Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mood Ring ❯ Unveiling Emotions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mood Ring
 
By Liz
 
So, I like this story a lot, and I decided to update it now. Lucky you guys, for I have not wallowed in writer's block!
 
***
 
He had completely baffled the doctors. Not one could find out what was wrong with him. How could a person fall into a deep coma and then wake from it without any signs of damage?
 
Yami too was baffled. But what was more baffling was how after a few days, everything returned to what it once was. The tension returned, the awkwardness returned.
 
And Yugi's obsession with the ring returned.
 
What exactly could one see in such a small object? This thought plagued Yami day after day. It's a ring! It's not even considered `new' anymore! He began pacing in the living room. I just don't understand!
 
His thoughts were interrupted by his aibou passing by him on his way to the kitchen. Yugi hadn't been at school for the last few days, the doctors insisted on at least a week's worth of rest, and had usually been locked in his room.
 
Yami couldn't take it anymore. He and Yugi were too far apart now, and it was all due to him. All the uncomfortable and short conversations, all the awkward stares, and all the tense passing-bys had gotten too far out of hand.
 
He needed to speak to his aibou.
 
“Aibou,” Yami said as Yugi strolled past him once more. The smaller turned at the sound of his name, slowly walking toward the other teen.
 
“Yes?” Yugi asked as he stood in front of him.
 
“I—” Yami started. One look into those soft wondrous eyes rendered Yami speechless. He could do nothing but stare at Yugi and resist all thoughts in his mind.
 
Yugi started to feel anxious under the intense glare, wanting to remove himself from the situation as quickly as possible. This happened on many occasions, but he could never quite understand why Yami's gaze was so piercing. He took his own gaze to the floor.
 
As if pulled from a trance, Yami continued. “I—aibou. Look. I can tell that you and I are having some troubles.”
 
Yugi sighed. “Troubles, indeed.”
 
“I want to make it better, aibou.” Yami said. “I want us to be close again. I want to—” He held back his next thoughts.
 
“Want to what, Yami?” Yugi asked.
 
The tension was thick in the air as Yami fumbled with an answer. How do I explain this? He thought. How do I explain that the one thing I want to do is take him in my arms and never let go? To run my hands over his smooth skin; to be his one and only.
 
“Yugi, I...” A sudden chime of the doorbell interrupted the conversation. Yami sighed, feeling relief as Yugi left to answer the door. He sat down on the couch, bringing a hand to his forehead. Why is love so strenuous?
 
“Jounouchi!” Yami heard. “Come in!”
 
After that the room was filled with another presence. Yami stood up, greeting the blonde with a “hello” and an offering of the couch.
 
“Nah, it's cool.” He answered. “I just wanted to check to make sure Yugi was alright.”
 
Yami nodded in understanding. He remembered back to the hospital, when the two of them were in Yugi's room, and just how many emotions were flowing through the air. You love him, don't you?
 
“I'm just fine.” Yugi said, following right behind Jounouchi. “Just a bit tired, but nothing more. How are you doing?”
 
Jounouchi smiled. “I'm doing just fine. I'm glad to hear the same from you.” He paused, eying the boy in front of him before giving another small smile. “I see you're still wearing my gift.”
 
Yugi held up his hand, nodding with excitement. “I've never taken it off!” Its blue color shone for Jounouchi's eyes.
 
“I'm glad you still like it.” He responded. “I'm also glad that you're okay.” He pulled Yugi into a hug. “I'm very glad.”
 
Yami forced himself to look away as Yugi returned the hug. “Thanks, Jounouchi.”
 
Jounouchi buried his head in Yugi's hair, taking in the sweet smell of his shampoo. He could only wish to hold Yugi forever, breathing in his scent and kissing his smooth skin. Heaven on Earth, some might say.
 
Yugi slowly pulled away smiling. He stared back at the ring in enjoyment, becoming lost in that strange trance that it gave him. He turned his hand over to look at it from all sides, a growing smile for his prized possession.
 
“Well, I need to go now.” Jounouchi said, a little unnerved by the small wave he received in return.
 
“I'll walk you out.” Yami said.
 
Jounouchi turned towards the exit. “Yeah,” He looked back at Yugi. “Alright.” He followed Yami outside, turning around to face him fully as they got to the front door.
 
“You know,” Jounouchi said. “as much as I love the fact that he likes my gift.” He met Yami's eyes. “It kinda creeps me out.”
 
“Yes,” Yami responded. “It's a little odd how much he enjoys looking at it.” He shrugged it off, for now. “New gift obsession? You know how it can be.”
 
“Yes I do,” Jounouchi responded. “I'm just worried about how far this may go.” He opened the door behind him. “See ya later.”
 
Yami sighed as the door closed. You and me both, Jounouchi.
 
***
 
Yami made his way back into the living room, and back to a Yugi who hadn't moved from where he was standing. Yami too had felt unnerved by the way Yugi was looking at the ring. It was all too, weird.
 
“Aibou?”
 
“Yes, Yami?” the ring in front of his face turned a deep shade of red. “Is there something you want?”
 
“Are you alright?”
 
Yugi began to pace around Yami. “I'm just fine, Yami.”
 
A strange emphasis on his name made Yami question what was happening. “Aibou...”
 
Yugi stopped in front of Yami, staring up at him. “Yami,” He began. “Are you in love with me?”
 
Yami froze. “Aibou?”
 
“I'll ask again. Are you in love with me?”
 
Yami stared into Yugi's eyes, sensing a new emotion he had never seen before. Yugi had put him on the spot about his feelings. Had I been that obvious?
 
“Aibou, what is going on?” Yami asked. “Why do you want to know?”
 
“Ah,” Yugi said. “Evading the question, I see. Well, I have my own ways of finding out.” He thrust himself forward touching his chest with Yami's. He placed a hand on Yami's face, cupping it with his soft fingers, and pulling him in for a sensual kiss.
 
Yami was stunned. What is going on? He pushed Yugi away. “What has gotten into you?”
 
“Only you,” He responded, throwing himself in for another kiss. He pushed Yami down onto the couch, intending to heat up their session.
 
The senses surrounded Yami. The taste of his lips, the softness of his hands, the scent of his skin. Yami couldn't help but kiss back this time. It was what he had always dreamed he could never have. He pulled Yugi's body closer, reveling in his warmth, deepening the kiss with the parting of his lips.
 
It was all too much at once. Yami pushed Yugi away. “Aibou, Yugi, what are you doing?”
 
Yugi leaned in against Yami again, lying on top of his body, his face inches from another kiss. “What does it look like I'm doing, Yami.” Yugi's eyes were half lidded indicating his want. Yami could almost see a flash of red in those purple eyes. “I'm kissing you.” He reached out his left hand and placed it on Yami's face.
 
Yami grabbed the hand, pulling it away from him. “This isn't like you at all, Yugi.” Now on a first name basis to emphasize the seriousness of the situation. He felt Yugi entwine their hands together, feeling the warmth of his flesh on his. Feeling the contrast of the ring's cool surface with burning skin.
 
Yami suddenly pulled Yugi's hand to his face, staring at the ring. It was colored a deep red and screaming desire.
 
“Yugi,” Yami said as Yugi began kissing his neck. “Yugi, stop.” When Yugi refused, Yami forced him away. “Yugi, do you love me?”
 
“Of course.”
 
Something wasn't right. “Honestly?”
 
“Yes, Atemu.”
 
Yami stood up immediately, knocking Yugi to the floor. He looked down at him, frowning sadly before slowly walking out of the house.
 
The ring turned a hazy yellow. “Yami? Where are you going?” He walked to the window to see an angry Yami storming away. He let his head fall against the glass, letting out a sigh. “It's not working...”
 
***
 
He never calls me that! Yami walked faster. Yami had given up on his pharaoh name because it reminded him too much of the past. Yugi had asked him why he preferred “Yami” one night when they were still close.
 
“Because, aibou, that name represents who I was in the past. I am a completely different person now. I want the name you gave me to be associated with a `starting over'. A life, in this time, with you.”
 
He never liked calling me by my past name! Yami began running. I like the name he gave me. It's something I cherish every time he uses it.
 
He had been running for quite some time now, only slowing down to catch his breath from the lack of stamina. He gazed at his surroundings, wondering just where his legs had taken him. In front of him was a familiar face, who just moments had left him to head home.
 
“Jounouchi!” Yami shouted, running toward his blonde friend.
 
Jounouchi turned around. “Yami? What are you doing here?”
 
“I need to talk to you, to anyone!” He got out between gasps of air. “Something...something very weird just happened. Something that I can't quite explain.”
 
Jounouchi became worried. “What? What happened?”
 
“Yugi...” He said. “Yugi, advanced on me.”
 
Jounouchi raised an eyebrow. “He what?
 
“He was kissing me, Jounouchi.” Yami walked over to a nearby bus stop bench. “He was on me, kissing me, and touching me, and—” he sat down. “and I don't know why.”
 
Jounouchi's heart sunk. So that's it, then. He sighed. He loves Yami. He sat down next to Yami. It's not like I had a chance anyway.
 
“What did you do?” Jounouchi asked. “Did you kiss him back? Push him away?”
 
Yami paused for a moment, the memories flooding back into his conscience. He closed his eyes, remembering exactly how Yugi felt. He was so soft...
 
“I...I pushed him away.” Yami said. “I asked him what he was doing, but he just gave me obvious answers. `Kissing you, Yami.' But I never knew why.”
 
Jounouchi looked at his concerned friend. “Did he confess his love to you?”
 
“That's the thing,” Yami said. “We had never spoken of the subject before. At all. He just jumped all over me.” Yami buried his face in his hands.
 
“Do you love him?”
 
Yami gasped. He hit the nail right on the head. “Would it matter? I hadn't said anything to him anyway.”
 
“So you do love him.”
 
Yami looked at the concrete beneath him. “Yeah.” He sighed. “I think we both do.” His gaze returned to Jounouchi.
 
They sat in silence for a few minutes, both realizing that their heaviest emotions had just been discovered. It was nice to know that they weren't alone, but at the same time, they knew the trouble it could cause.
 
“You know,” Yami started. “He called me Atemu. It's not like him at all. He didn't like that name.”
 
Jounouchi broke from his thoughts. “He has been acting strange. Ever since his birthday. It's almost like he's not himself anymore.”
 
“We need to do everything we can to bring him back, Jounouchi.” Yami said. “I...love him.”
 
Jounouchi nodded in understanding.
 
***
 
Ta da chapter two. Please review!