Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Pain ❯ Giving Up My Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I had been walking for days without food, shelter, or sometimes even water. I could find water in roadside pools, or sleep under trees. I wondered if I had made the right choice.
Images from the past flooded my mind. My dead uncle, with blood dripping down his face. My little sister and older cousin, crying over his body. The Hokage claiming that they were his murderers, just because they had been there. Hokage sentencing them to death. The whole family being forced to watch. Me losing control of my mind, and running out of the village screaming for revenge.
The day Maneta and Ichi had been falsely declared my uncle's murderers, I had had an unexpected visitor. My family had known the Uchiha clan since before I was born, so I had known Uchiha Itachi since before he went bad. We hadn't spoken since he went bad and conducted a mass killing all by himself, so I was shocked when he knocked on my door. I let him in, but kept my hands ready to form chakra seals if necessary.
"Let me say this quickly." Itachi said. His voice was quiet and completely emotionless. "Akatsuki, our organization of ninja with the power to get what we need, requests as a whole for you to join."
I was completely stunned. Me, a member of Akatsuki? What was it, anyway? "What is Akatsuki? What is it that they 'need'?"
"Akatsuki members usually are unhappy with their village. They leave it and become missing-nin. Then, they join us and help us search for the tailed beasts."
I nodded slowly. I was unhappy with my village. But would I really leave it to search for jinchuuriki?
"I must leave now." Itachi said. "But remember, Sashi, if you need a place after tomorrow, Akatsuki is there." Then, he left.
How could he have known that Maneta and Ichi's executions were tomorrow? Then it hit me. He had called me Sashi, his nickname for me when we were younger. Not my full name, Sashikani. Sashi. Maybe Itachi wasn't all bad.
Now here I was, ready and willing to join Akatsuki. I knew the hideout was close to here, and I knew it would be cleverly disguised. But I was skilled in genjutsu so it would not be as hard for me to find.
A half an hour later I was there. I knocked on the door. Itachi opened it. "Yes?" he asked.
I ripped my leaf village hitai-ate off my head. "I wish to join Akatsuki."