Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Just Beneath the Surface ❯ The Challenge ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just Beneath the Surface

Part III

~AiC

A/N: Okay, I've gotten some inspiration for this... yay! :)

Disclaimer: Nope, I still don't own SnK... ::frowns::

~*~

It was dark outside and I frowned, my brows furrowing slightly. I was sitting cross-legged, nestled between the roots of an old maple tree. It was warm out, muggy with a slight chill to the air. This was unusual for the midsummer seasons, but it didn't bother me. Eyes half lidded, I leaned back and gazed up through the dark green leaves of the tree, resting my hands on my knees. When Sonic and I had gotten back from the diner, Sally was furious. Needless to say, she nearly tripled our usual workload and sent us off without allowing further protest. We didn't get lunch either and I regretted not ordering something more sustaining then coffee. After the sun had set and everyone retired to the mess hall to eat, I grabbed a sandwich and left, making my way into the forest. No one was really surprised, although Sonic did give me a funny look. I would have waited for him to follow, but Tails currently had his attention. He was going on and on about Sonic's super spin, etc. I left by myself.

A few weeks ago, I never would have thought to include him... I thought. Indeed, I usually took walks by myself, but lately he'd accompanied me. We usually sparred when we took breaks, but I was so exhausted from today that I hadn't planned on it.

"Damn bridge... It doesn't need to be finished yet and I fell like I cut down a hundred trees instead of fifty..." My arms were sore and the muscles in my back ached terribly. The princess had started building a bridge across the river so that on missions it was easier to access that part of the forest. It was too dangerous to otherwise cross and it saved time to go over it directly.

"Yeah, I hear ya man." Sonic stepped out from behind the old tree across from me and I chided myself on my inattentiveness. How long had he been there?

Instead, I simply answered, "I was wondering when you'd show yourself."

Eyes widening slightly, he let a note of surprise enter his otherwise well-guarded tone. "You knew I was here?"

He usually would have made some remark about not intentionally being quiet or at least ignore the statement. But he didn't. So I decided to let my own defenses down for a moment. After all, I owed him that courtesy.

"No."

He grinned at my answer and curled into the roots like I had, his hands rubbing his upper arms. "It's kinda cold out here." He noted. "How come you aren't inside? You don't even have a fire built..."

I shrugged and he frowned. "When are you going back?"

"Dunno. Maybe I'll stay out here tonight." I glanced at him, a hint of a challenge in my gaze.

He smirked. "It's too cold."

"For you, maybe."

He thought for a moment. "Alright," he said, emerald eyes meeting my own amethyst ones. "We'll both stay out here. The first to wuss out has to..." He paused, considering. "Aha! The first to give up has to do the winner's chores... for a week!"

"If you really want to do my work for me, go ahead." I said, smiling faintly at his acceptance of my challenge.

He started away and I raised an eye ridge. "Giving up already?"

"No, I'm just getting supplies..." He started off and I followed silently.

Fifteen minutes later we met up back where the two Oaks were, Sonic with an armful of food (go figure, I thought) and a sleeping bag. I had one as well, and a bag with three sandwiches.

"Hmm." Sonic said, looking over my meager provisions. "I think I'll share this..." he dumped the food into a pile with my own bag and I scoffed; he had bags of chips, chilidogs enveloped in plastic wrap, several bottles of soda, and about five cans of "Sonic and Meatballs" ravioli. I chose to overlook this and the twenty-four pack box of Oreo© cookies.

"No thanks, I think I'll stick to something a little more nutritious." I knelt down and spread out my blanket. It was large, big enough for at least three people my size or larger, and it was black to absorb more heat. I don't know why I liked them so big... whenever I used to go camping, it just shoved the fact in my face that there was no one next to me... that I was alone and would be for the rest of my life.

Sonic frowned and glanced at his own bag; it was older and kind of shabby. I grinned. "Didn't think too far ahead, did you hedgehog?" He shrugged, but I could tell that it bothered him a little. After all, his fur was shorter and he wasn't so accustomed to sleeping outdoors like I was. He'd be cold. And have to do my chores for a week. For some reason that didn't make me feel that good. I almost felt sorry for the guy but said nothing.

Suddenly we both looked up at a rustle in the branches of the tree Sonic had been sitting beneath. A fuzzy, yellow-orange ball of fluff with a surprisingly bulky backpack and a tail that, oddly, was split down the middle, fell from the tree and landed with an audible thump. I rolled my eyes, arms crossed, and Sonic glanced at me apologetically.

"Tails, buddy, what are you doing here...?" He managed to keep most of the edge from his voice and, even though a bit seeped through, Tails remained oblivious. "Sonic, I asked Sal and she said I could come with you!" He was grinning widely, probably because he hadn't yet noticed me

The hedgehog tilted his head and looked at his younger friend while I hung back, sitting against the trunk of a tree. "What did you ask Sally, exactly?"

"If I could go camping with you!"

I groaned inwardly and Sonic sighed. "Well, you go back there and tell her we aren't camping. Knux and I just need to talk alone for awhile."

Something in the way he said "need to talk alone" made me feel odd. A thought drifted on the edge of my consciousness, but I couldn't quite grasp it. I gave up when I heard Tails' voice.

"Knuckles..." He glanced around, starting slightly when his eyes fell on me. He really hadn't known I was here, and I gave him a small smirk. He unconsciously stepped a bit away, attention flickering back to Sonic. "But what are you talking about?" I was telling he was weighing which he would rather do; get away from me or try to press Sonic to stay and talk.

"Grown-up stuff."

"I'm grown-up!" He looked indignant and I scoffed. Neither noticed.

"Not for this conversation... we're talking about girls."

His face contorted into a grimace of childish disgust. "Girls have cooties. 'Nuff said."

"Sorry pal. So you gonna go tell Aunt Sal that we aren't camping?"

"I guess..." He looked kind of sad when he left, but I knew it was a ploy for Sonic to let him stay.

Sonic looked to me and sighed. "Sorry about tha..." he stopped when I shook my head sharply. Motioning with my eyes, I directed his gaze to just behind the tree; Sonic nodded and took up the cue. "So what about that waitress, huh?"

I grinned slightly. Tails started wandering away until he was out of scent range. I nodded once more and a slight frown creased the hedgehog's brow. "How'd you know her was there?"

"I could smell him." I stretched slightly.

"Ah." He plopped down on his blankets. "He probably won't be back tonight."

"Don't worry. He won't find us." I said. He nodded and we started arranging our bedding.

"So," he said after a few minutes, making a nest out of his sleeping blanket and opening a large bag of cookies to shove into his mouth, "Whatcha wanna do?"

"Sleep." I answered, sitting down on top of my sleeping pallet, legs crossed. I cleared a spot on the forest floor and set about four or five leaves in the center, surrounded by a mound of dirt and pebbles about an inch high. Striking two stones together, a spark fell onto the leaves. Closing my eyes, I ignited the spark into a small flame, waiting until the leaves were thoroughly burning before adding several small twigs. I slowly fed the fire bits of dry grass and pieces of wood until it was large enough for my liking.

Meanwhile, Sonic had been staring at me in a mix of shock and... something else.

"How'd you do that, man? You didn't blow on it or anything..." He said, waving a hand through the fire quickly, as if it doubted its reality.

I shrugged. "Just used my ki energy."

He stared at me blankly and I sighed, then elaborated, "You know how when you do your super mode, and you glow? Well, it's like that... your ki causes you to glow, it's energy, the purest form. Only this is in a much smaller degree."

I could almost see the gears click in his head. After a long moment, he said, "Oh." He thought for another moment and asked suddenly. "Wait... you can go Super??"

I sighed. It was going to be a long night...

~*~

A/N: Okay, this was odd and stuff but... At least I got some ideas for it... ^_^ I got some shtuff planned if you guys like this.

~AiC