Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Cross ❯ Party in Da Club ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N - Sorry I haven't updated for a week guys. College is a real bummer. Well the social stuff is fun, but the studying sucks. And my computer caught a virus from the oh-so-safe college internet network. The inhumanity! So once I got THAT straightened out I looked over at the calendar and realized that it'll be a week since I updated. Sorry! Oh, and another author by the name of 'The Raven Dark Angel' discovered this story and was inspired to start a Rurouni Kenshin fanfic of her own. I was very touched. *sniff *sniff Without further ado, here's the latest chapter!

Disclaimer - I don't own Rurouni Kenshin, or any of those alcohol brands I mentioned.

Silver Cross

Chapter 3 - Party in the Club

I met another vampire today.

Why are you telling me this?

What he said was pretty interesting. He's in a group called the Sekihoutai.

I've heard of them. Why do you expect me to care?

I'm sick and tired of just floating around like this. I'm going to join.

What?

You'll be okay without me. You didn't want me around in the first place. I'll be protecting people this way.

Sano -

I don't want to change the way you live. You helped me through Megumi and that means a lot to me. We're buds, but I need a purpose.

"Ken, I know you're not taking me to this club just for the fun of it. If there's going to be running then why do I have to come along?" Kaoru asked in the car.

"I don't have anywhere else to put you," Ken lied. He needed her to be the bait, but how could he tell her that? She would certainly refuse to go along with the plan and his cover would be blown.

"That's a load of bull! You left me at Aoshi and Misao's place and didn't have any qualms. You left me with Kamatari! I would be perfectly happy staying with one of them."

"Kamatari's at work. Who knows where Aoshi and Misao are this time of night? It's early. Besides, it'll be less suspicious if a couple shows up than one man."

"What are you after?" Kaoru asked shrewdly. Before she knew it, Ken would have her mixed up in some weird vampire war or something. She certainly didn't want that. What if they came after her one night after Ken had taken her back home and left again?

Ken sighed. "Just information."

"I think you're using me as bait or something. This is a vampire club isn't it? Am I going to be the only human there or am I supposed to pose as one of your contacts?" she demanded.

Ken was surprised she knew what a contact was. Kamatari the cross-dressing blabbermouth had probably told her. The guy was a sucker for attractive humans, rather they be male or female; and she was beautiful. But Kamatari sure knew how to dress her. He doubted any male would be able to resist her for long, and for vampires the fact that she was human merely added to her appeal. Her hair was out of the messy bun he'd always seen her wearing and it cascaded down her back like a waterfall. He knew that if he reached just beyond it, there would be her smooth warm neck. . . The high collar, skin tight dress was doing wonders for her appearance too. The material was red with a black sheen just under the surface. The dress was beautiful and she was the just the person to wear it. Kamatari had spritzed just enough jasmine scent on her so that it appeared she was older and more sophisticated than her years. He didn't think either of them would have trouble with the age issue when it came to getting into the club.

"Ken, you're not answering me," she prompted in a testy tone.

"Fine. I'm using you as bait, but I'll be right there the whole time. Just cooperate."

"Only if you tell me what this is all about SOON. I deserve to know what you're getting me into, Ken. If you don't tell me I'll be gone. I can get away from you in the day and you know it."

Ken sighed again. "Fine. Tomorrow night we'll have some spare time and I'll tell you everything then."

"Promise?"

"I promise. Why's everything a promise with you?"

"Get over it. I hate wearing this dress, and I could kill myself on these heels! This is a nice matching purse and all, but what if I lose it in the club? Ah! This dress is way too short," she fussed.

Ken rolled his eyes and pulled into a space a couple blocks away from the club. He'd passed it three times, checking the place out and Kaoru hadn't even noticed. He hoped she'd be more observant when they actually got in the place. He couldn't keep an eye on her every second. She needed to be able to take care of herself.

"Oh, we're here? Yich, the docks. Where is the club anyway? I hope it doesn't smell like fish," she continued fussing.

Ken sighed, shutting off the car, pocketing the keys, and walking around to the other side to let her out. He opened the door and reached a hand up. She was unbuckling her seatbelt, checking her face in the rearview mirror. Ken wondered how it would have been if they were just a normal couple heading out for a night in the city. He watched silently as she finally turned to him, accepted his hand, and stepped down from the pathfinder. He felt horrible for putting her in this danger, but that didn't change is actions. He felt even worse for not taking her back to the Shinomoris and just risking it on his own. But he was determined to go through with what he'd started. Now was not the time to back down. He wondered why he couldn't bring himself to say her name since that first time in the restaurant.

Kaoru felt revealed and phony in the dress and heels that brought her to just under Ken's height. Since her hair was down, it clung to her neck, making her feel hot already. She was distracted as he shut the door behind her and beeped the car alarm on. Just what types of vampires hung out in clubs anyway. She supposed the ones she'd met weren't all that bad, but if there were horrible humans, then surely there had to be equally as bad vampires. And what if she ran into a vampire that had gone crazy on human blood and he decided to suck her dry? But Ken was here, she told herself. And he had promised that she wouldn't be a meal for anyone. And hopefully the word of this particular vampire was good.

But still, what if she was attacked in the bathroom? Kaoru scoffed, she could at least defend herself until help came. But what if a vampire caught her in one of those stares like Misao had? She rummaged around in her new purse and found the cool shades Kamatari had insisted she bring because they matched her whole outfit and gave her an older, cool air. She was relieved to feel Ken slip an arm around her waist and start walking, but upset, remembering what Kamatari had said about what vampires did with their contacts. As if noticing something was up, he looked down at her.

"What's with the shades? It's night."

"I don't want to get caught in anyone's mesmerizing stare thing." She shuddered.

"Well at least wait until we're inside to put them on."

"Why?"

"I can't see your eyes," he said simply, reaching over with his free hand and plucking them off her face.

Kaoru thought that was a sweet thing for anyone to say and didn't protest. He slipped them into his dress pants' pocket and pulled out a cell phone.

"I'll give them back to you once we're inside. I think that'll make a good impression on the customers. Here's a cell phone I bought for you incase we get separated. My number's keyed in already." He showed her how to work the phone, then handed it to her.

Kaoru studied the phone, a Motorola, higher quality than the one she had at home. She slipped it into her purse. "Thanks,"

"Now we're supposed to be a couple." He took her arm and pulled it around his waist. "Let's pull this off. Lean into me as we walk," he instructed, drawing her close to him. It was exhilarating being this close to her with a valid excuse. He could enjoy the benefits and not take any grief for it later. He was pleased that she acquiesced and they walked the two blocks to the club doors without incident. Strains of music with a heavy beat drifted out.

The bouncer at the door was a big man, clothed in black. Leather pants and a black wife beater. He didn't look like he was having the greatest night and looked at the couple with interest and malice barley concealed in his expression. His voice was hard as steel shards.

"I let you in, I get dibs on your girl," he said flatly.

"Get out of my face, asshole. She doesn't want you," Ken spat out in disgust.

"Who are you to tell me that, wimp? She's the first contact to come by that's not with the dark one's men. I'm just calling her before anyone else does. I don't think there's much you can do about it."

Ken smirked. "You must be pretty desperate. I know the others in there have their own contacts. They won't mess with me, and you better not either. This one's mine."

Kaoru was fuming. She didn't like being spoken about as if she was some object, and Ken had the nerve to call her his contact. Like she'd ever go to bed with him! Sure he was sexy and all, but he was way too cold and heartless and domineering and bossy and he was probably sexist and he'd slept with countless other women! He'd probably lost track long ago. And she didn't even know how old he was. Sure he looked 'twenty-two'ish, but who knew how long he'd been a vampire? But better he act possessive than let the sinewy bouncer take her and do who knows what. She shuddered and leaned closer into Ken.

"I don't see your name written on her."

Ken gently tilted Kaoru's face towards his, so that her profile faced the bouncer. He gently pushed her hair back with a finger, careful to avoid the cross earrings. Kaoru wondered what he was doing, leaving her neck exposed like that.

"F**k. What's with the cross?" The bouncer swore again.

Ken smirked and brushed his lips across Kaoru's forehead just to spite the man. He looked on enviously. Kaoru didn't really mind. She closed her eyes and smiled. While the whole club scene was probably not going to be an enjoyable experience, the moment was. She decided that she could deal with playing Ken's servant if it was going to make this vampire unhappy. She was pleased when the man swore again. Ah, revenge was sweet.

Taking his time, Ken reached into his left pocket and pulled out two cards. "These should get us in anyway." He casually tossed them to the man.

The man scoffed. "Yeah. They do. Had fun making a fool of me, didn't you?" He glared, tossing the cards back to Ken.

He dropped them back into his pocket. "Yeah."

The bouncer stood aside . Ken repositioned his arm around Kaoru's waist and they walked past him and into the foyer.

Ken heard him cursing under his breath. He knew the cards Katsu had given him must have had some pretty powerful influence attached to them or the man wouldn't have backed down so easily. It was a shame. He would've liked to have some fun. But it probably wouldn't have been the best way to start an undercover operation.

There was noone in the foyer at the moment.

"I don't like being treated like I'm your possession, Ken," Kaoru said heatedly, as soon as she'd determined that they were alone. She pushed away from him.

Ken's eyes widened, then narrowed. "In here you are. Or would you rather be someone else's? Just cool it down. I did what I had to do and said what I had to say to get us in here without suspicion."

"I don't like being a contact. It makes me feel like a slut." Kaoru crossed her arms in front of her and glared at him.

"Deal with it. Just don't lose your cool or you might wind up dead."

"How can you be so insensitive? I should've listened to what Misao and Kamatari said."

Ken was annoyed. "What did they say?"

"That you were a bastard who doesn't know how to treat a lady!" Kaoru uncrossed her arms and punctuated each word with hand gestures. "And that's not swearing because I'm quoting."

Ken rolled his eyes. So Kamatari was talking about him behind his back again? At least Misao had said it to his face.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Ken!" She had her hands on her hips not. "This whole experience isn't easy for me and you make it even harder by not taking my feelings into consideration."

Ken sighed. "I wasn't rolling my eyes at you. Don't talk so loud or someone will hear us."

"Over that loud music? I don't think even a vampire could. I don't know if I can take this anymore. The only thing that's saving me are these earrings. Have you ever had your life rely on a pair of earrings before, Ken? And you never even say my name! Not once since that one time in the restaurant. Do you even like me or am I just some human prize to show off to all your friends?"

Ken moved toward her. "Come on, cheer up -"

She backed away. "See? You can't even say my name," she repeated. "There's no reason for that. . ." she trailed off.

"If you don't get it together we're going to get found out."

Kaoru took a deep breath and nodded.

Ken handed her the shades.

Kaoru slipped them on, feeling a little better now that noone could possibly see her eyes and read her expression.

Ken offered her his arm and they walked into the club.

Do you really think I've turned sour on life?

Sometimes it seems like that.

It's just hard. I get so jealous of it.

That's why I try to love it while I'm hating it. I know I could never turn anyone now. I'd have hated you forever it you'd let me change Megumi. Did I ever thank you for that?

No. When did you grow up? I feel like some mother whose chick has flown out of the nest.

Don't go getting all sentimental on me! It's scary.

The club was beautiful, Kaoru had to give it that. Huge traditional Japanese paintings graced the walls, but the dance floor was the first site to catch her eye. It was the central focus of the room, huge and rectangular and filled with people. The smooth wooden floor shone in the dim light and red and black balloons graced the ceiling above the floor, ties streaming down above the heads of the dancers. Tables were set up along the left of the hall, with a bar in the far corner left corner and one in the corner just to her right. A red carpet wound around the floor and the tables. Private rooms marked by the clinking of glasses and cigarette smoke as thick as fog stretched along the far right of the room.

Ken led her to the right along the red carpet and helped seat her at the bar, her back to the dance floor. She crossed her legs because that was the only thing she could do wearing so short a dress. He slipped onto the stool to her right. One of the bartenders, a young looking vampire, sauntered over to them.

He nodded to Ken but addressed Kaoru. "What can I get you?"

Kaoru had no idea what she liked as far as drinks went. She was still underage and had sworn never to drink. Besides beer, she only knew names, creme de menthe, Chardonnay, bloody Mary, champagne, Grgich Hills, Cakebread. Weren't those last two wine? And then there was vodka on the rocks. She decided it would be safe to just order water. She wanted to be alert anyway, and alcohol dulled your senses.

"Just H2O."

He shrugged and grabbed a glass, pouring her some from a tap. "Not a drinker?"

"No."

He slid it across the counter to her. Kaoru was glad she caught it and didn't do anything dumb like spill it all over her. That would've been perfect.

"What about you?" the young vampire asked Ken.

"7-and-7."

The vampire raised his eyebrows. "I would've taken you for something less simple." He moved away towards the middle of the bar to mix Ken's drink.

Kaoru took a cautious sip of her water, determined that it was in fact water, and watched the bartender over the rim of the glass. What in the heck was a 7-and-7?

Ken watched her watching the bartender mix the drinks. She was too funny sometimes, really. Anyone could tell she was young and inexperienced. He wondered if she'd ever been in a club before. He reached over and encircled her right hand with his left, forcing her to set the glass down. He held her hand as she turned to look at him, lifting her shades for a moment, questions in her eyes.

"A 7-and-7 is just 7UP, ice, and beer. He's using a bottle of Seagram's 7 Crown," he explained just loud enough so only she could hear. "I noticed you were curious. I didn't want anything too strong."

Kaoru blushed. His hand felt smooth and warm, human. He'd seen through her easily.

"Now remember, while we're here, you're one of my contacts. Can you live with that?"

Kaoru smiled, glad that he'd changed the subject. "I guess there are worse guys." She let her shades slip back down over her eyes.

The bartender slid Ken's drink over to him. Ken nodded to him, reaching into his pocket with his other hand and tossing him a five across the table.

Kaoru laughed.

"What?"

"Your drink stops in just the right spot when he slides it across to you. I have to practically catch mine. You're too smooth sometimes."

Ken smirked and took a sip of his drink, not taking his eyes from Kaoru's shades. "Yours would've stopped." He sat the drink down. "I'm looking for two guys that hang with six or seven contacts between them, maybe more. They might be in a private room, but they'll head out here sooner or later so show off. The first guy that asks you to dance, do it. They'll eventually get around to asking you to be one of their contacts and I want you to be visible."

"Why are you so sure someone's going to ask me to dance? And why can't you just dance with me?" Kaoru asked, confused.

"Most of the clientele here are vampires. There'll be on the lookout for a human. Besides, you already stand out with the dress and shades. And I'm not going to dance with you because I'm not the one who's supposed to be visible and they don't want anything with me because I'm a vampire."

"I thought I was supposed to be your contact."

"Vampires often share. It would draw attention if I didn't let you dance with anyone else. Just don't go in a private room with anyone. The stairs to the second floor are back there."

"There's not much love in the vampire culture, is there?" Kaoru asked sarcastically. "No wonder couples like the Shinomoris are rare."

"Forever is a long time to be around one person."

"That's no excuse." Kaoru was starting to get angry. She was glad the shades were there to shield her emotions from the rest of the people in the club.

"The sex and blood thing with humans doesn't seat well with spouses," Ken said lightly.

"It doesn't seat well with me either, even if humans can't get pregnant."

"How much more information did you get out of Kamatari? I never told you that."

"Nunya," Kaoru said obstinately.

"What?"

"None of your business. You'll have to get it out of me some other time. He only told me what you-" She turned to face him and jabbed him in the chest with her left pointer finger. "-should have told me in the first place."

Ken sighed. She was getting angry again. But her admired her guts. She'd probably dragged the information out of Kamatari. He wondered if she knew how manipulative she had the potential to be when she wanted something.

"Maybe I should have."

"No maybes, Ken," she persisted.

"Whatever you say. Now just keep looking at me. A vampire's coming over here for you. Just dance with him and come back here to report to me when you get tired," he finished just as Kaoru felt a tap on her shoulder. Ken released her hand and she turned to her left to face the vampire.

She took a long drink of her water, knowing it would be dumb to drink it once she'd left the table. Who knew what kind of drugs vampires slipped into people's drinks. She studied the guy out of the corner of her eye. He waited patiently until she'd finished and turned to face him fully, her back to Ken.

"Would you dance with me, Miss?" he asked, openly looking her over. His short brown hair was spike up with gel, in the way that was popular with young white men and teens lately. He was dressed more casually than Ken. Instead of dress pants like the ones Kamatari had outfitted Ken with, this youth wore designer jeans and a t-shirt. He was obviously out to party and nothing else.

From the looks of it, he thought Kaoru was part of his party. She resisted the urge to say no and add some stinging comment, glad that he couldn't read her expression for her sunglasses. She smiled instead. She'd have Ken's head for this. Well probably not, but it made her feel better to think of revenge. "I'd be happy to." She smiled and let him take her hand and pull her off the stool. He nodded past her to Ken and took her hand.

"What's your name?" he asked loudly over the music as he led her towards one of the groups of steps that led up to the dance floor, a couple feet above the rest of the club.

"Let's think of me more as a mystery. One you're not going to solve tonight." Kaoru said with a smile.

"So I take it you're not going to tell me then," he joked.

Kaoru supposed he thought he was cute. Well he wasn't, and his hand was warm and sweaty. So vampires were capable of sweating. She knew he wasn't warm from exertion though. He must've just fed. Well at least he wasn't hungry.

He led her up onto the dance floor and into the thick throng of people and vampires. Several glanced at her in surprise as she passed by them. There were quite a few hungry looks. The vampire she was with, who looked to be in his late twenties but could be two hundred or seventy for all she knew, turned and started dancing to the fast beat. She joined him, glad to lose herself in the music. At least vampires had taste.

What's that?

It's called a book, Sano.

I know it's a book! I mean what language is that?

English.

Why are you reading a book in . . . 'english'?

Because it's the language of the future.

You don't think I'll have to learn it, do you?

Eventually.

Damn! Say something in 'english' so I know a few words.

Hello, I am an illiterate idiot.

Okay. What did you just say?

Hello. How are you.

Okay. Lemme try. 'Hello, I am an illegitimate idiot.' How was that?

Even better than I said it.

Cool. I think I'll try it on those foreign girls from some weird country called ' the us of a'.

You go do that.

They were slow dancing. The spiky haired vampire's hands rested lightly on her waist. Kaoru let her wrists rest on his shoulders and her hands dangle. Kaoru had decided he wasn't all that bad aside from the fact that he flashed his fangs at her occasionally and thought way too highly of himself.

"So you wanna find a room upstairs and have some real fun?" he asked, pulling Kaoru close to him and trailing his hands south of the border.

"I don't do that kind of shit," Kaoru said flatly, surprising herself. She instantly made a mental apology to God.

"Come on. The guy you're with can't be that jealous. We vampires are looser with our women than humans. You know that."

"I'm not doing anything with you. Let me go," Kaoru ordered, trying to wrench herself away. He was too strong. She couldn't budge. He didn't look like he was using too much energy. Kaoru wondered why Ken always let her push away from him if all vampires were this strong. Come to think of it, super human strength was one of the traits the legends attributed to vampires.

"I could bite you right now and you'd like it. All your kind does," he said so only she could hear. "No one would think it was unusual. Happens all the time."

Kaoru reached back with her right hand and tucked her hair behind her ear. The silver cross earring glinted dully in the dim lighting. He froze. Kaoru backed out of his arms, jostling another couple. "You are never going to sink your teeth into this woman, and what's with the dissing of mankind? You used to be human."

He bared his fangs at her. Kaoru could tell he'd prefer to rip her apart, but the cross daunted him. "Bitch."

Kaoru had been called a bitch before. She found she didn't really care about it this time either. She just smirked at him, turned her back, and made for an exit off the dance floor. She was going to kill Ken! He'd be watching her! That line had been a bunch of bull. But when she got to the bar, he wasn't there. Kaoru found she wasn't surprised. She sighed and took a seat on the stool Ken had been sitting on when she left. The bartender, spotting her, came over and leaned on the counter in front of her. He silently handed her her purse from under the counter.

"Thanks."

"No problem. The guy told me to save it for you. I would stay and talk, but you look pissed," he commented, not moving from his spot in front of her.

"Where'd he go, the guy I was with?" Kaoru asked after a moment.

"Some chicks grabbed him the moment you left. He's on the floor," the man stated matter-of-factly. "Chick magnet, that one."

Kaoru turned on the stool to face the floor. After a moment of scanning, sure enough, there was Ken, surrounded by three or four women who had to be vampires. They looked a little too pale to be human. The song had changed to a fast beat. He looked loose on the floor, like he was having fun. One of the girls saw Kaoru looking and winked at her.

It really ticked Kaoru off. Here she was, avoiding getting the blood sucked out of her veins with a pair of sunglasses and earrings. The guy she'd been dancing with had apparently thought she was a ho for free and the guy at the bar probably just wanted to go to bed with her too. And the whole reason she was doing it was because she was supposed to attract some vampire jerks who also wanted to go to bed with her and suck her blood. What in the hell was she supposed to do once she did get their attention anyway?! And all for Ken. She was NOT happy, and he had the nerve to be out there having fun! He never looked like he was having fun when he was around her. She turned her back to the dance floor, fuming.

"You look even more pissed. A drink'll mellow you out. Want one? It's on the house for a pretty one like you."

That basically confirmed her suspicions about the bartender wanting to go to bed with her. "No thanks. I don't drink," she told him again.

"Well alright, but you might need to get yourself a ride home from the looks of things. I'm free."

"No thanks," Kaoru refused, slinging her purse on her shoulder and sliding off the barstool. God, what would her parents think if they saw her now? She was glad they were on vacation somewhere in the Caribbean, hundreds of miles away from her. She had half a mind to blow Ken's cover by marching up there to the floor and dragging him off, but he'd just be furious with her. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. The women were throwing themselves all over him. She sighed. Who was she to ruin his fun? She'd make his life miserable later. She grumpily headed for the lounge where she'd seen a bathroom when they'd come in earlier.

Battousai, you're alive? We left you for dead on the battlefield.

Is the cause achieved then?

Yes. The new government will be put into place soon. There are only a few minor pockets of resistance.

Then you don't need me.

I wouldn't say that. You'd be great in a government position. I'll put in a good word for you.

No. This part of my life is over. I've done my duty to my country.

They were waiting for her when she stepped out of the bathroom, four male vampires. The smallest, a wry thin man, spoke. "Some guys payed us to get you, lady. You're wanted in one of the private rooms upstairs. You coming quietly, or do you want for us to drag you?"

"So it's like that, huh?" Kaoru asked, wanting to buy some time to think of her options. Ken had cautioned her not to let herself get tricked into going to the private rooms. She didn't see that she had much choice in the matter. If she flashed the earrings, it would cause a scene and blow their cover. What if all the vampires turned on them then? A pair of earrings would be no match to fend them all off. Besides, the only way upstairs was the stairs in the main room, back behind the private rooms on the first floor. They had to lead her to them by going back through the club. She'd just have to hope Ken saw her.

"Yeah. It's like that," the man imitated. He grabbed her arm and started to drag her into the club.

Kaoru drew back her hair with her other arm and pointed to the earring. "Hands off. I'm coming on my own," she ordered haughtily.

He rolled his eyes, but got the message and let go. He turned and started walking into the club. She followed, one of the guys in step with her, the other two behind.

What's wrong?

Every time we come here I have to visit Megumi, no matter how old she gets. And she's always happy to see me.

So what's the problem.

It was like a blast from the past. Her granddaughter answered the door.

So? She turn you away?

She's just the age Megumi was when I met her. She looks exactly like her, same stuck up expression, same laugh too.

I'm sorry.

Thanks. Megumi's doing good though. Her husband died a few years back. She looked pretty broken up about it. What if the next time I visit her she's dead?

It was nice being around women who weren't frustrating all the time. Even when Kaoru wasn't moody, she was still exasperating to be around, simply because he couldn't have her. She annoyed him because she was human and every physical part of him craved her blood. She annoyed him because he was more attracted to her than he'd been to anyone in his whole life, both human and vampire. And he couldn't have her. So it was gratifying to be away from the stress she put on him, however unconsciously, and dancing with these women who expected nothing from him and didn't tempt him in the slightest. Then he glanced towards the bar and saw Kaoru walking past it surrounded by tall male vampires. And he knew she'd succeeded in attracting the right people's attention and was probably enormously pissed off at him. As much as he didn't want to give up dancing and these girls he probably would've had a lot of fun with, he knew he had to. He could never forgive himself if something bad happened to Kaoru.

You've got to help me!

What's wrong? Is someone in your hotel room?

No! The guy who gave me the room flicked on a switch and light came from these glass circles on the ceiling. Oh no! They're in your room too!

They're called light bulbs. What's the problem?

The problem is they're not natural! They probably run on your energy! You've got to turn them off.

No. . . . Now we're in the dark.

Better that than having the energy sucked out of you.

Haven't you ever heard of electricity?! Get out of my hotel room.

I'm just trying to save you -

Goodbye, Sano!

"You know you're not the first man to hold me in a closed room to question," Kaoru said bluntly to the scuzzy looking vampire who sat in the chair next to her. "And I doubt you'll be the last. What do you want? I don't appreciate being forced into anything." She'd decided the best thing to do would be to play it tough and not show the fear that she felt.

"Woah, woah. Rest easy. I'm just here to offer you a temporary job. Just for the next two nights," he protested. "No need to get your guard up."

Kaoru laughed. "I suppose you want me to be one of your whores then."

"Actually no." He reached in his pocket and for one crazy moment, Kaoru thought he was going to pull out a knife. But it was merely a cigar and lighter. "You want one?" he offered.

"I can't stand cigars." She declined impolitely. "What do you want?"

He took his time lighting it. "I want you to be my buddies contact for the next two nights. Pay's three thousand bucks an hour."

"So you do want me to be someone's whore."

"Yeah, but not mine. You're a little rough around the edges for such a young lookin' chick. My buddy'll enjoy having you around though."

"Who do you work for that you can pay me and those other girls that much an hour?" Kaoru asked, pretending to consider the idea. She wanted to get as much information out of this guy as she could, both for her sake and for Ken's. She deserved to know what was going on.

The man looked surprised at her question. He puffed out a cloud of smoke in the shape of a hoop before bothering to answer. "I thought that was why you came in the first place. We work for the dark one. We're on vacation. Certainly did enough to earn it." He muttered the last.

Kaoru pretended she knew who the 'dark one' was. "Yeah? And I'm the queen of England."

"You don't believe me. I don't lie. Well not a lot." He grinned lazily.

"No I don't believe you. Got any proof?" she challenged.

He extended the underside of his left wrist toward her. There was a tattoo of a black dagger stabbing a heart that wept three drops of dark red blood. The blood was the only color on the drawing. "There's his mark. You know as well as I do that noone would dare to fake one. They'd die in three days. The dark one would see to that."

"I'm satisfied. What do you want me to do?" Kaoru asked, mentally cursing Ken. What had he got her involved with some crazy vampire gang lord for anyway? He had a lot of explaining to do, assuming she ever saw him again.

"You'd simply provide for my buddy physically. You smell healthy. I'm sure you could loose a little blood and be alright."

"I happen to be attached to my blood, but what the hey? When would I get paid if I accepted your offer?"

"An hour before dawn each day. You could start now if you want. I've got a couple girls outside who would escort you to him. You takin' my offer then?"

Kaoru decided she could take a couple human girls, especially ones who were getting fed off of every night. She stood. "Yes."

He gazed at her blearily. "Good. Then just step outside the door. Rose and Morgana are two contacts like you. They'll take you to my buddy."

"Fine." Kaoru exited, relieved to be away from that vampire. He had made her feel caged. She could feel the power that emanated from him. Whoever this 'dark one' was, he chose his minions well.

The two human were leaning against the wall on either side of the door. They stood when Kaoru exited and watched as she shut the door behind her. "Don't try to escape. We're on to you," the taller, blond one said icily.

"What ever do you mean?" Kaoru asked innocently, gracing them with a smirk.

The other one huffed and turned away. "Just follow me and don't listen to her. She just needs a fix."

"Shut up Morgana," the blond continued. "I can tell she's not hooked."

Kaoru followed the other one since she was headed towards the stairs anyway. "If she's Morgana, then you must be Rose," Kaoru put in. "Well you are certainly no rose."

"Why you little bitch!"

The other girl laughed.

"I've been called a bitch already today, hon. It's getting old," Kaoru spat out. They'd reached the stairs. The one called Morgana had already walked past them. Kaoru felt a rush of air as Rose lunged towards her. She smirked. Here was the perfect excuse to use her judo move. Going with the girl's momentum, she grabbed her arm and flipped her over her shoulder. Rose landed, stunned, on her back. Surprisingly, Kaoru still had her purse.

"Ooh. She so deserved that," Morgana commented, having turned around just in time to see the action. "Come on, new girl. You'll fit right in."

"I don't think I'm right for this," Kaoru said, pulling open the door to the stairs.

Morgana looked confused. "But you can't back out once you're hired. I'll have to let them know you're going."

"Sorry. No can do. Bye." Kaoru waved, and ran down the dim stairwell. Halfway down the first flight she whipped into someone coming up and fell the rest of the way down. Luckily, they broke her fall. She assessed herself. No broken bones, just a couple scrapes and brush burns. "I'm so sorry," she began, then got a good look at the person's face. "Ken?!"

He was relieved to hear Kaoru's voice. So then he wasn't too late after all. But now was no time to fuss over her. Who knew where she'd been or why she was running down the stairs in the first place. "You're alive. Good. Now please get off me."

Blushing, Kaoru scrambled off of him and rose to her feet. She watched as he did the same. "What are you doing here? Why didn't you come and get me sooner, you idiot!"

"Sorry," he apologized to appease her. "Did you get anything?"

"I bet you're sorry! I saw you dancing with those girls! You were supposed to be watching my back!"

"I was blending in," he defended himself guiltily. "Did you get anything?" he asked again.

"Yeah I got something! I got a job offer! One I don't feel like accepting. Where do you think I was going when I ran into you? They'll be onto me any second!"

"Why didn't you tell me!?! We've got to get out of here. I'll have to fight them if they catch us and I don't want them knowing who I am." He leaned forward and lifted Kaoru bridal style in one quick movement. Not bothering to explain why, he raced down the stairs and stopped at the bottom, listening. He didn't hear any voices in the hallway, but he could hear some just outside the door on the floor where Kaoru had been. He decided to risk it and barged out into the hallway. Noone. He let the door shut as he heard the one at the top of the stairs open. He raced to the emergency exit and out into the night.

Kaoru didn't recover from the shock of Ken suddenly picking her up and the blurry sensation of his speed until they were outside. He raced from shadow to shadow. "What are you doing? They're not after us!"

"There were cameras all over that place. They know which exit we used and they probably have trackers to find which direction I went in. Don't talk so loud. There's the car over there." He sat her down. "I'm going to unlock the doors with the remote and when you do, run for it. We have to get away from here. Ready?" He didn't stop to see if she was, but fumbled the key ring from his pocket and pointed the remote at the car.

They had perhaps thirty yards to run. From their angle, the passenger side was closest, so Ken would have to run around the front of the car and then get in. Of course, being Ken, he was faster then Kaoru. She cursed her high heels. It didn't help that Ken had made it sound like they would be shot running across the open territory, or what ever vampires did that was the equivalent of shooting. But somehow, she made it. She felt incredibly slow and Ken was already in the car and had it started by the time she shut her door, but she made it. Noone had shot at them. Noone was even there that she was aware of. He pealed away before she was strapped in, making her lurch back into the seat. He kept glancing in the mirror as if he expected a tail, and still noone was there. Kaoru managed to buckle her seatbelt.

"Do you want to tell me about the dark one, Ken?" Kaoru asked after her fear of immediate pursuit had died down and she felt a little safer.

Ken gulped. He would've felt scared at the tone in her voice if he wasn't waiting for the tails to materialize behind them.

"He must be pretty powerful to let his guys offer me three thousand an hour," she continued. "You haven't gotten me involved in some crazy vampire war, have you?"

"I'll explain later. Right now we've got to get to someplace where I can ditch this car. Once we get to a more populated part of the city, start looking for an alley. They probably have a bug planted on this car and are tracking us right now."

"A bug! Stop and look for it then."

"Can't. As soon as we stop they'll get suspicious and show up if they haven't decided to already. Once they find out this is the car you got away in. . ."

"Oh no! We can't escape on foot once we ditch the car!"

"We'll only need to run for a little while until we're out of the alley. Then we can stop in a shop or something and I'll call and get another car." There were the tails in the mirror alright. They weren't even bothering to hide the fact. Ken decided this area was populated enough. "Hold on, this is our turn." He sped up and turned into an alley. The following car screeched past, trying to brake. Ken continued to the end of the alley and stopped the car. "Get out!" he yelled, diving out his side and rushing around to Kaoru's.

Kaoru barely had time to unbuckle her seatbelt and jump down from the car when Ken was there grabbing her hand and dragging her towards the end of the alley. She heard a voice behind her yell stop and a couple gun shots. A breath of wind blew by her cheek and she knew that had been a bullet. Then Ken had whipped her around the corner and was weaving with her through the other pedestrians. He illegally jaywalked, causing a fender bender, and ran around another corner. There was another shot. People screamed and dropped to the ground. Down a straightaway, another alley, another street.

Then they were on 45th street, and then they were in Times Square. The lights were in their favor. He crossed the street to the traffic island where some insane guy stood, a crowd around him, in his underwear strumming on a guitar. He had a cowboy hat on and words painted on it. Kaoru realized that this was the 'naked cowboy' she'd read an article about. She wished she could get his autograph.

Then they were breezing in front of a bus and a traffic cop and inside a records store. Ken was forced to slow to a fast walk. He dragged her to the back of the store. Old sheet music of ancient jazz tunes was displayed on musty racks. He let go of her hand and pulled out his cell phone. Kaoru took the moment to listen in and recover from the shock of the chase.

"It's Ken . . . I need a car. Mine's gone . . . Times Square, south corner of 45th, in a records store . . . I need one closer than that. Some guys are looking for us . . . Of course she's here too . . . Five minutes, the north corner outside . . . We'll be crossing the street . . . Thanks . . . Yeah, I'll take care of your car." Ken hung up, slipping the phone back in his pocket.

"Who was that?" Kaoru asked.

"Aoshi. In four minutes and thirty seconds, we're going to step out of this store and cross the traffic median. We'll wait until we see a gray Jeep Cherokee in the lane closest to us with a cowboy hat on the antenna. The driver will stop and jump out. We'll shake hands while you get in the back seat. He'll leave and we'll drive away. I would have him take you to Aoshi's so I can get some info from those two who were shooting at us, but I can't trust Aoshi's people with you. We're still doing the couple thing, so just hold my hand and follow me. Got it?"

Kaoru nodded. "Ken, I feel like I'm walking around in a dream."

An elderly female customer came back and gave them an odd look. Ken realized that they must look pretty strange, standing back in a dark corner of the store. He held out his arms, willing Kaoru to come in to his embrace. She did, looking troubled. The elderly woman smiled and turned away.

"You don't tell me anything," Kaoru accused sadly, pressing herself against him, glad for the contact. She closed her eyes.

"The less you know, the better," Ken responded, surprised that she was seeking comfort from him.

"That's not true. I'm risking my life. That's like being able to die for your country when you're eighteen, but you can't drink until you're twenty-one. It's messed up."

"The whole world's f**ked up. You didn't think I wouldn't be?"

"You're the least messed up person I've met my whole life." She put and emphasis on the 'messed'. Ken thought it was funny that she didn't want him to swear.

"You just don't know me very well," Ken denied.

"Well I wish I did," she said slowly. "Something drew me to you, Ken. I don't know why." She sighed, wondering why since Ken kept himself emotionally detached from her. It was hard having other people warm to her quicker than the one person she wanted in all this. She was surprised that he was even holding her right now. Even though she couldn't have him anyway, it was heartbreaking to see how easy and familiar he was with all the people around him except for her. Sure he'd probably known them longer than she'd been alive, but what about those dancers at the club? He couldn't have known them for more than forty-five minutes. Still, he had kissed her. That confused her most of all. She'd enjoyed it, having someone act at ease around her after the episode with Misao and Aoshi. Her lips still tingled at the memory. She'd thought he cared about her then. But he acted as if nothing had happened the next night. Did he just not want to talk about it? "This must have all been meant to happen," she said to herself.

Ken closed his eyes too, letting himself enjoy being so close to her, breathing in her scent. He'd missed her while she was away from him at the club and when he'd had to leave her with Kamatari. It was pleasant having a quiet moment with her, only the lull of human voices in the background. They stood together until Ken looked at his watch and saw they had a minute left. He withdrew his arms from around her and took her left hand with his right, turning and leading her past the line and to the door before she'd fully opened her eyes.

The night assaulted Kaoru's vision, but it was never dark in Times Square. She followed Ken as he wove through the crowd at the corner to the crosswalk. She stood just behind him, glad he was holding her hand. The light changed and they walked across to the median. The naked cowboy was gone. She felt a vibration under her and realized it was the subway. Times Square was a beautiful sight to behold at night. She hadn't been there since a field trip in high school, and certainly never at night. There were the huge buildings, a giant advertisement for the Lord of the Rings, painted billboards for Victoria Secret and Target, but the lights were the most astounding.

A bus drove past not a foot in front of Ken. An advertisement for Freddy vs. Jason. A gray Jeep Cherokee was stopped in the traffic in front of them. There was a brown cowboy hat waving merrily in the wind on the antenna. The driver climbed out, shook hands with Ken. Ken pulled her forward and she opened the back door and climbed in the back, shutting the door. Ken and the driver exchanged words that she couldn't hear and he calmly slid down into the driver's seat, shut the door, waved to the man, and shifted the Jeep into gear. They pulled away from Times Square.

"That went well. We ditched the tail," he told her, buckling his seatbelt and adjusting the mirrors.

"Where are we going now? The Shinomoris?" Kaoru asked.

"The airport in Newark. I need to reserve some tickets for tomorrow night and I have to do it in person so we don't have to show ID," he replied.

"Where are we going tomorrow night?" Kaoru asked, not really surprised. "Back to Philly?"

"That would be dumb to take a plane to Philadelphia from New York. We're going to LA."

"You mean LA like Los Angeles?"

"Yes."

"Like Los Angeles in California?" she asked incredulously.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I'll tell you on the plane ride. You my as well get some sleep on the way to the airport. Lay down in the back. It'll be about an hour."

"Ken, tell me tonight. Where are we sleeping tonight anyway?"

"The Shinomoris. Maybe I'll tell you if we have enough time before dawn."

Kaoru sighed and lay down across the back seat.

A/N - In case you were wondering, I don't drink. I just know some names for wines and other alcoholic beverages. I forget how, um, I read a lot? Hope you liked the chapter. What do you think of Club Shinta? I think I'd go, assuming it was real and I was a vampire. Okay, that would really suck to be a vampire though. Any opinions? Questions? Just tell me in a review. Speaking of reviews. It's time to thank the wonderful reviewers of chapter two!

JML - The Girl Who Cried Oro - Neko Oni-chan(Wow. You were kinda close, but it ain't all about revenge!) - kouri(Sou and Tomoe. Did I mention I can't stand Tomoe? But no fear, I do like Sou.) - Haroku 1(You've got a little insight there. Those little interactions are Kenshin's memories. They're not all him talking to Sano though. You kinda have to figure out which ones because I'm not telling! *wink*) - DespitefulSaint(I think Kamatari is cool too!) - Hitokiri-miao miao(I do have the first four chapters pre written, but after that it's an open road.) - Riokai Guardian of the Night - Hiromi - Saiya Winters(Alex is a gonner, okay? LoL. And no, Kaoru is not going to die. Can't vouch for the other characters though, sorry.) - Brooke - HiEi FoR sALE - Migo - bitchy brunette(Aww. You put me on your favorites list? I am really honored.)

Thank-you all!