Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Strange New World ❯ At the Academy ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

At the Academy
 
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1
 
Yusuke grunted as he felt a clawed hand grip his shoulder. “Detective, get up.” Hiei snapped, and when he got no more of a response from Yusuke he raised the temperature of his hand until Yusuke yelped in pain. “Good, at least you are awake now. That means that we can go and spar.” Yusuke rubbed his eyes as he sat up, and groaned as he looked out of the window. It was still dark.
 
“Hiei, its still dark.” Yusuke said as he turned his back on Hiei. “Go back home and go back to sleep. Who knows what we will have to deal with later on.” The next thing that Yusuke knew, he was on his back on the floor. “Bloody hell, Hiei, what is up with you?” He stared into the apparition's eyes. “I'm tired and I need to sleep. Please, Hiei, I promise to train with you later. I just need to sleep now.” With a disappointed growl Hiei left as he came, allowing Yusuke to climb back into bed, his eyes closing as soon as his head touched the pillow.
 
 
The next thing that Yusuke knew was that he was wakened by the smell of hot ramen, and Naruto's voice. “Yusuke-kun, there is ramen waiting for you!” Naruto shouted, Yusuke quickly dressed, and left his bedroom, entering the kitchen. “Classes start in two hours, however I am going to take you for some shuriken practise.” Naruto started eating breakfast, Yusuke following soon after. “You're lucky to have Iruka-sensei. He is a brilliant teacher if you listen to what he tries to teach. I'm sure that he would give you the shirt off of his back if you asked for it.” Yusuke nodded, continuing to slurp up the noodles.
 
Once breakfast was finished, Naruto led Yusuke to the training ground. “Once Iruka teaches you how to form your chakra, I can show you various jutsus to use in battle.” He gave Yusuke a few shurikens and a kunai. “Shuriken are always long distance weapons, and you need a lot of training with them to get to be a master like I am. Kunai are different. They can be used as both a long distance and also as a short distance weapon. More often as short distance though, considering that they have a handle.” By the time they finished speaking, they were at the training area, and just when they approached the targets for the shuriken throwing, an errant shuriken flew past the right side of Yusuke's face, cutting the skin. He followed the path of the shuriken and saw a blushing Kurama.
 
“Sorry, Yusuke-kun.” Kurama said. “I guess throwing a shuriken is more difficult than I first thought.” He ran over to the trees, searching for the lost shuriken. He soon returned with the shuriken and its seven siblings. “I swear metal doesn't like me.” As if to prove a point, Kurama threw a shuriken, making Sakura scream as it missed its target, heading straight for her. A moment later and Yusuke was running towards her, knocking her to the side just in the nick of time, getting cut by the shuriken instead. “Sorry, Sakura-san, Yusuke-kun.” Kurama said, before hearing laughter from one of the trees.
 
“Kurama, that was simply pathetic.” Hiei said as he leaped from the tree, with Sasuke behind him. “We have been watching you since you started and you still haven't improved one bit.” With a flick of his hand, Hiei had removed three of his own shurikens and threw them at one of the posts, each one hitting dead in the centre. “It isn't nearly so difficult as you are making out.” He looked at Yusuke from the corner of his eye. “I want to see how Yusuke fares.” Yusuke stepped forward, having watched Hiei, and copied his stance. He had never thrown a shuriken before and he knew that Hiei knew that. `Take your time, Detective.” Hiei told Yusuke telepathically, the sudden contact making Yusuke gasp in surprise.
 
“Sasuke, surely this can be dropped until later when Yusuke has had time to practise. It is obvious that Hiei-san has had more practise than Yusuke has had. Surely you can allow him to practise before the challenge has to occur.” Naruto said trying to interrupt the challenge. However Yusuke faced Naruto and grinned.
 
“Thank you for your concern, Naruto-kun, however I am a quick learner when I want to be.” Yusuke turned, once more, to the post. “However I do need time to get used to the shuriken, however I will get around to kicking your ass momentarily.” Concentrating on the movements that Hiei had done when he had thrown the three shuriken, and copied the movements. Yusuke threw three shuriken and missed the first two times, but hit it the third time. Yusuke then collected the shuriken and tried again, getting the same results.
 
 
It took over an hour for Yusuke to get all three to hit the target properly, and Kurama was still struggling with getting them close to the stump he was trying to hit. “Enough for now.” Sakura said. “You three need to go to class, it wouldn't look good on any of us if you three are late on your first day, would it?” She could clearly see the relief on Kurama's face. “Come on Shu… Kurama-kun.” She said, linking her arm with his and headed towards the Academy, Naruto, Yusuke, Hiei and Sasuke following behind them. “I'm sure that you will be much better than them when Iruka-sensei teaches you.” It was then that Sakura saw Ino walking towards them with Kuwabara behind her and snickered. “Ino-chan, I see that you have met Kazuma-san.” She said with a sweet smile. “May I introduce you to Shuichi-kun. He is staying with me.” She could clearly see that Ino was jealous. “I have Sasuke-kun in my group and Shuichi-kun living with me, I must be the luckiest girl alive.”
 
“Pleased to meet you, Shuichi-kun.” Ino said, glaring at Sakura. “I hope that you aren't being bored by big forehead girl there.” She winked at him. “My family runs a flower shop, feel free to visit any time. Kazuma-kun can show you where it is. I'll even give you some of the flowers that we have. Some look very beautiful at the moment.” She winked. “See you later, Shuichi-kun.” She then left Kuwabara to walk with the others, heading towards Shikamaru and Choji, the other members of Team Ten.
 
“Well that was interesting.” Kurama said as they finished the walk. “You and she seem to have a little rivalry going on, Sakura-chan.” He looked over his shoulder to the others. “It feels very much like the rivalry between myself and a friend of mine, names Yuu Kaito. We keep, well kept, vying for the most intelligent person in the class. However I have a feeling that it isn't over grades that you and she are competing, maybe a certain boy.” He motioned behind him, and saw Sakura blush. “By the way I don't like blondes.”
 
Leaving the boys at the Academy, the three Genins of Group Seven left, allowing them to go the rest of the way by themselves. Yusuke and Hiei then took up the roles of leaders as they went the rest of the way to Iruka's class and knocked on the door. Iruka quickly opened the door, welcoming them to the classroom. “You were going to be joining a class of between ten and twelve year-olds, however the Hokage asked another teacher to take them for the moment so I can take your training until you reach their level. However there is a chance that I could end up taking you four by yourselves. He motioned to the seats. “Please take a seat and I shall explain just what chakra is.” Iruka watched as the boys took seats. “First of all, chakra is a mixture of one's body energy, or stamina, and their spiritual energy. Chakra is required for life, and therefore everyone has some in their bodies. Using chakra, however, is totally different. That is why ninjas are so effective, and why they are hired.”
 
Yusuke yawned, trying to feign interest, however he was distracted by almost everything, including Hiei's new clothing, Kurama's hair and even his own fingernails. It didn't take long for Yusuke to nod off. The next thing he remembered was Iruka telling them that it was lunchtime and that they would be putting theory into practise after the break. Yusuke grabbed Hiei's arm as they filed out of the class. “Hiei, what on earth did I miss?” Hiei smirked hearing the question. It was just like the Detective to fall asleep in class.
 
“What's the matter, Detective, need help again?” Hiei asked almost innocently. Already a plan was forming in the apparition's mind. Yusuke didn't need to know all the details after all. When Yusuke replied agreeing that he needed the help, Hiei's smirk widened. “Oh we're only going to learn a few techniques that requires fine chakra control. Iruka-sensei said that one could even make you go mad if it isn't performed properly.” The look on Yusuke's face was priceless.
 
Looking over his shoulder, Kurama saw, a rather flustered, Yusuke and a smirking Hiei walking behind him. “What are you two lovebirds talking about?” Kurama teased. “I hope it's not your next tryst.” His words flustered Yusuke further, and embarrassed the fire apparition. “Come on, tell me what all that muttering was about.” When Hiei told Kurama what he told Yusuke, Kurama grinned. “That sounds about right. He said that it would help us control chakra formation. You really should have been awake instead of snoring.” With that Kurama headed off in the direction of the Haruno residence to get the lunch that Sakura's mother said she would prepare.
 
 
“Sasuke, want to get something to eat with Yusuke-kun and myself?” Naruto asked as they approached the group. “We're going to get ramen before they have to go back to Iruka-sensei for the afternoon.” The Uchiha nodded once. “Great, the old man will absolutely love us.” Naruto said happily, just as they met the other boys. “Ready for lunch, Yusuke, Hiei?” Naruto asked as he lead them towards the ramen restaurant. “Hey, old man, can we get four bowls of your special ramen?” He shouted as he and the others sat down.
 
“Ah, if it isn't young Naruto.” The owner said as he looked over at the group. “Sasuke-san, what a pleasant surprise to see you here. Your meals shall be ready in a moment.” He turned his attention back to cooking. “Naruto-kun, who are your new friends?”
 
“Oh, they just started in the Academy. The short one at the end is an Uchiha himself. Sasuke said something about him being from a branch of his family. I don't really know much about him.” By then, Naruto was almost drooling as the smell of the ramen reached his nose. “Smells delicious old man.” Not long after that and the ramen was ready to be served, and the moment that the bowls were set in front of the group, they started to eat.
 
 
Once they had finished, they headed back to the Academy, ready for the afternoon's lesson. Once they arrived back in class, Iruka looked at the four students. Already he had made a decision about them, equating them to former students. From there he knew how to work with each of them. Yusuke was probably like a mixture of Shikamaru and Naruto, theoretical classes boring him, yet if it was practical, Iruka was sure that he would excel. Kuwabara seemed like a dumbed down Naruto. He seemed like the type that would nod and still not understand if it was explained 100 times. Hiei was like his `relative', Sasuke Uchiha. He seemed to absorb everything given to him. Kurama reminded Iruka of Sakura, another person that was good mentally, although weaker in the field than in the class. “Okay, class, please follow me.” He said as he led them outside.
 
A few hours later and Iruka called it a day. Yusuke and Hiei had both picked up the techniques easily, and Kurama wasn't far behind them. Kuwabara, however, was severely lacking the ability to concentrate enough chakra to do anything right, giving Iruka the nasty thought that he could be stuck with Kuwabara for a while. “Enough for the day, boys. Go home and get some rest. The real work begins tomorrow. I want you to keep working on those techniques, as I will be testing you on them in the future. When I have decided to test you, I want them to be perfected. You may go.”
 
 
As the days turned into weeks, and those weeks turned into months, the four ex Reikai Tantei became used to their new existence, and the memories that they had of their own world began to fade as they got into the routine of ninjas. It was hard to believe that they had been forcefully moved from one world to another. Even Hiei seemed to be at peace, more so than he had been in the built up Tokyo. Kakashi could see the difference clearly. A year ago they had been totally different, and now they fitted into Konoha as though they had been born there. He knew how hard the boys trained, having watched them practise what they learned in the Academy. He had watched as first Hiei, and then Yusuke would pick things up. Once they had then Kurama would get it with coaching from the other two. However Kuwabara seemed to be stuck in a rut, unable to change without a huge effort. “They are doing well, are they not, Kakashi?” Iruka asked as he appeared next to Kakashi on the tree. “”Are you sure that Yusuke isn't an Uchiha also? He seems to pick things up as quickly as Hiei-san does.”
 
“His last name is Urameshi, Iruka.” Kakashi said. However if he were also of a branch of the Uchiha clan, it would be more distant than that of Hiei.” He continued to watch them train. “I think that he would be more closely related to Naruto though. Have you seen how similar they are? Not in looks but in personality.” Iruka nodded. “How long do you think before they are ready to take that exam of yours?”
 
“In fact this is the exam that will decide if they pass or fail, if they fail then they can try again in a few months.” Iruka said, answering Kakashi's question. They are much quicker at learning than I first thought that they would be. Shuichi is especially good at classroom work, although he is lacking in the fieldwork department. It is such a shame that it looks like Kazuma will fail where the others will pass.” Iruka scratched his head. “I am going to make their exam more difficult than I normally would though. I heard that you would have to take them on as well as your own team when they pass.” Kakashi nodded. “I think you will get on with them as a group. Thank you and your team for offering to help me this exam though. It was very kind of you.”
 
“Let's get on with it though. I think that they have had enough time to prepare.” Kakashi raised the walkie-talkie to his mouth. “Team Seven, go to the meeting place, I repeat, Team Seven go to the meeting place.” A moment later and Sakura, Naruto and Sasuke were waiting for him, and then Kakashi leaped from the tree. “Right, today we're helping Iruka with his class. Our goal is to stop them, at all costs, from getting through the test. Use any method open to you at the time. If you allow them through, you get no lunch.” With mention of lunch, Naruto's stomach grumbled. Now he knew why Kakashi told them to eat no breakfast. “Sakura, you are taking on Hiei, Naruto you're taking on Kazuma, Sasuke you're taking on Shuichi and I am taking Yusuke.”
 
“Okay, boys, I believe that you have had enough practise and I need you to do a practise mission. This will be your graduation exam.” Iruka said giving the four boys a scroll each. “These scrolls contain a message that needs to be delivered. The place to leave the message is at the gate to Konoha. However there are hostile enemies in the area that will do anything to stop you. You must use the at least three of the five techniques that you have been practising since the start. The three techniques must have been used before you use any other techniques or bloodline abilities. Yusuke, you're up first.”
 
 
Yusuke stared at the entrance to the examination area, trying to determine what lay ahead, and then suddenly ran into the area. The moment that Yusuke entered the examination area, he used the first of his mandatory jutsus. “Henge no Jutsu.” He said, ready for the enemy ninjas. He had taken on the form of the one person that he had learned that many people feared, that of Kakashi Hatake. Continuing through the forest, he came face to face with Kakashi himself. Swearing he was forced to use the Body Replacement Technique (Kawarimi no Jutsu) to replace his body with that of a piece of wood when Kakashi threw three shuriken in his direction. From there he quickly used the Clone Technique (Bunshin no Jutsu) to try to get past Kakashi however he remembered that Kakashi could use his Sharingan Eye to see through the illusion, and instead he decided that he had only two choices, both learned from Naruto.
 
First he created many shadow clones using his Tajuu Kage Bunshin no Jutsu (Multiple Shadow Clone Technique) before having them all use Sexy no Jutsu, forming his own version of the Harem technique (Haaremu no Jutsu). Having the clones mob Kakashi, Yusuke stood back to see the effects, with a poof the shadow clone disappeared. Yusuke was rather disappointed that it wasn't the real Kakashi Hatake. However this allowed Yusuke to continue through the forest with his shadow clones until they came across Kakashi again, or rather a group of Kakashis. Leaving the clones to fight, Yusuke headed forward alone, keeping his eye on his surroundings.
 
`Naruto has taught him his signature moves.' Kakashi thought to himself as he followed in the trees. Getting slightly ahead, Kakashi started to do another seal, one that would, hopefully, stop Yusuke in his tracks. `Lets see how he likes being held by the earth.' Yusuke continued to run forward until he felt like the ground was giving way. Concentrating his spirit energy he used it to boost his jumps and speed. `Well, that didn't work. Lets see how he likes his own technique reflected back at him.' “Haaremu no Jutsu.” And with that fifty white haired, mask wearing, naked, female Kakashis stood between Yusuke and the end of the test. The clones threw themselves at Yusuke, crying “Yusuke-kun!” The sight scared the living daylights out of the fifteen year old, especially as they threw themselves at him. Forcing himself into action, Yusuke built up a lot of his spirit energy in his right hand. “Shotgun!” With the shout hundreds of miniature Spirit Guns flew from his hand and ploughed into the `Kakashettes' as Yusuke thought of them. Once there was a clean exit, Yusuke ran for it, leaving behind a clone to fight off the ladies. Panting, Yusuke plonked the message on the pedestal and sat waiting for the others. Kakashi went back to Iruka telling him the good, possibly bad news.
 
 
“Okay, it seems that somehow Yusuke has managed to get through to the other side. That means that the next person can begin, and that shall be…” Iruka took a moment to decide. “Hiei, I think.” The fire apparition nodded. “You can start whenever you are…” Before Iruka finished, Hiei disappeared into the forest, determined to use every bit of speed and skill at his disposal to get through quicker than Yusuke had. Moving from ground to tree, Hiei's speed and determination increased. No ninja would stand in his way of getting to the end of the exam.
 
Sakura, upon hearing that Hiei was on his way through, lay in wait. However before too long she saw a black blur pass her and chased after it. Hiei smirked as he watched her speed off; his clone had done the trick. It had been a bad idea for Sakura to have stood where she had been standing as her floral scent had given her away as surely as she had been standing in front of Hiei. Surely she knew that she should have stood downwind of Hiei and not upwind as she had been doing. “Henge no Jutsu.” He said as he used the Transformation Technique to take on the appearance of his `relative', Sasuke, and started running once more.
 
After a while Hiei heard Sakura shouting `Sasuke-kun' and remembering that he had taken on Sasuke's appearance, he stopped. “Sakura-san.” He said trying to act and sound like Sasuke. “The Hokage has summoned the Jounins to an urgent meeting, and Kakashi-sensei has had to go. He wants us to meet him at the entrance to the village. The dobe is with Kakashi-sensei, so we should hurry.” With that Hiei started running once more, albeit slower than he normally would, having to keep up the appearance that he was, indeed, Sasuke Uchiha.
 
A short time later and the entrance of the village was seen and Hiei made a break for it, dropping the technique he closed the distance between himself and Yusuke before Sakura could have the chance to stop him, earning himself a pass too.
 
 
Iruka, upon seeing Sakura entering the glade, looking dejected, had a good idea what had occurred. “Kakashi-san, it looks like your subordinates needs to come back to my class.” Iruka teased. “Perhaps a Jounin like yourself needs to be taught a thing or two in my class too.” He looked at his own remaining students. Perhaps Kuwabara would be able to get through the course in the end after all. “Okay, Kazuma, you're up next.”
 
Kuwabara moved restlessly, knowing that it was possible that he could pass or fail. So far Kakashi and Sakura were in the glade, and if they were here, that meant that Sasuke and Naruto were still out there. `Come on Kuwabara.' He thought. `You can do this.” He then entered the forest, not knowing what lay ahead of him.
 
Naruto giggled to himself. He already had a plan to catch Kuwabara, using information from a picture that Yusuke had shown him. “Henge no Jutsu.” Once the smoke cleared, a beautiful, blue-haired girl stood in Naruto's place. `Now to get in front of him.' Naruto thought as he watched for Kuwabara. The moment that he saw the large, orange-haired guy, Naruto grinned and darted across Kuwabara's path, the white Kimono flaring behind him.
 
Kuwabara caught sight of the kimono and the blue hair, and remained transfixed by the sight for a moment. “Yu… Yukina-san!” He shouted and followed Naruto through the trees. `What is my beloved doing here?' Kuwabara thought as he followed `her'. He soon found himself in a glade, and in the centre stood his `Yukina'. “Yukina, my love, how did you find me? Was it the call of the destiny that we share?”
 
“Oh, Kuwabara-san, how I have missed you.” Naruto said, trying to sound like he meant it. “Come and watch the clouds with me, please.” Kuwabara just walked over to her and lay down in the grass. `Yusuke never told me he was so enamoured by her that he would do anything she asked.' Naruto thought. `Well, here it goes.' Naruto drew on his charka. “Yukina Haaremu no Jutsu.” A moment later and ten scantily clothed Yukinas stood before Kuwabara, paralysing him to the spot with lust. However it was when all ten pounced on Kuwabara that the real psychological damage took place as a red haze descended over the glade. Naruto quickly tied up an unconscious Kuwabara, saying; `This works every time.'
 
Naruto dragged Kuwabara back to Iruka. “Here you go, Iruka-sensei.” Naruto said happily. “I have your errant student right here.” He grinned at Kakashi. “Kakashi-sensei, I believe that I deserve my lunch after that.” Sakura glared at Naruto, who was looking extremely pleased with himself. Naruto looked around the glade. “Um, Kakashi-sensei, where is Yusuke and Hiei?”
 
To stop Kakashi from having to answer the embarrassing question, Iruka cleared his throat. “We still have Shuichi-san to go through the examination.” He said, seeing relief in his friend's eye. “Questions can be kept until the end of the examination process.” Iruka looked at Kakashi. `You owe me one, Kakashi-kun.' He thought, knowing that something perverted would be running through his friend's mind. “Anyway, please begin when you are ready, Shuichi.”
 
Kurama had a good idea on what lay ahead of him. He knew that his Uchiha opponent was a fire user, and not a foe to be underestimated. He would have to watch the fight carefully to make sure that he didn't lose. To do that Kurama knew that he would need all his skills and abilities to be at hand, and so he used his three mandatory Jutsus before he even entered the forest.
 
Once Kurama entered the forest, his first action was to search for Sasuke, and he found out that the Uchiha was heading in his direction. This excited Kurama as there was something that he had wanted to try out on one of his friends for a while, and who better than Sasuke? He allowed his energy to infuse the area the moment that he knew Sasuke was close, and waited, a knowing smile on his face. This would be fun.
 
Sasuke could see Kurama from where he was crouching, and had to fight his curiosity to find out what amused the red-head so. He had forgotten the fact that Kurama was a very skilled plant user and the fact that the forest was his playground. He guessed that Kurama was up to something, but he had no idea just what that was until he felt both his arms being bound by vines and two others wrapping themselves around his legs. It was only then that Sasuke began to struggle, the scene reminding him of one of Kakashi's older books, Icha Icha Horror, where the hero was vine raped by an evil tree spirit.
 
Seeing that Sasuke was securely trapped, Kurama took a leisurely walk through the forest, releasing Sasuke when he was far enough away that the Uchiha couldn't influence the kitsune any more. “I never expected that both of you would get through the test.” Kurama said, greeting Yusuke and Hiei. “Kuwabara failed, by the way.” A moment later and Iruka, Kakashi, Kuwabara, Naruto, sakura and a very embarrassed Sasuke arrived on the scene. “What ever is the matter, Sasuke-kun?” Kurama asked innocently.
 
“You speak of what transpired in the exam and I will make your life a living hell.” Sasuke said darkly. “I didn't appreciate it at all.” Kurama frowned, he was sure that Sasuke would have seen the funny side of it, then again Sasuke was the stoic member of Team Seven. Probably Naruto would have been a better choice.
 
“Well done, you three.” Iruka said as he approached the trio. “You three have passed the exam and I would like for you to come to the classroom tomorrow for an introduction to the life of a Genin. Kazuma-kun, it looks like we are stuck with eachother for a few more months. Tomorrow you will get a day off from lessons since I have to deal with your friends before we continue.” He handed Yusuke, Hiei and Kurama a forehead protector each. “Wear them with the pride of Konoha.”
 
 
At lunchtime, Sasuke, Sakura and Kakashi could only watch as Naruto and the others slurped down the ramen, their stomachs growling in protest to the unfair treatment they were receiving from the wonderful smells. “Are you sure that you won't eat something.” Naruto said as he passed his newest bowl of ramen under Sasuke's nose. “It's delicious.” The Uchiha only glared at Naruto, trying to think of anything but the tempting noodle dish that Naruto was slurping up. The sight was too tempting for Sasuke not to take advantage of however and in one quick, fluid, motion; Naruto's head was forced into the bowl of ramen by his dark-haired companion. Holding Naruto in place for a few seconds, Sasuke released him once he thought that Naruto learned his lesson. Everybody pretended not to have noticed the incident, while hiding laughter behind their hands. Naruto raised his head, the noodles and vegetables that had stuck to his face dropping back into the bowl. “Sasuke, that was perfectly good ramen!”
 
Sasuke avoided the slap Naruto aimed at him. “Is that all you've got, dobe?” Sasuke asked. “That seemed rather lame, even for you.” That seemed to irk Naruto, making Sasuke smirk. He could see the fiery look in Naruto's eyes, the same look that he had when somebody confronted him about his, mostly unrealistic, dream to become Hokage. “If that is all becoming a Hokage takes, then I'll be there long before you will.”
 
Yusuke and the others watched in amusement as the two boys started fighting. The pair reminded Yusuke of Hiei and himself, how they would deliberately annoy eachother until one of them snapped and then one of them would challenge the other; they would then fight until they were exhausted. Once that happened, after a rest, the cycle would then repeat itself, however as much as they fought, they were the closest of friends. Yusuke was sure that it was the same between Naruto and Sasuke. He couldn't wait to see if he was right or wrong.
 
 
Author's Note: I hope you are enjoying the fic. Please leave a reply if you are, as it makes me happy, and a happy writer writes more and better!