Naruto Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Strange New World ❯ Search for the Tailed Beasts Part 2 ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Search for the Tailed Beasts Part 2

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

FIVE MONTHS AFTER PART 1


“We have the remaining bijuu.” Orochimaru said, looking at the two children that Ino and Sakura were holding. Kurama, Hiei, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Sasuke and Naruto all looked at Orochimaru sharply. They knew that he was lying, and although he had told them to make out that it was true, they couldn’t help their reactions. “We have more than two days to go before we are safe in Konoha. If we finish early tonight and get a good rest we can keep going for two days.” The rest looked at him. “The reason why I left the search for the Land of Rice Fields to last was because of Otogakure. The Village that I once led will be deserted apart from wild animals that are more than likely to have moved in.”

Orochimaru led them to the deserted Village. There was no sign that it had been used in a long time. “Take care in here, and look out for each other and for traps. I did teach those that lived here, remember.” Orochimaru looked at the group. “Neji, you’re good at spotting traps. That is one of the reasons why the Byakugan is highly regarded. Could you go in first and check out the area? Shuichi will take up the reverse and place his own trap. We need to know if we are being followed or not and also if they are aware of our specific abilities.” One after the other the group entered the silent corridors that made up Otogakure, taking care when needed. As Kurama entered the corridor, he quickened the growth of the grass that was already starting to take root in the corridor, leaving some of his youki in the grass as he continued He smiled as he felt Orochimaru’s hand catch his and gently squeezed it.

After a bit they reached a large area, suitable to keep them all out of direct view of those that could follow. “Your priority is to keep the bijuu out of the grips of Akatsuki.” Orochimaru said as he looked at Ino and Sakura. “We know that Akatsuki are after those that are not currently in their grasp, i.e. all of those that we have here, myself included. If you can’t protect them and yourself, then run. Now get some rest, we have two long days ahead of us.”


The group settled down into their usual routine of three watching at one time, one from each group. However Kurama was half asleep when his eyes snapped open. “We have been followed into here.” He hissed at Orochimaru, raising his head off of his ‘pillow’, which was actually one of Orochimaru’s thighs. Orochimaru motioned to Hiei and Shikamaru, who were also sitting on guard. They approached Orochimaru and Kurama.

“Shuichi said that we have been followed in here.” Orochimaru said. “Warn the others…” Then he saw Kurama’s eyes widen. “What’s the matter?”

“Whoever entered has stopped.” Kurama said. “I suspect that he knows that I am here, otherwise why would he have stopped?” His eyes closed. “As far as I am aware, there is only one person that isn’t among us that knows the extent of my abilities, and that is Kabuto. I suspect that Uchiha Fukuro knows that I have a certain ability with plants, but I don’t know for sure.” Orochimaru nodded.

“Take precautions.” Orochimaru said. “Get away at the first opportunity. If the worst happens, listen to Hiei and Sasuke.” Orochimaru said directly to Shikamaru. “They know more about what to do than you, I’m afraid, Shikamaru.” The two Chuunin nodded as they returned to their teams, rousing them from their slumber.

It didn’t take long before the first member of Akatsuki entered, followed by another and another until seven stood in there. Kurama let out an involuntary whimper; Fukuro’s scent was amongst those that were there. “Get them.” Fukuro’s cold voice said. “Kill the others if you want. They are not required for the ceremony.”


Soon a fight for the lives of the Konoha ninja started. It didn’t last long. No Genin or Chuunin could last very long against an S-class missing-nin, and against seven was overkill. Eventually it was Orochimaru and Kurama against an Akatsuki member that Orochimaru didn’t recognise, but Kurama had an idea. Youko snarled a name, which Kurama’s eyes narrowed with the mention of. “Why do you hide yourself, Kabuto, you traitor?” Kurama snarled. Kabuto chuckled as he revealed himself.

"I am no traitor, ask Orochimaru if you don't believe me." Kabuto said, his eyes moving to the Snake Sannin. "He, and I use the term loosely, released me from Sasori-sama's mind control. The thing is, that was meant to fool you into believing that I wasn't an active Akatsuki member. Have you never wondered where your ring disappeared to?" He showed his left hand, and on it's littlest finger lay an Akatsuki ring. Orochimaru's eyes narrowed. He had wondered where the ring had went, but hadn't mentioned it to anyone. Now he knew, and he wanted it back.

Kurama could feel Orochimaru's killing intent in the air and started encouraging plant growth from around him. However he soon found that his ability seemed... off. A moment later and Orochimaru pushed Kurama to the ground, a thorny spike penetrating his body instead of his lover's. Kurama looked up at him from where he lay, his eyes then followed the trajectory of the spike and saw a man... at least he thought it was a man. He was surrounded by, what looked like, a venus flytrap. "That was low, Zetsu." Orochimaru coughed, blood landing on the ground. He then pulled out the spike, dark blood flowing from the wound too. The Hatchibi no Orochi was quickly dealing with the poison that had been on the spike. "Shuichi, run." Kurama speang to his feet and ran a few paces before skidding to a stop. "What are you doing?" Orochimaru shouted as Kurama returned to his side.

"I promised myself that I wouldn't betray anyone like I betrayed Kuronue." The harsher voice of Youko Kurama said. "He told me to leave him behind because he had to retrieve his pendant. He was killed." Youko stood against Orochimaru's back, still keeping Shuichi's form. "I refuse to allow Shuichi to feel the same agony that I had to live through more than a thousand years ago." Youko knew that Orochimaru had a serious injury, and that he had to heal himself. Until then the ancient kitsune would have to battle both Akatsuki members, and it was on an uneven playing field. It made the thought of winning seem so far away, out of the reach. He had to try though, if it meant sacrificing his life he had to try.

Orochimaru could feel the kitsune tense behind him. They both knew that there was very little chance for them to defeat the pair. 'At least the Chuunin and Genin got away.' Orochimaru thought. 'They will be able to get the last bijuu without worrying about Akatsuki tailing them.' He felt a tail wrap itself around his thigh.

"Don't you dare think about sacrificing yourself for me... us again." Youko said. "Shuichi hates that, especially as every time you do, you end up even more injured than the previous time." He looked at Kabuto, glaring at him. "Orochimaru, is there any chance that you could deal with 'flowerhead' there?" He asked, however he felt Orochimaru shake his head. "I thought not. If I go too far away from you, they'll use you against me. Although I have no love for you, and think that you are a waste of space, Shuichi cares deeply for you." Orochimaru heard the slight chuckle in the other's voice. "I cannot use my speciality, although I am more powerful than Shuichi is, another plant-user complicates things. I cannot use plants that he is familiar with, which leaves the much more deadly plants that I know well." Youko reached into his hair, and Orochimaru's eyes opened wide as he felt claws running through his tresses, before the hand retreated.

Youko smiled. 'You are lucky to have him, Shuichi.' He said to the human inside him. 'I may not entirely agree with you on him, but he will do anything for you. You deserve to have him and I'll be damned if I'll let another just waltz in there and destroy the little happiness that you have created for yourself.' He knew that if Shuichi was out, there would have been tears streaming down his face... well not streaming, he wasn't Naruto after all, but they would definately be in his eyes. 'He loves you and you love him.' Youko clenched his hand around the seed that he held in his hand. A moment later and a massive plant sprouted out, surrounding his hand with its vines. However, Zetsu took the opportunity to attack, quickly avoiding snapping, acid-filled, jaws to add another injury to Orochimaru, before holding another spike to his throat.

"Give up, or else I'll be forced to kill him." Zetsu said. "I doubt even the Kyuubi's healing abilities could heal damage dealt directly to the brain, and a lesser beast..." He was cut off by a snarl from the kitsune. Youko glared at him, taking his eyes off of Kabuto for a moment, and the next he fely a fiery sensation flood through his body, scorching his nerves. He heard Orochimaru scream something, and then nothing.


Shikamaru grumbled about how bothersome things were, especially since he had an unconscious Sasuke thrown over one shoulder. It was bothersome and uncomfortable to say the least. He had to knock him out, if he didn't then things would have been worse. The small group eventually came to a stop. Shikamaru then turned on Hiei. "What in the names of the Gods did Orochimaru mean back there?" He demanded. "What do you know more about than us?"

"There is another tailed beast for us to find." Hiei said as he turned his attention to the sword in his hand. "Kur... Shuichi can't be counted as one of the tailed beasts. He doesn't belong in this world." He could see the shocked expressions of the others. "Neither are Yusuke, Kuwabara or myself for that matter. We don't understand how we ended up here, or how to get back from where we came. We are making the most of this situation."

A hundred questions flew at them. "Shut up!" Sasuke snarled, just becoming conscious. "Why does it matter where they are from, they are not from here!" Sasuke activated the Mangekyo Sharingan. "I am going to get my boyfriend back." Hiei grabbed Sasuke's arm. "Don't you dare try to stop me!"

"I was going to ask you to stay your hand for a moment." Hiei said. "You cannot go alone. What would Naruto do to you if you ended up dead?" Sasuke growled but stopped. "Yusuke, Kuwabara and Sakura should go with you. Shikamaru can take the rest and search for the bijuu."

"What about you?" Sasuke asked, hoping that Hiei would be joining him.

"I'll return to Konoha as Orochimaru planned us to do. I can tell Tsunade and she can send reinforcements to help the two groups." Hiei said. "We need to get going though." Hiei grabbed Yusuke and kissed him roughly. "I'll find you wherever you are." Hiei growled as his hand slipped along Yusuke's shoulder. "Look after Sasuke." With that the fire apparition started running back towards Konoha, as the others headed off in opposite directions.