Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cafe au Lait ❯ More than you ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: I'm back with the second chapter. Thanks to all of you who took the time to read the previous one, and who'll hopefully stick it out until the end. Also, thanks to all of you who might have visited Yukithefox's DeviantArt page to check out her fantastic art. I'm sure she appreciates the hits.
XXX
Caramel gave a slight chuckle as he reached the front porch of the cozy little cafe, with his new pet in tow, and paused to snap his umbrella shut and shake the water off of it. “Here we are.” The redhead hummed softly to the small, plum-haired boy.
Coffee apprehensively glanced into a nearby window, before furrowing his brow and glancing to Caramel with a look of confusion clearly painted on his face. “You brought me to a cafe.” He pointed out, with a frown.
“I'm aware of that.” The slightly annoyed wolf rolled his eyes. “But thank you for pointing out the obvious.” Having nothing left to say, and deciding that it was a lot nicer inside that out in the cold and soggy weather, he reached out, firmly grasping the slim, golden door handle and pushed it down to push the door open.
Coffee blinked as the sweet aroma of warm tea and cakes hit him like a ton of bricks, before enticing him to follow the auburn-haired boy inside. A small gasp left his lips as he tilted his face upward, staring in awe at the vast expanse of pearl pink ceiling, and the large chandeliers that hung in various places around the cafe. His gaze dropped slightly, to follow what seemed to be an ivory stair curved in a semi-circle and leading to the second floor, that was set as a more leisurely setting than the first floor, and was lined with coffee tables with spacious burgundy couches on either side. In his daze, he had nearly slammed into Caramel as said boy abruptly stopped walking. His grey eyes widened, before he blinked slowly and moved to stand beside him, instead of behind him, and noticed a boy around the age of fourteen, with short, brunette hair and warm, chestnut colored eyes standing in the way, and sporting black vest on top of a long-sleeved white dress shirt, along with a black bow-tie and pants.
A smile just as warm as his eyes played upon the stranger's lips, before he looked to the confused cat boy and greeted him. “Irasshai.”The handsome waiter flicked a stay strand of hair out of his face, before tilting his head. “Are you a party of two?”
“Relax, Latte,” Caramel interjected. “He's with me.” he smiled slightly, before looking down at his kitten. “Coffee, this is Latte...he's one of the waiters who work at my cafe.”
Slightly taken off guard by the news, Coffee blinked slowly and tried to find his words. “This is...your cafe?”
“Sure is.” Coffee nodded, before glancing around the room, and ushering him past the brunette, to a certain white-haired neko that caught his eye. “And there's someone else I'd like you to meet.” A gentle hand was placed on Coffee's head, right between his perked, black ears. “Oi. Useless Milk...I've got a new one.” he announced to the younger waiter. “Name's Coffee.”
A slight noise rose from the back of Milk's throat, before he turned, gracefully balancing a glass of strawberry milk on a silver tray trimmed with an assortment of flowers and vines. A pleased smile tugged at his lips, once his brain processed the good news, and his hand was raised instinctively, which caused him to drop the tray, along with the glass. “Hi! Nice to meet you!”
The second nekojin blinked and furrowed his brow as he looked to the slightly paler boy. 'Useless Milk...?' he pondered, soon realizing he didn't have to wonder for too long.
Caramel watched as the silver tray clattered loudly to the tile floor, before the glass of strawberry milk followed, shattering into a hundred pieces and coating the floor with the pink liquid. A displeased groan rose up from the pit of his stomach, and the furry, black wolf ears atop his head twitched in annoyance. “You!” He roared at Milk and gave him a glare that would make a grown man wet his pants. “Stop breaking crap!” he roared, before lashing out at the clumsy nekojin to inflict a sharp, stinging blow to the top of his head.
Said boy gave a pained yelp and brought his hands up to nurse the space between his ears, as Caramel stormed off and left him to clean up the mess.
The darker-haired boy breathed a tiny sigh and gave a light shake of his head as his black cat tail wriggled slightly behind him. 'Home sweet home.' Slowly, he dropped onto one knee in front of Milk, who was stretched out on the floor and whining softly. “Ah, um....” Nervously, Coffee bit hit lip, before lightly touching his chin. “Are you okay?” he inquired, wondering whether he should ask for Latte's assistance.
Milk's furry, white ears perked slightly on top of his head, as he processed the question, unused to having help offered to him after a lashing by Caramel. “Eh...?” Once the words began to register, he pushed himself up slowly, and rubbed his head while smiling at the new recruit. “This? O-oh, well...” he paused, while trying to find the right words to explain the situation. “Mister Caramel always does this.” A soft laugh was forced from his pink lips, before he continued. “Guess I deserved it!” he said, while his hand accidentally brushed the sore spot on his head. “Ow, oww...” he closed his eyes tightly as a pained whimper slipped past his lips, but went ignored by Coffee, who was too busy losing himself in the last few spoken words.
'Deserved your pain?' The plum-haired one blinked and found his way to his feet, before turning his back to Milk and slowly moving away, as heavy thoughts weighed upon the forefront of his mind. 'I..deserved my pain...?' The once cheery atmosphere of the cafe turned gloomy, as the boy sulked to himself.
The klutzy kitten tilted his head, sensing the sudden change in Coffee's mood. “Wah. Coffee?” He frowned, suddenly realizing that he was at a loss as to what he could do to lift said boy's spirits. Before an idea could hit him and burrow itself in his brain, Caramel leapt onto the scene and rushed to Coffee's side, throwing his arms around the boy's neck like a worried parent.
“Ah! Sweet Coffee! What has happened?” The older boy panicked, while clinging to the stray nekojin like a magnet, unaware of the slight crease of Coffee's brow, along with the soft pink blush that colored his cheeks no sooner had he closed the distance between them.
In that moment, the overpowering scent of Caramel's cologne hit the poor stray full force, and he was forced to close his eyes tightly in a failed attempt to ignore it. With the death grip Caramel had around him, it was all too clear that he wouldn't be making an escape anytime soon, and he'd be forced to endure it. The man was smothering him, and he wondered just how long it would be before he noticed. The smell of the cologne brought tears to the corners of his tightly shut eyes, and he sweat dropped, trying his best to stifle a whimper.
Caramel picked up the tiny noise and opened his eyes to stare upon the face of his beloved Coffee, before he allowed a soft gasp to spill past his lips. “Is that a tear there....? Oh my God!” His mouth was set in a straight line, and his eyes suddenly grew cold, as he turned his head quickly to cast a death glare at his clumsy Milk. “Surely my little waiter was not responsible...?” he questioned with a soft snarl, the once warm tone of his voice he held only for Coffee, deserting him.
The grey-eyed boy near Caramel blinked slowly, taken aback by the man's sudden mood swings, and perked his cat ears curiously, deciding to step in and defend Milk before things could get ugly. “N-no...” he protested, with a light shake of his head. He nibbled on his bottom lip, unsure if he should continue or not, and his eyes widened slightly as the wolf glanced back in his direction with an inquisitive stare.
“Hm?” The elder cocked an eyebrow, curious as to what would make his little Coffee stand up for the clumsy kitten.
The plum-haired nekojin continued, through growing slightly flustered at the attention being given to him and the pressure of explaining the cause of his outburst. “No, he's...I like him.” he stuttered, while trying to the best of his ability to hide the blush that made itself more visible on his cheeks.
Milk could only stand by the strawberry mess he had made, and tilt his head in confusion, completely lost by trying to figure out their conversation.
The wolf's eyes widened in shock, before a look of confusion settled in on his face while he went over Coffee's comment in his mind. “....Milk?” he blinked, obviously in a daze. He couldn't help but to let his ears droop a little upon hearing the news, and soon realized that his sweet Coffee had yet to admit his feelings for him.
A/N: I really should be catching up on my school work and my other fics, but I guess I'm a natural procrastinator. Anyway, reviews will make me update faster!