Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Aeternitas ❯ In Waiting ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Kazuki Takahashi owns YuGiOh! My name is not Kazuki Takahashi. Therefore I do not own YuGiOh!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


They were timeless and yet they were time itself, come forth since days immemorial when the earth was young and humanity scarce. There were three; Konomae, the past; Ima, the present; and last Shorai, the future. Together they were to be known as Eien, or Aeternitas, eternity. Two women and one man to represent all that was everlasting. In a temple of marble, erected to them by earlier ancestry of the Greeks, they resided to watch over the mortals and give them advice if necessary. Though, unfortunately, much of their advice went unheeded. Still, they reigned quietly as kings, queens, pharaohs, and emperors began to rise from the land around them.

****

"Bakura, you may as well give it up," a soft masculine voice interrupted the thoughts of a white haired man who had been quietly contemplating by a window.

He whirled on the voice's owner. "I am not giving up. For too long I've waited for this. I will find it."

Shaking out his silvery blond hair, the other man shrugged his shoulders almost gracefully. "Aeternitas is not something one finds when one is looking for it."

"Do you suppose, Malik, that it will just come to me while I sit here on my ass?"

Another shrug. "Perhaps. The saying has always been 'good things come to those who wait.'"

Bakura sneered and snorted laughter, "Those who wait get last pickings. The bottom of the barrel. Nothing of value nor importance." He straightened up in his arm chair, unbuttoning his pale blue overshirt and tossing it over the back of the chair in favor for the white t-shirt beneath. "I don't wait."

"Whatever, Bakura. It was just advice. I simply don't think that Aeternitas will appear for either of us, if you ask me."

"Obviously, I'm not asking you."

"Have it your way."

"I will."

With a sigh, Malik rose from his chair and left the room. He had had enough of Bakura's mindless obsession with Aeternitas, the Triumvirate of Eternity as it had become known in more modern legends. It would not be found, they did not want it to be found. Just because Bakura was stubborn did not mean they would simply appear to him. He shook his head, sure, the two had never been friends, but they had been each other's company for a long while. In that entire time, Bakura had obsessed over three things. The Millennium Items, all now safely held by the Pharaoh's present incarnation; revenge for the destruction of Kuruelna, his home in Ancient Egypt; and lastly Aeternitas. He had some insane notion that Aeternitas would grant him the wisdom of the ages so that he might take back the Items and have his revenge on the Pharaoh.

Malik figured he was sadly mistaken and that he was setting himself up for a great fall. For the past two years, he had tried to convince Bakura to give up this silly idea, but the ex tomb robber would not be swayed and it was all Malik could do to keeps his wits about him when Bakura went on his tangents. Now Malik rolled his eyes and slipped down the long hallway to his bedroom. He hoped that by the time he came back, Bakura would have left his present state of mind and forgotten about Aeternitas. If only for the moment.

****

"Look at this, Konomae, Shorai," Ima looked up from a great structure that rose in the very center of the temple. It was like a fountain, but waters did not shoot up into the air, instead they swirled around constantly and gave off a faint silver mist.

Shorai was the first to wander over to Ima's side and inquire as to what he needed. He pointed one slender finger at the waters of the pool and she peered into it with her dark eyes sparkling. It was then that Konomae found the two studying the waters intently and she too joined them out of curiosity. Once they were all gathered around the pool, the waters began to swirl fast until they were going so fast it was like they weren't moving at all. Within these waters images began to appear.

With a girlish chuckle, Konomae said, "He's cute."

Shorai grinned, "Try yummy."

Ima rolled his dark brown eyes and motioned for them to continue looking.

What they saw was the disagreement between Bakura and Malik, and the three understood all implications and notions on either's behalf. Slowly the waters began to calm until they became glassy and opaque once more. Ima turned to his sisters and shrugged his bare shoulders gracefully. "What do we think?"

Konomae smiled gently, "It has been a long time since someone thought of us." She left the side of the fountain in favor of a pile of plush, richly colored pillows where she laid herself down and regarded Shorai and Ima with calm chocolate colored eyes.

Silence abounded then in the great hall of Aeternitas. So let me tell you of their appearances while the three are thinking.

First, Konomae, the past. She was a beautiful young woman with a graceful figure and flowing locks of umber colored hair. Her face was always smiling, always mischievous, as if there was a constant joke that only she understood. Most often she was found in a dress resembling that of ancient Roman tunics, done up in a rich crimson with velvety black bordering. Her feet were always bare, toenails at present painted to match the tunic and a silver anklet glittering from just above her left foot.

Ima, the present, was the male of the group. He had rich, dark hair and the same chocolate eyes. A lithe frame and muscular chest, smooth stomach. For the time he had chosen a simple kilt of pale linen and no decoration, save for the belt of silver metal loops that encircled his waist. A single chain hung around his neck, flashing against the bare skin there. Unlike Konomae, he had chosen a pair of sandals for his feet, with lacing that encircled his entire calf.

And, lastly, Shorai. The future. Like the others, she too had dark eyes. A rich caramel in color and always sparkling with some form of curiosity and mischief. Wavy, golden red hair tumbled down just a little ways past her shoulders, brushing the thin straps of her flimsy dress. It was a pale olive green number that reached just to her knees and both her fingernails and her toenails had been varnished to match. Like Konomae, she was happily barefoot most of the time although every once in a while she might slip on a pair of sandals much like Ima's. Several golden rings glittered from her fingers.

"I should like to see this man," she spoke softly, taking a seat cross legged in the pillows beside Konomae. "After all, Konomae was right when she said it has been a long time since anyone thought of us." She folded her delicate hands in her lap and gave each of her siblings a meaningful gaze.

Ima, however, looked skeptical. A frown appeared on his face as he asked, "But is this even worthy of our time? We all know what he's going to ask of us." He turned to Shorai, "Or at least, I'm sure you know."

She smiled whimsically. "I do."

"No one said we had to give him what he asks for. We simply want to... meet him. After all, he has been obsessed with finding us for some time. I'm surprised we didn't find out about him sooner, especially now." Konomae shrugged, as if she didn't care about what she was speaking. Her arms wrapped around one of the plush pillows and she rested her head on it as Shorai did the same.

With a sigh, Ima put up his hands in surrender. "Fine, we shall find a way to summon this mortal and bring him to us. Still I do not think it a good idea."

Shorai rolled her eyes and stood, tossing her pillow back into the pile. "Can I summon him?" she asked with a twinkle to her gaze.

"What are you thinking, dear sister?" Konomae gave Shorai a look of inquiry, but the grin that soon spread across the Future's face was unmistakable. "Ha! Shorai, you are hopeless!"

Ima rolled his eyes and sighed, "Go summon the mortal. But... don't let him know you're eien, okay?"

"Of course, dear brother." Leaning over she gave him a kiss on the cheek, lent a grin to her sister and then suddenly she vanished.

Ima looked to Konomae then. "Why do I continue to feel like this isn't such a good idea?"

A merry laugh escaped Konomae, "Because you know our lovely sister."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Ah, so I hope everyone enjoyed this! I'm not going to post anymore chapters though unless I get some reviews. Otherwise I'll have reason to believe that no one's reading this, and if no one reads there's no good reason for me to post anymore. ~ AoA