Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Forest of Death ❯ Shadows of the Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shadows of the Past
 
This story follows the path of fan-made characters, all other characters are not mine and are copyright of Shonen Jump.
 
The events of this story take place after the two and a half year time jump of the Naruto Manga. More precisely two days before Naruto's return after training with Jirha.
 
Tusanda sat in her office, surrounded by the top ninja of the village. Kakashi Hatake stood to the back of the room, out of the rabble of clan heads and arguments that always followed. He leaned quietly against a wall reading his newest Icha-Icha book waiting for the point of the meeting to start when the door flow open. Everyone turned to see what new excitement had arrived, when they all saw that it was Sakura Harrino, voices were raised at this interruption.
*There is something terrible wrong at the academy! *she almost shrieked out, tears were rolling down her face.
This quickly got everyone's attention. Kakashi moved to get to the visibly shaking girl when Tusanda asked.
*And what is wrong at the academy? *
*I went to meet with Rock Lee for lunch, when I arrived at the front lobby I noticed that no one was there so I moved on to find his class and I...I...I... *she stammered off at the end, once again sobbing and shaking in fear.
*What? What did you see girl? *one impatient clan head yelled.
*Quiet! *Tusanda and Kakashi shouted back almost in unison.
Kakashi moved up to the girl and asked in as gentle tones as he could.
*What did you see Sakura? *
*I...I... found a... student... impaled against a wall. *this last part burst out in a new wave of terrified sods and gasps from the crowd.
Tusanda would not stand by with this information.
*Shikimaru! Form a forward party to get to the school at best time! Hisha Hyuga form a party of your best spotters and watch the school from a distance and pass all information to Shikimaru! Kakashi! *by this time Kakashi had the still crying Sakura against his shoulder for support. *Stay with her and report anything else she can remember. *she said in much softer tones then before. *All right! Get going! *she order with a sweep of her hand.
...
The night was falling as the remaining teams of ninja reached the academy. Shikimaru's team had all ready searched the buildings top to bottom, after several member rotations, they had found the upper class rooms had remained untouched by the killings, they found Rock Lee there with several students from multiple classes. The story was the same for each class; their sensei had heard screams from floors below so they had left their classes in Lee's care while they investigated. None of those teachers had returned from the lower floors. The scene in the building had driven many members of both search and spotter teams to retch or cry.
-Over a hundred students died, with twenty-four dead chunin instructors. Who could have done something this terrible? -Tusanda disgustedly thought.
-A demon in the shadows. -the thought shot into her head. It was not her own thought but a thought placed in her mind by some outside influence.
-What was that? -she thought with a shiver.
-An old nightmare. -the same forced thought replied.
*Who are you! *she shouted out loud. The near by ninja turned to stare at her worriedly.
-A shadow of the past. -passed through her mind as a wisp.
...
That night Tusanda raised a general alarm and announced the deaths incurred at the school and through the proceeding cries of despair and sadness; proposed that for the safety of the people no more classes would be held and that the people of the village should move into the walls of the Hokage keep, if they were willing to. Many people agreed with this plan and moved that very night into the large building's walls. Others though decided that their own homes where safe enough to weather this unknown storm. The Hyuga Clan lead by Hisha Hyuga was one such group. Their compound estate was a walled portion of the town, so they believed it would protect them. This is were Hinata found herself that night. In her room, in the building for the main family, grieving for the lost children and instructors. But most of all she prayed that the blond-haired fox boy would return and save them. She prayed he would set everything right, that he could save the village, but most of all she prayed just to see him.
*I don't get it. Why do we need to suddenly defend the gate? Not like something would attack the Hyuga estate. Be suicide. *a guard on duty complained to his current guard buddy.
*At least nothing can go wrong. *the other man said somberly.
*I think something could go wrong. *an unfamiliar, flat voice said.
As the two men turned the last thing they saw was a blade fly between their eyes. The sword neatly bisected the men, leaving a great amount of blood pooling on the walk in front of the gate.
Hishada was out that night pretending to beat down the evil with her gentle palm technique. As she moved about striking the air she suddenly noticed the dark liquid pooling under the gate as she turned to investigate further the gate began to be pushed open from the outside. She watched in stunned fear as the gate creaked open to reveal one tall dark shape against the moon. The man saw her and stepped into the courtyard and the light. The very sight of him stole her breath, her courage, and her strength.
*Hishada! It is time for bed. *Hisha said as he poked his head out of a nearby door.
As he looked he saw the man stare right at him and let one smile slip past that emotionless face.
*No. *Hisha said in all most a whisper.
-Yes. -the thought rippled through his mind, stunning him, making him act to slowly.
The man simply stepped up and ran his blade through the young girl's chest. One startled squeak was all that escaped her lips as she passed from this world.
*NO!!! *Hisha finally let out in contained anger and sadness.
But out of the sadness came one overriding thought-I most protect Hinata. -he thought as he jumped out the door and down the walk. -The rest of the family will stop him. I'm sure.-
-Hinata eh, she sounds like fun Hisha. Oh yeah, what family? -flashed in his mind as he reached the hallway that lead to Hinata's room.
In one brief glance he saw his yell had brought help, but help that was falling in twos and threes leaving no more then a blood soaked field in the courtyard. He moved as quickly as he could physically manage.
-How could he survive in that forest for so long? It's not natural. -raced through his mind as he speed down another hallway.
-But survive I did. -the thought shot to his mind, the thought came with an image this time. It was where the man was at the second and what he saw. All that was there was death; Hisha's clansmen lay about him in a practical river of blood. The thought chilled him but did not stop him as he moved with greater resolve.
A scream from the night, shouts, and the sounds of a fight woke Hinata from her sleep. She had sworn the sounds were a dream, but as she lay in her bed she heared them moving closer and moving around her. She timidly moved out of her bed and towards the door when it burst open suddenly pushing her back. It was her father in the doorway, he looked out of breath and completely terrified.
*Hinata! You have to run for the Hokage. You must run in order to preserve the clan. *he burst out in ragged breaths.
*Wha... what is... *she began to stammer out.
*NO! No time. You have to run before he gets here. *her father said in a near beg.
-Before who gets here? -she thought to herself.
-Me. -the thought rang through her head.
She froze at this thought, the state of her father had her scared into action, but this thought not her own scared here into a cowering ball.
Her father saw this and turned to see the figure of the man now stained red with the blood of Hyugas coming down the hall.
She could see him from her place on the floor; he gave of the stench of death and moved emotionlessly towards them.
*What? Hisha you're not going to stay and say hello to an old school friend. How rude. *the man said in a flat, mocking way.
*How are you alive? Why are you here? *Hisha asked with a tinge of fear in his voice.
*The Forest of Death isn't all that deadly. And I'm here to see old friends and maybe kill some of them. Everyone else here is just in the way. *he said indicating everything with a sweep of his free hand.
*Tch. Crazy as ever, you and all of that long gone loon clan of yours. *Hisha shouted at the man.
*Oh, now that hurt, right here. *he said emptily, patting his chest.
*Then let me take it out... *Hisha began to yell as he shot forward, but he was cut short by the sudden relocation of the man to beside him.
The ark of the blade seemed to shine as it passed through the father's neck. His head shot back to stop in front of where Hinata still sat. Her voice stuck in her throat, it seemed to chock her as she wished to scream and cry all at once.
*... for you. How original is that. *the man said flatly, as he turned towards Hinata. *Well time to end this clan for good. *
Hinata couldn't move, she seemed rooted to the spot as her sister had been when she had died. Her only thoughts were of Naruto rescuing her and at the same time her whole life before her. The man moved forward and as he reached out to grab her...
*Get away from her you bastard! *a voice from behind him screamed as it launched at the man.
-Naruto!!! -Hinata thought almost drawing in breath.
But even as the figure launched itself forward the man replaced himself behind the person in the space of a heart beat. His blade broke through the new comers back and out his stomach. In the light his black hair could be seen, it was also plain he was not died.
*Ne... Nenji! *Hinata cried out.
*Ru... run Hinata. *he spluttered as he held on to the man's sword coming from his stomach with a death grip. *Go now... please. *he begged.
*Ah... yes. *she said with tears pouring from her pale eyes. She stood and she bolted for the door. The man attempted to reach out and grab her when a wave of chakra ran up his sword and through his entire body, knocking his senses for a loop. She speeded off out of her home, tears of loss running freely down her cheeks.
-Naruto-kun, where are you? -she thought sadly as she moved for the relative safety of the Hokage keep.
*Well I didn't see that coming. *the man said as he threw Nenji from his sword with a flick of his wrist. *She got away. Darn. *he thought as he proceeded to finish of the drained boy. *Oh well. Still more people here in my way to kill. *
-Naruto Uzumaki? He sounds interesting. -the man thought as he ripped a bloody path through the remaining Hyuga Complex.
 
Cont. in Shadows behind the Eyes