Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sunset's Path ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or any of the characters.

Megumi was in shock; of course, so were the rest of the people sitting at their table with the exception of Kenshin. Out of nowhere, Kaoru openly declared her love for Sanosuke. After a couple of stunned minutes, the tall fighter picked her up and swung her around saying how much he loved her in return. It was one of those moments that were so sickeningly sweet that made you want to puke. Her bewilderment must have shown on her face because there was no way she could think of controlling her expression. A sudden weight on her shoulder pulled her out of the shock partly.

“May I sit beside you, Megumi?” Kenshin asked, for the first time not using any honorifics.

The long haired woman nodded still a little too out of it. Finally, her mind caught up with the rest of her body, and the most obvious question hit her. She turned to the now sitting man, “I thought you and Kaoru were…”

The normally polite swordsman interrupted her. “No, we never were. Kaoru is like a little sister to me.” He stopped long enough to smile at the new couple. “Besides, there is someone else I love. She is currently unaware of my feelings, but I plan to make my intentions very clear soon.”

Now her curiosity was pricked. She wondered who could’ve possibly caught his attention. “And your intentions are?”

He kept his purple eyes locked on the rest of their noisy group. “Marriage.”

Megumi had to ask, “And who is this mysterious woman?”

He turned his head to look at her with his purple eyes shining with amusement. “You’ll see.”

Sometimes, Megumi just wanted to strangle him.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
< br> The next day, Megumi was in the process of closing the clinic door when she heard Kaoru’s voice calling out to her.

“Megumi, can you come to the dojo?” The poor girl was out of breath; her face was flushed from running.

Now alarmed, the older woman asked: “Is someone hurt?”

Kaoru’s eyes widened, “Oh no! It’s nothing like that! I just wanted to know if you could come over for dinner.”

Megumi let out a breath of relief. Trouble always seemed to find a way to get to her new family. She couldn’t count the number of times Kaoru ran up to her like that because someone was injured.

“I also think of you as a sister, so I wanted to clear some things up.”

Warmth filled Megumi from the younger girl’s words. “Before I go anywhere, I have to ask: who’s cooking?”

Kaoru laughed, “No need to worry, Kenshin’s cooking tonight.”

Megumi nodded her head with a smile as they started walking towards the dojo. The walk took only a few minutes; and once they got there, the two of them sat on the porch to watch the approaching sunset. Kenshin was inside preparing dinner, Sano was off running errands, and Yahiko was visiting Tsubame. The older woman waited patiently for Kaoru to begin talking.

The younger woman shifted until she was somewhat turned towards Megumi. “When Kenshin first came here, I admit that I was attracted to him. Who wouldn’t be? He’s an older, well-mannered, extremely talented, intelligent man-not to mention how good looking he is.”

Megumi had to agree with the other’s assessment of the swordsman.

Kaoru continued: “He also has that aura of danger about him. However as I got know him better I, realized that I couldn’t be what he needed. I’m too young, too sheltered, and because of those things he would never be able to treat me as a partner all because he would want to protect me. Once I realized this I began to see Kenshin as the big brother I’ve never had. Then I found myself falling in love with Sano. He can be impulsive; he has a habit of saying things he shouldn’t say, but Sano’s more than that.” It’s like he’s my other half.”

Megumi looked at the young woman beside her with pride. Kaoru was turning into a fine woman. “Since I’ve known you, you’ve really grown up. You’re not the naïve little girl who was grasping at wisps of clouds anymore.” No, Kaoru now had her hands wrapped around a dream that was coming true.

Looking pleased, Kaoru turned her head towards the slowly setting sun with a light blush on her cheeks. Suddenly a thoughtful look crossed her face. “Kenshin told me that he loved someone, but he refused to say who-even after I threatened him.” A pout crossed her face.

Megumi’s eyes widened at all of the possibilities that those last words held. Poor Kenshin, Kaoru could be quite inventive if given the proper motivation. “He said the same thing to me last night.”

The pout changed to mock anger. “One of these days I’m gonna strangle him,” she said causing both of them to burst out laughing.

“Miss Kaoru, Megumi. May I ask what’s so funny?” Speaking of the devil, he finally made an appearance.

“Oh nothing,” Megumi answered while Kaoru tried to stifle her laughter. With one red eyebrow raised, Kenshin sat down beside her on the porch.

“Hey you guys!” Sano called out as he entered through the gate. Kaoru jumped up running to help him with the bundles he carried. As she watched, Megumi smiled at how happy they were.

“Sunsets are really beautiful aren’t they?”

She turned to look at the man beside her, and with a start realized how close he was to her. Unbidden, Kaoru’s words from a few minutes ago ran through her mind. Praying that she wasn’t blushing, Megumi mentally cursed at the girl as she jerked her head back towards the setting sun. “Yes they are.” She responded in agreement. “When I was little, I used to always watch the sun set with my father.”

“It wasn’t until I came here that I really appreciated them.” His voice was so soft and so sad making her heart ache for him. She was unable to stop herself from looking at him and found that he was watching her. His gaze was so intense; if she didn’t know better it seemed to say…

Kaoru yelled from inside: “Kenshin, why didn’t you tell us that dinner was ready?!”

The look was gone replaced by his normal cheerful face. “Oops, I must have forgotten. I’m really sorry, that I am.”

Right then, Megumi realized that she was in serious trouble. Damn that man.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

“Megumi?”

It had been a very busy week at the clinic.

“Megumi?”

Megumi lifted her head up from where it laid on her arms. “Yes, Dr. Gensai? I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention.”

“My dear, you’ve barely slept or left the clinic. Go home; I’m closing the clinic early since amazingly no one is here.” The older man’s voice radiated concern for her. “You look like you’re dead on your feet, and you’re so pale. Take the next few days to get some rest.”

She knew she needed the rest. She also didn’t feel like arguing with him. “If you insist.”

“Auntie Megumi, wait!” Two young voices called out. Ayame and Suzume ran up to her; each girl grabbed one of her hands. “Can you take us to the dojo? Please!!”

Dr. Gensai chuckled at the girls’ antics. “I’m sorry to ask this of you, but would you take them? Miss Kaoru was nice enough to agree to watch them for a couple of days for me.”

These two little girls were always able to brighten her day. Just like a certain someone’s smile…groaning mentally she pushed that thought away telling herself not to think of him. “Of course, I don’t mind. I always have time for these two.” Both girls cheered excitedly as they pulled her out the door.

The two girls talked nonstop as they walked. However, the closer they got to their destination the more nervous Megumi became. Once again she gave herself a stern talking to: Get a hold of yourself! This is Kenshin; he doesn’t think of you that way. It didn’t help that he was even more devious then she. Megumi was so busy trying to keep her thoughts in control that she didn’t realize they had reached the dojo until two excited squeals rant out. “Uncle Ken!” Well, speak of the devil.

“Well, hello there! I’m glad to see you two looking so well, that I am. Miss Kaoru is waiting in her room for you.”

Ayame and Suzume were off running towards Kaoru’s room in a heartbeat leaving her alone with Kenshin. Damn. Damn. Damn!

“Megumi?”

She jumped not realizing how close he’d gotten to her. “Huh?” It wasn’t the most intelligent response she’d ever given, but it worked. She tried not to blush while she waited for her heart to stop beating rapidly.

“Megumi, you haven’t been here in a while. Is everything all right?”

She relaxed at the gentle concern in his voice. “I’m fine, and nothing’s wrong. It’s just been extremely busy at the clinic. Because it’s harvest time there have been increases in cuts, broken limbs, and other injuries.”

The concern faded some from his voice. “You must be careful not to overwork yourself. Do you need help at the clinic?”

Shaking her head, she replied: “No we don’t. You don’t have to worry about me overworking myself. Dr. Gensai told me to take the next few days off for rest.”

A grin appeared on Kenshin’s face. “A wise man he is. Why don’t you stay here then?”

By now Megumi realized that they were still standing at the gate so she walked to the porch. “I think I will. It would definitely be a nice change.”

“Your room, as always, is ready. Besides, Kaoru’s been in one of her enthusiastic moods. I think Sano might have proposed.”

“What?! Are you sure?” She asked as she sat down on the porch. Megumi didn’t really want to go inside yet-not when it was so nice outside.

Once again Kenshin sat close beside her. “I’m not sure; however, he said he was going to.”

“It’s just so soon,” she said. It was only a little over a week when he and Kaoru admitted they like each other, and now they were getting married? “I am happy for them.” How could she be anything but happy for them?

For a few minutes everything was silent then Kenshin spoke, “Sano said that he didn’t want to wait too long considering what we’ve all been through.”

Megumi nodded her head. “We’ve all seen too much pain and not enough happiness. At times life seems to go on forever, but in reality it is far too short.”

Once again all was quiet as they watched the sun set. Out of nowhere a warm hand covered one of her hands that rested on the porch. Kenshin’s voice was completely serious as he spoke: “I wish you wouldn’t isolate yourself from us. I agree that life’s too short; so please don’t hide. I would like to take away your loneliness. That is if you would let me.”

There were sparks of gold floating in his purple eyes, his beautiful haunted eyes. Everything he was feeling was clearly reflected in them as he waited for her response. This strong, gentle man was waiting for her.

Her voice refused to work so she could only nod. A rough, yet gentle hand cupped the side of her face right before he placed a sweet kiss on her lips. Megumi knew that now it didn’t matter if she never found her family because her home and path lay with Kenshin Himura.

The End

I wrote this story about two years ago. I actually started writing it while I was sitting room at a doctor’s office and finished it later that night. While I was packing, I found it amongst some other papers and decided to post it.