Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Nephilim ❯ Everything Old is New Again ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
See Chapter 1 for disclaimer. And just for clarity: '...' = thoughts, "..." = speech.

NEPHILIM

Chapter 2: Everything Old is New Again

-----

Despite how calm he looked as he lay sleeping, the mind of Shinji Ikari was still in turmoil. After leaving the topic of Third Impact, he began thinking of what he had to do now that he was back in an earlier time.

'But what am I supposed to do?,' he thought.

Then the voice of Nephilim once again was heard. 'You must make that decision.'

'How the...why can I hear you? I'm asleep right now,' the boy thought.

'I can speak to you this way as well. Not all conversation between us has to be spoken, after all.'

'...I see,' Shinji replied.

Then Nephilim began again, 'As for your earlier question, what happens now will be up to you. But I trust that you know what that will be.'

Shinji slipped into deep thought at the angel's words, 'But...how do I know what the right thing to do will be?'

'That I cannot say. Only what you know is correct is the right thing. I'm sorry if that is too vague,' Nephilim answered.

If he had been awake, Shinji would have shaken his head, 'No, I think I get it.'

'Then I shall be gone. Rest well, young one.'

Both then fell silent as the boy continued to sleep.

-----

When Shinji awoke again, the figure of the enigmatic Rei Ayanami was seated near his bed. At first, his eyes widened. The thoughts and musings he had about this odd girl came back; her origins, her cold demeanor, and what was said during Third Impact while all was one.

"Uh...hello Ayanami," he started.

"Hello Pilot Ikari. I shall go and tell the Major that you have finally awoken," the girl said.

Just as she got to the door to leave, Shinji sat up and spoke again. "Wait a second."

Rei turned to him, "Yes?"

"Since we're friends, would you call me Shinji? 'Pilot Ikari' sounds too formal."

The First Child thought this over for a second, "Alright then...Shinji." And with that, she opened the door to leave, but not before startling one eavesdropping redhead. Asuka Langley Sohryu quickly hid back behind the wall next to the door in a futile attempt at remaining unseen.

Shinji just bowed and shook his head, laughing a bit. He fell back down on the bed and thought, 'At least, I can try and be more open to others this time. Heh, easier said than done.' He then spoke up, "Come on out, Asuka. I know you're there."

Asuka came out from around the corner with an irritated expression and entered the room, "Yeah, hi there idiot."

Shinji faked his best surprised face and asked, "What, were you worried about me enough to visit?"

Asuka glared in his direction, "No, I'm only here with Misato. Don't you go and think I'd actually visit because I wanted to!"

"Of course not, Asuka," he said in a slight mocking tone. "Never crossed my mind for a second." All the while he was thinking, 'I know I'm gonna get it later from her, but this is kinda fun. I can see why she does this so often.'

Then the door opened to reveal Misato Katsuragi, who looked relieved at the boy's condition, "You should really stop worrying us like that, Shinji."

The boy smiled and said, "Yeah, sorry about that Misato."

The major then turned over towards her other young charge and back towards Shinji again. "So, did I interrupt a little moment here?" she asked in that familiar teasing tone

"Pfft, hardly," the redhead told her.

Then Shinji spoke up, deciding it was time to have some fun with the both of them, "Actually, she said something about giving me some 'special care'. Or at least, that's how she put it." He barely managed to suppress the laugh that was threatening to come out. 'Asuka's gonna kill me later for that.'

The two women just looked at him with wide-eyed expressions until Misato burst out laughing, while Asuka just looked at him and fumed.

After a minute or two, Misato managed to speak. "Ha, that was great Shinji! Never thought I'd see you use a sense of humor," she said while fighting back more laughter. "Well, anyway, they've cleared you to leave. I'll give you a few to get dressed, so we'll be outside." She then opened the door and left. Asuka left a couple of seconds later, throwing the Third Child a dirty look (and the finger for good measure).

Shinji took a moment to stand up (all the while laughing himself) and reach for his clothes, all the while keeping a small smile on the inside. 'I'm glad to be back with all of them...' He allowed himself a smile on the outside at the thought, 'Maybe things will go for the better from here on.'

After finishing dressing, he met Misato outside near her car. She mentioned something about Asuka going shopping. 'More like avoiding me for a while,' Shinji thought. And both entered and drove off to the home Shinji felt he hadn't seen in a long time...

-----

As he entered the apartment, Misato explained to him that she had some paperwork to do back at NERV. So Shinji retired to the solitude of his room, finally all alone again with his thoughts. As he sat down on the familiar bed, he heard the voice of Nephilim.

"At least you have made it back to your home," he said.

Shinji sighed, "Yeah, what a home indeed."

Then Nephilim materialized next to the boy, "It is said that home is a state of mind. Familiar, comforting, and pleasant. This is all of those, is it not?"

Shinji nodded, "Yes, I see that now. I had always been too wrapped up in leaving it all behind and running away to see that."

"But you have learned that is not the correct path, right?," Nephilim asked.

"Right. Running does nothing to solve things. And I think I'm ready to start solving," Shinji said.

Nephilim looked at the boy, "That much I see. Now you just have to figure out what you will do with this opportunity." The figure then phased out as easily as it had entered.

Shinji looked to the clock, 'Need to go start cooking. And then there's still school tomorrow.' He then remembered what would occur in a week, 'Unit-03's activation...' His brow furrowed in concentration, 'I...I think I know what I have to do.' He then picked himself up off his bed and headed into the kitchen, all while going over possibly scenarios in his mind.

----

The next week passed, all the while Shinji observed the happenings he had missed previously more closely. An interaction he had overheard between a somewhat sullen Toji Suzuhara and a worried Hikari Horaki, shortly after Toji had been told he'd be the Fourth Child, had been one of those things.

He had been walking down the hallway that day during early evening when he caught the sight of Hikari entering Class 2-A. He stopped several feet from the door and listened closely.

"Um...Suzuhara," she started. "You have clean-up duty. You're supposed to clean the erasers and move the seats in order."

Toji's tired response came a few seconds later, "Yeah, I'll get right on it. As soon as I finish eating," he said, pointing toward the wrappings on the desk he was seated at. "Didn't get to eat lunch..."

"You always buy your lunches from the school shop?" she asked.

"Yeah," he answered. "No one's home to cook, so..." he trailed off.

"You know," Hikari said with a slight blush, "I have two sisters, Kodoma and Nozomi. I make their lunches all he time, and I always end up with a lot left over."

"That's a lot of work," Toji said, smiling a bit. "If you need to get rid of the extra, I'll help."

Hikari nodded, looking happier, "Yes, I'd like that."

Shinji noticed something else between their words, 'Heh, and I'll bet neither of them see it.' He then walked off towards the exit, making his way back home...

-----

Then there was the news about NERV's Second Branch disappearing.

"It disappeared?" he asked.

"Yeah, didn't you hear?" Kensuke Aida answered back, surprised the Third Child hadn't heard about it. "My dad's whole section was in a panic!"

The news wasn't exactly new to Shinji, but he had to keep up the part of looking naive. "No," he said, shaking his head. "I wasn't told a thing."

"I guess...they don't tell the pilots unless it's need-to-know," the spectacled boy mused.

'No,' Shinji thought, 'Misato didn't tell me because I would worry about it. But that was just one thing I couldn't change, not like I had anything to do with it...' his thoughts trailed off.

"I wonder who they got to pilot the new Eva?" Kensuke thought aloud.

"New Eva?" Shinji asked.

"Yeah, I looked around through some of NERV's files a couple of days ago. Unit-03 should be arriving at the end of the week, from the U.S. I think," the military otaku explained.

"You know," Shinji started, "you should really stop looking through those files. NERV might actually come looking for you one day. Just saying you should use a little caution."

"Do you think you could ask Misato if I could pilot it?" Kensuke asked with a pleading look.

Shinji laughed and shook his head at his friend's words, 'I bet he'll never know how close he came to getting in that one...' he thought. "I really don't think it's that easy." His face went serious. "And trust me, you don't really want to get in one. As much as you think it would be all heroics and Angel-beating, it's not that grand. There's a lot of pain that comes with it." He then turned to Kensuke. "You remember when you and Toji got into the plug, right?"

Kensuke nodded, "Yeah, but I didn't feel anything..."

"That was because I was the one linked to it. I was the only one who would've felt it. Trust me when I say it's not a privilege to get into one of those things," Shinji explained with the same seriousness. "More like some kind of curse."

Kensuke looked at Shinji with surprise, 'Hmm, never seen him get that serious before. He must really not be kidding.'

Both were quiet after that, continuing their meals.

-----

And then there was that one conversation he had caught between the First and Fourth Children the day after. Shinji had been sitting out of sight on the roof, absorbed in his thoughts of the next attack, when he had heard them.

"Who's there?" Toji had asked, sounding a little down. "Oh, it's just you Ayanami. So... I guess you know, huh?"

Rei nodded.

"Asuka acts like she knows, too. So I guess Shinji's the only one who doesn't?" he asked.

"No, something about him is different than it previously was prior to a week ago. He has...changed, for the lack of a better word," Rei explained.

"Yeah, how so?" Toji questioned.

"He seems slightly more open towards people than he was. He asked me to refer to him be first name, saying that he was a 'friend', thereby being the correct thing to do."

"Hmm, and all the while I thought he had a thing for you..." Toji mused.

Rei blinked in confusion, "I am not sure what you mean, Suzuhara."

"Y'know, a 'thing' for someone else. Like an attraction," he said.

The albino girl bowed her head, "I see..."

Toji turned to her, "You have a thing for him?"

Rei shook her head, "No, I am unsure how these feelings feel. But I can tell that it is not like that. It is something else"

"Sounds to me," Toji started, "like you consider him a friend more than anything, Rei."

The First Child looked at him a minute before speaking again, "I...I think that you may be correct, Suzuhara."

"Hey, none of that formal stuff around me. Just Toji, okay?" he asked. "I mean, since we're gonna be working together eventually, we might as well be more casual. You should try doing that with everyone. Well, except maybe Red. I don't think she'd like that too much."

"I believe I will then...Toji," Rei answered. She then turned and left the roof to ponder the Fourth Child's words. Shinji had heard the entire thing and smiled a bit, 'At least I can try and be more of a friend to her. She needs the human contact.' He then turned back to his thoughts concerning the future.

-----

Meanwhile, at that time, a conversation between Hikari and Asuka was taking place. Also concerning the Third Child's slight turn of mood.

"He has been acting a little different the last few days," Hikari stated.

"Yeah, that jerk made an idiot out of me in front of Misato when he woke up after the last battle," Asuka said with a touch of venom.

"Really? What'd he do?" the class rep asked.

"Well..." Asuka motioned for Hikari to come closer and told her what had happened in the hospital room. The pigtailed girl blushed a bit at Asuka's recounting of the boy's teasing attempts.

"That seems a bit odd for him, don't you think Asuka?" she asked the redhead.

"He just felt the need to make me look bad, I just know it," Asuka grumbled.

Hikari shook her head, "No, you know he's not that mean. He was probably just trying to liven the mood. You did say he almost died, right?"

Asuka fell a bit silent at the reminder of how close Shinji had come to death.

Hikari noticed this and took the opportunity to have some fun of her own, "What's the matter? Were you worried he wouldn't live?"

The German tornado (as she had been known during bad times) glared at her friend, "WHAT?!? What makes you think I give half-a-damn about that little boy?"

"Well, you did look a bit sad when I brought it up..." she trailed off, not wanting to enrage Asuka any more than this.

Asuka opened her mouth to retort, but she couldn't come up with a good comeback. So she just fell silent as both continued their lunches.

-----

The night before Misato had to leave for the Matsushiro Testing Facility, Shinji lay on his bed, asleep, trying to clear his head for a little while. All the things he had been going over for the last week had given him a headache, so he once again sought comfort from his S-DAT player. But it really didn't help him clear his thoughts.

'Need some respite from things, young one?' the voice of Nephilim crept into his head.

'I...guess I could use someone to talk to right now,' Shinji thought.

'I am not very good at normal conversation, I must warn you,' the angel said.

Shinji shook his head, 'That's alright, at least you'll listen.'

'Then what do you wish to speak of?' Nephilim asked.

'Do you think there was anything I could've done about the Second Branch?' Shinji thought.

'Ah, I see you will let things like that hang over you,' Nephilim said. 'No, I do not think there was anything you could have done about its disappearance.'

'Are you sure about that?' Shinji questioned.

'Do not let every little detail get to you. All you have to do is ensure that things do not end up like they did previously,' Nephilim explained.

'Alright, thanks for listening,' the boy thought.

'No need to thank me, I'll listen whenever needed.' The angel's voice then faded from his mind.

Shinji awoke a few minutes later to find that it was morning already. Lifting himself from his bed, he left for the bathroom to freshen and dress himself for school. Thirty minutes later, he emerged from the bathroom to start breakfast.

"No need to do that this morning, Shinji," a voice came from behind him.

He turned to see Misato standing there, dressed in full NERV uniform and carrying a suitcase.

"Oh, hi Misato," he said, trying not to sound worried. "Where's Asuka?"

"She left early," the major explained. "She just needs a little time to herself for now. It's best to do that with teenage girls."

"Yeah, I've learned that the hard way," Shinji said with a smile.

Misato smiled as well, 'He's changed a little, maybe for the better. At least a sense of humor is there.'

"You going somewhere?" Shinji questioned.

Misato cringed on the inside, knowing she'd have to tell him about the Fourth Child, "Yes, I have to go to Matsushiro for a couple of days. NERV's going to be receiving Unit-03 from America tomorrow, and that's where we'll be activating it. And don't worry about Asuka killing you," she teased, "Kaji's going to be staying with the two of you, so you won't be alone."

"I see..." Shinji said. "Um...is it true about the Second Branch of NERV? Did it really disappear?"

Misato jumped a little at his knowing of that disaster, "Yes, it's true. But...it's okay, we have three working Evas and another on the way. So there's nothing to worry about."

"What about the pilot of 03?" the Third Child asked, even though he knew she wouldn't say.

Misato hesitated a minute at his question, "Uh...the Fourth Child is..." she fell into silence there. 'I can't tell him, he'll just worry about it if anything goes wrong.'

"It's okay, Misato. I'll just wait and see. Just consider it a surprise," Shinji said, trying his best to smile.

The major's eyes widened a bit at this, 'Still, I wish I'd tell him. But I guess he won't mind...' Then she smiled and said, "Okay, then. We'll just let it be a surprise." She looked at her watch, "Damn, I'm gonna be late if I don't leave now. Bye Shinji!" And with that, she left the apartment.

Shinji closed the door and turned back to his breakfast, which was currently burning on the stove. 'Why do I get the feel that should be an omen or something?' he thought with a little sarcasm while throwing the burnt sausage away. Then the other resident of the apartment, the always-present Pen-Pen, tugged at the boy's leg. "I know, your meal. I'll get right on it," Shinji said. He quickly thawed out some fish and grabbed a beer from the fridge for the bird. He then left for school, knowing he still had a little guesswork about the next day to work out...

-----

That night, Kaji Ryoji had stayed over at the Katsuragi/Ikari/Sohryu apartment to keep 'damage control' as Misato had put it. Kaji and Shinji had both decided to sleep in the living room on separate futons. Shinji had been thinking a few things over about the double agent since the day before. Now was at least the time to act on some of them.

"Hey Kaji. You asleep yet?" Shinji asked quietly.

"No, not yet. Anything on your mind, Shinji?" Kaji answered.

Shinji sighed, "A lot of things, really. Tomorrow's activation has me worried."

"Oh, what are you worried about exactly?"

Shinji decided to fake innocence and play the 'unknowing boy' part, "I just wish I knew if everything is going to be alright. A lot has happened recently..."

Kaji smirked, unseen by the Third Child, "That's just part of life: you never know what it's going to hand you to solve next."

Shinji made his own unseen frown, 'If only you knew, Kaji. If only...'

"That wasn't all of what you wanted to ask, was it?" the older man questioned.

Shinji felt a bit uncomfortable about it, but Kaji was good with these kind of things. 'After all, I do need some advice on this before the next one...' He then spoke up, "Yeah, I need to ask you about...women."

Kaji laughed a bit, "So, you have someone in mind? Hmm? Or maybe you're thinking of taking Misato away, eh?"

Now it was the boy's turn to laugh, "No, I know how you feel about her. I wouldn't do that to you."

'He watches more around him than I thought...' Kaji thought, a bit surprised at the boy's observations. "Well, then, anyone I know? That might help things."

"Yes, and try to keep it down," Shinji said, hoping the man would get the hint.

"Ah, I see," Kaji said. "Not that I didn't see it before."

"Really?" the Third Child asked with some feigned ignorance.

"Uh-huh. They say opposites attract, and that holds true here, at least for you. But you two are more alike than you know, at the same time," Kaji explained.

Shinji had already known that last part, he had seen it himself during Instrumentality. "Well then, what do you think I should do? It's hard just going along like it is now."

"You surprise me, Shinji. I had no idea you thought like this."

The boy laughed nervously, "Well, it's just been nagging me for a while. Since after the Seventh Angel." This was true, he had thought about the fiery girl like that since then. Only some time back had he realized just how serious those thoughts were. But he had to face them eventually, just as long as he could bury that one ghost hanging over him.

"Heh, that was quite some time back." Kaji thought it over for a while, "Well, with her, the best idea would to just come out and explain it all to her. She's not exactly used to things like that, so it might just work. But I can't say for certain, Asuka's a complex girl..."

They both thought the same thing at those last words, 'Man, that was an understatement...'

Then the older man continued, "Was that what you were looking for?"

Shinji nodded, "Yeah, I think I might just try that. Good night, then." The boy then turned over and drifted off to sleep.

Kaji smirked again, "Yeah, I hope that works too. 'Night." He then followed suit and drifted off himself.

All the while, the figure of Nephilim had watched this exchange between the two humans. 'The boy is learning to be open. This holds well for his well-being.' The angel then faded out of this plane for the time being...

-----

And the next day, Shinji sat in the classroom, waiting for what would happen. Then Nephilim contacted him via thought.

'So, you have something worked out?' he asked.

'Yeah. I just hope it works,' Shinji answered.

'You have changed much since I brought you back,' the angel said.

'No, not really. I think I just have things more planned out than I usually do. I must do what I can to try and save my friend. Even if I must go against my father...'

Nephilim could sense the slight anger resonating after those last words, 'Yes, I have seen what a cold and unfeeling man he is...'

Shinji shook his head, 'No, I saw what he had been planning to do during Third Impact. I can see why he's like that, and I really don't hold it against him that much anymore. He just wanted to see mother again, even if he did want to end the world to it...'

'I see. Then...' Nephilim's words were then cut off by the alarm. 'Seems you have some work to do.'

'Uh-huh. Are you going?' Shinji asked.

'Yes. I must keep watch over your well-being, you see.' Nephilim then went silent.

Shinji looked to Rei and Asuka, who were already up and headed toward the door. 'Time to fix this, then...' He then got up and followed suit.

-----

Thirty minutes later, the three pilots were suited up and awaiting orders. Because of Misato being at Matsushiro at the time of the attack, the Commander would have to give the orders this time. But Shinji was already preparing for what he would have to do.

The three were placed and awaiting when the shadow of Unit-03 came out from the horizon.

"Th-that's the target?" Asuka asked.

"Correct, Pilot," Commander Ikari answered.

Rei kept her sight on the lumbering bio-machine, 'The Fourth is still inside.'

Shinji's eyes narrowed a slight bit at the sight, something that had once haunted his dreams some time ago. 'No, I won't let it get to me. That was then, this is different.'

Then Shinji spotted a small, floating figure near the shoulder of the rogue Eva. 'What is that?' he thought.

The voice of Nephilim then came to him again, "That is something I wish I would never have seen again. I will explain it to you another time." He then flew over to the other ethereal figure floating above Tokyo-3. A being looking much like himself, only dressed in dark blue robes and gray wings.

As he came within a few feet of the other, Nephilim stopped and stared down the other entity. "Hello Azrael..."

The being then looked at Nephilim with eyes that spoke of hate, "Hello Nephilim. It has been far too long, don't you agree?"

"Not long enough for me," he answered. "By your being here, I take it that means you have seen fit to try and work things to your favor?"

Azrael bowed his head and laughed, "I merely want to see things through to their end. But you seem to have changed that 'end', have you not?"

Nephilim shook his head, "No, that was the young boy's wish to return. I only gave him the choice."

Azrael looked back up and grinned, "Ah, no matter. But just why do you help them? They're only going to destroy themselves anyway."

"They have the right to exist on this world, just as anything else," Nephilim said.

"Oh?" Azrael raised an eyebrow. "Then what of them?" he said, pointing toward the form of the 13th Angel.

"You and I both know well that they should not have been," Nephilim answered.

"Ha, you still think the same things you did so long ago..." Azrael shook his head slightly. "Before we get back to business, what say we watch and see how these creatures fare in this battle?"

Nephilim nodded, and the two turned to watch the battle, before they would be settling things for themselves...

-----

During the same time, Unit-03 (now infected by the 13th Angel) had managed to get the drop on Asuka. But Shinji had been waiting for it.

"Oh no, not this time," he said. Shinji then proceeded to throw the rogue Eva unit off his teammate. "You okay, Asuka?" he questioned.

"Idiot, I'll tell you when I need your damn help!" she yelled over the comm line.

Shinji smiled to himself and turned his attention back to the form of Unit-03, now getting back up and readying itself for the next attack.

'I have to get it down. I need to get the plug out of it before...' he let the thought trail off, not wanting to see that old memory again.

"Asuka, are you still able to move?" he asked. "Rei, are you still there?"

"Of course! That was nothing," Asuka said.

"Yes," came Rei's response.

"Okay, I've got a plan, but I need you two to hold down the enemy."

"What makes you think I'm gonna follow your orders?" Asuka complained.

"Just do it, dammit!" came Shinji's angered reply, which startled both girls a bit. "We need to save the pilot first."

Then Commander Ikari cut in the comm line, "Pilot Ikari, why are you deviating from the mission plan?"

"There's still a human in there, and I'm not going to kill them."

"You will follow orders and destroy the target at any cost. Do you understand?" the Commander said, slightly upset.

Shinji cut the comm line to the bridge and concentrated for a second, 'Mother, if you can hear me in this machine, keep them from taking control. I have to save the pilot's life. Please...' He then felt the same, familiar warm feeling course through him. 'Thank you, mother.'

On the command bridge, Commander Ikari shouted down to the technicians, "Switch all control of Unit-01 from pilot to Dummy Plug!"

"We can't, Commander!" came the cries of Maya Ibuki. "The Eva's not accepting outside commands!"

'Dammit, what's he doing? This is not going according to the scenario,' thought the Commander.

Back on the battlefield, Units 00 and 02 had managed to hold down the berserk Unit-03 while Unit-01 was busy cutting away the webbing around the entry plug. After a few minutes of thrashing about from the Angel, Shinji carefully removed the plug from the Eva and handed it off to Unit-00.

"Rei, get this to a safe location," he ordered.

Rei nodded and directed her Eva towards one of the catapults down to the Geofront. 'I'm going against the Commander's orders... but I wish to help Shinji as well. I do not want to see Pilot Suzuh...Toji injured, either.' She sat the plug down onto the ground near the catapult and headed back to the battle, where the other two Evas were trying to fight off the Angel's attacks.

"Dammit, stop moving!" Asuka shouted. She then plunged her progressive knife into the flesh of Unit-03's side. The beast howled and threw a kick to Unit-02's midsection, sending it back several yards onto its back.

Shinji looked back to the Angel, which was now crouched and ready to pounce. 'I know this pose...' he thought. Seconds later, the arms of Unit-03 stretched out to catch Unit-01's neck...but only found themselves being stuck with a progressive knife. Shinji had seen the arms coming and caught them both with the same stab. 'No, that won't work this time.' He then grabbed both arms and tore the knife through them, ripping the forearms in half.

The Angel roared in pain and rushed Unit-01. Catching it in the side, the 13th then proceeded to bite and head-butt the midsection of Unit-01. But it did little good, as Shinji picked the armless invader up and slammed it down on the pavement. He then grabbed it by the neck, as Unit-01 had done once before (under the control of the Dummy Plug). 'You will not hurt them, I will NOT let you!' he shouted in his mind.

The crack of Unit-03's neck was heard for a three-mile radius...

-----

The forms of Nephilim and Azrael had watched the spectacle unfold.

"You see? They can indeed survive what is to come for themselves," Nephilim said.

"No, there will be worse to confront them. You know that well, do you not?" Azrael asked. "Why not just give it up and come with me? We can watch it all come down again."

Nephilim then reached into his robes and drew a large, nearly-invisible sword. "No, I will not allow you to interfere with their existence."

Azrael then did the same, only the sword he pulled was pitch-black. "Then I will have to rid myself of you, much like I should have done long ago."

The two then rushed each other in an attempt to cut the other down. A clash of swords was all either met on the first attack, however.

"Why do you continue to help them, Nephilim?" Azrael asked as their swords were locked, trying to overpower the other.

"I have my reasons, and you know them. Why do you wish to see them dead and broken?" Nephilim retorted.

The two then broke the sword-lock and backed away from each other, "Just as I know your reasons, you know mine. And they will not change," Azrael said while pointing the tip of his sword towards his enemy.

"Then we can never see eye-to-eye, it seems," Nephilim countered.

For the next few minutes (if anybody had been able to see it), Tokyo-3's skies became the battleground between two angelic figures. Both constantly trying to get in the first cut on the other. The clash of ethereal swords and the sight of two angels in flight was truly a sight to behold.

But as Nephilim readied himself for another strike, Azrael suddenly sheathed his blade. "It seems it is time for me to withdraw for now," he announced. "But make no mistake, we shall continue this 'friendly conversation' next meeting. Until then..." He then bowed and then faded out of this world.

"Yes, we shall definitely continue this next time," Nephilim said and returned his weapon to its place.

-----

After the Evas were returned to their cages, the pilots were exiting the area when they met the Commander near the door. Behind him were two Section 2 agents.

"Pilot Ikari, you interfered with the mission plan and failed to follow orders," Commander Ikari said. "Punishment is in order. Twenty-four hours in a holding cell." He then motioned to the agents behind him "Take him away."

Rei looked to both Shinji and Commander Ikari with a puzzled expression. Asuka just looked on with a surprised one.

Shinji remained silent the whole time, even as he was being handcuffed. As he was led away from his father, the boy cast him a look that (if they could kill) would have felled a normal man.

High above in the Eva cages, Nephilim watched the scene, 'I hope you know what you are doing, Gendo Ikari. It would be unwise to have your son as an enemy.'

-----To be continued...-----

A/N: Well, that's two down and about seven to go. I just hope I don't lose inspiration and/or motivation before it's over...
If anything seems a bit OOC, consider that this *is* a first try. But I know the drill there…
As for Azrael , that will be explained next chapter (not that some of you probably can‘t guess already…).

*-*-*Now for a little behind-the-scenes Omake!*-*-*

A large young man, dressed in a Rolling Stones tee-shirt and jean shorts (the author), sits on the edge of a mattress on the floor. He puts down the keyboard, takes off his headphones, and overlooks his current work-in-progress.

Author: Well, that makes two...

A tiny green-haired fairy, dressed in a black gown and carrying a scythe (his muse Mitsumi, go figure), approaches the author and seats herself on his shoulder.

Mitsumi: (with a one-fang-showing smile) And that's how many more?

Author: (tiredly) Don't remind me. I only just got down the major events in each. Now onto the names...

Mitsumi: At least the reviews have been good...

Author: (thinks it over for a second) This is true.

Mitsumi: (with a mean gleam in her eye and the scythe in her hands) Now as long as you don’t go and write anything ecchi…

Author: (sweating a bit) Now come on, what makes you think I would?

Mitsumi just continues to give him that all-knowing 'evil-eye'.

Author: (slumps shoulders) Alright, ma'am.

Mitsumi: (smiling) Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I have outfits to try on... (leaves room)

Author: (whispering) …oh Hand of God, why me?

Mitsumi: (shouting from other room) I HEARD THAT!

The author visibly shudders and cringes, knowing what he'd get if he opened his mouth again...

*-*-*End of Omake*-*-*

Pre-read was once again done by FinalMax (Who was a big help with this part, reminding me of a few crucial scenes that were left out. Thanks again for all the help and feedback, man!)

And on a last note, this has been updated as of 5/19/2004. Finally got a spellchecker and did a few touch-ups here and there.

And as usual, all comments are welcome; good criticism is appreciated, flames will be overlooked (or stored and used for power.)

-AngelNo13Bardiel