Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Riazen's Story 2 - Dark Tears ❯ The Family ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Riazen's Story 2 - Dark Tears
Chapter 7
A Family
 
 
Yusuke examined himself in the mirror.
Not bad. He thought. He wore the cloths Leslie gave him. Forest green fighting pants with pitch-black designs going down the sides, as well as a matching shirt. He took a deep breath and left the room. He crossed the main room receiving and encouraging was from Kuwabara as he left. The forest looked so mysterious at night. The air was warm, but not buggy thanks to the breezes that constantly came and left. Yusuke saw Youko standing a few yards in front of him. His silver hair shined brilliantly under the moonlight. His pure white robes glowed like the moon. Wordlessly he led Yusuke through a dark swirling portal and they found themselves in a forest. Dark mysterious shadows lingered everywhere; the pale moon was the only light. The approached a clearing surrounded by 70-foot walls of stone. Youko walked in the entry in silence, the guards watched as he stepped inside. Yusuke followed him, wordlessly. Inside was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Fields of brightly colored wild flowers grew everywhere among the lush green grass. Smooth logs were made like benches in a circle around a heap of branches, which Yusuke guessed, would be a bonfire soon. Children of all ages were running around or sitting on the grass playing, their cheeks pink from happiness. Men had on fighting cloths and tunic's. Each one look like how a father would look at the sight of his new baby. Yet Yusuke knew they were strong warriors, not to be underestimated, by the swords and arrows by their sides. Woman wore bright skirts and had their hair tied back fancily. All but a few, who were dressed in belly shirts and cut off jean shorts, they looked like teenagers, their eyes sparkling and their velvety hair flowing down their shoulders. The sent of roses drifted through the air, he could almost taste the juicy looking fruit on a small tree. Giggling and laughter of the children as well as the chattering of adults filled the air. A breeze carried through the air, its refreshing feeling passed through Yusuke.
“Whoa,” Yusuke said.
“Yes,” replied Youko, the first time he had spoken.
“Many demons would give their lives just to see what your looking at: True peace.” Yusuke eyed the swords at the men's sides. Youko saw this and laughed.
“Well, maybe not TRUE PEACE, this area has been attacked many times, we need to defend ourselves just as much, if not more than any demon.” They sat down on one of the logs. It was the first time that Yusuke really felt comfortable with Youko around.
“Tell me about it,” he said. Youko looked uncertain. “Come on,” Yusuke insisted.
“Well, okay, it was nearly 10,000 years ago, or so goes the legend. I, of course was not born yet but I know that we fox demons had a colony here. We fox demons were peaceful people most of us had never touched a weapon in our lives. We were a disgrace to all of Demon World. One-day dozens of Bounty Hunters barged into our land killing foxes, burning homes and terrorizing children. They were all after one thing: the prize. The leader of the demon government wanted a Silver Fox coat, the rarest fur in all three worlds. He would grant and man or demon any wish if he could catch enough silver skins of silver fox demons and sew it together with silver fox hair to make him a coat,” Youko paused to run a hand through his own long silver hair. “They caught anything they could find, skin of man, skin of woman, even skin of children. More foxes died that day than all of these years put together. And even though the demon governor perished long ago, the idea still lives on, many demons and men of Spirit World still find it amusing to flay us alive and make our fur and hair into clothing.”
“So, is that way you hated me at first? You thought I'd be just like them?” Youko nodded.
“But now I know differently.” Yusuke grinned.
In the corner, Yusuke noticed something, there stood a fountain, about 8ft tall. It was an angel caved of smooth pure white stone. The angel was a she. She had long wavy hair, flowing down her shoulders and past her waist. Her eyes were filled with sadness. Her full lips were slightly parted. Her face was tilted down and tears where dripping from her eyes into a large bowl in her hands. The bowl had a circle of stone roses with a crescent moon in the middle carved into the stone. There was a garden of stone flowers under her bare feet. Her large angel wings were draped around her body like a cape.
“And who's that?” he asked.
“Her?” asked Youko nodding toward the statue. “She is known as the Angel Of Lost or Forgotten Souls. Or, sometimes referred to as the Maiden Of the Foxes. She is, in legend, known to deliver the souls of outcasts, much like ourselves.”
“So, if I were to die and actually stay dead, I would have seen her?” Yusuke asked.
“Maybe,” said Youko. “She is supposed to only deliver outcasts who A) lead very noble lives B) who died at the age of innocence or C) those who lead very painful lives. I guess one of those could be relative to you.” Yusuke glared, and then he heard a high-pitched noise, like the scream of a child. Everyone became dead silent as a shadow fell over Yusuke, the shadow of the dark figure standing right behind him…