Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Relic or Lost Love? ❯ Only One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alex moped around the school the next few days and weeks, not focusing on anything anymore. Rumors started to spread, and she didn't care. Many social workers came to check on her, but she always pretended not to be home, because soon enough they would send her away. To a new, so called family. But what would they be taking her away from?

She has nothing to be taken from, but the only home she has known, and the memories stored away in the walls of the empty apartment. She couldn't stand it much longer, but she strived to keep going on. Alone, because she couldn't win one lousy duel. 'It's all my fault she's gone,' she would keep telling herself.

'You can't keep beating yourself up about it. It wasn't your fault. I should have helped you much more then what I did. I failed you.' It was that voice again. Popping in every once in a while, comforting Alex, but not even she could figure out where it was coming from. But in some way she wasn't afraid of it, and she didn't want it to go away, she wanted it to stay and keep comforting her in her time of need. Maybe she was going crazy, but that voice felt like another person, and maybe that other person is the only one that she could trust in this time of need. Where her once great duo containing of her and her mother had broken apart, there was another presence. And for the first time in her life, Alex was able to trust in another once again, even if it was just her imagination.

When walking to school, Alex actually had a smile on her face. She had found something as a driving force to help her get up in the morning and keep up in school. Even though she never really heard the voice unless she was feeling really down, she was happy that there was something or someone behind her, with her. And she had her suspicions about where it came from, but nothing stood out to her more then the bracelet on her wrist. Ever since she put the bracelet on, she had always felt the presence of something or someone else with her, and it helped her through knowing she wasn't alone.

Over the last weeks Alex had continued with her duels, vowing never to lose again and to find the monster that took her mother away from her. She also started to study Egyptian history, names, places and people. She soon was the most educated girl in Egyptian history in her class. When they had studied it only a few weeks ago, she got really into it, and volunteered as much as she could. This was very uncommon, and upset the teachers who knew her the best.

Alex walked across the school basketball courts on the last Friday of the school year. She heard a small whisper of a meow . . . like a kitten. Alex looked to her left and saw a bag by a dumpster at the end of the school property. She looked around and when seeing no one she ran to the dumpster and opened the small bag. What was inside shocked her. There were a litter of kittens in the bag, but all were dead. They looked like they were drowned then put in the bag and dumped.

"This can't be right. I heard meowing," she pushed at each kitten and waited for a sound. And at the bottom of the bag a small kitten yelled out at her. It was the runt of the litter; she could see the difference in size. It was black, with its face, paws, and the tip of its tail splattered with white. It looked up at her with golden eyes. The kitten was very skinny and Alex knew that there wasn't much time before the kitten would die. She put the small kitten in her gym clothes and put it securely in her bag, and started to walk home. There was no longer a need to go to school that day. And besides, there would be no learning.

Later at home, Alex made a small bed for the young kitten and started making some milk that she bought on her way home. As she was warming up the milk, she tried to find how old the kitten was. She took some of the wet cat food that she also bought and put it in front of the kitten. To her surprise the kitten started eating. "Well, never mind the milk, huh?" she petted the kitten's head. "Well, you're at least six weeks old. That's when most kittens start eating on their own." The kitten sat back on its back legs, looked up at Alex, and gave her a little meow. Alex smiled and took the kitten in her hands, "Now are you a girl or a boy?" She took a look, "You're a girl. And now the problem of naming you." She put the kitten down and watched it as ran over to a piece of cloth and started playing with it.

The kitten crouched and walked around it cautiously, then pounced. "Aw, so you're a hunter- ur, huntress. Let's see huntress . . . huntress . . . it think that it is Neit in Egyptian. That's your name, Neit." * A/N: Pronounced "Night". * The kitten looked up at Alex with the mention of her new name. "Wow, I guess you already know your name, huh?" The kitten gave another small meow and began playing with the cloth again.

About another week went by and Neit soon gained back the weight that she desperately needed. Alex had saved some money to buy Neit a collar, so that she wouldn't get caught in the same situation that she was in when Alex found her. Alex liked the freedom that the summer gave her, she didn't have to worry about projects or teachers watching her every move. She was pretty much free to do what ever she wanted. Until one day a woman came to her door.

Alex woke up with a loud knock on the front door. She opened her eyes and was face to face with Neit. "Good morning Neit." Neit gave her a small meow and started to purr and nudge against Alex's face. "Alright I'm up," Alex made her way to the bathroom and got ready. She nearly forgot about the knocking at the door, but it wasn't long before the knocking began again. She dried her hair and made her way out to the den where Neit was scratching at the door. "Alright, I guess that you won't let me alone unless I answer."

Alex opened the door and saw a woman in a suit staring at her. "Can I help you?" she asked. "Yes, your name is Alex Corplet, right?" the woman's voice was smooth and little too high for Alex's liking. She wore a black pantsuit that made her look very professional. "Yeah that's me. What do you want?"

"My name's Angie. Can I come in?" Alex looked at her, "Sure."

Alex picked up Neit and let her in to sit in the den. Alex sat on the loveseat as Angie took a seat in a chair from the dinning table. "I know that you've been living by yourself, Alex."

"What are you talking about?"

"Your mother has left and-"

"She didn't leave," Alex said bluntly.

"Then where is she?" Angie leaned forward in the seat.

"She was taken," Alex said as she started to pet Neit who was lying comfortably in her lap.

"And you didn't report it?"

"No one would believe what happened."

"What did happen?" Alex just kept her mouth shut and stared at the woman. "We got off on the wrong foot didn't we?"

"Even if we didn't, you're going to take me from my home."

"There isn't much use for a home without family."

"I have a family."

"There is only one person here, Alex! And that is you! Your mother is gone!" Angie yelled at her, "You're sixteen years old! There is no way. You have to come with me."

"To a new family right? A better life?" Alex jumped up and looked at Angie.

"It's better then staying here, wallowing in sorrow."

"Take a look," Alex waved her hand over the room, "Does it look like a sty? I've kept it up, I now have a job, and I earn money. I can take care of myself until I can get my mother back." Angie started to walk toward Alex. Neit jumped up on Alex's shoulder and hissed at Angie. "Look, you have to go."

"Get out of my house." Angie left out the front door. Alex sat on the loveseat and looked all around the house. Familiarizing with all the rooms, all the furniture, and all the memories. She knew the woman would be back, and she packed her most valuable things in a bag. Her dueling cards, Neit's toys, a picture of her and her mother, and few items of clothing. She looked down at her wrist where the bracelet gave off a soft glow.

Alex soon heard the doorbell, "Come on Neit. We have to go. The only way they'll leave us alone is to go." Alex walked out to the big van and looked at the people, and went without dispute. "The only thing I ask," Alex said looking at Angie who returned with the rest of the people, "Don't sell the house. I will come back with or with out my mother." Angie just nodded her head and closed the door after Neit jumped up on her lap. Alex was on her way to a new home that was already decided for her. She leaned her head on the window of the car as she watched her home become a small dot in the distance.

***

Yugi looked up at his high school. Now in his junior year he has been through many trials, and one of the biggest ones he had to face toward the end of the vacation. One of his best friends, Tèa, had to move with her family to the next state over. Each one of them promised to mail Tèa every chance they had. Everyone knew that it was worse for Yugi then anyone else. He and Tèa were very close, but none of them could stop it from happening, and all of them knew that no one would ever break their friendship.

Yugi, Joey and Tristin have made it through summer, and now are ready for school. "Now, I wouldn't say that Yug," Joey said as they entered the main hall of the school.

"Oh come on Joey," Yugi said turning his head to his left, "We're probably as ready as anyone else is, maybe even more."

"Yeah right," Joey hung his head low. Yugi and the other two walked into the bathroom to fix their hair. Yugi looked at himself in the mirror. Now as tall as Joey and Tristin, Yugi was no longer the shrimp in the group. Most girls were now noticing, but he didn't really bother to pay attention. He still wore the millennium puzzle around his neck, almost never letting it out of his sight.

"You so sure this is our year, Yug? I mean, with Tèa leavin' and all-" Tristin jabbed Joey in the side to shut him up as they headed out the door. "Hey! Watch it Tristin!"

Tristin just rolled his eyes and kept walking down the hall. Yugi kept his eyes on the ground. Sure he missed Tèa and all, but he just wanted to forget about the whole deal at the moment. The three boys entered their home room and saw Bakura by one of the windows. "Hey Bakura, how are you doing?" Yugi came up to him as Joey and Tristin went to scope the new girls in the home room.

"Alright. And you?"

"Good as can be expected on the first day of school." They both laughed then took their seats as the teacher began to take roll. The desks were made for two students each, but no one chose to sit by Yugi since Joey and Tristin were at one desk, and Bakura was sitting with another friend. Yugi looked behind his seat to see both Tristin and Joey rubbing the sides of their faces. Apparently the new home room girls weren't too thrilled with their new pick-up lines. The teacher kept down the line eventually going through "Motu, Yugi."

"Here," all the way down to "Wheeler, Joey."

"Here."

"Alright that seems to be everyone," the teacher put down his roll sheet and turned toward the board. "Let's get started-"

"Excuse me, Mr. Flitchmen. I have a new student."

"Oh, come right in, Principal Podub." The principal was a short pudgy woman with a cheery outlook, at least most of the time. She entered the classroom and turned to the students. "Everyone, this is Alex Corplet," a girl stepped into the room. She wore a pair of blue cargo pants with black pockets and underneath a blue denim vest she wore black tube top. She had her backpack slung over one shoulder and everyone looked at her hair which was streaked with black and cut just below her shoulders.

Some of the class began to whisper to one another, most of the girls' voices carried over to Alex's ears. "Is that hair style for real?" Alex looked down at the floor, but then looked at her wrist when she felt a warm sensation. The bracelet began to give a light glow, and then slowly dulled to the shiny gold. Alex looked around, but nothing seemed to be wrong, it can't be warning.

The principal began again, "She has just transferred here from far away. Go ahead and tell us about yourself, dear."

"Oh great another speech-" Joey and Tristin both just turned to see the new student and their jaws dropped. "She's a babe! Hey Yugi, check it out."

Yugi had his head down the whole time trying to figure out what to say back to Tèa from her last letter. He looked up after Joey pushed the back of his head and looked at the girl. "I'm not really one for talking," Alex simply said.

"Alright, I understand. Well welcome," the principal said goodbye to the teacher and walked out of the classroom. Mr. Flitchmen shook Alex's hand and Yugi gasped in surprise. "What's up, Yugi?" Tristin asked from behind him.

"Look on her left wrist. She has a millennium item," Yugi kept his eyes on the gold item, until the teacher woke him up from his thoughts. "Mr. Motu, please raise your hand." Yugi did as he was told, "Go ahead and sit next to him. It's the only empty seat." Alex nodded her head and sat down, sharing a desk with Yugi. He turned his head forward so he wouldn't stare. "Hey, welcome. My name's Yugi," he greeted her from the side of his mouth. She turned her head to look at him. She had a surprised expression on her face, 'No one ever gave me a warm welcome. Ever.' She narrowed her eyes at him, trying to figure out how he is different; trying to figure out what influenced him to even attempt a warm welcome like that. He turned his head toward her and smiled. He pushed out his hand under the desk for a hand shake. She looked down at his hand. "Thanks anyway," Alex pushed his hand back, "But I'm not into the whole friend thing either."

Yugi looked at her surprised, 'Something has happened to her that shouldn't happen to anyone. I can feel unbearable pain.' He watched her profile as she took out her notebook and began to write the notes on the board.