Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Damned ❯ No Need for Conversation ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 6: No Need for Conversation
I kissed her. I made out with her. I could not wipe the smile from my face. It was such a complication. It was a painful and an impossible relationship. I did not care. I admitted this to myself, while I was alone, even my own brain had a hard time admitting it; but I was in love with her. I was in love with my sworn enemy. This love story went far deeper than even Shakespeare could dream up. I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. Why did humans have to sleep? Why could not I stay with her? When would I see her again? Twelve long hours is when I would see her again – we made plans to “hang out” at ten in the morning. I could not wait. I would simply sneak in to her room. No one would notice, she would hardly notice. Yes, that is what I would do.
Medea opened my door then, I was so caught up in my trance that I did not even hear her approaching.
“Hello Medea,” I greeted her, “What is it that I can do for you?”
“You have to stop this.” She whispered. I struggled to compose my face into a mask of indifference; I failed as the smile slipped through.
“Stop… what exactly?”
“You know! You can’t fraternize with the enemy! You made out with her! This isn’t just getting information any more. Think Connor. Use that brain.” She was giving me a lecture on brain usage.
I pointed out how ironic that was.
“This isn’t funny! You are going to get yourself killed for some… human.” She spat the word as though it brought distaste to her mouth just thinking about it.
“Medea,” I was trying to be calm with her – a difficult task when I have had so much practice being rash and insubordinate. “Medea, just think about what you said for one minute; don’t act like you are better than humans. We were all human once.”
I moved to leave when I heard Menoch’s thunderous footfalls. I looked at the door, waiting for him to enter. Menoch did not even exchange pleasantries.
“I’m taking you off the huntress case.”
“What!?” I had not expected that.
“You are flying back to Manitoba. This is not negotiable.” He turned to leave before I could respond.
“I am not going!” I yelled. This was ridiculous.
“You obviously have been compromised.” He looked at Medea and then back to me. “What information did you receive today?” Menoch asked. He knew I had none. “If you are not useful to me, you are useless.”
“But you cannot send me home! I can be useful in the battle.”
“When you risk your life and our limb to save the huntress? I don’t think so. I will see you at home in a week.”
A week. The battle was that close? I vied for time. “Please.” I had not said please to Menoch since that day in the woods. If I could cry I might have. “Please do not send me home. Let me remain here, with my clan, with my family.”
Menoch looked at me, struggling for a response; I could practically see the cogs in his mind, the neurons firing as he thought over the prospects. For once I had no idea what he would decide. I was fairly good at knowing that Menoch would always give me what I wanted; but now, I could not be sure. I could only hope, and pray; something I was no longer practiced at.
“Connor,” I braced myself, “You are a valuable fighter; but you have gotten weak. You live off animals,” No one knew that but Cassandra. How long had Medea been following me? I looked over to see her looking away nervously.
“You are in love with a witch. You have been compromised and I cannot allow you to hurt my family. Do you understand?”
“I can get information from her. I can. Please. She trusts me.” Menoch considered and looked to Medea as though choosing between us.
Should he listen to Medea, who was telling him that I was not useful? Or would he listen to me, his most trusted fledgling, and companion of two hundred years? He sighed. “Do not let me down.”
I would not have to leave Cassandra! I could have jumped up and down but I settled for a relieved sigh.
“Thank you Menoch, Sir.”
“Do not make me regret this. Come along Medea.” She did so without hesitation.
I waited until I was sure they were occupied before I disappeared out of the house. I made my way to Cassandra’s. I was frenzied. This was impossible. We both knew it.
I snuck in through her bedroom window. She was not in her room? I listened and heard her downstairs with her dog; I followed the sound of her footsteps up the stairs and saw her come in to her room. I smiled. Just the sight of her could make my features change.
She turned and exclaimed when she saw me. “Jesus Christ!” her hand flew to her heart and a nervous laughter filled her throat. “You scared me half to death.”
“I’m sorry.”
“What are you doing here?” she asked.
“I had to see you.” I had to break up with her. We could not be. This was impossible.
“I’ll see you in the morning.”
“I am bound by vampire law.” There was no easy way to do this. Be firm. Be cold.
“To Menoch?” she asked innocently. I nodded.
“I know. My mom told me. She said that you were bound to him until he died… or you did.”
“The witch is right. Therefore, we are impossible Cassandra.”
She looked at me as though expecting me to say more; but that was all I had to say.
She walked toward me, placed her hand on my cheek and smiled. The actions baffled me.
“Do you know what I wanted to be when I grew up?” she asked. “I wanted to be a psychologist. I have even been applying to college for it. But, now I have learned that I have to be a coven leader. I can still be a psychologist mom says, but I have to do coven work first. Always put the coven first, she told me. It would have taken me about eight years to have a PhD in my field. Now it will take me more than a decade because I have coven work to attend to.”
“Why are you telling me this?”
“Because, I understand being bound to your family. I understand the impossibilities we face Connor.” She looked at me, her eyes blazing with emotion, “But, the fact remains that I love you. If you love me too then we can work this out.”
“I love you.”
Even when I was human I had never felt a sweeter emotion than this one: Cassandra and I, our love guiding us. Our faith renewed by the trust we had in each other. I did not believe in frivolity, things like destiny or faith even – but I knew in my bones that we were soul mates. She was mine. Until I died; she was mine.