Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Ami ❯ Epilog ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Waking Ami

Epilog

"Goodbye, you two have fun!" Ami Mizuno called down to her mother and Umi as she watched their car pull out of the parking space and melt into traffic. Umi and Ayanee had been married a few weeks prior, and tonight they were finally able to leave on their honeymoon.

The blue haired teen sighed as she stared out into the sky from her balcony. The steady flowing of the clouds and the feel of the cool breeze calmed her. Today was an important day for her as well, though the reason was of a more solemn nature than that of her two mothers.

Exactly one year ago, Ami had lost someone very important to her. Ayanee had remembered this as well, and offered to delay the honeymoon so she could be there to support her daughter. Ami had politely declined; she preferred to be alone today. Her mother was not the only one to offer her company, and Ami thought fondly on all of her friends that offered their support.

Tonight was not about her, it was about Juni Asagai. Ami's first mentor, friend, and lover. Most people never knew the full details of their relationship, but they knew how devastated Ami was when she died. Her death was another thing most people did not know about. With the exception of Grandpa Hino and his granddaughter Rei, no one knew the truth about what happened that night. To the rest of the world, Juni Asagai, disappeared after a monster attacked her school. Even though Ami reported to police that Juni died defending her, no body was ever found.

Ami took a calming breath before walking back into her condo. Juni's lawyer presented the condominium, along with several million dollars to Ami two weeks after she died. Apparently, Juni knew this would happen and had planned for it. The lawyer had explained to Ami that Juni left explicit instructions that if she did not contact her within a seven-day period, all of her property and money transferred over to her. The only exception was the Crystal Academy, which was willed over to the three other women who worked there. Makoto was also left with six months severance pay.

Making sure the door was locked, Ami went about the main room of the condo closing all the blinds, and turning off the lights, and lighting a multitude of candles that formed a six-foot circle in the middle of the room. A few sticks of incense joined the candles in the circle. Ami walked to her room where she retrieved a few of Juni's personal items that she had saved, and the diary that she kept over the last year.

Once everything was prepared, Ami turned on some relaxing music, and shirked her clothes before entering the circle. She spared a brief thought to the fact that until recently she would always do this dressed in a robe. Thanks to the influence of her completely uninhibited girlfriend, Ami has become much more comfortable with things that used to embarrass her half to death.

Taking a seat in the center of the circle, Ami took a series of calming breaths. These techniques were taught to her by Rei and Francisco, another lost mentor and friend, to clear the mind and relax the body. Once her mind was clear, Ami picked up one of the items in front of her. It was a velvet box containing a simple but beautiful pair of earrings that were Juni's favorite. Ami looked upon them and remembered.

It was around a month after they had first met, and Juni had just started tutoring her. Ami had a habit of staring at her teacher, but was lucky enough to never get caught. This time however she was, but instead of making excuses she had plainly spoke what was on her mind. "Those earrings are really beautiful on you. They suite you well." A simple compliment, but it had caught Juni off guard and had left the teacher blushing.

Ami smiled at the memory, thinking of a few other times when Juni had worn them.

Ami replaced the earrings in the pile of things she brought into the circle of candles. One by one, she went through the rest of the items in a similar manner. Each thing seemed insignificant, but they all held a simple, but precious memory for the young woman sifting through them. Over an hour passed before the only item left was the diary. With teary eyes and shaking hand, Ami reached for it and began to read it for the last time.

Many hours and tears later she was finished. Looking at the items once again, Ami gathered them all up and placed them into a small antique cauldron that Francisco had given her before he died. Wiping away the last of her tears, Ami made her way around the circle extinguishing most of the long burning candles. The last one she took with the cauldron to her balcony.

Donning a thin white robe, Ami walked out onto her balcony setting the cauldron near the edge. Ami's eyes were drawn to the sky, where out of the corner of her eye a star streaked through the sky. Ami took a deep breath before smiling slightly through renewed tears. "I love you Juni Asagai."

Nothing else was said as Ami picked up her diary and set it aflame with the last remaining candle. Once lit, Ami dropped the burning book into the cauldron. Ami watched the flames slowly burn. So much had happened in the last year, Ami had been witness to countless horrors and had to live through the deaths of friends and family she had even died herself. Not all was bad; she also found many friends and even someone who could be more. However, as much as that person pursued her, and as much as she wanted to accept and return her love, Ami, could not shake the pangs of heartbreak and grief. Tonight was her way of celebrating her first loves life, mourning her death, and saying goodbye.

The sound of the opening door reached Ami, though she was not startled. She knew who it was. Even though she told her that she wanted to be alone tonight, her girlfriend had correctly assumed that her presence was appreciated

A sigh escaped Ami's lips as strong arms wrapped around her. The night continued in silence, Ami wrapped securely in a warm embrace relished in the support and love she received. Long after the fire burnt out and the ashes cooled, Ami sat wrapped in her lover's arms staring at the stars, just remembering.

The End

_______________________________________________________________ _________

I had originally planned a diary entry to finish this, but it would have reflected a bunch of stuff that I will include in future stories. Therefore, I apologize for a few of the loose ends, but they will be addressed later on. I actually had a whole other draft sketched out, but when I sat down to write it, this is what came out. I wanted to give Ami some closure, instead of the immediate thoughts on what happened in this story.

Well this is it, the result of over three years worth of work starting in Waking Mercury and finishing here. I have to say that I loved writing this and I am really looking forward to writing more. Now that this is over, please give me some feedback. It really does a lot to help boost my morale as an author to have some comments, no matter how simple waiting for me when I post a chapter.

Now I have a few people I want to thank. Synergy thank you VERY much for editing the first chapter, and getting me going again. I am sorry I never sent you any of the others. I was to chicken to ask you to edit the second chapter three months after sending you the first. I hope you decided to keep reading, and will continue reading my next story.

Ghrdr goes the credit of the title. Moreover, Don thank you for your help in editing as well. I wish that would have worked out better. I do thank you for what you did though and I hoped you enjoyed the result. Finally, I want to thank everyone who has ever reviewed my stories. Every single review no matter how simple helped keep me going.

This story has been a big part of my life. It surprised me to find out how much time it takes to write. Well for better or for worse Waking Ami is complete. I hope to see you for the sequel!

PinaPoe 2-23-2004

poepah@yahoo.com