Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Cross ❯ Silver Cross ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N-Here goes nothing! This is one of my favorite fanfics to write. Treat it nice; it's my baby. I know you'll enjoy it. I don't exactly have a name for this first chapter, so we'll call it something nice and original-like the name of the story. Great, ne? :-)

Disclaimer - I don't own Rurouni Kenshin. I wish I did. *cries softly*

Silver Cross

He'd been watching her for three nights now, the pretty young waitress. He supposed she was around eighteen or nineteen. He knew it was dangerous to linger, the hunters were after him, but this was one of his people's safest cities on the east coast. He ought to be able to avoid the hunters for the longest here. In the meantime, he hadn't seen anyone as fascinating as her in one hundred and thirty years. She'd caught his eye when her shift was over and her boyfriend had come to pick her up, her laugh infectious when he swept her up in an embrace.

He had been instantly jealous. He knew he could have taken her the next night, when she'd gone home alone, but somehow, he didn't want it to be that way. She would either come on her own, or he'd lose his fascination and move on. It didn't usually take long for him to lose his fascination with something or someone. He'd mastered countless languages, intrigued by the people of all the different cultures, but realizing he could never belong to any of them. So he moved on to the next diversion. And she certainly was a pleasing one. She appeared to be second or third generation Japanese-American. She held none of the airs or mannerisms of the Japanese culture, yet she and her boyfriend used some Japanese words in their speech, mostly slang.

He supposed he would've taken her that first night anyway and just disposed of her boyfriend somewhere, if it wasn't for the earrings. She wore tiny silver cross earrings that dangled from her ears, protecting her. She'd worn them since the first night he'd spotted her. He loved them and hated them. Because of them, he couldn't run his finger down her neck, or his tongue, or his teeth.

Half the time he could hear what they were saying with his supernatural senses.

I'm glad you came to pick me up tonight.

I feel really bad about leaving you for a whole month like this, Kao. I wish I didn't have to go and leave you.

Just as long as you call me every couple days. Your family over in Japanis

important. I understand.

It made him sick. He hoped her boyfriend's plane crashed on the way over. He didn't deserve her. No one did.

He came back the next day and sat at a table in the corner. He ordered coffee, placed a magazine on the table, and watched her. He heard her talk to the waitress that had served him.

I don't see your boyfriend tonight, Kao? Where is the cutie?

He's in Japanfor a month.

Aww. If you wanna do anything, I'll be around tomorrow. You'll have a lot of free time now, woncha?

Thanks for rubbing it in. I might take you up on that, but I'm okay.

Hey waitress!

I better get this one. He leaves good tips. Lord knows I need them.

She was a normal human, but still, he could tell there was something different about her. It sat her apart from the other waitresses and most of the customers. Maybe it was the silver cross earrings that told him. She was devout. Religious. He wondered if her faith would be shaken if she found out what he was, that what he was existed. He rather doubted it, but she was only human.

He remembered the last time he'd tried to go into one of her faith's churches. It had been one of the huge cathedrals in some city or another that were open to the people. He'd been curious. He had heard from others of his kind that the Christians were against their kind without even knowing it. Access was not permitted, barriers were up every second of the night and day. He was told to fear the cross. After that, he did. His soul was too filthy to enter that church, he'd stumbled away in shame and defeat, something he didn't often experience. He didn't much like reliving that encounter.

Since then, he sometimes felt like giving up and remaining in the open when the sun rose. He'd almost done it once, but it had burned so severely that he'd had some sense knocked into him. The burn had only taken a good day's rest to heal, but he remembered the lesson. Something in the sun sought him. He knew if the hunter's ever caught him unawares, he'd find out just what that was, slowly and painfully. But for a little while, he thought he'd risk that to watch this achingly young waitress who seemed to fill something inside of him.

July 7, 2003

Monday

Dear Diary,

Well Sou's gone to Japan. My parents will be on their cruise for the next three weeks, so they're gone too. Boy I wish I wasn't an only child. All I do is wake up at noon, hop online for a while and talk to my friends, who are all on vacation while I rot here at home, then surf around the net. By the time I'm done with that it's time for my hour or two of exercise, dinner, and then work. Well technically, I suppose that dinner is actually lunch, but you know how long work is. Did I have to get an evening shift? It was okay when Sou or someone else was around to pick me up, but now that my car's in the shop, I have to walk all the way to the bus stop in the dark. I wish Sou's parents had let me use their car while they were gone, but I didn't really expect them to let me. I wouldn't let me use my car either, if I had a choice about it. So how am I feeling, you ask? Tired. Sundays are my only good days, with church and no work. I'll be happy to go back to college in the fall. No more late nights. Well . . . No more late work nights. Tomorrow I think I'll update on my web page, I haven't done that in a while. Uh oh. I'm going to be late for work if I don't hurry. Tae said she'd pick me up today and I don't want to keep the owner waiting! She's really nice. Oh, mental note to ask one of the girls if I can switch tables with her. There's this really interesting guy that's been coming in the last few days and I'm curious about him. Don't worry, Diary. I still love Sou! Speaking of Sou, he's due to call me tonight after I get back from work. I have no idea what time it'll be in Japanthen, but I don't care. I miss him. Talk to you later, Kaoru

He sat at his normal table and picked up a menu. He was feeling satisfied, having just fed on a regular one of his people had told him about when he'd mentioned he was headed to this area. Human blood was so much better than that of cows or horses or of the other animals he was forced to feed on. But he only allowed himself human blood once in a while. It wouldn't do to turn into the monster some others of his kind were, drinking only the blood of humans. Sometimes, they couldn't stop, and ended up sucking them dry. He'd seen that before. He still held true to his vow not to kill except when left with no other choice. It pained him to see the ecstatic look on the humans faces when he drank anyway. It made him feel guilty. He knew he wouldn't have wanted that if he was human and that they didn't either, even if they were caught up in the moment. His regulars were simply addicted to him. He tried only to see each of them once a year.

"What can I get you this evening, sir?"

It was the pretty waitress he'd been watching. Up close she was a picture of beauty, ebony black hair whisping out of the bun all the waitresses wore. He wondered why she was serving his table tonight, but kept his face impassive.

"Coffee and a blueberry muffin."

"Alright. Decaf or regular?" Kaoru asked, thinking he was a light eater. He was still as mysterious close up as he'd been when she'd first noticed him. She supposed he wasn't the type to strike up a conversation with the restaurant workers like some of the customers.

"Regular."

He watched her move towards the kitchen, the scent of jasmine trailing to his nose in her wake. Her voice. Her human smell. The sight of her close up. He loved it. He'd have to talk to her. He couldn't stand not making some form of communication, even though he couldn't bring anything good into her life.

Humans aren't worth anything to you now, just remember that.

But I was human. Why did you even bother with me? I hate you.

Don't say that. You're just having trouble adjusting.

Adjusting to having to live off of blood to survive! You lied to me. I never want to see you again.

Stop whining about it. You're one of my kind now and there's nothing you can do to change that. I saved you from death because I love you. I thought you loved me too.

Don't touch me. I swear I'll never be like you. I'll never bring anyone else into this misery.

He closed his eyes for a moment in an effort to shut out the memories. When he opened them she was coming back with his coffee. She brought his muffin on a small plate, sat a cup down in front of him, and poured the coffee from a container. He watched as the steam rose up in tendrils, reminding him of smoke from a long ago fire.

"Thank you, Kaoru," he said after a glance at her name tag. She looked surprised that he had said her name, but then her eyes flickered to her employee name tag and back to his.

"You're welcome, sir," she answered. "Anything else you need?" she asked, reflecting that she liked the sound of her name coming from his mouth almost as much as she liked it coming from Sou's or her father's.

"Call me, Ken. And no, there's nothing else."

"Enjoy your meal," Kaoru said before walking to her next table. She watched him add cream and sugar with long fine hands. She wondered what he did for a living with those hands.

July 10, 2003

Thursday

Dear Diary,

Hey. Me again. Work is getting more and more intriguing. Ooh, good vocab word there, girl. Anyway, remember the guy I was curious about there? Well I've been serving him for the past few days. He's very interesting. I even talked to him on my break yesterday. He didn't seem to mind. He seems so young, just a couple years older than me, but so much older. I don't know what to make of him. His name's Ken, that's all I know. I didn't tell Sou about him when he called yesterday. I don't know why, just don't want him to get jealous I guess. Not that Sou's the jealous type! I will tell him about Ken eventually of course. Well I've got a long shift tonight, until two in the morning, eight hours! Pray for me. I'll need plenty of patience, especially with the late crowd. I don't know how some of the others do it every day. I really need the money though. I'll talk to you later and tell you how it went, okay? -Kaoru

He'd come in much later than he had before, but they'd been watching him for an hour now. He supposed they hoped he didn't know they'd traced him to this restaurant in the 'burbs of Philly. He'd picked this table so he could slip out the back door in a moment's notice. They should know he wasn't dumb enough to not have an escape plan by now. He had to give them credit for following him this long though. How long had it been? Two hundred years. The whole clan of them was persistent, he gave them that. He wondered if they knew that he could smell them. They'd had no hope of tracking him until they hired the experienced hunter. A dozen of his kind had been killed by that one. He wasn't about to be lucky number thirteen.

He hoped the girl wasn't working today, or that she wouldn't have time to come over and talk to him. It was a mistake staying in contact with her. He should've moved on when he knew the two hunters were drawing close. He had no wish to connect her with himself in the eyes of the hunters. He didn't want to have to rescue her. He was determined he wouldn't even if she was caught. Her faith would save her. He'd been alone too long to start caring about someone else now, especially one who wasn't of his kind.

Faith won't save her from them, not forever.

His conscience whispered to him. He ignored it. His only priority was survival. But he supposed that if they came after him in front of her, he my as well tell her a place to meet him if they interrogated her. She would have questions. If she did show up at the spot and wasn't tailed, he wouldn't bother letting her know he was there because it would be better the less she knew. He watched her under his bangs, serving a section across the restaurant from him. He was weak and hungry. He'd have to feed soon. No problem, once he ditched the hunters. He could find a farm or something.

At one o'clock, he watched as she walked over to him. She hadn't been in the main room for the last ten minutes, so he assumed she was on break. He saw her smile at him and he nodded to the chair in front of him. It was too late to chase her off now. They'd seen.

"Hi, I hope you don't mind me stopping to chat for a minute," she began, sitting down. Then she got a good look at his face. His amber eyes were cold and dull and it seemed as if all the life and been leeched out of his gaze. "Are you okay? You look really pale."

"I'm fine," he said, wondering how she'd noticed in the dim lighting. He was impressed. Most humans never noticed a significant change in his coloring, but then he didn't usually hang around the same place for very long. He hadn't been in this area for at least ten years. It hadn't changed much.

"If you say so," she said dubiously.

"I'm leaving tonight," he told her, sipping the coffee that tasted worse and worse the longer he went without blood. He watched her eyes to see the reaction he knew would be displayed there. She looked disappointed. Part of him was pleased that someone human could care after all these years. Another part of him resented her for making him care about disappointing her.

"Oh," she said, subdued. "If you ever drop by here again, look me up. I always work here in the summer," she finished lightly, but her eyes were troubled.

He didn't answer, but looked past her at the two hunters that had stood from their table. He didn't think they'd risk a scene in the crowded restaurant, but he had to leave. Now. He focused back on her eyes with difficulty. He wondered if he'd ever look into them again. He couldn't come back here for at least another ten years, when no one would be around that might remember him and notice his lack of aging. He certainly would be sure to never let her see him again.

He slipped the paper out of his pocket and handed it to her across the table, careful to keep the action from the hunters' eyes. "Slip it in your pocket. Read it only if you need help. Don't bother to if you don't," he instructed mustering his strength and standing. "Sayonara," he turned and let himself disappear down the bathroom hallway and into the shadows of the night.

Slipping the paper in her apron pocket, she watched him leave. She realized that she'd never seen him standing before. He was only a few inches taller than her, thin, and his hair was just as long as hers, drawn into a careless ponytail at the back of his neck. Something about the way he moved was furtive, predatory. He was as quick and graceful as Sou, more so if that was possible. She wondered why he thought she might need help, when two men rushed up to her. One simply hurried past and ran down the hallway where Ken had disappeared to, but the other sat down in the chair Ken had so recently vacated.

Silently, he took her in. "So you're not one of them."

Kaoru looked at him, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Come with me please," he ordered, standing.

"No. I have to get back to work now," Kaoru told him, standing as well.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Please come with me," he said again.

Kaoru bristled. She did not like this man who acted so superior, and she couldn't see his eyes, hidden behind dark shades, to read his expressions. Without a word, she turned her back on him and marched to the kitchen, head held high. Her heart was racing. She wondered if he had anything to do with Ken. If he did, she certainly wasn't going to tell him anything. She thought she'd glimpsed a gun underneath his overcoat when he'd stood.

She was dismayed when she came out of the kitchen and Tae motioned her over to an area where there were no customers. The two men were talking to her. All three looked serious.

"Kao, these men are from a detective agency and they have some questions for you about the man you were talking to yesterday." Tae told her as she drew level with them.

"I'm not talking to them, Tae," Kaoru said angrily.

Tae drew her away from the men. "Kao, they said they could file charges to the local police station if you didn't co-operate. Please just talk to them. They said that guy was no good. You could help arrest him."

"I don't believe it," Kaoru said stubbornly. "I don't like the look of them, Tae. You know I'm a good judge of character. We called the cops that last time a guy came in I didn't like the look of and they got here just as he was pulling a gun out on Chihiro."

"But, Kao, they've been tracking him all the way from Europe. He's wanted in France."

"They don't seem very French to me."

"Listen, I'll let them have the back office and I want you to go back there and talk to them and tell them everything you know about that man who was here."

"But Tae-"

"I want you to do this, Kao. Now tell them you'll talk to them and be civil or you're fired."

Kaoru sighed, but knew when she was defeated. "I will, Tae."

Why are you here?

My name's Sano. I was turned a couple nights ago. Listen, do you know a place I could stay? My parents kicked me out when I told them.

How did you find me?

I've seen you at the tavern the past few nights. I followed you from there. I don't have anywhere safe to go.

Fine, kid. I'll show you around for a few nights, but after that you're on your own.

Thanks, but I'm not a kid. You don't look much older than me.

I'm ninety-nine.

Oh.

But you're right, you're not a kid. Not anymore.

"Miss Kamiya, you're not being very cooperative and I'm sick and tired of your attitude," the white haired man said in a cold tone.

"I told you everything I know. It's not like we talked more than that one time," Kaoru said defensively.

"You don't know what he is," the other started, jumping up from his chair and walking towards Kaoru.

"What is he then?" Kaoru broke in, annoyed.

"He's a monster. My family has vowed revenge on him for two hundred years," he finished.

Kaoru scoffed, glaring up at him. "How dumb do you think I am? He looks like he can't be more than twenty-three."

The white haired man glared at the other one, who moved away and sat down again. "Forgive Jineh for telling you that before I wanted you to know. He's emotionally involved," he said smoothly, refocusing on Kaoru.

She said nothing, turning her glare on him as he walked to her and sat down, pulling the chair over so that he sat directly in front of her.

"That man is a vampire and we are hunting it."

"There's no such things as vampires," Kaoru scoffed again, not liking they way he referred to Ken as 'it'.

"Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but there are. He is one, and this man," he waved a hand idly in the other's direction, "and his family have hired me to hunt him down. He has eluded them for two hundred years."

"Yeah right. If that's true, they must enjoy the chase. Why would they hire you?"

"There has not been a hunter in history who has killed as many vampires as I have. All of his kind stand ready to kill me if I do not watch for them carefully. He is well known in his people's circles. I will not stop until I find him."

Kaoru leaned close towards him. "You must think I'm a little girl, telling me scary stories so I'll cry and break down. There are no vampires. I don't know why you two really want to find him, but I have no information to give to you."

"The only reason you were protected was because of your earrings. That's how I knew you weren't one of them," the man continued as if Kaoru hadn't said anything.

"What are you talking about?" Kaoru asked warily, leaning back and almost unconsciously fingering a silver cross earring with her fingers. They dangled from their French hooks.

"Vampires are enemies of the light. Silver burns them, crosses do too. If one touched a cross, the cross would start burning into its flesh. I was far away from him tonight, but it looked like he needed to feed. The cross saved you."

"I know the stories about vampires. I still don't believe they exist. You haven't proved anything to me."

The white haired man slipped his hand in his coat pocket and for a second Kaoru was afraid he was going to pull out the gun she'd seen, but he didn't. Instead he held something small in his fist, which he extended to her.

Kaoru just looked at him warily.

"Open your hand," he commanded.

She did. It was white and hard and slightly warm from his hand. Kaoru brought it close for inspection. It was a long canine tooth.

"It's from one of the vampires I killed."

She examined it closely. She was no dentist. It could be a dog tooth for all she knew. It was certainly dangerous looking, an inch long, curved and unusually sharp. Looking up at him, she shrugged. "I don't know for sure that it's human."

"They're not human. Not anymore." He held out his hand and she dropped it in his palm. He slipped it back in his pocket and stood.

"Miss Kamiya, you are free to go. Myself and my partner may be dropping in on you however, if we feel you may have some more information. We appreciate this interview."

Kaoru stood. "You're welcome."

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else what we spoke of," he said mildly, pulling back his overcoat and exposing the gun for a second.

Kaoru narrowed her eyes. "I get the picture. Goodbye gentlemen." She swept out of the room.

Why have you been watching her?

I knew her before I was turned, that's all. I think I would've married her.

You're thinking of turning her.

No! . . . Well maybe.

Do you think she'd want that?

Are you kidding? I hate living like this. She'd hate it even more, not being able to help people. . . She's a doctor. Her whole family is. It's just so lonely though. You know what I mean, don't you?

A woman turned me. I didn't know what she was. I'll never forgive her. If she loved me, she would've let me die.

I don't want Megumi to hate me. I just wish this had never happened.

It's a lonely life, Sano. I'm leaving tomorrow. I have hunters after me. You can make it on your own now.

Let me come with you. Then I can get my mind off Megumi.

I won't be coming back this way for years.

I need to leave before I do something I regret. I don't want her to live like this.

Fine. We leave early tomorrow night then. You'd better say goodbye.

I will.

She didn't know why she'd come. She's almost forgotten about the paper she'd stuffed in her apron. 'If you're reading this, you know. Take off work for the next few nights and come to 88 Lyndon Drive, apartment 7B. -Ken' She didn't know why she'd taken off work as he'd requested and taken the bus down here at one o'clock in the morning, but she figured she'd regret it for the rest of her life if she didn't. She did know that she wanted answers and that 88 Lyndon Drive was an old abandoned wreck of an apartment building. Walking up the steps and trying the door, she wasn't surprised to find that it was unlocked. Taking a deep breath, she swung it out toward her and stepped into the dark.

He waited until she'd gone in to sense the dark night behind her. The hunters had followed her. He smelled kerosene. So, they intended to burn the place down to the ground and find him that way? Well they'd get a real surprise. He still had those fireworks from the Fourth of July.

Kaoru was glad she'd brought nothing but her wallet tucked into her back pants pocket as she searched through the apartment. She could use both her hands to navigate through the dark rooms, calling softly for Ken. There was no one in apartment 7B. Kaoru was disappointed. She had thought for sure he would be there. Not that she'd made a very thorough search. It was pitch black, the windows were boarded up, and she couldn't see a thing. She'd felt her way around. But it didn't matter much. He wasn't there. Boy would she have a story to tell Sou on the phone when he called the next day. She would call in when she got home and tell Tae she could work tomorrow after all.

The full moon was in three days, so dim light shone in from the hallway. The figure of a man stepped into the doorway. Kaoru squinted. "Ken?"

"Yes. Come into the hallway. We haven't got much time."

"Ken! They said you were a vampire!" Kaoru laughed, walking towards him and deciding to ignore the uneasy feeling she was getting.

He grabbed her wrist. His hand was cold, as if he'd just come in from a snowball fight and hadn't had any gloves on, but dry and smooth. "I am."

She jerked her arm away. "What? It can't be true!"

He opened his mouth and she saw the fangs descend from his canine teeth. They gleamed dully in the moonlight.

She recoiled from him, backing away into the wall.

It was heartbreaking to see the fear in those beautiful eyes. He'd known it would come to this if she came. Feeling foolish, he closed his mouth and let the fangs withdraw. He was surprised when she spoke.

"Why?"

He didn't know what she was talking about. Did she mean why was he a vampire or why had he involved her in all this?

"Why what?" he asked, not moving.

The fear seemed to be leaving her eyes. "Why haven't we got much time?" she asked, taking a step toward him and away from the wall.

Surprised, he couldn't help but smirk. "What makes you think you can trust me now that you know what I am?"

"I never trusted you before, just liked you. But I figure if you haven't done anything to me by now, you're not going to. Plus I don't like those hunters, even if they did turn out to be right about you."

"Right about me?" Ken asked, bemused. She had much more spunk than he'd attributed her. Maybe she was worth the trouble of keeping her around. The hunters were likely to make a visit to her house next. She shouldn't be there when they did.

"You are a vampire, but I don't think you're as bad as they say. So why haven't we got much time?"

"The two hunters followed you here. They're going to burn the apartment building down. They're pouring gasoline around the outside right now. We can get out through the basement. It connects to the building next to this one," he explained. "My car is down the block."

Kaoru was alarmed, but curious. "Vampires have cars?"

"Yes." He held out his hand. She talked like she didn't fear him and the look was gone from her eyes, but he wasn't sure if she would take it. She did. He could feel the warmth of being human that flowed through her hand and for a moment he was fiercely jealous. But it passed as it had many times before and he closed his fingers over her hand so that he held it in a firm grasp. He found himself feeling pleased when she grasped his hand as well. She was giving him the strength to operate through the haze caused by his need for blood, but his hunger was frustrating. He needed to feed before the night was over or he'd be too weak when the sun set the next day to find a meal on his own, much less elude the hunters.

"Don't let go," he instructed. "When we get outside, I'm going to run so they don't see us. Just try to keep up."

Kaoru took a deep breath and nodded. He led her down the hallway at a fast walk, deeper into the building, and stopped at the end. The door was gone and a stairway went down into pitch blackness.

"Stay close so you don't bump into anything," he instructed. "I memorized the layout." He started down the stairs, pleased that she did as he asked. He smelled smoke already.

It was pitch black in the basement. Kaoru was glad that Ken seemed to be on her side. She racked her mind for everything she knew about vampires. You couldn't see their reflection. They didn't like garlic. They couldn't go in the sun. They sucked your blood from your neck. Did they turn into bats too? And what happened during the full moon? Wait, that was werewolves.

She tripped and felt Ken support her so she didn't fall. He didn't much seem like a vampire. Where was his black cape and his Transylvanian accent? Kaoru felt an insane urge to giggle. She told herself she would be okay. He'd drive her back to her house and she'd go to sleep for a long long time. When she woke up Sou would call and she'd tell him the crazy story and they'd laugh over it. Sou laughed a lot. That was one of the things she liked the most about him. He was almost always happy, not like this stranger. What had drawn her to him in the first place? Why couldn't she just leave well enough alone and stick to serving the tables she was assigned to? And damn, scratch that, darn, her curiosity.

She heard him kick open a door before he pulled her forward once again.

"We're in the passage between the two buildings. They were owned by the same man and built with exactly the same layout. Keep close," he told her quietly. He wouldn't put it past one of the hunters to have sneaked over here and be lying in wait at the top of the stairway or the end of the passage. He didn't sense anyone ahead in the passageway, but he was still relieved when they emerged into the other basement and he sensed no one there. With Kaoru along, he would've had to flee back the way they'd come and take his chances in the fire if the hunters had thought to check the other apartment building. He led her through this basement, picking his way carefully around the looming shapes in the dark. He knew she was totally blind. When they reached the foot of the stairs, he decided he needed to be sure no one was waiting at the top. They would be totally vulnerable.

"Stay here. I'm going to make sure there's no one at the top," he instructed, letting go of her hand. She didn't let go.

"Don't leave me," she said fiercely, grasping his cold hand.

"I'll be right back," he assured her.

She let go. Ken had talked like there were stairs or something, but she couldn't see a thing. She didn't hear a sound, didn't hear him moving anywhere. What if he had left her? She'd just wander around the basement forever in the pitch black darkness until she hit her head on something and got a concussion. Suddenly, she heard the squeak of hinges somewhere far away above her and then she could see murky shapes. Ken must have opened the door at the top of the stairs, which she still couldn't see.

A cold hand grabbed hers and she started.

"It's me." His voice came as he pulled and led her towards the stairs. She was surprised at how relieved she'd been to hear his voice and feel his chill hand in hers again. It was almost as familiar as her own, having led her this far.

"Up the stairs now. . . . . Last step."

"Where are they?" she whispered.

"I saw both of them trying to get the other apartment building burning better with more gasoline."

Kaoru wondered how he'd had time to spy on the hunters in maybe twenty seconds. He must be fast, inhumanly fast. She followed his lead down the inky hallway and out into the night. The sky had clouded over since she'd been inside.

"I'm going to run now." He told her a split second before he started.

The world passed by in a blur and Kaoru knew this was faster than any human could run. So vampires had God-like speed. She filed the information away in the back of her mind. For now, she actually found herself enjoying the experience. She knew if he let go now, she would fly forward and land with her face in the dirt and probably a few loose teeth. It was a still night, but at this speed, she felt wind flitting across her face and whipping her clothes. She saw a pathfinder parked up ahead and they stopped. As she'd predicted, she went flying forward, but Ken had hooked an arm around her waist and she stopped short of falling abruptly.

"This is the car." He released her and pulled a set of keys from his jeans pocket. He slipped the key in the passenger door, which they were standing beside, and opened it for her.

"Get in. I don't want anyone seeing the overhead light."

Kaoru climbed up and he shut the door quietly and walked around the front of the car to the driver's side as she watched. He opened his door and shut it soundlessly.

"You're taking me back to my house now, right? I'll give you the directions." Kaoru stated. It had been an adventure, but she was tired.

He buckled his seat belt and started the engine. Thankfully, he'd had the foresight to park the car pointing away from the apartments.

Kaoru followed his lead and buckled her belt. She wondered why he hadn't answered and wasn't looking at her.

"No. The hunters will go there next. You'll have to stay with me for a while." He said, still not looking at her and pulling onto the road. He mentally reviewed his list of contacts with in a few hours drive whom he could trust enough to leave Kaoru with while he went to feed.

Kaoru was disappointed, but she could see his point. "They can't possibly be there yet. I could at least pick up my purse and some clothes," she argued. "And I don't have to stay with you. I'll stay over at Tae's or one of the other waitresses' houses." She twisted around in her seat to see if the apartment building really was burning. While she couldn't see the building, she could see a flickering orange glow that lightened the sky in the fast growing distance between them and the building. Ken was a fast driver.

"Did they talk to you at the restaurant?" he asked, snapping her out of her fascinated gazing behind them.

She twisted back around and watched him warily. "Yes."

"Then they'll question the people who work there first. I don't know what they'll do if they find you. I can't let you go. You're a liability. I doubt we have time to go to your house. I'll buy you some clothes tomorrow night." He'd decided that the big city would be the best. The hunters would be out of their hair for a while and there were plenty of vampires with connections who owed him. He could call in a few favors.

"What! Where do you think you're taking me?"

"We're going to stay with someone who owes me. It's safe there. It's a three hour drive. Settle in."

"You can't do this! They'll be worried about me. I can't just leave. I don't even know you! How do I know you won't get hungry and decide I'm a nice snack?"

Ken almost winced. Her blood would be just the thing he needed to get them safely to the city, just a small pick me up. He was almost drained of energy and weakening by the second, but she would be extremely hard to deal with forever after if, by some miracle, he was able to. "I told you to take off work. Your boyfriend is in Japan. Why would he be the one to pick you up before he left if your parents were home? They would let you have the car. Who is there to miss you?"

Kaoru realized with a jolt that he was right. Sure Sou had said he'd call every few days and her parents did too, but if they didn't connect, they would simply assume she was out. And even if they did get worried and called Tae at the Akabeko she would just tell them that she'd taken a few days off. No one would be the wiser. Ken had set her up without her realizing it. But how had he known? "How did you know Sou went to Japan?" she demanded.

"I heard him mention it to you. My people have more sensitive hearing than humans."

"That was a private conversation!" she fumed, but realized that she couldn't know for sure that he'd listened in on purpose. She settled for a sullen complaint, crossing her arms in front of her. "I still don't know if I'll find myself your snack."

"I am hungry, but I promise I won't let that happen." Ken regretted his promise the instant he'd made it, but he knew it was better if he kept her happy. And he did have just enough energy to make it to Aoshi's then go hunting.

Kaoru shivered. "I don't like this and I'm still angry that you listened in and you better not let me be anyone's snack."

He said nothing.

Why are we taking the train? Those things are evil.

It's called technology. You better get used to it, you're going to be in this world for a while.

I've heard that trains suck your soul out and that's how they run.

Don't believe everything you hear.

I still have a soul, right?

I'm not sure. I've heard it said that we lost ours, but no one really knows. I'm not too optimistic.

Oh . . . we may as well take the train then.

The parking garage was empty at this hour of the morning, so he watched the regular rise and fall of her chest as she breathed in her sleep. He was tempted, so tempted by her. The hunger was getting to him. He had to get her inside and safe so he could go hunt before the sun rose in two hours. If he didn't feed tonight he'd be too weak to help her when the sun set. He wanted to trace the side of her face with his finger, just once, but the silver cross earrings glinted menacingly at him in the dim light. He shook her by her shoulder instead.

She mumbled something intelligible and slowly opened her eyes. She smiled at him, even though she felt sticky and sweaty from sleeping in the cramped car for a few hours. He wasn't that bad a face to wake up to. Then she remembered she was angry with him and scowled, sitting up in a hurry. "Where are we?" she asked, looking out the windshield and her passenger side window. She blinked the grogginess from her eyes and shook her head to clear out the cobwebs.

"New York City, the best place on the east coast to stay anonymous. One of my people lives here. He owes me. He'll take us in for a night or two. Get out of the car."

Kaoru yawned, unstrapped herself, and did as he'd requested, walking around to the other side to meet him as he stepped out of the car. She wondered why they'd come to New York. Couldn't they have hidden well enough in Philadelphia? But Ken didn't look like he was in a mood to be questioned, so she decided to hold her questions for the time being. He had saved her from the burning building. No doubt it wouldn't have ended well at all if it wasn't for him. She had no choice but to go along with whatever he told her for the time being.

"Let's go." He led the way towards the apartment entrance. Kaoru followed a few steps behind him. She watched, surprised, when he pulled out a cell phone from his pocket and dialed a number. Since when did vampires get cell phones? She wondered what his minute plan was and how he got the money to pay for it.

"Aoshi . . . I need a place to stay. I'm calling in the favor you owe me . . .You're right, you do owe me more. I've got a human with me . . . She's not a present for you . . . Yes. . . It's good they're gone then. What about your wife? . . . You'll have time to break it to her then. . . See you in a minute." He pocketed the phone and held open the door for her. "The elevator," he instructed her. The doorman merely nodded once in Ken's direction. Ken didn't bother to acknowledge him.

Kaoru pressed the up button. What had that last part been about her being a present for this Aoshi character? She hadn't much liked the sound of that. The elevator came and she walked in. Ken pressed the button for the top floor. She was getting more uneasy by the second. She inched over to him and took his hand. It was still cool to the touch. He didn't seem to mind the way she was acting like a scared six year old clinging to her mother. He even gave her hand a light squeeze.

The elevator doors opened on an alcove with one door. Ken stepped out, and Kaoru moved with him. The doors slid shut behind them. Ken knocked on the door. Kaoru was glad he didn't let go of her hand, especially when the door was opened by a tall intimidating vampire, with jet black hair, icy blue eyes, and a chill about him. He looked at her like she was a meal, then hid the look behind a cool facade. He pointedly looked at their joined hands, then spoke to Ken.

"It's been a long time. Here's a key to the apartment so you can get back in. I'll lead the girl to a room where she can sleep."

Kaoru would normally have protested that she was being spoken of as if she wasn't there, but there was something about this vampire that kept her silent. She watched as he handed Kenshin a key.

"Thanks, Aoshi." He turned to Kaoru. "Stay here." He let go of her hand.

She did not let go of his. "But Ken-"

"You'll be safe. I'll be back in a couple hours. Follow Aoshi."

She sighed and let go of his hand. "I'm still mad at you and I want to know what's going on."

"I'll tell you tomorrow night." He said, turning away and pressing the elevator button. Kaoru turned and watched as it slid open and he stepped in. The doors shut. He was gone. She turned to the man he'd called Aoshi, expecting to encounter his icy stare, but his back was towards her.

"Follow me and shut the door." He commanded.

Kaoru shut the door and followed him into a spacious apartment, that she knew must take up the whole top floor. He led her down a hallway and into a bedroom.

"You can sleep here." He said, then walked away back down the hallway.

Kaoru didn't think she could sleep after all that had happened. She was rested from the car ride. But the bed was big and it looked comfortable, so she decided to take of her shoes and stretch out. Sleep took her before she knew what hit her.

Have you ever been caught in the sun?

Yes.

Why?

When I was first turned I couldn't believe it was true. I stayed in the sun to prove to myself it wasn't. It burned.

I did something like that when I was first turned too.

Oh yeah. What?

I tried to eat garlic.

That was dumb.

Yeah.

Kaoru started awake. She heard someone breathing shallowly next to her. She scooted to the other side of the bed and turned on the lamp. It was a teenage girl. Correction, a teenage girl vampire. Her fangs were down. Hunger filled her eyes. Kaoru wanted to scream for Ken, but like in a nightmare, she couldn't say anything. Her eyes were locked on the girl's.

"Just a sip." The girl whispered, reaching a hand forward wistfully. She reached the side of the bed and climbed up on it. "Just one drink." Her focus was now on Kaoru's neck, but Kaoru still couldn't scream. She watched in horror as the girl softly trailed a finger down her neck.

The girl didn't notice the cross earrings until one brushed her finger, so focused was she on her need for blood. Kaoru heard a sizzling noise. The girl's finger was burning where the cross had brushed her. Kaoru felt her mind slip out of the trance as the girl jerked herself away with a frightened gasp. They screamed simultaneously. Kaoru grabbed the nearest weapon, which turned out to be the bedside clock, and ran to the far corner. She curled up on the floor in a protective ball, pressing herself into the corner, as far away from the girl as she could get. The girl was still screaming. Aoshi burst into the room, turning on the lights. As soon as the girl saw him, she flew to him and buried herself in his arms.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't resist. I didn't even see the silver cross earrings!" she wailed. "Forgive me, Aoshi!"

Aoshi gave Kaoru the coldest look imaginable and swept out of the room with the girl, shutting the door softly behind them. The girl's wails receded down the hallway. Kaoru knew she had not made any friends there. She thanked the Lord that her mother had bought her the earrings for her birthday. She wondered if she'd ever sleep again.

Don't drink too much from humans.

Why? I thought that's what your kind is supposed to do.

Our kind. And no, don't. If you do, you'll go crazy with bloodlust. I'll be forced to kill you.

Kill me? I'm already dead.

There are ways. You know the traditional ones. Just limit yourself to once a month and drop the attitude.

What am I supposed to eat then?

Animals. We can't risk exposure, or the humans will catch onto us.

Alexandra opened the door and immediately latched onto him. "Ken! You haven't been here in forever. Jeez, you're real pale. How long have you gone without blood?" she asked worriedly. "You'll still have control, won't you?"

Alexandra Taylor was reassuringly human, one of the contacts he could depend on. She was hooked to the experience of a vampire's 'kiss' as she preferred to call it. Ken had come to her because it was easier to use a human than find some animal in the city. He wasn't partial to rat blood. Plus it was frustrating sitting next to Kaoru for hours and not being able to nourish himself with her blood. Even though he'd fed on human blood last, he needed more to resist the temptation she was and keep his promise to her. There wasn't much risk of him flipping out and drinking Alex dry anyway. He had more self control than that.

He returned her embrace and buried his face in her short, soft hair, breathing her light human scent up his nostrils. "I'm fine Alex, just thirsty," he murmured into her hair. "Are you going to let me in or what?"

She pulled back a little and smiled up at him. "Of course I am, as long as you promise to make it fun. Are you spending the rest of the night too? I have a room for you to sleep in where the daylight won't seep in."

"No. I have to get back in an hour or two," he told her.

"Oh. Well that's fine then." She agreed, looking only a little disappointed and grabbing both his hands to lead him in. She reached past him to shut the door and he was in her apartment again. It hadn't changed much, still earth toned walls, furniture. It looked like she'd been going over some paperwork at the table.

"I'm fresh. I haven't seen anyone for about a month now," she continued. "I'll only charge you one hundred because you're my favorite customer. Why don't you hang around Manhattanmore often?" she pouted, watching as he dug a couple fifties from his wallet.

"You know the city bores me," he replied, handing her the bills.

"Well I don't see how it can. You just have a short attention span," she argued, taking the bills and slipping them into her purse that lay on the counter.

"What can I say? I've been around too long." He shrugged, eyeing her neck.

She laughed, noticing the direction of his gaze and grabbed his hands once more, leading him to the bedroom. "Well let's work on spicing it up a little bit," she said suggestively, dropping a heated kiss on his lips once they'd reached the bedroom. It was an unspoken agreement between vampire and victim that sex and blood went together. Neither minded. Ken returned the kiss and let his hands travel over her warm body, unzipping zippers and pulling off clothes, letting her do the same to him. He didn't think of Kaoru.

A/N- Well what do you think? I had a lot of fun writing this. I want to know if you had as much fun reading it! This is my first Kenshin fic, so I'm wondering how it'll go over. Great, I hope. Please drop me some reviews so I can get a general feeling of your reactions. Thanks so much and press that button!