Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Aeternitas ❯ The Request ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
First off, I'd like to say that I am VERY sorry about the long wait in between chapters! I almost thought I'd lost the pace of the story, but thankfully I've managed to pick it back up again. Also, thank you for the reviews! They make me feel very happy and appreciated ::passes out Malik/Bakura plushies to everyone:: --- AoA

----------------------------------------------------------------

At last the dinner plates had been cleared and the party of five had moved into another room. It was more like a living room, although it lacked proper couches or chairs. Instead there were soft spills of fabric and piles upon piles of plush pillows. The members of Aeternitas were lounging in a single pile, colored with splashes of vibrant orange, veridian and golden cloth. Shorai absently picked at the end of her robe, eyes avoiding the two men sitting before them looking rather uncomfortable without adequate chair backs to support them.

Finally, someone spoke up, and as might have been expected it was Ima. He addressed Malik and Bakura, "We've come to understand there is something you want from us. I would dance around the subject matter more, perhaps try and understand the two of you, but this is something that cannot be avoided for long."

With a gentle shrug of his shoulders, Bakura started to speak, but he was cut off by Shorai.

"Before you ask of us what your heart desires, please consider the consequences. Although, we are not obligated to grant this, if we do, you must understand what will happen."

From beside her, Konomae nodded. "Often you humans want so much more than can be given to you. And if you achieve possession of everything you want, often there are dire outcomes. I do not know the future, as my sister does, but I do know how it has turned out in the past."

Bakura nodded and remained silent for several moments before he said, "I know what I want, the only thing now is if you'll give it to me." His eyes darted to Shorai, but the expression in them, whatever it was he wanted to convey, was lost on her because she had turned her gaze to one of the high arched windows that spread throughout the room.

"And is there anything you wish to ask of us, Malik?" Ima asked. His dark gaze took in the silent boy, whose eyes widened before he shrugged.

"I don't know, I really only came because Bakura did."

Konomae replied, "But there is nothing you desire?"

"Oh, there are plenty of things I want. But nothing... significant enough to ask Aeternitas for!" Malik chuckled to himself. A long time ago, he might have answered differently. Then again he had been someone different then, someone with a darker, more malicious side to his soul. Times had changed however, and he was no longer that person.

Both Konomae and Ima laughed at that one, but Shorai remained silent. She had turned to look at Malik and Bakura but there was a deeply thoughtful look on her face. Because it seemed appropriate, she managed a smile but still kept quiet. During the ensuing silence, her eyes locked with Bakura's and they shared a gaze, one that held many unspoken questions on Bakura's behalf and the enigmatic answers to them on Shorai's part. The moment was broken when Konomae's hand descended to Shorai's arm and gave a gentle squeeze. When the Future looked up, she found a knowing look on the Past's face before Konomae shook her head just briefly and they returned their gazes to the boys.

"Bakura," Shorai finally spoke, her voice cool and distant, detached. It no longer reminded Bakura of the tinkling chimes; instead it brought to mind long nights in the desert when one prays for the return of the sun. Despite trying to keep a straight posture, he found himself shuddering. The Future continued, "Tell us what you so desire and we shall adjudge to its granting." Her dark eyes were sparkling, with power or mischief, Bakura wasn't sure, but he found himself distracted by it before Malik lightly tapped him on the shoulder.

He came back to himself with a shake of the head. Bakura straightened himself up, taking a little bit of time to straighten his clothing, before replying. "I wish to acquire the Millennium Items, every one of them."

Assuming an unusual air of leadership, Shorai rose gracefully to her bare feet and nodded deeply to them. With sweeping motion of her hand, she beckoned that her siblings rise as well, which they did without question, despite a concerned look on either's face. "We shall deliberate and return upon our decision." After another sweeping motion of her hand, the Future was disappearing within a pale lavender cloud of sparkling mist.

Ima and Konomae exchanged another glance, before giving Malik and Bakura a nod of their own and disappearing off after their sister.

****

When the Past and Present found their sister, it was outside, underneath thousands of shining stars and the pale, quarter moon. She had removed the gauzy headwrap from earlier and it now lay discarded at the pooling base of her dress. Her face was turned towards the sky, eyes closed as she breathed in deeply. Although her siblings had been standing outside for a few moments already, she made no effort to let them know she'd noticed them. It was not until Konomae's hand found its way to her shoulder that she dropped her head and regarded them quietly.

"I know we are supposed to be mediating on the tomb robber's request, but first I must know what is bothering you, Shorai," Konomae said softly. She made a conscious effort to let all of her concern flood her face.

"Yes," Ima added in agreement. "Why do you look so forlorn?"

Shorai took a deep breath and let it out in a bland whoosh. "Because, I know what we will say to him. And I know what will happen because of it."

The two nodded slowly, before Konomae said, "But you forget, anything we grant may be undone with only a change of our whim. What has you so worried?"

However, Shorai shook her head, sending her hair over her shoulders in a splay of silver beneath the moonlight.

Ima sighed softly, knowing that nothing more could be pried from her. Instead he turned to Konomae and said, "In light of this, I'm assuming that we are to say 'yes' to them?" His dark eyes sparkled with thought as he awaited Konomae's answer.

The Past shrugged. "I assume so. Is this right, Shorai?" She turned with an elegant shrug of her shoulders. Unsurprisingly, the Future had returned to staring up at the sky as if it might hold some answer that she herself did not have. Konomae snorted softly, a wry expression crossing her features as she pulled her deep chestnut hair over one shoulder. Shorai did not respond to her and Konomae took that to mean that it was indeed correct. She returned to the expectant look of her brother, "Let us go and tell them now."

****

When Aeternitas reappeared they found Malik and Bakura still sitting upon the overstuffed pillows. They assembled themselves before the two and all three nodded sagely when their gaze was returned by both of them. "We have your answer," Ima spoke, turning to either side to make sure neither Shorai nor Konomae had anything to add. Both the women nodded and Ima looked to the two boys.

Bakura's face had gone from patiently expectant to eagerly demanding. Under the cool weight of Aternitas's gaze and their somewhat dramatic silence, he found himself sweating with impatience. He wanted to scream, 'Get it over with!' but he knew that would not go over well with them. Even Malik looked desperate to hear the answer, his pale violet eyes wide with anticipation as sweat beaded on his forehead as well.

With a serene smile on either's face, Shorai and Konomae replied in unison, "Your desire shall be granted."