Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Whole Again ❯ Buried In The Sand ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yay, another ficcy by me who can't really afford to DO another ficcy, lol. I got already 8 others out that need to be updated, but ya know, I have my happiness too, so bleh :P Just enjoy this story, thats all I want you to do! ^-^

"Whole Again"

Chapter 1

Anzu Mazaki, a citizen of a small Egyptian town called Kyro, stepped from her adobe home, her blue hues looking to the cloudy sky. She smiled when she noticed the grayness in them, hopeful that the clouds would bring a well needed rain to their land.

She tugged at the gold collar plating around her neck, a very rare and special gift from her deceased mother. Her shirt consisted of slightly loose white cloth, that ended at her shoulder and went past her knees a bit, straw-like sandals on her feet.

She grabbed the midnight blue cloak from the side of her doorframe and put it on, seeing as she was going to go for a walk and it might rain.

She waved to the old woman who ran a small blacksmith that most of their town relied on as she waved back.

"Going for a walk again, Anzu?" She called in her croaky voice.

"Yes ma'am." She called back, smiling lightly. This woman was all she really had left in a family sort of way since her father had passed away in a battle to protect their town from a pack of wild bandits a couple weeks back. Her mother had just died from a rare disease a year ago, she missed both of them, but with the help of her friends Jounouchi and Honda, she found herself excepting it. So yes, she was pretty much alone in her three bedroom adobe home. Her parents being highly respected figures in the village, their house was much bigger and nicer than most of the other Egyptian citizens.

"Alright then, you be careful, a think a storm is brewin', looks like we'll be blessed with much rain this day."

Anzu nodded respectfully and pulled her cloak over her head, walking the near mile to the town entrance where she bowed to the guards and went through, out onto the sandy savanna.

She occasionally walked a few miles out into the desert just to clear her mind and be with the elements as they all respected them and were very grateful when rain came along, their village had prospered greatly with the rains they received this year.

Her hands clasped behind her back and the rolls of wind and thunder accompanying her, she walked a few good miles, humming a song her mother used to hum.

She stopped around what she guessed was a few good miles and was about to head back when she spotted a heap of something out in the sand a good hundred feet ahead of her. Her head tilted to the side and she squinted to hopefully figure out what that heap was, but it just looked like-a heap!

So, looking up to the dark clouds, she shrugged and walked toward it, the image becoming clearer with each step. It looked like the body of a man and something was in his arms.

She stopped around five feet away, crouching and eyeing the two figures cautiously. The man was holding a boy that had a mane of messy black hair. Seeing as both of them looked unconscious, she approached closer, poking the taller man, but he didn't move except his chest rising and falling very slowly.

They both had tattered clothes that were dirty and sand worn, dried blood visible here and there on the little boy, but the older one seemed covered in it.

She took a moment to consider whether she should take them back with her, but her heart couldn't refuse even if her instincts warned her not to. When she was solid on taking them back with her she took her cloak from her shoulders, knowing well that she alone couldn't carry both and she couldn't take one and come for the other cause the storm might be too strong by then.

She spread the cloak on the ground next to them, then laboriously put both of them on it, covering them with one half and grabbing an end, grunting as she pulled them behind her.

Yes, the sand made the effort easier, but it was still a very arduous task.

About a mile in from the town, the rain was already pelting down and Anzu was soaking wet, she had already knew better than to go through the entrance with these two strangers being dragged behind her, so she entered through a secret route she had made, grateful that everyone was inside their homes, since she was forced to use the street ways sometimes to get to her house.

She groaned as she drug them into her back door, closing the door once they were in the house and stretching with a tired sigh.

Even as tired as she was, she still had to attend to both of their wounds. The cloak was drenched, but had served well protection from the rain for the two even if she was wet.

Somehow she had managed to put the older boy in her parents bed and lay the younger on in her bed and now she sat next to the older boy, examining him. He had brown hair that slightly scattered into his closed eyes and he was very tall to say in the least, well built too she noted as she dressed the many gashes and what not lining his chest and sides.

When she finished with the smaller boy, she walked back upstairs with a bowl of cool water and a rag, setting it on the table by the older boys bedside. She dipped the rag in and rung it out when it was filled with water, folding it and gently patting the boy's forehead as she guessed he was around 2 years older than her, but who knew, looks could be mistaken.

He stirred and mumbled something intangible, then went still once more.

Anzu blinked, letting out a sigh and deciding to prepare some soup in case any of them woke up and for her also as she found she was sneezing every now and then, dreading the cold she knew was forming.

A few hours later, the rain was still steady outside as she headed back upstairs to check on the older boy since the younger was still sleeping, when she entered the room, her eyes widened a bit, when she saw the older boy sitting up and looking around with a look of mild panic, his eyes froze on her and Anzu thought she herself froze in his icy gaze.

"Who are you?" He asked hoarsely, looking alert.

"I'm-I'm Anzu Mazaki, I found you out in the desert, you're in the town of Kyro."

The boy studied her for a moment and he seemed to look worried and Anzu guessed why. "There was a little boy with you, he'd downstairs sleeping."

The older boy relaxed, but still eyed her edgily.

Anzu shifted a bit. "You're pretty beat up, I'd really appreciate it if you lay down."

He narrowed his eyes, slightly glaring. "Why do you care?"

"Um-well you're hurt." She said, stating the obvious nervously.

"So you brought me here without considering that I might be a ruthless killer? What if I decided to kill you right now?"

Anzu looked a bit stunned, but kept her composure. "Well then, I'd have to say, I've never seen a killer walking around with a little boy."

He smirked at her, laying down, but he was as watchful as ever.

Anzu nervously clasped her hands together. "I figure you are very hungry, I made some soup and fresh bread." She would've liked his name, but figured if it was personal he could keep it to himself.

The older boy was silent for a minute but nodded his head.

Anzu watched him for a second, then left the room, going back downstairs and warming up the soup she had made, severing a slice of bread from the large loaf, heading back upstairs once it was all done.

She reentered the room, trying to keep her eyes of the boy since his glare made her nervous though she could feel his blue hues staring through her already.

She set the tray down next to him, backing up, daring to look into his eyes as he edged himself up, grabbing the bowl of soup first. He lifted the spoon to his mouth, but stopped, looking to her rudely.

Anzu stared in confusion then jumped. "Oh, I'm sorry." She went to exit the room, but his voice stopped her. "No, sit down."

Anzu went a bit rigid, but grabbed a chair from the corner of the room, setting it a good foot from his bed and looking down at her hands.

"My name is Seto Kaiba." He told her, taking a mouthful of soup afterwards. He had decided to tell her his name seeing as he was at least around three or four suns away from his old homeland.

She blinked, but felt a bit better at least having something to call him. "Is that little boy your brother?"

Seto looked slightly surprised but just grunted, nodding his head.

"What's his name if you don't mind my asking?"

"Mokuba."

She nodded idly, trying to look interested in her feet. "Um-how'd you get here?" She got very nervous when he was silent for a while.

Seto side glanced to Anzu, deciding she was fit enough to be told the story. "Do you know the pharaoh, Yami?"

Anzu looked up, raising her brows. "Yes, he owns this land of course."

Seto ate another spoonful of soup. "Yes, well I tried to kill him, but unfortunately didn't succeed and had to run."

Anzu looked at him skeptically. "Why??"

Seto raised a brow, thoroughly surprised she wasn't up and screaming to the whole town that the Pharaoh's assassin was here. "Because, "I" didn't particularly want to but another side of me did."

Anzu looked at him in confusion. "So you're saying you were controlled? But how could you get so close to the pharaoh without being-"

He smiled slightly at her. "Nice observation. I was the pharaoh's priest. And I had the power of the millennium rod, although there was an evil spirit that resided in it, but I left it behind me. "But" I'm still wanted, so it looks like me and Mokuba will be on the run forever."

Anzu was still a bit puzzled, but she got it and she knew, her mother had told her, that as some millennium items were wonderful, they often held angry and power hungry spirits. An idea seemed to switch on in her head. "Um-you don't have to run. You can stay here."

Seto just glared at her. "I'm sure Yami will have men all over Egypt and seeing as he knows my identity, I have yet to be able to hide. And what about your parents and the other people of this town, they'll know soon enough and kill me-" He stopped, just eating his soup again.

Anzu knew he was about to refer to his brother and she knew he obviously cared a great deal about the little boy. She rolled her eyeballs upward, thinking hard. "Well, it may be hard for you, but if the pharaoh's men come, I can hide you, I have a very special room down stairs that's hidden from everything, when they come you can wait there till they're gone. Your brother and you will be denied very little sun, though you can be allowed on the roof sometimes, it's higher than the other buildings so you shouldn't be caught."

Seto looked at her in utter disbelief. "You know if we are caught you will be killed?"

Anzu hesitated, but smiled. "Very well then, if you're being accused for something you didn't do, I won't stand by and let you get killed, let alone Mokuba. He's too little, he hasn't had the chance to see life."

Seto looked at her more like she was stupid than helpful, but deep deep down he actually did feel thankful. "Hmph. Suit yourself."

Anzu frowned a bit. That was rude of him, but being the observant person she was, she knew he must have had a hard life somewhere to be the way he was, so she ignored him the best she could. "I'll go check up on your brother, just-yell if you need anything." She added sheepishly, leaving the room getting a good loud grunt from him.

She rolled her eyes, going downstairs and opening her bedroom door, but soon enough she was bulldozed to the ground, a scream escaping her lips, but a little hand was placed over her mouth and something sharp was held against her neck.

"Don't move or you're dead."

Anzu opened her eyes, looking at the little boy on her. "Uhmf!"

"It's ok, Mokuba, she's helping us." An amused voice came from the doorway.

"Big brother!" She heard the boy shout and jump off her, wrapping himself around Seto's waist.

Anzu sat up, blinking quizzically. "Geez, I feel like I got hit by a rhino." She mumbled.

"Oh, I'm really sorry, miss!" She heard the boy voice as he went and helped her up.

Anzu smiled down to Mokuba. "It's ok, that was very smart of you, I'm impressed." She laughed, making the boy blush.

Mokuba eyed his brother expectantly.

"Yes, I told her, Mokuba." He said, reading the boys thoughts.

Mokuba just seemed to tense up. "And she's ok with it?"

"Yes, she's letting us hide out here."

"But what if the pharaoh comes?"

"She has a secret hiding place."

Mokuba's eyes lit up as he looked over to Anzu. "Wow! Thanks a lot!"

Anzu beamed. At least someone was appreciative. "You're welcome."

Mokuba rubbed his stomach. "If you have any food to spare-"

"Of course!" Anzu interrupted him happily. "Just come in the kitchen and I'll fix you-" She wrinkled her nose and abruptly brought her hands to her mouth, sneezing loudly, then wobbling for a second. She shook her head tiredly. "Sorry." She said sheepishly as both stared at her. "Um-come with me please." She said, walking past Seto uneasily and heading into the kitchen.

Mokuba looked after her worriedly, but followed, looking up to his brother for a moment as he passed.

Seto just leaned in the doorway, watching Anzu busy herself in the kitchen. This girl was very weird, most people who would've heard the story he had told would be screaming and running in circles before he could explain why he had tried to kill the pharaoh. And by the way she was sneezing and with the rain pouring outside, he guessed she had got them here someway but ended up drenching herself, therefore catching a cold. Seto had never really met a person this kind, most people in the lower classes were babbling fools that bowed to anyone that was a threat to their life. But why should he care?

After Mokuba had stuffed himself so full he might burst, he excused himself after thanking Anzu profusely and went to her room to sleep more.

Anzu smiled. "Your little brother is very sweet."

Seto grunted, sipping the tea she had brewed.

Anzu gripped the counter top as she sneezed again, shivering slightly, but she went to cleaning the dishes.

"You shouldn't push yourself if you're sick." Seto commented, sipping his tea thoughtfully.

Anzu looked at him strangely for a moment then went back to cleaning. "I'm fine."

Seto rolled his eyes, shrugging. If she wanted to work herself to death, he didn't care.

When Anzu finished, she grabbed a cup of cool water and soaked a rag, going and sitting on the straw couch, resting her head on the back of it, placing the rag on her forehead, her breathing a bit rushed.

Seto watched her, a bit edgy with her stubbornness. After a few minutes, he got up irritably, walking over to her and crossing his arms. She was sleeping soundly.

He rolled his eyes as he took the rag off her forehead noticing the warmth of it. With a small sigh, he picked her up and put her in the bed he had originally been in, eyeing the cool bowl of water on the bedside table and reasoning to himself that he might as well help her keep in good health so she could cover for them.

* * * *

Anzu woke up abruptly to loud banging from downstairs, she immediately jumped from the bed she was in. Yami's guards! She instantly thought, rushing down the stairs dazedly, looking around for Seto and Mokuba, hoping they were hiding somewhere as she opened the door quickly, huffing expectantly, only to feel her heart nearly jump out of her chest as she saw the Pharaoh standing before her. "U-hm, y-your majesty!" She said, staring at him totally dumfounded.

Yami smirked. "May I come in?"

Anzu looked a bit irked, but quickly nodded, opening the door for him and his two guards to enter.

"Um, what may I say is the matter my pharaoh?" She asked.

"Just looking for someone very important to me." He answered, looking around. "You don't mind if I have a look around?" He asked.

Anzu gapped a bit, completely worried about Seto and Mokuba. "No, please, go ahead."

The two guards split off in different directions and Yami faced her, studying her thoroughly.

She fidgeted restlessly under his gaze.

"Something wrong?"

She twitched a bit and shook her head. "No, I just didn't expect you, I was sleeping when you came."

Yami raised a concerned brow. "Hmm, I'm very sorry then. I just really must find this person."

Anzu nodded, she didn't dare ask why. She became very nervous when he walked over, standing only a mere half foot from her, his face dangerously close as he rose a hand and placed it on her forehead. "You have a fever. Get caught in the rain?"

Anzu swallowed. "Yes. I-I was helping the sheep herder with his lambs and we got caught in the rain."

"But don't the sheep herders usually know if rain is coming beforehand?"

Anzu's quick and analytical mind immediately went to work. "A-a mother sheep was in labor when the storm came in and we couldn't move her, so we had to deliver the babies then."

A smirk broke out on Yami's face and he nodded, moving away from her to look at the kitchen thoughtfully.

Anzu let out a shaky breath, trying to relax, that was too close.

The guards reentered the living room, bowing to Yami respectfully. "Nothing here, your highness."

"Very well, we will head to the next house. Sorry to disturb you." Yami said, walking to the door, the guards assisting him quickly.

As soon as the door closed, Anzu dropped into one of the table chairs like melted butter. She put a hand over her heart, trying to catch her breath, but she barely gave herself enough time to recuperate before she was up, looking for the two brothers.

After looking around, she stopped in the middle of the living room, flapping her arms at her sides downheartedly. They were no where in the house. She felt an ache tug at her. She was alone again, in this big house.

"Don't worry, we're not leaving so soon." A low voice sounded behind her.

Anzu whipped around, her heart slightly swelling. Seto leaned on the wall in the hallway, Mokuba smiling brightly beside him. "I hid in your laundry." He giggled. "Seto just stood behind your tapestry."

Anzu raised a confused brow. How did Yami expect to find them if his guards weren't even trying? A thought snapped in Anzu's head. What if the pharaoh went to the sheep herder on the out skirts of their town and asked about her?? "You two HAVE to stay here, I have to go do something fast!!"

Seto looked confused, as well as Mokuba.

"Just stay here." She warned again, rushing out the back door and down the alley, light and agile on her bare feet even though the rocks were piercing her heels.

She made it to the sheep herders hut in ten minutes flat, banging on his door hurriedly. "Mutai! It's me!" She hissed.

A boy a little older than her, with fury red hair and deep crimson eyes opened the door. "What??"

"You have to do me a favor quick!"

He looked at her impatiently as she jumped up and down. "What is it then??"

"The pharaoh is here and he's looking for someone, when he comes here, if he asks about me, tell him that we delivered a lamb's babies in the rain yesterday!"

"What?? Why?? Anzu!! Did you house some thieves or something this time?!" He asked sternly.

"Not exactly thieves, but please Mutai! Please, please, please, please, please-"

"ALRIGHT! Just shut up you yappity girl!" He snapped, his brows furrowed in irritation. "I see you've got a cold, must be a product of your out saving some sand buried strangers. Ugh, you'll be the death of me! I got it covered, now you better hurry back home."

Anzu yipped loudly and hugged him, giving him a kiss on the cheek and racing from the hut shouting a thanks as she hurriedly headed back to her house.

Mutai watched her go, shaking his head with an amused smile.

Anzu smiled thoughtfully as she ran through the bunched allies. Mutai was such a great guy. A few weeks back she had housed a matter of five strangers from the desert in only a few days, some which were thieves, shunned citizens from other towns and just homeless wanderers that happened to get into a bad fight and needed attention. Anzu couldn't explain why she did what she did. She guessed she got lonely in her house with no one else and anyone was welcome, but if anything, Mutai would usually associate with her and help her out if things got fishy.

She raced into the back door, shutting it silently behind her, but she wasn't saved, the front door was being knocked on again!! She looked around, guessing Seto and Mokuba had gone into hiding yet again. So, she quickly rushed into her bathroom, looking down to her grimy and bloody feet, she cursed, quickly cleaning them the best she could and then shedding her garments, whipping a towel from its place in the pantry and wrapping it around herself, hurrying into the living room and opening the front door with an impatient face. "Yes?"

Jounouchi and Honda, her goofball friends, stood before her. "Hey Anzu, oh, uh you about to take a bath?" Honda noted.

Anzu just nodded her head impatiently. "Yes, can you guys come back over tomorrow, oh and tell Lady Kaede that I'm home and safe and sorry for not informing her."

Jou and Honda just shrugged and nodded, waving. "See ya tomorrow then."

"Bye!" She waved back cheerily, then shut the door forcefully. "GEEZ!!" She burst out, rolling her eyes.

She heard soft giggles from the hallway and Mokuba appeared. "You're popular."

"Heh, not exactly, but if you say so."

Seto appeared next with a dull face. "Show us this hiding place, we can't afford to be hiding where we are."

Anzu blinked rapidly. "Oh, sorry! Right this way." She said, hurrying down the hall and when they reached the dead end, she turned to another tapestry, lifting it and pressing the wall behind it, it surprisingly went back like a button and the wall in front of her opened. "That's it." She said, pointing down the set of stairs that led to a small room.

Seto and Mokuba nodded, kind of stunned.

Anzu looked away from them, pressing the almost invisible space in the wall again, the door closing, and she dropped the tapestry, walking toward the bathroom. She stopped before going in. "What's the pharaoh like, I've only seen him, though he seemed nice."

"Yami isn't exactly a brutal ruler, he show mercy." Mokuba piped up.

Seto nodded slightly. "And I think he knows we're here, he's not exactly stupid."

Anzu was a bit confused. "Well, if he thinks you're here and he hasn't slit my throat yet, he obviously doesn't want to kill you."

Seto just shrugged. "I don't know how he thinks really. If anything, I find his mercy sickening."

Anzu raised a brow. "I should just lop your head off right here." She grumpily told him.

Seto grinned. Mokuba slightly frowned.

"I'm taking a well deserved bath, you can do whatever you like." She said, waving a lazy hand as she closed her bathroom door, drawing water.

She angrily ranted to herself as she soaked in the tub. Seto was one of the most rudest people she'd ever saved, but Mokuba made it worth while.

She examined her feet, sighing agitatedly.

When she was dressed and bandaged, she reentered the living room where Seto and Mokuba sat just talking idly.

They both looked up as her footsteps neared.

"Have a nice bath?" Mokuba asked cheerily as she sat down beside him wearily.

Anzu only half hummed and grunted.

"Hm. Well, I'm going to go to bed, so I'll see you guys in the morning." The little boy said, hoping off the couch and going into Anzu's room, closing the door behind himself, leaving Seto and Anzu in silence.

Anzu side glanced to him. "You're more trouble than you're worth."

"Then turn me in."

"Maybe I will." She barked.

Seto only smirked, he seemed to enjoy irritating her.

"I'm sorry if we've caused you any inconvenience." He mumbled out, getting serious suddenly. "Thank you for housing me and my little brother."

Anzu looked at him, slightly shocked, but just shrugged lazily. "The least I can do." She mumbled back, her eye lids drooping.

She slipped in between sleep and consciousness as she had the feeling she was being moved and then something warm was placed over her, another warm object caressing her cheeks and then nothing.

TBC..

Well that was LONG, lol ^-^ You know, I'm up at 2 in the morning just doing this for no dang reason, this whole story idea just came to me out of the blue, but I hope ya liked it anyway, lol, should get interesting in the next chapter :P

~Asha