Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Ami ❯ Price of Vengeance: Recruited By A Devil ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Waking Ami

Chapter 9

Price of Vengeance: Recruited By A Devil!

PinaPoe

Juni lie resting against one of the walls in the overly large room. Ami was leaned up against her cradled in a protective embrace. Ami had started twitching in the last few minutes, a sure sign that the sleep spell she was under was wearing off. When Garoben had asked, the old man refused to tell her what had happened to Ami and the other girl. All he would say was that Ami would probably like someone by her side when she woke up. Not that Garoben or Juni needed the old man to tell them that, they would have been by the younger girls side no matter what. Juni had regained consciousness by then, and was worriedly waiting for her girlfriend to wake up.

"AAHH!" Ami awoke with a startled cry, expecting to be lying in the dirty alley that she had blacked out in. Juni instantly tightened her embrace and whispered reassurances to the girl trying to calm her down. Once she realized that she was no longer in danger, and that her girlfriend was holding her Ami spun around in Juni's arms and buried herself in the embrace. Once again she was safe, and cradled in strong familiar arms. Here she was able to cry, to let loose all of the emotion and stress the attack on her had caused.

"Shhh, It's ok sweetheart, just let it out. You're safe now. Everything is going to be alright." Juni continued trying to calm Ami, as she buried her face deeper into Juni's shoulder trying to muffle her sobs. Juni was thankful that she was here for Ami; whatever she had gone through had been very traumatizing. She would have been devastated if Ami had to face the aftermath alone. For now she placed gentle kisses on Ami's head, and struggled to hold back her own tears. She was not there to protect her, so she would be damned if she could not at least provide a strong shoulder for her to cry on.

When the tears finally subsided both women were hesitant to do anything but stay in their protective embrace. Unfortunately they could not, Ami needed to call her mom and let her know what happened. Juni needed to get back to her school. Truth be told, she really didn't care about that, but she would need to be there to lock up. Otherwise the other teachers would have to stay there until she arrived. Quickly glancing at her watch, she was relieved to note that she still had several hours before she needed to be there.

"Ami? How are you feeling honey?" Juni spoke in a soothing voice trying to get Ami talking. She hoped it would be easier for her girlfriend to handle what happened if she talked about it with someone. Ami responded by rubbing her face onto Juni's shoulder trying to dry the tears off her face. The older woman gently cradled Ami's head, and brought her into a light hug. This had a calming effect on the young genius. It was not long until her breathing started to even out and her sniffles disappeared.

"Those men… They… They were going to…" Ami mumbled the rest of what she was going to say.

"Please Ami, tell me what happened." Juni gently lifted Ami's chin so the young girl could look into her eyes and see that she was completely sincere. "I am here for you no mater what. Ok?"

"They tried to rape me." Ami finally admitted in a small voice. "And I think they killed the man who tried to save me. I should have run, but I… I just…" Tears again overcame the young girl as she slumped further into Juni's arms.

"Shhhh. The men are gone now, and the young "woman" who tried to save you is still alive." Juni was glad that Ami was not looking at her now. She had thought that her girlfriend was being mugged, she had no idea that the men had tried to rape her. Garoben was seething. Juni became frightened; the intensity of her companion's anger and hatred toward the men was becoming overwhelmingly intense. It was then that she felt Garoben take control.

"Ami?" Garoben took a deep breath to calm her voice. "Do you remember what these men looked like? Could you identify them if you saw them again?" Garoben gently nudged the genius in her arms. "Please Ami, this is very important. Can you remember what they looked like?" This time Garoben voice became a little more forceful.

"I, I think so." Ami pushed herself away from Juni, frightened by the vehemence in her girlfriend's voice.

The second Ami pictured the men in her mind Garoben pulled that thought from her and emblazoned it in her own memory. There was no way these men would get away with what they have done.

Seeing the fear in Ami's eyes. Garoben wisely relinquished control back to Juni. She had taken what she needed and there was no need to scare Ami. "I'm sorry Ami, I, I was just shocked I didn't know what they had tried to do. I didn't mean to be so forceful." Juni looked upon Ami with honest regret in her eyes, along with a hint of embarrassment. Not that she could control her companion; she still assumed responsibility for her actions.

"Forgive me?" Seeing the change for what it was Ami accepted her girlfriend's apology and returned to her arms. She placed a gentle kiss on her lips, a slight blush colored her tear-streaked face as she did so.

"Thank you for being here when I woke up. I don't know what I would have done without you."

Both women were content to stay in their protective embrace. Each was filled with different thoughts and feelings. Ami felt protected and safe, Juni felt sadness for her younger friend, but was glad that she was here to hold her and help her cope with the ordeal. Garoben, on the other hand had her mind focused on one thing and one thing only. Revenge!

"Ami?" Juni tried to nudge her dozing girlfriend into wakefulness. They had been lying there for the last hour and a half and both women had things they needed to do. Ami awoke after a few gentle pokes. She apologized for falling asleep on her teacher. The girl seemed much more collected than she did before. Juni took that as a good sign that Ami could easily get through this.

"Ami, you need to call your mother. She needs to know what happened." Juni looked uncomfortable for a second as she tried to continue. Finally fighting through her unease she was able to suggest what she should have when Ami first woke up. "Also, if you can identify these men we should go talk to the police."

The young genius looked to be very uncomfortable with this suggestion. Her skin turned pale as she started to shake her head no. "No… I do not ever want to see those men again." Ami's voice trembled as she continued. "Even if it would put them in jail, I, I just can't face them again."

"It's ok. You don't need to do anything you don't want to." Juni was disappointed in Ami's answer, but her companion was silently cheering. Without the protection of being in jail, these men would surely become her prey.

A few more moments passed, before Juni rose to take any action. "Ami, wait here I am going to get you some water and see if the priest will let me use his phone."

"Priest?"

"Oh!" Juni forgot that Ami probably had no idea how she got to where she was, or where she was for that matter. "An old Shinto priest found you and scared the three men away. He said you would say my name in your sleep and he looked me up in the phone book." Juni hated to lie to her friend, but it was an easier explanation than what had really occurred.

"Just wait here I'll be right back." Juni kissed her girlfriend on the head and made sure she was comfortable before she left to find the old man. As she searched for him Garoben's anger had increased tenfold knowing that he had let the men escape. Especially when she knew for a fact that had he wanted to he could have destroyed them.

Finally finding the old man, Garoben's anger was momentarily curbed as she saw him performing a minor healing spell on the young girl lying on a futon mattress in the center of the room. Only when the spell was finished and he seemed centered did the joined companions speak.

"How is she?" Juni asked motioning to the unconscious girl.

The small man shook his head wearily. "Not good. I healed most of her physical wounds, but her mind still thinks the damage is there." He paused for a moment to catch his breath. Even as powerful as he is, he had used an enormous amount of energies to heal the young woman from what was essentially the brink of death. "It will be a struggle for her mind and soul to recover. I will spend the next few days in guided meditation with her. I hope that might accelerate the recovery process."

"Do you know if she has anyone who will miss her the next few days? Or if the worst happens does she have a next of kin?""

The old man looked thoughtful for a moment. "I had not even considered that. I will do a brief mind scan to see what I can find."

Juni looked upon the old man with a bit of confusion. He was obviously tired and was pushing himself to the limit. Garoben couldn't help but wonder why. "Why is it that you are tying to save this girl? I thought you did not want to interfere with anything outside your granddaughter's best interests?"

"She risked her life to save your lover. If it weren't for her, your Ami would probably have been violated and worse. Since Ami will play an important role in my granddaughter's future I owe it to this young lady to repay her for the selflessness she has shown here."

A hard glint entered Juni's eyes as Garoben took over. "Speaking of that, I need to have words with you away from her." As soon as they left the healing girl's room Garoben turned upon the old man. "If you knew what those men were doing why did you allow them to flee? You say you want to protect Ami for your granddaughter's sake? Then why did you let her attackers get away with what they had done?" Even though she was trying to remain respectful, Garoben's voice was laced with judgment and anger.

The old mans eyes turned a brilliant colored white and took on an ethereal glow. Juni and her companion felt their body locked up and forced into a kneeled bow. "Second daughter of Pluto, you think I afford you the kindness I have shown for your sake? The only reason you are not dead like the many other Yoma that have crossed my path is that I wish for you to keep your lover safe." As the psychic hold on the two companions tightened Juni began to panic as she felt an increase in the crushing pressure.

"I will not have you question ANYTHING I do." By this time the old man was glowing, and his demeanor had become very threatening. He was not playing around, and Garoben realized the mistake she had made. Just like her, this man was still an evil creature. Regardless that he decided to live his life as a kindly priest, it did not change the fact that a demon lurks underneath the masquerade. "Is that understood?"

A burning pain washed through Juni and her companion's body. The burning became so intense that the companions had little choice but to comply with the greater demon before them. "Of course lord JiJi, please… forgive my impudence." Just when it felt like they would loose consciousness the pain subsided.

"Good, now what is it you wanted from me?" The old priest lost his fierce glow and his demeanor seemed to gentle as well.

Juni coughed and wearily tried to stand up again. She felt as if she was just recovering from an intense fever. "Can I please use a telephone? I need to contact Ami's mother."

The old man smiled as he turned back to his patient's room. "It's in the gift shop at the front of the temple." Before he left he turned back and winked at her. "And call me Grandpa Hino."

Entering the room Grandpa Hino snuck a quick glance at the bewildered dual being standing dazed in the hallway. He chuckled lightly as he returned to Makoto's side. He needed to keep Garoben off-balanced and cowed. That was the way of the Yoma after all, the strong ruled the weak. On top of that it had been over one hundred years since he had assumed his demonic form. He needed to make certain that he still maintained the power he once held. Especially if he wanted to avoid the grim fate the temple fires foretold for him.

Juni returned to find Ami with her knees drawn to her chest. The young girl had a blank look in her eyes as she stared into the white of the walls. Juni studied her for a moment feeling again the pangs of guilt that she had somehow failed this girl by not being there for her. She knew of course that these feelings were unwarranted that there honestly was not anything she could have done. That is what her mind told her at least, her heart; well that was a different story.

Reaching a hand down to her student Juni drew her up into a comforting embrace. Ami desperately burrowed into it thankful for the caring presence of her teacher. Loosing herself in the feeling of comfort the young genius almost didn't notice the heat radiating from her teacher.

"Juni!! Are you all right? You are burning with fever." Ami broke their embrace and reached to check her teacher's skin. Sure enough it was very feverish. "What happened to you? You were fine a minute ago."

Juni, who was definitely feeling the effects of the old man's lesson could not rebuff Ami's concerns. "I don't know I just started feeling ill. I think I should go once your mother gets here and make sure I am feeling well by tomorrow." Ami looked crestfallen when Juni mentioned her departure. "I would stay if I could Ami. But, your mother is a very smart woman, and I keep wanting to hold you."

The older woman looked down at the floor before continuing. "I think she could put two and two together. Besides you don't need the added stress of that right now." Juni felt like crap. Both because of what the old man had done to her, and because she was here trying to make excuses to leave as soon as possible and she couldn't control it. For some reason her companion wanted to leave as soon as possible, and was saying whatever she could to make that happen.

"You are right. I… I should go call her." Juni clasped Ami's hand as they went to find the phone. Neither woman spoke, Juni out of guilt and Ami because she knew that Juni was hiding something, but she didn't want to push it. She just hoped that she had a good reason for it and that she would tell her eventually. When they did find the phone Juni moved to leave so Ami could have some privacy, but Ami gave her a pleading glance to stay. Juni acquiesced and wrapped her arms around Ami, leaning her younger girlfriend's back into her chest.

__________________________________________________________

"Hey, Mizuno? Hey, are you ok? You seem kind of out of it." Kenjo Itora turned to his partner who sat next to him in their ambulance. Not getting an answer the younger man shrugged it off and continued as if nothing were wrong. "Hey we get an hour break here in a few minutes and we haven't got any calls. So, ah you wanna go get something to eat or something?"

Ayanee turned to face her partner. Her mind had been wandering and she only now acknowledged him. "If it's all the same can you take me back to the hospital?" Kenjo flashed his partner a perplexed look. Ayanee did not respond, forcing him to verbally pursue answers.

"You wanna go see how those two we took in are doing, right?" Kenjo was getting annoyed. His partner of the last few months has shown absolutely no interest in any of the patients they helped aside from professional courtesy. Now, for some reason ever since they picked up the admittedly bizarre couple Ayanee's thoughts have not been in the game.

"What's going on with you Mizuno? I have no problem taking you back to the hospital, but I kinda wanna know why." Ayanee obviously looked like she didn't want to talk about it, and the look she was giving him was telling him it was none of his business. "Look, You haven't been here all afternoon and if something happens I need you to be able to handle it and not be distracted thinking about those two."

"Don't question my competence Itora. If something happened I would focus completely on that."

"Well that's good to know. So c'mon why are you so interested in those two? Wait a second…" A sly grin appeared on Kenjo's face as he turned to tease his partner. "Don't tell me you're "interested" in that guy?"

Kenjo meant it as a joke to tease the woman that the other EMT's referred to as the Ice Queen. He was going to drop it, especially since he was the only one who could get away with teasing her and even then he could only go so far. The problem was, is that he caught a faint blush on the cheeks of the woman beside him. It was quickly hidden, but he definitely saw it.

::OH my!:: "You are aren't you?" The younger man's smile widened and his eyes sparkled with mischief as a wonderful piece of gossip was presented to him. Many of the other EMT's and paramedics have wondered about his often cold and closed partner. More than one man had asked him to try and dig for some information about her personal life, and for a way to hook them up with her. All the months he worked with her and he had not gotten anything. Heck, he wouldn't even say they had even become all that friendly. The best reaction he was able to get from her was a slight leniency on his occasional jokes about her.

"It's not like that." Ayanee spoke in a cool quiet tone. "Just drop it, alright?"

Kenjo could see that something was clearly bothering his partner, something beyond his teasing. "Yeah, sure. Hey I'll just get us back there ok?" Although he liked to occasionally tease her, the younger man had no desire to hurt her or make her angry. He could tell that any continuous jibes on his part would lead to that, so the trip back to the hospital was spent in silence.

As they arrived at the hospital, Ayanee had no sooner logged them in when her name was called over the intercom. Making her way to the back desk where the EMT's and paramedics reported, Ayanee asked one of the secretaries what the page was about. The bored looking woman handed her a phone telling her it was some girl and it sounded urgent.

The older woman immediately snatched up the phone thinking that something had happened to Ami. A few words later she practically ran to the doctor in charge of her shift and told him she had a family emergency and needed to leave now. He was about to question her about it, but saw the obvious fear and stress in her eyes so he let her go.

In moments she was suited up and tearing down the road on her motorcycle. All thoughts of the mysterious man and the hauntingly beautiful pink haired woman became forgotten.

__________________________________________________________

"How did it go?" Juni asked tiredly as she leaned her back against the wall, Ami still resting up against her. The older woman's fever wasn't getting any better and she was having a hard time standing up. Ami still needed her support however, and neither Garoben nor Juni were going to let her down.

"Not good. Of course she is over reacting, but I cannot blame her. She is on her way here now." Ami pushed herself a little deeper into Juni's embrace. This inadvertently pressed her cheek up onto her teachers exposed cleavage. Ami started to blush in embarrassment until she noticed just how bad her girlfriend's fever was getting.

The young genius immediately turned around to face the woman holding her. Juni's face was horribly flushed and sweat was building heavily upon her forehead. It didn't take a doctor to see the woman was barely standing. Ami was both touched that Juni was still trying to support her, but more so she was concerned for her health. "Wait here I am going to find the priest, maybe he has something that can help you."

As Ami turned to leave Juni reached out to clasp her shoulder. "No, he is helping the other girl right now. I will be fine, I… I just need a glass of water."

"Are you sure?" Ami questioned her teacher's wisdom, but didn't want to offend her by ignoring her request.

Juni nodded so Ami quickly went to find some water. When she returned she found her girlfriend slumped wearily in the single chair of the closed gift shop. Smiling weakly Juni downed the glass of water and motioned for Ami to sit with her. The younger girl declined, not wanting to strain her teacher by sitting on her lap. Instead she kneeled beside her and rest her head upon the exhausted woman's lap. Juni was content with the compromise and sat in silence while she ran her fingers through her girlfriend's silky black hair.

Both women had soon dozed off, only to be awakened twenty minutes later. At first both were disoriented and a bit startled by the noises outside the store. It was not until Ami heard someone frantically calling for her that she realized her mother was outside. Ami turned up to her friend and cringed sheepishly. Her mother was sounding like someone was in mortal danger. "I'll be right back." Ami gently kissed her girlfriends lap and left to go calm her mother.

"Mom?" Ami walked out of the small gift kiosk she was resting in to see her mother frantically running toward the main temple. Ayanee turned at hearing Ami's voice. Upon spotting her daughter a relived look crossed her features.

Juni remained resting on the seat in the gift shop. She was getting worse, and now she knew what it was. Not only was it the after effects of the old man's spell, it was also symptoms of an energy drain. In short, she needed to feed in mass amounts and soon. Garoben had never been this low on energy before, but had read about the effects. The fever would only get worse eventually drying out her body into a living husk, and when the last drop was gone she would crumble into dust. Needless to say that wasn't an option either occupant of the shared body wanted to entertain.

Composing herself as much as she could the exhausted teacher struggled out of her chair and toward the door. She walked outside to find Ayanee checking Ami over for any trauma. Ami was blushing slightly insisting that she was not even bruised. Not now anyway, Garoben had taken care of that earlier. Although she didn't find it important to let Ami know the full extent of the attack.

Upon noticing the teacher leaving the gift shop Ayanee stopped her fussing over her daughter. Walking up to Juni, Ayanee bowed deeply. "Thank you very much Asagai-sensei for being here for Ami. I appreciate that greatly, and I won't forget it." Ayanee arose from her bow to look the younger teacher in the eyes. "If there is anything I can do to repay you for saving my daughter please let me know. If Ami had been… If Ami had been hurt I don't know what I would do." Ami's mother chocked back her tears, not wanting to cry in front of anyone except her daughter.

Juni struggled to return the bow. To both Mizuno's the teacher looked completely composed and healthy. In reality though, it was taking all her incredible will power not to show any weakness. She knew Ayanee would insist on caring for her, and if she were with her then she wouldn't be able to feed.

"I was happy to be here for your daughter. I did not save her though, that was the head priest of this temple." Juni had to pause a second to catch her breath. Ayanee didn't recognize the action for what it was, Ami did however. "He is in the main part of the temple and is awaiting you."

Nodding slightly the young teacher began to leave. "If you will please excuse me I must be returning to my school." As Ayanee was once again bowing her thanks Juni gave her young student an apologetic glance.

"Ju… Sensei are you sure you are alright?"

"I will see you tomarrow Miss. Mizuno." Brushing off her girlfriends concern and blocking out Ayanee's continued thanks Juni wearily made her way to her car.

"That was strange. I guess she is in a hurry to get back to work." Commented Ayanee. "Although she does seem the type to be very dedicated. I can't believe she was able to come out here and make sure you were ok. Well' c'mon honey let's go find the priest and thank him as well."

Ami hugged her mom who was uncharacterisacly babaling. Although Ami was a mess when she first woke up, she was doing a lot better now. At the moment her mother seemed to be in a worse state than she was. As the duo headed tword the main temple Ami flushed in emarassment realizing that she had not even seen the old priest or the young, "woman" not man, that saved her.

Just as the two set foot into the temple a boisterous, very short, old man greeted them. "Hello ladies come in, come in I was expecting you." The two Mizuno's exchanged befudled glances as the hyper man herded them tword a sitting table. "Please have a seat I'll bring some tea. I hope you like it, I am quite fond of it myself you know."

The old man turned to leave but stopped comically mid spin. He refaced the two bewildered women with a huge grin plastered across his face. "Ah where are my manners I am the head priest of this temple. Everyone calls me Grandpa Hino and I insist that you do so as well." With that he quickly turned back around to fetch the tea.

"He certainly is a, uhm, hyper old guy isn't he?" Ayanee asked her daughter, not really sure what to make of the comical fellow.

"Mom, I think he was staring at your legs." Ami blushed.

"Yeah, I kinda thought that too." Ayanee paused as an uncomfortable thought crossed her mind. "How long were you alone with this guy?"

Ami blanched a little at what her mother was suggesting. "Not long… At least I do not think so. J… Sensei was there when I woke up though, and I get the feeling she was with me for awhile."

"Thank the goddess for that at least." The older Mizuno started to say something else, but was silenced by a nudge to her ribs from her daughter.

"Ah sorry, I hope I didn't take to long?" Grandpa Hino looked expectantly at the two women waiting for some sort of response. He sighed when all he received were confused looks. Ignoring his disapointment the old man placed his favorite tea set upon the table and proceeded to serve his two guests. The two women thanked him before the three of them sipped their tea in silence.

Ayanee was for lack of a better word, uncomfortable. When she first walked into the main area of the temple she was fully intent on thanking whatever wonderfull priest had saved her daughter. Now she finds that he is a lecherous old man that has not stopped staring at either of them since the second she saw him.

"Uhm… I want to thank you for helping my daughter."

"Great!" The old man suddenly shouted. "Then perhaps you would be willing to do me a… Favor."

Both Mizuno's paled a bit and unconsciously scooted closer to each other.

"The young woman who stepped in between your daughter and her attackers has someone that needs to be notified of her condition. I need you to please find this young man. I would do it, but I don't have a car."

Ayanee was taken aback by the old man's request for a moment. That was not what she was expecting him to say. As a matter of fact he seemed totally serious now, like she had imagined everything from before. She had to backpeddle a moment to review what he had asked for, that is when it hit her.

"Condition? Is she ok? Where is she?" As Ayanee shouted questions, Ami realized that even though the other woman had helped her she had no idea as to what had happened to her. She suddenly remembered the beating she was taking and it didn't take a genius to know that the girl could not be in very good shape.

"Can I see her?" Ami timedly asked. "I have not had the opportunity to thank her for what she has done for me."

The old man solemly shook his head. I am afraid that she will not be able to see you. She took quite a beating and has yet to wake up, you see. I have done what I can so far, but it will be a long while before she fully recovers.

"Goddess! Why isn't she in a hospital?" Ayanee was angry that the old man would have the girl here if she were in such poor condition.

"Because I can better treat her here than even the best doctors in the world could." The old priest commented casually as if it were obvious. "Besides she is a vagrant and would only get paltry care at a third rate hospital at best."

"I would like to see her." Ayanee demanded. Ami stayed quiet, not quite sure how to react in this situation.

"I assure you my methods are effective, and I act in a proffesional manner around this girl." The comment answered both of Ayanee's unvoiced acusations.

"I do not wish to insult you sir, but I would like to see her for myself. I do have a medical background."

A brief flash of annoyance crossed the priest's face, but was quickly masked. Sometimes it was hard to be good. Over the last several hundred years he had carefully crafted his personality, one that most people would not take seriously. It was good to seem unthreatening; less people took notice of you. But certain times, like now when he was tired and had to make plans on what to do about the unexpected appearance of another youma and Senshi. Times like this it was very hard to forget who he is and what he could do. Two thousand years ago had someone questioned him or offended him in eaven the slightest matter, he would have killed them without a second thought. Now, he just had to endure it, for his granddaughter's sake. He owed her at least that much.

"This way then." Taking the lead, the old man quickly guided the two women to Makoto's room. Upon arriving, he cracked open the screen leading into it and whispered a quick incantation before allowing his companions in.

Seeing her defendor lying there wrapped in bandages and looking so weak and fragile hurt Ami. She couldn't understand why this girl would risk what she did to save her. Why was she worth saving, especially at the price so obviously paid? Ami walked over to the older girl lying on the ground and took a seat next to her. Ayanee on the other hand immediately began an assesment of the girl's condition.

As she was thouroughly examining the girl, Ayanee started to feel exhausted like her energy was just melting away. After a minute more, despite the fact that she has barely started her assesment Ayanee decided that the girl was indeed in good hands and that she should go home to get some rest. She was exhausted after all, and it would probably be good for Ami to get home as well.

Slightly confused by her mother's sudden lack of intrest in her patient, Ami was hesitant to leave. She understood however that her mom wouldn't let her stay by herself. Still, Ami knew that she would find a way to get her mother to let her come back. Maybee if Juni came with her? Those were thoughts for another time however. It was getting late, and her mother looked exhausted. They really needed to go home and get some rest.

As the Mizono's drove away the old man smiled slightly to himself. He had successfully manipulated the annoying woman's mind and got a little snack at the same time. Normally he avoided feeding upon people's energy, mainly because it became addictive. Today however he felt justified, that and he really wanted the woman to leave. Had she stayed she would have asked too many questions.

Now that he was alone again, the old man summoned the two ravens that had helped him earlier. Within seconds the two magnificent birds landed upon his shoulder. The old priest took them into his temple where he quickly scrawled a short note. "Here, I need you to take this to where I direct you. Make sure that the young man does not see you." One of the ravens opened its mouth and clamped down on the note the old man handed it.

Walking back outside JiJi watched as the two birds left to deliver his message.

_______________________________________________________________ ___

::Do you know what those men were going to do to her? Do you understand what could have happened?::

"I… I know but they didn't actually…"

::Regardless, they tried!!! And they will do it again because they are still out there.::

"The police…"

::Will what? We have no evidence. We even healed the damage done to Ami, and the other girl is physically healed as well.::

"But, I can't just… We can't just…"

::Can't what? Get revenge? Justice? We can't prevent these men from doing this again? Why?::

"Because it's wrong! I am not a vigilante. It is not my place to judge them."

::So what? Are you going to let them get away with this? They were going to rape our Ami!! They were going to casually brutalize her and then they were going to kill her.::

"But… I… I just…"

::Look at you! Quit crying! You are pathetic. Our girlfriend was almost raped! They beat her and probably killed the other girl that tried to help her. That girl doesn't even know Ami, let alone claim to love her.::

"What do you mean, claim? OF COURSE I LOVE HER! She… She is everything to me."

::So you say. And yet, a stranger has given her life for her. While you sit here and cry.::

::Sniff:: "What do you want from me. What can I do?"

::WE find them and we make them pay.::

"How? We don't even know where they are? And even if we did, then what? How do you plan on punishing them?"

::Does it matter?::

"I… I don't know."

::What's the matter? You are a coward, and you don't love Ami. A total stranger shows her more concern than you do.::

"That's not true!! I do love her I… I… What do you want me to do?"

::Give me absolute control of your mind, body, and soul. Don't worry I will give it back. Once I do what needs to be done.::

"Ok… Do it." ::I do love you Ami.::

::It is done!::

Juni's eyes glazed over for a moment before they cleared exposing newly red pupils. An evil smile crossed her fevered lips. Juni wasn't in charge anymore, and it felt great. Garoben let out a brief laugh as she switched gears and spun her car around. Shouts and the blasting of horns faded as she sped through the streets already on the trail of her prey.

________________________________________________________

"Damn you're ugly."

"Shut up man, she didn't leave you looking too pretty either. Fuck all that though, at least we got away from that, that thing."

"What the hell was it anyways?"

"I don't know man! I'm just happy to be out of the damn emergency room. Hey! What the Fu…"

The man didn't finish his sentence as a silver sports car hit him while he was crossing the driveway in front of the hospital. He flew over the hood and slammed into the windshield shattering it before it sent him up into the air to land some fifteen feet away. He was still alive, but at the moment he really wished he wasn't.

Shouts came from the hospital as people scrambled to get to the man and call the police. The two men lucky enough to dodge the car ran tword it to see who was responsible for running down their friend. Reaching the car one of the men yanked open the door and pulled the woman from the front seat.

"Hey you can't do that!! Let the police deal with her." Some of the bystandards moved to stop the manhandling of the reckless driver. Their protests were stopped when the other punk pulled a gun on them.

"This bitch ran over our friend. And we`ll do whatever the hell we want. Now get back."

The man holding the driver slammed her up against the car and punched her in the stomache. "What do you have to say to that bitch?" He punctuated his question with another punch to her gut.

The man stopped for a second as the woman actually smiled. "I think… I think that you should not have attacked those girls today." The man had a puzzled look on his face when the woman slowly reached out to caress his cheek.

"AAHHHHHHHH!!!!" One of the onlookers screamed causing the man with the gun to turn around just in time to see his friend get turned into the human equivilant of a raisin. Shocked the man started trembling and fired a shot at the woman holding his friends corpse.

She flashed him a demonic smile as the shot flew wide missing her by a few feet. The man was about to fire again when his buddy's body slammed into him taking him to the floor. Scrambaling out from underneath the corpse, the man reached for his gun wich he had dropped. He could here screams and sirens, but none of that concerned him at the moment. He almost reached his weapon when a bare foot suddenly kicked it away from him.

"Huh?" The man looked up to see the same evil grin on the woman looking down at him. It looked all the more demonic due to the coating of blood covering her face, no doubt caused by her shattered windshield. It was then that for the second and last time in his life that he was personally witness to a true demon.

The woman's skin turned a dark color and seemed to become leathery in texture, as this transformation begun a loud ripping sound followed by a hideous roar pierced the night. The woman's clothes ripped off her body as it grew in size. Moments later the woman was replaced by a truly devilish-looking monster. It stood over seven feet tall with blood-red skin and large spines piercing through her back and shoulders. Those in and of themselves were intimidating, but not nearly as much as her massive clawed hands. The creature looked down upon the man and laughed. Its face had also transformed to have spiky quill like hair, long thin eyebrows, and razer sharp fangs.

The man screamed thinking he was as good as dead. The sound of gunfire shut him up and gave him the drive to try and flee. The demon watched him for a second before turning to see who had fired upon her. Two police cars had shown up and the officers stood sheltered behind the vehicles, their guns drawn and shaking in fear. The demon looked at the ground to see the bullets that had bounced harmlessly off of her.

One of the more seasoned officers gathered his wits and fired again, this time at her head. In the blink of an eye the demon's arm transformed into a giant battle-axe. She used this to deflect the bullet. Now enraged the demon charged the police who immediately turned and fled. Not wanting to hurt them, but at the same time wanting to scare them enough to stay gone the demon used her axe hand to cut open the feul tank of one of the squad cars. Then with little strain she proceded to single handedly flip the car into the air tword the fleeing officers.

Mid flight the car's fuel ignited causing the vehicle to explode. The pieces rained down upon the police and the few remaining onlookers. As Garoben predicted no one was seriously injured, but neither were they in a hurry to chase her down. Satisfied that they were no longer a threat the demon turned to resume her hunt for the remaining two men.

Spotting the man that had shot at her she pounced upon him. He had tried to run earlier, but the corpse of his friend had caused him to twist his ankle when he fell. He screamed as the demon grabbed him by the head and lifted him into the sky. By the time he was fully ascended he too was nothing more than a dried husk. All of his life's energy had transferred from him into the vengeful demon, fueling her already tremendous power.

Demon she may be, Garoben was still smart enough to know that she couldn't leave any evidence that Juni was the one who had done this. When she first started the attack she was near dead from lack of energy and wasn't thinking straight. Now however more energized than she had been in years the demon quickly thought of a way to cover herself in this hasty attack. She wasn't worried about anyone tracing the car to her, as it wasn't registered. Still it had her prints all over it.

Plan in mind the demon grabed her ruined clothes and the corpses of her two victims and shoved them into her car. She could hear more sirens in the distance and knew she had to work. Using her axe hand, she once again split open the gas tank of the car. This time she used her freshly charged powers to cause it to explode. Knowing that the flames alone wouldn't destroy all the evidence she fueled the flames with her own energy. This caused them to burn at impossible temperatures. Hot enough to melt metal and turn the vehicle into an unidentifiable hunk of slag.

Satisfied that no one would be able to disern anything from the wreck, the demon turned toward the man that she had run down earlier. She found him where she had left him, only now he was conveniently strapped into a stretcher. The paramedics who put him in it had abandoned him in order to save their own lives. It was just a matter of walking over to him before he too was a husk being tossed into the hungry flames.

Garoben watched for a moment as the flames consumed the last man's corpse. Inside herself she could feel Juni weeping at what had occurred, and what she was forced to do. Regardless of how her host viewed it Garoben needed to do something, she could not let Ami's assault go unavenged. Satisfied that her version of justice was served the large demon turned to leave. She paused for a moment as she felt a faint ripple of energy. Extending her senses she tried to identify it without success. Just as she was about to dismiss it as her imagination the form of a man materialized out of the darkness before her. Garoben gasped and her blood ran cold, even though he looked different she recognized him immediately.

Before her stood a nightmare from her past. The man stood six foot three, with an athletic build and an air of cruel confidence about him. He was dressed in a pair of gray pants, and complementing black leather boots that looked to be a part of a uniform. He wore no shirt, and his exposed body was covered with dry and wet blood that almost masked a myriad of twisted scars. From what Garoben remembered of this man they were probably self-inflicted. His banishment to Earth by Serenity did nothing to diminish his evil aura. If anything, it seemed to increase it.

Quickly going over her options, Garoben decided that flight and fight were not options. This man was Jadeite, one of the Lady Beryl's four generals. He was easily one of the most powerful beings to ever follow the dark kingdom; his power rivaled even that of lord JiJi. Sge knew her only chance in surviving this encounter was in a successful parlay.

Casting her gaze to the ground Garoben wanted to seem meek and subservient. "Lord Jadeite. It is a pleasant surprise to see you alive after all these years."

"Yes." The man seemed to vanish from Garoben's sight for a moment, only to reappear directly next to her. He held a bored expression, but his eyes were filled with disgust and loathing. He seemed to be looking at her as if she were a piece of trash or something equally distasteful. "I'm sure you are thrilled."

The man's overly close proximity was making Garoben extremely uncomfortable, scared even. True this man had once been a lover, but that was close to two thousand years ago. At that time the man was human. Younger brother to Prince Endymion, and easily one of the most beautiful men she had ever met. He had seemed to be the perfect catch. It was this beautiful charmer who's words and charisma led her to join Lady Beryl. For him she had sold her soul and betrayed her family, to their deaths.

Soon after the war against Serenity began, Jadeite had begun to change. He became cold at first and then over time he became cruel and sick. The power that he obtained from the Dark Kingdom had corrupted him, or perhaps it had just awakened a part of him that was always there. In the end, did the reason for his cruelty really matter? The two of them parted ways soon after, but not before he left her with a few scars to remember him by. Had she the ability to return to Serenity's side she would have, but when one swore allegiance to the dark kingdom it changed you, not only in body, but also in soul.

After retreating to the darkness, Garoben would occasionally seek out information on her former lover. It seemed that he had taken to the dark power quite well. It in turn fuelled him and he became the strongest of the four generals that led Lady Beryl's forces. If it weren't for his frequent bouts of insanity and his insatiable blood lust, he would have led them. The last she had heard of him, he had perished in the final attack against Serenity herself. Apparently though, according to lord JiJi, he as well the rest of the four generals had been reincarnated in this time.

General Jadeite had changed drastically from the last time Garoben was in this man's company. Even in the time of the silver millennium he was easily one of the most powerful warriors alive. Now being in his presence even a few seconds was enough to reveal a strength and dark aura that not only rivaled lord JiJi's, it surpassed it.

Before she could react the dark generals hand closed around her face. She tried to scream as his fingers dug into her flesh and effortlessly lifted her from the floor.

"Come now, I wish to have a word with you… In private." Pure absolute terror filled the centuries old demon. Her chances of seeing tomorrow just ended.

_____________________________________________________________

Juni awoke to an incredible pain. She cried out as her slightest movement caused her entire body to scream out in agony. Trying to focus, the young teacher who was once again in control of her "human" body, attempted to take stock of her situation. She was restrained, that much was obvious. Her wrists and neck were held in leather straps attached to sturdy looking chains. These held her up in a kneeling position, which accounted for part of her discomfort. The pain she was feeling originated mostly from her back. She could not see it, but knew that it was really bad due to the blood she could see dried on her stomach and pooled underneath her.

She was scared, terrified. The battered woman struggled to remember what had happened to her. When she could not recall anything past meeting the horrifying man, she could not help but feel relief. Seeing her nude body, covered with bruises, welts, and dried blood, she was somewhat thankful that she wouldn't have to relive the torture she obviously endured.

"Are you still there?" Juni struggled to voice the question, hoping that her companion could take charge of this situation. The teacher waited for a moment but did not receive a response. Panicking, Juni frantically tried to feel the presence of her companion somewhere in her mind. She did not know whether to be relieved or even more frightened when she felt her companion, most likely unconscious in the back of her mind.

Struggling to hold back her panic and tears Juni realized that now was not the time to fall apart. She needed to find a way out of here. Even as she started looking for a way to escape a nagging thought pulled at her. ::After what I allowed HER to do, after what I did to those men, do I even have a right to get out of this? Do you have a right to continue on as if nothing happened? Do I have a right to live?::

An image of Ami alone and in tears effectively shelved the battered woman's train of thought. Whether it was her own selfish needs to see her girlfriend, or a real deep concern for her well-being Juni didn't know. Especially after what she had just done, she hoped it was the latter, but she didn`t know herself anymore. The Juni she knew would not have allowed the massacre of three men.

She was about to continue looking for an escape route when her companion suddenly awoke screaming in her mind. ::Give me control! Hurry, if he sees your body and not mine he will kill us!::

Juni hesitated for a moment, until she heard footsteps coming from outside the room she was held in. Fear fueled her as she traded places allowing her companion to once again transform their body into that of a demon. Oddly enough, as the transform took place the chains binding them grew to match their new size. Both Juni and Garoben let out a sigh of frustration. Now they could not even attempt to put up any defense, not that it would have done anything.

The demon struggled to her feet as the large stone door of her prison slid open. If she were to die here she would do it on her feet. Her eyes widened as the man Jadeite entered the room. He had changed his clothes since the torture. He was now dressed in a gray uniform covered by an old German trench coat. Its origins were obvious due to the Nazi symbols and war medals proudly displayed upon it.

"Ah, you are still standing." The uniformed man trailed his cold blue eyes up and down the battered body of the nude demon. His eyes lingered upon her sex and then her breasts. A hungry smile graced his features as he brought his gaze to her eyes.

"It has been some time my Lady Garoben" He crisply walked behind her, his stance and steps betraying a military upbringing. Garoben cringed as his hands grasped her buttocks. She cried out when they trailed up to her shredded back.

"Such lovely screams." The dark general whispered into Garoben's ear as she once again fell to her knees. One of his hands reached around her and roughly grabbed her breast as he bit into her right ear. The Demon roared in pain as the man's fingers and teeth drew blood. "If it wasn't for that foul human you bonded with, I would make you mine again."

He suddenly withdrew from the rough embrace, his voice turning from lustful to cold. "But, because you did I will treat you the same as the other vile Yoma who betrayed the Dark
Kingdom to live amongst the pathetic humans."

Garoben roared and shrieked as the General dug his fingers into two gashes on her back. He the pulled down tearing two strips of flesh from her dark red hide. The pain was unbearable. Garoben almost blacked out, the only thing that kept her conscious was the thought of dying without seeing her Ami. She had to see her again no matter what.

The torn demon could feel the presence of the twisted General leave, only to see him reappear in front of her. Garoben's eyes widened, locking on the two long strips of flesh held in the General's hand. Seeing her eying herself in his hands the dark warrior held back a laugh as he held it out for her to see. "I will add these to my tapestry. That in turn will bind you to my service."

Garoben paled from shock, pain, and loss of blood. True she might live to see tomorrow, but it was only a matter of time before she would cease to be of use to the man before her. Her death was a matter of fact.

"Now then listen to what I have to say as I won't repeat myself." The Generals fist lashed out crushing the demon's nose and causing her to see stars. "And if you fail, you will loose a slight bit more than your flesh."

______________________________________________________________< /div>

Author's notes::

I deeply apologize for the tardiness of this chapter. I had hit a severe case of writers block for a while there. I hope it will not take as long to deliver the next chpt. As it is this one was cut short to allow me to post something. The next two or three chapters will leave all the dark stuff behind and will be more slice of life tales and from there the story will go on to it's conclusion.

I wanted to make Jadeite seem imposing and insane. He is the only one of the four generals to have completely embraced the dark kingdom. I think the story I do after Waking Ami will be a short story about him during his time as a Nazi and his eventual defeat by Steve Rodgers and his partner the mysterious Soldier V. After that I will continue on with the plot begun here.

Thanks again for all the reviews I was super happy with all the replies I received for chapter eight.

Questions? Comments? You can reach me at poepah@yahoo.com

Next chapter 10 Healing, A Month In The Life.