Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Falling Petals ❯ Lesson 1: Princes and Flowers Don't Mix ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Aya: Wow, Kurama, you need therapy
Kurama: You're the one that mad me this way!!
Aya: * nervous laugh*
Yukina: Disclaimer: Aya does not own Yu Yu Hakusho.

Warnings: yaoi. KxH, ShishixSuzuki, TouyaxJin, YokoxYomi, and others. Past KxKuro

One sided: KarasuxKurama, MukuroxHiei

Hyper Botan, doesn't-give-a-damn-if-his-son-is-happy Koenma.



Lesson 1-Gardening and Princes Don't Mix

Reikai was a prosperous, lovely place, where everyone seemed to believe in old customs and true love. Kurama hated it. Now, Kurama was the only son to the King and Queen, King Koenma and Queen Botan, but his mannerisms never seemed to be perfect enough for the perfect couple in the perfect kingdom. You see, Kurama was pretty. Very pretty. He had long, soft locks of rose red hair, and big, green orbs he called eyes. His skin was a creamy white, and soft to the touch. His parents had tried, again and again, to cut his hair, but Kurama would always, mind you, kindly, refuse. He liked his hair long. He always wore oriental outfits, with soft colors. At first glance, or at fifth and sixth glance, he could be mistaken for a girl.

He was the oldest child, and only son of the royal family of Reikai. He had a younger sister, Hinageshi, who had more of an orangish-reddish hair, and blue eyes. She wore stylish dresses, showing off her flat- breasts and absolutely no physique. Her voice was so shrill, and Kurama had naturally developed sharp senses, that he often tried to avoid her. Kurama was only 15, though, and Hinageshi was 14.

"Prince Kurama." a servant oni requested. Kurama looked up from his hiding place in the library. "Prince Kurama, are you in here?" the oni, George, asked. Silence passed. "Prince Kurama, please come out! Your father has summoned you!" George pleaded. Kurama sighed. If he didn't come out, George would likely be punished, and he couldn't have that. He was the only person in the entire Reikai kingdom who actually understood why Kurama hated the place so much. "I'll be there shortly." Kurama stated, putting down his book. He still concealed his hiding place, however. George sighed in relief . "Thank you. I'll tell your father, His Majesty." George said, and left. Kurama crept out of the shadows.

Along with his naturally high senses, he was great in thievery and stealth. His princely duties, however, threatened his interests. Princes only needed to know battle techniques, basic knowledge of math and literature , fencing, mannerisms, and how to sit, talk, and walk properly. Kurama cringed as he reflected back on his lessons. The lessons themselves were dull and boring enough, but the instructors just made him want to gag. Or fall asleep.

He did well in fencing and martial techniques, but he never was fond of swords. He liked whips better. He also managed to tap into his reikai abilities to manipulate plants. In the reikai kingdom, you are only allowed to live in it if you have at least a small amount of reikai. However, recently, people have decided they rather not learn to tap into their reikai powers, and instead, learn embroidery, dance, and how to fight with swords.

Kurama loved his reikai ability, because ever since he was little, he loved plants. However, he couldn't spend any time on flowers or gardening, he had to be a prince. And princes don't fondle over silly flowers and trees. But they fascinated him, the way they were so beautiful but deadly, all at the same time. His thoughts flashed back to a certain person.

//" You know, Kurama...you're just like a rose. And I don't mean your looks. You are absolutely stunning and beautiful, but you have a dangerous aura, like the thorns of a rose."//

Kurama shook his head and pushed the memories into the hidden depths of his mind. Kurama smirked at his control. His mind was also dangerous as well. Not even the best telepathic could tell what he was thinking. His mind was too controlled, and they only knew what he wanted them to.

He quickly changed into something somewhat appropriate. An oriental outfit with cream colored pants and a light blue shirt thing, and a yellow ribbon tied around the waist. He walked to his father's study, as calm as ever. When he walked in, he found, surprisingly (but didn't let it show), his father, mother, and Hinageshi. Across the table from them was a boy, probably 18, with long, black hair and piercing violet eyes. He was dressed in black pants, and a black long-sleeved shirt. The sight of him made Kurama's skin crawl. Next to the strange boy was an older man, and Kurama recognized him as King Rando, King of the Swamp of Sorrow kingdom (a/n: don't ask where I got the name, I don't think it has any meaning other than the fact that Rando lost to Yusuke, due to swamp algae .) .

Kurama bowed slightly, like trained to do in mannerisms. He controlled the urge not to twitch. "Father, you summoned me?" Kurama stated, more than asked. King Koenma nodded. "Yes. Please sit down, Kurama." he said. Kurama didn't like that. Whenever he sat down, it was either bad news or something big is going to happen...involving him. Kurama remembered the last time he had to sit down. He wiped that memory away before it could show on his face. He did as instructed to.

"Kurama, I'm sure you know about King Rando, of the Swamp of Sorrow kingdom." Koenma said. Kurama nodded. "This is his son, Karasu." Koenma began. "Pleased to meet you. You are more beautiful in person then you are in pictures or words." Karasu complimented. Kurama could hear Hinageshi giggle, and he resisted the urge to gag. "Thank you. It is a pleasure to meet you as well." Kurama replied politely, smiling his usual dazzling smile that covered up what he was really thinking. Kurama , you and Karasu are to...be wed." Koenma said, faltering slightly.

Now, Kurama wasn't the type to burst into tears, or into a murderous rampage, but he sure as hell felt like doing that now. He paled, quite visibly. "What...?" he squeaked. "I said, you and Karasu are to be wed." Koenma stated again, more clearly. Karasu smiled. "Don't worry, dear prince, I'll make sure ALL your needs are taken care of." Karasu said. Kurama was too stunned to talk, and his once calm mind was racing 100 miles an hour. Had his father finally lost it?!! "Kurama, Karasu will be good for you. He'll finally shape you into the proper prince you could always be!" Queen Botan supplied, trying to help. It wasn't helping.

"I heard Karasu is good in bed, too!" Hinageshi giggled. "Hinageshi! That is hardly proper talk for a princess!" Botan scolded. Karasu smirked. "Although I thank you for the comment." he said. Everyone became silent when Kurama stood up briskly. "I will not marry him." Kurama said, deadly serious. Koenma looked incredously at his son. "Kurama, be reasonable! This is the best arrangement we could find for you and it was all in your benefit--" Koenma started, but was interrupted. "In MY benefit?! Do you actually think I want to marry someone?! What if I said I'll never marry?!" Kurama shouted. "Don't you dare shout at me." Koenma said coldly. Kurama matched his father's glare, anger spiking. "I-will-not-marry-him." Kurama stated, then quickly turned and left.

Koenma sighed and sat back down. "I'm sorry, Lord Rando. Kurama can be...stubborn." Koenma said. Rando nodded. "It's okay, I understand. However, will we still go through with the plans?" Rando questioned. Koenma looked at Karasu. "It is all your decision, Karasu. You've seen how he can act, and we've told you how challenging and stubborn he can be. Do you still agree?" Koenma asked. Karasu nodded. "I always liked a challenge." he replied. "Very well, then it's decided." Koenma said.

*~~~~~~~~*

"Me?! Marry HIM?!! What in all the hells were they thinking?!!" Kurama yelled, pacing back and forth in the garden. Shuuichi, a servant boy and friend, smiled faintly. "Milord, calm down. Or you'll ruin the grass." Shuuichi stated softly. Kurama immediately stopped pacing and sat cross-legged on the ground. "Sorry. And I said you can stop calling me royal names when we're alone. You can call me Kurama." Kurama said. Shuuichi nodded. "So, you're going to marry the creep, huh? He gave me the chills when I saw him." Shuuichi shuddered.

"Yes. Where in the three kingdoms did they get the idea we would make a good couple?" Kurama pondered. Shuuich i shrugged. "Maybe it's the hair." Shuuichi suggested. Kurama glared at him. "Not funny." Shuuichi laughed. "Well, whatcha gonna do?" Shuuichi asked, on his elbows, with his stomach on the ground. Kurama shrugged. "Maybe I'll just commit suicide." Kurama said dryly. "That's terribly un-prince like!" Shuuichi mock-scolded. Kurama smiled faintly, a real smile.

"Well, sorry to cut short, but I gotta get my pay and go home. My ma hates it when I'm late!!" Shuuichi said, standing up. "Well, thanks anyway. Goodbye, Shuuichi!" Kurama called after the boy, and Shuuichi waved and dashed out of sight. Kurama was now left alone in the gardens. "Maybe I will just commit suicide." Kurama said gloomily.

"Suicide? Why so rash, young prince?" a voice asked. Kurama looked around, but saw no one. He sharpened his senses, and looked towards the edge of the field, where the wild brushes lie . He heard smug laughter. "I see you have gifted senses. And here I thought all of Reikai became fools and forgot them." the voice said smugly. "They still are fools. Are you going to show yourself or not?" Kurama questioned. The voice laughed again. "Of course, my prince." the voice replied.

Soon after, a silver fox leapt out of the brush. It was a rather large fox, obviously a kitsune. It had soft-looking, silver fur and golden eyes. It sat down a little away from Kurama. "Whatever distresses you that you think of ending your own dear life?" the fox inquired. "It is rude to ask questions of a stranger's life when you have not introduced yourself." Kurama stated.

"Of course, of course. I am Yoko, a kitsune." the kitsune replied. "My name is Kurama. Prince Kurama of the Reikai." Kurama said, reluctant to say the last part. Right now, he hated the fact he was a prince. Scratch that, he hated he was prince ever since he was old enough to walk and talk. "Pleased to meet you. Now, why is it you wish to end your life?" Yoko asked again. Kurama sighed.

"Because my loving (*koff* MAJOR SARCASM *koff*) parents are forcing me to marry some creepy prince named Karasu." Kurama sighed. Yoko nodded in understanding. "And you don't want to? Sensible of you, he is a creepy fellow, isn't he?" Yoko stated. "And, I don't know what to do." Kurama said dryly. "Well, ending your life is a horrible choice. How about a duel?" Yoko suggested. "I am more of an expertise in whips, not swords." Kurama answered. "Hm. How about poisoning him?" Yoko offered. "Oh, so I can't end my own life but I can end his? That's circular logic. Besides, my sense of smell is too strong that if I smell pure poison, I might faint. Pathetic, ne?" Kurama joked half-heartedly. He began to wonder why he was baring his soul to a kitsune.

"Yes, that would be a problem. But I got an idea. Do you know the town of Twin Stars?" Yoko asked. Kurama nodded. "Good, be there tomorrow, in the afternoon. No later, no earlier. Be in the Town square, and sit by the fountain. Bring a red rose with you, and merely look at it, and nothing else. Don't respond to anyone. Don't look at anyone. Concentrate on the rose, and only the rose." Yoko instructed. Kurama raised and eyebrow. "And what is a rose supposed to help me with?" Kurama questioned. "I bid you farewell and good luck, lovely prince. May you find happiness." Yoko said, dashing off. "Wait!" Kurama called after him, but Yoko was already out of sight. "Twin Stars..." Kurama mumbled, walking back to his room.

*Next day~~~*

"I'm going out." Kurama said at breakfast. "Where?" Koenma asked suspiciously. Kurama only smiled at him. "To the town of Twin Stars. I would like to get a last look at it, before I am to wed Karasu." Kurama said softly. The room got quiet. "Does that mean you've finally accepted?!" Botan asked, hopeful. Like they gave me a choice... , Kurama thought annoyed to himself, but only smiled at his mother. "Can I go, father?" Kurama asked. Koenma thought this over. "Well..." Koenma started. "Oh, of course you can go! You've made me and your father so happy, Kurama!!" Botan chirped happily. Karasu glanced at his betrothed, and Rando looked satisfied.

*~Twin Star town square~~*

Kurama sat, by the edge of a pond, fingering a rose, just like instructed. He'd followed the kitsune's advice this far, no reason to quit now. Kurama studied the rose, allowing his mind to revert back to certain events.

//Flashback//

A 10 yr old boy sat in the middle of the blood-splattered room, paralyzed. His waist-length red hair was soaked and matted with blood, and his green eyes were wide with fear and surprise. He was splattered with blood, just like the room. Corpses were everywhere, but his eyes were on one single corpse. The boy outstretched one hand.

"Kuro...?" his small voice choked out. No response. A single red rose was between the boy and the body, and it, too, was soaked in blood. In the blood of the person the boy held most dear. In the blood of the corpse that lay barely inches from the boy's outstretched hand.


//End flashback//

Kurama broke out of his reverie when a single drop of blood fell from finger. He had cut himself on a thorn. He merely stared at the red trail of liquid left behind. "I...won't live for them. I will live for you, and only you." Kurama whispered to himself. He heard a scream. He would have snapped his head up, but remembered the kitsune's advice. He kept his eye on the rose. More screaming, and now he could smell the smoke. Someone must have torched a house. Blood splattered in front of him.

He focused everything on the rose. He heard the cries of men, women, even children, before they were drowned out by blood and fire. Kurama only saw the rose. The red rose. The rose of blood. His eyes would not allow a single tear drop, and he sat there, studying the rose.

Not long, the screams died down, but the fire was still thick. "Congratulations, young prince. You have shown obedience , intellect, sense, and even courage. Most people take off running when they hear the first scream." a voice said. It was followed by footsteps, and Kurama could sense a figure standing in front of him. "You can stop looking at the rose now. It is I, Yoko." the voice said. Kurama's head snapped up at the name. His eyes were met by a young man, maybe 19, with long, silver hair and gold eyes. He wore white silk pants, and a white shirt. A silver tail came out of his butt area. He was quite tall, maybe 3 heads taller than Kurama himself.

"Yoko..?" Kurama questioned, uncertain. Yoko nodded. "The form I was in when we met is usually the form I occupy when I escape authority. This is my real form." Yoko answered his silent question. Kurama finally took a look around. The town was generally burnt, but he saw no one. "We buried them." Yoko replied. "They, the people in this town I mean, have been killing demons for fun as of late, so we just gave them what they deserved." Yoko stated. "And who are you to decide whether someone should live or die?" Kurama asked coldly. Yoko was taken aback by the question, but regained his composure. "Don't misunderstand, Kurama, we did this to stop a demon's curse. This town's latest kill placed a curse on them, so we ended it before it could spread. It was a plague." Yoko informed him. Kurama kept silent.

"Anyway, prince, I'll give you a choice." Yoko started. Kurama raised an eyebrow as Yoko smirked. "You can join me and my gang, we're a bunch of thieves so you know, or you can go back to your kingdom." Yoko finished. It was silent for a moment. "It would be foolish for me to go back to the kingdom if I'm trying to run away from it, ne? So I guess that leaves one option." Kurama said. Yoko smirked as Kurama stood up. "Lead the way?" Kurama asked mock-polite. Yoko chuckled, and led him out of town.







*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Aya: Okay, now REVIEW! I guess I can accept flamesT.T
Yusuke : *snicker*
Yukina : But try to be nice. TRY.
Aya: Yeah! *sniffle*












< br>













< br>