Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Ami ❯ Life's Decisions: A Month In The Life ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Waking Ami

Chapter 12

Life's Decisions: A Month In The Life

PinaPoe

"Well, I am exhausted." Fiore exclaimed as he crashed into the futon that he shared with his friend. They had been provided separate ones, but it was more comfortable for them to share the bed. Ever since the first night they made love, they had always slept together. And that is all it was, for them it was comforting to feel the other cuddled against them.

Makoto smiled at her friend as she gathered some fresh clothes to change into now that she was done with her bath. "It was a lot of fun though wasn't it?"

Fiore remained enveloped in the futon stretched out with his eyes closed. "It was, I think Ami was completely shocked. Did you see how red she got when she realized what was going on?"

"From what she told me, this was her first birthday in years that she had anyone besides her mom show up. I can`t believe she's only fifteen. She seems so much more mature than that." Makoto paused a moment to stretch out a bit, she gasped slightly as she felt her back pop a little. "Y`know, it was really cool of my boss to put all of this together, but why did she make me take the credit?" The tall brunette unwrapped the towel from around her body and, wrapped a thin robe around her. She started gathering a change of clothes for Fiore as well.

"She only did that, because she doesn't want her mom to know how "close" she and Ami really are."

Makoto sighed as she padded across the room and took a seat next to her friend. She neatly folded his change of clothes and set them next to him. The young man opened his eyes at the weight shift on the futon. Mako looked at him for a moment, an unreadable expression briefly crossing her features. "They really do make a cute couple don't they?" The brunette turned away from her friend and stared at her hands which lye neatly folded in her lap.

Fiore could tell that his friend was starting to feel sorry for herself. He knew that she longed to find a love of her own. He had been there to help her pick up the pieces after her last two failed attempts at happiness. "Yes, they do. What do you think of them, not as a couple but individually?" Makoto gasped in pleasure as she felt Fiore's hands start kneading her shoulders. She moaned as she felt shots of energy traveling into her body. She always loved whenever her friend would massage her. His special powers allowed him to add a little something extra to it. "You're really tense today."

The taller girl sighed as she leaned back into his touch. She smiled in anticipation as she felt her robe gently removed. Fiore then had her lay down on her belly so he could give her a full back massage. It was rare that she was treated to that, so she hastily got into position. She didn't talk for a while; the only sounds she was able to make were a few hedonistic moans.

As the massage continued Mako began to think about what she thought of Ami and her boss. "I like my boss a lot. She seems pretty cool, especially outside of school. At school for some reason she gets all bitchy. One thing I do notice though, is that she is just a little bit over protective of Ami."

Fiore was just finishing massaging the bottoms of his friends feet when he motioned her to flip over. The tall brunette smiled widely. Full back massages were rare, and full body massages were almost non-existent. Makoto could only recall two other times when she was treated to this. ::If I'm lucky, he'll let me return the favor.:: Makoto mused.

Once again lost in the wonderfully relaxing sensations of the massage Makoto almost forgot what she was talking about. "It's strange, when I first met Ami I felt like I already knew her. It's like a zing passed through me when I first saw her. I feel that way when I'm talking to her too. It just seems like I've known her forever, and I feel like I can talk to her about anything." A surprised gasp escaped her lips as the massage progressed from her shoulders to her breasts.

A faint blush covered Makoto as she thoroughly enjoyed her friend's firm ministrations. She glanced a peek at him, but sighed in disappointment. He was really focused on the massage, and although she kind of hoped other wise it wouldn't lead into anything else unless she really pushed for it. The thought did appeal to her, but she quelled it knowing that she would feel guilty about taking advantage of her friend.

"She invited me out to lunch next week. I.. I think that we'll be good friends. It feels good to say that y'know. Besides you, I haven't called anyone my friend for a long time." She opened her eyes and gazed at Fiore for a moment. "Except you've been so much more than a friend to me for a long time now."

Neither of the friends spoke after that. Makoto became lost in Fiore's touch, and he lost in massaging out all the tension the powerful woman under him acquired throughout the last several months. When the massage had finished Fiore used his powers to turn off the lights. The two friends forwent clothing and snuggled tightly together. Fiore knew that Makoto needed this right now, and was happy to be able to help his friend.

He didn't often speak of it, but with the exception of Mamoru, Makoto was the only person he ever called friend. Of course he hasn't talked to Mamoru in years. And as much as he longed for his love, he always knew that Makoto would hold a special place in his heart. She was his best friend after all, and no one could ever replace her as that. She was the one person that he would ever trust with all his secrets. It helped him, knowing that he had someone he could trust so completely. He smiled down at her sleeping form before placing a gentle kiss upon her forehead and joining her in sleeps embrace.

__________________________________________________________

It had been a long day for Juni and her companion. The only thing that perked up her mood was the half hour of cuddling she got in with her girlfriend before she had to leave for home. The tall teacher sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. She was just finishing making sure all the lights were off and the doors were locked, all that was left was to retrieve her purse from her office.

As soon she entered her office Garoben sensed something was off. The demon instantly extended her senses to try and find the source of it. She stood there for a moment ready to strike with fist or spell should anyone decide to show themselves. Before her a small rip in the air appeared. Garoben frowned as she recognized it as a means of transportation throughout the dark kingdom. Sure enough a large dictionary sized package appeared from within and dropped to her desk. No sooner had the package settled did the portal vanish.

Garoben slowly approached the plain looking delivery. Her palms began to sweat and a slight tremble shot through her body. It had been a number of weeks since her encounter with the madman Jadeite, and the demon had hopped that he had forgotten about her or had other things to attend to. Unfortunately for her, he had obviously not.

"Wha.. What is it?" Juni slowly reached out and tentatively unwrapped the package. Inside was a small Frisbee shaped crystal, a small pouch containing a few hundred little crystal tacks, and a parchment with instructions written upon it.

::He plans for us to attach the tacks to our training disks. They will gather energy from our students and transfer it to the larger disk.::

Juni gasped. "But what about the energy we are already gathering? Will we still have enough to sustain ourselves?"

The teacher could feel Garoben's mental frown. ::Our students will suffer the same effects from our feeding as they normally would. We just have to do it in every class and not break days.:: Juni's fist lashed out and slammed against her desk. ::Juni, we need to prepare for the worst.::

Garoben slumped down into her chair. The fear the demon was feeling soon dissipated, and was replaced by a calm resignation. ::We need to speak to our lawyer about signing everything over to Ami. You do want to leave everything to her right?::

Juni trembled a bit. "Is there no hope for us?"

::I will not lie to you, It is rare for his expendable soldiers to survive.:: The demon drew in a long breath. She reflected for a moment on how she had taken too many things in her long life for granted. If it was her time to die, she was ready. There was only one thing she would regret, loosing Ami.

::There have already been several of his Yoma operating throughout Tokyo. The majority of them have been slain by someone calling herself Sailor Moon.::

"How.. How do you know this?"

::I have kept track of these things for sometime. It would be foolish of me to think that I was separated from the Yoma world just because I bonded with you. I knew that they were organized, but I never dreamed that Jadeite or Lady Beryl were a part of it.::

::Call Shizuku. Tell her that we need to transfer all our belongings over to Ami. The sooner the better.::

"Shouldn't I write out a will?"

::No, if we die we won't leave behind a corpse. Remember you died several years ago, my presence is the only thing that kept your body preserved. If we were to die now you would crumble to dust and I will fade into oblivion.::

Juni cradled her head in her palms. The weight of what she had to do and what could happen slammed down upon her. Her thoughts also echoed that of her companions. She was happy to have had the extra years, but she would regret losing her newfound love. "I should get started. Just let me know everything that needs to be done."

____________________________________________________________

"Sir! Excuse me sir please wait!" A tall incredibly beautiful woman pushed her way through the sea of pedestrians around her. She had been following this man for the past three blocks, but he had yet to notice her. She grunted as she took another nudge to her stomach. She did not care how far or long she had to trail him, if he walked across Japan she would follow. He was everything she was looking for. This perfect specimen had long luxurious onyx hair, with the exception of his bangs, which were a dark red. He easily topped six feet and appeared to have a lean muscular build. Then there was his face, classically handsome bordering on beautiful and his eyes, those incredible eyes would be guaranteed to steal the hearts of millions.

"Sir, Please wait!" The beautiful woman spotted her chance to catch up as her quarry paused to study the entrance of a building and compare it with a paper he was carrying.

"Nineteen seventy-six zero three, third floor Mrs. Takoro's office." Tsuzuku carefully double checked the instructions and matched the address to the building in front of him. He was just about to step in when he felt someone latch onto his arm. With a skill that surprised him he instinctively grabbed a hold of his assaulter's arm and twisted it behind their back.

The beautiful woman let out a startled, pain filled cry. Tsuzuku upon seeing what he had done instantly released the woman and hastily checked to make sure she was all right. A few people stopped to watch the altercation, but moved along after nothing further happened.

"I am so sorry Ms. I just acted out of instinct. Please…" The handsome man paused mid sentence as he gazed upon the woman who was gently massaging her arm. She was fairly tall, an inch above or below six feet. The thing that caught Tsuzuku's eye was her face. She was stunning, the very picture of youth and beauty. Except the woman had a look of wisdom in her, she was probably older then she looked and if that was the case she aged very well indeed.

"Please allow me to treat you to lunch for my hasty actions." He flashed her the look, that unbeknownst to him had claimed and broken a thousand hearts.

The beautiful woman was not immune to this man's charms. It took her a moment to gather her thoughts and properly respond to his invitation. "I would be delighted Mr.?"

The man brushed an errant lock of hair behind his ear in a deliberately alluring fashion. "Mizuno, Tsuzuku Mizuno."

"I am pleased to meet you. I am Kozue Shimamoto, president of Treetop Modeling Agency. Perhaps you've heard of us?"

"I am afraid I'm new to town, I haven't had a chance to reacclimatize myself with what's popular these days."

"Oh, well the truth is I have been following you for the past few blocks, and I wanted to know if you were currently represented by anyone."

Tsuzuku grinned slightly as his gaze caressed Kozue's face. She has dealt with a lot of people in her life, and he still caused her skin to flush and her breath to quicken. "Are you offering to represent me Mrs. Shimamoto?"

"It's Ms. and yes I am. As a matter of fact I was on my way to meet with my agencies top two models. I would be honored if you would join us." The president's voice trailed off as her gaze was locked with the man in front of her. She wanted to say more, but was lost in his eyes, she couldn't speak to save her life.

"Ms. Shimamoto, the pleasure would be all mine." With a courtly grace Tsuzuku clasped Kozue's hand and brought it to his lips. His eyes continued to hold hers enthralled, refusing to let go. He knew he had charmed her, he knew that he could have her eating out of his palm. He knew this, and he loved it. "Please lead the way."

An arm wrapped around the president's slender shoulders. Tsuzuku smiled as she gasped at the contact. This would be the perfect line of work. And the benefits! The benefits would be extraordinary.

It turned out that the meeting place was only a few blocks form where Kozue originally started trailing Tsuzuku. He nodded appreciatively at the obvious quality and exclusive look of the restaurant. He could not know for sure, but something told him he was accustomed to this type of living.

When the pair entered they were hastily ushered to the back of the restaurant. Even though he was sorely under dressed Tsuzuku carried himself with a confidence that attracted the attention of every woman and more than a little men, every woman except one. This time it was his turn to loose his breath. The woman who shared a table with a cute waify looking model was in a word, perfect. He could not tell her height, because she was seated but it was obvious that she was a very tall woman. She had long silky black hair that was practically glowing, it framed her face which shown with a timeless classic beauty. When she noticed his stare she looked up at him, gracing him with the view of her perfect lips and beautiful dark brown eyes.

He was very pleased when Kozue lead him to her table. "Ladies, I would like to introduce you to Mr. Mizuno. Mr. Mizuno, these are my top two models. Ms. Yukari Hayasaka, and Ms. Jun Fudoh."

The near painfully thin model greeted him first. "Pleased to meet you Mr. Mizuno."

"Please, call me Tsuzuku."

"Alright then Tsuzuku, you have to call me Caroline." She treated him with a beautiful smile. It would have had a much greater effect if the model behind her hadn't stood to greet him as well.

She bowed demurely to him. "It's good to meet you. Will you be joining Ms. Shimamoto's agency?

"I will have to hear what she has to offer first, but I am highly considering it." Tsuzuku grinned at Jun, hoping to get some sort of response from her. Much to his chagrin all he received was a polite nod.

The rest of the lunch was spent learning about the agency, and what types of projects were available and what they were currently working on. Tsuzuku absorbed all of this with great interest, all the while keeping an eye on the beauty that had yet to really notice him.

An hour later Tsuzuku returned to the small apartment he and Umi shared. If he accepted this new job they could actually afford it, and then some. If Kozue was good to her word, after a few shoots he could probably afford to buy an apartment. The thought was highly appealing to him; living in shelters and miniscule apartments was beginning to wear on him. He could feel that he deserved more, he had lived in a higher station in life and he meant to achieve it again.

In the meantime he had to rely on Ayanee's charity. That is something that confused him. Here was this woman, a total stranger to both he and Umi, and she practically bends over backwards to help them. She had even tapped into her savings to set them up with the apartment they lived in and the equipment needed to tend for Umi. Regardless of the reason he was fully prepared to return her generosity tenfold if this job went through. Besides, even if she couldn't help them she was still a good friend.

Tsuzuku walked into his apartment and went straight to Umi's room anxious to tell her about his encounter with the Treetop Modeling Agency. As he walked in unannounced he inadvertently found out one of the reasons Ayanee was so kind to them. Ayanee was seated on the side of Umi's bed, and both were locked into a heated kiss. From the looks of them, this had been going on for a little while.

Ayanee and Umi didn't even hear their friend's entrance; it wasn't until he politely cleared his throat that the two finally noticed him. Umi instantly turned deep red, but Ayanee wanted to show her that everything was all right. She placed a light kiss on her forehead before turning to greet her friend. "Hey Tsuzuku, how'd your afternoon go?"

"Not as good as yours I see." Umi squirmed a bit in embarrassment, but Tsuzuku gave her a quick wink to show that he was just teasing her. "I was actually scouted today."

"What do you mean?" Ayanee questioned as she positioned herself to sit next to Umi. She knew that her friend was embarrassed, but she wanted her to be at ease with it. The younger woman was hesitant at first, but when Tsuzuku showed no signs of disapproval she slowly snuggled into Ayanee's side.

"When I was about to go to my interview the president of Treetop Modeling Agency stopped me and insisted I join her for lunch." As he spoke he held an air of complete confidence, with a hint of arrogance whatever happened it was obvious that he was very pleased with the results. "She introduced me to the agencies top models and told me of several shoots that I could start working on immediately."

Umi smiled widely at her friend. "That's wonderful. When do you start?"

"I haven't given her an answer yet. I wanted to tell the two of you about it first. As a matter of fact, She has offered to take me out to dinner tonight. Since the two of you are, getting closer perhaps you will join us? It can be a double date."

Ayanee smiled, happy with the invite. Umi didn't seem so sure. "But, it will be somewhere fancy, and I have to use my wheelchair. I don't know if I'm ready to go out in that yet."

"Oh Umi, don't worry. It will be alright, you're beautiful and having your chair is not going to make any difference."

"And the restaurant she will be taking us to is high scale. People know better than to gawk and stare."

"But, what about transportation and clothes. I don't have anything nice, and Ayanee can't fit my chair into her little car."

Tsuzuku frowned for a moment. He watched as Ayanee attempted to reassure her. He knew that the longer it took for her to start going out and accepting her disability, the harder it would be. "Look Umi, you are being overly insecure. The president wants me to join her agency really bad; I will have her send over a ride and outfits for the both of you. Now this discussion is ended we will be leaving at eight." With that he turned and let the two women staring at the door.

________________________________________________________________

Dear Noriko,

I met someone recently. She was a patient. My current partner and I found a strange man carrying her in the middle of the street. At the time she was beat up pretty bad, it looked like she was in a knife fight of some sort. I guess we will never know. Neither She nor the man with her remembers any details about their lives. They don't even know their real names.

I didn't know at the time why, but every day since I brought them in I went to visit them, her. Even the day after Ami was attacked I took a few minutes to see if she had awoken from her surgery yet. Since then I have spent at least an hour a day with her, and since she got out of the hospital I spend even more time with her.

I love her. I don't know how, or why it happened so fast. I have known her for less than a month, but every moment I am not with her I hurt. I never believed in love at first sight, but now weather I believed in it or not I am living it.

Right now she lives in a small apartment with Tsuzuku. He is the man who was found with her. I pulled out half my savings to set them up with it and all the things Umi will need to get around. That's how I know this is true love. Umi has lost the use of both legs; she will spend the rest of her life in a wheel chair. And instead of having that scare me away, I find myself changing my life to accommodate her. I am already planning on selling my car to get a minivan so I can drive her around.

I am thankful for Tsuzuku. He was hesitant to accept my aid at first, but he looked at it practically and gave in. I don't know what his connection is with Umi; I sometimes think that neither of them know it. It is there though. He is completely devoted to her, anything he can do to help her or make her more comfortable he will. It makes it sound like he is in love with her, but I've never seen him make those kind of advances toward her. And I know for a fact that he can get a woman to fall for him. I believe he broke at least two of the nurse's hearts while Umi stayed at the hospital. I have no doubt that he will also be sleeping his way through the management and talent of the Treetop Modeling Agency that he is now a part of.

I have mixed feelings about that. I have always hated men who are like that. Tsuzuku is for the most part very careful about keeping his behavior away from Umi and myself. The only reason I know what I do is because of the rumor mill at the hospital. Last night was the only time that we actually observed his behavior, and that is only because the modeling president made no secret of the fact that as soon as Umi and I were gone she was going to help herself to our friend.

Since he is my friend, and he will be the main provider for Umi I will ignore it. As long as he doesn't flaunt it in front of me I won`t say anything about it. Plus now he has an excellent job that has the opportunity of making him very wealthy. It is still to early in our relationship to know what will happen with Umi and myself, so I feel good knowing she would have a good provider. That's not to say that I don't know what I want to happen in our relationship, but things do happen. Regardless I need to talk to him about Umi's care in any scenario.

I haven't spoken to Ami about her yet. I actually haven't spoken to Ami much at all. Ever since the attack she doesn't seem to confide in me anymore. That really hurts me, but I guess it's my own fault. I work so many damn hours that I never get to see her. And now what free time I have I spend with Umi. That is the main reason I need to introduce them, I want for us all to spend time together. And as much as I love Umi, it would never work out between us if she and Ami did not get along.

I feel good knowing that even if she feels she can't talk to me, Ami has found others to talk to. For the first time my daughter actually has friends. True, they are a little "different", but I see that they all care for Ami so I won't criticize them, well most of them. I know the one Ami spends the most time with is Asagai-sensei. That is to be expected I guess, considering they spent the whole summer studying together. Then there is Makoto Kino and Fiore; he doesn't have a last name as far as I know. Makoto is the one who initially stepped in to save my daughter when she was attacked. So I'm grateful to her not only for that, but also because she and my daughter have become good friends. Fiore is Makoto's boyfriend as far as I can tell and he is very kind to both Makoto and Ami so I can't say anything bad about him. Finally there is Grandpa Hino. I really don't approve of my daughter seeing him. He is a dirty old man to put it bluntly. She says he is a good man, but still I only let her see him when I know someone else is with her.

One thing that I am very thankful to all of her friends for, is that they threw her a surprise birthday party. Ami hasn't had a party since she was in the third grade. Makoto says she planned it, but I suspect that Asagai-sensei had more to do with it. She seems to be a very modest, private person. From what Ami tells me she is the only one that spends anytime with her at all. I don't understand that personally. I think the woman is drop dead gorgeous and I know she could have dates lined up out the door. Why she chooses to be a recluse is beyond me. I guess she is one of those people who are married to their work. Heck even the time she spends with Ami is work in a way.

I have so much I still have to say. No, you know what I think I am going to visit you. I have some things I want to say in your presence. It will probably be a few weeks, but I will get there as soon as possible. So, until then.

Sept. 26, 1992

______________________________________________________________

"Makoto, what is the deal between you and Fiore anyway? I always thought he was your boyfriend, but you mentioned the other day that you felt lonely."

Ami and Makoto sat cross-legged across from each other on a beautifully hand crafted picnic mat. The two friends had spent a few hours after Ami got out of school to just walk around and explore a bit. Makoto had received permission to take this time off of work earlier so she came prepared with everything needed for a picnic. The food surprisingly enough was prepared by the tall brunette. As the two ate, Ami couldn't help but think how delicious it was considering Makoto had never set foot in a kitchen before.

The tall brunette really didn't want to talk about this, but she liked the rapport and honesty that she and her smaller companion shared. She knew to keep that going she would have to be honest here as well. Besides, it couldn't hurt to get another persons perspective on this. "Fiore's and my relationship is, complicated. I met him when I was twelve; he saved me from some pretty rough times. Since then he has always been the most important person in my life. I just wish that I was the most important in his." Makoto put down her bento and sat quietly, trying to organize her thoughts. "We had to separate a few times over the last several years, but mostly that was due to me going to lockup so much. Other times he had things he needed to do, but I never learned what that was. Aside from that though we are always together."

Makoto glanced at Ami who was listening intently. She knew she was talking around the question, she hesitated a moment but decided to just go with it. "Fiore and I first became lovers after my last boyfriend dumped me. I had a bad habit of choosing men who just wanted me for sex. They would use me and leave me when they got bored. After that last time I just got so depressed y'know. I felt like I was worthless and no one would ever love someone like me."

Ami could tell that this story was very difficult for her friend to tell. She scooted in closer to her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. It was a small gesture of support, but the older teen was able to draw strength from it. "So I kinda seduced Fiore. I just wanted to feel loved. And he does love me, he's just not in love with me."

"What do you mean?"

"Fiore has someone else that he's in love with. Though I don't even think that guy even remembers him. They met when they were young and Fiore's always waiting for the perfect time to meet em again." Ami didn't fail to notice the slip Makoto made in revealing the gender of Fiore's love. Ami felt bad for her friend, it would just be difficult for Makoto to find the happiness she obviously craved with a gay man.

"So, There you are, Fiore is my best friend and I am in love with him. And, well he just doesn't think of me that way. I live for those times when I can get him to make love to me, cause it feels like we're really together, like there is no one else just us. But the reality is he just sleeps with me out of pity. There is no way my Angel could possibly be in love someone like me."

"I feel like I`ll never find someone to love me completely. Fiore`s the closest thing I got to that, and he can`t love me the way I love him. So I take what I can get until the next asshole that I fall for shows up and uses me again. It's my own fault really. I mean look at me. I'm too tall and muscular. I look like a damn boy! And I'm not even full Japanese. How can I ever be a wife when my main talents are fighting and picking locks? Who would ever want to be with someone like me? "

Makoto was feeling very vulnerable right now, she had opened up in a way she hadn't expected to. She said things out loud that she never dared voice before. She didn't know what it was, but there was something about her new friend that encouraged her to open up like this. Makoto was on the verge of tears and was surprised when arms encircled her in a steadying embrace.

The older teen wanted to cry, but held back. This quiet show of support from her friend was soothing for her troubled soul. Makoto absorbed the feeling of non-judgmental understanding that Ami was providing her. The tall teen leaned into her younger friends embrace gaining strength from it. She stayed like that for a few moments until she remembered who was holding her. She slowly released herself from the embrace and sat back a bit.

"Thanks. I appreciate that."

Ami smiled at her friend. "That is what friends are for right?" Ami looked at the ground for a moment wandering if she should continue. If what she wanted to say was appropriate. "You are wrong you know."

"Huh." Makoto gave Ami a confused look, not entirely sure what the younger girl was talking about.

"You will find someone. You told me all those things like they were bad, but I see them as strengths. Your heritage does not make you undesirable. If anything it makes you more exotic, so does your height and muscles. Don't you realize how beautiful you are? I can not believe Fiore, or your old boyfriends have never told you that."

Makoto was blushing at the younger girls compliments. It took he a second to reply, and when she did it was in a shy unsure voice. "Fiore does, but I always thought he was just trying to cheer me up."

"Well he is not, and neither am I. You are an extremely beautiful and admirable woman Makoto. Any man, or woman for that matter would be lucky to have you." Ami blushed a moment not really sure if she should continue, but she felt that her insecure friend really needed some extra reassurance. "You know, if I was not with Juni I would ask you out in a heartbeat. And believe me when I say that I would be the lucky one if you said yes."

Makoto squirmed a bit in embarrassment, but Ami did manage to make her feel better. Even though, it was definitely time for a subject change. "Speaking of Juni, are the two of you uh intimate yet?" Makoto cringed at the bluntness of her question, but she "really" wanted to change the subject.

Ami at the mention of her own sex life immediately turned beet red. "Uhm, we still have not."

"You haven't!?! Ami, you have been a couple for almost a month, I would have thought you would have done it by now." Makoto was used to being pressured into putting out in the first few dates, if not the first date. So the concept of not having sex right away was quite foreign to her. "If you're not careful she's going to get tired waiting."

Ami balked at Makoto's statement. "Juni is not like that! We have not been together yet because she wants to make sure that I am ready for that kind of commitment."

"What do you mean commitment?"

"Neither Juni or I have ever been in a relationship before, and we want to make sure that we both are feeling the same thing before we take it to the next level." Ami had always thought that waiting was the natural thing to do, but the way Makoto was talking it seemed like doing it right away was normal.

"So both of you are virgins? No way!" Makoto was shocked, everyone she has known has had sex at least once. Thinking about it she could see Ami's excuse, but Juni? No way, the woman was twenty-three after all.

Ami looked really embarrassed now, and even a little bit hurt. Makoto seemed to pick up on that right away and hastened to pull her foot out of her mouth. "Aw jeeze, y'know Ami I didn't mean it like I was making fun of ya. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said nothin. I guess I'm, just used to hanging around a different crowd of people. Please just ignore what I said, it`s good to wait to be with someone you love."

"You do love her right?"

Ami accepted Makoto's apology and the minor subject change. "Juni told me she loved me a few days after that day." Ami did not have to mention what day that was, both girls would carry emotional scars from that for a long time. "I have not said anything to her yet."

"What, Why not? Are you not sure of your feelings?"

Ami took a moment to properly state her thoughts. "I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I think I knew for sure the day I skipped school to see her. All morning throughout class the only thing I could think of, was being with her again. So, yes I do love her."

"Ok, so why haven't you said anything yet? I would think the more time goes by without you saying anything, the more insecure she will prolly be about your relationship." Makoto resumed eating her lunch, her appetite returning now that the conversation was off of herself. "I don't know, but if I told someone I loved em and they pretty much smiled and didn't say anything back I would feel pretty shitty."

Ami looked like something just hit her. "I never even considered that!" the young genius looked physically ill, assuming incorrectly that that is why Juni had been so withdrawn and melancholy lately. "It was not my intention to make it seem that way. I was just waiting for the perfect moment, but I keep getting scared whenever it comes."

"Why do you get scared? I mean you`re both in love with each other, it should all work out right?"

Ami looked away and began fidgeting with the picnic mat. "I, I planned that the day I told her would be the day we, you know." Another blush colored the shy geniuse's cheeks.

"Oh!" Makoto exclaimed, then smiled slyly at her friend. "I bet you have been trying to plan something huh?"

"Kind of."

Makoto was starting to get confused. "Ok, so you love her, she loves you, you already have the scenario planned out. What is making you so nervous?"

"I told you I am nervous about uhm being intimate with her."

"Huh, why? You're not nervous cause she's a girl are you? I kind of thought that you were a lesbian, so why would that matter?"

"No! I am, well I mean. Ugh it's not that." Ami was starting to get a bit frustrated at not being able to explain this. "I am just nervous about having sex for the first time ok! It does not matter that she is a woman. I just do not want to disappoint her."

"Oh!" Makoto mentally kicked herself for not realizing that earlier. ::Duh, she's still a virgin of course she'd have performance anxiety.:: That thought struck the tall brunette as funny and she had to struggle to hold back her laugh. Quickly composing herself she hastened to reassure her friend. "Well, remember what you were telling me about how being with her made you feel."

"Yes." Ami was not sure where her companion was going with this.

"And remember how I described what being with someone who you love is like." Ami nodded. "Well if you two really love each other, than that alone will make the experience really good. It doesn't matter if you don't know what your doing. Usually your first time with someone is weird anyways, cause you don't know each other's bodies yet. That's where feelings and emotions come in. They make it so you're not even thinking about the physical stuff you're just overwhelmed that your doing it with someone you love."

A thoughtful look crossed Ami's features. Both teens remained quiet for a while, Ami thinking on Makoto's words, and Makoto giving her friend some time to sort things out. When it became evident that Ami was not going to say anything else, the two friends finished their meal, and cleaned up their picnic site in silence.

Just when they were about to start walking home, Ami stopped her companion. She had a nervous look to her, and Makoto set down the basket she was carrying and gave Ami her complete attention. "There is something else. I want to talk about it but.."

"Ami, anything you tell me that you don't want repeated just let me know and I won't tell anyone. And I'm not the person to judge anyone, so if it's somthin embarrassing I won't make fun of it."

Ami nodded slightly and the two girls settled themselves again on the ground. Ami took a moment to gather her thoughts before speaking. "After the incident, Juni was missing for three days. She did not go to school and every time I called or went by her house no one was home. On the third day she finally answered the door when I went to her house. She, she seemed sick, and looked completely worn out. She told me she was recovering from a fever, but I think it was more than that."

Makoto just nodded, not wanting to interrupt the story but also wanting to let her friend know that she held her attention. "I uhm, later that night I was washing her hair, and back and she started crying. I thought I had hurt her at first, but she said it was not anything I did."

Ami's eyes took on a faraway look, as if she was trying to piece together the experience. She was in fact, in the hopes that she could see something that she didn't before. "When I washed her back, it was fine nothing was wrong with it. When she told me to stop all these welts started appearing. It was like they were hidden somehow."

"She told me that she had done something that she regretted and had paid the price for it. She wouldn't go into any details about it. All she would say is that she had to work some stuff out on her own and would tell me when she did."

Ami's hand began to unconsciously tug at the grass beneath her. Makoto wanted to say something, but felt that Ami had more to say. "That's the first time she told me she loved me. I.. I couldn't say anything back I was pretty overwhelmed. Instead I kissed her."

The Genius started to flush a little. She looked up at her friend who was hanging on her every word. "I admit that if she didn't stop me, I would have gone all the way with her. I.. I wanted to."

"Why did she stop?"

"She said that it was not right for me to be with her while she was not telling me everything about her yet."

"And she hasn't said anything about this since then?" Ami nodded no to Makoto's question. "Do you have any idea what these secrets are about? Did she give you any clue as to what is going on with her?"

"Whatever it is, she seemed afraid. She did say that she might be in some kind of trouble." Ami's shoulders slumped. This was something that had been weighing on her for some time.

The two friends retreated into their thoughts, each thinking about what Ami had just said. When one of them finally spoke, it was Makoto who had broken the silence. "Well I guess the real question is how you'd react to whatever it is she's keeping from you."

"What do you mean?"

"Is there anything she could say that would make you stop loving her? And do you trust her to eventually confide in you?"

"No" Ami's answer was instantaneous as it came from her heart. "She could tell me that she was a cross dressing alien fugitive wanted all over the world and it wouldn't change how I feel about her. And I know she will eventually confide in me."

Makoto arched an eyebrow at her friend. "Then, just make sure she understands that and you won't have any problems."

After that, Ami remained in quiet contemplation. It wasn't until Makoto was leaving Ami off in front of her apartment that the young genius said anything. "Thank you Makoto, you gave me a lot to think about. I am going to tell her soon. I just needed to hear verbalized what I should have known all along."

Makoto waved off her friend. "Hey no problem. Besides, you helped me with some stuff today too. I hope that we can keep doing that y'know. I never really had someone sides Fiore to talk to, and a lot of the stuff I need to talk about is about him." The tall teen gave her short friend a nervous smile. "So, uhm thanks. I'll be by to pick you up tomarrow." With that the older teen turned away.

Ami waved at her departing friend. "Thank you Makoto."

________________________________________________________

The next day went by without incident. School was a drag as usual. The trip to and from school was very educational, as Ami was able to ask for a couple of bedroom "tips" from Makoto. That was easily the most embarrassed the young teen had ever been in her life, but she did learn some interesting things. When she arrived home she was quite flushed from all the stimulating conversation. She left her shoes and jacket by the door and went into the kitchen to prepare a snack, as was her habit.

"Ami, honey is that you?" The young genius practically spilled her snacks all over the floor. It was her mother, but Ami could not remember the last time she had been home at this hour. After she recovered from her shock she set down her snack things and followed her mothers voice to the back room. Even though she was startled by her, Ami was happy that she was home; it had been a while since they were able to spend any time together.

As she walked into her room, Ami found her mom just waking up and putting on some clothes that were strewn around the room. "Mom, are you alright? Did you not go to work today?"

Finally clothed, Ayanee walked over to her daughter and gave her a tight hug, one that the younger girl happily returned. "Actually my shift ended around noon, and I asked not to work a double today." Ayanee ran her fingers through her daughter's short hair. It had been several months since they cut it, but it still felt weird to her. "I was hoping that we could spend the evening together. I want to talk to you about a couple things that are going on right now."

Ami became nervous; it usually was never a good thing when her mom wanted to have a "talk." "Is everything alright, we are not moving again are we?" Just the thought of that made tears well up in the younger Mizuno's eyes. She had finally found a place she belonged and she couldn't bare to give it up yet.

"No, Goddess no!" Ayanee hastened to assure her daughter. "I promised no more moves. So unless you want to leave I don't plan on picking up anytime soon."

Ami sighed in relief.

"I actually wanted to take you somewhere later tonight. I uh, well I have some friends I would like you to meet."

Ami was shocked. "Really! You made some friends!?!" With the exception of Noriko, whom Ami didn't know about, her mother had never in her memory ever had a friend. "I would love to meet them. I just need to call Juni and let her know that I won't be able to see her tonight." Ami hurried off to go make to call. Ayanee stood there for a moment thinking about what her daughter had said. Not only did she call her teacher by her first name, she made it sound like she would be hanging out and not going to school.

Now curious, Ayanee slowly followed her daughter and tried to eaves drop on her conversation. She couldn't hear all of it, but she could tell that Ami and her teacher held a conversation like close friends and not like pupil and teacher. Of course, Ayanee knew that they were friends. Heck, Juni was probably the one responsible for Ami`s surprise party. It wasn't that that nagged at her. It was the way Ami said goodbye. Her voice had gentled and she had a curious look about her that Ayanee couldn't quite place.

"I'll see you tomorrow then. Yes. Hah! That sounds wonderful, it's a date then. Alright, have a good night take care." Ami stood leaned against the wall for a moment. If she had remembered that her mother was home, she would have wiped the silly grin off her face. Ayanee made a mental note to watch her daughter's interaction with her teacher when she left and got home from their normal Sunday together.

For the time being though, Ayanee was willing to trust in her daughters better judgment and not jump to conclusions. "Hey honey, you have everything taken care of?"

Ami jumped a little bit at the sound of her mother's voice. "Uhm, yes."

"Hey Ami come sit down with me for a second, I need to tell you something."

Ami's heart started pounding in her chest as she thought for a moment that her mother had heard her phone conversation. "Sure mom, what is it you want to talk about." Ami had to concentrate fully to be able to stop her knees from shaking as she took a seat next to her mom at the small dining table.

Ayanee noted all of this and was becoming more than a little suspicious. In the mean time though she would wait to observe the way the two acted without knowing someone was watching. "Ami I have been seeing someone."

"What!?!" Ami was immediately pulled from her nervousness by her mother's confession. "Seeing as in your dating someone? Who is she? She is a she right?" Ami shot a rapid fire of questions at her mother. Even though she was dating Juni and was really close to Makoto, her mother is still the only person that she would act hyper around. It wasn't something she did consciously either, that's just how things happened.

"Whoa! One question at a time." Ayanee breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't know why, but she half expected her daughter to be mad at the news. But hearing her daughter's obviously positive response she wondered why she could even think that. "Yes, she is a she. Her name is Umi. Now, there is something you need to know about her and I should have asked how you felt about it first but."

"What is it?"

"Well Umi was one of my patients. My partner and I found her being carried in the middle of the street by Tsuzuku, he's the other person you will meet tonight. Well, she was in pretty bad shape when we found her, and both she and Tsuzuku have amnesia. Neither of them can remember anything about themselves, not even their names. So, I let them share our last name."

"What caused it, did they find out?"

"They think that she was in some kind of knife fight, she had a mass amount of stab and slice wounds on her body. Whatever happened, it left her with a lot of scars and she lost the use of her legs."

"Oh my gosh. How is she coping with everything?" Ayanee was touched by her daughter's concern for her girlfriend. A weight was lifted off the elder Mizuno's shoulder as she realized she had no reason to be worried. The next few hours were spent with Ami asking questions about her mother's new friend and girlfriend. After Ami had asked everything she possibly could the conversation turned to catching up. They hadn't had a whole lot of time together lately, so it was nice to have this time to talk about life. As they talked, the two Mizuno's prepared a salad and a few side dishes to take with them to the other Mizuno's house. Tsuzuku was cooking, so they didn't have to worry about a main dish.

The only thing that Ami disliked bout this situation was the fact that her mother had sold her car and traded it in for a spacious minivan. Ami had loved that old car, and the two Mizuno's had many fond memories of it. It was just a minor annoyance though, Ami understood the need for the change and wouldn't fault her mother for that.

The dinner was fabulous, Tsuzuku surprised everyone by having quite the talent for preparing fish. He said it came natural to him and despite the "help" Umi insisted on giving it turned out well. This of course earned him a punch in the side from the indignant Umi.

Ayanee was pleased that Tsuzuku was on his best behavior for the night, and offered her daughter the same courtesy he showed Umi and herself. Ami seemed pretty indifferent to the future model. They talked a little but didn't really find much common ground. Still there was no animosity, so that was good.

As far as Umi was concerned, Ayanee couldn't have asked for a better reaction. It only took a few minutes before the two were chatting away like old friends. Mostly it was Ami getting details on how she met her mom, and other such things. Then it was Umi playfully digging for details on Ayanee. Ayanee was a little uncomfortable with that. She had briefly touched upon some of the problems she had gone through, and didn't want Umi to hear about them second hand from Ami.

When the night finally came to a close Ayanee went home feeling blessed. Not only had she found two good friends, one of which she loved dearly, but her daughter also got along with both of them. Nothing could have made Ayanee happier than when Ami turned to her in the car and told her that she really liked both of them and would be happy to have them as a part of the family. She even asked if she could call Umi, Auntie.

The night had been a great success. As they were on their way home both Mizuno's reflected on everything that had happened over the past month. So much had happened that it was hard to believe that that was only how long it's been. One thing was for sure. Even through all the ups and downs a lot of wonderful things happened. It was a good month in which many doors were opened. The future wasn't clear, but for the first time both women had loved ones and friends to share it with.

For the Mizuno's, life could not be better.

________________________________________________________________ ___

Author's notes::

Wow, this chpt. Just flowed really easy. It might seem a bit rushed in areas, but I am really excited about nearing the end. I am anxious to have a completed work.

The next chpt is an important one, and chpt. 14 is the climax. 15 will be for tying up loose ends and 16 will be a short epilog.

I have decided my nest story, but throughout the updates I plan on writing three random short stories staring,

1. Tomoyo from CCS

2. Mao from princess Nine

3. I will tentatively do a Miki/Kozue fic

Please keep up the reviews, and thanks to all those who keep them constant. They keep me inspired!

Kozue and Yukari/Caroline or from the excellent manga Paradise kiss.

Jun is from Devilman Lady.

Umi means sea and Tsuzuku means to continue. Tsuzuku is based on his Manga incarnation. I have not decided how I am going to develop Umi yet.

The past three chpts took place in the month following the attack on Ami. The next chpt starts on Sunday the 5th of October.

:::Notes thoughts or Garoben's speech::

Rei is currently staying at another temple. She has been gone for four months and won't return for another month or two.

Questions? Comments? You can reach me at poepah@yahoo.com

Next chapter 13 A Perfect Day