Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Tomb Robbers At Heart ❯ Ryou's New Personality ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tomb Robbers at Heart

Chapter 1: Ryou's New Personality

"What do you think this will fetch at the bazaar, Ryou?" Bakura asked his hikari.

Ryou examined the jewelled necklace dangling from Bakura's fingers, and grabbed it. He turned it over in his hands.

"I don't know, yami. Maybe... five hundred?" he offered timidly.

"Thousand is more like it!" Bakura snorted. "See these rubies and emeralds embedded in the gold? Each of those alone would be worth five hundred!"

"Sorry, Bakura." Ryou sighed. "You know how inexperienced I am in tomb robbing!"

The darker half chuckled. "That's why we're here, aibou! I promised to teach you the ways of the thief!"

"You sound creepy when you said 'The ways of the thief'." said Ryou. "You've got to teach me how to do that with my voice!"

Bakura grinned. "In time, hikari, in time."

*

In the last few months, Ryou's personality had done an almost 180. He had transformed from the innocent, frightened, never-did-anything-wrong kid, to basically what Bakura was. A thief, grave robber, and a can't-go-five-minutes-without-commiting-a-terrible-crime kid. Bakura had promised to take him tomb robbing while his father was in an archeological dig in Egypt.

Ryou was certainly adopting Bakura's personality and attitude. He was actually smirking a lot, and his voice had changed from a soft english accent to a cold, harsh voice like his yami's. His hair was even growing more spikier, and it was starting to look messy like Bakura's.

His actions toward others showed, if possible, an even bigger change. He had started to approve of Bakura carrying a knife, and sometimes even used it himself. He also let Bakura be as violent as he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was even developing a friendship with him.

His actions to his friends were quite different. He often found himself staring at Yugi's Millennium Puzzle with a hunger in his eyes, and for a few seconds, would sometimes think about taking it from him. Ryou also found himself starting to hate the pharaoh at times. And instead of inspiring, at times he would find Tea's friendship speeches quite irritating.

(A/N: Good for him! ^_~)

Bakura had kept his promise to his hikari, and they were both currently robbing an undiscovered tomb hidden in the Valley of the Kings.

*

"By the way, yami. How did you find this place? I thought all the egyptian tombs were robbed already!" Ryou inquired.

"Why do you think your father is still digging here in Egypt? There are still things to be found, Ryou!" Bakura answered.

"But, I thought that all the tombs in the Valley of the Kings were plundered years ago!"

"No, there are actually quite a few undiscovered ones, like this one. A grave robber just has to know where to look!" Bakura smiled.

While taking a small golden statue of the Egyptian god Anubis that Bakura passed him, Ryou happened to glance at his watch.

"Oh no! My father will be at the hotel in an hour! We'll have to leave!" Ryou groaned. "And this was just getting fun, too!"

Bakura sighed. "Okay Ryou, grab what we've got so far, and let's split. We've got to hide this stuff in the hotel room before your father sees it."

Ryou nodded and grabbed what they had gathered so far. As they headed for the hotel where they were staying in Cairo, Ryou spoke.

"Can we come back tomorrow, Bakura?"

"Of course, Ryou, of course."