Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Origami Origins ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: WK belongs to Koyasu Takehito and associates, I make no money from this.
 
Origami Origins
 
 
Aya wasn't quite sure how it started. Wasn't sure how they had discovered the common link (beyond killing and working in a flower shop together).
 
But they had, and now there was no turning back.
 
It had started off so simply. Aya had smirked and raised an eyebrow in a challenge. Yohji had smirked back, you're on.
 
The flower shop was empty and now had seemed as good a time as any, and besides he was bored.
 
With a few crisp folds, no wasted movement, his hands moving before his brain could even form the thought - it had been a while, but the body never forgot.
 
And with a smug grin, he was finished.
 
A swan.
 
Simple and elegant.
 
Classical.
 
An easy way to gauge his opponent.
 
Yohji had rebutted with a frog.
 
One of the first shapes learnt.
 
Yet it matched Aya's in complexity and theme.
 
Omi had arrived then, and oohed and aahed over the shapes.
 
Aya had rolled his eyes at Yohji who grinned. Amateurs. The swan and frog were not worthy of awe.
 
***XXX***
 
It happened again, the very next time the blonde and the redhead were alone in the shop together, bored and with no customers. This time it was Yohji who had issued the challenge.
 
The blonde had pulled out a packet of white computer paper when Aya was distracted, and started folding. It was the sound of paper ripping that had attracted Aya's attention.
But the blonde was secretive and kept his work hidden from the eyes of the redhead.
 
Aya, distracted by the door bell chiming and the imminent customer forgot the blonde. When the younger assassin returned to his worktable after getting up to get the customer her pre-ordered bouquet, he was greeted by a peacock.
 
Slightly more complicated than the frog, and it required a second sheet of paper.
 
Aya rose from his chair, stalked towards the blonde and snatched some computer paper from Yohji who just grinned from his spot behind the register.
 
It was on.
 
xxx****xxx
 
Challenging Yohji was both easier and harder than Aya had expected. It was difficult to try and find the perfect fold that was in his repertoire, managed to fit the theme that they had started and that didn't up the ante too much: making the challenge too difficult, too fast. Dinosaurs were out and so were insects. The beaver would not be a bad response to Yohji's unicorn.
 
XXXxxxXXX
 
Aya wasn't sure about a lot of things.
 
He wasn't sure exactly when their team-mates got involved, but get involved they did.
 
Ken had built a stage for their creations, including their first, and set it up in the shop. Omi had brought them coloured paper to help bring their models to life and he began to schedule the two older assassins together more often in the shop saying that it brought out their creativity. Neither Aya nor Yohji was inclined to argue, and Ken didn't mind fewer hours spent in the shop with the annoying blonde or the silent redhead.
 
Aya wasn't sure when he began to notice Yohji.
 
Wasn't sure when he began wondering what had caused the blonde to learn the art of origami in the first place, what had drawn him. Paper folding required a discipline that before this Aya would never have thought existed within Yohji; it required a need for stillness and solitude, and practise. Clearly, the playboy was more than he seemed.
 
And so Aya had begun to observe, discreetly of course, usually while Yohji was folding, but sometimes even when he wasn't.
 
Aya had discovered that the eldest assassin stuck his tongue out slightly while thinking, a habit that the redhead found slightly endearing. And that when folding Yohji's hair always flopped into his face, no matter how tightly he fixed it back, and Aya's hands craved to push it back, so that he could see the expression in Yohji's eyes. And that Yohji really only smoked when he was bored, and since the origami challenge had begun Aya had only caught him smoking twice. Most of all Aya had realised that Yohji didn't go out as often as Aya had thought he did, that although he flirted with everyone who came in to the shop, he never seemed serious about them.
 
In the end, after all his observations had been noted Aya came to the most obvious conclusion that Yohji liked origami because it was a mystery, and the ex-detective loved mysteries. How many secrets could one piece of paper hold?
 
Aya like origami because it was a way of focussing the mind on a task and because it was a puzzle.
 
And so their interests overlapped.
 
Most of all Aya wasn't too sure about how he felt about the blonde.
 
xxxXXXXxxx
 
The fan girls in the shop were on Yohji's side. Or at least Yohji was willing to accept their help, a fact which caused Aya to burn with some unknown feeling.
 
The girls' help usually involved reaching around Yohji to hold a piece of paper in place and thus half-hugging his blonde. Was it any wonder that Aya did not want his fan girls' `help'?
 
To be fair, there were a few of the girls who would actually aid Yohji, especially in his quest to come up with an idea on what to fold, and even at times how to fold.
 
Yohji's corner had become an impromptu origami interest group.
 
Omi retaliated by getting Aya a book to even the competition.
 
XxXxXx
 
The stage/box that Ken had built was nearly full, there were trees galore, birds in flocks, and animals in numbers, yet neither Aya nor Yohji had managed to stump the other in complexity.
 
Then Yohji twisted the game by giving Aya a flat sheet of paper with folds in it already.
 
And words, random words, written on the paper.
 
It had taken Aya half a day to discover that if he folded the paper exactly as the folds intended then he would have an elephant and that the words were now aligned to read a gibberish message.
 
It had taken the redhead two and a half days more to decode the message: Can you crack this code?
 
Within two hours of the redheaded assassin cracking the code and feeling accomplished, he discovered two flat sheets of paper with creases from previous folds and both sheets were once again filled with a random assortment of kanji written by Yohji.
 
XxxxXxxxX
 
It was night and Aya couldn't sleep, not till he had solved the puzzle. He was alone in his room with nothing but the two sheets of paper for company.
 
A nautilus.
 
That was an easy one. To fold anyway.
 
The code made no sense; it was just random numbers.
 
Aya put it aside and tackled the second sheet of paper.
 
He sat on his bed; his room was dark with only his bedside lamp on for light.
 
The assassin imagined Yohji's fingers sliding over the paper, caressing the paper to make folds and imagined those same fingers touching him.
 
Aya blinked, and the illusion shattered.
 
The paper folded into a simple square with four triangles on top, and on each triangle a code for a different number.
 
A children's game. Designed to tell your fortune. What on earth was the oldest assassin thinking?
 
Aya remembered making this for Aya-chan, you were supposed to stick your index fingers and your thumbs in the space provided and do…something.
 
Oh well, he didn't need to play. The other piece of paper had given him the number sequence.
 
XxxXxxXxx
 
An hour later and Aya was becoming increasingly frustrated.
 
In the end he had to resort to the chibi who hopefully would not be able to crack the code in the brief time he had the toy in his hand, in order to show Aya how to operate it.
 
An embarrassing ten minutes later, where Aya did not explain why he was playing children's games, Aya had finally figured out what to do.
 
Now for the code.
 
Four. Nine. Raise flap.
 
One. In. Two. Out. Three. In. Four. Out.
 
One. In. Two. Out. Three. In. Four. Out. Five. In. Six. Out. Seven. In. Eight. Out. Nine.
 
Raise flap.
 
Aya read and scribbled the kanji onto another sheet of paper.
 
Three. Eight. Raise flap.
 
Aya followed the instructions and scribbled the new kanji below the old.
 
Four, three. The last set and then he could decode.
 
Aya sat down and easily decoded the message, it wasn't complicated after all, only six words.
 
Will
 
You
 
Go
 
Out
 
With
 
Me?
 
Aya's reply was simple and eloquent. A red piece of paper folded into a carnation left taped to Yohji's door.
 
 
 
 
Solid carnation: yes
Red carnation: my heart aches for you.
 
 
Okay peeps that's it. Tell me if you like it.
Here's some info for those who don't know what origami is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami
 
And I did a general search for origami structures but here's a link to a nice gallery:
http://www.origami.com/gallery.html
 
And of course if you're wondering what the hell was the children's game that Aya had to figure out how to play:
http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~as0bgr/moscow.html< /div>
 
Last but not least, Aya's reply in flower came from:
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/flowerlanguage.html