Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wish Upon a Star ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while! You know; school, homework, stress…Oh and chronic writers block; not a good combination. Well, I think I did well on this chapter. I actually think I put my heart into this. Well I hope you enjoy it! R&R, please!
 
Chapter 3
 
“Ryou, please!” Malik yelled running down the narrow side walks; pushing through the horde of people, “Listen to me.”
 
Ryou looked back at him; he had a scar down his right cheek and a black, bruise on his shoulder. His clothes were tattered and torn; Bakura had kicked him out the door and slammed the door shut. He knew he couldn't go back in so he started walking into the crowd to nowhere.
 
“Where are you going to go?” Malik asked reaching for Ryou's wrist, “Are you going to leave?” He pulled Ryou back and blinked; Ryou seemed so distant. Did he hear what he was saying at all? “What happened to you?”
 
“He happened to me!” Ryou yelled stopping in the middle of the crowd. A woman walked by him shaking her head and scowling at him. He turned back to Malik and gritted his teeth. He had to do something; even if it meant-.
 
“Ryou? Don't run away, please,” Malik started when he saw Yugi and his gang walking down the street. It was nearly clear now. Where had all the people gone? “You- you can't run away! That- that'd be the worst thing you could do.”
 
Ryou looked up at him and narrowed his eyes, “Then you'd rather me kill myself? Is that it?”
 
“No, no, Ryou, please, just stick it out a-little while longer,” Malik said blowing a golden bang behind his ear, “Come on, let's go to the park; it's a perfect day, but first maybe we should take you to the hospital.”
 
Ryou's eyes went wide and he took a deep breath, “No! Not the hospital; they'll ask me what happened; Bakura will hate me! He'll kill me!” He took a step back but stopped when a hand fell on his shoulder. He looked up slowly and stared into muddy brown eyes.
 
“Hiya, Ryou!”
 
He moved forward and tripped over a stone; skinning his knee, just another wound to deal with. He sighed and stood slowly.
 
“What happened ta you?” Ryou turned and sighed, it was Yugi and the rest of his peppy gang. He nearly despised them; they didn't understand; no one did. Jonouchi looked at him for a moment and then said, “Did Bakura did this?”
 
“W- What?” Ryou asked backing up against the wall he hadn't even noticed until now, “N- no, what gave you that idea?” He tried his best to chuckle, but it only came out as a low groan.
 
Jonouchi shrugged and stepped back behind Honda, still frowning; he knew. Yugi smiled and took a step toward Ryou, “Come on!” He said in his normal high pitched voice, “We're all going to my grandpa's card shop! We can go and-.”
 
“Um, no thank you, Yugi. Ryou and I have a-little something planned for today, but get back to us next time, ok,” Malik said hastily and pulled Ryou into the street, “Come on,” He whispered.
 
“Ok,” Ryou groaned and looked back at Jonouchi again. He knew; he had to. Ryou sighed; what would he do if this got out? Bakura would never love him if that happened, in fact he would probably hate him.
 
“Ryou, calm down,” Malik whispered as they passed the roaring cars until their feet landed on the concrete sidewalk. He knew it must have been hard for Ryou to keep it a secret, but he knew it didn't have to be. He should know that he could tell someone else; and worst of all, he couldn't even trust Jonouchi; who knew exactly how he felt. “Jonouchi-.”
 
“Jonouchi makes me so angry,” Ryou grumbled as he walked through the tall metal fence surrounding the park, “He acts like he knows how I feel, but how could he?” He walked to the bench he had been sitting on only this morning, and sat down again. He laid his head on his hands and watched as a black bird flew across the sky. Why couldn't he just grow wings and fly away?
 
“But- but he does, Ryou, his father abuses him. He knows what it's like; but he can handle it because everyone knows now. Don't you think it would be better if you told too?” Malik asked sitting beside him. Why didn't he want anyone to know?
 
Ryou didn't answer; he stared up at the sky again and sighed. Jonouchi didn't know shit about what he was going through. He could hate his father, but Ryou- Ryou couldn't hate Bakura. That was impossible. He looked at Malik again and sighed, “Jonouchi can hate the person who abuses him, but I can't. I can't hate Bakura; I love him, Malik, and I always will. There's no changing or denying it.”
 
The Egyptian sighed; he didn't know how this felt. He used to be able to connect with Ryou when he would ask him questions about the millennium items and being controlled by another spirit, but he when it came to this; all he could offer was empathy.
 
He put an arm around Ryou's shoulders and said, “You know I'm here for you, don't you Ryou?” He sighed when Ryou didn't respond. How helpless did he really feel?
 
“Are you really?” Ryou asked now staring at the still muddy ground; “I only see you every week; sometimes not even that much because you're with Marik all the time. So are you really there?”
 
“Of course I-,” Malik stopped. Was that true? Was that really how Ryou thought of him? He slumped slightly and looked at Ryou out of the corner of his eye, “Ryou, I know I'm busy a lot of the time, but I am here. Whenever you need me don't hesitate to call me.”
 
“But what if you're “busy”?” Ryou asked mockingly as he sat back against the back of the bench. It felt like he was going through hell and no one cared; like he was trapped in the fire with no escape.
 
Malik waited for Ryou's breath to become steady again and said, “I won't be; for you I'll give up a day with Marik. He's usually with Bakura anyway, please; just don't keep this inside all the time. That's what makes you angry, Ryou; that's what makes you hate the world.”
 
“No!” Ryou yelled standing. He nearly slipped in the mud and fell forward, but a firm hand held him up; he scrambled to his feet and turned, “Marik!” He yelled; “Where is Bakura! Why aren't you with him?”
 
Marik shook his head and held his hand out to Malik, “Let's go,” he said, “It's getting late.” He turned away from Ryou and looked at Malik who gestured to Marik in return.
 
“We were just in the middle of an important conversation, Marik, could you go-,” he started but stopped when Ryou began to speak.
 
“No, go, Malik. We were just finished,” he said and began to splash through the ankle-deep puddles back to the entrance of the park.
 
Malik sighed. Was Ryou destined to live like this? Would he always be in this situation? He watched as Ryou made his way out to the sidewalk and looked up at Marik. “Marik,” he began, “I have something to talk to you about.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Ryou twisted the frozen silver handle holding his breath; hoping, praying that Bakura had gone to bed. He stepped into the dark, shadowy room and flipped the light switch. A shadowy figure stood in the hallway; still and quiet.
 
“Bakura?” he whispered stepping forward on his toes. He could feel his heart jump when said man's icy cold hand wrapped around his wrist. He was pushed against the closed door and held there. “Bakura?”
 
No response; Bakura stood there holding one of Ryou's hands over his head. Ryou looked down at his other hand; a bottle dropped and shattered when it hit the floor. Red stained the floor, but this time it wasn't blood; it was-.
 
“Bakura?” Ryou started, “Did you drink again?” His voice went high and his heart moved like he had run a million miles. He felt the other hand hold his only remaining wrist to the door. He turned his face away from Bakura and closed his eyes. Not again.
 
Bakura breathed; the rank smell of alcohol filled the air. Ryou coughed and struggled against Bakura; it couldn't happen twice in a day. He finally got one of his hands free and pushed the broad man off him. With tears glazing his eyes he ran down the hallway to the room he called his own; the one place he was safe.
 
He twisted the lock and bolted the door; flipping the light switch; and pressed his back against the wall in the corner sliding down slowly to the floor. Tears broke through the solid wall he had built and ran down his face. It could never happen.
 
He stood slowly and walked to the window; kneeling in front of it he stared up at the sky. It was already dark; stars lit the dark night sky. He watched closely and blinked when a star shot across the sky; like a flashing light. He closed his eyes and simply whispered, “Make him love me.”
 
He opened his eyes and smiled at the stars as they winked at him. This had been his wish for consecutive nights for almost a year now. He was ready to give up, but knowing that Bakura was still in pain, made him want it even more.
 
He heard a rustle outside the window and stood scanning the ground outside the window. Nothing. He stepped back and sat on the bed; what could it have been? He jerked when the window opened and a shadowy figure stepped in.
 
Ryou gasped and fell off the bed; backwards. Rubbing his head he backed up against the wall; trying to get the figure into the light. His eyes widened when he realized who it was.
 
 
 
REVIEW FOR ME!! I WANNA KNOW IF IT'S GOOD OR NOT!! PLEASE!! <3!
 
P.S. I'm not good with tensed of lay…..so if I messed that up….GOMEN!!! (Sorry!)