Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Strange New World ❯ The Chuunin Exams Part 2 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Chuunin Exams Part 2
 
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1
 
SPOILERS FOR THE CHUUNIN EXAMINATIONS
 
RECAP
~~~~
BOTH TEAM IRUKA AND TEAM KAKASHI HAVE PASSED THE FIRST TWO PARTS OF THE CHUUNIN EXAMINATION AND HAVE MET THE THIRD PROCTOR FOR THE CHUUNIN EXAMINATIONS, GEKKOU HAYATE.
 
"The names of the combatants shall be chosen randomly. The first shall be…" Names started flashing on the board, stopping at the moment that Hayate coughed. "Uchiha Sasuke versus Minamino Shuichi."
~~~~
 
 
Sasuke and Kurama looked at each other, surprised that they would be facing each other again, however both leaped down to the arena floor to start the battle. "When you are ready (cough) you may begin." Hayate said as he stepped back. Kurama reached into his hair and brought out two roses, taking one into each hand, they changed into Rose Whips. Sasuke had never seen this attack before, and was unsure on what Kurama would do with the whips, until he saw him take up an unusual stance. Kurama had lowered his centre of gravity, his right foot farther forward than his left foot was, which was stabilising his body. His right arm holding one of the rose whips aloft while his left hand was closer to the ground.
 
'I haven't had time to perfect this yet' Kurama thought, 'however if I just so happen to win because of this I will work harder on making sure that it becomes a brilliant defensive and offensive ability.' Kurama knew that the move was dangerous, a wrong move on his part could mean the loss of a limb or even his life; he had almost amputated his leg when he first tried it. Experimentally he turned on the spot to see how the ground reacted, and he kicked off the sandals he wore, finding out that he would have better footing on the ground that way.
 
Sasuke just watched what Kurama was doing. 'I am not going to start until he is ready.' The Uchiha thought. 'I could finish this now, but it isn't fair if he isn't ready for the fight to start.' When he saw Kurama smile, Sasuke took up his own fighting position. He could now see that if the whips were used while the body was in motion, they could act as both an offensive weapon, being able to cut through almost anything in their path. They also could provide a, potentially, lethal defence. However Sasuke knew that there were two attacks that could break that defence. "Sharingan!" With his Sharingan eyes, he could follow the movements of the whips as they flew through the air. The combination of both attack and defence left gaps in the technique that would have to be solved. However it was his lucky day that Kurama hadn't had the time to quite complete it. He just wished that he had his large shurikens to use Fuma Shuriken, Kage Fusha. However that wasn't meant to be. He used Katon: HÅsenka no Jutsu, for his attack.
 
Kurama was forced to change his attacks to deal with the fireballs aimed at him, however he never realised until it was too late that it was a two pronged attack, as the fireballs contained shuriken in their core. He managed to avoid all but one of the shuriken, which cut into his right elbow, burning his clothing and flesh, making him cry out in pain. Sasuke knew that Kurama's dominant hand was his right one, and that the hot shuriken made it difficult to remove. 'I forgot that he was an expert in fire jutsu.' Kurama chided himself. Kurama pulled out a few seeds from his hair and threw them at Sasuke, who blew a fireball at them, rupturing the tough shells surrounding much smaller seeds. The seeds grew into adult plants and spouted pollen into the air. Kurama immediately covered his mouth and nose, knowing that the demonic plant's pollen would make him sleep if he breathed it in, and Sasuke followed his movements, not knowing why Kurama did so, but also knowing that Kurama knew the plants better than he ever would. Using his free hand, Sasuke ripped the bottom of his jacket and tied it over his mouth and nose, once more freeing his hands. He ran at Kurama, knowing that the kitsune host found taijutsu difficult to deal with, especially if he could only use one arm, having to use the other to keep cloth over his nose. However when he got closer, he could see that Kurama had some plant over his mouth and nose.
 
Kurama had barely been able to get the plant to grow quick enough, but it had worked in time. However his right arm was still useless, and Kurama figured out that the ligaments had been torn on impact with the shuriken. He had only one arm to deal with whatever Sasuke was planning to use, and when he saw Sasuke running at him, Kurama became nervous. Sasuke was planning on using Taijutsu against him. No doubt that he would aim for the injured right arm, and intend to cause more harm to make him forfet the match. Before Sasuke had a chance to do the damage, Kurama raised his hand. "I concede this fight."
 
Sasuke nodded, accepting Kurama's withdrawal from the match and both leaped out of the pollen-heavy air, and was hit with water jets from Iruka and Kakashi before they got too close to their teams. The ground below had to be rinsed before the next bout began. "That was an interesting match." Kakashi said as he looked at the two soaked Genins. "Shuichi, you should go to the medic and get that wound checked out." Kurama nodded and did as Kakashi said.
 
Hatate approached the centre of the arena. "The winner of the first match is Uchiha Sasuke." The ill-sounding Jounin announced as names flashed up on the board again. "The next contest shall be between…" It took a moment for the names to settle. "The contestants will be Zaku Abumi versus Aburame Shino." The two combatants approached Hayate on the main floor. "When you are ready, you may begin." The two squared off against each other.
 
Shino immediately sent out his bugs, shocking his opponent by the sheer number as they surrounded him. "Planning on fighting with beetles?" Zaku said, laughing at Shino. "I will blast you and those creatures out of the arena." Shino only pushed his sunglasses up his nose.
 
"Really?" He asked. "Please feel free to do so, if you believe that it will help you win." Shino said. Zaku smirked and pointed one arm at Shino and the other at the insects behind him and tried to use his ability to manipulate air to do as he promised, instead he screamed in pain as he felt the air pressure blow up his arms, ripping the muscles.  "You took too long." Shino said. "These bugs thrive on chakra, and will enter bodies to get to the source of the chakra within. By now there will be a large layer of my insects crammed into the pipes in your arms. I'd imagine that you are in a lot of pain because of your attack." Shino had left Zaku very little choice but to surrender the fight.
 
"The winner of the second match is Aburame Shino." Hayate said as the insects that were still alive returned to their 'master'. 'Looks like we shall have a good number of Genin in the final.' Hayate thought as the next two names flickered onto the board. "The participants for match three are Uchiha Hiei and Kankuro." Hiei smirked and leaped to the arena floor the same time as Kankuro did.
 
Lee walked over to Yusuke and Hiei's group, stopping beside Sakura. "Hello, Sakura-chan." Lee said grinning. "Konoha is doing well, we have at least two candidates going through to the finals, and we have a chance of them all being from Konoha, no matter how slim." Sakura smiled at him. "I hope to fight against one of my team members, Hyuuga Neji. He was the reason why I challenged the Uchihas. He is the best Genin that Konoha has."
 
"Hey, it's Fuzzy Eyebrows!" Naruto shouted as he and Yusuke ran over. "Who do you think will win?" He asked as he looked down on the fight. "I hope that Hiei wins, not just because he is a friend and Sasuke's cousin, but because I don't want that other one to go through."
 
 
"When you are ready, you may begin." Hayate said, as he started to sweat a little, his coughing increased in both intensity and regularity. The heat was playing havoc with his body. Hiei could see how uncomfortable Hayate was in the condition, however he wanted to see how Kankuro reacted.
 
"Do you think that that heat will hurt me?" Kankuro asked Hiei as he walked forward. "My village is in the middle of a desert. He saw Hiei's smirk widen. "What is your problem, you little brat?" Hiei briefly moved his attention to Hayate.
 
"Hayate-sensei, I suggest that you take to the gallery overhead. I don't think that this heat will do you any good and I fear that it could get worse down here." His gaze moved back to Kankuro. "He has given me a challenge and I intend on showing him what I can do with fire and heat." Hayate knew that he shouldn't leave the arena, however he was sure that the Hokage would understand. Very few Ninjas would be able to withstand the ever-increasing temperature of the arena bowl. Once Hayate left, Hiei grinned. "Let us see how you handle my family's speciality." Hiei did a few hand seals, making Sasuke stare. He had never seen Hiei attempt any Uchiha fire jutsus in the past, and now he was attempting to do a fireball. Hiei breathed in and exhaled a fireball, bathing Kankuro in the flame, hotter than normal as it was augmented by Hiei's own natural ability as a fire apparition.
 
When he stopped, he could see that Kankuro was burning. 'Puppet.' Hiei thought as he saw the real Kankuro emerge from the bandages on the puppet's back. "Hot enough for you?" Hiei asked as Kankuro threw three shurikens at him, one he caught and the other two he avoided easily. A moment later and he was beside Kankuro. "Watch." He whispered as he allowed his youki to flare around the shuriken, which changed from grey to red and then it caught fire and disappeared. Kankuro gulped seeing the show of Hiei's raw power. This boy scared him almost as much as his brother did.
 
Hiei smirked at the reaction. “I have a secondary Kekkai Genkai.” Hiei said. “I can control fire better than the main Uchiha clan can. In fact fire and ice doesn't phase me because of that ability.” A moment later and Hiei was back at where he started. “I am going to give you a chance to give up.” He said. “Think seriously about it, from now on I'll be fighting like I mean it.”
 
Kankuro could feel the gaze of both his siblings on him, and he feared them more than the firebrat before him. “I am not going to give up.” Kankuro said. “If I did, I would let down my family and my village, but most of all, myself. I worked hard to get here. We all did, and to give up is the coward's way out.” His gaze caught Hiei's smile, a genuine smile and not a smirk that he had shown before.
 
“You are more like me than I gave you credit for.” Hiei said as he removed the Uchiha-marked cloak he wore, revealing the katana he wore beneath it. “If I do end up killing you, you will be remembered as one of the few people I have met that deserves to be remembered, that has my respect.” He removed the katana from its scabbard. “Whatever happens will be quick.” In a black blur Hiei disappeared. He took his time, studying Kankuro, determining the Sand ninja's strengths and weaknesses. After all only a fool would rush in, and Hiei was no fool.
 
After determining what would be suited for the Sand ninja, Hiei attacked, his first hit was a glancing blow, meant to test Kankuro's defence against his attacks, however Kankuro didn't respond, as though he knew that the attack wasn't a real one. `That was more than likely a test.' Kankuro thought. `He uses a katana like a professional, so it is safe to assume that he wasn't intending to kill me.' However the hit distracted Kankuro enough for Hiei to place the tip of the katana against his throat.
 
“This is over. Do you surrender?” Hiei asked, and he released Kankuro when he nodded. Hayate returned to the centre of the arena, announcing that Hiei had won the match before calling for everybody's attention as the next two names appeared on the screen. It was Sakura's turn, and she was facing Ino. Both kunoichi walked to the arena floor. Sakura, hearing Lee's shouts of encouragement, felt her confidence grow.
 
“Well, if it isn't forehead girl.” Ino said as she came to a stop, her blue eyes looking into Sakura's green ones. “Whom are you fixated on now? Iruka-sensei? Kurama-kun?” She could see Sakura's eyes narrow. She looked up to where Sakura had came from and saw a boy, dressed in green, with fuzzy eyebrows, watching them. “Or is that boy up there your boyfriend now?” Sakura began to glare at the blonde.
 
“You may start whenever you are ready.” Hayate said as he leaped back to avoid the shuriken thrown at Ino by Sakura. `That reminds me why it is a bad idea to date kunoichi.' He thought to himself. Ino retaliated with her own shuriken and threw kunai. Sakura avoided the shuriken, but the force of the kunai stuck her to the wall, giving Ino all the time that she needed to use her Shintenshin no Jutsu, taking possession of Sakura's body and raised Sakura's free arm. “I…”
 
“Sakura! Fight her!” Naruto shouted. “Don't allow her to make you give up!” Naruto's shouting awoke Inner Sakura, and she started to fight Ino's dominance. “Come on, Sakura-chan, you can do it!”
 
Inner Sakura awoke with a jolt when Naruto shouted at her. `What is happening?' She wondered before she became aware that there was another person in her mind. `What to hell do you think that you're doing?' She screamed at Ino. `Get out, get out, GET OUT!' Forcefully ejecting Ino from her body.
 
Ino panted as she was forced back into her own body. `What in the names of the Gods happened?' She wondered as she saw Sakura remove the kunai that pinned her to the wall. `Does she have split personalities?' Sakura ran at her, and the two fought using Taijutsu, both breaking through the other's defence. Their fists connected with each other's jaw, simultaneously knocking each other out. Hayate stared at the two, unmoving bodies and motioned for the medics to come in with stretchers to carry them off.
 
“With both fighters unconscious at the end of the match, this is considered a draw, meaning that neither kunoichi can progress to the next finals.” Hayate explained as he waited for the next pair of names to be put on the board. “Match five will be between Temari and Tenten.” The two kunoichi walked to the arena floor and faced each other. “Start when you are ready.”
 
Tenten immediately went for her weapons, throwing shuriken and kunai at the Sand kunoichi. Temari just opened the large fan that she carried with her and the wind buffeted the weapons away. “On this fan there are three stars.” Temari said. “When you see all three stars, the match will be over.” Tenten threw the rest of the weapons that she had on her, but once more the attack was ineffectual, swept away by a stronger wind than before as the next star was revealed. “Two open, one more to go.” Temari said as she saw Tenten take out two scrolls and bit both thumbs, and ran them over the writing on the scrolls and closed them once more. She then leaped into the air with a scroll in each hand, and as she spun in mid-air, she dropped one end of the scrolls and m ore weapons were thrown out at Temari, who used the fan once more. That time the wind was strong enough to throw Tenten against the wall, knocking her unconscious.
 
Hayate stepped forward, supporting a new, wind-swept, look. “Winner of the fifth match is Temari.” He announced as the Konoha kunoichi was carried off to the infirmary for treatment. He could see that the participants were getting restless for their fights. A moment later and the next participants' names appeared on the board. “Match six is Nara Shikamaru versus Kin Tsuchi.” The two Genin made their way to the arena floor. “Begin.”
 
“I'm facing a girl, how bothersome.” Shikamaru said as he stretched out his shadow, making Kin leap away from it.
 
“I have heard about the Nara Clan's ability to manipulate shadows.” She said as she threw two senbon at Shikamaru, who avoided them. Both tinkled when they hit the wall and Shikamaru saw that there were bells attached to them.
 
“Let me guess, next time you are going to throw two senbon next time. One will have a bell attached and the other won't. You hope that I will be distracted by the one with the bell and avoid it but miss the second senbon.” Then he heard the sound of a bell from behind him, he looked seeing that the bells had wire attached, and he looked back at Kin, who had thrown the next senbon. Shikamaru knew that he couldn't totally avoid the senbon, however he could limit the damage that he took. It ended up grazing past his arm. `I never took that into account.' He thought as he felt some blood trickle down his arm.
 
“You won't be able to avoid my next attack.” Kin said as she tugged on the wires, making the bells ring clearly. Upon hearing the chiming, Shikamaru suddenly felt disorientated. “You see my attacks are made of sound, first you will feel disorientated, soon you will be paralysed and then you will begin to hallucinate.” As though her words activated each problem, he became unable to move, and saw multiples of the Sound kunoichi. “Maybe I should put you out of your misery.” She said, but she found out that she couldn't move. “I can't move!” She exclaimed.
 
“Finally, my Kagemane no Jutsu worked.” Shikamaru said as he got to his feet. “It took longer than I expected it to.”
 
“How? Your shadow is nowhere close to mine!” She exclaimed, and then she saw where Shikamaru's shadow fell. “Anyway you can't defeat me now, I will only copy what you do.” She saw his hand move to the shuriken pouch on his right leg, and her body followed his actions, both removing a shuriken. “You'll kill us both!” She exclaimed as both threw the shurikens at the same time, the weapons twisted around the other. When the shuriken got close enough, Shikamaru bent backwards, Kin doing the same. `I knew that he was faking.' She thought, smirking, however a moment later and the back of her head connected with the wall, hard enough to knock her out.
 
“The winner of the sixth match, Nara Shikamaru.” Hayate said as Shikamaru returned to his team-mates. “Well done.” Hayate said as he waited for the next two combatants to be named. When the names settled on the screen. It turned out to be another pair of Konoha's Genin number. “The seventh match is between Uzumaki Naruto and Inuzuka Kiba.” Teams Iruka and Kakashi cheered as Naruto made his way to the arena floor. Once both combatants were on the floor, they were told to begin.
 
Naruto knew that Kiba and Akamaru fought as a team, so instead of one, he had to face against two in his fight. `Maybe I should try some of the moves that Yusuke-kun taught me.' Naruto thought. `He spent so long teaching me his Taijutsu attacks that it would be a shame not to use them.' Naruto ran at Kiba, when he felt the Kyubi's consciousness waken and touch his mind. `What is the matter, Seiryoku?” Naruto asked the fox as he blocked Kiba's attack.
 
`Let me give you more chakra.' The Kyubi said. `I don't like dogs, and that mutt and his owner is annoying me.' Naruto could feel the chakra boost immediately, and remembered what Kurama had told him about changing his physical attributes to those of the Kyubi's. `I think that you will find my sense of smell to your advantage.' Naruto could feel the change-taking place… it felt… odd. However when it was complete, the scents of the arena flooded his nose, and he realised that by concentrating on Kiba and Akamaru's scents, he could block out the others.
 
“Akamaru, get ready.” Kiba said as he threw a smoke bomb, blacking the air and then the pair attacked, however Naruto was prepared for it and he managed to avoid every attack, however he was beginning to regret eating most of the fish earlier that day, and when he broke free of the smoke, he doubled over as he felt his stomach groan. He never noticed Kiba and Akamaru sneaking up on him, however just as the pair was going in for the kill, Naruto let out a large fart. It took a moment for Kiba and Akamaru to react, but they seemed to go stiff and dropped to the floor. Hayate had to check them to check if they were still alive.
 
“The winner of the seventh match is Uzumaki Naruto.” Hayate said, feeling extremely ill. He was surprised that Naruto hadn't run to the nearest bathroom.
 
Naruto returned to the group, watching them cower from him was fun for a while. “I don't think I'll ever eat fish again.” Naruto said as he let out a series of small squeaky farts. Sasuke huddled behind Kakashi and Iruka, sacrificing their `parents' noses before his. “I think I'm going to the toilet.” He said running off to find the nearest one to the group.
 
By the time Naruto finished in the toilet and made his way back, he could hear shouts for Gaara and Lee. `So it's the leader of the Sand Genin group and Fuzzy Eyebrows.' He returned to the group “What have I missed?” He asked, Sasuke finally allowing him close to him. Naruto made the most of the situation by nuzzling the neck of his Uchiha, making Sasuke blush.
 
“Well you missed a whole battle.” Hiei said sounding rather bored. “This battle is getting repetitive too. Lee can't hurt Gaara because of the sand. Unless the Taijutsu-using moron has something up his sleeve, I think that the sand-using moron will win.” As though Lee heard Hiei's insults, he leaped away from the sand hand trying to squash him. He ended up on top of the statue's fingers. The group watched as Lee reached down and worked something off of his legs, it turned out to be weights. Heavy weights as they soon discovered when he dropped them to the floor, leaving two three-foot indents.
 
“That's better.” Lee said, stretching. “I can move easier now.” A moment later and Lee appeared behind Gaara and blows were landed left, right and centre, eventually wounding the Sand ninja with the attacks. The rapid succession of successful hits surprised everyone with the exception of Maito Gai, his team's Jounin leader. However with all his speed and strength, he couldn't cause any real damage. He was only damaging the sand armour that Gaara had wrapped around himself. He knew that he had to finish the battle as soon as he could. `The Lotus is the only hope.' Lee thought as he unwrapped the bandages from around his arms.
 
“Will you hurry up?” Gaara said before Lee attacked, kicking the Sand ninja into the air, each kick pushing him higher and higher. Then he felt the Leaf ninja's kicks falter. A moment later and Lee's bandages wrapped around Gaara's form, before Lee grasped the bound Sand ninja and drove him head first into the arena floor. However, when he pulled back, the Gaara that he had drove into the ground turned out to be made of sand as the real Gaara appeared behind him. He then proceeded to attack Lee with sand, as the Leaf Genin forced himself into action against the pain caused by the opening of the first gate.
 
`It looks like the Omote Renge (Front Lotus) wasn't enough.' Lee thought as he started forcing open more gates. `It leaves me no choice but to use… it.' One by one Lee opened the other four gates that he could. `Watch me Neji, the next time that I use this move will be on you.' Lee thought as he attacked Gaara, hitting him around the arena like a squash ball. Eventually he wrapped one of the bandages around Gaara's waist and yanked him back up as his right arm and leg connected forcefully with Gaara's torso, throwing him against the floor, the gourd that Gaara wore on his back turning to sand to protect it's `master'.
 
After the impact, Lee tried to stand, but his right arm and leg refused to obey his commands. He knew that opening the five gates had cost him a lot, ripping his muscles. He just hoped that the Ura Renge (Reverse Lotus) cost Gaara his life. However, that wasn't the case. As the sand slowly settled down, everyone could see that Gaara was still alive. Gaara raised his hand, sending the sand after Lee, and then the sand wrapped around Lee's left arm and leg, forming the `Sakaku Kyu' (the Desert Coffin). Gaara then forcefully closed his hand, saying “Sabaku Soso.” The sand crushing the trapped limbs, bringing Lee to the ground. However, before the sand could smother the, now unconscious, Genin, Gai stepped in, sweeping the sand aside. His interferance costing Lee the match. “Why are you helping him?” Gaara asked. “He failed you and yet you protect him.”
 
“It is because he is my loveable, precious protégé.” Gai explained. “He may not be able to use Ninjutsu or Genjutsu, but you'll never find another master of Taijutsu like him.” Gai said as the medics ran in, performing scans before pulling Gai to one side explaining that because of the crushing caused by the Subaku Soso, it would be almost impossible for Lee to continue to be a ninja. Kakashi, seeing how upset Gai was, disappeared and appeared beside Gai. “He was so young and was in the Springtime of his Youth!” Gai sobbed, wrapping his arms around Kakashi.
 
Iruka's eye began to twitch at the sight. Only he was allowed to use Kakashi like that, Gai was overstepping the mark on his boyfriend, injured student or not. The two teams edged away from Iruka, afraid of what Iruka would do. From where Kakashi was standing, he could feel Iruka's ire and encouraged Gai to go back to Neji, while Kakashi returned to Iruka's side. Then, without warning, Iruka dragged Kakashi's head down, pulled the mask down and firmly planted a kiss on the surprised Jounin's lips. “Don't you dare forget who you belong to.” Iruka said once he released Kakashi, and turned his attention back to Hayate, who was announcing the final match.
 
“The final match of the preliminary round is between Urameshi Yusuke and Dosu Kinuta. Will those named, please make their way to the arena floor.” Both Yusuke and Dosu did so. They took the time to look the other over. “Begin.”
 
`Man, I wish that Hiei was fighting him.' Yusuke thought as he started building up his spirit energy. `His right arm is definitely suspicious. At least I wasn't drawn against any of the girls. That really would have been embarassing. This one is big and ugly, just how I like them.' Dosu waited patiently, sure that no matter what Yusuke tried to do, that he could still win. `He can't be as difficult as Sensui was, that's for sure.' The energy finished transfering into his hand. `However I'm not taking any chances/' All the Jounin in the arena watched closely as Yusuke's right hand began to emit a blue light. “Shotgun!” Yusuke shouted as thousands of small `bullets' filled the space between him and Dosu, ending the battle quickly.
 
“The winner of the tenth, and final, match is Urameshi Yusuke.” Hayate said. “Will the winners please come to the arena floor where the conditions for the final part of the examination will take place.” Yusuke, Hiei, Sasuke, Naruto, Gaara, Temari, Shino, Shikamaru and Neji, along with their Jounin instructors, did as Hayate asked. The Hokage also joined them.
 
“Well done, all those who won.” As you all know, the third exams are going to be held in front of the rulers of the lands. This will happen in one month's time. This will allow you time to rest and to learn new skills. You should use the information that you gathered to help you work out strategies to use in the third exams.” The Hokage passed a box to Anko. “This box contains tickets with numbers on them. I want each of you to take a ticket.” The box was passed to each candidate who removed a ticket. “Since you all have a ticket, I want you to call out your numbers.” Once they all called out their numbers, the Hokage looked at Ibiki. “Can you give us the starting line up?”
 
“Of course, Hokage-sama.” Ibiki said as he stepped forward. “Match one is Uzumaki Naruto versus Hyuuga Neji, match two is Uchiha Sasuke versus Gaara, match three is Uchiha Hiei versus Aburame Shino, and match four shall be between Urameshi Yusuke and the winner of the only preliminary match, between Nara Shikamaru and Temari.” Suddenly Shino raised his hand, and asked if he could be withdrawn from the exams, and the Hokage nodded, allowing him to leave. “That changes the third match to Uchiha Hiei versus Urameshi Yusuke and the fourth match being Nara Shikamaru versus Temari. Any other questions?” Shikamaru raised his hand, and the Hokage motioned for him to ask the question.
 
“You said that this was a tournament, so there is one winner, right? Then does that mean that only one person will get to become a Chuunin?” Shikamaru asked.
 
“No, that is not the case.” The Hokage replied. “For the finals you will be observed by many judges, not only me, but the Kazekage and the rulers and Shinobi leaders of other countries that will be requesting missions as well. Based upon your performance in the Tournament, those judges will assign you an absolute value and all those who are deemed to have sufficient ability to be a Chuunin, even those who lost in the first round, will be promoted.” The Hokage looked over the group. “All of you could become Chuunin, however none of you could too. One month tomorrow, at 9.00 am will be the start of the third exam. Return here for the matches to begin.” The Genins split up and left with their Jounin instructors.
 
 
“So what are you going to teach me, Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto asked as he bounced beside Kakashi. Kakashi grabbed Naruto and turned him towards Iruka.
 
“Ask your mother.” Kakashi said. He and Iruka had come to an agreement that he would be the group's `father' purely because Iruka looked the more feminine of the two of them. “Iruka is taking you and Yusuke while Sasuke and Hiei are coming with me.” He could just hear the outburst beginning to brew up. “Look, Naruto, I have my reasons why I asked Iruka if he could take you, and that lies with the fact that the moves that I will be having Sasuke and Hiei trying to learn will be impossible for you to use in battle. Iruka can teach you more useful skills than I could.” Naruto looked to Iruka, who looked shocked at the compliment that Kakashi gave him.
 
“Kakashi, please make sure that you don't exhaust that pair.” He said as Kakashi pulled him into his arms. “I want the three of you back in one piece.” Kakashi grinned as he pulled Iruka into his arms. “We will be back two days before the finals are due to begin. Please be back on time, Kakashi.” He pulled Kakashi's head down to whisper in his ear. “The bed will be very empty, and I'd be cold without you warming me.” He licked the other Jounin's ear. “I know that you won't keep me waiting, will you?” Kakashi shook his head. “Good.” He looked at the Genin. “Go home and get a good rest, we leave at first light.” He then turned his attention to Sakura and Kurama. “I suggest that you pair get a job for the month, it will give you good experience outside of being ninjas.” The pair nodded and the six headed home.
 
“So, my darling Iruka, what shall we do?” Kakashi asked as they walked to Iruka's apartment. “We have some time to ourselves, and I know exactly how we could spend it.” If Iruka missed the suggestive tone in Kakashi's voice, then he couldn't miss the hot lips as they kissed his neck the moment that the door was closed behind them. Iruka shrugged out of his vest, knowing that Kakashi was hinting to the fact that they had yet to make love. The younger Jounin had shied away from the subject every time it was brought up, however now he wanted to try.
 
“I… Kakashi I…” Iruka gasped as he felt Kakashi's hands slip under the uniform top, thumbs rubbing against his nipples as Kakashi's mouth moved along to the other side of his neck. He grabbed hold of the fine silver strands and gently pulled them so he had Kakashi's attention. “Kakashi, I want you now!” Kakashi groaned.
 
“Your mind has the best timing, especially since you have a long walk tomorrow.” He moaned. Then a thought hit the older Jounin. “Then again I can always have a lie in for longer than you… that pair wouldn't suspect anything.” Iruka looked at Kakashi questioningly. “Come along, Iruka, time for a practical lesson in what you were teaching the boys at the hot springs.” Iruka blushed as Kakashi dragged him to the bedroom.
 
 
The next day, a very happy, Iruka met up with Yusuke and Naruto. “Someone got laid last night.” Yusuke whispered to Naruto, who snickered quietly. “I wonder if `father' is still that or if he is now the `mother'.” Iruka chose to ignore the comments from Yusuke and Naruto. Nothing could spoil his mood, then he heard shouting from behind him, and he looked back to see Pakkun running behind him.
 
“I'm sorry, Pakkun, what is the problem?” Iruka asked the small nindog. “Is Kakashi okay?” He lifted the dog up and placed him on his shoulder.
 
“Kakashi-sama has sent me to keep you safe.” The dog said. “He wanted me to remind you that he can't wait until you return so he can take payment in kind.” Iruka blushed, and the two boys laughed, knowing that Kakashi had, probably bottomed for the first time.
 
 
It took them a few hours to get to the hot springs. “Okay, I'm going to teach you some simple water and earth jutsus.” Iruka said before he realised that Yusuke and Naruto's attention was diverted from him, towards a man peeking into the female bathes. He looked vaguely familiar to Iruka, but he stormed over to him. “What do you think that you are doing?” He demanded before the man turned around, and fully faced Iruka, who stood speechless. “Forgive me, I didn't know that it was you.” Iruka said, bowing. “I beg forgiveness from you, Jiraiya-sama.” Naruto and Yusuke stood staring at their Jounin instructor as he spoke with the old man. Suddenly Naruto pointed at the man and shouted `Eros-Sennen!' He and Yusuke had seen the same man loiter around the women's bathes during the holiday. Iruka looked between the boys and Jiraiya. “You know each other?” he asked.
 
“That pair annoyed be a while ago.” Jiraiya said. “They're yours?” He asked.
 
“Not quite, the taller is mine. The shorter is one of Hatake Kakashi's.” Iruka said, then Jiraiya saw Pakkun on Iruka's shoulder, and raised his eyebrow. “Kakashi and I are…” He blushed.
 
“Ahh, that explains everything then.” Jiraiya said, “It has been a while since Hatake Kakashi and I have crossed paths, hasn't it, Pakkun?” Pakkun gave a very human-like nod. “I am happy that he has finally chosen somebody. You wouldn't happen to be the guy he was always talking about?” Iruka's blush deepened. “So why are you here?”
 
“The Chuunin exams are next month.” Iruka said. “Kakashi-kun has taken the two Uchihas and is training them. I have this pair and hope to train them as good as I can.”
 
“Then maybe I could offer you some assistance.” Jiraiya said looking the pair over. “After all I did train the Fourth Hokage, who trained Hatake Kakashi himself.”
 
 
After the month's training, the three returned to Konoha, and were greeted by their respective partners at the gate. As Sasuke and Naruto and Hiei and Yusuke went their separate ways, Iruka dragged Kakashi home, and gave him a small package. “You brought me a present?” Kakashi asked as he opened it. Inside the package paper was an `Icha Icha' book that he had never seen before, and he looked questioningly at the Jounin, before he opened the front cover, and he saw why he had never seen it before.
 
Kakashi
 
It surprised me that you have a boyfriend, and still read my books .So for my number one fan is the first copy of my new book. Iruka-kun has told me all about you, and I am glad that you have found happiness at last.
 
Jiraiya
 
Kakashi just stared at the note and looked to Iruka, who was blushing. “Sorry, Kakashi-kun, I cheated.” He said, blushing as Kakashi exchanged `Icha Icha Paradise' for `Icha Icha Heaven'. “So I'm all yours.” Kakashi lowered his mask revealing a predatory grin.
 
 
Naruto walked into the hospital, deciding to visit Lee and signed in. Walking through the corridors and he heard a wail and he ran to Lee's room to see Sakura pointing at Lee and Gaara.
 
A FEW MOMENTS EARLIER
 
Gaara walked through the hospital. He knew that this would be his last opportunity to see the Genin that had almost defeated him. The boy had stirred up some unknown feelings in the emotionless Sand Genin and he wanted to know what they were. When he thought on what he had done, he felt strange… Temari had said that it was sadness. He had a strange longing to see the boy; he wanted to… touch him? He wanted to kill him? Yes, that sounded better.
 
He found his way to Rock Lee's room and silently entered. The boy was being heavily sedated, he knew, after he had been found training. That would make the death easier to deal. He walked over to the bed as some sand left the gourd, and coiled on the covers, creeping towards Lee's neck. Gaara leaned over the body, looking at the face that had been plaguing his thoughts since the preliminary battles. Just as the sand was almost at Lee's neck, the Konoha Genin suddenly sat up, his lips touching Gaara's in an innocent kiss.
 
The scream startled the Sand Genin, who leaped back as though he had been bitten, and he saw two Konoha Genin, one was the pink-haired Kunoichi who drew in her match, and the other was the farting lunatic. He looked between the three Konoha Genin and thought that he had fallen into a trap, the sand in the gourd becoming alive with the worried thoughts of the Sand Genin. Then Gaara disappeared in a skitter of sand.
 
The whole of that day, both Gaara and Lee were more pensive than normal as they tried to work out their feelings for the other Genin, whose lips they happened to touch.
 
 
The following day and the Chuunin examinations started, and for the first time in a long while, Kakashi was actually early for something. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Iruka had dragged him, even though he could have done with some more time in bed too. He knew that Kakashi was excited to see how well their training had done for their boys. All four would surely have fun, First up would be Naruto, and then Sasuke, however the match that Iruka wanted to see was the one involving his two Genins, in match three. Kakashi picked out good seats for himself and the others, knowing that Kurama and Sakura would soon be arriving. He smirked seeing Iruka move on the chair. He looked up at the stand, which supported the Hokage and the Kazekage. He knew that Genma had replaced Hayate, that loudmouth had been shouting it to the rafters the previous night when Kakashi had left Iruka's for… supplies.
 
Kurama and Sakura arrived just in time for the start of the matches. “Ladies and gentlemen, Hokage, Kazakage, It gives me great pleasure to welcome you all to the Chuunin examination here in Konoha. Through rigorous testing many candidates have been whittled down to just eight; Uzumaki Naruto, Hyuuga Neji, Uchiha Sasuke, Gaara, Uchiha Hiei, Urameshi Yusuke, Temari and Nara Shikamaru.” Genma's eyes looked around the packed arena. “Due to some minor complications, the fights have been rescheduled, Uchiha Sasuke versus Gaara shall be the last fight on the roster, where Nara Shikamaru versus Temari has been moved to the second fight this morning. So without further ado, please welcome the first pair of combatants. Uzumaki Naruto versus Hyuuga Neji.” Neji and Naruto headed out into the arena. “Fight!”
 
“You cannot win.” Neji said as he stared at Naruto. “Why even try? Someone like you will never become Hokage because it is not in your destiny.” Suddenly Naruto summoned up his Shadow Clones. “It will not work. Byakugan!” Using his Kekkai Genkai, Neji looked over the clones, but saw that they all had chakra circulatory systems in their bodies. `How could this be?' Neji asked himself as the clones threw themselves at Neji. `Only one of these is real all I have to do is find that one and the match will be over.' Neji told himself as he attacked each of the clones, all of those he touched disappearing, and then he saw one standing back. `So that is the real you.' He thought heading straight towards that one, however when he attacked it, it too disappeared.
 
“So you do have a weakness.” Naruto said from behind Neji. “You can't see through Shadow Clones. That is good to know.” It was Naruto's turn to land a few attacks on Neji, but the Hyuuga brushed them aside, instead he hit one of the chakra nodes inside Naruto's body. It caused pain and frustration, when Naruto couldn't use his right arm to call for chakra. From there, Neji proceeded to block all the chakra nodes in Naruto's body.
 
“Give up, you have no chance of beating me.” Neji said as he looked at Naruto. “I don't want to kill you, but I shall if I have to.”
 
“Why did you try to kill Hinata?” Naruto asked, and Neji removed his hatai-ate. Naruto could see curse mark on his forehead. “What is that?”
 
“This is the curse of what happens when you are born into the Branch house of the Hyuuga Clan. It didn't matter that my father and uncle were twins, both born at the same time; Hinata-sama's father was born first so my father and, therefore, I was damned to be a part of the Branch house.” Naruto gasped. “That is my destiny, never to reach higher than the head of the Branch House, when I have more ability than the heir of the Head House. That is how I know that you will never reach the position of being Hokage. You were not born into it.”
 
Naruto wanted to scream at the other boy before him that he, too, was born into it, that his father was the Fourth Hokage, and that he intended on following his father into being the Hokage one day. Instead he glared at Neji. “Then why do you fight?” Naruto asked. “If your destiny is set out in front of you, why fight it at all.” Neji winced. “When I become Hokage, I shall force the Hyuuga Clan to change!”
 
“What a great statement from one that cannot defend himself from me.” Neji said, when he suddenly felt a large amount of chakra build up inside Naruto and he stared as red chakra surrounded Naruto. `What is this chakra, it feels menacing.' Neji thought.
 
`Tactful as always.' The Kyubi said laughing. `Looks like you'll need a little help with him, Naruto, I'll heal the nodes, just attack him, and win.' Naruto couldn't disagree with the Kyubi on that count. `Go, get him, Naruto.'
 
Naruto attacked Neji, using the Kyubi's chakra instead of his own, and it surprised Neji when he scanned Naruto's body, revealing that the red chakra was flowing through the same pathway as the blue had been. “What are you?” He asked, blocking Naruto's attack. Naruto gave a feral grin.
 
“I'm just different to Hinata.” Naruto said as he attacked once more, before Neji hit him hard enough to leave an indent in the ground. Neji leaned over Naruto's body, which seemed to be knocked out, however Naruto appeared behind Neji and attacked him. “There is proof that destiny can be changed. I have never been good at Bunshin no Jutsu. In fact I failed the Graduation Exam because I couldn't do it properly, you can ask Iruka-sensei about that. Through hard work I learned to do it, if I was destined in one path or another, no matter how much hard work I put into it, I would never have been able to change things. I changed, and so can you.” With that Naruto punched Neji against the wall, knocking him out.
 
“The winner of the first match is Uzumaki Naruto.” Genma said as Neji was helped out of the arena. “The second match is between Nara Shikamaru and Temari.” The two entered the arena.
 
“Great, I have another woman to fight. How bothersome.” Shikamaru said as Genma told them to begin their match. His shadow reached out, but Temari leaped back, marking the place where his shadow stopped with a sweep of her fan.
 
`As long as I stay behind that line, I'll be safe.' She thought, but suddenly the shadow surged over the line in a very narrow, thin line, making her leap back in a set pattern. Then it wavered and shrank back, Temari planting the fan in the ground. `That was unexpected.' She thought. `I should finish this soon, or else I could regret.' However when she tried to move she couldn't. `I'm behind the line, how could he…' As if reading her mind, Shikamaru looked behind him, which Temari was forced to do as Shikamaru did, and saw a hole behind her, the same hole that Naruto had made moments before the fight began. From the hole, a shadow had sprouted.
 
Shikamaru made her walk around her fan and towards him, however he raised his hand. “I quit.” There was a murmur around the arena, as people started asking themselves why he had done so. “I have used up too much chakra fighting you, that I shall not be able to go all the way to the end, even if I wanted to. You have used up almost no chakra at all, and therefore would do much better than I would.” With that Shikamaru disengaged his Kagemane no Jutsu and left the stunned arena.
 
“Winner of the second match, Temari.” Genma said. “Now for the third match, we have Uchiha Hiei versus Urameshi Yusuke.” There was a lot of murmuring in the crowd. All along the lines of `Wasn't Uchiha Sasuke the last of his clan?' Yusuke and Hiei made their way to the arena floor, from where they had been waiting. Everyone could see that there was some kind of connection between the pair. “Begin.”
 
“Why don't we have a little fun, and a wager?” Yusuke asked as he threw a punch at Hiei, who blocked it. “The loser is uke for a month.” He could see Hiei's sadistic grin take its place on his face.
 
“You're on!” Hiei said as they both leaped back. Both started making seals. Hiei blowing a fireball using Katon: Gokakyu no Jutsu. While Yusuke was hiding in the ground, and using Doton: ShinjÅ« Zanshu no Jutsu, he pulled Hiei underground while he got out. Hiei glared at him, making Yusuke laugh.
 
“You have been taking death-glare lessons from Sasuke, I see.” Yusuke said as Hiei wriggled in the ground, slowly loosening the earth around him. “It is a shame that I cannot see the proud apparition that you are under all that earth.” He leaned down and whispered. “I can smell it, Hiei, the smell of your excitement. You're always like that during a fight, especially if it is between us.” He leaped back a moment before Hiei threw himself out of the ground. “Maybe we should stick to what we know best, hmm?” Both retreated to opposite edges, and ran at eachother, their energy flaring around them like a protective blanket. Their movements were faster than many people could follow, seeing blurs when the pair attacked.
 
Finally the pair broke apart, or were forced to since the energies crackled and fizzled enough to mane anybody think that they were using electricity. Yusuke realised that that particular attack was a repeat of what had happened well over a year ago, the seal had even been ripped in the same place over the dragon, and again Hiei was tending to it the best way he knew how, by licking away the blood that leaked from the flesh wound. “You've improved.” Hiei said as he placed the ward back over the dragon. He was sure that the dragon didn't need the warding, however it was best to be safe. He didn't want to kill his lover after all.
 
“Unfortunately you have too.” Yusuke teased as he wiped his forehead. “I know how Kankuro felt when he came into contact from your heat technique. I never knew that you would resort to that.” Hiei grinned as he approached the half-Toushin.
 
“Too much heat is one way to make your opponents surrender.” Hiei said, although now that Yusuke could get a better look of Hiei, he could see small burns on him and raised his eyebrow. “These are your doing. Looks like you are definitely your father's son.” Hiei said. He coughed up some blood, and Yusuke looked worriedly at him. “I'll be out for a few moments, take good care of me as my body sorts out everything you did.” With that the fire apparition promptly fainted.
 
Everyone stared at the fainted boy, and Genma was no less surprised than the others. Kakashi looked at Yusuke as he carried Hiei out of the arena. He had seen flashes on uncontrolled lightning in the fray between Iruka's two Genin. Something that he was sure that Iruka would ask him about later. He stood up, and saw Iruka's questioning gaze. “I'm going to help them.” He said as he whispered into Iruka's ear. “Yusuke anyway. That boy has a lot of potential to become a lightning master.” Iruka had never seen Kakashi so excited, in his own way. “If he can master the control, he could be a very powerful Shinobi. We have never really discovered what he is good at, have we, maybe this is it, why he and Hiei seem almost in harmony. One uses the fire of the earth, and the other uses the fire of the sky.”
 
While Kakashi went to help Yusuke with Hiei, Sasuke and Gaara were called to the arena. From where he was sitting, the Kazakage had shown some interest in the match that had happened. “Those boys are talented, Hokage.” He said as his yellow slit-like eyes followed the boys. “You must be proud.”
 
“I am. They are quick learners, Kazekage.” The Hokage said as he saw Kakashi join them. “They have two good Jounin that they can look to; Umino Iruka and Hatake Kakashi treat them, all their Genin like their children.” The Kazekage then turned his attention to the Jounin in the stands, with the red-haired boy and pink haired girl, and smiled under the veil. “Of course you must be proud of your own Genin pair that made it to the finals. Gaara and Temari are very talented Shinobi too.”
 
Sasuke and Gaara faced off against each other. Sasuke's calm look met the same from the Sand Genin. Neither had yet to make a move, when suddenly Sasuke disappeared. Yusuke had followed his movements automatically; after all if you could keep up with Hiei, Sasuke's movements were easier to follow. The movements reminded Yusuke of a mixture of Rock Lee and Hiei, and he looked questioningly at Kakashi. “The only way to take that Genin out is to outpace his sand, Sasuke saw that and the three of us trained on that for him.” Kakashi said. “That isn't his fastest, Hiei saw to that. Sasuke can go toe to toe with both of you easily.” That notion seemed to shock Yusuke more. “Plus, I think that I understand why Hiei allowed you to knock him out so easily. Sasuke knows what he has learned in intimate detail. Who ever wins this match will be the one you face. Hiei doesn't want to lose to Sasuke, and so he lost to you instead.”
 
Gaara had been shocked beyond belief that two Leaf Genins had managed to use similar tricks on him, and instead of swirling around Gaara, the sand started building up a wall to keep Sasuke's attacks at bay. He could feel his other self, it was dragging at his subconscious, and he knew that as long as he was in the shell, that he would be safe. Sasuke could see the new defence moving into place and knew that he would have to react quickly. Leaping back, he landed half way up the wall and made some hand seals before he ran down the wall, holding a ball of lightning in his hand. It sounded like the cry of many birds. Sasuke headed straight for Gaara, and shouted `Chidori!' when it impacted against Gaara's defences, going through it. Inside Gaara cried in pain and the sand defence fell, revealing Sasuke's hand in contact with Gaara's left shoulder.
 
Then all hell went loose as people looked up to where the shouting came from. The Kazekage had removed his robes, revealing all to the onlookers. Kakashi, Iruka and all the other Jounin and Chuunin that had turned out all cried one name: Orochimaru!
 
Author's Note: Wow, my longest ever chapter, I'm proud of me and my stubbornness to have the Chuunin exams over two chapters.
 
Please review!