Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Decided Bride ❯ The Queen and General ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10 ~The Queen and General

"Very well General, it is settled then," Queen Selenity said as she glanced up at the calm man from the papers they were reviewing. He smiled, nodded his head, and relaxed himself a little in his seat, as did the fatigued Queen.

He watched her as she sipped gently from the goblet that had been on the table in front of her. "I am surprised that everyone seems rather...calm around the palace," remarked Malachite, "considering there might be a wedding soon."

The Queen looked at him as she placed her goblet back on the table, wishing him to know how many times there 'almost was a wedding,' or what people hoped would be a wedding. "It is not the first time that a suitor has come here. We already have a routine, so to speak, in place." Was all she said.

He inclined his head gently to one side. "Is your daughter truly so picky?" he asked.

The Queen chuckled a little. "Yes and no. My daughter does not wish to marry the first man she sees, that's all. However, I am hopeful she will take a liking to your Prince. Endymion is a good man from what I have heard." Selenity hoped that the General would be able to shed a little more light on the young Prince. She knew enough about him to be sure she wasn't making a complete mistake about allowing him to come. However, there is always more you can learn about a person.

Malachite nodded his head thoughtfully. "He is, your Majesty. He is a fair ruler, and good to his people. He would treat your daughter well."

Selenity smiled. "That is good to hear. I have not seen the prince since he was a small baby, so I will have to see this for myself, but it is nice consolation."

She saw Malachite chuckle. "He needs a woman that will keep him on his toes" he said.

Selenity was intrigued. "What do you mean by that?" She asked in an amused voice.

"He needs a woman that won't only sit by his side and smile at the world and agree with everything he says. He needs someone who will talk back and take action," Malachite paused, not knowing how the Queen would take this information. "Granted, I would hate to see him with a woman that is controlling." He was rather surprised to her Selenity laugh at this.

"You need not have fear of that from my daughter. She may have a fiery spirit, but she is not controlling." Her smile was genuine. "If what you say is true, then perhaps this will not be such a bad match after all."

Malachite nodded, wondering what the future would hold. He too wanted peace. The Queen, still smiling, picked up one of the papers off the table and glanced at it. "I'm rather surprised that not very many people form Earth have come here yet, seeking work. Usually people from the planet from which the suitor is coming flock here."

Malachite smiled. "There is enough work to do on Earth right now, preparing for the voyage here, and hopefully the arrival of a new princess back." Selenity nodded her head, only hoping that their work was not in vain. "Oh, if your majesty would indulge me, I know of one man from Earth that has come here who would be interested in a job at the palace, perhaps in the stables since I know he is wonderful with horses..." he let his sentence trail off as the Queen nodded her head and looked back down to the papers and then back at his face as she started to speak.

"We need plenty of extra workers in the stables at times like this. I'll arrange for a position for him. You may tell him to report to the Master of Horses tomorrow, along with a letter I'll give you," she said as she started to write something on one of the blank slips of paper.

"Your majesty is too kind. I can already deliver his thanks," Malachite said with an odd smile of satisfaction on his face.

"Thank you General. I will tell the master of horse to expect him first thing tomorrow morning. What is his name?"

"Darien," Malachite said. "His name is Darien."

"Darien..." the Queen murmured as she scribbled the name down on a second slip of paper, a letter to the master of horses.