Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 02

Sakura: Sano…I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you.

Sanosuke: Hey, I always do just what I want! Besides, I haven't had a good fight in a while…at least not until you got into town.

Sakura smiles as she drifted into unconsciousness. She had lost a lot of blood from the dagger wound and her body had been pushed to its limits. Sano knew time was of the essence and he began to run.

Sanosuke: Dr. Gensai, its me Sano, open up!

Megumi opened the door.

Megumi: Sano, what are you doing here so late? You can't just- (noticing the girl on his back) Who's that?

Sanosuke: (with a sense of urgency) You've got to help her, she's already passed out from losing so much blood.

Megumi: (pointing to an empty room) Bring her in here and put her down.

As Sano put Sakura down Dr. Gensai walks in.

Dr. Gensai: (yawning) What's all the commotion? (noticing Sakura) Sakura?

Megumi: She's lost a lot of blood, we're going to have to treat her quickly.

Dr. Gensai: Sano, please wait outside. Megumi, get the bandages.

As Megumi and Dr. Gensai work to treat Sakura's wounds, Sano sits outside looking at the stars. His mind begins to wander. [Sakura, please be alright…What is this that I'm feeling? I know we just met today but…I can't get her out of my head. What's wrong with me? Why? Why Sakura…why can't I stop thinking about you?]

Megumi goes outside and sits next to Sano.

Megumi: Sano this is so unlike you, you look so pensive. So what's the deal with that girl anyway?

Sanosuke: (being startled from his thoughts) Huh? Oh, that's Kaoru's sister, Sakura. What happened tonight is a long story…I don't know if I have the energy to tell it.

Megumi: Sister huh…? Well anyway, you can go home now. Dr. Gensai is treating her ankle. Her stab wound was deep but it missed all the vital organs. She'll be fine with enough rest.

Sanosuke: (hopeful) Has she regained consciousness?

Megumi: (a little hesitant) No.

Sanosuke: I'll stay with her.

Megumi: What? Why?

Sanosuke: She saved my neck a couple of times tonight. It's my turn to return the favor.

Megumi: But-

Before she could finish Sano had already left. As he entered the room where Sakura was being treated, he saw that Dr. Gensai was just leaving.

Dr. Gensai: Ah Sano, I just finished. I take it from the look on your face that you are going to stay here tonight. I'll have Megumi bring you a blanket and I will check on the two of you in the morning.

Morning comes and Megumi goes in to check on Sakura. She sees Sano sitting by Sakura's side. He looks as if he didn't get any sleep at all.

Megumi: Sano? Uh…how is she?

Sanosuke: No change.

Megumi thinks to herself [Man, I have never seen him look so serious…could he really have feelings for this girl…?]

Sanosuke: Megumi, I have a favor to ask you. Will you take this letter to the Kamiya dojo?

Megumi: Uh…sure…

Megumi takes the letter and leaves. A few minutes later Dr. Gensai walks in with a plate of food.

Dr. Gensai: Here Sano, eat something. (hands him the plate of food) Megumi made it before she left.

Sanosuke: Thanks

Dr. Gensai checks Sakura's vital signs along with her wounds.

Dr. Gensai: Well, her vital signs are strong. I'm sure she will regain consciousness before too long. All we can do now is wait.

Sanosuke: Thanks Doc.

Over at the Kamiya Dojo…

Kenshin: Ah, Good morning Megumi-dono

Megumi: (running up to Kenshin) Good morning Sir Ken.

Kaoru: (quietly) Great, what is SHE doing here?

Megumi: Sano asked me to bring this over. (hands Kenshin the note)

Kenshin: Thank you.

Everyone gathers around Kenshin as he reads the note.

Kenshin: (reading) "On the way to Dr. Gensai's last night Sakura became unconscious. Although her wounds were treated promptly, she has not regained consciousness. I have decided to stay with her until she gets better. Sano"

Kaoru: Poor Sakura. She must have been more injured that I realized.

Kenshin: I'm not surprised…that fight took a lot out of her, both physically and emotionally.

Yahiko: Let's go see her! Maybe she'll snap out of it!

Kenshin: (smiles) That might even cheer Sano up, that it might.

Everyone went back with Megumi to Dr. Gensai's. Their long visit included Kaoru fighting with Yahiko, Sano fighting with Yahiko, and Kenshin trying to keep the peace. Finally everyone went back home. Well, everyone except for Sanosuke. Sano was determined to stay by Sakura's side.

Sitting there alone his thoughts were racing [Sakura…why?…Please…please get better…I…I can't lose another…] With these thoughts flooding his mind Sano drifted off to sleep. Night gave way to morning and in the midst of his dreams Sano heard Sakura's sweet voice.

Sakura: Sano?…Sanosuke…

Sanosuke: (being startled out of sleep) Huh? Where am I?…(realizing that Sakura is actually awake) Sakura! (he gives her a big hug)

Sakura: OW! (as she slaps him across the face)

Sanosuke: uh, sorry…I'm just glad that you're finally awake

Sakura:…what do you mean, finally? I just took a little nap.

Sanosuke: You were unconscious for two days, you idiot!

Sakura: two…days…Everyone must be so worried.

Sanosuke: (looking down) I let them know you were all right. They even came to visit.

Sakura: (a little apprehensive) uh, Sano? Have you been here long?

Sanosuke: (he feels the redness rushing into his cheeks and turns away) …no…I, uh, just got here [what a lame lie! She's going to see through that one for sure…but how could I tell her that I've been here the whole time?]

Dr. Gensai and Megumi enter

Dr. Gensai: Sakura! It's good to see that you are awake!

Sakura: Hello Dr. Gensai. It's good to see you again. I just wish we could have met under different conditions.

Dr. Gensai: Don't be silly, I'm just glad that you are doing better. Sano, please excuse us, we need to examine her.

Sanosuke: ok (leaves)

Dr Gensai: Megumi, please help me check her bandages.

Dr. Gensai: So how are you feeling?

Sakura: Sore, but good. Good knowing that it's over. I can finally put my past behind me.

Dr. Gensai: Good, well you look like you are doing much better to me. Megumi, why don't you finish up in here. I'll go make everyone some breakfast. (leaves)

Megumi: So Sano tells me you are Kaoru's sister. It's a good thing you fight better than she does, or you might of not made it.

Sakura: How…?

Megumi: I'm a doctor. It's my business to know these things. Anyway, I heard that you saved Sano's neck. Any woman who does that either has to be strong, brave, or stupid.

Sakura: What do you…?

Megumi: Never mind. You know that idiot Sano never left your side. He……..

As Megumi kept talking Sakura's mind began to wander. [He never…he never left me…why? Why did he stay with me? Why did he fight with me? Why was he willing to get hurt on account of me? We just met…Was it just to save Kaoru and Yahiko…? But that doesn't make sense…they could have left during the fight…What is this…? What is this that I'm feeling? I can't believe that he stayed with me…Why? Why would he do that…?]

Megumi: …so what do you think?

Sakura: uh…

Megumi: Well never mind. It sounds like breakfast is ready I'll go bring you a plate.

Sakura: thank you

During breakfast Sano and Dr. Gensai have a serious conversation.

Dr Gensai: Sano I'm going to let Sakura go home today, but she is going to have to stay in bed for a couple of weeks. I'm going to need someone to look after her. That girl is a free spirit you know, and left to her own devices she would probably try to walk home, even as badly hurt as she is. That's why I'm asking you to look after her.

Sanosuke: Me?! Why me?!

Dr. Gensai: Because Sano…you've already assumed that role… The minute you brought her here I could tell that you would do anything for that girl.

Sano sat in silence, cheeks blazing, [Is it that obvious…? What is he talking about? I…I don't even know what it is I'm feeling but he…I just did what anyone else would have done in this situation, right…?]

Dr. Gensai: I'm counting on you Sano

Before he knew it Sano was walking home with Sakura in his arms. Back at the Kamiya dojo everyone was happy to see them. Within the weeks that followed, Sakura, while getting better physically, was getting more and more agitated about not being able to get out of bed. As difficult as the task was becoming, Sano kept his promise to Dr. Gensai and tried to make Sakura follow the doctor's orders. However, one morning when he went to check on her, she was gone. When Sano went outside he could hear someone in the dojo and figured it was her. Sure enough, Sakura was in there practicing.

Sanosuke: Hey! What do think you're doing? You're not even supposed to be walking yet!

Sakura: I'm a martial artist! I can't just lay around all day! I need to do something to keep my strength up. Anyway what do you care…( just then she loses her balance and starts to fall)

Sano catches her.

Sanosuke: I told you to be careful you idiot!

Sakura: Idiot?! Who's an idiot?! I never asked you to look after me alright, so mind your own business!

Sanosuke: I can't do that. Dr. Gensai asked me to watch you, and since I'm just about as stubborn as you I'd say you've met your match.

Sakura is fuming, but says nothing. Sanosuke picks her up and puts her down on the porch outside of the house.

Sanosuke: Let's compromise. I'll sit here with you for a while.

Sakura: (sighs as a sign of defeat) Fine, you win, but you have to tell me something about yourself. It's only fair. I've been here just a short amount of time but you practically know my entire life story.

Sanosuke: (looks away) Sakura, not everyone's past is something they are proud of… However, I do want to tell you about mine before you hear it from someone else. (he looks back at her) Here it goes…

Sano tells Sakura about his history with the Sekihoutai, his life as Zanza, and his fateful encounter with Kenshin that changed his life. He also tells her why he still wears the symbol for "wicked" on his back. How it will always be a reminder of his past.

Sanosuke: (looking away again) So that's basically it.

Sakura takes his left hand in both of hers. Sano blushes as he looks into her face.

Sakura: Sagara Sanosuke, I'm glad I met you. I don't care about your past. Your past made you who you are today, and I'm so happy to have met you. (smiles)

Sano is speechless, his eyes widen. [Those words…they're the same as…I…I wonder…] Then Yahiko comes from out of nowhere.

Yahiko: Ooh! Sano is blushing! Hey Sano how come your face is all red?

Thud!

Sano punches Yahiko and walks away