Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Some things Never Change ❯ The power of music ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWELVE
 
The children's money was safe, and for once in a while now, the terrible trio was brought to justice… but not by the Teen Titans.
 
Instead, they were brought down by some stranger, who beat them all single-handed.
 
Robin and Cyborg did all the readings they could back at the tower, but whoever Manimal really was, his DNA didn't match anything they had on file. “Whoever's in that suit must really not want us to know who he is.” said Robin.
 
“Well, we know for sure he's not our enemy.” said Cyborg. “Why else would he have beat those little creeps and return the money?”
 
Starfire thought the Manimal was really cool, but she also wondered why he would just leave, and not be interested in talking to the Titans?
 
Raven even thought he was mysterious also. Who was this guy? Would they ever see him again?... but most importantly, what were his true intentions?
 
Over the Weekend
 
(Yes… this is just like on Spider-Man)
 
A lot went on in town… as the first printed edition of what had happened that night. A lot of reporters came and questioned the citizens of Gotham about the new Masked Stranger.
 
“This is no ordinary man. My brother saw him leap from the ground right up the side of the building.”
 
“Uh… I think he is a man… but he could be a woman too.”
 
 
Two looters were robbing the Gotham bank. “Move it pal!”
 
“Y-y-yes, yes… just don't shoot.”
 
The looters grabbed their money bags, but before they could head through the door. WHAMM… Manimal came swinging down and boot them both hard into a dumpster, and also returned the bank its money.
 
 
The newspapers went wild…
 
“Masked Stranger Foils Robbery.”
 
“Stranger Strikes Again.”
 
“Another Sighting.”
 
“I just know that it's a sign… and that it's a word… the Manimal was really here.”
 
“He runs and swims, jumps, and climbs… pretty much does anything like an animal does.”
 
 
A jewelry store was being robbed, and the police just arrived on the seen to find the thugs bound up tightly to the walls of the store with Manimal's new weapon… Bullhorn-Manacles.
 
Garfield designed those so they could drill into any surface and trap the villains like chains on a wall.
 
Up on the rooftops, Manimal saw the crooks being hauled away. “A good days work… but the day is far from over.” he said to himself, and he began leaping across the roofs again.
 
 
More reports came in about the Manimal.
 
True the city still had the Teen Titans… but Manimal as a great new improvement. He was not only providing the city with extra protection, but he was even doing most of the work the Teen Titans didn't normally do.
 
Like, stopping every day robbers, and thugs on the street.
 
 
Some woman was being held at gun point by a punk. “Don't make me hurt you and just give me your purse!!”
 
“Please don't hurt me.”
 
“Hold it right there!” someone called.
 
The thug looked just in time to see Manimal charging at him like a bull, with the horns on his helmet pointed forward… WHAMM!! Right in the gut, and knocking him out cold.
 
Manimal gave the purse back to the lady. “You better not stick around when he wakes up.” he said to her, and he leapt out of sight.
 
 
“The guy protects us. He's like some Super-Human from the stars.”
 
“A guy who can act like an animal… sounds cool.”
 
 
It was getting late on a Sunday night…
 
Manimal looked around to make sure no one was watching. Then he fired one of his grappling hooks and swung down through an open window to his apartment.
 
Once safely inside, he removed his battle-helmet revealing the face of Mild-Mannered, Garfield Logan. “Whew… what a night.” he said as he changed from his costume to his pajamas.
 
He yawned heavily as he climbed into bed. “The guys at school will never believe this… not even if I told them.” which he did not intend to do.
 
Super-Heroes kept their identity secret for good reasons.
 
First: Even though it can never be helped, and is necessary sometimes. Heroes like Manimal caused a lot of collateral damages… and he didn't want to get sued.
 
Secondly: If his identity was revealed, then every criminal in the town would after him, or someone he really cared about… and that was a thing Garfield couldn't let happen.
 
All he could do was lay low, under the guys of himself and Manimal, and help those in danger.
 
The next day
 
As Garfield was walking to school, he found lots of people reading the news paper about the Manimal, and he ever heard a few words of them giving compliments or questions.
 
“Loves his cape, it's so cute.”
 
“I wonder who he is?”
 
Garfield couldn't help but smile. It was at least a good start… people were starting to like him, even though they had know idea it was really him to begin with.
 
The downside to this, was the fact that he couldn't use any of his abilities, unless he was completely alone. It would blow his cover if he didn't.
 
Still, he did take the usual shortcuts, through the alleys to get to school, which were now unoccupied as bullies had fear of the Manimal.
 
But when he got to school… things were starting to go wrong again.
 
The very first thing he heard was Jackie, Jillian, and Terra reading the paper.
 
“Who is Manimal?” Jackie said. “He's got to be a criminal. That's what.”
 
“Yeah.” snapped Jillian. “A vigilante… public menace.”
 
Garfield stayed out of sight, but at least in earshot.
 
“Hey come on guys, that's not fair.” said Terra. “He pulled six people off of the subway before it crashed.”
 
“Sure… from a wreck he probably caused.” said Jillian. “Something goes wrong, and this creep shows up instead of the Teen Titans.”
 
“Yeah… and looks at this.” added Jackie. “He's fleeing the scene. What does that tell you? Trouble, I say.”
 
Terra disagreed completely. “He's not fleeing. He's probably just going off to help someone else. He's a Hero!”
 
“Then why does he wear a full suit and helmet?” asked Jackie. “What's he got to hide?”
 
Terra didn't need to hear anymore of this. “We better go, Class will start any minute.” and she left before they did, but Jackie and Jillian weren't through yet.
 
“Hey, your dad's a newspaper editor, right?”
 
Jillian nodded, and then she caught onto the scheme. “If Manimal doesn't want to be famous.”
 
“Then we'll make him infamous.”
 
The two girls sniggered wickedly. All they needed was to get a few good pictures of him, and then they could try and catch him in the act.
 
After School
 
Garfield had volunteered to wash the blackboards in most of the classrooms… and it was a good thing he was all alone too because it meant he could use some of his leopard speed to get the job done quicker.
 
Finally… he was done his last blackboard in the music-room, and he wasn't even tired. “Got to love this stuff.” he thought to himself.
 
He stopped for a minute to peek at the instruments in the rooms. “Cool.” He said to himself. “Wish I could be apart of this.”
 
Then he looked behind him at the different keyboards. It was those kinds of keyboards that could play several different instruments. In Garfield's opinion one would be able to be one-man band that way.
 
He couldn't help himself any longer. He sat himself down, turned one of the boards on, and began to softly play.
 
While outside… Terra was on her way early to her music group. As she walked through the hallway she heard the sound of someone playing Beethoven's Fur Elise.
 
“Wow… that music.” she said. “Who's playing that?”
 
She kept on walking towards the direction of the music until she made it to the music room, and she saw it was Garfield.
 
He finished playing, and Terra walked into the room. “Garfield?”
 
Garfield winced at the sound of her voice. “Oh… oh, Terra. Sorry I didn't know you were there.” he said.
 
Terra walked over to him. “You can play the keyboard?” she asked.
 
“Well… sort of.” he answered. “I read this book on pianists at the library, and took all its tips and words to heart. Besides… it helps me get along with my day, and calms my spirit.”
 
He went on telling her that he believed that music had a great power. A power that soothed the pain, and brightens up your day… and most importantly. “To some like me… music is the voice of the soul and can describe feelings and emotion.”
 
Terra looked confused. “What does that mean?”
 
“It means that when I'm feeling happy… my music would sound something like this.”
 
(Plays the Mr. Dress up theme)
 
Terra was liked the way that music sounded, and she even applauded softly when it was over. “And when I'm sad, and lonely.” replied Garfield. “It's like this…” and he played the same sad song from the Alphabet of Despair.
 
“Garfield.” Terra said. “I think I can understand all that.”
 
Garfield smiled. “Never underestimate the power of music… it always gives me a warm and comforting message.”
 
“…I am not alone.”
 
(Music cue)
 
He began playing two keyboards. One on piano-mode, and the other on a recording he listened to earlier, he pressed playback, and changed the keys to String-mode.
 
He began playing a song with many instruments. (When Robin the Muppet Frog sang, Over the Rainbow.)
 
(Garfield)
 
-Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby
 
-Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true
 
-Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me
 
-Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the ra
inbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
 
If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?
 
 
The song ended, and Terra didn't know what she was feeling, but she liked it. She felt so relaxed and so calm… like she didn't have a care in the world.
 
“You know… you should sign up and join the music group.” she suggested. “We've been looking for a keyboard player, as well as someone who understands and can make up songs.”
 
Garfield thought about it, but he did remember that Jackie and Jillian were part of the group, and they really hated his guts. “Awe, gee… I don't know… I'll think about it.” He said.
 
Then suddenly, he heard the sound of sirens whining in the streets. Something was wrong, and he had to check it out. “I got go now… see you tomorrow.” He said quickly and he left like lightning.
 
Terra thought that was pretty weird. One minute they seemed to really be getting along, and the next, Garfield was out of there. “Strange… what's got him so worked up.”
 
Meanwhile
 
Across town, a larger apartment building was on fire, and the five top-floors were really blazing.
 
The firemen succeeding in getting most of the people outside safely, but there was one woman who was struggling to try and get past the. “I have to get in there, my baby's inside.”
 
But the Fire Chief wouldn't let her go through, as the roof was going to blow. “No, you can't… I have to save my baby!” squealed the woman.
 
One of the witnesses looked up. “Hey! It's the Minimal.”
 
The Manimal was leaping along the rooftops into the danger zone.
 
“SAVE MY BABY… PLEASE!!!” screamed the woman.
 
Manimal nodded, and since his suit was flame, water, and electrical-proof, he fired his grappling hooks and swung into the burning building
 
Terra, and her friends had arrived on the scene. “What's going on?” Terra asked. The witnesses told her of what was going on, and that Manimal was up there.
 
Jackie and Jillian saw this as their chance, and got their cell-phone cameras ready.
 
Suddenly… BOOM!! The top of the building went crazy as the roof fell in. “NO!!” cried the woman not wanting to believe it was over, but just at that moment, Manimal leapt out of the window, and landed safely on the ground.
 
“It's okay, you're baby's fine.” he said as he handed the woman her crying baby.
 
“Oh, my baby.” the woman cried. “God Bless you, Manimal. Bless you.”
 
Manimal nodded, and then he leapt back up into the building, and using his new built-in, aqua-spray gun on his other gauntlet, he began spraying water around like a whale, and put out the fire enough to get it under control.
 
The citizens down below began cheering. Manimal saved the day again and he stood on the top another building, with his cape flying in the wind. “Take great care Gotham city… you have no fear while I am around.” then he was gone.
 
The crowd kept on cheering and Terra, she was really amazed. “Wow… that guy's really amazing.” she said to herself.
 
“Yeah he is.” Jackie muttered.
 
“And soon to be less Amazing.” added Jillian.
 
They both had snapped a lot of photos and already had some rotten ideas planned for Manimal. Whatever they were up to, it wasn't going to be pretty.