Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Oh the Magic of Sweet 16! ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"Ren, hurry up or you're going to be late for your own party," called my mother, frantically, from the bottom of the staircase. You don't have to know my mom to tell she was annoyed and anxious, but none the less, her annoyance level was working mine.
"Alright Mom, I'm coming," I called reluctant to leave the safe haven that was my bedroom. Actually my mom was lucky that I heard her over the music blaring on my stereo. I turned it off as Mom made another attempt at luring me out of my "cave". I sighed as I ran my brush through my perfectly straight jet black hair before my mother unleashed whatever preppy undo she had planned on my head. I shuddered at the thought, grabbed my dress bag and my shoes, and took one long look at myself in my mirror.
"Goodbye normal life, hello freak city," I said. I switched off the light and ran down the stairs. I was in no mood to deal with my mother’s crap. So without a word I hopped in the backseat and turned on my Mp3. My Sweet Sixteen wasn't turning out so sweet.
In the car on the way to the hotel I consumed with thoughts of, not the performance I was supposed to give tonight at my party or my grand entrance like all those girls on the television, but of the secret my mother had kept from me for my whole life. The secret I've had to carry with me all my life just got ten tons heavier.
I knew this was coming eventually. It's not like I could hide from my powers forever, I just didn't know that they'd all hit at once I thought as I shut the car door, and I leaned on it for a moment It isn't like I enjoy lying to my friends now what was I supposed to say when my powers started acting up and.....
I walked into the hotel, and up to the suite we'd booked to get ready for the party. We got into the room and I had slipped on a soft complimentary robe and, as if on cue, Mom started the same speech she gave me earlier. I was able to shut my door and enter my own world at home. I couldn't do that in a hotel room, at least not until Lena showed up.
"Renee' Alexis Mardson," I flinched when she used my full name. She saw this as she reached for the evil in the form of a curling iron. "Honey I know that you’re scared, but you of all people should know that even though you want to run from this, you can't run from who you are.
"I know Mom, but that doesn't mean that I like it. I hate lying to Lena. If she even remotely starts to question our friendship because of this other half of me that I can't show her I don't know what I'll do" I started to cry as I pushed the curling torture device away and plopped face down onto the queen sized bed. I tensed then sat up and dried my eyes. I always knew when someone was coming. My mother opened her mouth to say something but thankfully my bestie and only V.I.P. for the night Lena Delarossa bounced into the room. Her blonde headed self was all I saw as I was attacked by the fierceness that is my Lenny-boo.
"Happy birthday Ren," Lenny said as she giggled and readjusted the lime green hair streaks (they were clip in that she bought just for the party).
"Thanks, Lenny" I smiled in return. By then my mother had realized that she wasn't going to get her way with my hair, thank the stars in the sky, had left the room to get ready herself.
One hour later and Len and I were finishing off our looks for the evening. Thanks to Lena's amazing gift at sewing she was able to perfectly recreate the designs that I had created last year for our dresses. They both had black satin bodices with black lace and beads that matched our dress's colors; hers lime green while mine was hot pink.
Her bodice however was fashioned into a halter top (with a lime green strap) while mine had hot pink off the shoulder straps, and Len had even gone the extra mile and added black beading to them. The skirt of her dress was simple straight and of course lime green, it's her favorite color after all, and had a sheer black covering over it tinting it slightly. My skirt however started at my hips and fell to my feet about a half a foot on each side. In the center there was solid black panel and the rest of the skirt was hot pink.
Lenny had managed to get her hair to frame her face in perfect ringlets. Not to mention her sparkling green eye shadow somehow managed to match her icy blue eyes and her deep caramel completion all at the same time. I'd never know how Len always managed to look so perfect.
"You look amazing Lena...as usual," I sighed as I looked her up and down. I turned to my own reflection and sighed even heavier. Len saw and hugged me from behind.
"Well if I look perfect then you have nothing to fear my dear, because you look extravagant." she replied as she clipped in the hot pink streaks she had bought me (two on each side just like hers) and pulled two small sections of my hair and pinned them carefully into place. I had to hand it to her, she had worked her magic, and I laugh secretly at my own inside joke, and made me look just like the 'Dark Princess' I was going to be crowned as in a matter of minutes. My chocolate eyes looked amazing with a softer pink on my pale skin. Again, I'd never know how she did these things.
Yes, we looked perfectly ready to enter the grand ballroom below that was filled with all of my friends dressed as creatures of darkness. It was my one rule: I'd allow my mother to make it a princess party if and ONLY if it could be a 'Princess of Darkness' theme. Reluctantly she agreed, she thought the whole Darkness thing was a bad idea, and I had to remind her darkness doesn't always mean evil, and so I had it specifically marked on the invitations that all guests could wear just about any color except those horrible light Easter looking shades of things and white for the evening. The only person allowed to wear white was my Angelic Prince. He was wearing a white tuxedo with a black dress shirt and a hot pink tie (I had him wrapped around my finger).
Deryck Jayden Cashman was my escort, my prince, at least for tonight. He's also been my crush since I was fourteen years old. He had agreed to come for me and was actually excited to be invited. Deryck wasn't the popular jock boy at school, but what could be stereotyped as an 'emo'. He was beautiful. His dark brown hair always seemed to be able to do this flippy thing that I loved and he always had his deep green eyes hidden...except when he was talking to me.
Everyone thinks he's strange because he only talks to me and Len but it’s only because he doesn't trust anyone else. He never knew his parents his father died when he was only three and then his mom committed suicide right after that, so he had been bounced around from foster home to foster home for twelve years. Finally he got adopted by a family two years ago and his foster mom is my mother's best friend.
That's how we met, they had been begging me to try to break down his walls and I finally caved. It took awhile but I finally got him to open up and now we're extremely close. He's my best guy friend. If I need to talk to someone and Lenny isn't around I call him up, he runs the two blocks to my house, knocks on my door(no matter what time of night it is), and we sit up in my tree house until it’s all better. And I do the same for him, no matter what.
"Ren...REN! Hellooo anyone in there? Your mom is here to give you something." I heard Len call as I was rudely pulled from my thoughts about D.J.
My mom without a word handed me a velvet box, when I opened it inside was a simple silver chain with a circular shaped pendant. In the center was a crystal heart and on the sides of it wing shapes were cut out of the metal. Mom fastened it around my neck.
"It'll help keep you powers under control" was all she had time to whisper as a knock sounded on the door. Len raced to answer it as I pulled on my black heels. As I looked up, my brain couldn't process what happened until after the fact. All I know is that two soft lips crashed down on mine….