle begin.

“Blizzard!” A thick coating of ice wrapped around his assailants. Even frantically threw his shield in a 360 arc, finishing a majority of his problems. He was offered a single glance at Aeleus and Ienzo. They seemed to be faring well against their own enemies. Even smiled gratefully and caught his weapon as it flew in front of him. He glowered at two large, fat heartless. Large Bodies, the name went unspoken, but recognized in his mind. They were his last obstacle, then he’d join his companions to defeat the other heartless. A stand against Xehanort was sure to follow that.

He vaguely wondered if there was any hope of defeating the man without sacrificing his own life. And for the first time since that morning, his mind thought of Raine. He sighed, he never guaranteed her anything. He would try his damnedest to live and he was, but he was doubting it would be enough. He dodged an attack by one of the massive heartless. Ice crystals were thrown at one of them, while Even threw his weapon at the other. He heard the growls of pain from both. They were down. He smirked.

Catching his shield once again he raised his hand, “BLIZZARD!” The ice attack finally finished them off. They faded, hearts released from their bodies acting as the only proof they had ever existed. Even turned around and his aqua eyes focused on Ienzo and Aeleus. Now to help them.

His muscles sang with adrenaline as he jogged towards his companions and their battle. He prepared himself to freeze the floor once he was in range, but he wasn’t given enough time to cast the spell.

Just as he came in range to effectively conjure, an atrocious entity appeared before him, blocking his way. Even jumped back in surprise, a gasp strangling his throat. He was jarred from behind as he hit something solid. He pivoted and came face-to-face with Xehanort.

“So sorry Even, but that just wouldn’t be fair, letting you aid your friends. They seem to be doing just fine without you, so how about you and I have a talk.”

“You’re lunatic! That your guardian behind me? He’s very smart, didn’t even attack Aeleus after he knocked you out cold. That must have been a real eye-opening experience, by the way.”

Xehanort sniffed at the comment, but otherwise remained neutral, “Well, at least my guardian can follow orders. And since he only listens to me, I don’t have to worry about any kind of defiance from him. He’s perfect.”

Even snorted. Xehanort smiled softly, “Yes, have your laugh, but do remember who amongst us is dead and why.”

Even's face hardened, “You son of a bitch! How can you have the audacity to utter those words!” Even threw his shield at the man, but Xehanort, to Even’s shock not only dodged it, but caught it as well. “Because I did them, you knew this…and you, Even, what you’re thoughts on being the next in line?”

Even did not know where the strength came from, but he crossed his arms over his chest and began to laugh. Soft at first it grew in pitch, “Do it then, Xehanort…My death will only cause my comrades to become more determined to beat you. And if I must be sacrificed in order to see success then so be it. I’m willing to risk it.” He took a step forward until he was a breath away from Xehanort. “Do it.”

“Even, Even, Even,” Xehanort cajoled, placing a hand on his shoulder, “what a brave one you are…I cast King Ansem into oblivion, had the heartless devour Braig’s heart, and Dilan…he suffered the same fate as our test subjects, only I supplied the darkness.” His dark whisper had the effect he wanted. Even’s face lost it’s amusement and courage. “You, Even…I think you deserve a better death. You will die a more horrifying and agonizing death than any of them, and you know why.” Even hissed as Xehanort’s hand clamped on his shoulder before releasing it and roughly grabbing the collar of his shirt.

“It’s so comforting to hear and observe that your reasoning is so childish. I’ll see you in Hell, Xehanort, and when I do, I promise to beat the shit out of you.”

Xehanort laughed loudly and Even felt the whole room become silent. Had Aeleus and Ienzo defeated their section of heartless. Were they watching him die? He smiled bitterly, feeling his feet dangling as Xehanort lifted him. ‘Guess this is it. And just when I was getting cocky too. I’m sorry Raine; I see we’ll never be able to determine if it was just a crush. Move on and don’t cry too long for me. Tears are always a sad thing to see upon a woman’s face, especially yours.’ He closed his eyes, not witnessing as Xehanort raised a darkly glowing hand. His eyes and mouth sprung open, nonetheless when he felt the appendage enter his chest.

It felt as if ice wrapped around his heart. It was cold to the bone and felt his body tremble. It was as if his chest was freezing from the inside, then it came. He felt a tug and something broke within him. His vision was hazy and from somewhere he heard a scream. He realized just moments before it excelled in volume that it was his own. His heart was being wrenched from his chest, not his physical one, but the spiritual manifestation.

“NO, EVEN!” Ienzo’s hoarse scream was the last thing he heard as he surrendered to the darkness. Everything went silent.

“You sick bastard! You diluted son of a bitch!”

Ienzo glared at Xehanort through tear-stained eyes. He watched as Even faded in Xehanort’s grip and he released the heart he held in his hands. The glowing object fluttered upward.

“How could you-how could you?!” Ienzo was sputtering. It was too much for his young mind. Aeleus pushed him behind him.

“Stay here, Ienzo. Xehanort! it ends here.”

“Aeleus, I couldn’t agree more. Come Guardian!”

Aeleus spread his legs and grasped his axe tightly, “Can’t fight me yourself? You’re going to use your lap dog?”

“Trust me, I’ll be doing most of the attacks. He’s more of a defense.” Aeleus snorted, “We’ll see how honest you are. Going off earlier evidence, I’m wary about trusting you.”

“Believe what you will, it’ll only lead to your end!” Xehanort was growing weary of talk, it was time for action. Aeleus felt the same way. Thus began the stare off. Who would attack first. Aeleus smirked, a blatant challenge. Xehanort frowned and rose to the call.

He launched himself at the burly man. Aeleus side-stepped, but was caught in the jaw by the Guardian. He seethed and nursed his jaw glaring at innocent faced Xehanort.

“I never said what kind of defense!”

“You’re no better than a child with a box of matches and a house around him!” Xehanort laughed at the comparison. “Aw, poor, ‘Leus…you wound me.”

“Shut the hell up!”

They met axe to javelin. Xehanort had stolen the weapon from Dilan. “You’re going to have to do better than that, Ael.”

He retreated backwards and watched as Xehanort suddenly began to hover, his loyal guardian at his rear. He chortled menacingly. Aeleus launched himself at the man, taking advantage of his distraction.

“You shouldn’t be boasting so much in the middle of a fight!” His axe slashed Xehanort across the chest, his clothing ripping away in the presence of the sharp object. He was knocked back, screeching.

Xehanort brought a hand up and inspected his newly acquired injury. Warm blood coursed through his fingers, staining his clothing. “You’re going to regret that.”“Talk, talk, talk…You going to back that up?”

Xehanort growled. The ground beneath Aeleus exploded in simple terms. Darkness mushroomed from it. Aeleus shrieked as it attacked him both internally and externally. His body was burning. His clothing showed the damaged as he gave it sound. He couldn’t attack Xehanort with an earth spell, the man was airborne--no, it could work.

The ground shook and a wall of Earth flew towards Xehanort. “Come Guardian!” The beast materialized in front of him. “You’re going to have to do better than tha-” His speech stopped as he took a deep breath. He screamed loudly from the pain. Aeleus had used the spell as a distraction and attacked him the rear.

When Xehanort turned he snapped his fingers and the Guardian released disks that flew at Aeleus, who not expecting the assault so soon after his own was caught unawares. And that set the pace of the battle.

Aeleus would either cause Xehanort to protect himself from in front or behind with an earth spell and attack the undefended side while Xehanort blasted him with orbs of darkness, that explosion, or the Guardian’s disks. All in all it seemed they were equally matched, but Xehanort seemed to be tiring quicker.

Aeleus watched him sagging in mid-air. “Darkness takes a lot of energy to control fully doesn’t it? You probably don’t even full control. Give up Xehanort! If you don’t I’ll have no qualms about killing you in the exact same ways you killed our comrades and king!”

“I’d rather die than just give-up! I’m no coward. GUARDIAN!”

Those disks were thrown at him again. Aeleus had learned quickly to dodge them. He side-stepped, but what he hadn’t expected was the hand that clawed into his shoulder. He moaned sharply at the throb that laced into his skin. His eyes met Xehanort’s and he saw the Guardian was no longer at his side. He knew then what got a hold of him.

“Aeleus!”

“Ienzo, stay back!”

“But-”

Xehanort cut him off when he snapped his fingers, “Insolence! Submit!”

The dark servant that held Aeleus’ shoulder released him, but then he felt the scratch and the agony as the thing was absorbed into his body, though at the moment he didn‘t know that’s what caused his anguish. He was paralyzed, “What the-”

He screamed till his throat was raw as he witnessed that ghoul emerge from his body only to burrow back in. He dropped his weapon and fell to the floor. Xehanort was now back with his feet on the ground. He walked over to Aeleus and stared at him then at Ienzo.

Aeleus shook his head. “Ienzo, no matter what happens, don’t try to save me! RUN! GET OUT OF HERE!”

He didn’t hear any retreating footsteps. He moved to get up, but was prevented. Something cold had wrapped around his feet and hands, confining him to the ground.

“I bid you farewell, my friend.” Xehanort waved his eyes glittering viciously. He snapped his fingers and the Guardian burst from his chest, holding his heart. Aeleus’ end was a quick prick of indescribable pain then nothing.

Ienzo was frozen in his anger, disbelief, and fright as Aeleus met his end. He had heard Aeleus’ words for retreat, but his body couldn’t move. He fell to his knees when Aeleus disappeared. Sobs racked his body. His sword fell with a soft clatter from his hands.

Xehanort just watched him, killing him while he was crying wouldn’t be any fun. He’d die cursing him to Hell if he went, but he didn’t want to lose Ienzo so easily; the boy was intelligent and his mind could be put to use. What little boy didn’t want to have power or rule the world?

“Now you see what fool-heartiness brings you. You’re a clever boy, they didn’t deserve you. Come now, chin up, Ienzo…I can help you. Just join me. I can give you power, so much that sorrow won’t even matter. They were nothing compared to you, I would respect your talents. What do you say?”

Ienzo stood up, not caring that during his speech Xehanort had come to stand beside him and kicked the away the only defense he had. He heatedly frowned at the man, his red cheeks and sapphire eyes added to the effect. He shook in his ire as he stared Xehanort straight in the eyes.

“Go to Hell!”

Xehanort grabbed the youth’s arm almost instantly. Ienzo yelped. “A pity…you’ll be joining your friends then.” He drug him across the floor, he seemed to have no trouble even though Ienzo was kicking and violently struggling against him. Xehanort leered at the boy. “I don’t need my Guardian to take care of you.”

“You’ll pay for this you bastard! You’re going to Hell!”

Xehanort stopped pulling him. He stomped on the floor, not acknowledging Ienzo said anything for a second. Then he began to laugh deeply; Ienzo could feel its vibrations. Xehanort’s grip did not loosen however. The man pulled the youngest in front of him and allowed him to stare ahead. Ienzo’s face became pallid.

There, before him, the stairway to the underground laboratory was open, but instead of descending stairs it was a flood was ebony limbs and ravenous golden eyes. “If I’m going to Hell, then this was worth it. I have no regrets. Say hello to the others, Ienzo.”

The boy was pushed forward forcefully. He tried to regain his balance, but it was in vain. Ienzo fell into the pit of heartless. The automatic opening slid closed following him. Xehanort began his mindless laughter again. It drowned out the sickening sound of limbs being torn from their host but not of the terrible screams.

Those screams would have caused anyone else who was listening to become nauseous. They only pushed Xehanort to cackle harder and louder. They were all gone! Everyone who had dared to stand in his way was no more! He’d succeeded! He was wasn’t Xehanort any longer, no. Now he truly did deserve the title, Ansem the Seeker of Darkness.

His body was continuing to weaken; it’d last a week at most, but that was plenty of time to watch the world fall to darkness. This was his kingdom now. He raised his head and his insanity filled the room. Six people had met their ends to one person. Darkness was a maelstrom of power, indeed. The whole universe would know its touch. He would rule the cosmos and become all-knowing. No one would stop him, not even the legendary keybearer.

"…My path is set. I shall seek out the wielder of the keyblade and the princesses. My body is too frail for such a journey but I must do this. I will cast it off and plunge into the depths of the darkness."
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------

“Som e rise by sin, and some by virtue fall.”
--William Shakespeare, Measure by Measure--